Dead Men Tell No Tales

Chapter 4

by

E. Batagur

Full headers in Chapter 1

 

A day later, they were back on the leeward side of the southern point back to Port Royal. All during the trip, the bottle remained in a small carved wood jewelry box that Jack had stolen from some lady's boudoir. It was cushioned within blankets, and a liberal amount of salt was spread across the box's bottom. Neither Jack nor James seemed inclined to disturb the contents of the box once it had been settled and stowed in Jack's sea chest.

James made the trip to Port Royal alone this time.

 

~*~

I say, no good can come of this. Cutler Beckett's presence in my life now threatens to unravel what little happiness I have found for myself. Yet I truly feel as if I have been forced between the devil and the deep blue sea. If I do not accept this quest with Jack, we will be forced to acts of piracy for the rest of our short, unsatisfactory lives. How long will it be before we hang together, side by side at Gallows Point? I could ask our executioners to see to it that we are holding hands as we dangle as vulture's meat.

Or, I endure that repugnant little eel once more. At least he hasn't a body with which to harass me with unwanted touches. But I can still hear the leering and innuendo in the very tone of his voice and laughter. How can I keep him from telling Jack things I wish never to remember, let alone have the man I love know of? Jack has never pressed me deeply to relate my entire relationship with Beckett. It is enough for Jack to know that he was himself the first and only man to pierce me. No other has ever done so. Only my Jack.

I fear that Beckett will lead us to more questions than answers.

~*~

 

Elizabeth was waiting for James at the smithy.

"I imagine that your husband told you that we were on our way," James said.

"Yes, in fact, he did," she answered. She then handed James a letter satchel.

Upon untying and opening it, he found a letter from the Pirate Lord of the South China Sea giving leave for the Black Pearl and all her crew to safe harbor in Singapore and a guarantee that no hostile action will be taken upon Captain Sparrow or any of his designated representatives. Furthermore, the Black Pearl shall remain unmolested while she is in the domains of the South China Sea, which includes but is not limited to the open water.

The letter was signed in Elizabeth's neat and delicately curling signature. Below that was a wax stamp that held in place a small lock of Elizabeth's honey-brown hair.

"Hopefully that should secure your safe passage from pirates, at the very least."

"We are grateful," James said softly.

Elizabeth stared up into his eyes. "You really do love him."

James breathed out a soft sigh and looked away, unable to keep eye contact with Elizabeth's sincere gaze.

"It's not that I never cared for you..."

Elizabeth smiled. "I know you cared, James. Sometimes we try with all our heart to be what everyone expects us to be. But no matter how hard we try, we eventually fly our colors. Mine were for Will."

James snorted a small chuckle. "I guess I knew it before you even confessed the truth of it. What woman would ask her fiancé to rescue another man of no relation to her as a wedding gift?"

Elizabeth's smile turned contrite. "I should apologize for that. It was a slight and a manipulation taken at your heart's expense."

"No, Elizabeth, it was a first step on a path that lead us to here."

"Does he take care of you? Does he treat you well?" she asked gently.

James smiled. "I've never been good at expressing such things... as you may know. I can only tell you that he has let me see things of himself that I doubt any have seen. That must count for something.

"Most I believe are only acquainted with the rum-pot, crazy pirate. He looks at me sometimes and I have to wonder if what I'm seeing in his eyes is really a reflection of his heart or merely my own imagination. What's more he calls me by the most hideous endearment," James added with a chuckle.

"What would that be?"

"Sweetling," James said with a slight grimace.

"Oh, the horror!" Elizabeth's laughter was like the chiming of a delicate silver bell. James had to laugh with her.

Her laughter broke, and then she embraced him hard.

"Take care of each other." Her voice sounded thick with tears.

"Now, Elizabeth, William already doesn't care much for me. If he could see me now with his beautiful wife in my arms..." James teased to lighten the mood.

Elizabeth laughed. She pulled herself back to look James in the eye once more. she blotted quickly at the moisture gathered at the corner of her eyes with the edge of her shawl.

"Don't you worry about Will. He'll sulk a bit about how you treated him in the past, but he would never do you harm."

"I wonder if that is so because if he did, you would come for him just as you promised to come for Jack if he ever hurt me?"

Elizabeth stood up taller, looking confident. "Of course. I am the pirate king, after all, James. I have a reputation of ruthlessness to maintain. If I went about making idle threats all the time, how long would it be until one of those scurvy dog pirate lords challenged me?"

James laughed.

 

***

 

By dawn, the Black Pearl's nose was pointed east and away from the warm Caribbean. Jack was grudgingly awake at James' side. They were on their way.

 

***

 

The Orient

When they docked in Singapore, in the merchant's bay docks, Jack knew that eyes were on the Pearl. He carried Elizabeth's letter inside his overcoat's breast pocket.

"We are here," James stated as he looked across the deck to the wharfs where junks unloaded their fresh catches. It was before dawn and Jack was alarmingly awake. "Where shall we begin?"

"We begin by being very careful," Jack said.

"And Beckett?"

Jack did a double take over his shoulder at James with a grimace. "No need to disturb little Lord popinjay yet."

"We cannot keep avoiding him, Jack" James said. "He is here for a reason."

"We've done fine so far," Jack reassured. "Not that we needed Cutty to find the port of Singapore. However, sweetling, we have some acquaintances to look up before we just start prancing about the city. We need Elizabeth's influence here if we intend to get very far."

"I am still wholly amazed by the fact that she is the pirate lord over these seas."

Jack turned on his heels and looked at James. "You were the one who secured her succession, luv. If she had never made it off the Dutchman, who would have known she had been given Feng's piece of eight?"

James nodded in acceptance. Jack turned back about to watch the men lower the gangplank to the docks.

 

~*~

Here we are, indeed. And we must step careful. Yes, we have Elizabeth's letter, but that will only get us so far. The hordes that Feng commanded are a treacherous lot and not likely to stay true just on the word of a lord who has not bothered to come and terrorize them in a year and more. The problem with Feng is he secured loyalty too heavily with fear and money. There is something to be said for simple charm.

Aye, charm, mate. James did eventually warm up to me, after all.

~*~

 

"Elizabeth was, as always, clever on this, luv," Jack said. "She worded her missive in such a way that we may imply a bit o' menace on her part. Mayhaps some dire consequences for disobedience."

"Dire consequences?" James looked at Jack with a suspicious frown.

"Not all pirate lords are alike," Jack explained. "Elizabeth hasn't visited her domain since she took it up. We must assume that it has been business as usual from when last Feng boiled some poor insubordinate bastard's soul in oil."

"But just how are we to use her letter to imply her reach is so great?" James asked.

"It's all smoke 'n mirrors, my Jamie." Jack grinned. "You don't know how t' read pirate. It's an art of reading what is not said."

"I was under the impression that most pirates could not read at all."

"This is why your lot hasn't managed to eradicate us all these long centuries."

"ASS out of U and ME..." James muttered.

"What's that, luv?" Jack asked looking back over his shoulder.

"Nothing," James replied. "Just a lesson a tutor in my youth tried to impress upon me."

 

***

 

Jack knew the way to the bathhouse. He knew the most direct routes and easiest thoroughfares. He took none of them. Instead he led his small party from the Pearl, which included James, Gibbs and four more able-bodied sailors, on a round-about tour of most of the city that took almost the entire morning.

"Direct routes are paths to death," Jack explained to James.

"How can you be so sure?"

"I used to work for Feng, if you recall. He thought any man stupid enough to come the direct route was either suicidal or British."

James bristled slightly.

"Why must we step into the serpent's den in the first place?" James asked.

"Eyes be on us, luv. They have been since we dropped anchor. Better to visit the serpent in its den than be surprised to find it in ours."

In the alcove of the bathhouse's private steam room, Sao Feng's most trusted lieutenant Toi Ying still awaited, surrounded by his most intimidating enforcers.

"Weapons please," he said pleasantly.

Jack nodded with a quick smile and brought forth both sword and pistol. Ying took both and handed them off to be stored. Before Jack could take a step past Ying towards the entrance, Ying's hand was out again.

"Weapons please."

Jack sighed. He reached into his boot and pulled out two knives, handing them over with a sour expression. He tried once more to advance.

"Weapons please."

Jack scowled this time as he reached into his hair and pulled forth three stilettos. He pulled a bright fa biu (shuriken) from within the folds of the sash about his midsection. At last Ying smiled and bowed. Jack smiled and bowed as well. He went forward.

James was only a step behind him, and Jack turned as he heard Ying say cheerfully, "Weapons please."

His hand was out before James impeding his forward movement. Jack frowned. James only had a sword and dagger both of which Jack had acquired for him. James removed the sword and handed over the dagger as well. He attempted to advance to join Jack.

"Weapons please."

Jack's frown turned perplexed. James reached inside his coat, and around his own body with both hands. He brought them back out holding a pair of loaded and cocked pistols. James handed them over with a stern look of disappointment. Jack's mouth dropped open.

Ying smiled and bowed. James was allowed to advance.

"And where did those come from?" Jack asked James as they were led on.

"Tortuga," James answered simply. "You didn't think my scowl and bellow did all the merchandise negotiations?"

Jack nodded thoughtfully.

 

***

 

Inside the great steam room where Feng's most trusted gathered for counsel, a woman sat in Feng's chair. Her beautiful face, painted traditionally in the colors of a mourning woman, and her petite form suggested she was no more than twenty. However, her eyes looked far older. She looked like a human who had seen too much and suffered too much.

"Jack Sparrow," she said as they drew close.

James was not surprised that she knew Jack.

"Sao Linjing, darlin' t'is lovely t' see you again."

The woman did not smile. "I knew Matsu would bring you back here someday," she said. "I only hope she has let you return so that you may tell me why my older brother and my younger sisters are dead, and why my brother's domain is now lorded by a woman in the Caribbes who doesn't care to come oversee her territory?"

"Now that be a long and complicated story, Lin-luv."

James noted the nervous smile on Jack's face as he folded his hands contritely before himself. James had to wonder why Jack was so afraid of one petite woman.

"I have the rest of my life," she said flatly. "But yours will be cut short if you do not care to share."

"Now, dear Lin, is that any way to treat your ol' Jack?"

"Considering your betrayal of my trust, my treatment is kind," she replied.

"Lin, I always intended to come back to you, but the winds moved us along. I didn't foresee that the locket would carry me away from you."

"That may be true," she said. "But you are here now, and I know your intentions are not to make up to me the loss of my honor all those many years ago."

James controlled the shock that burst forth inside him and kept his expression level and bland during this exchange. Nevertheless, this lady had just admitted out loud that Jack had seduced her and left her cold. She could not have been any more than a child in her teens at the time!

"T'was unforeseeable, I swear...."

"Everything is unforeseeable where you are concerned, Jack Sparrow."

"Linjing, know this, I had nothing to do with the death of your siblings."

"I know," she said. And before another word was said two heavy dadao swords were trained on James. James looked at the two swordsmen who held blades, one to the front of his neck and the other to the back.

"This is Admiral James Norrington," Sao Linjing said, "of the East India Company, who had everything to do with my brother's death."

"Now, Lin-darlin'..." Jack coaxed in a soft, nervous tone.

"He was aboard the ship that captured my brother's ship."

"Then you ought t' know that he was also the man who made the escape of your brother's ship possible," Jack countered.

"Only after my brother was dead and that woman was named his successor." Linjing frowned as her voice grew stronger in anger.

"He had no control of that," Jack said in a desperately wheedling tone. "It was the order of Lord Beckett and the cruelty of Davy Jones..."

"My brother's men were there, Jack Sparrow!" she shouted over top of him. "They told me what they saw!"

Jack cringed at the sudden anger from the small woman.

"Then they also saw Elizabeth Swann, lord of the South China Sea, be named pirate king," James said calmly. "This woman in the Caribbes, as you put it, is the indisputable overlord of all pirates." James turned to Jack. "The letter if you please, dear Captain Sparrow?"

"Aye, the letter!" Jack pulled Elizabeth's letter from his overcoat's inner breast pocket. He handed it to one of Sao Lijing's men. The man brought it to her.

She opened it and read it while a heavy silence descended on the steamy room. James could only hope that Jack was right and there was a trick to reading like a pirate, and this woman would do just that.

"Your safe passage is now linked to my honor," Sao Linjing said in a resigned voice. The two swords lowered from James' neck. "It is my duty to obey she who was given succession by my brother."

"And you see then," Jack said carefully. "We are only passing through. Our business is with the estate of Lord Beckett..."

Sao Linjing looked at Jack and blinked. Then, without warning she began to laugh. Jack frowned.

"Jack Sparrow!" Her laughter had a bitter-sweet edge that made James feel uneasy. "That house was razed the day I learned my brother was dead!" she spat bitterly. "But it was for nothing. Lord Barwell, who also resides here under the permission and protection of the Johor-Riau... (Sriwijayan scum!) took anything and everything of value out days before."

"No love lost there," Jack muttered in James' direction.

"Perhaps that is for the best," James murmured back.

 

***

 

There wasn't much left, not even a shell. James could tell it had once been a lovely home with rounded, marble steps that might have led to a front colonnade. The remains of a graceful balustrade that had once enclosed the arcade across the front of the home was now only scorched and broken stone.

The only remaining structure one could easily identify was the charred, twisting remains of a miniature grand stair that led to nowhere. The second story was obviously ashes that had settled on the first. Even the front and back gardens hadn't escaped the blaze. The cherry trees in the back were bare and blackened on one side. The grass all about the home was brown and dead.

"This was an impressive bonfire, mate," Jack said.

"Do you think she told us the truth?" James asked. "Did this Lord Barwell clear the house prior to its destruction?"

"Linjing had no reason t' lie about that," Jack said soberly. He turned away from the one-time home of Lord Beckett.

James watched him, noting the melancholy displayed in his behavior. "This day has brought you too many bad memories," he commented.

Jack stopped walking and sighed. "Aye, sweetling. Let's go home."

James knew that home was always back to the Pearl, no matter where she was docked.

 

~*~

Jack is drinking, and when I say he is drinking, I mean he is drinking more heavily than his norm. He has taken himself down to the galley where he has surrounded himself with his crew and their merry chatter. That may be for the best.

I do not want him here for what I feel I must do.

~*~

 

James took the jewel box out of Jack's sea chest and sat it on the navigation table. Sitting at Jack's rickety, swiveling wooden chair, James pulled the key he had taken from Jack's waistcoat pocket. The jewel box's lock was only slightly rusted. It took a bit of manhandling to get the lock to turn, but at last, James had it open. He uncovered the bottle from the cloth that cushioned it.

The silver walking-stick knob rested in the bottle, bright and cheerful looking, reminding James of Beckett's infuriating confidence. Carefully, James removed the bottle from the box and stood it up on the table. He then uncorked it.

::"We are in Singapore,":: Beckett's voice was as confident as ever.

"Yes," James replied.

::"And where is your bonny lover?"::

"Who is Lord Barwell?" James fired back his own question, ignoring Beckett's.

There was a soft chuckle that issued from the bottle. ::"Truly, dear James, I'm amazed how little you know sometimes."::

"I haven't the time or patience for games," James said sternly.

::"I, on the other hand, have all the time in the world. I'm dead. What do I care?"::

"You should know that Sao Feng's sister Sao Linjing burned your house to the ground."

The bottle vibrated with laughter. ::"Oh yes! Feisty little minx, is she not? She never forgave Jack. But our silver-tongued pirate is incredibly good at the art of seduction, as we both know."::

"You haven't answered my question," James said.

::"I suppose you will be obstinate on that point. I will answer. Lord Barwell is a ranking agent of the East India Trading Company. He was once a dear friend of my father's, and he considers himself a dear friend to me as well."::

"Amazing anyone sees such in you," James said with a small taste of disgust.

::"Fear not, dear James. All friends in the company are only friends far enough for what is considered good business."::

"I am not surprised."

::"So you know of the beautiful Sao Linjing? Poor girl, like the rest of us, taken in by his charms. Her fate was my fate and will be your fate, you do know."::

"I'm sure Jack never took your innocence."

Beckett laughed again. ::"And surely he didn't take yours as well! Alas, Linjing is the most wronged of us all."::

"You set Jack on the path..."

::"I never told him how to proceed. No, pretty James, you will have to accept the fact that Jack made the choice to seduce and deceive her all on his own. I believe he would say, 'all on his onesies?' He got what he wanted from her and he departed. He got what he wanted from me and departed. Are you giving him what he wants now?"::

James grabbed up the cork and stuffed it back in to the bottle quickly. He then released the bottle, laying his hands flat on the table to help control his rage. After a long moment when his urge to hurl the bottle with all his strength against the far wall had passed, he put the bottle carefully back into the box and wrapped it back in its protective cloth. He closed the box and placed it back in the sea chest.

At least he was able to garner this much from Beckett's little disclosure: Lord Barwell was probably only out for his own welfare.

 

***

 

~*~

I, James Norrington, can honestly say that beyond a shadow of a doubt that I hate Cutler Beckett.

~*~

 

When Jack finally stumbled back into the great cabin, James was on his second full glass of rum. The rum bottle sat uncorked beside the glass.

"Drinking it straight from the bottle is far faster, sweetling," Jack slurred.

"I felt a need for a small speck of civilization," James replied. He then took another sip from his glass.

"Suit yourself," Jack said as he grabbed up the bottle and took a long gulp.

"Tomorrow, Jack," James said in a level, no-nonsense voice, "I will need to secure suitable clothing for myself, Mr. Groves and Mr. Murtogg and Mullroy. We will need to visit this Lord Barwell as soon as possible and gather intelligence."

Jack swayed for a second and then sat the bottle down. "Why those swabs, mate?"

"They know how to behave themselves as English gentlemen," James answered simply.

"Fair enough," Jack conceded.

"And before you pass out for the evening, would you mind terribly giving me a few shillings from the ship's purse to acquire some decent attire for myself and Mr. Groves We will need to look like men of some means and not scruffy sea rats."

A number of interesting expressions crossed Jack's face in those few moment, all of which James found completely unreadable. Finally, with a strange little grumble, Jack went to the cupboard where the ship's lockbox was kept.

"This Groves," Jack said as his back was turned to James. "He was a mate of yours then?"

"He was my second lieutenant," James replied. "A fine officer."

Jack turned. "Can he be trusted?" he asked in a low tone. The question took James off guard and left him speechless.

"I mean to say," Jack continued with a slight slur. "His prior service under your command notwithstanding, has he embraced the ideals of being a member of this pirate crew? Will he perform without question when you take him into the lion's den, totally prepared t' see through on what may call for deception and/or trickery?"

Jack leaned forward on the table and looked James in the eye. "After all, sweetling, you be needin' decent clothing not because you intend to take tea with his lordship before you loot and pillage."

"You are correct, Jack," James replied after he blinked back his surprise. Jack may be drunk, but he was never stupid. "I plan to deceive Lord Barwell's household. I plan to pose as a solicitor for Beckett's Caribbean interest.

"And a right tricky little plan, luv. You do me proud!" Jack smiled wolfishly.

"I imagine so, being my plan is a plan and not some clumsy spur-of-the-moment affair that moves like a thousand sudden accidents and manages, by some divine providence, to have the desired outcome."

Jack straightened quickly and frowned. "You cut me to ribbons. It's a hobby now, isn't it? Never mind that. Back to the question I asked..."

"Yes," James said somberly. "I believe Mr. Groves can be trusted."

Jack gave James a critical look that clearly said: "We will see."

Jack brought the lockbox back to the table and pulled the key from pocket in his waistcoat. He muttered something unintelligible as he fought the rusted lock.

"Now you have stopped making sense," James said.

"Which probably means I should go to bed," Jack replied as he opened the box before James.

"Take what you need, but don't think I'm not countin' it all tomorrow."

James smiled as Jack gave him his drunken version of the evil-eye. "You do trust me," James purred up to him seductively.

Jack raised a finger. "Not fair."

"Go to bed, Jack."

Jack pouted, but shuffled his way to the private cabin's door.

"I'll be in soon," James added as he heard Jack open the door. He turned to see the pirate giving him a hopeful glance.

"See what you do to me? I'm compromised beyond all reason... miserable place for a self-respecting pirate to be. And I thought the occasional altruism was bad!"

"Bed, Jack!"

"I must be mad," he muttered as he went through the door, closing it behind him. James then heard him shuffle a few step, hit some object in the darkness and curse loud and long over the whole bloody buggering affair.

James shook his head slowly with a smile. After putting aside in a leather purse what he assumed he would need to outfit his small party, he relocked the box and put it back in its cupboard. He locked the cupboard up as well and wondered why Jack had kept the padlock on that cabinet unlocked.

James pocketed the purse for the night in his overcoat, then picked up a lamp and entered the private cabin. Jack sat on the bed, rubbing a shin he probably barked on the edge of a large wooden clothes press near the bed.

Jack looked up at James, blinking in the lamp's dim light. "That bloody thing jumps out at me every time," he growled, gesturing sharply at the innocent wood box.

A number of things James could have said jumped to his mind; all of them cutting and of varying degrees of cruel. But as he looked at Jack, sitting on their bed with his lips in such a lovely little pout, James remembered what Jack said to him on the island: "My pledge to you, James Norrington: I'm coming back for you."

Jack had been true to his pledge. Jack had found a way to free him from that island purgatory and bring him back to the realm of the living. Jack had taken James with him and made James a part of his life and a member of the Pearl's crew. James briefly touched the compass still attached to his belt. He then went to Jack, sitting next to him on the bed. James leaned into him and gave him a small, soft kiss on the cheek.

"To bed, my love," James whispered.

Jack leaned in against James, his face brightened from the sad pout to a promising little smile. James smiled as well.

 

***

 

~*~

And off he goes. It's practically the wee hours and he is dressed and has roused Gibbs. Gibbs knows the markets of this fishing town. I have no doubt that they will come back triumphant.

Now I'm up. The man is getting his habits in me. I tell you, mate, I'm compromised! James is under me skin and in my brain and all I can think of sometimes. However, that is how love is suppose t' be, I am told. Doesn't make it any less distressing.

~*~

 

Jack went to the cabinet where the ship's lockbox was kept. Upon spying its condition, he spat a string of ugly curses. Even as he maligned his lover's name and lineage, he realized that James could not have known that the key to that particular cabinet padlock had been long ago lost, and not by Jack himself, but by Barbossa.

Jack took a few steps back from the cabinet and pulled his pistol. He took aim and shot the padlocked latch hinges from the wood. Held on by only one side, the bar and padlock swing free as the right cabinet door opened, whipping the smoke that still hung about it from the shot. Jack lowered his pistol with a satisfied expression. The door to the great cabin suddenly burst open. Cotton, Pintel, and another sailor who was from the new batch came rushing in.

They stopped short, looking at their captain who gave them a vexed frown.

"Beggin' your pardon, Captain Sparrow. We heard a shot and grew a bit concerned for your welfare, is all," Pintel explained nervously.

"My welfare has never been better," Jack groused. "Now get me my tea!" he then demanded.

They stood for a befuddled half second longer, then bustled back out. Jack thought he heard Pintel explain to someone beyond the door that the captain was fine and probably just out of sorts because he didn't get his morning tumble from Mister James, was all. He then heard that someone reply:

"The power of the Commodore's thighs again, aye!"

Jack's frown deepened. However, he decided to consider what he had heard later. Instead, he took the lockbox down from the broken cabinet and opened it. After a careful count, he determined that James had taken about ten shillings. What that could mean was even more disturbing. Surely, James didn't need so much for a few fine suits?

Jack closed the lockbox and put it back. He then went to the sea chest and retrieved the jewelry box. He took the bottle out from inside and, without hesitation, uncorked it. Jack then sat back and put his booted feet up on the table.

"Mornin, Cutty," he said casually.

::"Jack Sparrow up so early? I would be amazed but I have long since learned to expect the unexpected from you."::

"From you, that's a right gratifyin' compliment."

::"I imagine you would think so. I, however, did not mean it as such. So where is your pet today?"::

Jack shrugged, taking his feet down from the table. He scooted forward in his seat to regard the bottle and its contents. "I don't know what you're talkin' about, mate. Barbossa had a monkey... cursed, filthy thing it was too."

::"Don't play so naive, Jack.":: Beckett's voice held a note of smug laughter. ::"Your pet navy man, Norrington, of course... not that he is navy, or anything of consequence any longer."::

"Norrington is off mindin' ship's business," Jack replied smartly.

::"Which is to say, minding your business. It truly astounds!"::

"What's that, mate?"

::"How a scruffy piece of trash, like yourself, can hold the attention of a man of such cunning, means, and status. His father retired high in the admiralty. And did you know that his grandfather was of the landed-gentry? A minor nobleman of some sorts... maybe once a viceroy of some colony."::

"Didn't know and didn't care, t' be on the truthful side," Jack replied.

::"Of course you wouldn't,":: Beckett said smoothly. ::"What advantage could you possibly take with that knowledge?"::

Jack shrugged again and was about to answer when Beckett spoke.

::"None, for I'm confident it is James who has the advantage... over you."::

"What's that t' mean?"

::"Nothing more than: I speak with wisdom on the subject of James Norrington, garnered from my own dealings with the man. So tell me, Jack, how much are you invested into him?"::

"What could you possibly care?" Jack frowned pushing away from the desk.

::"Seriously,":: Beckett laughed. ::"I meant monetarily!"::

"Certainly this be none of your concern," Jack replied coolly.

::"I'm just speaking as a man who gave him support, dignity and position when he was at his lowest point."::

"Aye, but he gave you Jones' heart first; the very keys to the kingdom. Worth all that and much more, to be sure!"

::"Yes, but it would have been good business, the very best business, to give him his initial asking price: the letter of marque. I didn't. I gave him more. Why do you suppose, Jack?"::

"Because you wanted to paw his person, I presume."

The bottle vibrated with laughter. ::"Yes, he is very, very lovely, as you are aware. But do consider that price and payment are relative to buyer and seller. You know me, Jack. Would I buy anything at fair market value? If I could beg, barter or steal it for cheaper, don't you think I would? So now, Jack, look at your lover, ex-admiral of my fleet, entrusted into my service at the highest of offices, and wonder how much all that bought for me?"::

The implication was clear, and Jack literally saw red. His brain was so hot with fury that he barely heard the growl he made over the ringing in his ears. He had stuffed the cork back into the bottle swiftly. The silver walking stick knob clanged violently against the side of the bottle as Jack grabbed it up. Nevertheless, like a dousing in cold water, his anger broke and common sense reasserted itself before Jack could hurtle the bottle to the far wall.

The door opened as Jack stood there blinking with the bottle still cocked back in his grip ready for the throw. Mr. Pintel cowered and ducked instinctively but still advanced carrying a tin cup.

"Your tea, Captain," the man said in a small voice. "Just the way ye like it... rum and all." He slinked forward and sat the steaming cup of tea on the edge of the table and then scurried back out as quickly as he could, closing the great cabin door behind him.

Jack lowered the bottle, but didn't dare look directly at it. He put it back in the jewelry box, and covered it with its blanket cushion. He shut the box and took it back to his sea chest where he stowed it away once more. Jack then sat down at the table and took up the tin cup. He silently sipped his tea.

"Bugger," he said flatly.

 

Prev :: Next

 

Leave a Comment
(If you're commenting about a specific chapter, please mention that.)

 

Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed
them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.