What Lies Beyond

By Switch

Summary: Ben and Michael and their future. Requested by: brisync. Original Request: "Ben/Michael. Something warm and fuzzy, no AU's, no PWP."
Rating: NC-17
Archive Date: 08 February 2006
Notes: 2189 words. I'm not sure how well I do warm and fuzzy. So, I hope this is what you wanted. It's set 10 years in the future, so I guess it could be a slight AU. But it follows the show!


It had finally happened. The United States had legalized gay marriage. Only about ten years behind the rest of the modern world. All of us on Liberty Avenue partied the day the announcement came. It lasted an entire week. People were lined up around the block at the courthouse to get married. It really was quite the sight to see.

That had been four months ago. And, as hard as Ben had fought for our rights on this, I thought we would have been the first in line to have our Canadian marriage recognized in our own country. But, here we are four months later, and not a word on the subject. Not that I care, really. I know we're married and have been for almost ten years now. I just thought...I'm really not quite sure what I thought. I know I could have said something to him. And I have mentioned it in passing a few times. But he always managed to brush it aside and distract me with mind-blowing sex. It really wasn't fair.

But now isn't the time to dwell. Hunter is coming home this weekend from New York with Brian and Justin. Mel and Linds are driving in from Philadelphia. They had moved back to the states about a year after the bill had passed, but settled over in Philadelphia this time. Ben and I, with the help of Emmett, of course, were planning quite the celebration for our tenth anniversary. Everyone would be attending. We were trying to keep it small and intimate so we could hold it in our home. So far, things seemed to be going okay.

I came home that Wednesday evening and found Hunter in the living room. He was a few days early, so, needless to say, I was surprised to see him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, giving him a hug. "We weren't expecting you until the weekend."

"I managed to trade classes with another teacher so I could get home and help you guys with the planning," he explained.

"That's so sweet. I'm sure we could use the help getting everything set up in the backyard. Is Ben home?"

"Not yet. He called to say he was going to be late. One of his students needed some help with a paper. One of his female students," he emphasized.

"Thanks, smart ass. You had dinner?"

"Not yet. Let's eat!"

Even at twenty seven he was still packing the food away like a teenager. We went to the kitchen and made some stir fry. It was nice having him home; the house was too quiet when he was away. But his teaching schedule at St. Patrick's in New York was very tight. We were all very proud of Hunter, especially, Ben. Hunter had decided that he wanted to follow in Ben's footsteps and become a teacher. He chose St. Patrick's in New York so he could be more involved with his students.

"How are your students doing this semester?" I asked him as we sat down to eat.

"Not too bad," he answered. "There's this one kid, Bryan, who keeps getting into trouble. He's just not paying attention to anything or trying even. He's new this semester, though and he came from a foster home, so I imagine he has some issues to work out. He seems smart enough. I think once he get settled and makes some friends he'll be fine."

"That's good to hear," I answered.

We spent the rest of the meal catching each other up on the rest of our goings on. Ben came back just as we started to clean up and there were more hugs and discussions to be had. I let Hunter off the hook with the dishes so he could reunite with Ben. It was nice having everyone back under the same roof again.

~~~~~~~

Later that evening as we were getting ready for bed, Ben pulled me into his arms, smiling lovingly.

"Can you believe it's been ten years?" he said.

"It is pretty amazing," I answered, wrapping my arms around his neck. "Especially considering everything we've been through." We'd had a scare a few years ago where we didn't think Ben was going to make it. He was in the hospital for almost three months. It turned out to be a problem with the medication and after they switched it, he was better.

"I love you so much," he said. "I can't believe how lucky I am."

"I'm the lucky one," I told him, bringing his mouth to mine for a passionate kiss.

Our need grew and our hands removed the rest of our clothing. We fell onto the bed, kissing frantically. He laid over me, rubbing our bodies together. I moaned into this mouth, pushing our tongues together. I dragged my hands down his back and cupped his ass, pulling his groin to mine. He gasped and pulled away to lick down my neck and nibble on my collar bone.

"Make love to me," I whispered.

"With pleasure," he answered with a smile.

He reached into the bedside table and pulled out the condom and lube. He spread some on his fingers, warming it slightly before entering my body. I arched into his touch, needing more. He leaned over me again, kissing and nibbling on my neck.

"Now, Ben," I whispered. "More please."

He sheathed his cock and slowly entered me. He stayed there for a moment, just relishing in the feeling. I pulled his head back down to mine, needing to complete the connection. He began to slowly move in and out. It was amazing. We were so in sync with each other. I met every thrust of his and we were soon panting and sweating. My cock sliding between our bodies created a delicious friction. We came moments apart; I pulled him closer, trying to take him impossibly deeper. He collapsed against me, panting into my neck. I stroked from the back of his head down to his back, basking in the afterglow.

"I love you," he whispered. "You have no idea how much."

He brought his head out of the crook of my neck and looked into my eyes. I could see tears glistening there and I got choked up too. He was so much more than I ever thought I would have. Every day, I thanked whatever god saw fit to bring Ben into my life. I had a home, I had a family--things I never thought I would have. I kissed him again, pouring all my emotion into it. There were no words to convey what I was feeling.

Eventually, we pulled apart and I hissed at the loss of contact. He quickly disposed of the condom, and pulled me back into his arms. We pulled the covers over ourselves and settled in for a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~

Soon enough, the day of the party arrived. Emmett arrived early with the caterers to oversee the set-up of everything. We had cleared out almost all the furniture from the first level of our home. There were tea tables set up around the perimeter of the room for food stations. There were also small bar tables and stools interspersed for those that may need to sit. Everything was being kept simple in a black, white and gray color scheme. Not to say it was boring. There were plaids and checks and polka dots and stripes. But, Emmett being the professional that he was, everything coordinated nicely.

Ben and I were in our room getting ready. I was getting into the new suit I had bought and Ben was putting on a beautiful deep red cashmere sweater and gray pants. I was just tying my tie when I felt Ben's arms wrap around me from behind. I leaned back into him and turned my head for a kiss. He gently pressed his lips to mine and I moaned into his mouth. I pushed him away gently after a few seconds.

"Stop it," I chided him. "We have to finish getting ready."

"As long as I get to finish you later," he whispered.

I blushed at the comment and turned back to the mirror to fix the knot in my tie and make sure my hair was in place.

A few minutes later, we made our way downstairs to see my mom and Carl helping get the tables set and ready. Everything looked like it was coming together so well. To compliment the color scheme, there were mini candelabras as centerpieces on the tables. It looked so elegant. I went over to Emmett and gave him a hug.

"Em," I cried. "Everything looks so great. I can't believe it."

"Only the best for you, baby," he said.

"Great job, Emmett," Ben said, giving him a quick hug.

"Thank you, Ben. I'm glad you like what I've done."

"Congratulations, honey!" I heard my mom screech as she came over to me and Ben. I was quickly enveloped in a bone-crushing hug.

"Ma!" I yelled trying to get out of her grip.

"I'm sorry, baby," she said. "I'm just so happy for you. Ten years! I can't believe it."

She turned to Ben then and pulled him into his own breath-stealing hug.

"Thanks, Debbie," he said.

"Geeze, Ben. After all this time, what do I have to do to get you to call me mom?"

"Ask me again, I suppose," Ben replied.

We were saved by the bell at that point as the front door opened and Brian and Justin came in.

"Hi, guys!" I greeted them. "I'm so glad you could make it."

"We wouldn't have missed it," Justin replied giving us each a hug. "Right, Brian?"

"You got that right, Sunshine. Congratulations, Mikey, Professor."

"Thanks, Brian." He had definitely mellowed in the last ten years. It was nice to see him starting to settle down. He had followed Justin to New York a few years after their cancelled wedding. Things with Kinnetik were going well enough for them to open another branch there, and Brian had chosen to personally oversee it. They didn't have any plans for another wedding, as far as anyone knew, anyway. But they were happy and that's all that really mattered.

We stood around chatting and catching up for a little while. Soon enough, the hour arrived and the party started. We had about forty guests in total--friends from the community, other professors from Ben's school. It was really nice having all those people around us.

The party had been going for about an hour when Hunter started tapping a fork on his glass and chanting "Speech! Speech!" to Ben and me. I looked to Ben, who made the 'after you' gesture, so I stepped forward to a resounding round of applause.

"Welcome, everyone," I started. "I would like to start by thanking all of you for coming. It really means a lot to us that you're here. Ten years ago, Ben and I were married in Canada and it was something I never thought would happen to me. Ben," I said turning to him, "there's that saying that true love is two halves of the same heart finding each other. That's what you are to me--the other half of my heart. I thought I knew what love was. But then you came along and proved me wrong. You love so strongly that it humbles me to be the focus of that love. I love you, Ben. And I can't imagine spending my life with anyone else."

I kissed him then, needing to show him how I felt. There was applause and a few catcalls from the audience with that. We pulled apart and I heard him whisper "I love you" into my ear. Ben turned to the crowd then and offered up his own toast.

"I would like to offer my own thanks to everyone here. We're very pleased you were able to spend this day with us. Michael, I am so blessed that you came into my life. I know we haven't always had it easy. But you have stuck by me through all the good and the bad." I watched him as he slowly got down on one knee and took my hand in his. "So, I ask you, Michael Charles Novotny, will you marry me? Again?"

I was absolutely speechless. I was so happy and overwhelmed that I just started crying. I bent down and locked my lips onto his. "Yes," I whispered. "Yes, of course, I will."

He jumped up and gathered me in his arms. The guests went wild. I was so absolutely happy I couldn't believe it. Finally, Ben and I would be legally married where we lived. This was so much more than I ever thought would happen. Life couldn't get any better.


End of "What Lies Beyond" by Switch (switch842@gmail.com)

back to fiction index page