Date: May 18, 2005
Size: 42.5 kb PG13
Word Count: 936
Beta’d by Allexandrya
.










Charles Kawalsky was my friend. He could really read people like nobody’s business. It was Kawalsky that let me know Daniel had certain feelings toward me. Even dying on that damn table he looked at me in that way that said “just look to your side, Colonel.”

Daniel was there for me the whole time. It’s something that has always been a constant for me. But to be honest it scares the hell out of me. Yeah, I don’t know a lot about it. As I once said to Teal’c “It’s a human thing. We tend to be afraid of things we don’t know.”

Just as Teal’c vowed to prove to us all he was worthy of our trust, Daniel has been doing the same. Even though Teal’c was coming from the outside in, Daniel was doing the same from a different angle. At first I thought he was just some nerd scientist. But we got to be friends.

The biggest lie I ever told was when I told Daniel our friendship didn’t have much of a foundation. Nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, we’ve had our share of fights and disagreements. But I respect Daniel. He means the world to me.

Sam thinks I think of Daniel as a grown up Charlie. She couldn’t be more wrong. What she saw was my affection for Daniel. I pat everyone on the back, but I only ruffle Daniels’ hair. He lets me get away with it. I’ve read his file. Daniel needs affection like no one else. But this week I think broke him. His wife is dead, now Abydos is gone too. That’s why I’m headed for his place right now. I even stopped and bought that fancy wine he loves so much. He’ll need a drink. Maybe even more. If he reaches out, I’m going to make damn sure it’s me he reaches out for.

If Kawalsky could see me shaking in my boots with a bottle of wine in my hand at Daniel’s door he’d have a good laugh. I can’t remember the last time I was this nervous. It’s like my first date all over again. But I pull myself together and knock on the door.

“Hi, Jack,” Daniel looks tired, fragile and lonely. I hand him the wine. “You’re amazing, Jack. This is what I need.” He turned to walk toward the kitchen. Closing the door behind me I followed just in time to be handed a beer. Gotta love Daniel. I haven’t been here in ages but he has a beer in the refrigerator for me. I grin back.

Daniel pours himself out some wine but it splashes out because his hands are shaking. “Daniel.” I take the bottle away and he hangs his head.

“Jack,” he whispers. I gather him up into my arms. He’s too tired to even fight me. I grab the bottle of wine, the glass and my beer herding him toward the sofa. Sitting down next to him I pour out the wine for him.

“Drink, this calls for it,” I nudge and he drinks it down with a sigh.

“Yeah, I need to forget at least for a little while,” Daniel admits drinking down another round.

“That’s why I’m here, big fella. Anyway I can help you forget, I’m your man,” I smiled. I couldn’t make it clearer, could I? People seem to think Daniel is naïve but I know better.

“I love you, Jack,” Daniel says so softly I can just barely hear him.

“Right back at you, Daniel. I mean that,” I reply amazed at what a sap the guy has turned me into.

He grinned, leaned over, touching my knee for balance, and then kissed me. I was too stunned at first to respond. Daniel pulled back looking hurt then I grabbed his neck, hauling him into my lap for some serious make out time. This time I think it was Daniel who was stunned.

But those moans he was making told me I was doing something right. When I decided we better put the brakes on it before I took advantage of him, I pulled him down to lay next to me and just held him. Eventually we moved to the bed because the couch wasn’t made for two grown men. It was very tempting to do more than we already had, but instead we just had a bit of a recap before he fell asleep in my arms.

When Daniel woke he looked at me full of those insecurities just as I knew he’d be. “It’s okay, Daniel. You didn’t imagine it. I do love you… enough that I’m not about to kiss you with morning mouth.”

Daniel laughed rolled over opened up his nightstand drawer and took out a pack of mints. He popped one into my mouth. We proceeded to play ping pong with it until it melted away. “Boy that beats the hell out of brushing!” I joked.

Daniel grinned. “So are you headed home, staying, should I expect this again?”

“I’ll go home when you want me to. Anytime you want this or something more, I’m your man.”

“Good, then I’m keeping you forever and ever.”

“Forever and ever doesn’t sound long enough to me.” As he smiled I realized the dirty dog knew he’d turned me into a sap and I was in big trouble, oh yeah, big trouble “ and looking forward to every minute of it.