What Could Be Better Than That?

By Jannine

Summary: "It's not a joke Brown Eyes, we're gonna be dads!"
Archive Date: 26 August 2006


As Michael stood in the doorway shifting from one foot to the other, unable to stand still, he listened intently to Ben on the phone and only managed to pick up a word here and there -- his thoughts were racing and his heart was thumping; abandonment, renunciation, abrogate, annul, appeal, abjuration -- 'Christ, what was Ben talking about?'

Yet another fingernail bit the dust and another bead of sweat bubbled above Michael's brow. Ben nodded a few times and a few more unfamiliar words rang out in broken sentences and still Michael was none the wiser as to what was happening.

"Yes, I understand that; yes, I will. Ahuh, yes that's right, Melanie Marcus -- ah 555 2124. Yes. Michael Charles Novotny Bruckner, no, N-O-V-O-T, yes that's correct. Yes, we've done that, everything is signed, yes she does. No, totally out of the picture. Okay, thank you. Yes, thank you. Good. Bye."

Ben hung up and Michael couldn't read anything in Ben's face; that face that usually held so much emotion, that face that spoke volumes with the flutter of an eyelid, a smile that went on forever. There was nothing there. Michael practically pounced on Ben.

"Well, what's going on? What the Hell did all of that mean?"

A smile -- now he smiled; the warm feeling returned to Michael's stomach. Ben's eyes had that cheeky glint back. "Will you calm down, relax."

"Relax! Annul, appeal, abro... abjur... whatever the fuck -- I don't understand any of it! Just tell me Ben!"

"Okay, okay. Basically, they just wanted to confirm that we had done everything we were supposed to. They confirmed that Melanie has filed all the papers and it appears... Michael, it's going ahead!"

Michael could barely squeeze the words past the giant lump forming in his throat; "Are you serious? Ben, tell me you're not kidding."

"It's not a joke Brown Eyes, we're gonna be dads!"

Tears made their way to Michael's cheeks as his eyes spilled over but he was unable to speak. Ben moved toward his husband and just enveloped the smaller man in his brawny arms and held him against his body, taking in Michael's overwhelming need to sob with joy, with love.

He stroked Michael's back lovingly and soothed his sobs, all the while fighting off his own tears. Finally Michael spoke, "Ben, I can't believe it."

"I know baby... but it's real."

The two men sat on their bed holding one another like their life suddenly held more meaning, more purpose than it possibly ever had. Neither of them wanted to let go of that moment; the pride that beamed from within, the pure love that had taken them over -- there were no words to describe that inner peace that now lived in their hearts.

Over the next few days arrangements were made and plans were put in place. They had to wait one more day to get their legal papers but then it would all be over. Ben and Michael hadn't spoken to anyone as yet; not wanting to jeopardise or compromise their positions. Only Melanie was aware of what had gone on and she was keeping the secret to herself, not even Lindsay knew.

When the doorbell sounded, Michael straightened his unwrinkled shirt for the 13th time and Ben nervously pulled at his too long hair and now wished he'd had time to have it cut. They both went for the door; Michael stood aside and let Ben open it. Melanie stood there and almost immediately a huge smile graced her usually stern face. A simple gesture ensued; she held out a bunch of white, bound papers to Ben and looked at Michael and said "Congratulations Dads."

Michael looked at the huge wad of papers and then up at Ben's face and they both smiled the same delicious smile before falling into one another's arms. That embrace sealed their fate and from here on in, their lives were complete.

Ben poured Melanie a second cup of coffee and she talked them through the legalities and made sure they understood every word, every syllable of the court papers that she had come bearing. It was important that both Ben and Michael knew exactly what the legal ramifications and stipulations were; there was no margin for error here. By the end of their chat, the guys felt overwhelmed but Melanie assured them that she was available for their questions day and night and would always be there to help them.

As they hugged on the front porch, Ben held Melanie's slight frame and said warmly "I know I don't have to tell you how much this means to Michael and me, but I need you to know that we're very aware that we couldn't have done it without you. Mel, you are our family and we love you and that can't be stated enough."

Melanie hugged Ben back and squeezed his waist, assuring him that she knew how sincere he was.

She turned to Michael, he slipped his arms around her and said "You're an amazing woman Melanie Marcus and a brilliant lawyer... but you know what -- more than that, you're a fantastic mother and role model for our daughter and I wouldn't swap that for anything. Thanks for doing this, for making me and Ben this happy. Love you."

They watched as Melanie left and then made their way inside. Ben looked around their newly decorated home and he was just taken aback with emotion. Every little corner of every room now held memories that were about to change; their lives were about to change forever and he couldn't be happier.

As though he understood what Ben was thinking, Michael too looked around at their house, their home and he smiled, "Ben, when he gets here -- this house is going to feel so much smaller... but in a totally awesome way!"

"I know baby, I feel it too."

They didn't have to wait long; the familiar thud of his bike hitting the porch; the even more familiar dropping of his satchel by the coat rack. He slipped off his coat and scarf and nearly jumped 3 feet in the air when Ben and Michael appeared out of nowhere.

"Jesus, sneak up on a guy why don't you! I should get you both those bells, like they make cats wear!"

Michael just giggled nervously.

Ben spoke, "Hunter, come inside, we need to have a chat."

"I knew it! I knew as soon as I saw you both here that something was wrong. Who died?"

They led Hunter into the living room and Michael said nonchalantly "No one died, just sit down."

Ben remained standing. "We have something to tell you Pal and although we think its brilliant news, we need to explain it to you and hear what you have to say..."

"So it's good news then. Cool. Okay, I'm listening."

Michael looked up at Ben and gave him a reassuring smile to coax him on in his efforts.

"Hunter, a few months back we asked you something at the diner and you agreed to it but then we had a few setbacks and it never looked like it could happen... but things have changed."

Hunter thought for a few long moments and he suddenly twigged, "Oh, you mean the adoption thing. Yeah well, shit happens -- don't sweat it dude. I told you guys I'm happy here anyway and I know how much you did to make it happen but ..." and then Hunter's voice trailed off as though he were thinking back on Ben's words.

'... but things have changed...'

Hunter looked at Michael and then at Ben again and said "So you're allowed to go ahead and try again?"

Michael was nodding furiously and his broad smile was hardly contained from ear to ear. All he said was "Better."

Hunter mulled it over and said "What could be better than that?"

Ben stammered and started a couple of times before reaching over to the coffee table and picking up the stack of signed papers. He held them up; Michael stood up and joined him. They both smiled at Hunter and as infectious as their smiles were, he suddenly felt very nervous.

"Will you just tell me already? What the fuck is going on?"

Ben swallowed hard and said "These papers are signed, sealed and delivered Pal... the adoption has already gone through -- it's official..."

Ben couldn't speak anymore. Michael finished the painfully obvious, "Hunter, you're our son."

They waited for a reaction from Hunter but nothing was forthcoming. A few long moments passed and Ben said shakily "Hunter, we're sorry we didn't tell you that we had applied again but we didn't want to get your hopes up if it didn't work out... that's why we didn't tell you."

Michael chimed in, "Hunter, I know this must be a shock and obviously it will take some time to sink in but..."

Hunter cut in, "Are you kidding me? This has to be the most awesome news I've ever fucking heard! I just can't believe it."

Michael "Neither could we! But it's true Hunter, Melanie did all the work and its official now -- there is no turning back."

Hunter stood up unsteadily and stood before the two weeping men in the living room, his two dads. Ben's heart leapt as tears began to spill from his son's eyes and Michael bit his own bottom lip as Hunter's began to quiver. This moment called for a group hug. Hunter embraced them and Ben and Michael each placed a protective arm around their son, drawing him in for a hug that would never ever allow Hunter to feel alone or rejected again.

It took a good 24 hours for the news to sink in properly and then Ben and Michael prepared Hunter for the surprise party. They had invited all their friends and family to celebrate their wonderful news.

As guests started arriving, not actually knowing what the occasion was, they could sense something magical. The smiles and love exuding from Ben, Michael and Hunter were all they needed to tell them that this night was to hold something special and memorable.

When Michael and Ben broke the news there wasn't a dry eye in the house; a huge round of exuberant applause rang out and hugs and kisses were thrown in every given direction. Michael presented Melanie with a huge bouquet of flowers and it was the first time Hunter was able to thank Melanie in person. He handed Melanie a small wrapped parcel and people stood back to watch her unwrap it.

As she took the silver frame from the wrapping she looked down and then scooped Hunter into her arms and said "That is beautiful, thank you so much." It was a photo of Hunter holding JR on his lap as a smaller infant and the frame read 'I love my little sister'.

Michael looked over Melanie's shoulder and beamed "Aww, that is so cute. Hunter, that's precious and JR couldn't ask for a better big brother!"

Hunter tried to smile but his heart was reacting in a different mode. He suddenly excused himself and bolted.

Ben and Michael reached Hunter's room and knocked lightly before entering. They found Hunter crying, sitting in the armchair by his window, knees drawn up.

"What is it Pal? Talk to us."

Hunter buried his blurry face into his knees and wiped away furious tears that stung his eyes.

Michael tried "Hunter, please tell us... what's wrong?"

Hunter tried to speak but his sobs were holding him back, "How can you say that..."

Michael looked at Ben, searching the wise man for answers he hoped Ben had. Ben shrugged his heavy shoulders.

"Hunter, how can we say what? I don't understand."

Hunter looked up at Michael and said "How can you say that JR couldn't ask for a better big brother. That is such bull."

Ben knelt down by Hunter's chair and said "Why is that bull? You love JR right? You would protect her from any harm, you would never lie to her, and you would help her any way you could... right?"

"But none of that matters!"

Michael tried hard to see where Hunter was coming from, he knelt on the other side of the chair and said "Hunter, every single person downstairs, our family, our friends... they all know you. They all know where you came from, what you went through and how tough it was for you... but you know what, they also know how hard you worked to pull yourself up and out of it and they damn well know how much we love and admire you and not one of them would ever think badly of you."

Ben took over, "Michael's right Pal, those people, the ones who really matter, they all took the time to get to know you and they love you just like we do -- because you're special and you're YOU. You only have one little sister and JR adores you. You're going to be a great role model for her and there isn't one person in our lives that thinks any differently."

Just then Melanie spoke from the doorway, "Ben's right Hunter. I could never ask for a better big brother for my daughter; you're an amazing young man and I know how much this adoption means to Ben and Michael and how hard they fought for it. Your friends and family love you Hunter and we're all so proud of you."

"Really?"

A unanimous "really" emanated from all 3 parties and then they all laughed. Hunter dragged his soggy sleeve across his face and a tentative smile pulled at his mouth. He thought for a few moments and then said "I want you all to know that I'm gonna make sure that I'm the best big brother, the best friend, the best babysitter and best son that you can get and I'll make you all proud of me. I promise."

Michael chucked him on the chin and said "We're already proud of you Hunter and you're already the best son Ben and I could ever hope for."

Melanie laughed and said "And I'll hold you to that best babysitter gig, don't you worry about that!"

Ben took Hunter's hand in his and said "You don't have to be any of those things Pal; you just have to be yourself -- that's all we ever ask of you. What could be better than that?"

Hugs all around and the party played on.


End of "What Could Be Better Than That?" by Jannine (greenbeltave@optusnet.com.au)

back to fiction index page