Alone? by Keikokin [ - ]

Story Notes:
This is from the A-Z prompt challenge I'm doing on my yahoo group and LJ. Harry Potter is not mine. No maliciousness is intended toward JKR, the characters or the world of HP. No profit is being made.
Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: I had actually started to write this in completely the reverse of the request, but I hope it’s all straightened out now. And Amedia, I hope I get those bonus points! Once again it wove into a ficlet! OOps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lucius stared out over the elegant grounds of Malfoy Manor, the sunlight glinting off the Malfoy Crest Ring on his left hand that was leaning on the door jamb. He sighed heavily. The skies were beautiful, a light wind rustled through the trees and the horses were nickering in their stalls simply begging to get out. Normally it would mean a morning ride with Harry through the gardens and out into the meadows and valleys bellow. The estate had become their playground; their smiles and laughter filling the air. And late at night their passion consumed them like wildfire. But Harry was away on a dangerous mission and Lucius never missed someone or worried about them as much as he’d done in the interim. Everywhere Lucius looked; he saw Harry and missed him terribly.

It had been impossible to miss, especially for the Lady of the Manor who was currently walking into the room to stand aside Lucius. She saw the possible threat. She loved Lucius, enough to allow him his freedoms, and he did the same for her. However, due to the war they’d had very few dalliances over the years drawing them closer than ever. Now with their new found popularity, thanks to being on the good side when the war ended, Narcissa had been able to collect several intimate friends. Yet, Harry Potter was different than any one else she’d noted Lucius playing with from time to time. For starters he’d been there every day for months now. Then there was the fact Lucius had taken a leave from all his responsibilities to spend as much time as possible with the younger man.

Draco had clearly been threatened to get along and as a result was around the manor very little these days. Each time she had seen her son since her husband began his friendship with Potter, Draco had asked if ‘it was over yet?”

But this had lasted. Narcissa sighed. She was not a Slytherin for nothing. The foundation blocks should be laid now. She would be incredibly gracious so she could remain in Lucius Malfoy’s life; he owed her that at least. Years of training made this look easy, and lifting her chin slightly she stated, “I suppose you miss him.” Lucius didn’t turn, but the fabric of his shirt shifted as his muscles tensed.

“Perhaps you even love him,” Narcissa conceded. “However, I have loved you longer.” She cleared her throat. “I am not blind. I see that he holds your heart. But, I come from the noble house of Black and will not be so readily pushed aside.” She gave her best cold look before it slowly changed into a softer expression. “I wish to always be in your life, even if it is only as a friend.” A flash of blinding love shot through Lucius’ eyes at the word “love” and Narcissa wondered how much Potter really cared for Lucius in return.

When she finished speaking, Lucius stood as still as stone. It was amazingly easy to read Lucius after all these years, and Narcissa saw this as a sign that she was absolutely correct. Lucius loved Potter. She continued watching his eyes subtly shift from emotion to emotion; perhaps this is what drew Potter to the older man, his mystique and power. Despite what Lucius had been through he was just so…open – if you were allowed beyond the castle gates that he erected to keep everyone out.

At last it settled on relief, though there was still a hint of pain in his eyes. Perhaps Narcissa could use this. “I can see you miss him. Perhaps I can keep you company while you wait?”

Fluidly Lucius picked up her hand and brought it to his lips to kiss it. “I told Harry that you were a Lady and he didn’t understand. But I’ve always known and yet there are times like these Narcissa that you impress even me.” He kissed her hand then gently lowered it back to her side before releasing it. Narcissa felt her heart warm and took his arm. “You do know if he hurts you that I’ll make him wish the Dark Lord was back?”

Lucius laughed and felt better than he had in days. Harry would be away for ‘as long as it takes’. But suddenly it didn’t seem to stretch out as long as it once had. He felt relief and comfort in Narcissa’s reaction to the situation. “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Chapter End Notes:
Please review and/or join in the fun with the A-Z Prompt challenge on my yahoo group and LJ.