Hush

By LadyArmand


Come on Mikey. This is bullshit.

Why, because you say so?

No, because you know how this is gonna end.

Living in the now keeps you from thinking too far ahead.

Bullshit. I know you. You've stayed up nights thinking about this.

Fine. I know how you feel about it. Can we go to Woody's now?

You're not listening to me.

I said I know how you feel.

Yeah, but you're not listening.

Did you listen to me about Justin?

It's not the same.

Sure it is.

No, it's not.

It's the same conversation, different person.

It's different, because when this ends, it's final.

You don't have to remind me Brian. I know what's coming, better then you do.

I don't want you to get hurt.

Life not worth living if you not take risk.

Don't throw that back in my face.

Why not? You thought it was cute and clever when you were hanging from a scarf. You didn't care about me being hurt then.

That's not fair.

None of this is fair. It just is what it is.

Why do this to yourself, then?

He loves me, I love him, and he makes me happy. What other reason do you need?

You know I want you to be happy, Mikey. But you're walking into this, knowing you're gonna get hurt.

What makes this any different from all the years I've followed you around?

Excuse me?

Forget it, Brian. Let's just go to Woody's. I don't want to fight with you.

No. I wanna know what the fuck you're talking about.

What I'm talking about is being willing to accept the risks inherent in loving someone - anyone.. including you - especially you, 'cause you take so fucking much.

Mikey...

You have no idea how many times you've broken my heart over the years, how many times I've had to forgive you for it, or how many times I just wanted to walk away. But I didn't - even knowing that you'd do it again, because you can't help yourself. I know you don't do it on purpose, but you do it all the same. The reason I don't walk away is because I love you. You're my best friend. I know you'd do anything for me, and over the years you have. I'm in love with Ben, Brian. That should be all any of you need to know.

I know I take you for granted sometimes. I know I've been a complete shit at times. I know you love him. I've known since that day in the park. But I'm afraid for you this time, Mikey. Even though I knew the thing with David wasn't gonna last, I knew you could handle it. But when Ben was sick and you called me, when I saw you there in the hospital . . . I don't know. It's like I wanted to grab you and run out of there. None of this should ever touch you, Mikey.

But it has. It did before I met Ben, and I can live with it. Why can't you?

Because of the look in your eyes when you thought he might die.

It's probably the same look you had in your eyes when you thought Justin might die. It's just fear settling in. First you panic, then you do what you know you have to do.

That's just it, Mikey. You don't have to do this.

There are certain things in life you just have to do. This is one of them. I can't live the rest of my life without whatever time Ben and I get to spend together. I can't, and I won't.

Mikey..

What'd you want me to say Brian? You want me to say I'm scared? Fine. I'm scared shitless, like all the fucking time. And it doesn't change a goddamn thing 'cause I can live with that. I can't live without him. And it's not pathetic, and I'm not trying to be like the lesbians, or straights. It has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with him.

I don't think its pathetic. I just think you're opening yourself up to get devastated. I don't want to see you go through that.

Then don't watch.

What?

If you can't handle it, don't watch. But if you love you me, you will.

You're playing dirty.

Oh, you mean I'm using how you feel about me against you. I wonder where I get that from?

You really love him this much?

You'll never understand how much I love him.

I think I do.

Because of Justin?

No, not Justin. Ben's one lucky bastard.

Can we go to Woody's now?

Sure...Mikey?

Yeah?

You know I had to be sure, right?

I know.

You know I'll be there?

I know.

Mikey?

Yeah.

I'm sorry.

So am I.

Ready to go?

Since forever ago.


End of "Hush" by LadyArmand -- email

back to fiction index page