Doctor, Doctor

By Rich


As they got out of the car and walked to the front door of Dr. Kiner's office, Michael suddenly froze and put Danny in Ben's arms.

"I can't do this." Michael said.

"Michael, you're not the one getting a flu shot, he is." Ben reasoned.

"Shhh, he'll hear you!" Michael hissed.

"It's time. We put this off long enough, let's go."

Michael reluctantly held the door open for Ben as he carried Danny inside. Ben put the carrier on the side of the desk and gave the receptionist his insurance card. "Good Morning, Daniel Bruckner has a 11:00 appointment with Dr. Kiner."

"Certainly sir," she made a copy of the card and handed it back to Ben after he signed in. "Dr. K. will see you in a few moments."

"Thanks." Ben smiled as he carried Danny to a nearby chair and picked him out of the carrier.

"How's daddy's big boy?" he cooed, making the baby smile.

"Nauseous." Michael chimed in.

"I was talking to our son," he laughed, looking at how green Michael had turned. "He'll be fine, dad." he kissed his head.

"Yeah, because you'll be holding him while he screams his little lungs out."

"Michael..."

"Daniel Bruckner?" Ben stood with Danny in his arms as Michael carried the carrier into the small examining room.

"There he is!" Dr. Kiner, who'd delivered Danny nearly a year earlier from a teenage mother who couldn't keep him, smiled.

"Morning, doc. How is he?" "Ready for his first flu vaccination?"

Michael sighed. "I'll wait in the waiting room." and left, carrier in hand.

"He's fine. Michael..." "I understand. parents sometimes get more nervous then the kids. Well, let's get his vitals first."

After weighing and measuring Danny, he got the syringe ready. Ben held his son tight as he saw the needle, now he was getting nervous.

Dr. Kiner applied alcohol to the area "Count of 3. one...two...three!" and poked him. Sure enough, Danny let out an ear piercing scream that shook the entire office.

Michael quickly went back to the room. There, he saw Ben comforting the child as Dr. Kiner applied a Band-Aid to the site.

"All done, sport." Ben spoke softly as Danny continued to cry. "may I have my child now?"

Ben handed Danny to Michael and started to stand up.

"Not so fast, Benjamin." Dr. Kiner interjected.

"What?"

"Now it's your turn."

Michael smiled for the first time since they arrived. " We'll be in the waiting room. Come on, kiddo."

And they went to the waiting room.


End of "Doctor, Doctor" by Rich -- email

back to fiction index page