The Evening Meal

Draco and Harry entered the Great Hall together, causing many heads to turn. They gave each other a meaningful glance before they went to their separate tables.

“Harry, I haven’t seen you all day where have you been?” Hermione asked as soon as he sat down.

“Studying, walking, talking,” said Harry helping himself to some juice.

“Were you with Malfoy all day, mate?” asked Ron who was sitting on the other side.

“Yeah, so,” replied Harry defensively, his eyes flashing in Ron’s direction.

“Look, mate, I know you’ve fancied him for ages, it’s just that why Malfoy?” Ron replied.

“OH, honestly Ron you don’t pick who you fall in love with, it just happens,” Hermione said swatting Ron across the head.

Harry smiled at Hermione, with gratitude shining from his eyes.

“Well, I still don’t get it. But so help me, if he hurts you I’ll, I’ll kill him,” Ron snarled out.

“So how was he toward you Harry?” Hermione asked in a soft sisterly fashion.

“Great, no worries, really Hermione,” Harry said looking at the bushy haired brunette who had become his adopted sister over the years, understanding her concerns.

Hermione reached out a hand, and patted the back of Harry’s hand. She looked up at him with concern, and hope.

“If you need to talk, I’m here,” Hermione said smiling.

“Right,” replied Harry. Harry began to eat, and nothing more was said between the trio. Then Harry remembered what Ginny had done. He wasn’t sure whether to be furious with her or hug her. He glanced up the table where she was sitting next to Neville Longbottom, her steady boyfriend. Harry finished eating and walked up to Ginny.

“Ginny, can we talk?” Harry said looking at her meaningfully.

“Uh, sure Harry,” Ginny said looking at Neville with concern and then followed Harry into the Corridor.

“Ginny, I found out about the betting pool. I’d like to take your head off, but I’ve been asked to go easy on you,” Harry said flatly, trying to hide all emotion from his face.

“Look Harry, I didn’t mean anything by it. Wait, who asked you to go easy on me?” Ginny asked her brows knitting together in a frown.

Harry’s face broke into a grin and he picked up Ginny and whirled her around in a circle. He pulled her into a tight bear hug, and put her down. He was absolutely beaming.

“But, Harry, who asked you to go easy on me?” Ginny said smiling at Harry’s happy mood.

“I did, actually,” came the voice of Draco Malfoy, who had walked up to Harry’s side and put a possessive hand on the Seeker’s shoulder.

“I believe you’ve done us both a bit of a service, by clearing our way to each other,” Draco said while looking at Harry. “I believe your bets on us are done. It seems I’ve won the prize,” Draco continued beaming at Harry.

“Yeah, thanks Gin’,” Harry said, looking only at Draco.

Ginny looked back and forth at the two Seekers and smiled. She suddenly felt like a third wheel in their presence, and quietly slipped back into the Great Hall. They began to slowly walk up the corridor.

“Harry?” Draco looked questioningly into Harry’s eyes.

“Yeah?” Harry felt a small twinge of panic looking into the eyes of the Slytherin.

“I want to call it an early night so I can listen to my present, but…” Draco trailed off.

“What is it, Draco?” Harry asked with concern.

“It’s nothing, stupid, really,” Draco said looking down.

“C’mon, if it is bothering you it is certainly not nothing,” Harry said firmly.


“I just wonder if when I wake up in the morning if this will all have been a dream,” Draco finished quietly.

“Yeah, I know the feeling,” Harry said taking Draco’s hand in his own.

“Well, I suppose I do have that present and that parchment that I can look at in the morning,” Draco said slowly. Harry didn’t say anything, and Draco realized Harry didn’t have anything. Draco stopped in his tracks.

“Hold on, I’ll be right back,” and Draco dashed back off to the Great Hall.

Draco ran into the Great Hall, which was starting to empty out and spotted Ginny Weasley. He dashed up to her.

“Can I ask you a favor?” Draco asked Ginny.

“Uh, sure Draco,” Ginny replied not at all sure what she was getting herself into.

“Can I have the parchment with the betting pool on it, please?” Draco asked with a broad smile on his face.

She took it out of her robe pocket,” Sure I suppose it is the least I could do.”

“Thanks!” and Draco ran out of the Great Hall up to where Harry was standing looking confused.

“Here,” said Draco, handing Harry the scroll. Harry looked at Draco with that same confused look on his face, and unrolled the scroll. He read it and burst out laughing.

“Thank you Draco,” Harry said as he pulled Draco into an embrace. And they said their farewells and went their separate ways.