Chapter Three – Backlash

When the news reached the Slytherin table, Malfoy quickly made his exit with a sharp glance from Snape, who'd been keeping tabs on him. After all, Draco Malfoy wasn't exactly the poster boy for Slytherin house anymore. It seemed all of his house mates knew he'd been in hiding over the summer. The only reason that he'd returned to Hogwarts was for the safety it provided. Besides, Professor Snape could not refuse the position of Headmaster, it was something he'd longed for. His mother was in Hogsmeade, with Snape as her secret keeper.

Hearing steps coming quickly up behind him, Draco hurried to find a safe place to duck and wait for the worst to blow over. He was only a hands width away from Snape's private rooms when the first hex hit him from behind. Draco screamed and dropped to the floor.

A corridor away Harry Potter froze in his tracks. Was that a scream? Something was horribly wrong. He looked at the nearest portrait which was of King Arthur. "Excuse me? Did you just hear a scream?"

"Why yes young man, I did. I do believe it was a corridor over." The portrait looked behind him. "Ah yes, they seem to be hexing a young man with the most beautiful blond hair…" Harry didn't wait for him to finish, but took off running - wand at the ready.

Draco writhed as the sensation of his back on fire ripped through him, as he wished he were dead. Pushing himself up off the cold stone floor with shaking arms, the blond looked into the eyes of his fellow Slytherins. It seemed the entire House was here. He glared at them all with every last reserve he had. They might kill him, but they could never rip him of his heritage. He was a Malfoy and would die as such. Pride filled his face. "Kill me then, or are you too cowardly to do so? Hexes in the back are the act of cowards."

"Petrificus totalus!" one yelled. Once he was petrified a few of them kicked him sharply in the ribs and legs. Then they dragged him into the nearest room, locking the door behind them.

"Open his mouth!" cried another and yet a third stepped forward unstopping a vial.

Draco looked up to see Pansy Parkinson of all people smirking down at him. "Don't worry Malfoy, it’s a very fast acting poison." She tipped his head back.

The door suddenly blew off its hinges and Harry Potter stood in the doorway with Headmaster Snape at his back. With a mere wave of his wand, Snape knocked everyone unconscious with a general sleeping spell. Harry dove to stop the drop of poison from hitting Draco's open mouth. Instead it sizzled away at Draco's robe, leaving a gaping hole where the Slytherin patch once was. "Finite Incantarum," Harry whispered.

Draco gasped. Harry helped pull him upright. Wood ran in, and upon seeing the Slytherins immobilized and Draco on the floor quickly put two and two together. He got to work binding the students up until they could be dealt with properly. Harry sat next to Draco, unconsciously holding the blond as he trembled. Snape nodded at him and helped Wood to deal with the students leaving Harry holding Draco.

"I suppose I picked a very good day to make friends with you, Harry. If it wasn't for you…" Draco began in a shaky voice realizing exactly how close he'd come to death.

Harry shook his head. "Let's not go there. I happened to overhear what you said. I'd been putting my head to each closed door to find you. That was really brave."

"Brave? Stupid really! I pushed them into action." Draco sighed and leaned heavily against Harry for a moment. "I just didn't want them to have the satisfaction of knowing how scared I was."

Harry nodded pulling Draco a bit closer as the blond shuddered unconsciously. "I know I was. I'm not really sure where the strength came from to blast open that door like that. I'm not even sure where Snape came from. Are you…are you okay, Draco?"

Draco nodded but coughed up blood at that moment, making his words invalid. Snape swooped down out of nowhere pouring a potion down Draco's throat. "Help your Head of House, Potter. I'm taking Mr. Malfoy down to the Infirmary," Snape's voice cracked just a bit revealing that even he had feelings, at least when it came to Draco. Harry eased out of the way and hurried to help Oliver, so he could follow Snape and check on Draco.

They finished quickly and Snape contacted the Ministry who took the students away. Apparently the Ministry no longer took chances and the students were to stand trial for attempted murder. Especially once they confirmed that the poison they were about to use was none other than Voldemort's favorite. Despite wanting to go to the Infirmary with Draco, Oliver made Harry return to class, where he quickly filled Hermione and Ron in on the day's events.

Headmaster Snape had no choice. With Draco Malfoy in the Infirmary after a murder attempt and the entire upper years of Slytherin House involved he dissolved the House. It was something that never had been done in the history of the school and he could hardly believe it had come to this. Word spread very quickly that Slytherin house was no more. The only students that had not taken part in the attempted murder were First Years. It was obvious to the rest of the Houses that something would have to be done. But there had been no sign of Headmaster Snape, so all they could do was wait. Rumors ran rampant from Hogwarts closing at last to the Death Eaters returning to kill them all for not letting the Slytherin's murder Malfoy. Some students even suggested leaving him out on the front lawn!

Even the teachers had given up trying to get anything accomplished in class. All could sense a great change was about to take place. This was further compounded when all the Heads of Houses were called to Headmaster Snape's office to discuss the situation. The students had been given the last class of the day off and were to wait in their dormitories until dinner.

Harry had been asked to recount his story over and over until his throat hurt. He was actually relieved when Madame Pomfrey showed up to escort him to the Infirmary.

"Is he okay?" Harry had asked immediately as she entered the Gryffindor Common Room. He'd been climbing the walls with silent worry over Draco's condition.

She smiled and nodded. "Mr. Malfoy has asked for your presence Potter. Now get a move on." Harry's grin was blinding.

Ron groaned and Hermione smacked him in the arm at this. Harry shrugged, still smiling then hurried after Poppy. When the portrait closed behind him there was even more rumor and innuendo cast about. Ron dragged Hermione off to one side. "He likes him. I'm telling you this is terrible!" Hermione was forced to agree.