Title: Flying High
Author: Keikokin
Beta: Twinsarein thanks so much!!
Rating: PG
Fandom/Pairing: SV & CLEX
Authors Note: Written for CLFF Wave 31: Jealousy. I had to use the phrase “one luscious”. Thanks to Shadowfox who helped me figure out a different angle for the jealousy route. Dedicated to Jason and Janis Joplin
Disclaimer: None of the characters, places or realms of the DC Superman Universe or the TV show of Smallville are mine. No maliciousness intended toward the actors & actresses who bring it to life.

On the outside, Lex Luthor is calm, cool and collected. However, inside he is seething. His hands slide gracefully to his lap. Clenching his hands until his nails dig into his palms, Lex uses the pain to help him see past his emotions. He keeps his eyes on the screen of his laptop and watches the video on a continuous loop.

Despite tempting charms, the star of the video had a forked tongue. Clark Kent was raised to be painfully honest, just as long as that honesty didn’t make him reveal his secrets. And now, lie after lie was revealed in clear, vibrant color as they raced across the screen.

Clark Kent could use his eyes, strength or speed to kill anyone. Thankfully, the Kents’ had raised him to be gentle and kind. And he was not their natural child. Lex had envied Clark a long time for that. If only Lionel had given him up after the meteor shower, instead of keeping him imprisoned in a life he never wanted.

Martha Kent was a wonderful woman, and Lex found himself wishing more than once that she was his mother. For that privilege, he’d even be willing to consider Jonathan Kent as his father. Even the parable-filled man had to be better then having Lionel as a father. No doubt, father and son had tossed a ball back and forth more than once. Clark had it all.

Lex wondered if knowing what he knew now, if his previous state of ignorance had been bliss or not. Without a doubt though, he’d seen enough. He turned off the computer, locked it and left the room quickly. Lex’s mind ran in circles as he considered all the possibilities of what could happen to Clark if anyone found out
At the same time, a small part of Lex cried out, “Why not me?” After all, hadn’t he been in the same meteor shower? Couldn’t he have wished to be his own superhero? Undoubtedly, like other little boys his age, Clark had been thinking of his favorite comic book hero and, thanks to the meteorites, became exactly that. It would also make sense that, because he had so many abilities, Clark was more susceptible to the green meteorites than the average Smallville Mutant such as himself.
Lex strode down to the garage, hoping that a bit of air might help him think. His mind couldn’t help but continue to wonder why Clark had been so lucky. He had a wonderful home and family that Lex had only dreamed of for most of his life. Then he’d become infused with super powers from those stupid rocks, when all Lex got was a bald head and no reason to ever miss school.

Before Lex had even thought about it, he’d picked out his new Pagani Zonda R, a car that flew over the straight Kansas roads like the wind. Eight-hundred and twenty five thousand pounds, plus conversion rates, were well spent for the over 600 horse powered engine. He drove the rest of the afternoon away, driving around roads he had no business being on in such a vehicle. His stomach clenched on the acid it churned up in his jealousy over Clark’s powers and life that was so easily handed to him.

He’d been wrapped around Clark’s little finger since the first time he’d laid eyes on the amazing angel who’d saved his life. But Clark had lied to him, often. Okay, so maybe he did it to protect himself, but he could have come to Lex for protection! Granted, being a son of Lionel Luthor meant that one didn’t necessarily understand friendships. Nevertheless, hadn’t Clark asked him for help on every other matter in his life? Didn’t he trust him?

The pale moonlight was starting to edge the horizon and the farms that dotted the flat landscape. Lex stopped for just a moment and put his collar up as the wind rose. He was startled to find the beauty in the starlit sky and the chill in the air. Taking one last look around, he started to move slowly back to the car when on the edge of his hearing he heard a soft voice.

“I’m so lonesome I could cry.” Lex frowned and turned toward the voice. He tried not to be shocked to see Clark standing suddenly before him.

“Clark, what brings you to the outskirts of nowhere?” Lex asked, in a tone that might have hinted at his displeasure at being caught out in a private moment.

“Don’t you care? You used to care Lex.” Clark said simply, as if Lex had never even posed a question.

Lex thought about ignoring his young friend, but the envy he’d been feeling all day bubbled to the surface once more. “I suppose you used that super speed of yours. It must be nice to just run anywhere you want in a blink of an eye.”

Clark opened his mouth to speak, shut it, opened it and shut it again. He settled on a shrug. Lex turned away in disgust, going back to his car.

“WOW! When did you get that? I saw it on a television show about the fastest cars in the world! It must have cost a fortune. Damn, I wish I could have a car like that!” Clark gushed over the car and Lex noticed the smoke rising from the beat up farm boots the young man wore.

Seeing those boots and knowing that it would really pinch the Kent family budget to replace Clark’s rather large shoes every time he decided to race around the town, Lex felt his perceptions shift. It hit him all at once. His abilities weren’t a gift to Clark, they were a burden. They were something that had to be hidden, protected and suffered. For a moment, Lex wondered how many things Clark had broken over the years with his super-strength. And how long had it taken him to get the laser beam eyes under control?

Lex almost laughed when he looked at his friend from this different view. Clark was clearly envious of Lex, when Lex had been just as jealous of him for his powers and life. “Want to drive?” Lex asked with a smirk, reveling in the feel of being on the opposite side of the fence.

Clark’s face practically split in two with an enormous, honest smile. “You mean it?”

“For a price,” Lex said, suddenly inspired to try for the stars.

“Price?” Clark asked in confusion, his outstretched hand for the keys had stopped mid-air.
“When you learn to fly take me with you,” Lex said softly as he stepped into Clark’s space, not allowing the brunet any escape.

To Clark’s credit he didn’t deny it. With a soft smile, he nodded. “I want to learn how to fly.”

“Then come here.” Lex cupped the back of his friend’s neck and kissed him possessively. Clark gasped, and Lex pulled him tighter, knowing he couldn’t do any damage. He sucked on Clark’s lower lip, then thrust his tongue inside the welcoming warmth that beckoned. Clark shivered against him. That was when Lex’s brain registered that Clark hadn’t pushed him away. About the same time, his ears reported that Clark was panting heavily. Lex pulled away reluctantly and for the briefest moment he felt like he was part of Clark’s magnificence of innocence, need and god-like abilities. These gifts had by the sheer virtue of their existence connected he and Clark on a whole new level. Or perhaps it was simply the godlike ambrosia from the mere taste from those willing lips.

Clark’s eyes slowly opened before he looked at Lex. A high blush tinged his cheeks so vividly Lex could see it in the ever darkening night. “Clark?” Lex asked a bit nervously. Was Clark about to bolt? Could he even catch up if he did? He made a mental note to ask Clark to race the Zonda, if they were still talking by morning.

Ducking his head Clark said, “I like flying.” Lex Luthor suddenly realized that he had everything he could ever want standing in front of him and nothing at all to be jealous of. Others could be jealous of him for having one luscious Clark Kent. He pulled Clark back to him and looked him in the eyes he now knew he’d always loved.

“Just reach for the sky, Clark.” And Lex bid his heart goodbye.