Written for Amanda
Word Count 4137
Jim/Blair, Jack/Daniel
Stargate SG-1/The Sentinel xover
Warnings: some angst, some fluff and some drinking

Jim looked again at the letter. It was from one of Blair’s friends who wanted him to come visit. Jim sighed. Blair had invited him to go along, but he really wasn’t sure about going. If he was having trouble containing his feelings for Blair, so that Blair wouldn’t see them, could he do it in front of one of Blair’s friends? Surely, this Daniel Jackson would notice how he looked at Blair. Hell, Simon Banks had teased him about it numerous times. Blair gave Jim his best puppy dog look and Jim was lost. Between the bright blue eyes and riotous dark curls, Jim wondered how anyone could not notice how…how beautiful Blair was. “Sure Blair.”

Blair began to talk excitedly about Daniel. Jim began to feel jealousy gnaw at his gut. He could only hope Daniel was involved with someone or drop dead ugly. But what was that about “birds of a feather”? All Jim’s luck, this Daniel Jackson would be gorgeous. In the meantime, he lost himself in studying Blair’s face, how his eyes lit up when he talked about something that captivated him, and how the setting sun turned into a cascade of colors when it settled on Blair’s beautiful hair. Damn he had it bad, and Blair was totally oblivious. He was also a babe magnet. If there was a beautiful woman within a mile, she would find Blair, have sex with him and toss him aside. How many times had Jim patched Blair up until some total bitch ripped him apart once more? If only he would look at his roommate, his coworker for just a moment. Jim sighed again and tried to pay attention.

*****


Daniel knocked on Jack’s office door. “Hey Jack.”

“Hey Daniel, what’s up?” Jack grinned relieved to take a break from the report they were working on.

“I’m having two friends over from out of town and I wondered if you’d like to come to dinner at say 7?”

Jack sat back in his chair. “Okay, what should I bring?”

“Beer?” Daniel asked.

Jack’s eyebrows hit his forehead. “You don’t even like beer!”

“But I’m pretty sure Jim drinks beer. Blair will probably drink wine with me, but he’s been living with Jim for so long that he might drink beer now too.” Daniel shrugged.

“So are these some egghead friends of yours from school?” Jack asked, his curiosity evident.

“Well, I know Blair from a dig. But Jim is a cop and he was in the military, Special Forces or something.”

Jack laughed. “How on earth did a cop that’s ex-military wind up living with a geek?”

“Jack, don’t call Blair a geek. I think you’ll really get to like him once you meet him. But to answer your question, I don’t know myself. So, are you going to show, or not Jack? Because if you’re not, I’m sure I could ask…”

“Okay Daniel, as long as you’re cooking,” Jack smiled.

Daniel smiled back, “For that I’ll even think about making your favorite dessert.”

“Ah Daniel, you’ll make me fat,” Daniel walked away laughing and Jack smiled glad to have something to look forward to. Jack watched sadly as Daniel walked away from him. It was a great view, but what he wouldn’t give to hold Daniel in his arms, without him being at death’s door or magically resurrected. For all the time he’d known Daniel, he’d grown steadily and deeply in love with the younger man. But Daniel never looked at him like that. Jack had even tried to make him jealous by chasing after Samantha Carter, but Daniel just wished him well. It wasn’t exactly the reaction he’d been hoping for. Hell, some of the fantasies he’d had should have set of the fire alarms at the base. Maybe this dinner was a sign he was at least still in Daniel’s circle; if only a friend. Jack groaned and tried to get back to his reports.

~~~~

Daniel took the rest of the afternoon off. At five he went to the airport in Denver to pick up Blair and Jim. Blair almost squished Daniel in a bear hug and Daniel was suddenly reminded of how much he missed the man. Looking over his shoulder he was surprised to see a tall, handsome man that looked like he was carved out of stone looking at him with frank curiosity. Blair broke of the hug and introduced him to Jim.

Jim cringed inwardly. Daniel Jackson was stunning. He had almost an Adonis quality about him. His arms were toned and tanned. He was clean cut, with more hair than Jim and younger than Jim. The detective found he was glad he’d kept his reflective shades on, so the younger man couldn’t see the despair in his eyes.

“Hi Daniel, nice to meet you,” Daniel looked up into a friendly smile. He instantly liked Jim.

“Hi Jim, nice to meet you too. Is that all of your baggage?” Daniel pointed to the two small suitcases and two carry-ons.

“Hey man, no sense in bringing more right?” Blair grinned. Daniel smiled back at Blair’s open happiness. He wasn’t that happy when Daniel had last seen him. Daniel looked from one to the other, and the happiness radiating off Blair, but not off Jim. He wondered if they’d had a fight on the way over, or if Jim was always this sullen.

“Ah look Daniel. I realize this must be a bit awkward, I can stay at a hotel, it’s not a problem,” Jim offered.

“Not a problem at all. I’ve never seen Blair happier. If that’s from you, I couldn’t be happier for you,” Daniel replied and picked up a suitcase. Jim smiled feeling a kernel of hope invade him. Blair did seem happy didn’t he? But maybe it was just seeing Daniel. The kernel of hope vanished as suddenly as it appeared. “Besides my loft is huge, there’s plenty of room. But if you snore worse than Blair, I’ll camp out at Jack’s.” Daniel teased.

Jim smiled and they picked up the rest of their things and headed out to Daniel’s car. “So who’s this Jack?” Jim asked as they headed down the highway.

“Oh you’ll meet him tonight. He’s my best friend. We work together on the base,” Daniel replied with a smile. “So how long can you stay?”

“A week,” Blair answered. “Then I have to get back. Jim has another week off after that, the bum.”

“Hey, I work hard for that time off. And if I know Simon we will be lucky to even get our week!” Jim tilted his sunglasses.

“Who is Simon? Is that your boss?” Daniel asked.

“Yeah Captain Banks is alright, but it’s hard to get leave,” Jim sighed then sat up straighter. “Um, Daniel you might want to take another route.”

“Why?” Daniel looked oddly at Jim who was sprawled out over the backseat.

“There’s an accident up ahead.” Jim answered without thinking.

Blair laughed nervously. “Jim’s hearing is really acute.”

“Uh okay,” Daniel went to turn down a side street and two ambulances flew by as he did. “Wow, you weren’t kidding!”

“Jim, stop it,” Blair hissed under his breath. But Daniel heard him and wondered what was going on. He decided not to mention it and he and Blair talked about recent developments in their respective fields. They soon arrived at Daniels. Knowing that the two men were going to need more than a couch, especially Jim, he gave them his bedroom with the large bed and took the guest room he’d converted his office into for the visit.

Daniel began to prepare dinner when Jim came in the kitchen. “Need any help Daniel?”

“Only if you are better at cooking than Blair,” Daniel smiled.

“Who do you think does the cooking at home?” Jim laughed, he’d really been nervous about coming here but Daniel was making things very comfortable for him. And he was grateful for it. When Blair suggested the trip, well begged actually, Jim had envisioned hours of National Geographic lectures. But Daniel was the perfect host. Jim just wished he wasn’t so damn good looking.

“Well if you could check on the rolls, then take care of putting the dessert in that would really help a lot, thanks Jim,” Daniel smiled and was just about to ask Jim about his military career when the door bell rang. “Oh, that must be Jack.”

“I’ll get it,” Blair offered. “Because I know neither one of you will let me near the kitchen!” He opened the door to find a tall man, in a leather coat and aviator sunglasses, holding a case of beer. “You must be Jack, I’m Blair, let me get that.”

“Nope, I’m good, just lead the way,” Jack grinned down at the shorter man; at least he had height on Blair. Blair seemed to exude energy the way Daniel did when he was excited about some rock. Jack tried not to groan at how good looking Blair was. Daniel was bound to be attracted to him.

“Hell man, you probably know the way. I’ll get the door.” Jack shrugged sadly and walked in as Blair closed the door behind him.

“Hey Daniel, where do you want it?” Jack asked cheerfully, wishing Daniel would catch the innuendo in the statement.

Daniel nodded toward the refrigerator. Jack took the cue and began to put the beer into it. “Hey if you have a cold case, you’ll have a friend for life.” Jim peered over the door curiously, had Jack just tried to hit on Daniel? He eyed Jack and saw he was very handsome. Jim smiled.

“Is there any other way to buy beer?” Jack laughed handing up a beer to the tall, blue eyed man. “You must be Jim.” Jack crossed his fingers that Jim was Blair’s boyfriend or at least a straight friend who would provide inhibitions to Blair chasing after Daniel in front of him.

“Guilty, Jack right?”

Daniel chuckled. “Well, it looks like we’ve got the beer taken care of. Care to open up the wine Blair?”

“I’m on it man,” Blair grinned. “Hey Jack, you going to take off the coat and shades and stay awhile?”

“Give a guy a chance Blair,” Jim laughed. He stopped when Jack stood and took off his shades. Jack could look right through a man with those deep brown eyes. Jim wondered how many men this guy had killed. Was this really the type Daniel would go for? Jim sighed inwardly. This guy looked as straight as an arrow. But there wasn’t a ring on his finger. Maybe this was one of those career military types? But what about that comment earlier? Maybe it was just innocent?

“So Jim what branch of the service were you?” Jack asked.

“Special Forces, Army Ranger,” Jim said without even thinking.

Jack whistled. “You must have seen a lot of action.”

“I think you’ve seen more,” Jim replied. Jack looked at Daniel who was looking at him. “So, um, what do you do for the Air Force Daniel? How is it you two work together?”

“I catalogue odd items and do translations,” Daniel answered mechanically. “So why does the Cascade Police force need an observer?”

“I’m doing a thesis on the subculture of the police and the underworld,” Blair answered just as mechanically.

“Well, enough small talk dinner’s ready,” Daniel smiled and brought the lasagna to the table. Jim grabbed the beer, Blair the wine while Jack brought out the rolls and salad. The wine and beer began to flow as the conversation turned to how Blair and Daniel met on their dig. Jack grinned as Daniel brought out chocolate caramel cake, his favorite. The cake was a huge hit, as was the entire dinner. Daniel went to clean up and Jack jumped to his feet to help. Jim noticed how well the two men seemed to work together. He was also seeing how Jack looked at Daniel and how the younger man didn’t take notice at all.

In the meantime, Jack had noticed Blair was completely oblivious how Jim felt about him. This was a huge relief to Jack since there seemed to be nothing, but friendship between Blair and Daniel. Maybe he could talk to Jim for a moment and they could help each other out? As he helped Daniel put away the last of the dishes he invited Jim to check out the balcony.

Jim smirked and leaned against the railing. “So I’m guessing we are out here for a reason?”

“Look, you like Blair, am I right?” Jack said closing the door behind them.

“Good a man who cuts right to it, yes, and I saw how you looked at Daniel too. So at least we don’t have to worry about them together.”

“Crap, you were thinking that too?” Jack shook his head.

“Ever since I heard about this trip; look, Jack, I’d like to go home with more than a coworker and boarder. If you have any ideas I’d sure like to hear them.”

Jack leaned against the railing.” I was hoping you had an idea. If something doesn’t happen soon, I’ll go for retirement and spend my golden years licking my wounds.”

Jim’s eyes lit up. “Say, can Daniel hold his liquor?”

Jack burst out laughing. “Not worth a damn. If he has two beers he’s the cutest little drunk you’ve ever seen.”

Jim smirked. “Blair isn’t much better. Let’s get them so they aren’t feeling any pain and play a little game to make it interesting.”

“I hope you don’t mean strip poker,” Jack groaned. If Daniel wound up naked and drunk in front of him, he’d have to be tied up not to jump him.

“Truth or dare?” Jim winked. “We can let our little closeted secrets out and see if they have them too. If they do then we start in with the dares.”

“Combine it with quarters and we can sucker them in,” Jack rubbed his hands together.

Jack clinked his beer against Jim’s and went inside. It took a bit of coaxing, especially on Daniel’s part since he didn’t like beer. So they went with drink of choice and Daniel dug out another wine bottle for him and Blair. They filled a small shot glass with water and Jack got out a quarter.

“So here’s the deal. You bounce the quarter of the table. If it lands in the glass you have to drink the entire contents of the glass in front of you.” Daniel knew right then and there he was going to be drunk. But Blair thought it would be a lot of fun. Daniel was a good host if nothing else. He would kill Jack later.

“And here’s the twist, so we get to REALLY know each other. If you get it in you get to ask the person a question, or have them do a dare,” Jim grinned. Blair gulped. Jim was great at sports, especially basketball. All this involved was a quarter. He hoped Jim wouldn’t embarrass him too badly.

Jack could see both Blair and Daniel were hesitant. “Aww, come on we listened to stories about digging in dirt all night. It’s time to have some fun, right Jim?”

“Oh absolutely Jack,” Jim grinned taking out a quarter. He took aim and bounced the quarter off the table, just missing the glass.

“You missed. Blair’s turn!” Jack announced. “Oh and say we forgot you have to point with your elbow at who gets it, and you can’t say drink, drank or drunk!” Daniel groaned. There was no way he’d keep that straight once he got drinking. He hoped he didn’t giggle.

To Blair’s amazement it landed right in the glass. He pointed to Jack with his elbow. Blair smiled triumphantly as Jack chugged down a glass of beer. “Okay Jack, um, have you ever had a blind date?”

Jack laughed. “Oh yeah, back at the Academy. It was awful.” Daniel smiled and took a sip of water as Jim commanded Jack tell the tale. “Well, let’s just say they didn’t call old Ollie the Octopus for nothing. I never met a guy with so many hands.” Daniel spit his water all over himself. Jim laughed and Blair’s chin dropped.

Before Daniel could recover Jack nervously took aim and just managed to miss. He smiled at Jim and made sure not to look at Daniel. Jim grabbed the quarter and pushed it at Daniel. Blindly, Daniel took a shot and missed by a mile, passing it numbly back to Jim who this time got it in perfectly. He winked at Jack and pointed his elbow at Daniel. Gratefully Daniel drank all the wine in his glass and refilled it. “So Daniel, ever been attracted to a guy?”

Daniel turned to Jim in shock. “Uh, um, “he looked at Jack who was studying the quarter like it was the most interesting thing in the galaxy,” I can’t say I’ve ever thought about it until now.” Blair was too stunned by what was happening and this time missed his shot. Jack took the quarter and sank it perfectly. He pointed to Jim with his elbow.

“So Jim, ever dated a guy?” Jack asked as innocently as he could manage.

“OH yeah, can’t stick a man in a tent with another man with no one around for weeks and expect nothing to happen. I never had a long term relationship with a guy though. I’d sure like to try.” Jim looked pointedly at Blair and knocked back his beer. Blair began to sputter as he took the quarter out of the glass. He hit the quarter perfectly and it actually made the glass ring as it hit. Blair’s elbow pointed to Jim.

Jim took the beer, refilled his glass and chugged it for courage. “Jim man, are you a closet gay?”

“Nope, just an equal opportunity lover, “Jim smiled.

Jack grinned. “Good way to put it. Can I use that sometime?”

“Absolutely Jack,” Jim winked, and took the quarter out of Blair’s numb fingers caressing them as he did so. Daniel and Blair stared at each other in total shock at what had just been revealed. Jim sank the quarter perfectly and aimed his elbow at Daniel. “So do you think Jack is good looking?”

Daniel drank his wine very slowly. “Yes,” he said in a small voice, and began to blush. Jack cheered inside, as he could see the signs that the wine was taking effect.

Blair began to shake his head trying to get a grip on reality as Jack took the quarter and sank it into the glass. He pointed his elbow at Blair. “Same question, different target, do you think Jim is good looking?”

Blair drank the wine slowly as Daniel had done. He got up, sat down, got up again and sat down. “Man, I cannot believe this!”

“If you don’t tell the truth then I get to pick a dare,” Jack smirked.

Blair’s eyes went wide. He gulped. “Fine. Yes, Jim’s gorgeous! Is that what you wanted to hear?” Blair threw up his hands.

“That works for me. Does that work for you Jim?” Jack winked at his new friend and beer buddy.

“Oh hell yeah,” Jim said in a much lower voice, aimed directly at Blair who’s eyes went as wide as saucers.

Daniel took the quarter and giggled, but still managed to get the shot in. He smiled at Jack, seemed to remember what he was doing and pointed his elbow at him. Daniel leaned forward eagerly and Jack knew it was almost time to flag him. “Dare.” Daniel giggled again.

“Anything,” Jack replied tossing back the beer.

Daniel blushed, giggled and said, “Kiss me.”

Jack got up so fast his chair fell over. Daniel frowned and leaned way over the table, stared at the empty knocked down chair and wondered where Jack had gone, looked up and found himself suddenly in Jack’s arms. He giggled again. “You move FAST.” Blair burst out laughing and Jim chuckled.

“I’m just warming up Dannyboy,” Jack half growled and kissed Daniel with everything he had. He poured the years of pent of angst, desire and love into the kiss in case it was the only one.

When he pulled away Daniel’s eyes had gone wide. “WOW!” Daniel blushed and grinned. “You like me don’t you Jack?”

“Yasureyoubetcha!” Jack grinned, a happy dopey smile that only booze and being suddenly blissfully happy can produce. “Do you mind?”

“Nope! But you better not kiss me at work, save it for dates,” Daniel pointed at Jack’s chest with one finger. “I’m not …not… um…” Daniel swung around wildly and looked at Blair over Jacks’ arms which were now holding him up “ literally. “What am I not Blair?”

“Oh man, you are so flagged.” Blair laughed loudly.

Daniel nodded and swung back to Jack and pointed with both hands at Blair. “What he said.”

Jack laughed. “Okay sleeping beauty I’m taking you to bed.”

Daniel giggled again. “Not on the first date Jack!”

Shaking his head Jack tossed Daniel over his shoulder in a fireman’s carry. “Geez Daniel, I forgot how solid you are.”

“You need help Jack?” Jim asked getting to his feet.

“Nah, I’ve done it before.” Jack turned and all Jim could see was an upside down Daniel who added with a drunken grin, “Nope he can kiss me all by himself!”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Jim laughed.

Daniel looked back down. “Jack you know, I bet I could bounce that quarter off your ass.” Jim roared as he saw the back of Jack’s neck turn bright red as he hurried down the small hall to the office that was set up as a guest room.

“Jim,” Blair looked at him from across the table.

“Yeah, Chief?” Jim asked hoping Blair was at least tipsy. He inwardly cursed the guys at the station for taking Blair bar hopping so much.

“That was a really nice thing you just did, even if you were kidding,” Blair added with a smile.

“I wasn’t kidding Blair. At the risk of freaking you out more, I feel the same way about you that Jack does about Daniel. Maybe even more, Jim looked honestly at Blair. He stood and taking the few steps that separated them stood in front of Blair. Lowering a hand to Blair he helped him up. “I’m not the best catch around Chief, but I hope you’ll think about it.”

“I take it you weren’t listening to Daniel and I talk while you two were outside, because if you had you’d know I’ve thought about it a lot. You just totally shell shocked me man. I figured I was the only closet case around here. Hell you and Jack were the last men on earth I would have pegged for this. But I just figured I never had a chance. We were having a pity party man, all for me. I never meant for it to come out this way…”

Jim could tell that Blair was just getting on a roll, so he kissed him quickly effectively shutting him up. He pulled away just as quickly still unsure of how Blair would take it. Blair was smiling happily.

But Jim felt a hand grab him around the collar. “Come on Romeo if we don’t get out of here we’re going to take serious advantage of these two.”

“I take it I’m staying at your place tonight Jack?” Jim nodded in understanding.

“Nope!” Daniel entered the room with a duffel bag. “I’m going with Jack and you two are staying here,” Daniel put down the bag, put his arms around Jack’s neck and kissed him as Jack was about to argue the point. He pulled away and Jack was grinning like a loon. Daniel grinned. “I found out how to win an argument! See you in the morning!”

Jack picked up Daniel’s bag still a bit dazed from the kiss and Daniel pinched his ass. Daniel giggled. Jack blushed and quickly opened the door before Daniel changed his mind. He winked at the two guests as he shoved a piece of gum into his mouth then closed the door.

Jim laughed and turned to see Blair smiling at him. “So I wonder how a Sentinel/Guide relationship carries over into the bedroom?”

“I don’t know Chief, maybe we should go do some intense field work?” Jim leered. Blair smirked and ran off. Jim locked the door and ran off after him. Besides, Jim reasoned as he gave chase, a Sentinel needs his Guide, right?


The End