In answer to a challenge
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by MGM, various publishers and merchants. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended, nor any malice toward the wonderful actors and actresses that make Stargate: SG1 come to life.











Jack watched Daniel pace from one side of his office to the other. His long, graceful fingers stroked one book spine, then another. Then he huffed, hugged himself and paced some more.

Frowning, Jack asked, "What the hell is wrong with you today Daniel?"

"I don't know I'm just edgy, bouncy like there's something I should be doing but I can't seem to figure it out."

"Daniel you need to get laid. Didn't I order you to get a life?"

"No, you didn't. Yes, I do need to get laid. Are you offering?"

"Are you out of your mind? I'm military! This is a military facility! I can't believe you just asked me that -even in jest!"

Daniel leaned across the General's desk. "No need to get so uptight. Now who needs to get laid? Quit yelling Jack, you're giving me a headache." He leaned over, closing the gap between them and kissed the older man, effectively shutting him up.

Jack felt himself blushing for the first time since he was a teenager. He was too flabbergasted to talk and could only sputter in shock.

"See you later Jack." Daniel smiled and left the office.

"I don't think I'm in Kansas anymore," Jack muttered touching his lips. Did Daniel really just kiss him? No. He must be imagining things. Still he got up and looked down the corridors for a sign of the archeologist. He was long gone, or was he ever really there? Looking up to the security camera as he returned to his office he muttered, "Damn!" Jack took off quickly for the security room to confiscate the tape.

Luckily when he got there the security officer was still reviewing the previous day's tapes. Jack took the tape for his office and stashed it in his jacket pocket. The airman stared at him. "Problem sir?"

"Not anymore," Jack left the room and the security man just shook his head. General O'Neill was a different breed that was for sure.
*********************************************************************

"Hey Daniel," Sam Carter smiled at her friend. "Wow, you look happy about something. Spill."

"It will cost you a cup of coffee, good coffee," Daniel smirked.

"OH, this must be good. Okay, I'll treat." Sam headed back to her lab with Daniel walking along side of her. She glanced over at him to see he was smiling happily.

Sam quickly made a pot of coffee, from her own stash then turned eagerly to Daniel. "So what happened?"

"Coffee first," Daniel smiled as he relived the moment in his own mind.

"Okay, who is he?" Sam had known of Daniel's sexual preference for a long time.

"Who is it? Come on Sam," Daniel chuckled shaking his head.

"No. Daniel what did you do?" Sam spun a chair around backwards to sit in it.

"Still waiting on that coffee Sam," Daniel smirked. Sam made a face then managed to get one cup out of the coffee carafe. She handed it to Daniel expectantly. "Thanks."

"Oh come on Daniel!!" Sam whined.

"Made him shut up," Daniel smiled behind his mug of coffee before taking a deep gulp.

"I swear your throat is made of asbestos. What do you mean you shut him up? I mean there's only so many ways to shut a person up... no, you didn't!"

"Yasureyoubetcha!" Daniel laughed out loud. "That man has amazingly soft lips."

Sam's face broke into a huge grin. "No way! What did he do?"

"He blushed!" Daniel smiled happily once more. "I made the poor guy blush and rendered him totally speechless. Apparently, I should have done this on a mission years ago!"

"In front of the security cameras?" Sam laughed. "I bet he high tailed it up to security in a hurry."

"Yeah, well it ensured my get away right?" Daniel winked.

"What happened to sweet, innocent, naïve Doctor Daniel Jackson?" Sam shook her head laughing.

"I believe he was seduced by the Dark Side," Teal'c surmised walking into the office. "It would seem I have missed something that would indicate Daniel Jackson's lack of innocence. What is it this time?"

Daniel and Sam waved hello as the Jaffa nodded. He stood at parade rest, looking with amusement from one to the other.

"He did it Teal'c! Daniel kissed him!" Sam grinned.

"Indeed? What was his reaction?" Teal'c inclined his head to one side.

"Blushed!! Do you believe it? Sam crowed.

Teal'c raised an eyebrow in Daniel's direction. "It would seem you escaped without injury as well. This is progress is it not?"

Sam toasted Daniel with her now filled coffee mug. "Here's to a new couple!" Daniel smiled and drank as well. Teal'c smirked in amusement.

Jack was fuming. He was stuck in one meeting after another all day. Yet, in his mind all he could think about was Daniel's kiss that morning.

Why did it bother him so much? It was a joke, right? Well, it just had to be. If it wasn't a joke then Daniel had just come on to him. FUCK. Why did that just make his dick twitch? Was he interested in Daniel? More importantly was Daniel seriously coming on to him? He groaned.

"Sir, are you okay?"

Jack blinked in confusion staring at the officer across from him. "Sure, headache that's all. Go on." With a nod, the meeting continued but Jack was soon thinking about the kiss once again.

He bolted out of the conference room as soon as he could, determined to find Daniel. Jack checked Daniel's office, Sam's lab and even Teal'c room but not only was Daniel missing but so were Sam and Teal'c. Then he looked at his watch and realized that it was already 1800 hours. Grumbling once again at the non-stop meetings he'd been in all day Jack left the mountain to head home.

When he got home he replayed the videotape. Sure enough, there it was in full color. Daniel leaned over and kissed him. Oh god, he really had blushed. He thought about calling Daniel to see why he'd done it but he needed to eat something and get to bed. Daniel and the rest of SG-1 had a mission in the morning so he was probably incommunicado anyway. Jack sighed and tried once more to put it at the back of his mind.

The next day was harder than Jack could have imagined. He wanted nothing more than to get to talk to Daniel for a minute at least but he barely had time to wish them a safe journey from the control room. Fear gripped Jack's gut as Daniel walked through the shimmering blue event horizon.

"Call me when they are due to report in," Jack ordered the airman at the controls then tried to bury himself in paperwork so as not to worry. When the call came in Jack hurried up to the control room. "Well, where the hell are they?" he snapped at no one in particular.

"Sir?"

"Damn it I had a bad feeling when they left! I shouldn't have let them go!" Jack ran his fingers through his hair while he tried to recall the details of this mission. SG1 had gone to secure mining rights on what seemed to be a peaceful planet. He snorted. When was it ever a peaceful planet? "Call me when they make contact Lieutenant," Jack snapped and turned on his heel. Just then the klaxons sounded and Jack turned quickly. "What is it?"

"SG1 sir. It looks like their coming home!" Jack growled this was not a good sign. But at least they were coming home. He stood anxiously bouncing on the balls of his feet as he watched his team fly through the gate between live fire shots. His heart stopped as he noticed Daniel was missing.

"CLOSE THE IRIS!" Colonel Carter yelled.

"DO IT!" Jack yelled before he dashed down to the gate room.

"Where's Daniel?" he snapped as Teal'c helped Carter to her feet. The two team members looked at each other before Teal'c replied.

"He was taken prisoner O'Neill. I believe he is currently aboard the Goa'uld mothership." Jack closed his eyes then rubbed his forehead. He looked at them both. Sam had a light wound to her leg and needed to go to the infirmary but Teal'c seemed unharmed.

"Let's get a medical team in here STAT!" Jack yelled. "Carter get that taken care of, Teal'c you're with me. Let's debrief and get SG-3 in on the act."

"Sir, I'm fine, really," Sam began. Jack waved her off. "Carter, please don't fight me on this one. We have plenty of SG teams to send in there. I need you here - healing!" She nodded then added. "Sorry sir, he…"

"He's a stubborn son-of-a-bitch who always gets in trouble. You're singing to the choir, Colonel." Jack turned as the medical team arrived to care for Sam's leg and Teal'c followed.

*********************************************************************

Daniel hated to admit it but he was scared out of his mind. That last staff blast had missed him by a narrow margin. It was, however, close enough that he lost his vision. It didn't take long for the Serpent Guard to capture a blind man. He felt the rings take him up to what was most likely a mothership.

Daniel hoped that Sam and Teal'c made it to the Stargate. He seemed to be in the standard cell now. His mind slipped back to once before when the whole SG1 team was blind and waiting for their vision to come back. Holding his knees close to him and leaning back against a wall he
tried to fight off the fear that the darkness would eat him alive. He realized that if he died right now, who the person he would miss the most would be. It was the person he was in love with and had been for years now, Jack.

*********************************************************************

SG-3 and SG-6 had been assembled in the gate room. Teal'c put a large hand on Jack's shoulder. "We will be successful." Jack could only nod. He was too scared to do much else. The MALP was sent in first and showed the gate on the other side was abandoned. Luckily there were trees to either side of it for cover. For once, Jack was grateful for trees. At least if it was an ambush the teams could have cover, too.

After an hour Teal'c reported in to the SGC, where a pacing General was swearing to himself he'd retire for real after this mission. "Teal'c!" Jack cried happily.

"O'Neill we have Daniel Jackson. He is alive O'Neill." Teal'c said looking unhappy.

"What is it?" Jack snapped, fear once again gripping him.

"He is blind," Teal'c said softly. "We are entering the codes now. Several members of both teams suffered minor injuries as well."

Jack gulped and nodded. "Medical team to the gate room STAT!" went out over the intercom as Jack barked into it. He hurried down to the gate room. Teal'c was holding onto Daniel and they were the last to enter. "SHUT DOWN THE IRIS!" Jack yelled. He followed Teal'c and Daniel to the infirmary.

Jack sat down at Daniel's side when his eyes were done being examined. The doctor shook his head, and then closed the curtains behind him.

Taking Daniel in his arms, Jack felt the man start to shake. "I'm not getting my sight back am I, Jack?"

"Not right now at least. But we'll call in the best Daniel," Jack held on tightly.

"So is this a pity hug or did you miss me that much?" Daniel tried to joke despite the tears running out from under the dressing on his eyes.

Jack choked on his own tears, "Oh crap Daniel, why did this have to happen to you?"

With a shrug Daniel whispered, "I don't suppose I could bunk at your place Jack?"

"You got it buddy. " Jack realized right then he better call in someone to cover the SGC. There was no way he'd let Daniel be alone at a time like this. "I need to make some calls Daniel."

Daniel pulled away into a little ball and Jack felt like a heel. "Daniel, I'll be back I swear; as fast as I can then we'll go home okay?"

"Jack come here," Daniel whispered softly. Daniel raised his hands to Jack's face then leaned up to kiss him again. He pulled away with a smile. "Hurry back."

"You betcha," Jack grinned and before he left. "By the way, Daniel I'm grinning like a lunatic right now." Daniel smiled and rested his head back on his knees.

Jack got off the phone with a groan. It had taken more phone calls then he had imagined. But he was finally stepping down. Daniel would be put on consultant status and they were both effectively out of the program, at least as far as active duty went. Carter walked in as he was making the last call and caught on quickly.

"Sorry to lose you sir, but I'm glad that Daniel won't be alone," Sam said. Jack hit the remote for the camera in his office.

"Any more word from the doctor?" Jack asked nervously.

"No sir. There's a slim chance he could regain his sight on his own, but it's unlikely," Sam began to cry and Jack handed her the tissue box.

"Easy Carter, I'll take care of him. You and the big guy come visit anytime. Hell, you can bring along Pete too. "Jack tried to smile and hoped it worked. Sam nodded into her chest and quickly left the office. Jack locked up his office and headed over to the infirmary. Daniel was still curled up in a ball on the bed.

"Jack?" Daniel called out as he neared.

"How did you know?" Jack asked in surprise coming to sit next to Daniel on the bed.

"Your cologne. Can we please get out of here?" Daniel shivered slightly. Jack put his arm around his shoulder and guided him up. The doctor came over, looking sadly at Daniel then nodded to Jack.

"Ya, let's go Daniel," Jack led Daniel out of the mountain. Word must have gotten around because no one got in their way. When they spotted Daniel they moved out of the way with great looks of pity.

Jack guided Daniel to his truck and helped him get inside. When Jack got in Daniel had already managed to buckle himself in," They were all staring at me when we left weren't they?"

"They want to help Daniel, but they don't know what to do or say. No one meant any harm by it," Jack answered.

"Yeah, I know I just feel like a freak," Daniel replied staring straight ahead.

"Look maybe we can get a hold of the Asgard or something and get this fixed," Jack offered hoping to boost the archeologist's spirits.

"Hmm, Jack will someone be staying with me tomorrow?" Daniel asked sounding anxious.

"Yup, yours truly, I'm using up my vacation time and then stepping down. Carter will watch things in the meantime," Jack said softly.

"Jack, I don't want you to retire on account of me! What if I do get my vision back?" Daniel argued grabbing one of his arms tightly.

"I wanted to Daniel. Besides you're my best friend I wasn't going to let you do this alone," Jack replied moving a hand to cover Daniels. The archeologist sighed and pulled his hand away. Jack watched as Daniel seemed to pull inside himself again. Unsure of what to say, Jack drove the rest of the way in silence.

When they arrived at the house Jack walked Daniel inside then settled him down on the couch, "Coffee?"

"Sure," Daniel shifted a bit on the couch and found the afghan on the back then pulled it over himself. Jack went out to the kitchen and made the coffee. While it brewed he wondered what life would be like for the two of them from now on and what he'd said to upset Daniel. Of course, there was always the question as to why Daniel kept kissing him. Was he putting off vibes? More importantly did he mind? Was this what Daniel was upset about that he had said they
were best friends and Daniel wanted more? How did he feel about that?

"Jack the coffee is done; can I have a cup now?" Snapping out of his speculation, Jack looked over to see the coffee was ready.

"How?" Jack asked collecting two cups worth of coffee for both of them.

"The coffee maker puts out a certain sound, almost like an exhale when it's done," Daniel held out his hands and Jack carefully put the mug in them.

"Why did you kiss me Daniel?"

"Don't worry about it Jack. It won't happen again."

"That isn't what I said."

"So you didn't mind then?" Daniel asked between sips of coffee.

"I, um, well, you kind of took me by surprise there Daniel," Jack admitted.

Daniel's face lit up. "So if you knew I was going to kiss you it would be okay?"

"Well, I never considered it before. When did you suddenly decide you wanted to do this?" Jack could feel himself wondering what it would be like to have Daniel kiss him again.

"Does it really matter? I said I won't do it again," Daniel shrugged.

"What if I didn't mind?" Jack moved to sit next to Daniel. Reaching out Daniel's hand came to rest on Jack's leg. Jack covered it with his hand.

"Well, I did appreciate the fact that you didn't hit me," Daniel leaned into the arm Jack put around his shoulders. It was comforting beyond words to feel a human touch in the darkness that surrounded him.

Jack pulled Daniel fully into his arms, rubbing up and down his back. "You never told me why."

"I had nothing left to lose," Daniel replied snuggling into Jack's neck.

"Daniel, you can do so much better than me." Jack said quietly.
"There's no one else for me but you Jack," Daniel pulled away but Jack pulled him back. "What are you doing?"

"Saying 'yes'," Jack whispered putting a hand on each side of Daniel's face and kissing him, just once before pulling away.

"Yes to what Jack?" Daniel asked with a large smile on his face.

"You, me together, sappiness and the whole enchilada, the real meal deal whether you get your sight back or not." Jack put Daniel's hand on his face so he could feel the smile.

"Jack what a big softie you've turned out to be," Daniel smiled broadly running his fingertips over Jack's grin.

"Don't tell," Jack whispered.

"Never," Daniel replied and kissed the man that he loved.

***
Fin