Story Notes:
Bonus points for figuring out what song I was listening to at the end.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own the character portrayed herein and no maliciousness was intended by their usage. Nor maliciousness toward the actors and actresses of Smallville.
A lone figure sits at a glass desk. His name is Lex Luthor. And his life is about to change. As he types away, the sounds of footsteps dimly register in his mind. He looks up, automatically shutting down his laptop and closing it, hiding its contents. There is a familiar knock that Lex recognizes as the hired help. “Come in,” he calls out and watches as the doorknob turns to reveal a shock of red roses. “This just arrived for you.”

Lex smiled widely. The roses were beautiful, each a piece of art in themselves. He knew instinctively this didn’t come from any ordinary florist, but he asked anyway. “Was there a card?” Lex walked over to the display, now set on his coffee table for all to admire the proclamation of love.

“No sir. Cook opened the door and there they were on the doorstep. I had security check them, but the only thing was the little Valentines Day sticker on the vase with your name on it and the “I Love You” decoration. Looks like you’ve got an admirer.” The man smiled, handing the plastic proclamation covered in glitter to him and walked away.

For a moment, Lex thought to chastise his behavior, but his excitement over this new mystery had already taken over his thoughts. Leaning forward so he could fish out his cell phone, he grabbed the small device, and began shooting off orders before the man on the receiving end could even speak. “I want a review of all the security tapes, then I want all florists in the state called if you have to, but I want to know where these came from and how no one saw them being delivered!”

Sitting back, Lex pondered the new mystery. He crossed his arms over his chest and stared at the dark wood walls. Who over did this wanted his attention and they got it. He allowed a smile to ease on to his face. He knew who he hoped had done it. Clark had been making overtures of a friendship once again and Lex had been reluctant to take him up on the offer. He doubted he could hide the feelings he had for the younger man if they became friends again.

But if it had been Clark, it would explain why the security cameras didn’t set off a perimeter alarm. Clark’s ability to move like the wind hadn’t gone unnoticed by him and though he could never get the farm boy to admit that he could, it hadn’t rendered him blind either. But how could Clark ever get flowers like that? And why did it hurt so badly to think that it might not be him?

No one had ever given him flowers on Valentines Day before and the roses in front of him were simply spectacular. Lex decided Clark was still his best bet. There had been heavy overtones of sexual sparks in their latest round of making up. Lex worried that Clark would treat him as a fad, and leave his heart at the curb. And if Clark didn’t that Lex honestly wasn’t sure he could go on.

And yet, he still hoped it was Clark. He stood walked over to his coat and left the room. Minutes later, he entered his garage full of luxury vehicles and picked out Clark’s favorite. Soon the purring of the engine was evident as Lex roared down the empty roads heading toward Smallville’s favorite hangout, the Talon. On the seat next to him lay the “I Love You” sign, Lex looked over at it, smiled and drove faster.


Lex spotted Chloe Sullivan as soon as he entered and decided that was a good place to start. Ignoring the roar of the afternoon crowd, he made his way through the bustling, garishly decorated coffeehouse. Chloe spotted him and smiled widely. “What brings you out of the castle?”

“I need to find out some information.” Lex decided it was best to play his hand directly with the astute blonde.

“About?” Chloe looked at him eagerly. He supposed he was the most interesting thing to happen in her life today.

“I received a package today and I’m trying to track down who sent it. They managed to get past my security system. And there’s no note.” Lex almost yelled for joy when he saw Chloe look at Clark with interest. She seemed to remember herself and looked around the rest of the Talon. But Lex saw it for the ruse it was. He turned to look back toward Clark but saw he was gone. He felt like the fox chasing the proverbial rabbit.

Thanking Chloe, he left the store and walked down to a nearby florist on the main street. After quizzing the owner on recent sales, quality of roses and their own arrangements Lex felt more than satisfied that his arrangement had been a custom job consisting of flowers straight from some of the best rose gardens in the world. However, the little plastic sign and sticker ruined the effect. It spoke of innocent, sincere emotions from someone as simple to not have the refined knowledge of the rich and famous.

All indicators happily seemed to point to Clark putting one or more of his mysterious abilities to work to create the arrangement. But just because he’d been flirting, Chloe looked at him first and the speediness necessary to avoid detection didn’t mean it was Clark Kent. Lex knew it was possible, but he would have to get Clark to fess up.

Lex next went to the bank and in a private discussion with one of the prettier tellers; he found out that there hadn’t been any sighting of Clark in the bank of late. So if Clark didn’t buy the flowers, how did he get them? Did he steal them? That didn’t seem like Clark at all. When he arrived back home he took pictures of the roses, scanned them into his computer and shot them off to several well-known rose enthusiasts for possible identification. If they’d been from a show, someone would know. Or if there was someone who grew a particularly beautiful red hybrid rose they’d know that too. Now it was just a matter of waiting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If he had hair he would have been tearing it out by this point. Lionel Luthor had been teasing Lex mercilessly ever since he arrived in his son’s office to find him staring off into the bouquet of flowers with a love sick grin.

“…you should have better control of your emotions Lex. What if I had been a client and saw that open weakness?”

“Remember father, I’m still ashamedly human.” Lex admitted leaning back in his work chair behind the large glass desk.

“Speak for yourself. Emotions are a weakness. I’ve done my best to try to teach you that son. Why won’t you listen?” Lionel was getting aggravated and his long hair began to more closely resemble a mane than hair. “Toss the flowers away and be done with it. Why are you wasting precious time that you could be using to better your business connections?”

“Sorry to have let you down so many times father. Heaven knows I’ve simply tried and failed to be your little soldier. I plan to use every resource I have to find out who sent those whether you approve or not.” Lex stated firmly.

Lionel shook his head. “Lex, Lex, Lex. This is not how a Luthor acts. Haven’t all those murdering wives of yours taught you nothing?”

“Since you are answering your own questions father, I find it a waste of both our time to even be discussing this with you.”

“Well, on that point I agree. However, I know you Lex. You already know who it is don’t you? And this little gesture ““

“I don’t know for sure. I only have my suspicions.” Lex turned toward the flowers so his father couldn’t see the hope in his eyes.

“Oh, this is rich. You want it to be the Kent boy don’t you?” Lionel laughed. “He’s much too young for you. Go to Metropolis and find a little rent boy if you must. I’m sure you can pay one enough to wear flannel.”

“Get out.”

“Touchy, touchy Lex. What’s your Ace in the hole, Lex? You already tried to give him a truck for saving your life and he turned it down. Are you prepared to give your ass to your little hero?” Lionel’s eyes flashed as he smelled Lex’s emotions rising to the top. “I’m sure he’ll make an adorable wife. Oh wait, we live in Kansas and oh, my, my Lex such things are illegal.”

Lex turned on his computer and booted up a particular picture, swiveled the screen so his father could see it. “I suppose this is as well.” The picture clearly showed Lionel in a delicate spot with an extremely young teenage girl. Lionel growled. Lex smirked, hit the key and quickly re-hid the picture.

Lionel looked unhappily at his son before a smile crossed his face. “I suppose I did teach you something after all.” Lex nodded. After all what more was there to say. “I hope he’s worth it Lex.” Lionel said as he exited the room.

Lex spent the rest of the afternoon and evening on the phone trying to determine the origins of the roses. Though unsuccessful, he kept hoping it was Clark behind the gesture. He fell asleep at his desk to dreams of Clark in his arms, his bed and life.

Upon waking, Lex was startled to see another bouquet of crimson roses and a small pillow under his head. He woke with a smile and thoughts of Clark instantly filled his mind. With a groan, he pulled his head from his desk, grateful for the pillow. He looked down at the gingham check pillow and could think of only one person he knew who would have such a thing.

Clark. Multiple images flew through his mind and heart. He couldn’t even stand being apart from Clark anymore. It’s love. Lex shook his head to try to get a grip on his overflowing emotions.

It was time to take Martha Kent up on her open invitation, he thought getting showered and dressed. Since it was Saturday, Clark would be home and hard at work on chores. It was a win-win situation, since a game of Watch-Clark-Flex-His-Muscles was always welcome. He blessed the brilliant sunshine which was keeping it from going below freezing. February in Kansas could get bitter.

Upon arriving at the Kent’s farm, Lex spotted Mrs. Kent getting the mail. “Good morning, Mrs. Kent. I hope you don’t mind me taking you up on that open door invitation at this hour.”

Martha Kent laughed, flipping through the letters. “Oh Lex. It’s good to see you. This hour?” She raised one eyebrow. “This is late.”

From behind Lex’s back he produced the small pillow as they started to climb the porch steps. “I believe this might be yours.” His head felt dizzy and his palms sweaty as he handed over the pillow that was the key.

“How on earth did you end up with that?” She flipped it over with something akin to amazement. “Yes, this is one of mine.” She placed in on the couch in the living room, as Lex followed her inside.

“Lex?” Clark asked coming in and seeing the man. He made his way to the living room, saw Lex and more importantly the pillow. A heated blush made its way up to his ears. Lex wanted nothing more than to charge the younger man, pin him to the nearest flat surface and make him sweaty and weak for a change. Instead he forced his focus unto Martha and like magic the burning desire ebbed.

“Clark? What’s going on?” Martha asked. She looked from one to the other with confusion. “Lex dropped off one of our pillows.” She stopped when she noticed Clark was staring at the floor and the tips of his ears had gone red.

“Mrs. Kent, if you wouldn’t mind could I talk to Clark for a few minutes?” Lex asked politely. Despite his best intentions, he now found he couldn’t take his eyes off Clark to spare the woman a glance. Clark seemed to be pretending he was a statue and had gone perfectly still. Sensing it was time for a hasty exit; Martha made a comment about putting coffee on and left the two together.

Lex summoned all his strength and confidence for what lay ahead. He had to get Clark to admit to everything. Hopefully, with some secrets added in. But more than anything he wanted to have Clark Kent in his life, lock, stock and barrel; preferably willingly. It was time.

“Clark,” Lex stood so he was standing just behind Clark. “It took an extraordinary person to make their way past my security system not once but twice; someone caring enough to tuck a pillow under my head as I slept from his own home. I’m hoping that you used the abilities you have to do exactly that. We’ve both done our share of keeping secrets Clark. But this is important. Please tell me the truth.” Lex held a breath while he waited for Clark to finally respect him enough to spare him the lies.

“I d-don’t know what you mean,” Clark mumbled out mechanically.

“Oh, now don't turn ordinary on me. ...I don't want to ever get tired of you. And you have to know that those abilities are an incredible turn on.” Lex spoke softly and watched in fascination as Clark turned to him with open eyed trust and hope.

“Turn-on?” Clark whispered.

“I also never thought a plastic “I Love You” sign would turn me into top grade mush. I hope you’re happy with yourself Clark Kent. I’ve barely gotten any work done at all.” Lex teased as he watched Clark’s face erupt into a huge, happy smile.

“Really.” Lex grinned. “Now care to tell me how you got those flowers? The truth this time for the man you supposedly love?”

Clark grinned sheepishly. “They are a special hybrid only produced on my home planet. I genetically engineered them from DNA replicas in my computer at the Fortress.”

Lex’s jaw dropped open. “Planet?”

“Krypton.” Clark admitted. “It blew up. I’m the last survivor.”

“Oh Clark,” Lex sighed. It was hard enough to be the son of Lionel Luthor, but what had Clark gone through when he realized he was all alone in the universe. “I’m sorry.”

Clark looked at Lex with stars in his eyes. “It’s okay. Thank you though. So do you want to-to..”

“There are a great many things I’d like to do Clark, especially with you. I’m afraid you’ll have to be more specific.” Lex teased glad to be back on familiar ground. He’d have to think on the whole alien thing later.

“Be my valentine?” Clark turned his back to Lex. But they were already standing so close together that it put them practically flush back to front. Lex only needed to tilt his head to see the sheer embarrassment on Clark’s face at having said such a corny line. It was really horrible and terrible and melted every last defense Lex had.

As his love for the young man burned out of control, need rolled like thunder through his body. He knew that he would always be thankful for this time in Clark’s life and would gladly take it. Lex felt his lids grow heavy with desire. But deep in his heart he knew what to say, even as his arms slid possessively around the younger man’s waist. “Forever won’t be long enough.”

Clark turned into Lex and the speed at which Lex found himself pinned against a wall was startling. Lex closed the distance between their lips, seizing Clark in a burning claiming kiss of battling tongues. A small gasp and giggle to their side caused them to stop. Lex felt all his defenses wither on the ground. There was nothing he could possibly say to defend himself. In a way it was Clark’s fault for completely stealing his heart. Lex never stood a chance.

There stood Martha with a smirk, looking with fond exasperation at Clark then the slight indentation of Lex’s body in the wallpaper. Her smirk transformed into a smile and the two men both relaxed visibly. Without saying a word, she left them alone, but her smile let them both know that she was happy.

Lex’s admiration for the woman grew for she had given them her blessing by saying nothing at all. He turned his attention back to Clark and saw the love in the man’s eyes saying he’d always be there. Like mother, like son, Lex supposed. They both said it best by saying nothing at all.
Chapter End Notes:
If you prefer me writing in this fandom, or another please drop me a line and let me know. Thank you for reading. Please review.