All I Need By Kenaf
May 7, 2005
2615 Words
Pairing: Jack/Daniel











"Shit, shit, shit O'Neill what were you thinking!! For crying out loud!!" Colonel Jack O'Neill USAF, and head of the SG-1 team paced back and forth in his office berating himself. "What the hell am I going to do now!? He could have me court-martialed!" Jack stopped and slumped into his chair behind his desk. A knock came at the door and Jack was half-afraid to answer it. Maybe it would be best not to. Perhaps the person would go away.

"Jack? It's Jacob, may I come in?" Jack sighed with relief. The perfect person to talk to! Jacob Carter would give him good advice.

"Come in Jacob." Jack looked up in silent desperation at the older man who was now a To'kra. Jacob looked at him appraisingly. "You look like hell Jack. What's wrong?"

"Oh man Jacob I have royally screwed up. I'll be in the stockades by tomorrow!" Jack let his head fall back to the desk. Jacob laughed. "You were always so dramatic. Now come on, Sam said you were upset about something but it can't be that bad. What could get you court-martialed?"

Jack whispered into his folded arms to embarrassed to look up. "What was that Jack? I couldn't make it out.”

A groan came from the desk before Jack said a bit louder, “Kissing Daniel.”

Whatever Jacob had been expecting it was not that, his eyebrows shot into his hair. Too stunned to speak Selmac took over. "And why is this wrong?"

Jack's head lifted up. "Ma'am no disrespect but can we keep this to just the guys? Jacob can explain this later."

Jacob's head fell to his chest then as it lifted Jack saw the Go'uld light in his eyes was gone. "Are you crazy?"

Jack nodded. "Yeah, I am."

Jacob sighed then sat back in the chair. "You better tell me the whole story and I'll see if I can help."

Kissing you is not what I had planned

"Fine we were just doing a little recon you know? Teal'c and Carter went one way and Daniel and I the other. There seemed to be some ruins to the right so I wanted to make sure Daniel wouldn't get into trouble." Jacob nodded it was all SOP (standard operating procedure) so far.

"I checked out the temple and Daniel found some rock and started to get all excited about it. He called me over to look at it. Well you know how he gets Jacob. The lights up like the fourth of July. He pulled me close so I could see some little doodle on the rock and when I looked up we were so close and he was so happy and carefree"

"I get the picture. SO it was just spur of the moment right?
What did he do?" Jacob asked with concern. This really could spell the end of Jack's career. Granted it wasn't sodomy…
yet. It was still fraternizing within the ranks, good for a few years unless he could take early retirement.

"He just stood there Jacob!! Then Teal'c and Sam came in and I never got the chance to apologize or anything!"

"Easy, Jack. Tell me why you did it. Was it really heat of the moment or is there more to this?" Jacob replied.

Letting his head fall back to his folded arms with a soft thump Jack groaned again. "Uh, oh. Does this mean what I think it does?"

Jack jumped up startling Jacob a bit and he began to pace again. "Stupid, stupid!! What was I thinking?"

Jacob's head fell forward and Selmac took over. "You were thinking maybe he loved you too?"

Jack froze and looked at Selmac in a panic. "Whoa, stop right there I didn't say one word about love! Just back up and put it in reverse Lady!"

Selmac smirked. "You never answered Jacob's question that in and of itself is an answer. You care for him deeply and hoped your affection would be returned. "

Jack raised a hand to protest when another knock came at the door. The Colonel froze again. "Come in! "Selmac cried out merrily. Jack threw his dirtiest look her way.

And now I'm not so sure just where I stand

Daniel's blue eyes peered around the door. "Um, Jack I think we better talk. But if you have company I can come back later."

Selmac jumped up quickly and grabbed Daniel by the arm pushing him into the chair the To'kra had just vacated. "Oh no you are right young man you need to talk to the man. And don't let him argue his way out of the subject either."

Jack threw another look as the To'kra left locking the door firmly on the way. The Colonel looked at Daniel and sank back into his chair but before he could speak Daniel had beaten him to it.

I wasn't looking for true love
But now you're looking at me
You're the only one I can think of
You're the only one I see

"Look Jack. Just let me talk okay? I wasn't really looking for a relationship right now. But every since the temple I can't stop thinking about you. Even when I try to close my eyes and shake it off I see you." Jack tried to talk but Daniel held up a hand.

All I need
Is just a little more time
To be sure what I feel
Is it all in my mind

"All I'm asking here is a little more time to think about this in order to make sure what it is I'm feeling toward you. Don't worry I'm not about to turn you in, we are friends and I don't want anything to change that unless it's for the better. But I have to make sure that I'm not deluding myself." He took a deep breath and gestured toward Jack stiffening as he did so.

Cause it seems so hard to believe
That you're all I need

"Daniel I can't even believe I did it. But it wasn't an accident. Truth is, I've wanted to do that a long time. I need you as more than a friend if possible, just you Daniel. Not a teammate, not a coworker, not the doctorate but you the real you. I was so wrapped up in protecting you I didn't realize that I might hurt you. If I did I'm sorry." Jack shook his head. "I suck at talking. Did that make any sense?"

Yes it's true we've all been hurt before

"Yeah Jack it made perfect sense. Let's say we spend the day tomorrow trying to see where we are at?" Daniel grinned.

"Okyeahyoubetcha!" Jack said happily now that the panic had passed and Daniel seemed somewhat receptive.

"Good," Daniel got up to leave and stopped halfway out the door. "Jack?"

The Colonel tilted his head, "Daniel?"

A faint pink rose into the archaeologists cheeks, "Next time ask okay?"

Jack beamed. Daniel winked and left the office. "YES!" Jack punched the air. A minute later there was another knock at the door.

It was Jacob. "Jack I saw he left. Everything okay then I hope?" Jacob slipped around the door. "WELL?"

Jack beamed. "He wants to get together tomorrow to see where we stand, but he wants sometime to think about it."

Jacob nodded. "But will he turn you in?"

Jack shook his head. "He said no matter what we are friends and he wouldn't do that to me, thank god."

With a sad smile Jacob reminding Jack, "You realize you are still taking a big chance here Jack."

But it doesn't seem to matter anymore
It may be a chance we're taking
But it always comes to this
If this isn't love we're making
Then I don't know what it is

A big grin crossed Jack's face. "I know but I think this might be it, you know?"

Jacob blinked in surprise before his eyes turned white. "Well Colonel you never cease to surprise me a romantic. And here I thought you were just a crusty old bird."

Laughter filled the room as Jack agreed, "Maybe a little of both mam." The To'kra nodded and left again presumably to go find Sam and tell her everything was okay again.

Jack went home from base that night a little lighter in step. Sure he'd just done something that could have cost him his career but Daniel was not upset. If anything Jack felt that perhaps he'd just startled Daniel. He spent the night thinking over all the possible outcomes to the next day before he took a nighttime pain pill for the headache he'd given himself with all his guessing and went to bed. When he woke up his mind was still buzzing with hope as he thought about what Daniel had said.

All I need
Is just a little more time
To be sure what I feel
Is it all in my mind
Cause it seems so hard to believe

Jack had tried to busy himself around the house wondering if he should call Daniel or if he should expect the call. Then remembering that it was Daniel who had asked for time he decided he didn't want to pressure him. But by noon he was starting to climb the walls. Finally the phone rang. Jack almost fell off the kitchen stool he reached for it so fast. "O'Neill."

"Hi Jack its Daniel. Is it still okay for me to come over? I can grab some take out on the way over if you'd like?"

Jack was glad the younger man didn't see the goofy grin on his face. "Yeah, Chinese sounds great. We can settle up when you get here."

Daniel laughed. "Don't worry about it Jack. You want your usual?" Jack’s smile got even wider; of course Daniel would know what he liked. How many times had they had Chinese together? "Okaysureyoubetcha."

Daniel laughed. "See you in a bit then."

Jack smiled but said seriously, "Safe journey."

There was a period of silence. "Sure Jack, don't worry."

Jack hung up the phone before dashing upstairs to change into another sweater, easily the fourth time he'd changed. Steadfastly refusing to admit he was nervous he changed from the navy blue into the white to accent his tan. Shaking his head at himself he galloped downstairs to open up a bottle of wine for Daniel and grab a beer for himself.

By the time Daniel drove up Jack had surfed through the channels five times, not that he was counting, picked up the newspaper three and gone to check his hair four times. He held the door open as he heard Daniel walking up the path. "Hi Jack, I hope you are hungry. I got a little nervous and may have over ordered just a bit."

Jack laughed as he saw the two plastic bags filled with food. "Man, am I glad I'm not the only one who's antsy here! Thought I'd pop a vessel this morning waiting for you to call."

Daniel blushed. "I didn't want to wake you. Mind I'd picked up that phone a hundred times since 0700."

Jack nodded as they unpacked. "Couldn't sleep?"

Daniel shook his head. "No bad case of busy brain. Finally took some acetaminophen PM". Daniel admitted as he said down with several cartons and a pair of chopsticks.

"Ditto." They both laughed and began to pick at their food while nervously glimpsing at the other.

"Oh for crying out loud," Jack shoved his chopsticks into the rice and set the carton down. "Please Daniel put me out of my misery! What's it going to be?"

A smile pulled at Daniel's face. "You didn't ask me anything."
Jack groaned, "The dangers of falling for a linguist!" Daniel put down his carton.

"Falling for a linguist Jack? Are you telling me that you are in love with me?" Jacks' tanned face went pale under Daniels questioning gaze.

"I didn't say that." Jack said too quickly.

"You inferred it." Daniel grinned.

"Did not," Jack backpedaled.

"Did too," Daniel laughed.

"Not!"

"Too! Then why did you kiss me?"

Jack squished up his face, "Trying to fight with a damn bookworm."

"Ja-ck," Daniel teased coming to sit next to him on the couch. "Answer the question."

"What would you do if I said 'no'?" Jack asked curiously.
The light went out of Daniels blue eyes as he said after a bit. "Well, I'd still wonder why you did it."

Jack shook his head. "But you look upset Daniel, there's no reason for that. I was just teasing. Yes, I've fallen hard, probably harder than in my whole life. There I said it. Happy now?"

Daniel smiled. "Very, so are you going to ask me?"

Jack's forehead furrowed. "Ask you what? Out for a date? Where do you want to go?"

Daniel sat back to think about it. "The movies should be safe. But I had considered this our first date to tell you the truth."

Jack slid closer to Daniel putting an arm around the back of the couch. "So is it safe to assume Doctor Jackson that we've moved beyond friends?"

Shaking his head the younger man said. "You used to call me Danny. I liked it. Why did you stop?"

Jack looked embarrassed. "Oh, I get it put a bit of distance between us."

Lighting up with sudden understanding he added. "That's why you stopped touching me and calling me Danny and space monkey!"

Jack nodded looking chagrined. "Busted. Besides you seem to have a girl in every port." Jack looked a bit angry now. "What's with that?"

Daniel blushed. "Same thing, safe distance."

"What?" Jack asked in surprise. "Fess up Danny."

Lowering his head Daniel said softly. "Truthfully Jack if you hadn't of made the first move soon I was thinking of transferring to another team. It was killing me being so close to you."

Jack lifted Daniels chin. "Thanks I needed that. So DANNY, may I convince you by kissing you into agreeing to be my, um, whatever it’s called these days?"

Daniel chuckled, "Partner Jack."

Leaning closer to Daniel, Jack rested a hand on one of his knees gazing deeply into the sapphire blue eyes that he had thought about all day. "Yeah, that. I don't share Danny especially not you." Jack ran his other hand from Daniels chin to his cheek.

"You talk too much Jack." Daniel leaned forward closing the gap between them as they shared their first real kiss.

No stars are out tonight
But we're shining our own light
And it's never felt so bright
Cause the way I'm feeling
It's easy to believe
That you're all I need
You're all I need

Hours later after a long make out session, followed by an even faster groping session Jack grabbed some blankets and took Daniel up to the roof where his telescope was set up for stargazing. They settled into an easy cuddle with intermittent kisses. Jack never felt happier as he laid his chin on Daniels shoulder pulling his back closer into his chest so not a sliver of night air could come between them. Daniel chuckled. "Ja-ck."

Snuggling into Daniels neck leaving it with a few kisses Jack responded with a muffled, "Mmm?"

"Jack there's no stars out tonight. Don't you NEED stars for stargazing? Like a pre-requisite or something?" Daniel asked a bit breathlessly.

"You're all I need Danny boy," Jack replied. The light coming from the two men shone brightly into the darkness. "You are all I'll ever need," Daniel whispered back before losing himself once more to his partner's charms.