Sparrington Arc, Chapter 5

Trust And Honor

Epilogues and Postscript

by

The Stowaway


Disclaimer: The Mouse owns them, but I take them out and play with them. No money involved. All for fun.
Archive: Cultural Infidelities only. [Archived on Horizon with permission]

 

Epilogue 1—Saturday morning:

Jack woke first, shortly before sunrise. Disentangling himself carefully, he slipped out of bed without waking the others. He set about sorting through the garments scattered everywhere, searching for his own. He laughed silently at the disarray revealed by the growing daylight. He found his oil flask in the tumbled sheets at the foot of the bed and pocketed it.

He was almost fully dressed when he saw that James was awake and watching him. Jack winked and began hunting through the clothing again. By the time James was out of the bed, his breeches and shirt, at least, had been located for him. "Thank you, Jack," he mumbled, running ineffective hands through sleep-mussed hair and pulling on his breeches. Jack kissed him good morning and he forgot about his shirt—pulling the pirate close. They stood thus a few moments, until James started to doze and Jack nipped his ear.

"No time, love," he whispered. "Must get back to the Pearl." James sighed and let him go.

"I'll come down to the stables to see you off, then," he said, looking about for his shoes.

A sleepy voice from the bed, "Jack? James?" made them both turn.

Jack grinned. "Now see what you've done? You woke the children."

"Jack?" Elizabeth yawned and stretched, smiling up at him sleepily as he came to the head of the bed. "You're not leaving, are you?"

"I must, lass," Jack said, "if I am to make my rendezvous with the Pearl."

"Oh," she held up her arms to him. "In that case..."

"In that case, what?" He sat on the edge of the bed and smiled at her.

"Where's my kiss?"

"Greedy child." Jack laughed with her. "Here, then." He leant down and ran his tongue along her lips before kissing her deeply. She purred.

"Don't I get one, too?" Will, leaning on one elbow, watched them with a sleepy smile.

"When have I ever neglected you, boy?" Jack chuckled, reaching across Elizabeth to pull Will in reach.

Elizabeth looked on for a few moments, as they kissed above her, and then leaned up to join her mouth to theirs. Jack groaned and stood up.

"Too tempting, darlings. I will leave you two to carry on with that thought. I must be on my way. No, don't get up." He picked up his coat and hat. "James will see me off." He bowed. "And so I take my leave."

"Fair winds, Jack," Will said, "and a following sea."

"Farewell, Jack," Elizabeth blew him a kiss.

He bowed again, held the door for James, and left them with a wink.

 

***

 

Jack and James reached the stable to find the stable boys already astir. Jack's request for his horse appeared to amuse the groom who received his order and James soon saw why. Rocinante; for so Jack persisted in calling him, finding Will's comparison most apt, looked markedly better for his days of rest and extra feed. But no amount of time or care could make him anything but unprepossessing.

"Jack, wherever did you find that creature?" he asked in astonishment. Jack rolled his eyes.

"Not you, too, mate. I've had to hear enough on that score from young Will. Best you not know—let's leave it at that, shall we? Oh, and do me a favour love."

"Certainly, what is it?"

Jack held out something that glittered red and gold. "Give this back to Elizabeth, and tell her to guard her trinkets more carefully. You never know when a thief might come to visit."

"Sparrow," James chuckled, "you are outrageous."

"So you tell me."

The groom had gone back inside and Jack was preparing to mount when James cleared his throat. "Jack, a moment."

Jack hid a grin. "Yes, love?"

"If in, say, three months' time, one were wishing to set sail for the Antipodes, where might one find a ship bound thence?"

"Funny you should ask," Jack smiled, "Not that many ships headed to those parts from here, but make it six weeks and I might just know of one that would fill the bill. Bound for India, she is, and Madagascar."

James smiled back at him. "That sounds perfect to me. Where might one find this ship?"

Jack told him and clambered onto his horse. "In six weeks, then."

"Six weeks. Fair winds, Jack."

 

***

 

Some time later the Turners came downstairs, arm in arm, to find James sitting on the verandah, gazing thoughtfully out to sea. He smiled when he saw them, standing to kiss Elizabeth's hand and then her cheek.

"Jack is on his way?" she asked.

"He is," James replied, "mounted on that astonishing steed of his. He called it Rocinante and well-named."

"Did he?" Will laughed. "It was I who gave that name to the poor creature. Did he tell you where he stole it from? A knacker's!"

James laughed with them. "How very like Jack."

"Isn't it?" Elizabeth agreed. "Now, come inside to breakfast."

They served themselves and sat down to eat with a good appetite.

Elizabeth sipped her coffee. "What are your plans, James?" she asked.

"What?" He looked up, startled.

"For today, I mean. Are you still intending to return to town?"

"Ah! Yes," he said, "I must; this morning, in fact. There is a good deal of business awaiting me. Much to do."

Will caught her eye and winked.

"Oh, and before I forget," James said, fishing in his coat pocket, "Jack asked me to give you this." He held out her ruby necklace. "And to tell you to guard your trinkets more carefully."

Elizabeth took it from him and stared at it. "How on earth did he do that?" She burst out laughing, Will and James joining her. "What a consummate rogue he is, to be sure."

Shortly after breakfast, James was ready to set out. His horse had been brought round, and he stood with Will and Elizabeth on the verandah. He took both Elizabeth's hands in his and kissed them. "Thank you, my dear, for everything. I shall see you in town soon, I hope. When do you return?"

"Tomorrow," Will said, "or Monday."

James shook his hand. "Until then." And he mounted and rode briskly down the drive toward Port Royal.

Will put his arms around his wife, and she leaned back against him as they watched James's receding form.

"Elizabeth?"

"Yes, darling?"

"Tell me I didn't imagine it."

"Oh no, it was real, Will. All of it."

"Your plan worked?"

"Yes, I believe it did."

"I am glad of it." He slid one hand down across her belly. "Elizabeth..." He hesitated. "I wish to tell you something, so that there will be no doubts or misunderstandings. If there should be a child, I will cherish it as my own. And if they are indeed going away, we would have something to remember them by."

She turned to look up at him. "You are a good man, Will Turner."

 

***

 

Epilogue 2:

Six weeks later, James Norrington dined with the Turners, as was their weekly custom.

Since his visit to Somerset, to which he never referred, his spirits had been much improved. The outward change was subtle and masked from the casual observer by his customary brisk and correct military demeanor. But to Will and Elizabeth, it was clear that Commodore Norrington was a far happier man than he had been. On this night, however, he was somewhat quiet and thoughtful, albeit perfectly cheerful.

When their meal was done and the servant had withdrawn, he looked from one to the other and smiled. "Well, my dear friends, I have some news for you that may not come as all that much of a shock. Effective today, I have resigned my commission. Commodore Norrington is no more."

Elizabeth exclaimed. "James!"

"Indeed," he nodded. "It was time."

"Oh, well done, man," Will cried.

James bowed. "I have left Captain Groves in charge until Admiralty can act regarding my replacement. A copy of my resignation has been sent to your father, Elizabeth."

Her eyes were shining. "When do you leave?"

"Tomorrow morning before dawn, to catch the tide. I sleep aboard the Gull tonight. But first," he reached in his pocket and drew out a small felt bag. "I have something for you. Hold out your hand."

Elizabeth did so. Loosening the strings, he opened the mouth of the bag and upended the contents into her palm. She gasped, for lying in her hand, glowing softly in the candlelight, lay two unset black pearls and a dainty ring containing a third.

Will stared. "Aren't they..." he asked.

"Yes," James replied. He slipped the ring on Elizabeth's finger. "Have the others set for the girls. For remembrance."

Elizabeth's eyes filled with tears. She nodded. "The pin?" she whispered.

He smiled and patted the left breast of his coat. "Safe where it belongs, my dear."

They sipped their wine in silence for a time, and chatted quietly of inconsequential things; treasuring up these everyday small moments and committing them to memory.

At last, James put down his glass. "It grows late," he said, "And I have several things yet to do before I sleep."

"Of course."

Will and Elizabeth accompanied him to the door.

James turned to Elizabeth and offered his hand, but she brushed it aside and threw her arms around him. He returned her embrace warmly and she drew his head down and kissed him. "Godspeed, my dear. Give Jack our love."

Will picked up a long, narrow box of polished wood from the table. "Good thing I've had this ready. You will see it delivered, won't you?" he said. James nodded. "Tell him: no charge." Then Will, too, threw his arms around him. "God bless you, my friend."

A moment more they stood in silence. Then James picked up his hat and opened the door. "Goodbye," he said, "and thank you." He let himself out into the night.

 

***

 

Next morning, early.

"Will, are you awake?"

"Barely. Did you sleep?"

"Eventually." A sigh. "I can't believe they are really gone."

"Why so sad? Isn't this what you wanted to happen?"

"Of course it is. It was their only chance. But..."

"But what, love?"

"But the thought that we will never see either of them again makes me weep. And don't tell me I am being nonsensical, because I don't care if I am."

"Hush, love, hush now. I will miss them, too. 'Never' is a long time. Who knows what the future will bring? And, for now, we have our memories and, perhaps, something more."

"That's true."

"Come now, dry your eyes. You don't want the children to ask why Mama has been crying. And I have an early appointment before I go to the smithy—it's time we got up."

"An early appointment? With whom?"

"Your father. I've been thinking things over. I mean to ask him if he wishes my help in his business affairs. Times change, you know; only a fool fails to change with them." He chuckled. "Speechless, my dear?"

"I love you, Will Turner."

"As well you should."

 

***

 

Postscriptum:

This item appeared in the Port Royal Gazette, nine months after the Turners returned from their week at Somerset Plantation:

"On the fifteenth inst. the wife of William Turner, Esq., blacksmith and sword-maker, of this community, was safely delivered of a healthy girl child; his third daughter."

The Governor was ecstatic. "She has my eyes," he told anyone who would listen, "Green eyes run in my family, you know. And she is the sweetest child; I dote upon her already."

Elizabeth and Will smiled and let him talk.

They named her Margaret, but they called her Pearl.

 

Prev :: Next

 

Leave a Comment
(If you're commenting about a specific chapter, please mention that.)

 

Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed
them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.