A Misconstrued Scenario...

by Jannine

Ben was appreciating Michael opening up to him, finally the thumping in his chest was abating, and the anger and worry was easing away....

The sun gleamed through the window as Michael unpacked his latest acquisitions; some new comic books, as well as a few rare, collectable ones.

He painstakingly unwrapped the protective covers and categorised his purchases.

Ready for his second cup of coffee for the morning, Michael decided to head down the block for a latte; he felt that he needed something more than his crappy instant coffee hidden away in the back room.

He was on his way out as a customer was coming in. The man smiled warmly at Michael and then it became apparent that his coffee would have to wait, he wasn't leaving just yet.

The guy looked around a little and Michael asked "Are you happy to browse, or can I help you?"

"Ah, I have a list... nephew's birthday. [The guy was looking at Michael intensely] It's Michael isn't it?"

Michael looked at him questioningly; "Have you been in here before?"

"No actually... you obviously don't remember me. We met about two and a half years ago -- the White Party?"

Michael's limbs stiffened at the sudden pang of being recognised; "Shit... and you remember me from that? Did I do something memorable?"

A smiled came across the stranger's handsome face, "Well... now that you mention it."

"What did you say your name was?"

"I didn't... Remy. You and I danced... Abba I believe. We even fooled around a little but then we got separated by friends and the last I saw of you, you were headed out with that guy... ah, Javier I think his name was. I never saw you after that."

Michael's head was swimming with memories and most of them bad. The last time he had heard that name was like 2 years ago, at David's. He had attended a dinner party to meet some of David's friends and it turned out that Javier was the partner of one of his friends. It was also revealed that evening that Javier was memorable as he had given Michael crabs at the White Party some months previously. The memories were making Michael's head hurt.

Remy laughed, "You've lost a little colour there Michael, are you okay?"

"Let's just say that night was a total disaster and I'd have been better off not to have left with that sleaze."

"Oh, I see. This is probably going to sound 'stalkerish', but I did ask around about you after that night. [Michael couldn't believe this guy had gotten so in to him that night, Michael didn't really recall him] Yeah, I heard you hooked up with some guy... a doctor I think? And then I went overseas for a few months and I left this town behind. Are you still with the good doctor?"

Michael couldn't shake his head no quickly enough; he almost did himself an injury. "No! We were together for quite a few months -- I actually left town as well, but we broke up and I came back here... as did you."

Remy smiled "Yeah, I left for work reasons but it all fell through and I came back. Have you always owned this place?"

"Nope, just a year or so. What about you Remy, what do you do now?"

"I'm a photographer, working freelance at the moment. Michael, can I interest you in a cup of coffee or something?"

Michael wasn't sure how to react; was Remy asking him as a possible dating scenario, or just out of friendship or old time's sake. "Ah... I was actually heading out for one when you came in."

"Oh, well I'm sorry I spoiled your coffee break."

"No, it's fine. Um, do you want to get the comics first, or come back?"

Remy laughed and pulled a face, "Shit, I clean forgot about my nephew's birthday! Okay, Spiderman, Superman, Green Hornet and Wonder Woman... I need all the latest on all those. Oh, and don't forget the latest edition of Rage."

Michael gathered them and rang up the register. Remy paid and Michael handed him a paper bag and his change. They headed to the door and Michael swung the cardboard sign on his door that read "Back in 20 minutes". He locked up and he walked casually down the block with Remy to the coffeehouse.


While Michael was gone, Ben happened along the store, hoping to have a quick bite with Michael in between lectures at the uni. He didn't notice the door sign initially but when he tried the door and it didn't open, he realised that Michael had locked up. There was no way of knowing how long Michael would be; Ben didn't have that much time so he decided to just leave it.

At the coffeehouse, they ordered their latte's and sat at a small table by the window. Remy watched as Michael heaped 3 sugars into his coffee and said "You like it sweet huh?"

"Yeah, I can't drink it otherwise. Just means I have to work harder at the gym."

Remy nodded in agreement, "Oh I hear that! It's a vicious cycle isn't it? You look to be in great shape though Michael so you obviously put in the hard yards."

Was he flirting with Michael? Christ, should he have accepted the offer of coffee? Did Remy expect more than just coffee?

Michael blurted out, "My boyfriend keeps me honest in my workouts; he's a fitness freak and he gets on me if I miss a session."

Remy smiled and nodded, "Oh, that's great. It's nice to have someone to workout with. So, how long have you had a workout buddy?"

Michael liked that turn of phrase; it sounded less corny than 'lover or boyfriend' or the million other words Remy could have inserted to find out that personal information. "A bit more than a year. What about you, no workout buddy?"

"Sadly, no. I was in a relationship for a couple of years but we split last Christmas. I wanted something a little more serious than he was looking for and we parted ways. We stayed friends so it's all good. What does he do -- your boyfriend?"

"Ben. He's a lecturer at Carnegie Mellon."

"Doctors, professors... you enjoy a man with a brain obviously?"

Michael smiled, "I didn't set out purposefully on that road -- it just kind of happened, but luckily for me, they were both cursed with good looks as well as brains! I lucked out."

"So did they, I'm sure."

Yep, he was definitely flirting. I just told you I was in a serious, steady relationship and you're still trying to flirt. Maybe I should end this before it goes anywhere.

"Relax Michael, I'm just toying with you. I noted the rapid introduction of Ben into the conversation when I complimented you on your amazing body; but it's just harmless flirtation."

Michael did relax after that; their cards were out on the table for all to see. Remy was obviously a flirt and Michael had been honest and upfront and that's what counted. There would be no mixed signals.

A second cup of coffee and finally Michael looked at his watch and realised they'd been there over an hour. "I really need to get back to the store."

"Yeah, I suppose I should get back to work too. I'm shooting a swimwear parade at the plaza -- oh the joy of it all!"

Michael laughed at Remy's over the top sarcasm and said "You might luck out; there might be some cute young boys in jockeys running around!"

"No such luck I'm afraid; this is a swimwear parade for girls only and they're all like 15 so they won't even attract an older male audience, except for the deviant kind... and I don't wanna even go there!"

They paid up the bill and headed outside. Some clouds were rolling in now and the air was a lot cooler. Michael pulled his jacket closed and said "Well, it was nice to meet you Remy... or I guess re-meet you... whatever! I enjoyed the talk. I hope your nephew enjoys the gift."

"I'm sure he will. Thanks Michael. I enjoyed re-meeting you too. Take care Michael."

They walked in different directions, Michael back to his store.


Later in the afternoon while Michael was doing some paperwork he looked up to see Brian coming in.

"Hey Mikey! How's tricks?"

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?"

Brian scoffed. "How's the hubby then?"

"Ben is just fine. How's your toy boy?"

"I don't know who you're talking about! I'm a free man and I plan to keep it that way."

Michael just laughed and rolled his eyes. His old friend would never admit that he had fallen for Justin in a big way but Michael couldn't wait for the day when Brian realised he was in love -- for the first time in his life. Since he had met Ben and fallen in love, Michael wanted nothing more than for all those around him to experience that joy as well.

"So why aren't you at work?"

"I have a stupid fucking campaign that I can't get a vibe for, so I took off to clear the cobwebs... and I ended up here! Come and smoke a joint with me Mikey."

"Sorry, no can do. I already took an hour off today and now I have these invoices to finish."

"Oh... did the Professor come in to take you out for lunchies?"

Michael raised his eyebrow at Brian's baby-talk and obvious sarcasm but ignored it otherwise. "No... I actually went and had coffee with someone. Hey, do you remember that creep from the White Party that gave me crabs?"

Brian pulled a face and screwed up his nose, "You went and had coffee with some fuck who gave you crabs! Have I taught you nothing Mikey?"

Michael threw a pencil at Brian and said with exasperation "No you moron, of course I didn't! His name is Remy and I met him the same night I met that crab-infested scumbag at the White Party. I don't actually remember this guy but he remembers me. He came in to buy some comics and we got talking. We went for a coffee."

"Coffee huh? I see..."

"No, there's nothing to see! Asshole. It was just coffee. He's a nice guy, we just talked. He's a photographer."

"Yeah, so anyway... come and smoke a joint!"

"I told you I can't. I'm cooking for Ben tonight and I have to get out of here early."

"What did the Professor do that he deserves that punishment?"

Michael choked on the drink he had gulped and said "Get out of here! I promise I'll come and smoke a joint with you soon... really soon."

"Well you better Mikey, I'm holding you to that. Have fun with the Prof tonight and don't forget to have the stomach pump on standby."

Michael hurled a roll of tape which clipped Brian on the shoulder as he darted for the door after his last dig at Michael's cooking prowess and Michael heard him chortling as he disappeared through the door.


Okay, so dinner didn't quite go as planned... and Michael ended up ordering pizza for Ben. But they did manage to have a nice glass or two of wine, watch a movie, snuggle on the sofa and get in some pretty serious kissing action.

While they were tidying up Ben was reminded that he stopped by the comic store earlier in the day. "You disappeared on me today. I stopped by hoping to have some lunch with you between lectures."

Michael thought back; the only time he left was when he had coffee with Remy. "Oh, I'm sorry baby. I was out for an hour or so. You should call first, to make sure I'm there."

"Yeah I know, but I was out taking a walk and decided to take the chance, no biggie. I missed you though."

Michael giggled playfully as Ben came up behind him and nuzzled at his neck. Ben held Michael against the kitchen bench with his body and kissed his lover's neck passionately, sending a shiver through Michael's entire body. Ben bit the groove between Michael's neck and shoulder and Michael purred like a satisfied kitten in his arms. Pretty soon the action moved to the bedroom.


Ben had overslept and was in a great hurry the following morning. He barely had time to kiss Michael goodbye as he dashed out the door with a piece of fruit still held in his mouth as he slipped his jacket on.

Michael enjoyed not having to rush; he was his own boss, it didn't matter if he was a few minutes late but Ben had students waiting at the other end and he hated being late. Michael cleaned up the kitchen and took last night's empty pizza box out to the trash. He grabbed his jacket and headed out.

Mid-morning Michael was serving a couple of goth-looking teenagers when he saw Remy enter the shop. Michael didn't want to appear too happy to see his friendly face, he played it cool. He continued to serve the young patrons and when they finally made their choice and left with their purchases, he smiled at Remy. "This is a surprise."

Remy held out a tall foam cup fitted with a lid and said "I brought the coffee to you; I figured you wouldn't accept another coffee date so I thought next best thing..."

"Well that's very nice of you... But Remy... I..."

"I know, Ben the lecturer at Carnegie... It's only coffee Michael."

Michael nodded, "Okay, if you say so. Thanks."

He took the coffee and moved behind his counter, putting a safe barrier between the two of them.

"I'm on my way over to my studio to pick up some proofs from yesterday's swimwear parade."

"How did it go? Any cute guys in the audience or just perverts?"

Remy laughed "Oh, you have no idea! The shoot itself went really well and I got some amazing shots...I think the client will be pleased."

Michael nodded. He wasn't sure why Remy was there. He felt a little awkward, not because Remy wasn't a nice guy or even a really nice guy, he just felt somehow that Remy had more on his mind than Michael wanted to dare imagine.

After a few moments of awkward silence Michael was relieved to hear his doorbell sound; but he was less relieved when he saw who had come in. Brian.

Brian smiled over at his friend and already he was checking out the form of the guy who was standing on this side of the counter. Not bad.

Remy turned to see who had captured Michael's attention and caught Brian giving him the once over. He smiled politely and turned back to Michael. Michael felt obliged to let it be known that the visitor was a friend; he also thought it was a way of getting Remy to leave without him having to be rude.

"Brian, hey. Ah, Remy, this is Brian Kinney -- a good friend of mine. Brian, Remy..."

"Saunders. Good to meet you Brian."

"I'm sure... So, is this coffee-date Remy?"

Michael could have leapt over the counter and super-glued Brian's mouth shut right there and then. He looked to the ceiling and said nervously "I told Brian I had coffee with an old acquaintance. Yes, this is that Remy." [How many Remy's did Brian think Michael knew exactly? Geesh]

Remy laughed because he could see that Michael felt uncomfortable, he put the poor guy out of his misery. "Well, I think I should be off. Good to see you again Michael. Take care. Brian."

Michael nodded warily and just gave a slight wave as Remy headed for the door. Brian watched him until he was out of sight on the street.

Brian licked his lips salaciously and drooled "Mm, me likey Mikey! He's fucking hot! You didn't mention that yesterday."

"Why would I? And did you have to say that -- coffee-date Remy, Jesus Brian... now he probably thinks I said that -- that we had a date!"

"Will you calm down? I think Mikey protesteth too much."

"Shut the fuck up. I just don't want him getting the wrong idea."

"So why was coffee-boy here anyway?"

Michael picked up the foam cup and held it out for Brian to draw his own conclusions.

"Oh... so now he's delivering you coffee as well. What are next, donuts over candlelight?"

Brian scoffed at his own stupid joke. Michael rolled his eyes as he usually did when it came to Brian's glibness. "There will not be any donuts, over candlelight or otherwise! In case you've forgotten, I'm in a committed relationship and I'm very happy, thank you very much."

"Oh I haven't forgotten Mikey, but ol' coffee-boy Remy, he might have other ideas. You'll have to be firm with him... if you know what I mean."

"Look, he's some guy I hooked up with at a sleazy White Party like 3 years ago or something; he sucked my dick and then I never saw him again. That's it. End of story."

"I thought you didn't remember him."

"I didn't... I don't... I'm just assuming. He told me we danced and he said we fooled around a bit -- so I assume that's about as far as we went... and we all know what happened after that!"

Brian laughed heartily "Yeah, Mikey left with Javier the Incredible Crab Man and got himself a dose!"

Michael pouted, "Don't you have to be somewhere?"

"I'm going... Look Mikey, this guy, Remy -- he obviously remembers you, he's getting off on finding you after all this time and he probably thinks he's in with a chance -- it's all in his own fantasy land of course, but I'm sure it's all harmless. He'll get tired of it, you just need to be firm, let him know exactly where you stand and whatever you do... under no circumstances... never... ever let your dick anywhere near his mouth!"

Michael crossed his arms across his chest and pursed his lips shut tight. That comment didn't even bear a retort. Brian leaned over and punched Michael playfully and said "I'm just kidding... I'm outta here. Let me know if Rimmy, sorry, Remy, stops by again. I'll take him off your hands for you!" Brian winked and slipped on his sunglasses and then he was gone.


That weekend Michael and Ben spent a fair amount of time together; they went to a club to see a band and they went dancing. They also had dinner with friends and they went for a long bicycle ride on the Sunday and for a picnic. It was the first time in ages they had had a whole weekend together without Michael working or Ben needing to grade papers or write up notes or whatever. They really enjoyed their time together.

Come Monday morning Ben was once again rushing out the door. He had stopped to give Michael a goodbye kiss and in his haste he ran out without one of his books.

Michael was about to leave for the store when his phone rang; it was Ben. "Baby, I left a book on the shelf, by the front door... do you see it?"

Michael took a quick look, "Yep."

"Okay, can you do me a favour? I need the book this afternoon for a lecture... if you take it with you; I'll run by the store in my break and grab it from you."

"Sure, I can do that."

"That would be wonderful, thank you baby. I gotta run. Bye."

Michael hung up and tucked Ben's book into his backpack. He left for the store.


Ted had dropped by to see Michael and say a quick hello whilst out looking for a gift for one of his co-workers and Justin had also stopped by with his latest batch of Rage sketches. He and Michael went through them and jotted down some new ideas before Justin left for his classes.

Michael felt his tummy gurgling which reminded him it was almost lunchtime, but he couldn't leave yet, not until Ben had been by to pick up his book. He took a lolly from the tin on his counter, that would satisfy him for a minute or two he supposed.

When the bell sounded above the shop door, Michael just assumed it would be Ben dashing in for his book. He turned to say "Hey baby...." But it wasn't Ben at all, it was Remy.

"Hey baby yourself!"

Michael felt his cheeks warm, "Sorry, I thought you were..."

"Ben? Sorry to disappoint you."

Michael just nodded, he was wary that Remy had come calling again -- it was becoming a habit, and not a habit that Michael was sure he wanted to be involved in.

Remy put a bag on Michael's counter and said "I stopped by to ask your advice, do you have a minute?"

"Sure, I guess." [What kind of advice was he looking for? Michael couldn't hazard a guess.]

Remy took out some pictures from the bag and displayed them for Michael to see. They were ads for what looked to be dress-up costumes for children.

"I took these shots over the weekend for a client and it got me thinking... because a lot of the costumes are superhero related, I wondered if you thought that the ads could run in a comic of some kind. I mean I know you don't have a say in what ads are placed obviously, but you could recommend which comics would be most suitable to approach for ad space. What do you think?"

Michael took a closer look at some of the pictures and recognised some little heroes; a red-headed Wonder Woman, a chubby little Batman and a gorgeous blue-eyed, blond Spiderman. He smiled and said "These are great. Um... well, like you said -- I have nothing to do with the content of the comics that I purchase to sell in here, apart from Rage that is... but I can sure recommend the comics that my younger readers go for... kids that might be in the age range for the costumes."

"Well, that would be a great help. Ah, what did you mean you have no control, apart from Rage?"

"I actually write Rage with a friend of mine, he does all the drawing. It's collaboration for the two of us."

"Are you serious? That's awesome! I really admire the work you guys do on Rage -- the community has been screaming out for a gay superhero for decades! Good on you Michael."

Michael felt his chest puff out proudly and he smiled sincerely at Remy and said "Well thanks, we like to think we're doing our bit for the community. So your nephew reads Rage huh?"

Remy pulled a face and said awkwardly "Um, I have a confession... the Rage was for me! I don't mind telling you that now, knowing that it's your work! I never miss an issue."

Michael nodded, "Cool. Well look, if you drop back later, I can draw up a list for you of the comics that I think might be worthwhile approaching for the ads."

"Great. Thanks Michael, I really appreciate that."

"That's fine."

They headed to the door, Michael was going to lock up for a while so he could grab some lunch -- obviously Ben wasn't coming after all. Remy pulled the door and in an instant, Michael felt lips on his. "Thanks for your help Michael, I really appreciate it."

[Remy had planted one right on Michael. What the Hell? That lasted a few seconds too long by thank-you standards and Michael felt the ever so slight tug on his bottom lip which was always a clear indication that a platonic kiss had gone on longer than one would expect.]

By the time Michael became aware of what had just transpired, he also became aware that his boyfriend, his lover, was standing in the doorway and had also witnessed the 'thank you' kiss. Remy left the store, not knowing that the guy he brushed past was Michael's Ben.

Michael quickly said "Hey... I just about gave up on you! I was gonna leave and grab some lunch."

"Well I'm glad you didn't, I really need that book for a class. Um... who was that?"

"Who?"

Ben gave Michael a look that read 'Do I really need to spell it out?' "Um, the guy who just walked out of here... but not before giving you a bit of lip action...that guy!"

Michael walked to his counter and got the book for Ben; he said as coolly as his façade would allow him "Ah, he's a customer... He came in looking for advice. I helped him with something."

Ben took the book and put it in his backpack. "Thanks. So... what kind of advice did you help him with, and why did it merit a steamy kiss in response?"

Michael sensed that Ben was over dramatising the situation now, fishing for details no doubt. "Steamy... hardly. Look, he's some guy I met like 3 years ago... I really don't even remember him but he turned up here last week looking for comics and I ended up having a coffee with him and we chatted."

"I see... So you didn't answer my question. You gave him advice, he gave you his tongue."

"No, he didn't! He's a photographer and he took some photos of kids dressed in superhero costume things and he asked me if I knew what comics he could approach to run the ads... that's it. I told him I'd make a list and he was appreciative that I wanted to help."

"Yeah, he sure was. Does he have a name?"

"Remy Saunders."

Ben just nodded, not really appreciating that Michael was telling him one minute that he didn't really remember this guy but was now reeling off his name quite readily.

"Ben... you kiss guys all the time, and so do I... we both know it doesn't mean anything. Why are you blowing this out of proportion?"

Ben's nose screwed up slightly, as it did when he was mildly pissed about something; "I just wonder where that kiss was leading if I hadn't walked in when I did."

Michael responded in an irritated tone, "Firstly, it wasn't a kiss... it was a thank-you gesture from a friendly guy. Secondly, it wasn't leading anywhere... whether you had been coming in or not. Thirdly, I don't appreciate that accusation; and lastly -- I can't believe we're even having this conversation."

Michael sat on his chair behind his counter and waited for a response from Ben, but one wasn't forthcoming. Ben walked to the door. Michael couldn't believe that Ben was just going to leave, just walk out.

"Ben?"

Ben stopped but didn't turn to face Michael. "I need to get back for my classes."

Michael let him walk out without responding.


Michael spent the next 3 hours nursing a throbbing headache; hunger pangs because he couldn't face food after Ben had walked out and an overtone of anger that Ben would really think that about him, that he was capable of doing something less than honourable. It hurt Michael but more than that, he was angry that this Remy guy was making waves for him and he didn't appreciate it one bit.

When Remy returned at 5.30 that afternoon, he was met with a cool reception by Michael.

Michael handed him a sheet of paper that he had written down a dozen or so comics that were aimed at a younger audience; "They should be what you're looking for."

"Thanks... Are you okay? You seem pissed..."

"Can I help you with anything else?"

"I don't think so. Michael, what am I missing here? You're obviously pissed at me..."

Michael wanted more than anything to just ignore this guy's questions, act like nothing happened and just hope that this guy would disappear from his life and not interject again but no such luck, his mouth opened before his brain caught up to speed; "What the hell was that kiss about earlier? Where do you get off doing that? It was really inappropriate and I didn't appreciate it..."

"Yeah, I can see that. I apologise Michael, obviously my actions were misconstrued. It won't happen again."

"Damn straight it won't. Look, you're a nice guy... but the truth is, I don't really remember you from our chance meeting at the White Party all those years ago and frankly, it doesn't interest me to revisit those times. It's a time in my life I've put behind me and I'm happy for it to stay behind me. I appreciate that you recognised me and I enjoyed our chat the other day, but this is it Remy, this is where it ends."

"Okay... hearing that message loud and clear. For the record Michael, I am a nice guy and yes I remember you from the White Party because at the time you really caught my eye and I doubt I could have forgotten you even if I'd tried and yes, I was thrilled to walk in here the other day and discover you -- I thought I'd died and gone to heaven but you made it very obvious from the get-go that you weren't interested and I heeded the warnings. I enjoyed our talk too; I was hoping we could become friends... that's where I saw this heading. I'm sorry that you think I'm some shallow asshole who was trying to stir trouble, that's not me at all. I'm sorry if the kiss was a little too much, there was no hidden agenda, no malice intended. I was appreciative of your help and I showed it. I won't bother you again Michael."

Remy pulled the door open and Michael said "Wait. Look I'm sorry this got blown way out of control; the truth is... when you kissed me earlier... Ben was walking in and saw it... he got all bent out of shape and I found myself having to defend that kiss and it pissed me clean off... I'm taking that out on you but the truth is, it really has nothing to do with you."

Remy took in what Michael was saying and nodded slowly; "I'm sorry it came to that... I had no idea. I hope you get it sorted. Look after yourself Michael."

And with that Remy Saunders was gone from Michael's life.


When Michael walked through the front door he smelled familiar aromas, Ben was cooking Thai food.

He put his stuff down and took off his jacket. He hung his keys up and poked his head into the kitchen nook. Ben was adding a splash of something exotic to his dish and said directly "Hey."

"Hey. That smells good."

"It won't be too long; I hope you're hungry... I've made a tonne of it."

"I'm starving actually, I didn't eat at lunch."

Ben knew why without having to ask; he knew that Michael couldn't eat when he was upset or angry or sad.

"Would you like some wine?"

"I think I'll wait till I eat, I think it will make me feel sick on an empty stomach."

Ben nodded in agreement. He busied himself getting things on the table and checking the bubbling pots, working around Michael who was awkwardly taking up space in the small kitchen, pondering why he and Ben were avoiding the conversation that ultimately they both knew had to happen some time this evening, one way or another.

Michael carried their wine glasses to the tables and sat down. He watched silently as Ben presented the meal and then sat opposite him across the small round table. The scent of the food was filling Michael's nostrils and his stomach was letting his head know that it was ready to be fed. He and Ben reached for the same bowl of steamed rice. Michael let it go first.

They both spoke at once; Michael managed to trip over "Ben, I think we should talk..." and Ben managed to stumble over "I think we better get this out..."

They both stopped and looked at one another. Ben gave Michael a nod that allowed him to speak first. "Ben... obviously we need to talk about what happened today. Why did you just walk out?"

Ben fiddled with his cutlery, moving his spoon one way and then another, shifting his plate around 90 degrees. "I was upset, I wanted to get out of there before I said something stupid, or something I'd regret... something I couldn't take back."

"Okay, well that was probably a good idea... but I don't understand where all the anger came from. Why did you get so annoyed?"

Ben looked up to the ceiling and took a big breath. "I was jealous Michael; I think that much is pretty obvious."

Michael couldn't help but smile, "Yeah, I got that bit... I may not be a professor, but I'm not a plank of wood either!"

"Don't do that, don't put yourself down."

"Oh, so it's okay for you to think that I might cheat on you but God forbid if I make a joke of myself." [That accusation came out a little more harshly than Michael anticipated.]


Ben looked at him and Michael knew in that instant that Ben was sorry for what he had done and said at the store earlier, for insinuating that Michael was capable of cheating on him. Ben's soulful crystal blue eyes held a grey cloud and they were tinged with brewing tears.

Michael was sorry too, for getting pissy with his comment. "I'm sorry... we were having a discussion and I got nasty. Okay, so you were jealous..."

Ben sipped his wine and slowly said "That's basically it I guess... I saw that guy lean in, I saw him lowering his mouth to yours and I saw his eyes close... to me it wasn't an innocent, nothing peck... it was a full-on kiss and I was stunned. It was the last thing I expected to witness when I came to pick up my book from you."

Michael nodded, trying to appear understanding.

"And then the guy walked out and you were just ignoring what happened and when I asked who he was you played all coy and fobbed me off. I was pissed Michael. My mind was racing; I was thinking all kinds of crazy things, like what you were hiding from me. It wasn't a nice feeling."

"I can imagine... Ben... I want to be honest. Everything I told you about Remy Saunders was true; apparently I hooked up with him a long time ago at a White Party and we got to fooling around and then I met some other guy and I left with him. Remy remembers more than I do; I didn't even know who he was when he walked into the store a few days ago but he told me about where we knew each other from and we got talking. At the time, I was heading out for a coffee and he had asked me to have coffee with him, so it seemed appropriate that we both went. We just talked. He seemed like a nice guy."

Ben was appreciating Michael opening up to him, finally the thumping in his chest was abating, and the anger and worry was easing away.

"I think I was out having coffee with him when you called in last week to have lunch with me; I didn't say anything because it really didn't seem worthwhile mentioning. He came back in the next day and he brought me a coffee and I was wary then as well but he assured me that it was just coffee and he put me at ease. He was a little flirtatious... but Ben, he knew all about you, about us... it was one of the first things I told him when we got talking."

The grey was lifting from Ben's eyes now... it was nice to hear that Michael had laid open their relationship. It meant the world to Ben.

"So the next thing I know is that Remy turned up this morning, I was surprised to see him again and he basically just asked for advice. I told him I'd help him and the next thing I know, I'm walking to the door with him, he's thanking me, then he's kissing me, then you're there... then he's gone and you and I are fighting!"

Ben nodded, getting up to speed on the happenings of the situation.

"Okay... so I fobbed off the kiss and I tip-toed around the scenario that it was a full-on kiss. I don't know why I did it; it just seemed like the thing to do at the time. I could see you were pissed and I didn't want to make it worse... but then I made you angrier because I wasn't validating your feelings... I'm sorry for that."

Ben smiled over at his lover and Michael knew then they'd be okay.

"Michael, I can't describe the pain my body felt when I saw that guy kiss you. It's not like I haven't seen guys kiss you before and probably even more passionately than he did... but it really got to me. He wasn't someone I knew; he was gorgeous, you didn't seem that fazed by the kiss and then you pretended that it was a nothing kiss -- I think that's the bit that got to me the most."

"I know... At the time I was in shock I guess, I couldn't believe he'd kissed me, like that I mean. I was really upfront with him, I didn't send him any mixed signals, and he had no reason to think I'd welcome that kind of kiss. I took him to task on it later, when he came back for his list. I really lashed out and I think I made a dick of myself actually, but I don't care. I told him that while he's probably a nice guy, that I actually didn't remember him and that he was from a time in my life that I'd rather put behind me and leave there and that it was the end of the line for him and me... that I didn't appreciate the kiss and that it wasn't welcome."

"And how did he react to that?"

"He told me that he was a nice guy, he told me that he thought he and I could be friends; he apologised for the kiss and assured me that no malice was intended in his actions and that I had misconstrued what happened. He told me that he'd been happy to catch up with me after all this time, he admitted that he had some hope but he also respected that you were in the picture; he said it would never happen again. I pretty well told him that I wasn't interested in being friends, and I'm pretty sure he's now out of the picture."

Ben nodded but he bit his bottom lip and then stretched and arched his back, trying to iron out stressful kinks that had taken over his weary shoulders. "Of course, this really isn't about him at all... is it?"

Michael smiled, "That's actually what I ended up telling him. I apologised for taking it out on him and he seemed to comprehend that. That's when he left. So, what now?"

Ben thought for a few moments and then said "Now, I look within myself and try to reaffirm my belief system in you, in me, in us... I try to push away my angry feelings and my feelings of misplaced trust issues and I try to establish why I let my emotions take me over the way I did... that's a starting place anyway."

Michael smiled warmly and said "Am I allowed to be happy that you were pissed, that you were jealous? Is that okay?"

Ben couldn't help but laugh, his sparkly eyes creased at the corners and his smiled radiated and he assured Michael that it was okay, "You can be happy -- as long as you don't ever give me a real reason to let my irrational jealousy overtake me again!"

"Deal."

"Good. Deal. Now let's eat... you must be starving."

"Mm... sure am!"

And so another chapter in the road that is Ben and Michael's love was back on track.

End of "A Misconstrued Scenario..."
Jannine: greenbeltave@optusnet.com.au
09/23/2007

back to fiction index page