Papyrus by Keikokin [ - ]

Papyrus By Kenaf
also Sam/Teal'c









"Daniel what are you doing?" Jack asked as he plopped his tray down across from him. The mess hall was busy today but as usual the archaeologist was in his own little world.

"Hmm?" Daniel looked up from his writing to see Jack looking at him with amusement and curiosity. “Oh, just writing in my journal; Nothing important. Frowning Jack asked, "Anything about me in there?" Daniel smirked. "That's on a need to know basis General."

"Speaking of need to know basis Danny there is something I'd like you to know." Jack said softly. The tone of voice alone made Daniel put aside his journal giving the General his full attention. "Jack?"

"Danny, I'm going to retire soon. This time for good, and I'm going up to the cabin." Daniel's mouth dropped. "But Jack why?" A sad smile filled Jack's face. "I miss being part of the team Danny, but miss a certain archaeologist even more. Don't know how long I can stand this, or hide it. I thought you should know." Jack shrugged and got back up again.

"Jack, I don't know what to say," Danny whispered. Jack looked at him very seriously and said. "When you do, let me know." With that the General left tossing what was left on his tray, which was most of it really, into the trash before leaving the room.

Daniel sat in stunned silence. Was Jack asking him what he thought? Did Jack want him to retire with him? How did he feel about Jack O'Neill? They'd been through so much over the years. Realizing he was going to be late for the mission today he downed the rest of his coffee and quickly left the mess hall.

As he stood on the floor waiting for clearance to go his mind was filled with Jack's words. Was it his fault Jack was retiring? Did Jack really want to retire? For the good of the program should he turn Jack down easy so he could stay in office? If he was true to himself he knew he too had missed Jack on their missions. But was it more than that?

"Daniel Jackson, you seem very thoughtful today," Teal'c said as they watched the stone circle dial the new coordinates. "Um, yeah I am Teal'c, I am." Daniel looked up to the control room where he saw Jack smile at him and pat his chest pocket then inclined his chin upwards looking meaningfully at Daniels breast pocket. Daniel looked to Teal'c and saw with relief that he was watching the Stargate so he quickly checked his pocket and saw the old papyrus there. Jack had made sure to get his notice by writing whatever he had to say on the old Egyptian paper. Patting it he looked up as General O'Neill called out over the intercom. "Be safe kids." Daniel smiled as he entered the gate wondering if it would be the one of the last times he did so. But as the rush of the gate travel made his stomach swirl once more, he realized it might not be such a bad thing.

Colonel Samantha Carter quickly gave them orders and Daniel couldn't help thinking that if Jack left Samantha would probably be promoted to General and put in charge of the base.
Teal'c might get to form his own team as SG1 or be put on another team. No, it was more likely they would be replaced. The military hated to change numbering systems. After securing the area Teal'c spotted what appeared to be a city a few hours march away but it was already approaching dark on the world so they made camp. Daniel took first watch knowing he wouldn't be able to sleep until he was worn out anyway.

General Jack O'Neill paced in his office. He wasn't kidding when he told Danny that he couldn't take it anymore. Every time Danny went through the gate he felt a sense of doom fill the pit of his stomach. He liked protecting Danny's six on his own. Hell, he liked watching it even more.
Remembering the stunned look on Danny's face he wondered for the hundredth time if it was such a good idea to let him know how he felt. Well, it wasn't the whole truth, not really. But he couldn't tell Danny he loved him in the middle of the mess hall could he? No. Luckily he had guess right that Danny had hidden his feelings just as well as he did. There was no revulsion in the young man's eyes, only confusion. He hoped the note would help.

With tired eyes Daniel saw Sam coming out to relieve him of guard duty. Something that was much easier with four people to share it. As Daniel lowered himself to the bedroll, he remembered the note. He eagerly took it out of his pocket to read it.

I think I know you well enough to answer some of your questions. No, I'm not just doing this because of you. Being the man' is not for me and I'm long overdue to kickback courtesy of Uncle Sam. So turning me down will not make me stay. There's a reason I'm going to the cabin. If you do turn me down I can be further away. But if I get lucky and you say ‘yes' then we don't have to worry about what our friends think. There's a college not too far from the cabin if you still felt the need to teach I'm sure the Air Force would happily recommend you while making it clear that your services have been exceptional. I've hidden my feelings for you for years. I wish I were there to see your face in person since I'm finally saying this.

I love you Danny and I think I always have in some measure. Please think it over.

Putting the paper away Daniel Jackson took off his glasses, noticing absently they were wet and slept with a smile on his face. In the hazy fog of a dream Daniel felt his morning erection thinking immediately of a certain brown-eyed General. He writhed in his sleep. A small something seemed to be in the bag with him and with sudden fear he slowly extracted himself from the blankets.
He took a stick and stuck it in the military issue blankets. Something at the other end grabbed it and Daniel wrenched it out. A small half starved puppy looked at him in a way that said, "My stick get your own." With a sigh of relief Daniel fished around his clothing until he found some food suitable for the small puppy then got dressed.

"Good morning Daniel Jackson," Teal'c greeted him. "What is that you have?"

The small bundle of fur peeked out of Daniel's coat. "I had a visitor. Think I can con the General into letting me keep him?" Daniel laughed as the dog happily licked his face. Teal'c made a face of amusement. "Perhaps for you he would make an exception." Daniel frowned. Did the Jaffa know how Jack felt about him? "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Morning guys," Sam yawned coming around at last.

"Saved by the gong," Teal'c smiled and went to help the Colonel get up. Stretching and scratching Sam looked oddly at Daniel. "Is that a dog?" Daniel grinned and nodded. "Cute little guy," Sam patted its head and was rewarded with a few licks to the hand. "Think Jack will let me bring him back?" Daniel asked hopefully. "Depends if you smile at him and bat your eyes or bat your eyes then smile," Sam said evenly.

Daniels mouth dropped. "Hey! I do not bat my eyes!! And what are you inferring anyway?" Sam grinned. "General's pet, but you were probably teachers pet too. Am I right?" Daniel sputtered.

"I am ringing the gong; time to break up camp and move out."

"Bell Teal'c," Daniel corrected, "It's saved by the bell and ringing the bell, no gong." The Jaffa nodded and proceeded to pack, as did Sam.

Daniel felt himself both fuming with anger and flushing with embarrassment as he packed his things the dog running around him in circles as he did. They set out quickly for the town and Daniel finally got up the nerve to ask what had been on his mind. "You two realize that I am part of SG1 because of my contribution and not Jack O'Neill." Sam shook her head picking up the pace. "Oh Daniel, no one is saying anything different. Don't tell me you never noticed how Jack looks at you?"

The Jaffa laughed. "Daniel Jackson notices only the writing on the wall." Sam laughed. "That's true. Poor Jack never stood a chance against that."

Daniel sputtered. "What exactly are you two trying to tell me here? That the entire time Jack was on the team he …he…" Daniel gestured wildly with his hands.

"Was warm for you form? Oh yeah, I never stood a chance. Mind you he's a bit prickly for me. How do you stand that?" Sam asked seriously.

"Stand what? You are acting as though we are in a relationship already!" Daniel sputtered.

Teal'c chuckled. "The peas are spilled."

Sam laughed. "Beans, Teal'c." She looked back at Daniel who was still blushing.

"Look Daniel. You're a nice guy really but Jack has been sweet on you for YEARS. We were taking bets on whether he would last until retirement before putting the move on you." Daniel wondered if his feet were blushing. He rubbed the back of his neck. "Jack has not put the moves on me."

"Ah so, General O'Neill is retiring then?" Teal'c asked while stopping to check on the distance to the town.

"General Samantha Carter," Sam gushed. "Oh I do like the sound of that." She beamed. "So when are you two leaving? Going to the cabin I take it? Wow, what a sweet way to retire."

Teal'c nodded. "Indeed."

Daniel yelled, "Will you two stop doing that?!"

Sam frowned "Doing what?" Daniel shifted the dog from his legs and said, "Talking about me as if I'm not here! I didn't tell him anything yet! He just mentioned he's retiring this morning. I didn't know how he felt and WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME BEFORE NOW?????!!!!!"

"Grumpy much without your morning coffee?" Sam walked to the other side of Teal'c snickering as she did so. Walking now in silence they grew closer to the tent city. The puppy whined and Daniel picked it up and tucked it into his coat again. It trembled in fear within his coat taking his attention away from the traitorous twosome.

A small gathering came forward to greet them. They seemed very curious about them and were on the level of the American Indian in respects to looks, culture and technology. It was then that Daniel spotted the turning spit in the middle of the compound. Going round and round was what appeared to be roasted dog.
He took a step backwards turning slightly green. The peoples had no verbal communication skills only hand gestures. After a few futile attempts at the language the trio decided the culture was too primitive too understand then turned to leave. Another team would have to be sent in to study the primitive culture on a long-term basis. Daniel was thrilled to be going since the head of the tribe seemed to be eying his coat and licking his lips.

It took awhile before any of them spoke again but Daniel surmised that the other two had seen the spit for they both gave him food for the puppy. "So Daniel why isn't the puppy making you sneeze?" Sam finally asked breaking the silence.

Daniel had wondered this himself but was silently thrilled as all other dogs made pet keeping impossibility for him. "Must be because he's not an Earth dog."

Sam smirked. "Gee Daniel, did the blue coloring give him away?" Daniel chuckled. Even Teal'c smiled.

"So Daniel Jackson does this mean goodbye?" Teal'c asked as they approached the gate.

Sam stopped and looked ready to cry. "Oh my gosh, Daniel do you realize this might be the last planet you're ever on with SG1?" Daniel smiled as he looked around. "I didn't say I was leaving."

"What? But you love him!! Why would you just let him go like that?" Sam sputtered. "If it was me I'd be gone like that," she snapped her fingers for emphasis.

"Daniel Jackson is there a reason you would not go to be with Jack O'Neill? Surely it is not that he is a man? I know your culture frowns upon these things but on my world every man experience both kinds of love and is not limited in his desires. It would be unwise to limit your own desire to conform."

Daniel could feel himself blushing again. "You guys are really okay with this?"

"Why wouldn't we be? Stupid military used to keep out women too. I'll show them. What do you think of this Samantha Carter, President of the United States of America?" She smirked and looked away with a dreamy proud expression.

Teal'c frowned. "Only if they allow you to have a Jaffa husband." Daniel's mouth dropped as Sam squealed then jumped into the Jaffa's arms. Teal'c growled low in his throat as he began to kiss Sam as if Daniel was not there.

"Um, right. Ah, so I'll just go on ahead shall I?" Daniel kept his eyes forward as he ran to go dial the DHD and send his signal through. The gate roared to life and Daniel gave one look back, seeing clothing flying through the air and wished to hell he hadn't. He was blushing so brightly when he came through the gate he'd forgotten all about the puppy in his coat.

"Where are Teal'c and Carter?" Jack said with concern seeing Daniel's red face. Daniel smiled and walked up to the General then whispered in his ear. "Going at it like rabbits." Jack burst out in laughter, right up until Daniels jacket moved. He stepped quickly back. "Daniel what's that?"

"Oh him," the small blue puppy was taken out of his coat. Jack rolled his eyes. "Daniel you can't bring home strange animals you know that!" Daniel grabbed the puppy closer to him. "But I think the natives were eating his mother for dinner. I couldn't just leave him!" Daniel smiled, batted his eyelashes and for good measure smiled again. Jack threw up his arms. "Have Frasier look at him. If he passes muster then I suppose." Daniel beamed then strode off for the infirmary. Jack frowned as half of his command staff followed muttering, "Ooohs," and "Aahhs," after him. With a grimace he realized this was one more reason he had to leave. It seemed half the base was interested in Danny in one way or another.

It was then that Jack recalled that Danny had not given him an answer. Sighing he said to the staff sergeant, "Let me know when the other two return. They can take showers first but then I want a debriefing to immediately follow. Tell them to wear dress uniforms." Turning on his heel Jack went to type up his resignation and to place a few calls to see about having Samantha promoted first. That is if the Jaffa hadn't convinced her to stay on Earth. Jack smiled. He wondered how long the pair would wait.

As he began to pack up his things a knock came at his door. "It's open Danny." Surprised blue eyes and ball of blue fur came around the door. "How did you know it was me?" Jack shrugged. "Must have been that psychic mail in course. Oh you need to go change into dress clothes for the ceremony for Carter. Bring your laptop to the meeting. But what did Janet say?" He pointed to the dog. Daniel beamed. "He has far less germs then any earth dog and no dander to speak off. It's why he doesn't make me sneeze." Jack smiled wearily. "That's nice. Anything else Danny?"

"Yes actually. Does that offer include pets?" Danny grinned broadly. Jack stopped packing the box to look at Daniel. "Okay, yeah you betcha!" Daniel looked around the office. "Is it safe?" He whispered. Jack nodded pointing to the camera in the corner with a baseball hat hanging on top of it. Daniel nodded and leaned over to give Jack a light kiss that brushed across the General's lips.

"God Danny. How soon can you and Meany pack?" Daniel frowned. "Meanie?" Jack pointed at the puppy. "Didn't you ever watch the yellow submarine, the blue meanies?" Daniel laughed. "Only you Jack, only you. Well I suppose if people can call poodles Bruiser then we can call such a nice puppy Meany."

Jack smiled as he taped up his box. "Go pack and um, Danny?" Daniel looked at Jack in question. "Carter told you about the eye trick didn't she?" Laughing happily Daniel nodded before leaving to pack. By the time the briefing took place both men were ready to go and Jack had the go to promote Carter to General. The mission was discussed then a report quickly typed up by Daniel, printed and signed by all.

"It's a good thing I'm retiring between the three of you every rule in the book was broken today. But since I'm so incredibly senile that I'm retiring I might accidentally lose a page of my report too." Jack smiled setting one page of the report on fire and tossing it in an ashtray. "I'm going to miss this, us, the team."

Sam beamed at Teal'c then nudged him. "Go on ask him." Teal'c took a deep breath then said. "Samantha Carter and I were wondering if you would sell a piece of land to us on the other side of the lake with the fish that you CLAIM are so big."

Jack's grin could have powered the Stargate. "You make an honest woman of her big guy and you can consider it a gift. But you make sure to call first, before you stop by." Jack beamed at Daniel, "we might be busy."

Shaking his head General O'Neill stood up and said. "I hope you don't mind Carter but no time like the present. Washington doesn't want the Stargate project down. Let's go down to the gate room. I don't want the biggest catch of my lifetime to get away." Daniel Jackson winked at the soon be civilian Jack O'Neill and as he passed whispered. "You won't Jack, you won't. I love you too."
Fin