Citizens Against Bad Slash
   
Starting points:
who we are
recent updates
anonymity
news and views
home

Reviews:
Buffy
Highlander
Oz
Star Wars: TPM
X-Files
RPS
those 70's shows
Our recs

Writing:
Fanfic faux pas
Interviews
Tips, tricks and suggestions

Rants:
Slash-related editorials
Top 10 lists
Guest rants

Interactive:
The beta board
Discussion board
Contribute
Promote the cause
Letters to CABS
Sign the guestbook
View the guestbook
Contact

Other stuff:
Links
Reciprocal links
CABS corrections, clarifications and general f*ck ups
Our birthday

__________


Click to subscribe to the updates list




Critiquing vs. Flaming

An overwhelming problem in fan fiction circles is that people don't know the difference between flames and constructive criticism. Most fan fiction lists shy away from real feedback not because they don't know the difference, but because usually the authors don't.

If someone makes a suggestion as to how your story can be improved, it is not a flame. Someone saying "I'd like to hear more from that character" does not mean "you suck and should never write again." Artists are not Da Vinci the first time they pick up a paintbrush. Conversely, writers are not born Hemingways. In the real world, it would be nearly inconceivable to send out a short story for publication without getting at least two - ideally three - people to read it and make suggestions for improvement. As much as your story is your baby, it ain't perfect, kid.

Just because you are not writing for publication, but instead writing for a mailing list or web site, does not mean you are exempt from improving. Writing, whether it be professionally or as a hobby, is something that can always be done better. If you are writing, you should want to make it better.

The following are standard things that are addressed when someone gives constructive feedback on your story:

1. Spelling and grammar.
It doesn't matter if you used your spell checker, or if you went through the story with a fine tooth comb. Someone is bound to find something you've overlooked. Do you want it corrected, or do you want it sitting there, sticking out like a sore thumb? I thought so.

2. Character development.
Slash and fan fiction are generally written for an audience who already knows the characters. That doesn't mean you're free to go nuts without at least some explanation. There are always ways you can get deeper into the character. There are always ways it can be improved. This doesn't mean you suck. This means someone enjoys what you are already doing with the character and would like to see more of it. Also, in fan fiction, someone might point out that a character wouldn't necessarily say or do certain things you had them say or do. You are free to disagree with them. But it would be neat to get someone else's take on it, don't you think? Fan fiction is a great way to explore the motives and actions of characters. But if you're closed to discussing it, what fun is that?

3. Sentence structure.
Sometimes your sentence will end with a preposition. It doesn't even look good on a resume. If someone points out that you are making a common error such as that, it doesn't mean you suck.

I make mistakes. You make mistakes. We all make mistakes. It is the people who are open to someone telling them, gently, when they've made mistakes that separates the men from the boys.

Any outright attack on your personally, or your writing as a whole, can be considered a flame. Examples: "You really suck at this," or "You're a jerk who can't write" or "Why don't you give up and go home?" These are never acceptable. Know the difference when someone is giving you honest suggestions for improvement and when someone is attacking you. Then respond accordingly.

A good way to criticize constructively is to give two things you liked for every one thing you didn't. Example: "I really liked your insight into Mulder, and I thought your dialogue was beautiful. However, I would have liked to see a bit more of this."

Here is a standard response to constructive criticism. Feel free to copy and paste it:

"Hi, _____. I'm thrilled that you read my story so closely. Thanks for the feedback. I'll take your suggestions into consideration."
Standard response to a flame:
"Fuck off."

Now that we've established that constructive criticism is a good thing, if you still don't want it, then what are you afraid of? Writers generally live in a world of constructive, and not so constructive, criticism. Maybe you're not vying for a spot in a top-notch anthology, but the Internet is full of writers who either do it for a living or want to. If they suspect that you want to be exempt from the standard protocol they face every day and still call yourself a writer, they will eat you alive.

Happy writing.

- Jane