Chapter 6: A crowd of canaries


“Thank you,” Harry said after they had left the Transfiguration class.

“What for?” asked Draco holding Harry a little tighter after their recent kissing session.

“For working things out between you and Ron,” said Harry.

“Oh, that. Your welcome,” said Draco. “Um, Harry?”

“Yeah.”

“Maybe I walk you to practice tonight, or pick you up maybe?”

“Both?”

“Wicked.” Draco kissed Harry on the cheek before they entered the Great Hall, and went their separate ways.


“Hey Draco, how come Potter’s not sitting with us? Did you break up already?” Blaise asked as soon as Draco sat down.

Draco shook his head, “No, I didn’t think you’d want him over here again.”

“Well, I think you’d better sit over there then, don’t you?” and Blaise pointed in Harry’s direction.

There seemed to a throng of guys hanging all over HIS Harry. Before Draco knew what he was doing he was storming in the direction of the Gryffindor table.

“Uh, no, thanks guys. I’m already seeing someone, really.”

Harry was saying this repeatedly, while looking desperately in Draco’s direction. Harry’s claustrophobia from years of living in a cupboard was starting to give him a bit of a panic attack. But Draco was talking to Blaise and hadn’t noticed that a crowd of guys had appeared the second Harry sat down, and they all wanted to go out with him.

And worse yet no one was listening to Harry. So Fred, George and Ron were all trying to break up the crowd, when Hermione said, “UH OH!” She had spotted the Slytherin of Harry’s affections headed their way in breakneck, don’t fuck with me, walk.

Draco pulled off the first one, and the next and the next, until he reached Harry. He grabbed Harry, and snarled, “MINE,” at all of Harry’s admirers, and then kissed him in front of the whole hall. “UNDERSTOOD?” Draco snarled out again. There was a general nodding of heads, and all present scattered.

Harry hugged Draco in relief. He was shaking slightly from all the unwanted attention. Meanwhile, Draco was looking over his head, and flaring his nostrils at anyone who looked their way.

“Harry, you okay?” asked Draco with concern in his voice.

Harry nodded.

“Good job Draco, I think the little blighters will stay away from him now!” said George. Fred nodded. Ron still looked like he wanted to kill somebody, and Hermione was looking at Harry.

“Harry you want to sit with me, again?” Draco asked.

Harry looked at the others, who all looked relieved that Harry would be in protective Slytherin custody. Harry nodded. Draco put his arm around Harry’s shoulder and began to walk over to the Slytherin table. He put a finger into Harry’s collar and yanked on the chain. Harry got the idea, and pulled the necklace out with Draco’s ring on it.

“I think you better start wearing that out all the time. I don’t think the Headmaster will mind if it is stops Harry hunting.”

Harry smiled but shivered. It really had freaked him out. Harry had just sat down at the Slytherin table when Snape suddenly appeared out of nowhere, as he was given to do.

“Mr. Potter, I commend you on having the sense to accept Draco’s ring. It should afford you some protection. Draco, I commend you on your territorial display toward your,” Snape flinched,” boyfriend, but try to keep kissing to a minimum where people must eat. See you in class.”

And Snape was gone. Harry was shaking.

“What the hell was that all about?” Harry asked Draco.

“I think he just complimented both of us. The money he won off McGonagall must have gone to his head.” Draco snickered.

At this the whole Slytherin table started to laugh.

“Sorry I didn’t listen to you earlier, Blaise. I won’t make that mistake again.” Draco said nodding toward his friend.

Suddenly all around the Great Hall, there was a flurry of commotion as about 20 little canaries began to flit about.

Draco turned to Harry, who looked sheepishly at him.

“Harry did you …”

“Well, I had to do something until you rescued me, so every time one of them asked me out, I gave them a Canary Cream.”

Now the Slytherins roared with laughter.