From Portland To Pittsburgh And Back Again

By Gemini

Note: The first 5 paragraphs were provided by Showtime, Inc., for their fan fiction contest.


The music at Babylon pulsed as Michael and Ben finished a particularly long kiss.

"That was amazing!" Michael said, smiling into his boyfriend's eyes.

"Thanks," Ben said, "now I have to go to the little boys' room. Wait here."

Michael leaned against the bar, feeling like his life--for that moment at least--was perfect. Had he ever felt so happy? So content? Suddenly he felt someone's eyes looking at him. "That was some kiss." The voice was low, sexy, familiar... and a little sad. Michael turned around and there he was, his previous great love: Doctor Dave. "Long time, no see," the hunky Doctor said, chucking Michael on the chin.

Michael's heart suddenly sank and leapt and spun all around his chest. "What are you doing here...?"

David looked down into the face that had been haunting his dreams for months, ever since the two of them had broken up. For over the last half hour he'd watched Michael dancing with the other man, and had been surprised at the pain he'd felt in his chest as he watched the two men lose themselves in each others arms. This man was no trick that Michael had snagged for the night. This unknown man was obviously someone very special to Michael, and David envied the stranger. Pushing the pain aside, David finally found the words to say, "I ah... well, I was in town, checking up on the house and the cabin, and I thought... maybe I might... well..."

"See me here tonight?" Michael finished, when the older man had seemed to lose his way.

Another sad smile graced David's lips. "Yeah. I thought I might see you here." When they'd been together, it felt so long ago, it had always made his heart flutter whenever Michael finished his sentences, but back then, a smile would always adorn his lover's face when it happened, and now... David saw sadness in Michael's eyes. Sadness and pity. David blinked in confusion when Michael reached out and swiped his thumb gently across his cheek. Trying to understand the gesture, David grasped Michael's hand when he tried to withdraw it from the older mans face, and felt the wetness that glistened on his ex-lover's fingers.

Crying. He was crying.

He thought he'd shed all his tears when he'd lost Mac, but here he was, in the middle of Babylon, with large silent tears running down his cheeks.

"Are you okay?" Michael asked quietly, having eased his hand from David's grasp.

"Me? Sure." They both knew it was a lie.

"How are things with Hank?"

The concern in Michael's voice was genuine, and for some reason the constricting pain in his chest seemed to tighten further. Taking a deep breath, David plastered what he hoped was a convincing smile on his face and answered, "Fine. Hank's doing just fine." Suddenly, feeling the need to be out of the club before Michael's friend returned, David pulled a startled Michael into a tight embrace, savoring the warmth and feel of the younger man for the last time, and whispered, "Are you happy?"

Michael's arms tightened around him for a brief moment, and the warmth of his breath ghosting along his neck sent a shiver down his spine. Michael's reply was confident, and without hesitation, and it cut straight to his heart. "Yes."

Is this why he'd come here tonight? He'd almost had himself convinced that he had only come here to search Michael out and apologize for the things he'd said to his ex-lover that night they'd unequivocally broken up and the younger man had headed back to Pittsburgh. But now he knew the truth. He'd come here hoping to find Michael as miserable as he'd been. Sad, and lonely, and hoping for a reconciliation.

He'd been a fool.


End of "From Portland to Pittsburgh and Back Again" by Gemini -- email

back to fiction index page