Citizens Against Bad Slash
   
Starting points:
who we are
recent updates
anonymity
news and views
home

Reviews:
Buffy
Highlander
Oz
Star Wars: TPM
X-Files
RPS
those 70's shows
Our recs

Writing:
Fanfic faux pas
Interviews
Tips, tricks and suggestions

Rants:
Slash-related editorials
Top 10 lists
Guest rants

Interactive:
The beta board
Discussion board
Contribute
Promote the cause
Letters to CABS
Sign the guestbook
View the guestbook
Contact

Other stuff:
Links
corrections, clarifications and general f*ck ups
Our birthday

__________


Click to subscribe to the updates list




Why bother?

I can hear you asking "why critique writing? Why interrupt the natural flow? Writing is all about individual expression. Why not just let the author run loose? All of this other stuff weighs it down. It's all about creativity."

But writing must be dissected. It must be harnessed. Why? Well, it's comparable to music. If all you want is to listen to music, fine. If you just want to listen to it in the car, or in the background at parties, or simply enjoy it for what it is, then you take what you hear at face value and enjoy it on that level.

But if you want to recreate music, learning to play it and inventing new music, you have to learn to play an instrument. You have to learn the difference between major and minor chords. You have to learn what spots on the instrument make what noises, the difference between 4/4 time and 3/4 time and how the musician created what he did. What separates your little brother's garage band from Beck? Well, you might say talent. But skill born from hours of practice is also a factor.

Writing is the same. If you simply want to read, then you don't have to worry about it. If, however, you want to create valid writing, you can't sit down and ramble and expect it to be War and Peace. You have to learn what makes good writing. You have to practice. You have to try and improve through trial, error and many lonely hours in front of the computer screen.

If you're sitting there saying "but I already do that," then nothing on this site should offend you. If you don't, consider why you're wasting your time. Because it's fun? That's valid. But be mindful of people who really do want to improve, and don't stand in their way by banning honest feedback from your list.

- Jane