Empty Nest

By Rich


Ben had seen the look on Michael's face before many times. He saw it when Ben was angry or sick, when his uncle died, when Brian got sick, when Hunter went to Pitt on a music scholarship and, two years ago, when Katie, his daughter with Melanie, went to NYU to study film.

Now it was Danny's turn to go to college, and Michael was just sick about it.

It wasn't so much that his baby, his and Ben's, was leaving. It was where he was going. Danny was accepted at Oxford to study writing, just like his dads.

Michael watched as Ben helped Danny pack. "Got everything, champ? passport?" Ben asked.

"Got it, pop." Danny showed him.

"Good man." Ben smiled.

Danny frowned as he watched Michael walk away. "Pop?"

"Yup?"

"Is dad okay?"

Ben saw Michael slumped in a chair in the living room. "He'll be fine. He just needs to adjust to your going"

"Should I talk to him?"

Ben kept his gaze on Michael. "Couldn't hurt. Give it a try."

Danny went into the living room. "Dad?"

Michael looked up and grinned. "Hey, bud. You all ready?"

"Just about. Can we talk?"

"What about? We already had that talk. Remember?" He laughed weakly.

"I think you know."

~~~~~~~

"I know what you're doing." He smiled. "The same thing you did when Katie left."

"No, I'm not!" Michael winced when he saw his son cock his head and raise his eyebrow the same way his fathers did whenever he and Katie got in trouble as kids. "Well, okay, I am. but it's not for the reason you think."

"Then why?"

Michael sighed. "It's so far away and I'll miss you. You may be eighteen, but you'll still be my little baby."

"I'll always be Pop's baby too, Dad," Danny said. "You knew this day was coming. And you know I'll call you and email you every day. I'll be here for summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas breaks, yours and pop's anniversary. It'll be like I never left."

Michael smiled. "How did you get so smart?"

Danny smiled back. "I learned from the best."

Michael pulled his son into his arms, hugging him tight. "I love you, son."

"I love you too, Dad. I'd love you more if you stopped trying to crush me to death," the teenager said, panting.

Michael let go. "I'm sorry, baby. You ok?" He smoothed Danny's shirt out.

The boy grinned. "I'll live."

Tears began to fill Michael's chocolate brown eyes. "Just be careful, please?"

"I will, Dad."

~~~~~~~

Michael stood in the now empty bedroom his little boy grew up in. He went and sat on the bed, letting the tears and the memories flow.

Michael had taught him how to read using comic books, of course, while Ben taught him how to appreciate the of the written word.

They had plenty of help along the way...

"Auntie" Em & Grandma Debbie taught him to cook while Em helped him develop a stylish sense of self.

Uncle Drew taught him how to catch a ball and coached his Pee Wee and Little League football teams.

Uncle Justin & Aunt Lindsay taught him to explore his creative and artistic mind,culminating in several school art show wins. Uncle Teddy showed him the value of a dollar and how to spend it carefully.

Aunt Melanie and Uncle Brian taught him, in their own unique ways, to respect others while respecting himself--a lesson Uncle Brian had to learn the hard way.

Ben stood leaning in the doorway of the room, burly,muscular arms across his broad chest, watching his spouse.

"You ok, baby?"

Michael looked up. "Not really." He sniffled

Ben sat next him and held him. "Shhhh. He'll be all right, mom," he said, trying to make Michael smile

"I know. I'll still worry though."

"I will too, but it's his life now. He's in control of his own future. Besides, we haven't been this alone since before Hunter came along."

"Mmm." Michael closed his eyes, letting Ben nuzzle the nape of his neck and plant tiny kisses there. "I wish Thanksgiving would get here."

Ben just snickered. The foreplay was interrupted by a ringing phone. "I'll get it." Ben bounced down the hall to the phone.
"Hello?...hey!...uh-huh...yeah, he's right here...Michael, it's for you."

Michael emerged from the room and took the phone "Hello?"

"Dad? I promised I'd call when I got here."

"Danny!" Michael's eyes lit up and his spirit brightened by the familiar voice at the other end.

Ben grinned as he watched his love talk excitedly on the phone.

When Michael finally finished, he handed the phone back to Ben.

"You think it worked?" Danny asked

"Perfectly."

"You think he'll ease up on the worrying now?"

"Not a chance, and neither will I sport. You take care of yourself, you hear."

"I will. I love you, pop"

"Love you too, champ. Bye."

"Feel better?" Ben asked, after hanging up.

"Mmmhmmmm." Michael smiled widely. "Wanna see how much?" He reached up and kissed Ben, leading him to their bedroom and closed the door.


End of "Empty Nest" by Rich -- email

back to fiction index page