Chapter two

Harry walked over the rough ground by the cliffs, towards the ancient ruins of a once proud fortress. Stories of a woman who loved a soldier of this fortress existed in these parts. The woman was told her true love had died in battle by a man who wanted her for his own. The young lass had been so distraught she threw herself from the cliffs to join her love in the afterlife. Upon his return and hearing that his love had committed suicide, the young soldier had thrown himself off the cliff to join her.

Harry thought of the story every time he visited the cliffs as a lasting symbol of a love so complete. It made him cry with desperate longing. He stood looking out at the stormy sea. The gray of the turbulent waters made him think of a man he loved. His eyes were the exact color of the waters. Not a day went by since graduating Hogwarts that he didn't think of the hauntingly handsome man. Harry pulled his legs close as he slid to the ground and let himself cry once again.


Draco Malfoy stared out at another picture postcard perfect vista. But he realized he didn't care. He had been running away for a decade. There was no victory in this attempt to hide from his feelings. He gazed at the emerald green blue tinged ocean and was instantly swept back ten long years. A decade ago he knew he had fallen for the young man with eyes the color of the changing Caribbean Ocean. The pain seemed to pound into his heart with the pounding of the waves onto the shore. The screams of the seabirds seemed to echo the screams in his aching soul. No matter how far or long he ran there was the constant longing to see the man he loved again. He got up from his chair and dove quickly into a breaking wave, so no one would see him cry.

When Draco pulled himself from the beautiful warm water he walked up to his cabana for a drink. An owl was waiting for him when he arrived. Curious, Draco took the scroll and found some dinner leftovers for the owl. Then he poured himself a drink. The owl quickly fell asleep, and Draco wondered how far it had traveled. He opened the scroll and began to read it. The past seemed to be calling back to him and he swayed unsteadily on his feet. With white knuckles, he gripped the side of the bar. Quickly he drank until his glass was empty. Sitting down on the couch where he could look out the window overlooking the ocean, he tried to figure out what to do.


The next morning at breakfast Hermione's owl arrived with the telltale pink scroll. Luckily, Harry had gone for another walk to the cliffs. Sirius shook his head, as Remus began to read the letter aloud.

Dear Remus,

Thank you so much for your help in this matter. The current list of confirmed bachelors is as follows:

Viktor Crumb
Oliver Wood
Bill Weasley
Charlie Weasley
Marcus Flint
Dean Thomas

As you can see the list is very short. Several bachelors are holding out to see if Harry will participate.

Gratefully,

Hermione Granger Weasley


When Harry returned, Remus broached the subject of the auction. With a look of impending doom, Sirius ran out of the back door, transforming as he ran, into a large black dog. He winced in pain as his canine ears heard the screams of Harry as he rejected the idea. When he saw their house owl returning, Sirius ran back to the house to try to intercept it before Harry blew his top. He ran in the back door and leapt for the scroll but, with a smirk, Remus intercepted it first. Sirius looked around unhappily at the wreckage that Harry had caused in his rage. His godson always threw things when he was really upset. Harry was pacing and oblivious to the arrival of the letter. Sirius began to bite his nails as he saw Remus smile while he read the scroll.

Hello Professor Lupin,

Of course I remember you, how could I possibly forget? I don't think Harry would like to see me at this auction, but I will participate by being a call in bidder for the cause. Thank you for letting me know of this worthy event. I will fly into London tomorrow to make the necessary arrangements.

Sincerely,

Draco Malfoy


"Well Harry, if you are sure you don't want to participate that is up to you," Remus drawled.

"FINALLY!" Harry screamed in triumph. Sirius began to cower, waiting for Remus to drop the bomb.

"Of course, Draco will be very disappointed to hear this news," Remus said carefully.

Harry stiffened and turned toward Remus.

"Draco Malfoy?" Harry asked visibly shaken.

"Oh, good, you remember him! Yes, he was going to be a bidder when he heard you would be a Bachelor." Remus smiled pleasantly.

"You're joking," Harry whispered.

"No, actually I'm not. He is flying into London tomorrow to make arrangements." Remus said with a smirk.

Harry collapsed into a chair, and mumbled something as he put his face in his hands.

"What was that Harry? I couldn't quite hear you," Remus coaxed.

"I'll do it," Harry whispered. Remus turned his back so Harry wouldn't see his smile of triumph.

"Wonderful, I'll just owl Hermione," Remus said as he winked at Sirius, hiding in the

corner.