Sparrington Arc, Chapter 5

Trust And Honor

Prologue

by

The Stowaway

Pairing: Will/Elizabeth, Elizabeth/Norrington, Jack/Norrington, Elizabeth/Jack and (it's the OT4, remember) Elizabeth/Norrington/Will/Jack
Rating: Overall, NC-17
Disclaimer: The Mouse owns them, but I take them out and play with them. No money involved. All for fun.
Archive: Cultural Infidelities only. [Archived on Horizon with permission]
Originally Posted: 3/08/04
Beta: Thanks and high praise go to fabu for her unerring eye and uncompromising standards, and to David for his boundless support and his meticulous proofreading in the face of my very erratic punctuation. (I could never have done this without you two. Thanks!) They did the polishing. The flaws are all my own.
Warning: Um... het? Slash? But you knew that.
Note: For everyone who read 'Nocturne' and asked for a sequel that includes Elizabeth.
Summary: Six months after 'Nocturne', James Norrington has a decision to make. Elizabeth wants to help.

 

Part 1:
Three vignettes. Pillow talk at the Turners', shortly after Elizabeth's return.

 

"Elizabeth! What are you doing?"

"Tell me you don't like it and I will stop. ...Well?"

"Don't stop."

 

***later***

 

"So, where did you learn that?"

"A book in my cousin's library. French. The illustrations were very... instructive."

"Your cousin gave you the book?"

"No, indeed! He would have been scandalized to find it in my possession. His librarian rather carelessly left the locked section open one day, whilst I was there reading by the library fire. I spent an interesting hour amongst the books deemed unsuitable for the delicate eyes of ladies."

"You shock me."

"I thought I might."

"Have you any other tricks gleaned from the Earl's salacious tomes?"

"Perhaps."

 

***

 

"Ahhhhh, that is new."

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't used to bite. No, don't stop; harder. You learnt it from Jack, I suppose."

"What? Elizabeth...!"

"What is it?"

"Why would you... What could you possibly..."

"Darling, I am not a simpleton."

"I never thought so, but..."

"Shhh, Will. When Father forwarded the letter you wrote me before sailing on the Pearl, I knew what was bound to happen; Jack being the thoroughgoing rogue that he is."

"You knew? How could you know, when I had no idea of it?"

"Call it woman's intuition. Jack can be irresistible, I imagine, when he sets out to be charming."

"You sound as if you don't mind."

"Of course I mind. You are mine, Will Turner, and I do not share very willingly. However, it's in the past, with no harm done; quite the contrary. You've come home to me, safe and sound. And you've learnt a rather delicious bit of roughness that pleases me very much. If anything, I am just a little envious."

"Envious? "

"Of course, envious. Surely you don't think you are the only one to dream of running off to play at pirates with Jack Sparrow?"

 

***later***

 

"Would you really?"

"Would I really, what, Will?"

"Run off to play at pirates with Jack Sparrow."

"He'll not give me the opportunity, so the question will never arise."

"Leaving Jack out of it, then, ...er... would you run away to have... um... adventures?"

"No, husband, I would not. There are, as galling as it is to acknowledge, certain limitations placed on a woman that are not suffered by men."

"To which limitations do you refer?"

"This one: I wish to bear no child not conceived under our roof."

"You phrase that oddly, wife."

"I phrase it precisely."

"Meaning, I suppose, that one need not run away to have... adventures?"

"You know me too well. And, after all, 'What is sauce for the goose...'"

"What am I to say this?"

"You need say nothing, dearest, for the occasion may never arrive. But I swear to you: as you are mine, I am yours; and I will do nothing behind your back, nor will I lie to you about my actions."

"Then I am content."

 

***

 

"Will?"

"Yes?"

"Do you think you will ever wish to go home to England to live?"

"I doubt it. And you?"

"No, England is not for me. Or, rather, I am not for England."

"Well, here's a change of heart. I thought you longed for home; for the wider world and good society."

"I yearned for what never was, Will; for a memory. England isn't the wider world; this is. And 'good society' is stifling. Don't laugh at me! You've no idea what it was like, this past year!"

"I'm not laughing, darling. Of course I've no idea. 'Good society' had nothing to say to the likes of my mother and me, remember."

"Oh, I know! I was made acutely aware of my so-called mésalliance, you may be sure. If it weren't for my mother's fortune, and Father's, I would have been placed beyond the pale; not received in polite company. To them, it matters not at all that you are the finest swordsmith in the Caribbean (you are, don't argue!) and a good man. Only that I am the granddaughter of an Earl and you are the son of a merchant sailor."

"Who was a good man and a good pirate."

"Oh, hush! You will make me laugh, and this is not a laughing matter. Who one IS means nothing to them, only who one's parents were and how great their wealth. I wouldn't want our daughters to grow up surrounded by such notions."

"Awkward, considering their parentage, I'd say."

"And another thing, Will. Learning is frowned upon—for women, at any rate. I was regarded as a bluestocking. Can you imagine? I, the despair of my tutors! They seemed proud to be ignorant of anything but the plot of the latest novel. I shudder to think what they would have said if they knew I help Father run Somerset—that some of the sugar in their tea was very likely grown under my supervision."

"Well, beloved, there is no law that says we must return to England. I, for one, am well suited right where we are."

 

***

 

Part 2: Six months later. Friday Evening, dinner with Governor Swann:

 

"Father, how are the improvements at Somerset progressing?"

"Not as quickly as I had hoped. The press of business has kept me here in Port Royal for some time, as you know; I have been forced to rely on reports when I would prefer that one of us see to things in person."

"Jenkinson is a good manager, and an honest man, but perhaps he has been left too much to his own devices."

"Indeed, I fear you may be correct."

"How would it be, then, if Will and I went up country next week for awhile?"

"An excellent notion, Elizabeth. I am certain you will see all set to rights, in your usual fashion."

"Thank you, Father."

"And dare I hope that you will allow Sarah-Ann and Eliza to stay with me while you are gone? They haven't been for a proper visit to their grandfather in ages."

"Of course, if you wish it; they will be overjoyed. But you mustn't spoil them too much, Father. And if they are at all troublesome, send them home with Nurse."

"Nonsense! You know I dote upon them; they are never a trouble to me. I will send the carriage, shall we say, on Monday morning? They can play at being grand ladies with their own coach and footmen."

 

Prev :: Next

 

Leave a Comment
(If you're commenting about a specific chapter, please mention that.)

 

Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed
them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.