Precious Moments

By Rich


Ben:

How the hell did it happen? How did I get so goddamn lucky?

I watch with wonder as Michael walks the bedroom floor with our son to get him to go back to sleep. The sight of my life partner holding him to his bare chest makes me smile.

I remember the day we were able to take him home from the hospital just days after he was born. Ever cautious, Michael sat in the backseat, making sure the baby doesn't go "flying out of his car seat and through the windshield" as he put it.

We turned one of the rooms in the new home we'd bought into a nursery, which Danny took to instantly.

There have been problems. But by and by, and with a little, make that a LOT, of help from Granny Debbie, everything's gone surprisingly smooth.

Thank God for university daycare too. Otherwise, I'd never get to see him on the days when Michael or Deb can't watch him when the search for a sitter becomes a nightmare.

I've never felt more at peace with myself than I am right now. Certainly, I've never been more in love with anyone as I am with Michael and Daniel. Watching Michael mature as he takes on the role of "daddy" has been one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

And what can I say about my son, Daniel Victor? Watching my child come into his own person, even at only 5 months old, has been an incredibly rewarding experience. One of many in my life I will treasure forever.

Michael returns to bed after finally putting the baby down, he comes in and wraps his arms around me and kisses my chest.

"I love you, Michael," I whisper as he stirs and settles in....for now.

~~~~~~~

Michael:

"Whoo! Baby, you stink!" I love watching Ben with Danny. I knew he'd make a great dad. Watching him change the baby's diaper is always fun.

"Don't pee on me, now." Ben makes the bubbliest laugh come out of him. Hell, he does that to me too. Momo's still trying to get used to the fact that he's not the center of attention anymore now that there's someone new in the house.

I watch as Momo jumps on the changing table and sniffs Danny's head, turns around and jumps back off the table. Obviously uninterested and maybe just a little bit jealous.

After changing Danny, Ben picks him up and kisses his chubby little cheeks and cradles in his arms as he walks to the rocking chair, sits down and reads him a bedtime story.

As I hear him read "The Little Engine That Could" for the millionth time, I go thru my own nightly ritual of locking up, leaving fresh food and water for Momo, and undressing for bed. I see him shut off the light and close the baby's door, coming into the bedroom. I smile watching him strip to nothing. I hold my arms out invitingly as if asking to hold him, he complies and lies his nude, muscular body atop mine, kissing me.

"Happy Anniversary, Ben." I smile.

"Happy Anniversary, baby." He smiles back.

I reach up and shut the light off...for now.


End of "Precious Moments" by Rich -- email

back to fiction index page