Conspiracy among Friends
First seen in the zine “Southern Hospitality”








CHAPTER 1
B'Elanna Torres had just survived one of those days that never seemed to end. Every time something was fixed, something else would break. Voyager should have had a refit ages ago. But, between the condition of Voyager and the constant battles and scrapes the ship endured, the Engineering crew never stood still. B'Elanna was starting to think they would eventually have to get out and push Voyager home, if they couldn't get a refit soon.

After her long day she wanted to have a drink. Harry Kim had offered to take her to Sandrine's to unwind, and she leaped at the chance. So here she was in Sandrine's trying, albeit unsuccessfully, to wash away the blues. The only other people in the bar were the two playing pool, of which there were only two. Harry wasn't being very entertaining tonight his attention was on the pool table. So there was nothing to do besides watch Commander Chakotay and Lieutenant Paris.

Once again they were up to their usual game of cat and mouse. The Commander would get on Tom's case about some little breach of protocol and Tom would play wiseass. Conversely, Tom would try to help Chakotay play better and would receive the casual observer routine. Then the lessons evolved into personal touching to learn how to hold the stick better. They were stealing glances at each other. And with each stolen eyeful their faces became longer than a Klingon Warrior without a fight in a bar did. Next, they would pretend that they hadn't been looking at the other one at all.

B'Elanna was sick of it! When were they ever going to admit once and for all that they wanted each other? To top it off, Harry Kim was enjoying the scene! Harry had a pool going as to the exact time, date, and location of when Tom and Chakotay would admit their feelings for each other.

Without realizing it, she was starting to stare at the pair. Harry bravely continued to sit across from her; this was courageous in that she'd begun to growl. Harry thought it might have something to do with the sexual tension over at the pool table, but wasn't about to ask. His time with the Chief of Engineering had allowed him to read her pretty well, without risking his neck over a little question.

She turned swiftly in his direction and sneered while gesturing over her shoulder toward the duo. A roll of the eyes and a swift slug of her drink accompanied the body language. Harry smiled and sighed. He was right. This situation was starting to get to everybody. Even Captain Janeway had begun to roll her eyes just like B'Elanna.

Tom Paris had been Harry's best friend for a long time. B'Elanna knew Chakotay better than anyone on the entire ship. It was up to them to get the pair together. For months now they had tried every trick in the book and nothing at all had worked.

The door opened and Seven of Nine walked crisply into the room, her hands behind her back in her typical at ease position. She saw the Lieutenant and commander and strode over to them purposefully in the center of the room. Turning her head she nodded towards Harry and B'Elanna and smiled. Her smile became wicked as she cleared her
throat and turned her attention back to the pool players.

"Ahem! Gentlemen." Chakotay smiled at her. Tom smiled at her.

"Seven, how good to see you in Sandrines!" said the Commander.

"I wish I could return your gracious salutation, Commander," she replied. Ton's mouth dropped open at Seven's rude retort. Even Chakotay was taken aback by her response.

"Excuse me?" said Chakotay sounding irate.

"I believe you heard me, Commander. It would be futile to repeat my statement. However, for the record, I believe this continual denial of attraction between yourself and Lieutenant Paris also to be futile."

Tom dropped his pool stick on the table and turned a bright red. Meanwhile, the usually stoic Chakotay was in turn, a now deep crimson. Tom recovered faster of the two. And quickly adopted the wise guy face for which he was so well known. He turned to this pool partner and asked boldly. "What say, Big Guy “ are you in love with me?'"

Seven of Nine rolled her eyes. "Mr. Paris, your persistent retreat into adolescence to avoid your deep feelings for the Commander is juvenile at best. It does not suit a Starfleet officer." Tom was speechless. The room was silent. Harry and B'Elanna were smiling from ear to ear. This was a fantastic floorshow. B'Elanna could see the emotions displayed on the face of Chakotay. She saw the swallow of pride. She saw the pain and the fears plainly written in
his features. He straightened his shoulders and looked directly at the young pilot.

"Tom is that true?"

"Chakotay, I, uh…"

"Tom please."

"Oh no, you first, Big Guy!"

"Gentlemen I believe you have a great deal to talk about. Since there seems to be only your closest friends to witness your discussion, I would suggest that a corner booth would prove most ideal for a mature, truthful discourse. It should be one becoming your ranks and stations. I believe I speak for the entire crew when I say that your should assimilate the information I have put before you and use it wisely."

"Hear! Hear!" came the cheers from Harry and B'Elanna.

Seven smiled at the two men and nodded toward the corner booth meaningfully as she retired to the table of her tow friends, off to the left. Chakotay and Tom walked to the corner booth like two schoolboys being kept after school by the principal. Torres smiled appreciatively at Seven when she sat down. Harry was trying not to laugh.

"Seven, do you think it will work?" asked B'Elanna conspiratorially.

"Should this course of action prove futile, I do have a backup plan." Seven replied.

"Oh, yeah and what would that be? What is it exactly that you were holding behind your back?" asked Harry.

"What are you talking about Starfleet? Seven always stands that way, it doesn't mean she was hiding anything behind her back!"

When Seven pulled something out from under the table, B'Elanna was taken aback. She'd have to remember the Ensign had keen eyes; you never knew when something like that could come in handy. She hated to admit it, but she was impressed by Harry's attentiveness.

Seven replied," You are most observant, Mr. Kim. I have a hypo spray from the doctor. If the two gentlemen are unwilling to cooperate, then we will sedate them and beam them to the Commander's quarters." The Ensign and Chief burst out in riotous laughter. Seven smiled secretively; she had just won the betting pool, even if she did have to share the winnings with the doctor.