One Worth Remembering

By ihailu


"It's almost 9:00. We should get going if we actually hope to get a table," Ted said. "You know, I still can't figure out why Woody's gets so crowded on Valentine's Day." Shrugging, he eyed his friends. "Ready?"

"Ugh. Valentine's Day. Don't remind me" Michael sighed. "Yeah, I'm ready though. Maybe I'll feel a bit better after a few drinks. Has anyone seen my jacket?"

Handing Michael the object in question, Emmett cocked his head to the side and smiled sympathetically. "Oh, Sweetie, I'm so sorry Ben isn't going to be here with you tonight. I know Ted and I aren't going to be very good substitutes, but I hope us dragging you out will help cheer you up at least for a little while."

"Thanks, Em. I'll be okay though. Beside, it's just another day right? One specifically designed as an evil money making scheme, where most people are only romantic because they're supposed to be." Michael said, attempting to disguise the hurt evident in his eyes.

As the trio made their way to Ted's car, Emmett swore when he realized he'd forgotten his own jacket in grabbing Michael's.

Handing his keys over, Michael sighed when Ted asked his lover to call Eddie and check to make sure things were running smoothly after some earlier problems with one of the cameras.

"What?" Ted asked innocently when he met Michael's glare. "I'm sorry! I left my cell at home and those problems I was having earlier still have the potential to cost me a lot of money. Don't I have a right to be concerned?"

"Yeah, ya do, but wouldn't it make more sense to be concerned while you were actually by a phone? Especially if whatever it was is that much of an issue? What if Emmett had actually remembered his coat?"

"Well, you try staying focused on the important things with Emmett fidgeting in your lap." Ted beamed, still in awe of his new found happiness.

"Um, how about no? Now I love you, and I love Emmett, but that'd be a little... Uh, where the hell is Emmett anyway?" Michael wondered aloud.

"I'm sure he'll be back in a minute. You know Emmett, and I'm sure you've witnessed his gift of gab."

"Oh, I've witnessed it all right. I've also been a victim" Michael giggled as they continued to Ted's car.

~~~~~~~

"Why is it that when you're alone, everywhere you turn, you see this," Michael asked as he gestured towards the affectionate couples surrounding him. "And would you two please knock it off already?" He said laughing as he turned to see Ted and Emmett pull themselves out of a kiss. "It's bad enough I'm seeing it everywhere else around me. You're not helping me feel any better you know."

"First of all, Michael," Ted said, good-naturedly, "you are not alone. And second, it's Valentine's Day. Why do you seem so appalled that people are celebrating? Isn't that what people normally do?"

Emmett chimed in. "Yeah, even Brian's found a way to celebrate."

Rolling his eyes, Michael snorted "Yeah. But somehow I don't think going to the baths counts as a traditional Valentine's Day celebration."

Taking a swig of his beer, Michael watched the loving gazes his friends passed and heard the whispered declarations of love, and sighed. "I'm sorry if I'm ruining your night. It's just... I've never had a Valentine's Day where I wasn't at least partially miserable. And this being my first with Ben, I really wanted to make it special. Instead he's two thousand miles away at some fucking workshop. He hasn't even called me" he said, looking at his watch. "And it's almost 11:00. He knew how I felt about not spending this occasion together. I mean, I know he had to go, and I'm not mad at him for that. I just wished he'd call."

"First of all Michael, you are NOT ruining our night. We called and asked you if you'd come out with us. Ok?" Not getting an answer prompted Emmett lean in closer to Michael, meeting his gaze. "I said, Ok?" After a response consisting of a small nod and attempted smile Emmett continued. "I'm sure Ben is feeling the exact same way. California is the last place he wants to be today."

"Emmett's right. And don't forget there's a three hour time difference. If Ben is attending that party the conference hosts are throwing, I'm sure he just hasn't had time yet." Ted hated that he was lying to one of his closest friends, especially knowing how upset Michael was, but he wasn't about to betray Ben's secret. He almost laughed wondering how tortured Emmett must be feeling.

"Yeah. I'm sure he'll talk to you tonight." Michael looked down at the beer label he was mutilating, allowing Emmett to wink at Ted, giving him a quick but devilish grin. "And besides, you've already gotten through almost a week. Now you only have 9 days until he's home. You can celebrate then!"

"I know." Michael sighed dejectedly.

Sliding closer to Michael, Emmett draped his arm around his friend's sagging shoulders and kissed the top of his head. "C'mon sweetie, let's get you away from this love nest. I'm sure you'll start feeling better once you're out of here.

~~~~~~~

After saying goodnight to his friends, Michael headed towards his apartment. As he approached, he noticed a lavender rose taped to the door. Full of curiosity, he removed it and read the attached note. His heart danced when he recognized Ben's handwriting.

A lavender rose signifies enhancement and love at first sight.

Michael,

From the first moment I saw you, you have made the world look brighter, my heart beat quicker, and you have made me feel more then I have ever thought possible. In the instant that out eyes met, I felt the love that would be ours...

"So this was why Ted was so determined to be out of here by 9:00. And why Emmett took an eternity in getting back downstairs. I knew he was up to no good."

Hoping to finally reach Ben and express his appreciation for the gift, Michael dropped his keys onto the table beside the door and reached for his cell phone. His plan was instantly forgotten when he noticed another rose sitting on the table.

An orange rose signifies enthusiasm, desire and fascination.

...I still remember everything with amazing clarity. I couldn't believe a man like you existed, and I wanted nothing more then to get to know everything about you. That desire was a big part of why I asked you to lecture my class. It was an excuse to see you again. But the passion that poured out of you when you spoke, and the things you said, had me completely captivated and left me in awe. I felt even stronger about how much I wanted you in my life...

Michael couldn't help the smile that played across his lips. After taking his jacket off, he headed towards the kitchen in search of a vase. "I can't believe Ben went through all this trouble. Ted and Emmett too, he thought in amazement. Turning on the light, he stood in disbelief. This time, it was a white rose.

A white rose signifies purity, innocence, humility, youthfulness, innocence, and charm.

...When I went to see you in your store after telling you I was positive, I was amazed that you were more concerned about appearing thrown then were about my revelation. I will never forget the adorable, shy nod of your head when I asked you if you were still interested. Your eyes, your smile, your caring nature... I couldn't believe how perfect everything was. Or at least seemed to be...

Remembering back, Michael cringed as he wondered if he'd ever stop feeling guilty about that. He knew it was only natural to be overwhelmed after seeing the rows of pills in Ben's medicine cabinet, but he couldn't help wondering what would have happened if he hadn't spent so much time listening to other people tell him what they thought he should do. He had almost lost Ben because of it. Grateful that he hadn't and grateful for the stronger person he had become because of his lover, Michael let a smile reclaim his lips.

Now figuring he'd find more, Michael ventured into the living room where his thoughts were confirmed when he found another rose.

A yellow rose signifies Joy, gladness, friendship, delight, and the promise of a new beginning.

...I was honestly never angry with you, or the situation. More then anything, I felt a major sense of emptiness. Even in that short amount of time before you left, your impact on my life was huge. That day I saw you waiting outside the apartment, I wanted nothing more than to take you in my arms. But the fear of having you leave again was more then I could handle. You were so persistent though, and so damn adorable. My heart melted when you got up on that stage to sing. I couldn't believe you did that for me. How could I not take a chance on a new start? You found a way to break though my fears and make me happy...

Michael beamed. He knew his actions obviously had an impact on Ben, but he never knew just how big that impact was. He wished more then anything that he could take Ben into his arms and tell him he loved him. "Nine days" he reminded himself and sighed. "Nine days. Well, at least its better then the two weeks we started out with."

Continuing into their office, Michael located the next part of Ben's letter.

A red rose signifies love, beauty, courage, respect, and passion.

...I know it took a lot of courage for you to do all that you did to get me back into your life. It still amazes me that you went through of that...for me. Looking back now, I understand your initial fear when you were confronted with the first real glimpse of that aspect of my life... After all, I went through those same feelings when you finally realized it didn't matter and asked me to pick up where we left off. We moved on though. All that matters is that we both got past our fears. I can't tell you how much I admire your inner strength...

As his throat started to close up, Michael couldn't help being amazed at how his Valentine's Day was turning out. "Only Ben can be over 2,000 miles away and still give me the most incredible Valentine's Day I've ever had." Shaking his head, he continued into the bedroom, flipping on the light as he entered. He froze in shock at the sight before him.

A soft glow from a red light bulb illuminated the room, and the bed was completely covered in rose petals matching the colors of flowers he held in his hand. Regaining his ability to think, Michael gently sat on the edge of the bed to read the end of Ben's letter.

50 roses, signifies unconditional love

...I know we've had our share of bumps; you finding out about the white party, my hospital stay, my plans to go to Tibet. But you stayed by my side through out everything, and our relationship is that much stronger because of it. I also know we'll see more difficult times ahead. Together though, I have no doubt we'll make it through. You are a beautiful man, Michael Novotny, and you've brought me more happiness then you will ever know. Although mere words will never be enough, know that I wake up everyday thankful for the gift of you. Your love is more then I could ever ask for.

Happy Valentine's Day, baby. I love you!

All my love,
Ben

After he finished reading the letter Michael continued to stare at the paper, completely overwhelmed. Happy tears streamed down his face as he thought about how incredibly lucky he felt. "I can't believe he would do something like this for me. Even in my desire of a romantic Valentine's Day, I never would have expected anything like this. I have to call him...." As he got up to grab his phone, Michael's eyes widened in disbelief.

Ben smiled as he answered Michael's attempted questions. "When I realized Valentine's Day fell on a Friday and I had the weekend free from workshops, I decided to skip tonight's Dinner party so I could be here with you. After some planning with Ted, Emmett, and Vic, we managed to figure out a way for me get home from the airport and make sure you were out of the house. I knew how much you wanted to spend this evening together. I did too. And I wanted to make it one worth remembering."

"I... I don't know what to say. It's so amazing. All of it. I can't believe you're standing here. Only... "Michael looked down, blushing, "My gift for you is still sitting in the store. I didn't know you'd be back today, and I was hiding from you and now I feel really bad. I'm sorry. I--"

Ben quieted Michael with a passionate kiss. "You don't think those rose petals are only on the bed for decoration, do you? "That," he smirked, "was for both of us." Wrapping his arms around Michael, Ben pulled his lover towards the bed.


End of "One Worth Remembering" by ihailu -- email

back to fiction index page