Chapter 2: Malfoy gets a migraine

The next morning in the Great Hall everyone was a buzz with the news of Potter quitting the Gryffindor House team. And Professor McGonagall was white lipped in anger. But Harry Potter sat oblivious to it all. He wasn’t even watching as the Owl Post arrived. But the blond Slytherin, who was watching him carefully, saw the Snowy White Owl, Hedwig land in front of Harry. She nipped at Harry to get his attention. Harry removed the scroll from Hedwigs leg. She seemed to notice how sad he was and flew up to Harry’s shoulder, rubbing her head against her owner. He smiled a bit and gave her some toast. Then he opened his letter.

Dear Harry,

I wish you hadn’t quit the House team. I always watched you play. You were the best player on the team. I know how much you love to play. I saw you the first time you flew, and saw the joy in your face. You really are a natural, and beautiful to watch.

Please reconsider about the team

At least I can see you in class and at meals.

There was no signature. He looked up at his House Mates, but no one seemed to have noticed. He figured it was a joke and marched over to the Weasley twins.

“Look guys, its nice you want me to stay on as Seeker. But I already quit, you don’t have to send me letters.”

“Oi, what are you on about Harry?” asked Fred.

But George had ripped the letter from Harry’s hand and read it. His eyes went wide. Fred snatched the letter from George and read it. Fred didn’t notice as Ron then took it from his hands. Harry had to chase the letter all around the table before he retrieved it.

Harry was too busy to notice the twins. Fred and George sat slack jawed after reading the letter. Then they both turned very slowly to look at Draco Malfoy. Malfoy winked at them, and tucked into his breakfast. The twins slowly turned back to each other, absolutely gob smacked. Later, they ran into Draco who told them of what he had found, and his plan. The twins decided to keep an eye on things.


The whole of Gryffindor was in an uproar over Harry’s letter. Many believed he had a secret admirer. Some believed it was one of the Gryffindors, just trying to get him back on the team. Ron was just crossing his fingers that Harry would change his mind. And the twins were in a daze. Harry just smiled and tucked into his robes. Then he began to eat his breakfast quickly before going to class.

Across the way, Draco Malfoy watched, pleased with the response. And the Slytherins were watching Malfoy, hoping he was pleased. They still hadn’t forgotten the look on his face the other night.



Harry spent his day answering questions about his letter. He was getting embarrassed about it all. But, by the end of the day he was in a much better mood than he’d been for a long time.


The next morning Harry was surprised to see Hedwig flutter down beside him again. The Gryffindor table broke out in excited whispers and the twins sat wide-eyed watching Draco Malfoy. The Slytherin was looking very pleased with himself.

Harry relieved Hedwig of the scroll, and patted her affectionately on the head. She hooted softly and flew off. Harry nervously opened the letter.


Dear Harry,

You looked much better yesterday. Does this mean you will join the team again? I hope so. I know you’ve been upset of late.

I was glad that you didn’t go on your walk last night. Someone as handsome as you shouldn’t be crying, much less alone.

I’m looking forward to seeing you in class again.

Once again there was no signature. But Harry didn’t care too much. It was nice to know someone had cared. It was nice to know someone didn’t like to see him cry, although it was a bit disconcerting that someone had followed him to the well. But, then again, maybe the well was working its spell.

Harry smiled and began to eat, which was hard to do since the Gryffindors were pestering him about the new letter. Finally the twins walked down to where he sat, tackled him to the floor and took the letter from him. And once again, they stared at each other in disbelief, not noticing that Ron had once again grabbed the letter from them. Harry got up from the floor very disgruntled, and sat down. He figured he’d get the letter back eventually. But this time the letter also made its way around the Ravenclaw table, before a first year kindly returned it.

Classes seemed much better to Harry’s way of thinking, except now there were Gryffindors and Ravenclaw students asking Harry about his letters. And now Harry had begun to wonder about who was sending them as well. Harry knew he needed to get away from everyone and decided that after class he would go flying.


Draco Malfoy was watching Harry take to the air. He saw the smile on Harry’s face, and saw how the rush of wind was blowing Harry’s hair off his forehead. Draco smiled. He went to the broom shed and retrieved his own broom. He flew up to Harry.

“Hey, I thought you grounded yourself.” Malfoy said to Potter.

“I needed to get away from everyone.”

“Should I leave you at it, or are you up for a little practice?”

“Do you have a snitch?”

“Yes.” And Draco held up his own personal snitch, and then released it.

Harry and Draco flew all over the pitch. After Harry caught the snitch twice, and Draco once, they put the Snitch away. And just flew around the pitch racing each other.

“Do you see what I see, George?”

“Yes, indeed. Our boy is back on his broom. It looks like Draco’s letters have done the trick.”

“And do you know - I think you might be right, George.”

“Yes. I see it too. The one Seeker does fancy the other Seeker. Do you think they know yet?”

“Nah.” They shook their heads and walked away.

The Draco and Harry raced until it was dark, and time for dinner. Draco elegantly dismounted his broom and put it away, he waved goodbye and left.

If he had turned around he would have seen a very dreamy, glazed look on Harry’s face. Harry was so happy; he couldn’t stop smiling. He had just spent all afternoon with Draco Malfoy and they hadn’t fought once. He just barely remembered to put his broom away before heading in himself.


Ron saw his brothers walk in the Great Hall first, smiling and whispering to each other. He knew that meant trouble. Harry walked in and sat down next to the twins and began eating straight away. He seemed to be starving. Ron noticed he was flush, and hoped it meant Harry had been out flying.

“So Harry, were you out on your broom?” asked Fred with a smirk.

Harry just nodded, not taking a breath from his food.

“Anyone bother you out there?” asked George smiling broadly.

Harry shook his head no, but his cheeks were blushing.

The twins looked at each other and nodded, sagely. It was definite then, the one Seeker liked the other. But did the Slytherin like the Gryffindor?

After dinner, Malfoy headed up to the library to get some homework done. He was intercepted on the way. The two twins grabbed him by an arm each and carried him out of the main corridor, to a deserted classroom.

“Well, congratulations Draco, we saw Harry went flying today,” said George.

“Those are some class act letters, Draco. How many Slytherins is it taking to write them?” teased Fred.

“Please. I am writing those letters,” said Draco looking pleased.

“Hmm, and how do you think Harry’s going to react when he finds out you are only doing this to get him to join the House team?” asked George.

While Draco was thinking, the twins began to circle him.

“Well, once he joins the team I’ll just stop the letters, so he’ll never know,” said Draco with an air of confidence.

“Hmm, and have you figured out yet who it was that Harry was in love with at the start?” asked Fred while still circling.

“And what happens if Harry falls for who is writing the letters?” asked George as he followed Fred around in a circle.

Draco felt very confused with the twins circling him like a pair of red headed sharks. He suddenly found himself slammed up against the wall by the pair.

“And what happens if Harry gets hurt, Fred?”

“Well, he might wind up worse off then before George.”

“Quite right, Fred.”

The twins nodded to each other and left Draco alone. Draco just stood against the wall. He had quite a bit to think about.

Was it a good idea to continue the letters? But Harry hadn’t joined the House team again, yet. And who was it that Harry was in love with? Draco didn’t know what to do.

And worse yet, he was suddenly very unhappy. And he had a bad idea, why. He didn’t know when it happened but he knew that he cared about Harry.

It had been really nice flying with Harry, too.

And when did he start thinking of the Gryffindor as Harry, instead of Potter? And why didn’t he get help from the Slytherins to write the letters?

Because he meant every word of what he had said in them.

Draco sank down the wall. He felt his heart sink with his body. He was in love with Harry. And Harry was in love with someone, too. This thought made him feel sick.

But how could Harry ever feel the same way about him. How could he forgive him for years of hell? He moaned and put his head into his hands. He could feel a whopper of a headache coming.