Go to notes and disclaimers

A Sea Gift
by Raederle


The tide rises, the tide falls,
The twilight darkens, the curlew calls,
The little waves, with their soft, white hands,
Efface the footprints in the sands,
The day returns, but nevermore,
Returns the traveller to the shore,
And the tide rises, the tide falls.
—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The first time I saw him was on the occasion of Éomer's marriage to Lothriel. I had removed my court to Dol Amroth for the event, and had taken a moment to escape from the festivities. They would wed the next day, on Midsummer's Day, the anniversary of my own wedding. I hadn't spoken to Éomer about his nuptials, but his eyes still held the haunted look that had been in them almost since I had met him. He lost as much in the War of the Ring as Faramir and I had, but my Steward and I at least found comfort in the arms of the wives that we loved. Lothriel seems a gentle, biddable girl, and I hope the young King of Rohan can find that same solace. I hope she understands his grief as well as my Lady does my own sorrow.

The women were twittering and flitting about, and I decided to go down to the sea, to the great Bay of Belfalas where Gondor's river empties into the wide ocean. There are a series of sandbars here, blocking the river's mouth from the fury of the tides. Channels were carved through the banks to allow ships to pass, but here on the shore, the ocean was gentle and shallow, barely knee deep, the waves breaking small, even in a fierce wind.

The Sun was sliding down into the West in a clear sky, setting on a sultry Midsummer's Eve. I sat in the sand and pulled off my boots, digging with my toes under the hot upper layer to where the grains were cooler. The Sun touched the rim of the horizon and the wind died. I turned around and behind me, the Moon's silver disc was touching the other horizon as he rose full round that night.

Without the wind, the sea was almost as still as my lady's bathing tub, the waves lapping quietly at the shore, the fingers of foam finding the land languidly as the tide retreated. I stood up and walked to the water, letting the small waves tickle my feet. I stared into the Sun as she slid lower, then lowered my eyes to the water again.

He was there, between one wave and the next, and I thought my eyes were still sunstruck, for he could not be striding so easily through the shallow water of the bar toward me. I rubbed my eyes, and then looked again, but he was still there, the last dying rays of the Sun lighting his hair into a golden fire. The Sun disappeared and I saw the happy grin on his face, his sea-green eyes twinkling. He was clad as I had last seen him, layers of finery and leather over chain-mail, his fur cloak about his shoulders, but his sword and his horn hung whole at his waist. His boots splashed the shallow water as he neared me.

The sight froze me in place, struck as dumb as any beast. Tears leaked down my face, for the gift of this vision granted me the sight of the one man I loved with all my heart, the one whom I had lost forever.

But when the apparition lifted his cloak out of the salt water and made an indelicate noise, I forgot to breathe entirely.

"It's bit hot for all of this nonsense," he said as he stopped in front of me, and he shrugged the cloak off and tossed it higher on the strand. His hands moved to his leather coat, which quickly followed the cloak and then he shed his long maroon tunic, and I finally found my voice.

"What...what are you doing?"

He gave me an astounded look. "I had thought it was obvious that I am stripping off. Help with the mail."

I obeyed, assisting him as we lifted the heavy mail over his head. I gave a passing thought at the strangeness of the High King of Gondor and Arnor playing squire to a ghost, but the armor was heavy in my hands, slithering and rustling as I set it in the sand, entirely earthly.

"Much better," he said and then he smirked at me, his hands tangling in my hair and his mouth covering mine. He was cold at first, but as he deepened the kiss, his skin became warmer, as a swimmer who leaves the water loses his chill.

My breath was coming ragged from my lips by the time he let me pull away, and tears glittered in my eyes again. He was strong and sturdy under my hands, his arms around me, his lips on my skin. My body responded as if he had never left me, as if the years had rolled back and he had not died while I held him helplessly.

Hands shaking as I stroked his face, my fingers tracing the lines I found there, laugh lines around his eyes, and my voice was wobbling, "Boromir, you died, you're a...a...ghost. How can this be?"

I was rewarded with one of his mischievous grins and my throat closed over again. How I had missed that very expression, of suppressed mirth and gleeful intelligence.

"Ah, and this from the man who raised an army of the dead to defeat Gondor's enemies. If those ghosts could fight, why can I not love?"

"But they were cursed, the dead men of the Dwimorberg. You died at peace, I would stake my life on it."

"So I did, blessed I was in death, not cursed. Thus I do not come to do battle but to love you." His face was peaceful and his hands were gentle on me.

The hope that I held in my heart for all of those that I have ever loved faltered in that moment. "But why? Men are removed from the circles of Arda, this was promised us." That pledge had sustained me during the time since we had been parted.

He leaned his head on my shoulder, his hands moving to my back, tracing circles there, fingers kneading lightly at my muscles. "I am a small gift from one who has never had the troubles of Middle Earth far from his mind. He gave me leave to remain...to wait for you. I shall not go until you do. A blessing to us both, in payment for my suffering and a gift to you to sustain you in your struggles."

My arms tightened around his waist, pulling our bodies closer. "I gave you to him and he gives you back."

"For a time."

"Then, Son of Gondor, do what you came to do." I tried to make my voice commanding, the voice of the High King, but I was too overwhelmed. I whispered, "Love me...please."

"Always."

He laughed then, a clear ringing sound that carried easily in the twilight. His fingers worked the fastenings of my clothes and I was laughing too as we quickly bared each other's bodies. We spread his cloak on the cooling sand, and fell together on it, hands and lips searching, rediscovering sensitive places, stroking our desires higher and higher. His body was warm and firm, and there was nothing eldritch about his hardness as he slowly split me open, entering me and filling me. My cry of triumph was echoed by his as we moved together, our calls rising on the small breeze blowing out to sea. We finally crashed together, our orgasms ripping through us and his seed was warm within me.

The warm summer night was close around us as we lay on the beach recovering. My hands never ceased to move over his skin and his never left me. We came together many times that night, resting in between while he told me tales of the wonders of the deeps, the creatures and sights of the realm of Ulmo. That night I laughed more than I had in months, his presence at my side restoring my spirits. I did not feel any need for sleep until the Moon lay touching the western edge of the world and the night was giving way to day once again. I slid into slumber then, enfolded in his arms.

When I woke, I was alone, wrapped in my own Elven cloak. I sat staring at the heaving, living ocean, thanking Ulmo in my mind for the gift of the night. I got up and went back to my kingdom and my burdens, but with a lighter heart, feeling renewed by those short hours spent with him.

The next year on Midsummer's Eve, I went back to the sea, but he did not come. It was only on those nights when the rising full Moon was in the sky at the same time as the setting Sun on the shortest night of the year that he would come out of the sea to be with me.

And the years passed, and on those nights when Ulmo gave me his gift, Boromir would shine like a beacon out of the sea, his love a light to guide me past the rocky shoals of my weary heart. We would lay together on his cloak our bodies entwined, our spirits joined. Down through all the years, he never changed, but I hid my shame at my silvered hair and wrinkled skin. He never gave any sign that my aging body disgusted him, but always approached our trysts with the same joyful spirit that pulled me to him when I first met him, though over time his touches grew gentle rather than forceful. But my body responded to him as it always had, and I could feel again my lost youth in his arms.

~~~

I come here this year, my astronomers having assured me that the moon would rise full tonight, to wait for him, knowing that this is the last time, that this will be the last Midsummer's Eve for me in Middle Earth.

I see him there in the water, still golden, still beautiful, and he comes to me, takes me in his arms, and holds me through the night, stroking my white hair, kissing me softly, telling his tales of the sea, and his remembrances of our shared experiences, of Hobbits, and firelight, and falling leaves.

I sleep rarely now, the restlessness of old age forever making my mind unquiet. The Moon slides to the horizon before I can tell him.

"This is the last time."

"I know. And after this, new life awaits us."

"I have never stopped loving you."

"I know that, too. It has been your love that has guided me here out of the deeps."

I smile at that, realizing that we have both been a light for each other. I sit, safe in his arms, watching the Moon disappear, thanking Ulmo for this wondrous gift, until the Sun rises behind me and I am holding only seafoam.

My knees are shaking as I get to my feet, and I stare out at the endlessly forming waves. I turn and walk steadily back to the my horse, knowing we will meet again.

~~~

raederleofan@gmail.com


Title: A Sea Gift
Author: Raederle
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir
Rating: R
Summary: Ulmo gives Aragorn back something he lost
Disclaimer: don't own 'em, not for profit

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]