Stand By Me

By gtoy


Part 1

Michael was busy taking inventory in the storeroom when Vic came knocking on the door.

"Come in."

"Hey, Michael, are you busy?"

"Pretty much. What's up?"

"There's... um, someone here to see you."

"Who is it?" Michael asked without looking away from his work.

"It's Hank." Michael froze when he heard the familiar name. For a few seconds, he didn't know what to do.

Sensing his nephew's hesitation,Vic approached him and gently squeezed his shoulder. "Look, I'll tell him you're busy,"

"No! No, I'll... I'll talk to him. Just tell him I'll be out in a few minutes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. And Vic...?"

"Yes, Michael?"

"I need to be alone with him."

Vic nodded and gave a faint smile. "I'll be at the diner if you need me."

Michael closed his eyes and sank against his chair. It had been two years since the last time he had seen Hank. The day he broke up with David.

Suddenly all the memories that he had been trying to bury for the past two years started flooding back into his mind. Some were sweet but most were bad. He took a deep breath and stood up. His hands were shaking when he squeezed and turned the doorknob.

Hank was flipping through the latest issue of "Rage" when he heard Michael approaching him.

"Hey, stranger,"

"Michael! Hi!" He quickly put the comic book on the rack. Then he turned around to face Michael, still unsure what to expect from him. For a moment, they were looking at each other awkwardly.

Michael finally broke the silence, "So, how are you?" Gosh, you're TALL!"

"I'm fine. I'm eighteen now. My mother called it a growth spurt, whatever that means."

"Eighteen? Wow! So, big guy,are you in college now?"

"Yup. UCLA. It's spring break so I thought I'd come by and see how you were doing."

"Oh, I'm doing great! Come. Let's sit down."

Hank was relieved to see Michael was still warm and friendly just like he used to be.

"Wow! You really own this place?" He looked around the store in awe.

"Uh-huh. It's all mine. What do you think?"

"It's great. I like what you did to this place. God, I remember the first time you brought me here. You were trying to impress me." Hank grinned sheepishly.

"I didn't know what else to do. You were whining like a baby..."

"No, I was not!"

"You were too! And you were complaining about everything. So I decided to bring you here. And just like that..." Michael snapped his fingers. "I was your new best friend!" they both laughed at the memory of their first meeting. And Michael was right. After that moment, Hank became his new best friend. They made the visit to the store a weekly ritual. And whenever he was with Hank, he felt like a school kid again.

Once again, They were both laughing and talking, just like old times.

"Michael, are you angry with me?" Hank's voice suddenly turned serious.

"What? No! Why would I be angry with you?" Michael was caught by surprise with Hank's questions.

"Well, it's just that, you never came visit me after you and my dad..." He hesitated to finish his sentence. Michael looked away and tried to block his tears from coming down. The memories were too painful for him.

"Hank, I..." Michael tried to say something but nothing came out from his mouth. He quickly wiped his tears. Taking a deep breath, he continued.

"What happened between your dad and I... It... it was complicated. When he told me what he did, I just lost it. I became somebody else. I shut everyone out of my life. It had nothing to do with you."

"Then why didn't you come and see me? You didn't return my calls or my emails and you refused to see me!"

"Hank, I'm sorry. I told you, I wasn't myself. I... I'm so sorry." Michael said regretfully.

"No, Michael. I'm sorry."

"Hank, don't..."

"No! I want to say it. I'm so sorry for what my dad did to you. He had no right! He was lucky to have you but he threw it all away! He's an asshole!"

"Hey, don't say that! He may have been a crappy boyfriend to me but he was a good father to you. Besides, I've already forgiven him."

"What?" Suddenly Hank stood up and started pacing.

"You forgive him? Shit! I don't believe this. Michael, how could you forgive him?" Hank screamed from the top of his lungs. "He ruined your life! He fucking infected you!"

Michael couldn't believe the anger that came out from the young boy. "Hank, look around you. I wouldn't have any of this if I was still with your dad. He didn't ruin anything."

"Bullshit! Look at me straight in the eyes and tell me this, Michael, how many boyfriends did you have after you broke up with my dad, huh?"

"That is none of your business..."

"Ever slept with anyone since my dad, Michael?" Hank sighed slowly when there was no answer. "That's what I thought. He really fucked up your life."

Michael turned around and went behind the counter.

"I think you should leave now, Hank."

"Look, I'm sorry if I hurt you, Michael. I just want us to be friends like we used to. I miss my best pal."

"Yeah, well... I have a new life now. So I'm sorry too. Now, please. Leave me alone!" Michael didn't know why he said that but he knew he had hurt Hank's feelings. He didn't even dare to look at the boy's face. He knew he would break down right then and there. Hank turned around slowly and left.

As soon as he heard the door closed and he knew he was alone, Michael quickly locked the door and put up the CLOSED sign. He leaned against it and began to cry.

Part 2

About an hour later, Vic returned from the diner. He was surprised to see that the store was closed. He tried to call Michael but there was no answer. He figured maybe Michael had decided to close up early and had gone home, so he took a cab there to look for him.

Meanwhile, Michael was still inside the store. After Hank left, he locked the door and switched off all the lights and hid behind the counter. He had been sitting on the cold floor in the dark for hours. Vic and Brian had been calling him, but he decided to ignore them and let the machine answer their calls.

"Hello, Michael? Are you there? It's me, Vic. I came back to look for you about three hours ago but you weren't there. Is everything okay? Anyway, if you get this message, call me. Oh! Don't worry about your mom. I won't say anything about Hank. Bye."

"Yo, Mikey! Where the fuck are you? Vic called and told me that your 'former stepson' dropped by. What did he want from you? Mikey, are you there? Mikey? Pick up the fucking phone. I know you're there! Mikey? Shit! Call me."

Michael shook his head. He didn't mean to make everybody worry about him, but right now, he just wanted to be alone. After almost a year, he thought he had finally put the past behind him and moved on with his life. At least that was what he had been telling himself. But the truth was, he hadn't moved at all. He was still standing on the same spot. A spot where his fear and anger still clouded his mind. Slowly he had built a defensive wall around himself so nobody could get in. Not even his best friend, Brian.

He still remembered that fateful day as if it was just yesterday. It was their third anniversary and he was waiting for David to come home so they could go out and celebrate. Instead, David came home drunk. They started arguing until finally David broke down and confessed to Michael that he had been going to the bath house to fuck everytime they had a fight. And that very day, David got the blood test result that he took a week earlier. and it came back positive.

Michael was too stunned to say anything. He remembered packing his clothes and going straight to the door.

"I don't want to see your face, ever again!" That was the only thing he said before he left. And he didn't even say goodbye to Hank. He vaguely remembered getting on a plane back to Pittsburgh, going straight to his mom's house, and locking himself in his old bedroom. Nobody knew why he came back until the following day when David showed up at the doorstep begging for Michael's forgiveness. But it was too late. The damage had been done. Michael was betrayed by someone he really loved and trusted the most.

When Debbie finally found out what was going on, She went berserk. She took a swing at David and broke his nose. Luckily, Vic was there to stop her before she did something more drastic. And when David stepped out of the house, Brian was waiting for him in his jeep and tried to run him over. But Brian was too drunk to drive properly and missed David by inches.

It took Debbie two months to convince Michael to take the HIV test. His worst nightmare came true when it came back positive. He sank into deep depression and even tried to take his own life by swallowing sleeping pills. Fortunately, Michael had his family and friends who wouldn't give up on him and helped him to get back on his feet.

After ten months, Michael finally decided that he'd had enough. He quit his job at the Big Q and, with a little help from Brian, he managed to buy a store from his old pal Buzzy and make his life long dream came true - to own a comic book store.

Everything seemed to be back to normal, but the whole experience had scarred him for life. He was not the same Michael anymore. Gone was his warm and sunny personality. He had stopped hanging out with his friends and would spend most of his time in his store, alone.

Even his friendship with Brian had changed. They were still friends, but the intimacy was gone. They had stopped kissing and hugging. Not even a peck on the cheek. The only thing that they still did was talk. And, no matter what happened, Brian was always there for his 'Mikey' and always would be.

The sound of Brian's voice yelling on the answering machine brought Michael back to present time.

"Pick up the goddamn phone, you asshole! I know you're there. Mikey! You son of a..."

"Hello, Brian." Michael answered the phone calmly.

"Mikey, where the fuck were you? You were driving us crazy! Are you okay?" Brian asked frantically.

Michael was used to all the cussing and swearing. It was Brian's way of saying that he cared. "Yes, MOTHER, I'm okay."

"Fuck you, Mikey! I've been trying to reach you all day. Where the hell were you?"

"I've been here all day. I just needed to be alone."

"Yeah, so what else is new. What did the fucker's son want from you?"

"His name is Hank, Brian! And he came by to see how I was doing."

"Oh, really? That was disappointing. I thought he came by to tell you that dear ol' daddy is dead."

"Fuck you, Brian!" Michael slammed the phone angrily. He was ready to leave when the phone rang again.

"So, he's not dead?"

"Back off, Brian!" Michael warned his best friend.

"Then tell me why did he came to see you?"

"I told you. He came to see me."

"And...?"

"And that was it. We talked for a while and then he left."

"What about your ex-flame?"

"What about him?"

"Oh, please! Don't tell me his name never came up?"

Michael tried to avoid the topic. "It didn't"

"Mikey, you're such a terrible liar. You know that?"

"I know. Now, can we please drop the subject? It's getting late."

"All right. If you say so. Just let me know if Dr. Jekyll drops by."

"Why? What are you going to do to him?"

"Well, I've still got my jeep."

"Oh, no! You are not going to run him over with your jeep again. You were lucky he didn't press any charges!"

"No. He was lucky I didn't kill him then."

"Yeah, yeah. Brian Kinney is my hero. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to go home now."

"Mikey, are you gonna be okay?"

"I'll be fine, Brian. Stop worrying about me!"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Okay. Good night. I love you, Mikey."

"Yeah, bye." Brian hung up the phone and leaned his back against the wall. 'I love you too, Brian.' Those were the words that Brian missed the most. Michael had stopped saying it two years ago. He missed the old Michael. And he missed the closeness they used to have.

"Hey, are you going to stand there and leave me lying here all night?"

Brian turned his gaze towards the blond twink on his bed. He was stroking his hard cock, desperately trying to get Brian's attention. Brian picked up the trick's discarded clothes and threw them at his face.

"What the fuck...?"

"Get lost!"

"What?"

"What? Are you deaf? I said get lost!" Brian sauntered to the living room and lit a cigarette.

The trick still had a confuse look on his face. "You're kicking me out? But I just gave you the best blowjob! We were just getting started!"

"Hey, twinkie! You have exactly thirty seconds to get dressed and get the fuck out of here or you'll be forced to go home buck naked!"

"I don't fucking believe this!" The trick got off the bed and got dress hastily. He didn't even bother to put on his underwear and shoved it into his pocket instead.

"And it was hardly a blowjob. I've had better!" Brian managed to throw the last sarcastic comment before he closed the door.

"Fuck you!"

Brian laughed when he heard the man cuss behind the closed door. He switched off the lights and sat on the couch in the dark.

Part 3

Michael turned the keys and opened the front door slowly. He was relieved to see the living room was dark. He figured maybe his mom was already asleep so he tiptoed to his bedroom, trying not to wake her.

"Michael Charles Novotny!"

His heart almost stopped when he heard somebody called his name in the dark.

"Jesus Christ, Ma, you scared the shit out of me!"

"Do you know what time it is now?"

Michael squinted his eyes, trying to take a look at his watch in the dark. "It's almost midnight, and I don't think I'm breaking any curfew since I'm THIRTY-FIVE NOW!"

"Don't give me that crap, smart ass! You missed your appointment with Dr. Hayes, today. Where the hell were you?"

"Shit!" Michael smacked his forehead with his palm. He was too occupied with Hank this afternoon. He had completely forgotten his appointment with his doctor.

"You were suppose to meet her at 3 o'clock this afternoon. Where were you?" Debbie demanded from her son.

"I was at the store."

"Really? So how come you didn't answer the phone when Vic tried to call you?"

Michael tried to reason with his mom. "I was...busy." Everytime she interrogated him like this, he could never say anything more than five words to him.

Debbie started to raise her voice. "Too busy to answer the phone?"

"I had a guest, okay!" Michael yelled.

"Who? The Queen of England? Damn it, Michael! You should've at least called back. I was worried sick..."

"It was Hank, Ma."

"Hank?"

"Yeah, Hank. Hank Cameron? You do remember him, don't you?"

Debbie's anger subsided when he heard the name. "Yeah, of course I remember him. So, how is he?"

"Oh, he's fine. He's grown up now. And so tall!"

"So, how old is he now, sixteen? seventeen?"

"He's eighteen, Ma. And he's in college now."

"So why did he come?"

"He came to see how I was doing."

"So that asshole isn't dead yet?"

"Ma!"

"I swear to you, if Vic didn't stop me that day, I could have done some serious damage to that cocksucker!"

"Jesus! Do you and Brian have some kind of psychic connection or something? That's exactly what he said about David to me!"

"I'm sorry, Michael, but I don't have anything nice to say about him. He cheated on you and give you that... dreadful disease!"

"Thank you, Ma. I know what David did to me. You don't have to remind me every thirty seconds."

"Michael..." Debbie sat closer to her son and caressed his cheek slowly. Michael took a deep breath and stood up.

"Look, I've had a long day. I'm tired and sleepy so I'm just going to take a hot shower and go to bed. Can't we talk about this another time?"

"All right, sweetheart. Just promise me you'll go and see Dr. Hayes tomorrow. She said something about a new medication for you, so please don't forget okay?"

"Okay, Ma. Good night."

"Good night, honey. Sleep tight." Michael gave his mother a good night kiss and went to his bedroom.

"Is everything okay?" Debbie didn't realize her brother had been listening to their conversation the whole time.

"Yeah, everything's fine. I'm just worry too much."

"He's a big boy now. He can take care of himself, Sis."

"I'm sure he can. And you! Thank you very much for not telling me about Hank!"

"I'm sorry Deb. I just thought maybe you should hear it from Michael."

"Like I said, Vic. Thank you very much." Debbie smiled at her brother went to bed.

"Anytime, Sis. Anytime."

~~~~~~~

It was a fairly quiet morning at the store. Michael took the opportunity to discuss the idea for the next issue of "Rage" with his partner, Justin. It was only the sixth issue, but "Rage" had really took the comic book world by storm. When the first issue came out, there was a lot of critisism, but, slowly, people started rooting for "Rage." and Surprisingly, judging from the fan mails they received, most of their loyal fans were straight men. Apparently, they thought that Michael's ideas and Justin's artwork were brilliant and groundbreaking.

"Okay, how about Mr. Cheesehead?"

Michael tried hard not to laugh at Justin's idea.

"So, what is his super power? Oozing cheese through his nose?"

"Ha-ha! And your idea of Dr. Jekyllin was soooo original!"

"Justin, this is ridiculous. We have to come out with a new villain fast. We're already behind schedule!"

"Hey, I'm just the illustrator here, remember? You're the brain behind all this. YOU think of something."

Justin continued staring at the blank sketch book while Michael flipped aimlessly through a couple of comic books on the counter. Suddenly, Michael closed the book and sat up.

"Dr. Grimm!"

"What?"

"Dr. Grimm. An evil chiropractor. He developed a deadly virus and infected Zephyr with it. And it was up to Rage and his boyfriend, JT, to think of a way to save Zephyr!"

"Or better yet, why don't we create a new character for Zephyr. Another superhero who is immune to the virus. Eventually, the superhero saves Zephyr and he becomes Zephyr's boyfriend and they all live happily ever after!"

"A boyfriend for Zephyr? So, what are we going to call him, Mr. Saviour?"

"Clark Kent."

"I don't know how to break this to you, Sunshine, but that name is already taken."

"No, wise ass! Clark Kent" Justin pointed at the man who had just come in. Instantly, Michael understood why Justin called him Clark Kent. He was about six feet tall with dark blond hair. And, even though he was wearing a pair of faded blue jeans and a slightly worn leather jacket, there was a hint of sophistication behind the glasses he was wearing. Michael and Justin gasped simultaneously when the man bent down to pick up a comic book from the lower rack.

Justin turned to Michael and pouted, "Mommy, I want that one!" "

Shut up, Justin!"

Justin teased his friend. "Oh, come on! You think he's hot too. Just admit it, Michael!" He grinned when he saw Michael started to blush.

"So what if he is? That doesn't mean I'm interested."

"Don't you turn straight on me now, Michael! I saw how you looked at him. You want him sooo bad, don't you, Michael?"

"Christ, Justin, will you keep it down? He's going to hear you... Shit! He's coming over!"

"Uhm, excuse me, I'm looking for the owner of this place."

"Err... that would be me. I'm Michael Novotny. What can I do for you, sir?" Michael felt like his legs turned into Jell-O when the man flashed a smile at him.

"Mr. Novotny? This must be my lucky day. I'm your biggest fan. My name is Benjamin Bruckner. Just call me Ben."

"Ben?"

"Yeah, Ben. Pleasure to meet you." Suddenly Michael felt an electric surge through his spine and ended at the bottom of his groin when Ben gripped his right hand firmly. His heart was beating fast and he started to breathe shallowly.

Justin's smile faded when he could see Michael's face slowly turned pale. "Michael, are you okay? You don't look so good."

"I... I can't... breathe..." Suddenly, Michael passed out and collapsed on the floor.'

"Michael!"

Part 4

*Michael was panting and moaning. He could feel hot lips devouring every inch of his body followed by a moist tongue licking his nipples. Suddenly, he felt the man thrusting his dick up his ass and rocking. It was sheer bliss, but Michael was not satisfied. He needed to see his face. He tried to concentrate. He touched the man's face, trying to get a better look at it. And there it was. A pair of blue eyes staring down at him. He recognised the face...*

Michael opened his eyes and looked around the room. He was no longer in his store. His gaze stopped at the man sitting beside his bed, smiling at him. Michael's mind might be a little fuzzy right now, but he recognized that gorgeous face. That man was the last person he had seen before he passed out and THAT man was fucking him in his dream just now!

"Feeling better?" he asked Michael.

"Yeah, I guess. A little tired, but I'll be fine. Where am I?" Michael sat up and smiled back at him nervously. He was a little out of breath from the dream he just had so he tried really hard not to look directly into those eyes. He wouldn't want to faint again in front of the man.

"You're in a hospital."

"Hospital? What the hell happened to me?"

"Well, according to the doctor, you had an asthma attack and passed out, so we brought you here."

"We?"

"Yeah. Me and your friend, Justin. He's outside, trying to contact your family."

"I can't believe I had an asthma attack. I haven't had one since I was in high school. I'm sorry for all the trouble, Mr..." Michael squeezed his eyes shut, trying to remember the stranger's name.

"Benjamin Bruckner. Please, call me Ben. Nice to meet you. Again."

They shook hands, and, this time, Michael felt more relaxed and in controlled of the situation. "Oh, yeah! You were introducing yourself when I... God, I can't believe I fainted. I hope I didn't freak you out, Ben."

"Well, I must admit, it never happened to me before, but, hey, it's not every day you can be a superhero and save the day, right?"

"I guess so. And don't worry. I promise it won't happen again. Well, at least in not your presence anyway." They laughed and Michael felt his heart melting again when he looked into those piercing blue eyes. And that dazzling smile that could launch a thousand ships, and was sexy as hell!

"Look, Michael... Is it okay if I call you Michael? 'Cause calling you Mr. Novotny would be too formal."

"Of course you can. Heck, the last time somebody called me Mr. Novotny was when I was in high school and I was called to the Principal's office... I... I'm sorry, I'll... I'll stop yapping now. Must be the medication. Err... you were saying?" Michael tried to hide his embarrasment and silently cussed himself for talking too much.

"Anyway, Michael, I need to ask you and your friend, Justin, a huge favor. It has something to do with "Rage" but, I don't think it's such a good idea to discuss it right now."

"Oh? Why not?" Michael asked eagerly.

"Well, for one thing, you're in a hospital and you should get some rest, don't you think?"

"Oh, yeah. So what do you propose we do?"

"I tell you what, Michael. I'm leaving you my card, so feel free to give me a call when you're feeling better, okay?"

Michael took the card from Ben's hand and read it carefully. "Professor Benjamin Bruckner. You're a professor?"

"Yes, I am. I'm teaching Gay Studies at Carnegie Mellon."

Michael widened his eyes when he heard Ben uttered the word 'gay'. "That's... interesting." He gave Ben a meaningful smile.

Ben gazed at his watch and stood up. "Oh, God. Look at the time! Michael, I have to go now. I have class in thirty minutes. So, I'll talk to you again soon?"

"You bet. And thanks again for everything, Ben."

"No problem. Uhm... Michael?"

"Yeah?"

"Uh... you... might want to hide that before somebody comes in and sees it." Ben pointed at Michael's lap.

Michael looked down and gasped in horror when he saw his boner tenting underneath his hospital gown. "Oh, fuck!" He quickly grabbed a pillow and covered his lap.

Ben cleared his throat and smiled. "Must be one hell of a dream!" He walked out the door and closed the door behind him.

"Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Michael, you stupid fuck!" Michael cursed himself repeatedly. But Ben was right though. It had indeed been one hell of a dream. And right now, all Michael wanted to do was crawling back into his mom's womb and stay in there forever!

~~~~~~~

Brian practically jumped out of the elevator as soon as it reached the third floor. He made a mad dash to the information counter, looking for Michael's room.

"Excuse me, I'm looking for a patient, Michael Novotny. I think he was admitted here a few hours ago," Brian asked the nurse who was on duty.

"Brian, over here!"

He turned around to see Justin waving at him. He grabbed Justin by the shoulders and started shooting questions frantically. "Justin, what the fuck happened? Where's Mikey? Is he okay?"

"Whoa, whoa! Brian, relax. He's okay. He had an asthma attack and passed out. He's fine now."

"Well, then where the hell is he? I need to see him now!" Brian almost lost his patience with his ex-boyfriend who seemed so calm with the whole situation.

"Hey Brian, you keep yelling like that, the security will definitely throw your sorry ass out of this hospital! So, unless you calm yourself down, I'm not gonna let you see him. Is that understood?"

Brian tried to protest but he knew it would be useless once Justin gave his ultimatum. "All right! I'll try. Can we please see him now?" Brian said grudgingly and followed Justin into Michael's room.

Michael stirred slightly when he heard somebody entering the room. He opened his eyes to see Brian staring at him.

"Rise and shine, Mikey!" Brian felt the urge to reach out and hug his best friend, but fought the feeling and playfully slapped Michael's cheek instead.

"Hey, Bri." Michael rubbed his eyes and sat up slowly. "How long have I been sleeping?"

"You were already asleep when I came in to check on you about ten minutes ago. Geez, Mikey! You really freaked us out back there. We thought you were having a heart attack or something."

"Wait. Hold on a second, Justin. We? What do you mean we? I thought you were the only one there with Mikey."

"We were. And then 'Clark Kent' came in. Thank God he was there to save Michael." Justin sneaked a peek at Michael's expression when he said the name and, as he expected, Michael started to blush profusely.

Michael had every reason to blush. He began to remember his encounter with 'Clark Kent' and the embarrasing moment when his dick stood up in front of the man! How could he not notice that? He didn't even know if he had the courage to face that man again.

Brian was even more confused. "Hold on, you lost me there, Sunshine. Who's Clark Kent?"

Justin was about to spill everything when Michael interrupted. "He's just a customer. His name is Ben Bruckner. We were just talking when the asthma kicked in, I collapsed, and he helped me. That's all."

"No, that's not all. Brian, you should've seen how he carried Michael in his strong, muscular arms!"

Michael felt his heart stopped beating when he heard what Justin just said. "He... carried me?"

"Yup! When you collapsed, I didn't know what to do and started freaking out. But this guy, he was cool as a cucumber! He checked your breathing and your pulse and then he offered to help, so I said yes."

"And then he carried him?" Brian asked in disbelief.

"Oh, yeah! And I swear to you Brian, it was like watching 'An Officer And A Gentleman' all over again. Except, of course, minus the navy suit and Michael was out cold."

Michael was speechless. He clenched his fist, causing Ben's card to crumpled in his hand. Now he had one more good reason not to call him.

Brian started to tease Michael. "Mikey, you're such a slut!"

"Shut up, Brian! I didn't do anything. Do you think that I deliberately fainted so he could rescue me? That's just ridiculous!"

"Oh, yeah? Then how come you knew this guy's name? You never know the name of your customers unless they're your regulars."

"I didn't ask for his name. He came in and introduced himself first!"

"And he said that he's a big fan of Michael, too!" Justin eagerly added.

"No, Justin. He's a big fan of "Rage". That's why he came to the store. He needed to ask us a favor."

"Favor? What kind of favor?"

"I don't know. He said it wouldn't be appropriate to discuss it while I'm here. He left his card so I... I mean, WE could call him later. Here..." Michael handed the crumpled card to Justin.

"Geez, Michael, what did you do, scratch your back with it?"

Michael rolled his eyes. "Just shut up and read it!"

Before Justin had the chance to read what was on the card, Brian snatched it from his hand and read it aloud. "Let's see what we got here. Professor Benjamin Bruckner... Carnegie Mellon... My, my! Mikey just got himself a brainiac!"

"Yes, Brian, he's a professor and he's teaching Gay Studies. Can I have that back?"

"Gay Studies? Oh, man, this keeps getting better and better!"

"Brian, give it back!" Michael reached out and tried to seize the card but Brian swiftly turned away to avoid him.

"I tell you what, Mikey. You let me hold onto this and I will give it to you when you're ready to call him." Brian shoved the card into his back pocket and gave Michael a wicked grin.

"You know what, Brian? You can do whatever you want with it. I don't give a shit. I'm exhausted, so why don't you two get out of here so I can get some rest!" Michael huffed and lay down, pulling the bed cover over his head.

Their conversation was interrupted when they heard somebody open the door and Debbie burst in.

"Michael?"

Michael pulled down the cover when he heard his mother's voice. "Ma?"

"Oh, poor baby! Are you okay?"

"Yes, Ma, I'm...ummph...!" Michael felt the air leave his lungs when his mother bear hugged him.

"... fine. Ma... you're... crushing me!"

Debbie wiped her tears and held her son's face in her palm. "Oh, I'm sorry, sweetie. So, you're okay now?"

"I'm okay. I just need some rest. And I'm glad you're here." Michael leaned over and kissed his mother on her cheek.

Brian watched the affections exchanged between a mother and her son. Something he would never had with his own mother. "Err, guys, I'd really love to stay but I've got some stuff to do so I'm just gonna go."

"Hey, Brian, could you give me a ride?" Justin asked.

"Sure, Sunshine, I'll see you tomorrow, Mikey. Bye."

Michael let out a sigh of relief when his friends were gone and he was finally alone with his mother. At least she wouldn't ask him anything about Ben Bruckner.

Debbie dragged a chair to sit closer to Michael. "So, Michael. Tell me about this 'Clark Kent' guy..."

~~~~~~~

Brian dropped Justin in front of his apartment building. Justin was so tired, he practically had to drag himself out of Brian's jeep.

"God, I'm so tired!"

"Of course you are. You had a long day. You should get some rest, Sunshine."

"Brian, you're not gonna throw away the card are you?"

"Justin, I'm really not that heartless, okay? I was just fooling around. I'll give it to Mikey as soon as he's out of the hospital."

"You shouldn't have done that, Brian. I think he really likes the professor. Did you see his face when I mentioned the professor's name? I haven't seen Michael blush like that in years!"

"Oh, come on, Justin. That was just Mikey's dick responding. He hasn't had sex in two fucking years!"

"Yeah, maybe you're right. The guy's probably just a flash in the pan. There's nothing to worry about. But I have to warn you, Brian. He is hot!"

"Justin, I didn't know you like geeks!"

"He's not a geek, Brian. He's really, really hot!"

"Boy, I can't wait to meet this Ben. I wanna see what's so fucking great about him."

"You do whatever you want to do Brian. Right now, I just want to go upstairs, hit the shower, jerk off and go to bed."

"Need any help?"

"Goodbye, Brian."

"Happy jerk off, Sunshine!" Brian laughed when Justin gave him the finger as he trudged into his apartment building. He reached into his back pocket, took out Ben's card, and twirled it between his fingers. *Yeah, absolutely nothing to worry about!*

Part 5

Ben plopped himself down on the couch and let out a sigh. It had been a long day. His class schedule was packed, attended a two-hour faculty meeting and then he remembered going to the comic bookstore. Plus the incident that forced him to make a detour to the hospital. Instantly, the thought of it made him smile a little. The thought of the man he rescued broaden his smile. Michael Novotny.

He rose heavily and headed to the bathroom. He turned on the tap and let the hot water fill the tub. He was exhausted but somehow he couldn't stop smiling. He took off his shirt and sat on the edge of the tub. Michael Novotny. Michael. He kept repeating that name over and over again. He couldn't understand why he was so excited about Michael. There was something different about him-something intriguing.

Ben could sense insecurity and distrust behind Michael's smile and see the sadness and hidden pain mirrored in the man's deep, brown eyes. And that expression on Michael's face before he fainted-what was that all about? Did he happened to have his asthma attack or was it just his reaction when Ben shook his hand?

Luckily, Ben had been there to save the day, because obviously Michael's friend, Justin hadn't been much of a help. The young man had started freaking out when Michael had collapsed, leaving Ben to take control of the situation. The moment he carried Michael in his arms, he felt like Superman saving his damsel in distress.

And then he remembered the little incident at the hospital. Ben felt himself smiling again just thinking about it. Justin had been busy trying to call Michael's mother when they got to the hospital so Ben offered to stay by Michael's side until he regained conciousness. He was watching closely when Michael started moaning and panting in his sleep. Ben thought he was having another attack, but then Michael started to move his hips upward. His eyes were still closed so Ben knew he was dreaming. If only he was in it.

Michael had woken up without realizing his erection was pointing due north. Ben, nevertheless, felt awkward but didn't immediately tell Michael about it so that they could have a decent conversation and to save Michael the embarrassment.

Ben stepped into the tub and let his body soaked in the hot water. He couldn't wait for Michael's phone call so they could arrange to meet again. He thought about visiting him tomorrow at the hospital but gave it a second thought because he didn't want Michael to think he had hidden intentions.

Ben closed his eyes and rested his head on the edge of the tub. He couldn't stop thinking about Michael. Slowly, his hand started creeping down and closed on his hardened cock. He started stroking it as he imagined the beauty of Michael's body, his raven hair, those bedroom eyes, those kissable lips...

~~~~~~~

"Here." Brian pushed the piece of paper across the dashboard slowly.

Michael recognised the paper that Brian had confiscated, but pretended otherwise."What's this?"

"Oh, don't be coy, Mikey. You know you want this!"

"Well, I didn't spend a sleepless night thinking about it, if that's what you mean."

Michael eyes were fixed on Ben's card. He didn't dare to touch it because Brian's fingers were still pinned on it.

"So, are you going to call him?"

"I'll do whatever I think is necessary. Now can we please go home? They're waiting for us."

Brian chuckled. He took the card and shoved it into Michael's jacket pocket.

"Whatever, Mikey. If he offers to sleep with you, take him up on it. You REALLY need it! I think you oughta do it before you actually forget how to fuck."

"Thanks for the advice, Brian. I'll take it into consideration."

"Just don't get too attached!"

"O-kay! Home, please?"

Brian stepped on the gas and they drove away from the hospital.

~~~~~~~

Michael checked his watch for the fourth time. It was almost twelve o'clock and Justin still hadn't showed up. His friend had a meeting with his agent at his gallery a few hours ago, but he had promised to meet Michael here. He had been waiting for forty-five minutes and still no sign of Justin. Somehow, Michael knew he had to face this alone. The restaurant was air conditioned but he was sweating like a pig. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and tried to calm himself.

Suddenly, he felt his cellphone vibrating in his pocket. He took it out and saw Justin's name on the screen.

"Justin, where the hell are you?"

"Hey, Michael. I'm still at the gallery..."

"The gallery? You're still at the gallery? Why the fuck are you still at the gallery? You were supposed to be here in this wildly decorated Greek restaurant with me right now! We are going to meet Ben at twelve o'clock remember?" Despite his fury, Michael still managed to keep his voice down.

"Michael, I'm so sorry, okay! My agent brought her friend from New York to look at some of my artwork and they are offering me an exhibition in Manhattan! Isn't that great?"

"Yeah, it's great. Congratulation sweetheart. Now get your bohemian ass down here! He's going to be here any minute!"

"Uh, Michael. I don't think I can make it. We are still in the middle of our discussion here. I'm so sorry."

Michael sighed and wiped his sweaty forehead slowly. "This is just great. What the hell am I suppose to do when Ben gets here? The only reason why I agreed to do this was because you said that we're in this together."

"We ARE in this together!"

"No, you're not!"

"I'll be with you in spirit, honey!"

"Not funny!"

"Oh, just relax, Michael. Just talk to him. I don't think he's going to bite you. No, wait. That wouldn't be so bad now, would it?"

"Wait till I get my hands on you, you..."

"Okay, Michael, I'm gonna hang up now. If he wants to sleep with you, SAY YES! Bye."

"Justin? Hello? Ughh. Asshole!" Michael switched off his cellphone angrily.

"Am I interrupting anything?" Michael looked up to see Ben was already standing in front of him.

"Ben! Hi... no... no... you weren't interrupting anything. That was Justin. He couldn't make it... so we... I mean... just you and me... uh, have a seat, please."

"Thanks."

Michael watched carefully as Ben took off his leather jacket, revealing his well toned and muscular torso underneath his white cotton shirt.

"Are you okay?"

"What?" Michael was so mesmerized by the sight of Ben, he didn't realize he had been staring at the man for a while.

Ben rephrassed his questions. "Are you feeling better?"

"Oh, yeah. I'm okay now. Thanks for asking."

"Sorry I didn't come and visit you at the hospital. I was so busy with my work, I just couldn't fine the time."

"Oh, no! Don't worry about it. You've done so much already! Besides, the doctor said I was okay so I got out of the hospital the next day. Really Ben, I can't thank you enough."

Their conversation was briefly interrupted when the waitress came and took their orders.

"So, Ben, you're a fan of 'Rage'?" Michael asked nervously.

"Oh, yeah! I'm a big fan. Never missed a single issue."

Michael blushed. "Wow! I've never met a fan before. I'm very flattered."

"You should be. In fact, most of my students are fans too and we try to find time to discuss each issue once in a while."

"Really? That's interesting. I've never actually thought that a group of college student would be interested in comic books--MY comic book. What do you talk about?"

"It varies. Sometimes we talk about the bond between Rage and his sidekick, Zephyr. We also talk about the nature of the villains and other characters. Those students of mine have some interesting ideas. Some of them think that the characters in Rage are actually based on real people."

Michael's eyes widened when Ben's words hit the bull's eye.

Ben saw the change in Michael's expression, so he tried to rectify the situation.

"But we were just guessing. Maybe you could explain more to my students."

"Huh?"

"Maybe you could come to my class to talk about comic books and 'Rage'."

"What are you saying, Ben?"

"Michael, would you come to my class and have a discussion with my students about comic books?"

Michael was almost speechless. "Ben, I..."

"Look, I can't pay you much because we don't having any funding for this and it's not part of the curriculum."

"No, God, no! I'm not taking any money from you! It's just that... I don't think I'm the right person to give a lecture to a bunch of college students. I don't have the right qualifications, Ben. I just don't think I'm the right person."

Ben looked directly into Michael's eyes and gave him a breathtaking smile. "Yes, Michael. You've already said that twice, but I think you're wrong. You own a comic book store, so I'm guessing comics are something you're really passionate about, right?"

"Yeah, you could say that. Although, that's not the only thing that I'm passionate about." Michael felt himself blush again. For the first time in years, he was actually flirting with someone.

"Then, you are the right person to talk about it. Talk to them about your world. Make them see what you see. Tell them what Rage means to you."

Michael stared down at his food, pondering what Ben just said to him.

"And Justin could talk about his artwork, too."

"Justin?"

"Justin Taylor. The illustrator? Your partner?"

"Yeah, Justin. Artwork. Got it." Michael had almost forgotten about his partner. Of course he wouldn't be in this alone. Justin would be there with him.

"So, will you do it?" Ben asked hopefully.

"All right, I'll give it a try."

Ben beamed when Michael finally agreed. "Thank you so much Michael. You have no idea how much this means to me."

They resumed their lunch and their conversation. As time passed by and they got to know each other, Michael was more at ease talking to Ben. He hadn't had a decent conversation with anyone else except his family and his small circle of friends for a while--and Ben happened to be a very good listener. He paid attention to every single word Michael said and didn't show any signs of boredom.

"So, tell me Ben, what do you like about 'Rage'?"

"Well, obviously the reason why I like it is because it's about gay superheroes. It's nice to see that one of 'us' is out there, saving the world, you know. But to be honest with you, Rage is not actually my favourite character."

"Oh?"

"Don't get me wrong, Michael. I mean, sure, he's the ultimate superhero. He's strong, powerful and always gets to save the day, but he's too typical for me. I like his sidekick better."

Michael stopped chewing his food instantly. "You mean Zephyr?"

"Yeah! I'm totally rooting for Zephyr. He's so dark and mysterious. That makes him more interesting. I would really like to know more about him."

For a brief moment, Michael felt like he had died and gone to heaven!

Part 6

"All right boys, we're here!" Brian slowed the jeep down and pulled over in front of the main building. He took his time watching and gawking at some of the young college boys coming in and out of the main entrance.

Justin, who was sitting beside him, took the opportunity to mock him. "Stop drooling, Brian. You're way too old for them."

"Ha ha! Joke all you want, Sunshine. At least I'm not the one who hasn't gotten laid for months!"

"Oh, don't worry about me! I'm in no rush, because, unlike you, my biological clock isn't ticking fast."

"Fuck you, Justin!"

"No, fuck you!"

Michael sat silently the back seat, ignoring the quarrel between his two friends. He seemed to be lost in his own thoughts.

Brian waved his hand in front of Michael's face, trying to get his attention. "Hel-lo! Mikey, are you still here?"

"Sorry, what?"

"Are you okay?"

"I guess. Tell me again, why are we doing this?" Michael rubbed his sweaty palms nervously.

"Because you have a huge crush on the professor and this is the only way you get to see him again?"

With that answer, Brian received a hard smack on the back of his head from Justin. "Brian, shut up!"

Ignoring Brian's glare, he turned around to face Michael. "Don't listen to him, Michael. We're doing this because those kids want to know more about 'Rage'. This is an opportunity for us to get to know our fans."

"I... I don't think I can do this, Justin."

"Mikey, I've got an early meeting with a potential client in forty minutes. You say that one more time, I'm gonna step on the gas and we're out of here! Now make up your fucking mind. Are you in or out?"

Michael was taken aback by Brian's crassness, but his friend was right. This was not the time to back out.

"All right, I'm ready. Let's go!"

"Phew, thank you, God!" Justin sighed happily and got out of the jeep, followed by Michael and Brian.

"Brian, what are you doing?"

"What do you think I'm doing? I'm coming with you."

"But what about your meeting?"

"Do you think I'm going to miss the opportunity to meet the mystery stud? No fucking way!" Brian practically dragged Michael and Justin into the building.

As they entered the hallway, Brian saw a tall guy with dark blonde hair smiling and waving at them. Justin was right; he was hot and Brian felt a bit intimidated by that. He scanned the man closely as Ben approached them.

"Hey, guys. Welcome to Carnegie Mellon. Thanks for coming."

"I'm sorry we're late, Ben. We couldn't get a cab so I asked my friend here to give us a ride. Ben, this is Brian Kinney. Brian, meet Professor Ben Bruckner."

"Nice to meet you, Brian. Please, call me Ben."

"Professor Ben! Pleasure meeting you too." Brian took Ben's hand and gave it a firm grip. He was surprised when Ben squeezed his hand back.

Brian managed to shoot a piercing stare at Ben before he turned to Michael. "I'd love to stick around, Mikey, but I have a meeting with my client."

Michael gave Brian a puzzled look. "Wait a minute, Bri... I thought you said..."

"Gotta go, Mikey. I'll see ya later, okay?" And then suddenly Brian did something he hadn't done for years. He quickly grabbed Michael by the neck and gave him a deep kiss.

Michaael was too stunned to react. Justin could only watch with a gaping jaw. Ben was equally surprised and disappointed at the same time but he tried not to show his reaction.

Brian finally broke the kiss and quickly turned away before Michael could say anything.

"Hey, where's my kiss?" Justin demanded, only to received a tiny wave from Brian. The bastard didn't even bother to look at him.

Justin saw Michael's jaw tense as he tried to control his anger. What the fuck was Brian trying to prove? Was he marking his territory and telling Ben to back off? Michael was not even his to begin with. Or maybe Brian was just trying to protect his 'Mikey'? Whatever it was, there was going to be a big showdown between them afterwards - and it was going to be ugly.

Michael cleared his throat and quickly apologized to Ben. "I'm so sorry about that. Brian is probably on something. He always acting crazy when he's stoned."

"Hey, don't worry about it. I understand. Wow, look at the time! We should get going. They're waiting for us. Shall we?"

"Lead the way, Professor!" They laughed awkwardly as they made their way to the lecture hall.

When they entered the room, there were about a hundred students waiting for them. Michael's heart began to pound heavily and his fingers went numb. He took a front row seat next to Justin and watched Ben walked up to the podium to begin the session.

"May I have your attention, please? Good morning everyone. First of all, I would like to thank all of you for coming. As you already know, we have two special guests with us today and I would like to thank them for being here. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome our first guest, Mr. Novotny."

Michael held his breath when he heard his name being called. Justin squeezed his hand to show his support. Michael slowly rose and walked up to the stage. His heart soared when Ben smiled and whispered in his ear, "Go get 'em, Tiger," before taking a seat.

With new-found confidence, Michael took the microphone and introduced himself. "Good morning, everyone. I'm Michael Novotny, the co-creator of 'Rage'" Suddenly, the hall was filled with the roaring sound of applause. His fear began to fade when he heard the crowd cheering. Ben smiled at him and gave him a thumb up.

As the big screen behind him showed a picture of Captain Astro, Michael began to talk about his first encounter with his first love - comic books.

"I started reading 'The Flash','Superman', and 'Captain America' when I was just a kid - at first because it was fun. I liked the stories, the pictures, and it was a great escape from the stuff that was bugging me and the fact that my mom didn't want me to read them. But later on when I realized that... later on when I realized that I was gay, I read them for a different reason, because in ways that maybe nobody intended, these superheroes are a lot like me. At work, they're meek, they're unappreciated. They're the ones who never got laid. When they're around other people, they can't let anyone get too close to, fearing that their true identity will be discovered. But with all those villains, monsters and evil forces that try to destroy them, somehow I know they'll survive and they'll go on and save the world. That's how I feel about us - that no matter what happens, somehow we'll survive - and we'll win. That's what comic books have shown me..."

Michael went on to talk about his fascination with Captain Astro and Galaxy Lad and how his heart being crushed when they killed off his ultimate superheroes, led to the creation of 'Rage'. He was surprised to see that these students were really fascinated by it. They went on to discuss each character and possible storylines for the next issues. "

Mr. Novotny, is it true that the characters in 'Rage' are actually based on real people?" one of the students asked him. Instantly, Michael turned to Justin and Ben. He felt himself blushing.

"All right. Since we're already here, I might as well let it out in the open. They are based on real people. Some of them are friends, family,and a bunch of people we don't like very much."

Another student stood up and posed another question. "So, we're guessing JT is Justin Taylor - and you're Rage, right?"

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, but Rage is actually a best friend of mine. I'm only the sidekick." Michael sneaked a peek at Ben and saw the man shaking his head and smiling.

The same student shot out another question. "So, in the latest issue, Dr. Grimm is a real doctor? An ex-boyfriend, maybe?"

"Oh, shit!" Justin murmured.

Ben heard him and immediately knew something was wrong. "What? What is it?"

Michael was caught by surprise. He felt uncomfortable and paused for a few seconds to answer the question. "Uh... yeah. Actually, he's a former boyfriend who cheated on me."

Justin cocked his eyebrow. He couldn't believe what he just heard. Michael never talked about 'Dr. Grimm' in the open before. He was sure that Michael was going to stop talking and waited for his turn to speak.

"How the heck did you figure that out? No wonder you're in college, you guys are so damn smart!" Michael cracked a joke and made everyone laugh.

Justin was relieved that Michael was able to control himself when the subject was brought up and even joked about it.

Michael answered a couple more questions and then it was Justin's turn to speak. He showed some of the sketches of his previous work and his first sketch of Rage. At the end of the session, he asked the students to give some ideas to create a new villain for the up and coming issue. "

Congratulation, Michael. You guys were great!" Ben shook Michael's hand.

"Thanks. Actually, I'm not the real star here." Michael was talking about Justin who was busy signing autographs and taking pictures with his fans.

"I know what you mean. He's very talented. And so are you, Michael."

"Me? Nah! I'm just a regular guy who likes to let his imagination run wild."

Ben leaned forward and whispered to Michaael. "I know. That's what I like about you."

Michael was startled with Ben suggestive words. He couldn't believe Ben was flirting with him. He fought the urge to grab and kiss the man until they were both out of breath.

"Hey, Michael. Are we ready to go?"

"Huh?"

"Are we ready to go?" Justin repeated. He noticed that Michael's face was flushed and Ben was grinning. Somehow he had a pretty good idea what they were talking about. "

Uh... yeah, sure. Let me get my stuff." Justin and Ben looked on as Michael made his way to the table where he had put his bag.

"So, did you ask him out?" Justin whispered to Ben.

"Excuse me?"

"You should, you know. He likes you too. A lot."

"But what about Brian?"

"What about him? They're just friends."

"But they kissed..."

"Oh, that? Brian can be unpredictable sometimes. I wouldn't worry about that if I were you."

"Worry about what?" They were so busy talking, they didn't realize that Michael was standing nearby.

"Nothing! Michael, why don't you wait right here while I call the cab, okay?" Justin winked at Ben and headed for the exit.

Michael was confused. "Ben, what going on? What did he say to you?"

"He was just giving me some useful information."

"About what?"

"Your friend, Brian Kinney. He said that you two are best friends, which is a good thing because I want to ask you something." Ben rubbed his palms nervously.

"And...?"

"Michael, would you like to dinner with me?"

Michael was stunned. "Like, on a date?" He knew it was a stupid question but he wanted to be sure.

"Yes, Michael. I'm asking you out on a date." Ben waited for the answer.

"Uhm... yes."

"Great! I'll call you later, okay?"

"Okay. Later."

Michael couldn't stop beaming. Today had turned out to be the best day in his life.

Part 7

Michael was putting up a display in the window when Brian burst into the store.

"Mikey, we need to talk."

Obviously still pissed with the stunt Brian had tried to pull the other day, Michael ignored him. "Not now. I'm busy."

"Now, Mikey!" Brian grabbed Michael's wrist and dragged him across the room. He walked back to the front door and put up the 'CLOSED' sign.

"Brian, what the hell are you doing? I'm trying to run a business here!"

"No, this is more important. I don't think your customers would mind waiting for a few hours."

Michael gave up and reluctantly sat on the couch."Whatever. Just be quick. I've got tons of things to do."

Brian dragged a stool and sat directly in front of Michael. "Tell me. What's up with you and the Professor?"

"Who? Ben?"

Brian rolled his eyes "No, Sigmund Freud! Of course Ben, knucklehead!"

"What about him?"

"I heard this rumour about you going out on a date with him."

"Wait, how do you know...? Shit! You didn't happen to hear this rumour from Justin, did you?"

"It doesn't matter who I heard this rumour from. Is it true?"

Michael narrowed his eyes. "Ooh, that blabber mouth!" He should've known that Justin would blurt it out to Brian.

Brian repeated his question."Mikey, is it true?"

Michael was slightly annoyed by Brian's persistence. "As a matter of fact, Brian, he did ask me out on a date and I said yes."

"Mikey, are you sure you're ready for this?"

"Bri, it's just a date, not a brain surgery! I think I can handle it."

"I know that. But you haven't done this since... you know... you and David..." Brian couldn't finish his sentence.

Instantly Michael knew where Brian was going with the conversation. "And your point is?"

"Michael, if this is about the other day when I kissed you..."

Michael shook his head in disbelief. "Jesus Christ, Brian. You're such an arrogant prick!"

"Excuse me?"

"You actually thought that the reason why I'm going out with Ben was because of the kiss?"

"Well, I..."

"God, do you think I am THAT pathetic? Fuck you, Brian!" Brian almost fell off his stool when Michael shoved him in a fit of anger.

Michael shot up from the couch and started pacing around. He bit his lips and clenched his fist, trying really hard to control his emotion. "Do you really think my life revovles around you?" Michael said wiht a raised voice.

"Mikey... I..."

"Just because you've known me since we were kids,doesn't mean you own me! I can do whatever the fuck I want with my life and it doesn't have to be all about you, Kinney!"

Brian was stunned, hearing the hostile words from his best friend. Michael never called him by his last name.

"Mikey, I'm just looking out for you."

"You know what? I'm sick and tired of everybody looking out for me. I'm a grown man, I can take care of myself!" Michael walked towards the door and flipped back the sign on the door. Holding it open, he was gesturing Brian to leave.

"Mikey, don't do this," Brian pleaded.

"Look, I don't want to deal with your bullshit right now. Just... get out of my face, Brian."

Brian heard the door slam shut behind him as soon as he stepped outside. He turned around and lit a cigarette as he watched Michael's shadow through the glass door. "Just don't get hurt, Mikey."

~~~~~~~

"For the last time, Justin, where is my son?"

Justin felt like war prisoner waiting to be tourtured as Debbie interrogating him. Right now, he wished he hadn't stepped into the diner and opened his big mouth. He had already made one mistake when he had accidentally said something to Brian about Ben.

"I already told you Deb. I don't know!" He tried to sound convincing but it was a lost cause. Michael's mom was a human bloodhound and she could smell fear from miles away.

"Don't give me that crap, Taylor. I know you're lying. Michael told me that he was going to your place to discuss something about your comic book. We left the house together about two hours ago and then you walked in hereand ordered takeout because you have to work late tonight. Alone. Explain that!" Debbie tapped his fingers on the table, waiting for Justin's explaination.

Justin turned to Ted and Emmett, silently pleading for help.

Ted grinned."Hey, don't look at us, Justin. We didn't get you into this mess. Besides, I want to here what you have to say about this too."

"Come on, guys! Michael made me promise not to say anything."

"So you DO know where he is!" Busted.

Justin couldn't help but to laugh at his own stupidity. "Well, fuck me!"

Brian walked in with Lindsay and Gus in tow, just in time for Justin to spill everything to everyone. "What the hell's going on here?"

"Shhhh!" Brian yelped when Emmett shushed him and yanked his jacket, forcing him to sit down.

"All right! I'll tell you where he is! Just stop staring at me. You're gonna give freaking nightmares!"

He took a deep breath and continued. "The reason why Michael is not here is because... at this very moment, he's in a fancy restaurant, having a romantic dinner with a very hot college professor!"

Everyone else was speechless. Emmett gasped loudly and covered his mouth.

"I'm sorry. What?" Debbie asked again.

Justin rephrased his announcement. "You son is out on a date with a hot guy name Ben Bruckner." Justin rephrased his sentence.

"What? Like a date?"

"Yes, like a date."

"Like a date, date?"

"YES, it's a real date! Jeez, Deb. Do I have to spell it out for you?"

Debbie felt like she was about to cry. She tried not to but she couldn't control her emotion. "Oh, God, I can't believe it's finally happening! My baby is going out on a date!"

Brian, who had been a silent spectator, suddenly stood up. "Fuck this! I'm out of here." Brian was about to exit the diner when Justin's voice stopped him. "

Jesus, Brian, what the fuck is your problem?"

"I don't have a problem, but you guys do. I feel like I'm watching a fucking soap opera. It's just a date for fuck's sake!"

Debbie was annoyed by the way Brian reacted to the news. She stood up and walked over to him. "No, Brian. It's not just a fucking date. Michael went through hell because of what David did to him. Tonight, he's taking a huge step. I intend to be by his side to show my support snd, as his best friend, I think you should too."

"Yeah, Brian. I thought you'd want Michael to go out with Ben. Why are you acting like such a prick now?"

"No, Justin. I told him to go for it if this guy wants to jerk him off, not to go out on full blown romantic date! He's not ready for this!" Instantly Brian felt a sense of deja vu when the heated conversation he had with Michael started playing again in his head.

"Oh, really, how would you know?" Emmett cut in.

"I just know, okay."

Lindsay, who felt the tension mounting between them, grabbed Debbie and Justin, pulling them away from Brian. "Come on, fellas. Just ignore him. Let's talk about Michael's date. I want to know more."

Brian, on the other hand, refused to let go of the subject. He started to raise his voice."You just don't get it, do you?"

"Brian, let it go," Lindsay warned him.

"No! I don't care what you think about me, but I care for Mikey. God, can't you see what is happening here? He's going to fall head over heels for this guy!"

"We know that, Brian. They'll go out on more dates and Mikey will fall in love again. Isn't that what we want for him?" Ted asked.

"Right. You know what? I can actually picture the conversation between them. 'Oh Ben, I love you so much! I'm ready to fuck now. Oh, by the way, I'm HIV-postive. I got it from my two-timing ex-boyfriend. I hope you don't mind!' Did any of you ever think of that?" Brian lashed out. He waited for some backlash but received a silent respond instead.

"That's what I thought." Brian sighed heavily and left.

"Bummer Man, he delivers!" Emmett finally spoke out, breaking the silence.

~~~~~~~

The weather was a bit chillythat night in Pittsburgh as two figures were seen strolling down the sidewalk.

"God, this is so embarassing! I'm so sorry, Michael" Ben apologized. He covered his face with his hand, trying to hide his embarassment.

"Ben, I told you, it's okay. Besides, it wasn't your fault that the car broke down."

"No, it is my fault. I shouldn't have borrowed that junk from my friend."

"Well, that 'junk' did get us to the restaurant and we did have a nice dinner."

"I still don't understand why you want to walk instead of taking a cab. You said so yourself, your house is a couple of miles away."

"Nah, don't worry about it. Besides, we can get to know each other better this way and talk all the way to my house. I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all. Hey,does that mean I can ask you anything?" Ben flashed a wicked grin that made Michael blush.

"That depends on the subject. Shoot."

"How come Brian is not your boyfriend?"

Michael was caught off guard by Ben's question. "He's not. We've known each other since we were fourteen. We're just friends. Best friends."

"He seemed to care about you a lot. You two seemed... close." Ben was refering to the kiss between Brian and Michael the other day.

"That's Brian. He can be unpredictable sometimes, but he's always there for me." Michael looked away, remembering the little quarrel he had with Brian about Ben yesterday. "Actually, I used to have a crush on him."

"Oh?" Ben sounded a little surprise.

Michael saw the sudden change in his expression. "But that's all history now. I have a crush on someone else now."

"Michael, watch out! Michael was so busy flirting, he couldn't see a kid on a skateboard coming directly towards him.

Then, suddenly he felt Ben grab his waist and pull him aside, just in time to avoid a possible collision. Now, they are standing face to face, with Ben staring down at him.

"Watch where you're going asshole!"

Both men were lost in their own world. They didn't hear the kid swearing them. Michael thought he could look into those eyes forever and how he wished he could crush Ben's lips against his own and taste those sexy...

"Are you okay?"

"Huh? Oh... yeah, I'm fine." Michael said dreamily, still staring at Ben's lips.

"That kid almost ran you over."

Yeah. Luckily you were there to save the day. And that's the second time you saved me. Thanks, Super Ben." Ben burst out laughing when he heard his new nickname.

"Super Ben? Oh, geez, should I change into my tights now? I think there's an old lady there need some help to cross the street."

"Oh, don't be modest, Ben. You have a superhero quality in you. In fact, I think I'm going to create a new character for my comic based on Ben Bruckner."

"Well, I have to say I'm very honored by that. Err... you're not planning to name him 'Super Ben' are you?

They continued talking and laughing at each other's jokes. Suddenly, Michael realized that Ben had been holding his hand.

"You don't mind, do you?" Ben was gesturing at their hands.

"Not at all. This way, if something happen, you can just pull me to safety." Michael clasped Ben's hand in his and continued their walk along the cold streets of Pittsburgh.

"Well, that's my house, over there." They were standing across the street of Michael's house.

"I've had a great time, Michael."

"Me too, Ben. I have to say, this is the most memorable first date I've ever had."

"I know. I am so sorry about the car.

"Ben, stop saying that. I meant it in a good way. To tell you the truth, I don't mind doing it again with..." Michael felt his world was spinning around When Ben leaned over and kissed him without a warning.

"I'm sorry!" Ben said.

"No, no, don't be. That was too quick. Can we just... do that again?" At first, the kiss was light. And then Ben started to massage his lips against Michael's. He lifted his hand to clasp Michael's face. Michael responded by placing his hands on Ben's hips. They continued kissing for a few seconds. Michael felt a little bolder and started to caress Ben's lips with his tongue and when Ben opened his mouth and let their touch tongues touch, Michael lost his balance and almost fell over.

"Whoa, careful now.' Ben quickly grabbed Michael's waist to hold him up.

"Wow! Did I just swoon? I think I just swooned! Michael blushed. Are you sure you don't want me to walk you to the door?"

"You have no idea how much I want that but knowing my mother, she's probably waiting for me right now. I don't want to scare you away. Not yet anyway."

"I think I can handle her. I'm Super Ben' remember?"

"Some other time, okay? I promise."

"Okay. So, I'll see you later?"

"I'll be waiting. Good night, Ben."

"Good night, Michael." Ben gave another soul searing kiss and backed away. Michael waver good bye and watched until Ben's figure disappear from his sight.

Part 8

"And then he kissed me. Again."

"Wow! Two kisses on your first date. That's definitely a good sign, Michael."

"Well, three if you count the goodbye kiss. And by God, he's a good kisser." Michael closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. He could still feel the softness of Ben's lips brushing against his. Once again, Michael was on cloud nine.

"Hello? Earth to Michael. Are you still here?" A gentle tap on his shoulder brought Michael back from his reverie.

"Huh? Sorry. What?"

"I said, are you going to see him again?"

Michael gave Justin a meaningful smile. "I don't know. Maybe."

"That's usually means yes. Justin made an announcement to an absent audience inside the store. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm here to declare that Michael Novotny is back in the dating game!"

Michael blushed. "It's no big deal."

"Of course it is. You're smiling again. You should take a look at yourself in the mirror. You look... happy."

"I am happy."

"Good for you, Wonder Boy." Justin gave his friend a wink.

"...but somebody isn't." Michael's face had suddenly turned serious.

Justin gave Michael a puzzled look. "What do you mean?"

"My mom."

"What about her?"

"Last night, when I got home, she was waiting for me. And knowing my mother, I was expecting a full blown cross-examination about my date with Ben. But instead, she just gave me a good night kiss and went straight to bed. That was so not her at all."

"Well, maybe she's just giving you some space."

"Maybe. But that look she gave me. She looked... sad. This morning during breakfast, she didn't say a single word to me. And I could've sworn she was hiding something. Did something happen last night?"

"Uh... like what?"

"I don't know. Maybe she received a phone call from someone or somebody said something that might bother her."

"I... I don't think so. Nope. Nothing. Absolutely nothing." Justin started fidgeting and made Michael suspicious.

"Justin, don't lie to me!" Michael warned him.

Justin raised his hands as a sign of retreat. "Okay, okay. Just don't kill me yet. I'm just the messenger. Last night I went to the diner and accidently blurted out about your date to everyone-including your mother."

"Figures." Michael rolled his eyes.

"As I was saying, I was about to break the news when Brian came in with Lindsay and Gus."

"Brian? Fuck, I should've known! What did he say to my mom this time?"

"Well, he said something about you not being ready to go out on a date again."

"See, I figured he would say that, but I don't think that's what making my mom reacted the way she did."

"Michael, maybe you should talk to your mom about this."

"I doubt she would tell me the truth. Now stop wasting my time and tell me what else Brian said to her!"

"He... uhm... he worries about how Ben would react if you told him..."

"Tell him about what, Justin?"

"That... that you're... positive."

Positive. The word hit Michael like a bullseye. Instantly, he felt like the whole world around him crumbled on his feet. Tears started trickling down his cheek.

"Michael?"

Michael tried to force out a laugh. "Of course. I had totally forgotten about that."

Justin felt like he had driven a knife right through Michael's heart. "I'm so sorry, Michael. I shouldn't have told you about it."

"Don't be. God, Justin, I was so happy about the way things were happening since I met Ben, I totally forgot that I'm sick."

"Michael, you're not sick."

"I should've known this was too good to be true." Michael wiped his tears and grabbed his jacket on his way out. "Do me a favor and lock up the store for me."

"Michael, wait. Where are you going?"

"I need to get out of here. Call my mom and tell her not to worry about me."

Justin watched helplessly as Michael closed the door behind him.

~~~~~~~

It was drizzling that night but Michael didn't seem to care. He had been walking all night and now he was soaking wet. He had been walking down the same street he and Ben took last night, reliving every moment of it. What a night it was. For a brief moment in his life, Ben made him forget about his own struggle with his health problem. He felt so good whenever he was with Ben, but all that would have to end soon-right after he told Ben that he was HIV positive.

~~~~~~~

Debbie stood up and look at the clock again. It was almost four in the morning and Michael still hadn't come back yet. Justin had called ealier and told her what had happened. She tried to call Michael's cellphone but there was no answer.

Vic came out from the kitchen and handed his sister a cup of coffee. "No word from him yet?"

"No. Vic, I'm worried about him. Damn it! I tried to act like everything was okay this morning but I couldn't help myself. What the hell is wrong with me?"

"Nothing is wrong with you. You're his mother, Deb. You have the right to feel that way. Stop worrying about Michael. I'm sure he's going to be all right."

"I just want my son to be happy. Is that too much to ask?" Debbie burried her face on her brother's shoulder and started to cry.

"Everything is going to be okay, sis. I promise." Vic embraced his sister gently and let her cry herself to sleep.

Vic had almost fallen asleep when he heard somebody opened the front door.

"Michael?" He shifted and tried to wake Debbie but Michael stopped him.

"Shhh... don't wake her up." Michael whispered. He slowly tiptoed to his room.

"Michael?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you going to be all right?"

"Don't worry about me. I'm gonna be fine. Good night, Uncle Vic."

"Good night, son."

~~~~~~~

Michael had been standing in front of Ben's apartment building for twenty minutes. He thought about calling him and telling him everything on the phone but he felt like he needed to see Ben for one last time. Right now, he couldn't bring himself to even enter the building. He started walking slowly and before he knew it, he was standing on Ben's doorstep. He rang the door bell a couple of times but no one seemed to be home.

"Maybe he's out grocery shopping or something." Michael mumbled to himself. He was about to walk away when he heard the door creak open. He ended up desperately gasping for air when Ben opened the door clad only in a towel.

"Michael! What a surpise!"

"Hi, Ben. Err... did I come at a bad time?" Michael couldn't resist staring at Ben's exposed skin dripping wet. This was going to be a lot harder than he expected.

"No, of course not. I was in the shower. That's why I couldn't hear the doorbell. Please, come on in. I better put some clothes on." Ben grinned when he realized that Michael couldn't take his eyes off of him.

Michael looked on as Ben's figure disappeared into his bedroom.

"How did you know where I live?"

"Oh, I called one of your students, Jay Davies, and asked for your address. I hope you don't mind."

"Oh, no." Ben emerged from his room wearing a grey cotton shirt and a pair of faded blue jeans which did nothing to erase the first view he had given Michael. "Not at all. Besides, I should've given you my address in the first place and saved you all the trouble. Anyway..." Ben stepped closer to Michael. "I'm glad you're here. I can't stop thinking about you." And give him a kiss.

Michael's brain told him to pull away but his body refused to respond. He tried to focus on the reason why he had come but the sensation of Ben's lips on his was too strong to resist. He finally gave up and parted his lips to let Ben in. Their tongues danced like hot fire as Michael felt the warmth of Ben's palms cupping his jaw and bringing them closer together. He responded by lacing his fingers in Ben's damp hair. Michael finally pulled away when he felt Ben's hard-on pressing against his groin.

"No! I... I'm sorry. We shouldn't be doing this. This is not why I'm here."

"Michael, what's wrong?" Ben asked with bated breath, obviously still breathless from the kiss.

"Ben, I have something to tell you. I should've told you this the moment you asked me out or... or right after we met... at the hospital... but, I was too afraid that you would go away... and... and..."

"Michael, calm down. Now what is it that you want to tell me?"

"I... I don't think we should see each other anymore."

"But... why?" Ben was visibly shocked by Michael's words.

"I wish I could tell you, Ben. I just want this to end before it gets serious." Michael turned away from Ben and tried to fight back his tears.

"I don't understand, Michael. Is it me?"

"No, Ben, it's not you. You didn't do anything wrong. I..."

"Then tell me, Michael. Why do you want this to end? I thought we had something going on between us." Ben stepped closer and put his hands on Micheal shoulders. Michael quickly shoved them away.

"No, please don't do this, Ben. This is not easy for me either."

"Michael, please!"

"All right! You want to know why? Let me tell you why! I'm HIV positive, okay? I got it from my last boyfriend two years ago. That motherfucker cheated on me and infected me! And since then, I've never trust another soul except my family. I haven't dated, fucked or even kissed another man for two fucking years! I was doing fine until you came along and now... I just want this to go away so I can get on with my life."

Michael felt a heavy burden had been lifted from his shoulder. He knew it was wrong of him to yell at Ben but that was the only way he could let it all out. He looked at the man standing in front of him, trying to read the expression on his face.

Obviously, Ben was aghast by Michael's confession. He tried to think of something to say but he couldn't. "Michael, I..."

"Ben, don't. You don't have to say anything. Look, I'm sorry I yelled at you and I'm sorry I didn't tell you about this ealier. It's best that you forget what went on between us and get on with your life. I should be going now."

"Have a nice life, Benjamin Bruckner." Michael took one last look at the man and left.

Part 9

"Michael? Baby, are you okay?" Silence.

Debbie relentlessly knocked on the door, trying to get her son to speak to her. "Come on, let me in. I understand how you feel. Let's talk okay?"

"Go away, Ma!" Michael answered from behind the closed door.

While Debbie continued her negotiation, Emmett and Ted gathered in the kitchen, listening carefully while helping Vic preparing dinner.

"God, can somebody please shut her up? Why can't she just leave Michael alone?" Emmett babbled as he set up the table.

"I've tried to stop her but she wouldn't listen to me. She's worried that Michael might get suicidal again." Vic said while stirring slowly the spaghetti sauce. The dish was ready a few minutes ago but Vic kept stirring it just to keep himself busy.

"Maybe this guy, Ben, decided not to see him again after Michael told him the truth. Bastard!" Emmett slammed the plates on the dining table, displaying his anger.

Ted on the other hand, totally disagreed with his boyfriend's opinion. "Let's not jump to conclusions here. Maybe he hasn't told him yet. Maybe he just needs more time to settle this on his own."

The three men almost jumped out of their skins when suddenly they heard somebody banging on the back door frantically. Justin burst in as soon as Vic opened the door.

"Justin? What are you doing here?"

"Michael! I need to see Michael!"

"Hey, calm down. What do you want to see him for?"

"Because of this." Justin handed a piece of paper in Vic's hand.

"What is this?"

"It's the new story line for 'Rage'. It was faxed to me this afternoon. Read it." Justin's breath was still ragged. He took off his jacket and threw it on the kitchen counter. Vic took his seat and started reading. Emmett and Ted waited with anticipation.

"Shit!" Vic covered his mouth. He raised his head and gave Justin a quizzical look.

"I know!" Justin nodded his head and started pacing.

The other two were still clueless about the whole thing. "What... Vic, give me those!" Ted grabbed the paper from Vic's hand and started reading it with Emmett.

Vic was still dumbfounded. He turned to face Justin and grabbed his wrist. "Michael wrote this?"

"Uh-huh."

"Oh, my God!" Emmett gasped. "Justin, you're not going to use this are you?"

"I don't know, Em. I still can't believe he's going to kill off Zephyr's character."

"You don't think he's serious, do you?"

"That's why I'm here. Maybe he was angry while he was writing this. He had this idea about Zephyr getting a new boyfriend who can cure his disease. And now... I don't know." Justin closed his eyes and squeezed the bridge of his nose, trying to ease his throbbing headache.

"Listen up, guys." Vic finally spoke out. "Whatever happens, I don't want anybody to say a single word about this to Debbie. Got it?"

"About what?" They had been so busy discussing the matter, they hadn't heard Debbie coming down the stairs.

"No... nothing. I was just telling Justin not to say anything about Ben to you. You... you've had enough trouble dealing with Michael."

Debbie sighed heavily. "You've got that right. I wish I could close my eyes and make all the problems just go away."

The men were partially relieved when they realized that Debbie hadn't heard their conversation just now.

They all sat down and ate their dinner quietly while Michael was still in his room. They were about to finish when they heard the doorbell rang.

"I'll get the door," Ted volunteered when nobody seemed to care to answer the door.

They continued eating in silence, though Debbie didn't even touch her food. A few moments later Ted returned to the kitchen with a stunned look on his face.

"Teddy, who is it?" Emmett asked when his boyfriend couldn't seem to open his mouth.

"Uh... umm, there's uh, a gorgeous man at the door, looking for Michael."

"Ted? Theodore! look at me! Is the man six feet tall, dark blonde with glasses?" Justin grabbed by the shoulder, practically shaking it to get an answer.

"Oh, yeah!"

"Oh, fuck, it's Ben!" Justin rushed to the front door. Everyone was momentarily speechless but then suddenly they all got up simultenously, pushing each other to get a good look at Ben. They all stared with gaping jaws as soon as they caught sight of the professor.

"Sweet mother of God, he IS gorgeous!" Emmett managed to choke out.

"Hey, everybody. This is Ben Bruckner. Ben, this is..." Justin couldn't finish the introduction before Debbie shoved everyone aside and introduced herself to the Professor.

"Hi, there. I'm Debbie, Michael's mother. Nice to meet you." Debbie held out her hand and shook Ben's hand.

"Hi, Debbie. It's a pleasure to finally meet you. I'm here to see Michael. Is he here?"

"Why? Don't you think you've done enough damage already?"

"Deb!" Justin scowled at Debbie.

"I'm sorry, Sunshine. If he's here to break my son's heart again, I'm not going to stand here and watch!" Debbie tried to defend herself.

Justin grabbed her hand and forced her to sit on the couch. "You're not going to do anything. Now, I'm sure Ben has something to say to Michael. So I want you to sit down and shut up and let them sort this thing out on their own."

"But I..." Debbie tried to protest.

"Not a single word, Debbie!"

Justin walked back to Ben and led him to the stairs. "Come on, Ben. Let me show you to Michael's room."

Ben nodded and quickly followed Justin to Michael's room upstairs.

Vic, Ted and Emmett watched in awe at the sight of Ben's ass displayed to them as he ascended the stairs.

Justin knocked on the door slowly. "Michael?"

"Justin? What the fuck are you doing here?" Michael sounded a bit surprised but still refused to open the door.

"Come on, open the door."

"Go away, Justin."

"Ben's here to see you."

"What did you say?"

"Ben. He's here. Why don't you come out and talk to him."

"Tell him... tell him I'm asleep."

"Err, I don't think he's buying that, Michael. He's standing right here next to me." Justin grinned and nudged Ben when he let out a chuckle.

They waited for a few moment before Michael finally opened the door and peeked his head out. Ben greeted him with a smile. "Hi, Michael."

"Hi." Michael responded nervously.

"Look, you left without giving me a chance to say anyhing yesterday. I was hoping that we could talk."

Justin decided to do something when Michael seemed reluctant to give Ben an answer. "Look, Michael, why don't you let Ben in and listen to what he has to say, okay? We'll be downstairs if you need us. And afterwards, you and I are going to talk about THIS." Justin held out the faxed paper in front of Michael.

Ben was impressed with the surroundings when he stepped in. The room was not very spacious but it was kept in order with wall to wall memorabilia of Captain Astro and other comic book figures. "Wow, this place is amazing."

"Look, cut the crap and say what you want to say, okay?"

"Michael, why did you leave?"

"Because I had nothing more to say to you. I told you, it's over."

"But I don't want it to be over. I want to see you again."

"But why? I told you, I'm HIV positive!"

"Yeah. So?"

"What do you mean so? Doesn't it mean anything to you? Doesn't it scare you?"

"But I thought we had something going on between us."

"What part of 'I'm-HIV-positive' you don't understand? There's a deadly virus swimming in my blood! I'm just doing you a favor here. Now you can go and find someone who's healthy to be your boyfriend. I'm not... worth the risk." Michael uttered the last sentence slowly. Maybe he didn't want Ben to hear it, or maybe he didn't want to hear it himself. He felt like his heart crushing itself slowly. Suddenly, Ben grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly.

Michael turned around to see Ben staring at him with a warm smile.

"But you ARE worth all the risk." Michael stared back at those amazing blue eyes.

"But...why?" Michael managed to choke out.

"Michael..." Slowly, Ben pulled Michael into his warm embrace. He carefully traced the outline of Michael's jaw with his fingers. "I'll be thirty six this year. I could go out there and find a so called 'negative' guy out there and have a short fling or even a one night stand with him, but I don't want to. I don't need another sexual adventure. I want to have a real relationship. I want someone I can hold on to. Someone who cares about me-about who I am. And I know that's how you feel about me. I can see it in your eyes, when you look at me. And I can feel it from the way you kiss me, Michael."

Ben leaned forward to capture Michael's mouth. Michael responded by placing his hand around Ben's neck and kissing him back. Eventually Michael came to his senses and broke away from the kiss. "No..." He leaned his forehead on Ben's and gently touched Ben's lips with his finger. "I... I can't." His hand moved to Ben's shoulder and pulled himself away.

"Michael, please. I want you to give us a chance. I know we can make this work," Ben pleaded.

"I... I need more time." Michael turned away and wiped his tears.

"Of course. I understand. I better go now." Ben headed for the door. Before he opened it, he turned to Michael again. "But I promise you, Michael. You won't regret this."

When Ben squeezed the doorknob, he could've sworn he heard the sound of footsteps scattering on the hallway. He opened the door slowly and saw a few shadows running down the stairs. As he reached the living room, everyone acted like nothing happened but they were visibly breathless.

"I guess I better go now. It was nice meeting you guys. I'm sorry for all the trouble."

"Ben, is everything all right?" asked Justin.

"You heard him. He needs more time." As soon as Ben closed the front door, everyone looked at each other with a guilty look. "See, I told you guys not to eavesdrop!"

"Shut up, Ted!"

Ted pouted when everyone snapped at him simultaneously.

~~~~~~~

"Ben!"

Ben was about to cross the street when he heard somebody calling out his name. He turned around to see Michael running towards him. Michael stopped when they were standing face to face.

"Hi," Michael finally spoke out.

"Did I leave something behind?"

"No, you didn't leave anything. I just want to tell you something."

"Which is?"

"I've made up my mind."

"And...?"

"I want to give us a chance too."

Ben's anxiety was quickly replaced with exhilaration when Michael smiled at him. He quickly grabbed Michael's waist and pulled him into a deep kiss that left both of them moaning.

"Are they still looking at us?"

Ben looked over Michaels shoulder and saw everyone standing on the porch, smiling back at them. "Yup."

"Let's go back to your place."

"I think that's a great idea." The shared another kiss and walked away in each other's arms.

Part 10

Michael closed his eyes as he felt his lips touching Ben's. The kiss started out slow but then it began to heat up as Ben started to unbutton Michael's shirt. Michael let out a soft moan when he felt Ben's hand touching his skin. They fell on the couch and continued undressing each other. Michael was already topless as he lay on top of Ben and began to lavish kisses on his bare chest. Michael slowly moved downwards until he reached Ben's jeans. He quickly undid the button and dipped his hand inside.

"Oh, God!" Ben cried out as he felt Michael's fingers around his cock. He tried to control his breathing as felt like he was about to come.

"Condoms?"

"Huh?" Ben opened his eyes to see Michael smiling down at him.

"Condoms. Where do you keep them?"

"Oh. They're um... drawer... no, bathroom... medicine cabinet."

Michael snickered at Ben's difficulty in forming words while his rigid member was being stroke. He stopped the motion and stood up. "I'll be right back."

Michael practically ran to the bathroom and quickly reached for the medicine cabinet. But suddenly his smile disappeared when he looked inside. He felt his body freeze as reality kicked in. He looked at the condoms he held in his trembling hands. "What the hell am I doing? This is wrong. This is fucking wrong!" He threw the packets away as his body slumped against the cold bathroom wall.

He must have been sitting on the floor for a few moments when he heard Ben called his name. "Michael?" Michael closed his eyes when he heard a knock on the door.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. I was just... I... can't..." Michael couldn't control his emotions and began to cry.

"What? Michael I'm coming in." Ben entered the bathroom to see Michael on the floor, crying. "Michael, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" Ben reached out his arms, trying to comfort Michael only to met with his resistant.

"No!" Micheal quickly got up and walked out of the room. "I can't do this, Ben." He went to the living room and grabbed his discarded clothes and headed for the front door.

"Michael wait!"

"I'm so sorry." Michael didn't have the courage to turn around to face Ben. He closed the door behind him, leaving Ben dumbfounded.

~~~~~~~

Brian was awakened by the loud banging on his door. "Fuck off!" He yelled and rolled around to continue his slumber.

"Brian! Let me in!"

He instantly recognised the voice and shot up from the bed. "Mikey?"

"It's me. Let me in. Please..."

Brian could sense the desperation in Michael's voice. When he opened the door, he was surprised to see his best friend looking miserable and sad.

"Christ, Michael. You look like shit!" Brian meant it as a joke, but when he saw Michael's lips trembling and tears started welling up in his eyes, he pulled Michael inside his loft and waited for him to say something.

"God, Brian. I... We... almost did it. I feel so horrible..."

"Did what? With who?"

"I was at Ben's place. We were kissing, and then one thing led to another... I... I asked for condoms... and then I saw his medicine cabinet... Oh, God, I feel sick!"

"You look sick. Do you need to use the bathroom?" Without responding, Michael made a mad dash towards the bathroom, slammed the door shut and threw up.

Brian waited patiently for Michael to come out. After a few moments, he knocked on the door to see if Michael was all right. "Mikey? Are you feeling better?"

"I'll live."

"Whatcha' doing in there?"

"Right now, I'm watching my dinner floating around in your toilet bowl."

"Very funny, Novotny. Seriously, what were you talking about? I know it's about Ben, and you were about to fuck, and I think you mentioned condoms and medicine cabinet or something. What was that all about?"

Brian took a step back when the door creaked open. He took Michael by the hand and they walked together into the living room. He ran to the kitchen to get his friend a glass of water. Michael took a few gulp and set the glass down on the coffee table.

"Ready to talk?"

"I think so."

"Spill."

"Ben came to my house this afternoon."

"Really? So, he met your mom?"

"Yup. He came to tell me that he's willing to give 'us' a try."

"And he said that AFTER he met your mom? I'm impressed!"

"Brian!"

"Sorry. Go on."

"So, we went to his place. We talked for a few hours and then we started kissing and things started getting hot and heavy. I asked him for condoms. He told me it was in his medicine cabinet. So I went to look for it. But then, when I looked inside, everything just fell apart."

"I don't understand. What did you see?"

"A bottle of aftershave, some aspirin, and condoms."

Brian gave Michael a confused look. "And...?"

"And that was it! It was practically empty. Brian, have you seen MY medicine cabinet? It's full of my stuff. I don't want to fill his with mine!"

"You mean your medication?"

"Yes! And I also don't want it to be HIS medication."

"That's why you chickened out?"

"Yes. I just couldn't do it."

"Mikey, have you been living under a rock? That's why they invented condoms, stupid! You use it during fucking sessions so you won't pass anything to each other!"

"I know that! But there's always a chance..."

"Fuck that! You know, Ben knew what he was doing when he decided to be with you. He was brave enough to take the risk. Why can't you?"

"Because I'm scared, Brian. And it's not just about being with him. I kept thinking about something else when I held the condoms in my hand. Something that happened to me when I was with David."

"David? Shit! I thought we're done with that asshole! What about him?"

"It... it happened before I found out he was cheating on me. Look, I don't want to talk about this now."

"No! We are going to talk about it NOW. Let's get it over with once and for all."

"It happened on New Year's Eve, two years ago..."

~~~~~~~

Ben couldn't get any sleep last night. He kept thinking about what had happened, about Michael. Why did he leave? Why did he look so scared after he went to the bathroom? Maybe it was too early. Maybe Michael wasn't ready to take a step ahead. Maybe. Ben couldn't think anymore. He had a splitting headache. He felt like his head was about to explode. He was about to fall asleep when he heard the doorbell rang.

"Morning, Professor!"

"Brian, what are you doing here?"

"No time to explain. Get your coat. We're going somewhere."

"Where are we going?"

"I told you, I don't have time! Now just shut up and get your coat!"

Ben was too tired to argue. He grabbed his coat and followed Brian like a robot.

~~~~~~~

Michael was just finished taking a shower when he heard Brian coming home from work. Brian offered to take him home last night but Michael insisted on staying here. He wasn't ready to face his mother yet. He couldn't bear to watch the disappointment on her face again.

"Mikey?" He heard Brian calling his name from the living room.

"I'm in here." Michael stepped out of the bathroom and grabbed a t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants that he borrowed from Brian. He was having a hard time keeping his eyes open because he had spent the night thinking about Ben.

Brian walked into his room to see Michael was ready to go to bed.

"How are you feeling?"

"Tired. And sleepy. How's your day?"

"Fine. Look, don't get angry okay? There's someone here to see you."

Michael gritted his teeth. He specifically told Brian not to tell anyone about where he was. "Fuck, Brian! I thought I told you not to tell anyone about me!"

Brian rolled his eyes. "Will you stop whining like a baby and come out and see him."

"Him? Oh, God! Brian, no!" Michael felt his heart start beating faster.

Brian sat beside Michael and grabbed his hand. "Just go and talk to him, okay?"

Michael walked slowly into the living room and saw Ben sitting on the couch, waiting for him. He took his time to study Ben's perfect form that he loved so much.

"Ben?" Michael managed to choke out. The tremble in his voice was obvious.

"Hi, Michael." Ben got up from the couch. He walked towards Michael until they are standing face to face. He felt the urge to wrap his hands around the man in front of him but he wasn't sure it was the right thing to do.

"I'm sorry about last night."

"No, Michael, I'M sorry. I shouldn't have forced you to do anything you weren't ready for. It's all my fault."

"Ben, it's not your fault. It's not you. It's me. I got scared. When I held the condoms in my hand, I started thinking about all possibilities, what would happen if I decided to go for it, and it freaked me out." Michael couldn't control his emotion anymore. He buried his face on Ben's shoulder and started to his body started to shake uncontrobally.

Ben wrapped his arms around Michael's trembling body and held him tightly. "Shhh, Michael. It's going to be all right. I'm here for you, now. I'm not going anywhere."

They sat on the couch and continued holding each other for a while. Michael looked up at the man embracing him. "Ben, there's something I have to tell you."

"What is it?"

"When I was in the bathroom, I had this flashback about my life when I was with David, My ex-boyfriend."

"Michael, you don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to."

"No, I want to. I've been keeping this for so long and I want you to know about it."

"Okay, Michael. Just take your time."

Michael took a deep breath. He grabbed Ben's hand and squeezed it tightly, hoping to find some courage inside of him.

~~~~~~~

New Year's Eve,
Two years ago...

Portland, Oregon

Michael turned on the shower sleepily. He knew if he didn't take a shower right away, he'd fall asleep again. He had been up all night waiting for David to come home. They had a big fight last night about some stupid stuff again. It started out when Michael complained about his job and how he missed being with his friends and family back in Pittsburgh. Then David started making rude remarks about them that made Michael snap. David lost his temper and started yelling and cursing at Michael. And, as usual, it ended up with David storming out of the house, leaving Michael all alone.

Michael waited for him until four a.m. When he woke up this morning, David still hadn't come back yet. He tried to call him on the cell phone but it was switched off. Michael was getting a bit worried and decided to take a shower to calm himself down.

Michael's body jerked when he felt cold fingers trailing his spine.

"Ah, Shit! David, you scared the shit out of me!" He panted heavily under the shower.

"I'm sorry, Michael. I didn't mean to scare you. Hey, isn't too early to take a shower?"

"I was planning to go to the police station to report a missing person. Where the hell were you?"

"I went for a drive and had a few drink."

"A few? David, you're drunk!"

"No, I'm not. Well, maybe a little. So, did you miss me?" David gave Michael a devilish smile.

"You mean did I miss the jerk who called my mom a fat bitch? No, I don't think so!" Michael turned his back on David and continued to take his shower.

"Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I was so pissed when you kept complaining about your job and your friends every day, I lost my cool. I promise it won't happen again."

"Yeah, right!" Michael snorted.

"Come on, pumpkin. Let me make it up to you." David joined Michael in the shower fully clothed. He turned him around and gave a deep kiss that left both of them breathless. Michael's anger slowly disappeared under David's touch.

Michael moaned when David's hand found his cock and started to stroke it slowly. Reluctantly, he pulled away and started ripping off his boyfriend's shirt hungrily. He threw it on the floor and moved his attention to David's jeans. He popped the button open and didn't even bother to pull down the zipper before diving inside to grab his favourite toy. He found what he was looking for and a gave it a firm grip.

"Rise and shine, doc!" Michael started pumping until he heard David moaned with pleasure. He looked at his lover seductively. "You're way too overdressed for the occasion."

"Oh, yeah?" David panted under his breath. "What are you going to do about it?" he dared Michael.

"This..." Instantly, Michael got on his knees and pulled David's wet denim pants all the way down. He took the delicious girth into his mouth and started sliding his talented tongue up and down the shaft.

David laced his fingers through Michael's hair, savouring the moment. Suddenly, he couldn't take it anymore and pulled Michael back to his feet. He gently twirl him around and started kissing his bare back.

Michael rested his forehead against the bathroom wall, trying to control his breathing. He bit his lip when he felt David's finger enter him. The sensual assault was too much to handle. He began to move to match the movement of David's finger.

"Aaah! David, please... fuck me!"

David pulled out his finger and contiued kissing Michael's neck. Michael gasped loudly when he felt the tip of David's cock entering him. He was stunned when he felt an unfamiliar sensation from the penetration. Suddenly he realised that David was fucking him bare!

"David, you didn't..."

"No, baby. I didn't."

When Michael realised what David was doing to him, he struggled to free himself but David grabbed his wrists and pinned him against the wall.

"David, no..." Michael writhed in pain when David strengthened his grip.

He licked Michael's earlobe and whispered, "Please, Michael, let me do this. I need this..."

"But David... Oh, God!" Michael's protest fell short when David began thrusting faster and faster.

"Oh, Michael! This feels so good!"

"David... aah..."

In the midst of fear and doubt, Michael finally succumbed to the new sensation of David's naked cock rubbing and thrusting inside him. It was a sheer bliss. He never knew bare backing could feel this good!

It didn't take long for both of them to come. David rested his head on Michael's back before pulling out. Michael turned around to give his lover a kiss before grabbing a towel to dry himself and left David to finish his shower. He left the bathroom with a big smile on his face.

Meanwhile, David stood still under the shower, staring down blankly at the bathroom tiles.

~~~~~~~

Michael wiped the tears from his cheek. He was glad he had told Ben about it. It was like a huge burden had been lifted off his shoulders. "So, now you know that I'm not a very smart person."

"Don't say that about yourself, Michael. It's not really your fault. You trusted him. So you made a mistake. So what?"

"Yeah. And it's a price that I have to pay for the rest of my pathetic life."

Ben caressed Michael's cheek with his fingers. "Michael, you have got to stop blaming yourself. You have to move on with your life and start thinking about the future."

"That's another thing I'm afraid of. Do I have one?"

"You know what I think? I think you should stop regretting the past and fearing the future. Take one step at a time and live in the now."

"That sounds like a plan to me. Well,Benjamin Bruckner, will you come and experience the now with me?"

"Every step of the way, Michael Novotny."

They held each other closely until they fell asleep on Brian's couch.

Part 11

"I can't believe it." Brian shook his head. Michael rolled his eyes."Let it go, Brian."

"Let me get this straight. I left you two alone and what did you do? You fell asleep on the couch! You guys are so pathetic!"

"Excuse me? You hardly even left! You were right there in your bedroom!"

"Yeah. So?"

"Pervert!" Michael scowled and walked out of the kitchen.

Still refusing to let go of the subject, Brian followed closely behind. "Seriously, Mikey. Is that the real reason why you couldn't do it? Because I was here?"

"That would be one of reasons. Yeah!"

"And the other one?"

"Well, we've only been on a date once. I don't think I'm ready to take the next step just yet."

"Riiight..." Brian responded with sarcasm.

"I'm serious, Bri. I don't want to make another mistake like I did with David. I just need more time."

"Fine. You do what you have to do but don't let your boyfriend wait for too long. I'm tellin' ya, he is one horny dude right now." Brian said matter-of-factly as he took a sip of his coffee.

"Yes, I realize that. And I have to say, he's not the only one." Michael grinned sheepishly.

"Then what the fuck are you waiting for?"

"I need to sort out something first."

"What are you going to do?"

"Something I should've done a long time ago." Brian was stunned when Michael leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, Something he hadn't done in years.

"Thanks for everything, Brian. I owe you one." Michael flashed a smile at his best friend. He grabbed his jacket and left Brian alone in his loft.

~~~~~~~

Michael walked slowly into the living room. The house looked empty and he prayed to God that his mom was not around. He walked into the kitchen and saw his uncle was making some sandwiches. Vic turned around when he heard Michael's approaching footsteps.

"Hey, big guy!"

"Hey, Uncle Vic."

"So, how was your day?"

"Great. Where's Ma?" Michael craned his neck around to make sure his mother was not around.

"Oh, you just missed her. She went to the diner about fifteen minutes ago. I gotta warn you, she's pretty anxious to know about you and Ben after you guys left the other day."

"Yeah, I know. There's not much to tell actually. Nothing really happen." Michael sat at the dining table and looked away with downcast eyes.

Sensing the sadness in his nephew's expression, Vic put away his meal and sat next to him. "Wanna talk about it?"

Michael fought back his tears. "I... I couldn't do it."

Vic paused for a few second and then nodded his head knowingly. "Oh."

"Pretty pathetic, huh?"

"Don't say that. You're just not ready. That's all."

"Uncle Vic, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, Michael."

"How did you do it?"

"Did what?"

"How did you get on with your life... you know, after you found out you were..."

"Positive?"

Michael let out a chuckle. "It's funny when even after all those years I'm still not comfortable saying the word out loud."

Vic paused for a few second to think of the right word to say to Michael. "You know, when I found out I was positive, I was devastated. I was so angry. I kept thinking, why is this happening to me? I started blaming everybody. I blamed the guy who infected me, I blamed God, and, most of the time, I blamed myself for being so careless; so stupid. But as time went by, I realized being angry just won't change anything. It won't go away. You just have to learn to live with it."

"I don't know if I can do that." Tears started welling up in Michael's eyes.

"Of course you can, Michael. Just find a reason to forgive."

"Forgive?"

"Yeah. Forgive yourself. Give yourself a chance to trust someone again."

Michael couldn't control his emotions anymore. He reached out for Vic and broke down. Vic held his nephew and stroke his hair gently. He could feel Michael's body trembling as he held him tighter.

After a few moments, the emotions began to subside and Michael felt a little calmer. He pull away from Vic and wiped his tears. "Uncle Vic, I'm sorry I didn't come and talk to you about this before."

Vic smiled as he caressed Michael's cheek with his fingers. "That's okay. I understand. I knew you'd come and talk to me when you are ready. And I'm glad you did."

"Thank you, Uncle Vic."

"You're welcome, son. Always."

~~~~~~~

"What?" Brian shrieked. He was so shocked, the cell phone almost slipped off his hand. Oblivious to the curious stares from the customers in the diner, he shot up from the booth and started pacing frantically.

"You heard me, Brian. I'm going back to Portland."

"Are you out of your fucking mind?" Hh screamed to the phone again.

"No, I'm not. I've been thinking about it all night. I have to do this, Brian."

"Mikey, this is crazy!"

"No, it's not. I've been avoiding it for so long. I think it's time for me to talk to him face to face."

"Okay, whatever. Just tell me where you are right now. I'm coming to pick you up."

"Why?"

"I'm going with you."

"No, you're not."

"Oh, yes I am. There's no way I'm going to let you go back there all by yourself."

"No. You're not. I'm going alone."

"Yes, I fucking am. Jesus, Mikey. Stop being so stubborn!"

"You can't, Brian. I'm already at the airport and the plane is leaving in ten minutes. You're not going to make it."

Brian gritted his teeth. "Fine. I'll take the next flight."

"No. I have to do this on my own."

"But..."

"Trust me on this."

And for the first time in his entire life, Brian seemed to have lost his talent to argue with Michael. "All right, Mikey. I trust you. Just promise me you'll come back."

"Don't be ridiculous, Bri. Of course I'm coming back."

"Promise me."

"I promise. And tell my mom for me okay?"

"Don't worry about that. I'll take care of her. Good luck, Mikey. Love ya."

"Thanks, Bri. Love you too. Bye."

Brian was dumbfounded. He was still trying to convince himself what had just happened. His best friend was finally going to face his past to vanquish the demon that had been haunting his life for years. Brian would't be there to witness it but somehow, he accepted that it was something that Michael had to do alone. Brian was startled when suddenly Debbie seemed to appear out of nowhere.

"Was that Michael on the phone?"

"Jeez, Debbie. Stop sneaking up on me like that! You're going to give me a heart attack!" Brian sat back on his chair. His mind started racing to find the right word to explain to her about Michael.

"You didn't answer my question. Was that my son on the phone?"

"Huh? Oh...yeah, that was him. Debbie, there's something I need to talk to you about Mikey. But first, let's put this away for you." Brian carefully took the hot coffee pot from Debbie's hand and placed it on the counter. "And this potentially hazardous stabbing device," He took a pencil from Debbie apron pocket and threw it away as far as he could.

He took another look around to make sure that the environment was finally safe for him. Rubbing his palms nervously, he started talking, "Debbie, whatever it is I'm about to tell you, just remember, I have absolutely nothing to do with it, okay?"

~~~~~~~

Michael hung up the phone and let out a heavy breath. He was a little nervous about going back to Portland, but deep down in his heart, he knew he was ready to do it. He turned around to see Ben approaching him with a plane ticket in his hand.

"Here's your ticket. Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

"Well, I thought about taking you with me and flaunting you in front of David, but I don't think that is such a good idea. I appreciate the offer though."

"How long will you be going?"

"I don't know. Right now, I don't even know what to say when I get to see him."

"A simple 'Hi' would be a good start."

"I don't know, Ben. I don't think I can do this."

Ben took Michael's hand and held it tightly. "Are you still angry with him?"

"Angry. Scared. Confused. Wanna pick one for me?"

"I'm sure you'll think of something. Just don't do anything I wouldn't do." Ben cocked his eyebrow and grinned.

"I'm not going to sleep with him if that's what you mean."

"I know. I'm just kidding. Come here, you," Ben pulled Michael into his arms and gave him a kiss. Michael responded by hooking his arms around his boyfriend's neck, pulling him closer.

The kiss lingered on for a few moments and neither one seemed to want to let go of each other. Eventually they had to stop when they heard the announcement for Michael to board the plane.

"God, why do you have to be such a good kisser?" Michael panted under his breath.

"It's something for you to remember while you're away."

"Don't worry, I'll never forget THAT!" Michael blushed.

As Michael was about to leave, Ben placed a small envelope in his jacket pocket. "What's this?"

"Don't open it until you're on the plane. Now, I know it's a little early, but I'm not pressuring you. I just want you to know that you can use it anytime you want, okay?" He looked deeply into Michael's eyes and gave another kiss.

"Okay." Michael answered slowly. Reluctantly, he willed himself away from Ben and started walking backwards, eyes still locked on him. They waved at each other while Ben watched until Michael's figure disappeared in the crowd.

Michael adjusted his seat and placed his jacket on his lap. Suddenly he remembered about the envelope that Ben had just given him. He carefully opened it and was stunned to see the contents. It was a key to Ben's apartment.

~~~~~~~

Michael took a sip of his coffee and glanced at his watch. He had been roaming around the airport for the past two hours, trying to decide what to do next. Or maybe he was just trying to find some courage to face the man he used to love a long time ago.

He spent the hours looking at people passing by. His mind raced back to the day he first met David. It was love at first sight for him. He realized now that he was not really in love with him. He was just lonely and desperate to find someone he could hold on to. He gave up his life and left his family and friends just to be with David because he thought it was the right thing to do. And when he found out that David cheated on him, the world crumbled around him. He had lost the will to love and trust again.

But then, there was Ben. He came into Michael's life and changed everything. The way Ben held him and looked into his eyes had given Michael the strength to move on and start a new life.

"That's it! I'm gonna go and face that asshole and then get the fuck outta here!" Michael mumbled to himself. He threw the coffee cup, stepped out of the airport, and waved for a cab.

Michael pushed the door slowly as he entered the clinic. He could see a few people sitting on the sofa, waiting for their turn to see the doctor. *This looks familiar* Michael thought to himself. He walked to the reception to talk to the nurse behind the counter. "Excuse me. I'm here to see Dr. David Cameron. Is he in?"

The blonde, middle aged nurse smiled at him and answered, "Yes, he is. Do you have an appointment?"

"Oh, no. I'm just dropping by to see him."

"I see. Should I tell him you're here?"

"No, that's okay. I want it to be a surprise."

"All right, sir. He's attending some patients right now. Have a seat and I'll let you know when he's done."

"Thank you."

Michael looked around the room and took a seat on a sofa near the counter. He reached for a magazine on a rack and absently flipped through it to calm himself.

"So what's your story?" Michael looked up and saw a young woman smiling at him. She was sitting in an awkward position and seemed to be in pain every time she tried to move.

"Uh... no, actually, I'm just an old friend, just dropping by to say hi."

The lady shifted and hissed in pain when she tried to cross her leg. "Shit! My back is killing me!"

"Are you okay?"

"Not really. I fell off a ladder last night. I was putting up some stocks at work and then bam!"

Michael nodded his head knowingly. "I know exactly how it feels."

She got up gingerly when it was her turn to see the doctor. "Good luck." Michael smiled at her as he watched her entered the doctor's room.

Ten minutes later, she came out of the room, walking on a crutch. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah. The doc said I had a slipped disc. I'll be fine in a few weeks. Hey, I don't mean to sound so desperate, but is your friend single? He is so gorgeous!" Michael was startled by the woman's direct approach.

"Uhm... I'm... not sure. I haven't seen him in a while." He laughed nervously.

"Oh, that's okay. I'll ask him on my next visit. I'll see you, uhm..."

"Michael."

"Michael. I'm Jayne. Hey, I work at The Q-Mart downtown. Look me up if you go there. Maybe you could tell me more about the doc. I can give you discounts." She winked at Michael.

"Q-Mart? Yeah, sure." Michael felt a chill in his spine.

"See ya, Mike."

"See ya." Michael watched as his new friend Jayne left the room. *This is getting fucking creepy.*

~~~~~~~

David stretched to work the kinks on his back. He had been attending his patients since morning and he was ready to go home. Sylvia, the senior nurse, knocked on the door. "Excuse me, doctor, there's someone here to see you."

"Who is it?"

"He said he's an old friend of yours."

"Very well. Send him in."

A few moments later, David heard a knock on the door. "Come on in." He was writing something on his notepad and when he looked up, he had a shock of his life. "Michael?"

David quickly got up from his chair and walked towards his former lover. Before he could do anything, Michael swung his fist and it landed on his left jaw. David felt the world spinning around him. When he opened his eyes, he saw Michael looking down at him with a clenched fist.

"That's for turning my life into a living hell!"

Part 12

"Shit!" Michael cried out, rubbing his fist. He had never hit anybody before and it hurt like hell! It was never his intention to hit David, but when he saw his face, anger overcame him. He didn't even know where he got the strength to send David sprawling to the floor.

A few seconds went by and David still hadn't move from his spot. He was still stunned from the blow he had just received from Michael. He gingerly got up and leaned against his table for support. He couldn't believe his former boyfriend just burst into his clinic and whacked him in the face.

Michael finally spoke out. "Are okay?"

"Uh, yeah. I think so."

"Does it still hurt?"

David winced when his fingers touched the sore spot. "Oh, yeah."

"Good!" Michael flashed a brief smile at his former lover. With ragged breath, he dropped his bags and took a seat on the chair with a satisfied look on his face.

When David was sure that all the hostility was gone, he dragged his chair and sat across Michael. He took his time to study the face he had been missing for the past two years. It seemed to him that Michael had lost a little weight but he still looked gorgeous.

Michael glared at him."Stop staring at me."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything I did, Michael," David said remorsefully.

"Don't!" Michael interjected. "Don't say that. I didn't come all the way from Pittsburgh just to hear you say you're sorry!"

"Then what do you want me to say? That I wanted this to happen?"

"Didn't you? Fuck, David! Did I do something wrong? All the sex you had with me wasn't enough, so you had to go to the bathhouse and fuck everybody there?"

"Michael, I..."

"After all that you did to me, at least you owe me a fucking explaination, God damn it!"

David swallowed a lump in his throat. He took a deep breath and tried to control his tears from coming down. "I don't know, Michael. I guess I was scared. I was scared of losing you. Since the day you moved in with me, all you ever talked about was missing Pittsburgh and you friends. Especially Brian. Every time I heard that name, it... it really pissed me of. So, everytime we had a fight, I went to the bath house and fucked somebody's brains out. Sometimes I was so angry, I didn't even bother to put a condom on. I didn't even care. I thought I was invincible. I was stupid enough to think that it would never happen to me."

"And then you came home and fucked me."Michael shook his head. "You fucked me bare, David!"

"I know! What I did was wrong. You didn't deserve it. I swear to God, Michael. If only I could turn back time, I would undo everything that I did to you."

"But you can't. You're not God. You're just... human." Michael answered softly.

"Oh, God! I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." With his head in his hand, David cried heavily.

Michael felt a tug in his heart. A few moments ago, he had felt his anger was about to burst. But now, as he watched David cry like a lost child, he felt sorry for him. He reached out and embraced his former lover. David buried his face deeper on Michael's shoulder and continued crying.

"David." Michael took a deep breath and held David's face in his hands. "I forgive you."

All of a sudden, Michael felt a huge weight was lifted off his shoulders. Uncle Vic was right. He felt so relieved after he uttered those words to David. He felt like he was ready to face the world now.

"Michael, I don't deserve your forgiveness," David said between sobs.

"Of course you do. Like I said, you're just human. Everybody makes mistakes sometimes."

"So, you're not angry with me anymore?"

"Nah. It's too exhausting to stay angry at someone for so long. In fact, if it weren't for you, I wouldn't be who I am right now."

David gave Michael a confused look. "What do you mean?"

"If you hadn't screwed up, I'd still be the loser working at the Q-Mart here in Portland. And I wouldn't have had the guts to follow my dreams to run a comic bookstore and create my own superhero. I guess I'm grateful for what you did to me...in a pretty fucked up twist of fate."

David had stopped crying and wiped his tears. "Michael, I didn't do anything except fuck up your life. You did it on your own. It took guts to do what you did. I'm proud of you."

Michael paused for a while. "Yeah, I did it, didn't I?"

"You know, Hank is a big fan of your comic."

"Really?"

"Oh, yeah. He was pretty devastated when you left. He had stopped talking to me and started spending most of his time in his room reading all of your comic book collection over and over again. I was beginning to worry and even considered to taking him to see a shrink. But then one day, he came home and showed me this new comic book he had just bought and pointed out the name of the creator. He showed me your name, Michael. You should've seen his face. He was beaming with pride."

Michael smiled as he tried to imagine Hank's expression in his head. "I always told him about my dream to create my own superhero and save the world. We talked about it almost every night."

"He really misses you, you know."

"I know. I've seen him."

"You've seen him? When?"

"Last spring. He came by my store and we had a little chat. It didn't go too well though."

"What happened?"

"Well, he showed up out of the blue and I didn't know what to do. I guess I wasn't ready to talk. So he left."

"That little brat. He told me he was going to see his girlfriend in New York."

"Girlfriend? So he's straight."

"Maybe. But with my track record, you never know!"

"Right." Michael nodded his head and then they both burst into laughter.

"God, after all that happened, I can't believe you still wanna talk to me."

"Oh, no. Don't get me wrong. I still think you're the biggest jerk in the world. But right now, I just want to put it all behind me and move on with my life."

"So, who's the lucky guy?"

Michael was caught off guard by David's question. "What? How... how did you know there's a guy?"

David grinned. "I didn't until you told me just now." He noticed that Michael started to blush.

"Well... uh...he...uhm... Ben is a professor at Carnegie Mellon."

"A professor? Wow! Is he hot?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but yeah, he's hot. And smart, funny, charming, and gentle. And that's all I'm gonna say. What about you? Are you seeing anyone?"

"No, not really. Went out on a couple of dates but nothing serious. I haven't slept with anyone since you left."

"Yeah. Well, welcome to the club, doc," Michael said sarcastically. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get going." Michael grabbed his bags and made his way to the door.

"Wait a minute. You're going? But you just got here."

"David, I came here to talk and I'm glad we did. Now it's time for me to move on and I suggest you do the same."

"So, you're going back to Pittsburgh?"

"I'm thinking about taking a detour to L.A." Michael smiled. "I'm planning to visit an old friend."

"I wish you could stay a little longer."

"Maybe some other time. Goodbye, David."

"Goodbye, Michael. Have a nice life."

Michael took a step forward and reached out to hug David. The two former lovers shared a brief, silent moment before they let go of each other. Michael pointed at David's bruised face. "What are you going to tell your staff about that?"

"Oh, don't worry about it. Once they found out who you are, they'll understand."

Michael widen his eyes."What?"

"Oh, yeah. They know about our story. Believe me, my staff are rooting for you."

Michael snickered and shook his head in disbelief as he made his way to the door.

~~~~~~~

A few days later...

Ben practically dragged his feet to climb the stairs to his apartment. He had spent the day marking term papers and all he wanted to do now was to get out of his clothes, take a hot shower, and then spend the rest of the night thinking about Michael.

It had been three days since Michael had left and already Ben missed him so much. How could he miss someone he had only known for a few weeks? He had never felt like this before. Was he falling in love with Michael? Maybe that was it. Love. He had to admit that when he first saw Michael, it was love at first sight. He knew Michael was different and the fact that Michael was HIV-positive didn't really bother him at all.

Ben realized his future with Michael was not going to be an easy ride. When he told his friends about Michael's medical condition, most of them told him to dump Michael and save himself from the unnecessary pain. But it was too late to turn back now. He was falling head over heels for Michael. So what if they had to be careful every time they were together? It was a risk he was willing to take. And he would rather go through that with someone he really loved than to have a superficial relationship that only lasted a few weeks or months.

Ben turned the key and opened the door slowly. He flicked the light switch on and threw his jacket and keys on the coffee table. Suddenly he realized that he wasn't the only one in the room. He tiptoed slowly towards the living room and his heart leapt when he recognised the man sleeping on his couch. "Michael?" Ben smiled when he heard Michael snore softly. He leaned over and caressed Michael's face lightly.

Michael stirred from his sleep when he felt the warmth of Ben's touch. He covered Ben's hand with his and opened his eyes. "Hey."

"Hey, Michael. Why didn't you tell me you were coming back? I could've picked you up at the airport."

"I wanted it to be a surprise."

Ben laughed. "It sure is."

"I'm not ready to go home and face my mother yet and I didn't know where else to go. Then I remembered about the little envelope you gave me. I hope you don't mind."

"No, no. Not at all. I'm glad you came. You must be really tired. Go back to sleep."

Michael nodded sleepily as he let go of Ben's hand.

"Welcome back, Michael." Ben kissed Michael's forehead as he watched him falling back to sleep again. He slowly got up and walked towards the bathroom to take his shower. And this time he needed a cold one.

~~~~~~~

Michael turned to his side and cuddled deeper into the warmth of the blanket covering his body. The couch was so soft he felt like sleeping a little longer. His eyes shot open when he realized he was no longer on the couch. He sat up slowly and rubbed his bleary eyes. Suddenly he noticed that he was naked under the blanket. He quickly wrapped himself with the blanket and walked out of the room to look for Ben. He walked into the kitchen to see Ben was busy preparing dinner.

Ben smiled at him."Hey, you're up. How was your sleep?"

"I haven't slept like that in years. Uh... how did I end up in your bedroom?"

"Well, I couldn't let you sleep on the couch so I carried you there. And you looked really uncomfortable in your clothes... so I took them off . I hope you don't mind."

Michael started to blush as he tried to picture himself being carried in Ben's strong arms and being undressed by him. He really wished he had been awake when it had happened. "No, not at all. I've been wearing those clothes for days anyway. Which reminds me, can I use you shower? I stink."

"Michael, I gave you the key to this apartment so that you could come here anytime you want to. That also means you don't have ask for my permission every time you want to use the bathroom."

"I know. I'm sorry."

And stop apologizing. You didn't do anything wrong. Now go and take you shower. Dinner will be ready in ten minutes."

Good. I'm starving. I haven't eaten since I got off the plane."

There are some fresh towels and a bathrobe in the linen closet. You can wear my clothes if you want to. Just look for them in the dresser by the bed."

I will. And Ben...?"

Yes, Michael?"

Thank you. For everything."

Once again Ben gave Michael an earth-shattering smile that almost made Michael drop the blanket to the floor. He held his breath to regain his composure and turned to take his shower.

~~~~~~~

After dinner, they sat on the couch as Michael told Ben about his trip. He shared the story of his detour to UCLA to visit his old friend and biggest fan, Hank. He saved the details of his visit to David for last.

So you just went in there and punched him in the face?"

"Yup. You have no idea how good it felt! And the look he had on his face, priceless!" Michael giggled animatedly.

Ben stared at the man sitting in front of him in awe. He could've sworn that Michael's face was glowing. It made him even more beautiful. "So, how do you feel right now?"

"Relieved. After telling David that I forgave him, I felt like this huge boulder had been lifted off my shoulders. I'm ready now, Ben. I'm ready to move on."

Ben caressed Michael's face with his fingers. "No more regrets?"

"No more regrets." Michael leaned over and locked his lips on Ben's. It started out with feather light kisses but Michael knew it wasn't enough when he felt Ben slip his hands under his top and started kneading the muscles of his back. Michael let out a soft moan when Ben gripped his hips, pulling their bodies closer. Michael broke away from the kiss and shifted his body to straddle Ben .

Ben groaned loudly when Michael sat slowly on his lap, causing an intense pressure on his already hard cock. He pulled Michael by the neck, demanding another kiss. This time, he slipped his tongue into Michael's hungry mouth, exploring the moist cavern he had been yearning to taste for so long.

Ben let out another groan when once again Michael broke away from the kiss. Michael gave Ben a lustful look. "Make love to me."

Part 13

Michael devoured Ben's hot and hungry mouth. Their tongues collided and danced like fire as their hands began to move, caressing and exploring each other with each touch.

Ben let out a soft hiss when Michael pulled himself away to take off his shirt. Seizing the moment, Ben pulled Michael back towards him and buried his face against Michael's neck.

Michael let out a loud moan when Ben started nibbling and sucking the exposed skin around his neck. He grabbed a handful of Ben's hair and gripped it tighter every time Ben started sucking a little harder.

With one swift move, Ben got up from the couch, carefully carrying Michael in his arms. Michael responded by wrapping his legs tightly around Ben's waist as they made their way to the bedroom.

Michael didn't know how long it took for them to reach the bedroom but when his back touched the bed, he opened his eyes and found Ben standing above him, panting and looking down at him. "Don't move. I'll be right back."

Michael nodded silently as he watched Ben dash towards the bathroom. He closed his eyes and tried to control his breathing. He still couldn't believe what was happening. In a few moments they were about to take their relationship to  a new level and nothing would ever be the same again. He hadn't made love to anyone for a very long time and at this moment his heart was racing so fast that his chest began to hurt a little. When he lifted his hand to wipe the cold sweat from his forehead, he noticed that his hands were trembling. He licked his lips and was surprised by how dry his mouth was. He blindly slipped out of his pants and waited for Ben to return.

Michael felt the bed shift and, when he opened his eyes, he saw the most beautiful sight he had ever seen. Ben was hovering above him, gloriously naked and staring at him with lustful eyes. Michael almost lost his last vestiges of control when Ben leaned over to kiss him, causing their naked bodies to touch. With trembling hands, Michael traced every inch of Ben's back  and was elated when Ben reciprocated.

Ben moved to straddle Michael and reached out to the nightstand for a condom and lube.

Suddenly Michael bolted upright and grabbed Ben's hand.

"Ben, wait."

"What is it, Michael?"

"I... I want you to be very sure about this."

Ben saw a tinge of worry in Michael's expression that made him smile. He cupped Michael's chin and kissed his forehead softly. "I've never been so sure in my entire life," Ben whispered slowly in his ear.

With a newfound confidence, Michael took the condom from Ben's hand and unwrapped it. He circled Ben's leaking cock with his hand and sheated it. "I'm ready." Lying back on the bed, he waited for Ben.

Ben felt like he was going to come right then and there just from drinking in Michael's beautiful body sprawled in front of him. Slowly he crawled up and blanketed Michael's body with his own. Placing Michael's legs on his shoulders, Ben used his lubed finger to probe Michael's entrance. Instantly, he could feel Michael's body tense up. He used his free hand to massage Michael's thigh, offering silent reasssurence that everything would be all right.

Michael squeezed his eyes shut and held his breath when he felt Ben's finger entering him slowly. It had been a while for him and the pain was almost like the first time. Grabbing a handful of sheet, Michael bit his lower lip and waited for the inevitable. Surprisingly, the pain quickly subsided as Ben's started pumping his finger slowly. When Ben penetrated him with a second finger, Michael's need grew. Thrusting his hips to match Ben's fingers, Michael arched his back, signaling that he was ready for more.

Michael let out a whimper when Ben replaced his fingers with his rock hard cock.

Ben moaned softly when he felt the tightness of Michael's passage around his cock. He stopped his movement when he was fully wedged inside and waited for Michael's body to relax. "Are you okay?" he whispered.

"I'm... I'm fine. Oh, God, Ben! Please, don't stop! I want you so much!" Michael drove his hips forward, urging his lover to do the same.

Leaning down to kiss Michael, Ben started to move his hips and soon their bodies writhed in unison. He pumped into Michael faster and faster as he felt his sweat running down his back.

Ben became giddy at the sound of Michael begging him to go faster and deeper. He slowed his pace and touched Michael's face. "Michael..."

In the midst of his ecstasy, Michael struggled to keep his eyes open.

"I... I love you."

And with sharp cry of pleasure, Michael felt his body convulse in the most intense orgasm of his entire life. Ben gave a final thrust and reached his own climax inside Michael. For a moment, time stood still and neither one of them made an effort to move. Finally, Ben pulled himself out of Michael's limp body and rolled over to his side. He turned and saw Michael crying with his face buried in his hands.

"Michael? Baby, are you okay?"

Still sobbing, Michael shook his head.

"What is it? Did I hurt you?"

"You said... You said you love me."

"Yes, I did. I'm sorry if I freaked you out, but I mean it Michael," Ben peeled Michael's hand from his face and wiped his tears. "I love you."

Once again, Michael burst into tears. He wrapped his arms around Ben and kissed him. "Oh, God! I love you too, Ben. I love you. I love you so much!"

After a few minutes, Michael had stopped crying and they lay in bed with Ben spooned closely behind Michael's body. Suddenly Ben heard Michael giggling.

"What's so funny?"

Michael turned and grinned at his lover."You called me baby."

"Do you like it?"

Michael nodded his head eagerly. "Oh, yeah. It sounded so sexy hearing it from you. But I still don't have a pet name for you."

Ben pulled Michael on top of him and rested his palm on the well rounded orb of Michael's bottom. "No rush. We still have all night to think about it. Are you up for more?"

Michael licked Ben's ear and whispered, "Ready when you are, Professor."

~~~~~~~

After brushing his teeth, Vic decided to go to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee for himself. Ever since Michael had left, his sister seemed to have stopped functioning as human being. She had been spending most of the time sulking in her room and waiting for her son to come home. He could understand her anxiety. She was just being a mother who was always concerned about her son's well being. But somehow Vic knew that everything would turn out all right. Michael had been through hell and back and  he came back as a stronger person. Michael would be fine. One day Michael would come home and...

With a gaping jaw, Vic stared at the two figures moving around in front of him. He rubbed his eyes a few times, just to make sure that he wasn't dreaming. Without saying a single word, he turned, headed back to Debbie's room, and knocked on the door. "Debbie, are you up yet?"

"No."

"You're not going to believe what I just saw in the kitchen."

"Vic, I told you, I'm still sleeping. Leave me alone!"

"Oh, for crying out loud, would you just come out and see this?"

Debbie opened the door and scowled at her brother. "This better be good!" she mumbled to herself as she followed closely behind Vic.

"Believe me, Sis. It's going to blow you away."

As soon as they reached downstairs, they heard the sound of talking and laughing coming from the kitchen. Vic had been right. She could not believe what she was seeing. Michael and his boyfriend, Ben, were busy preparing breakfast.

"What the fuck is this?" Debbie managed to choke out.

Michael turned and smiled at his mother and uncle. "Good morning everyone. I hope you're hungry. Ben and I made some breakfast."

Suddenly Debbie marched over to her son and slapped him across his face. "I'm going back to bed." She whipped around and stomped back to her bedroom.

Ben was stunned. He wanted to speak up, but being a relatively stranger in the house, he didn't know exactly what to say to Michael. He gently put his arm around Michael's shoulder. "Are you okay?"

Michael rubbed his sore cheek and nodded slowly. "Yeah, I'm fine. She seemed pretty pissed."

"Maybe you should go and talk to her."

"Maybe I should. Excuse me." Michael ran up the stairs to look for his mother.

"I bet you didn't see that one coming." Vic smiled at Ben as he took a sip of his coffee.

"I guess so. Are they going to be all right?"

"I wouldn't worry about it. Debbie can be pretty rough sometimes but that's just the way she shows her affection. I'm sure they'll work things out. In the meantime let's sit down and have breakfast. I'm starving."

~~~~~~~

Debbie quickly grabbed the blanket and covered her head when she heard the door creak open.

"Ma?"

"I don't want to talk to you. Go away." The blanket muffled her voice.

"Come on, Ma. Stop being such a baby. Talk to me. Please."

Debbie burst forth from under the blanket and furiously shoved Michael off the bed. "What do you want me to say, huh? A few days ago, you left this house with Ben and then the next thing I know, you were already on a plane back to Portland! Four fucking days and not a single fucking call! And you didn't even have the guts to tell me about it. You let Brian to do the dirty work, you little shit!" Debbie gritted her teeth as she tried to control her emotions.

"I'm so sorry, Ma.I wanted to but I knew you wouldn't let me go if I told you about it." He started feeling worse when he noticed his mother was about to cry.

"Jesus, Michael. I thought you weren't coming back. I thought I was going to lose you again."

Michael felt a tug in his heart when he saw tears started streaming down his mother's cheeks. "I'm so sorry. I'm really, really sorry, Ma."

Debbie wiped his tears before smacking her son in the head.

"Ow! What the hell was that for?"

"If you ever pull that shit on me again, I swear to God, I will rip your balls off."

Michael smiled and gave his mother a hug. "I won't do it again. I promise."

"Hold on a second. What's this?" Debbie tugged Michael's shirt by the collar to get a better look at his neck.

"What's what?"

Debbie gasped when she finally realized what she was looking at. "Oh, my God! Michael, is that a hickey?"

Michael snapped his shirt back, trying to hide the mark from his mother but he realized it was too late now. "Yes, Ma. It's a hickey."

"Please, God, tell me Ben did this to you!"

Michael looked slightly miffed."No, Ma. Actually, I decided to go to Portland and let David fuck me for one last time give me this hickey. Of course it's Ben. What's the matter with you?"

"Hey, I'm just asking. There's no need to be sarcastic. So you guys finally did it, huh?"

"Yeah we finally did it, okay? Are you satisfied? Now, why don't we go and have some breakfast. Ben made some pancakes for you." Michael dragged his mother out of the room and down the stairs.

"Wow. Sexy and a good cook. Is he good in bed too?"

"Ma!"

~~~~~~~

"Jesus, I thought we'd never get in. This place is packed tonight." Emmett babbled. He held Ted's hand as they tried to squeeze their way in. Even after passing the entrance, they still had to practically pushed their way inside Babylon.

"I know what you mean. Look at my shirt.  We just got in and it's already soaked. I don't think it's my sweat. Ergh!" Ted wiped his shirt in disgust. They made their way to the bar and ordered some drinks.

"Where's Justin? I thought we were going to meet him here?" Ted handed the drink to his boyfriend as they started bopping their head to the music.

"I don't know. He said something about stopping by at Brian's loft and picking up some stuff." Emmett shrugged and took a gulp of his drink.

Ted cocked his eyebrow and grinned devilishly  "Oooh, the loft? You don't think something's going on between those two, do you?"

Emmett turned to his boyfriend with his hand on his hip. "Theodore Schimdt, why don't you mind your own business? Besides, I think it's about time they hook up again. I can't stand the sexual tension between them. Every time they're in the same room, I just want to shove them into a closet so they can fuck each other's brains out." He finished his drink and ordered another round.

"My, my, Em. We're just ten minutes late and you started talking about me behind my back?"

Emmett almost spilled his drink when Brian suddenly showed up from out of nowhere. "Hey, Brian. Sorry, I didn't see you. Heyyy Justinnn..." He grinned at Justin who was standing next to Brian.

Justin narrowed his eyes and shook his head nervously. "It's not what you think it is. I went to Brian's to pick up my stuff and somehow we got delayed."

"Hey, no need to explain yourself. I'm not your mother."

"Whatever." Justin turned to Ted and tried to change the subject. "So, any word from Michael?"

"Nope. Not a single word. Brian, do you think he's okay?"

Brian shrugged. "Mikey's a big boy. He can take care of himself." He was scanning the room, looking for his next trick when his eyes caught something on the danced floor. He took another look to make sure and still couldn't believe what he was seeing. "Unbe-fucking-lievable."

"What? Who are you looking at?" Justin turned to where Brian was looking and he was equally stunned.

They saw Michael  and Ben right in the middle of the dance floor, shirtless, holding each other, and dancing. Michael had both his hands around Ben's neck while Ben rested his palms on Michael's tight ass. Oblivious to their chaotic surroundings, they slowly swayed from side to side, alternately kissing and whispering to each other.

"That is so romantic." Emmett sniffed and wiped his tears.

Ted wrapped his arms around his boyfriend from behind and rested his chin on his shoulder. "I know. They look so happy."

Justin, on the other hand, looked slightly annoyed. "That son of a bitch. He didn't even bother to call and tell us he's back. I'm going over there to say hi." Justin was about to make his way to the dance floor when Brian grabbed his hand and stopped him.

"Don't be so pathetic, Justin. Don't you have better things to do?"

"But..."

"After two fucking years, he's finally found the nerve to return to Babylon with a new man in his life and you think I'm going to let you ruin the moment? Think again, Sunshine."

"Can I at least say hi?"

"Maybe later. In the meantime why don't you and I pay a visit to the backroom and do something that we both like?" Brian said seductively. He wrapped his arm around Justin's waist and started nuzzling his neck.

"My, my. Aren't we a little horny tonight." Justin grinned. His hand crept around Brian's back and squeezed his butt.

"Come on." Brian grabbed Justin's hand and dragged him towards the backroom. He took one last look at the dance floor and smiled before disappearing into the room with Justin.

Ted and Emmett continued to watch the two lovers dancing in the middle of the dance floor. They were amazed by the way Ben and Michael looked into each other's eyes,  as though silently confessing their love for each other.

"Look at them. They look so happy. So... in love."

And Ted couldn't agree more with his boyfriend. "Yeah. After all these years, who would've thought Michael would fall in love again."

Emmett leaned his head against Ted's shoulder and sighed. "I'm just glad that Michael is smiling again. I think he's found his soulmate, don't you think?"

"I'll drink to that." Ted nodded his head and raised his glass.

~~~~~~~

Ben closed his eyes, feeling the warmth of Michael's head against his chest. "Baby?"

"Hmm?" Michael responded slowly.

"Are we going to dance here all night?"

Michael looked up at his lover and smiled. "Not really. You wanna go some place else?"

"Let's go home. I can make some dinner, have some wine and after that, we can take a long, hot bath together. And then..."

"Then what?"

"Well, I think I'll leave that part to you." Ben whispered seductively.

"Mmm, sounds like a good plan to me. Let's go."

Walking hand in hand, the two lovers exited the club, leaving the maddening crowd and headed for their destination.


End of "Stand By Me" by gtoy -- email

back to fiction index page