In the Quiet of the Morning

Babs

Ben woke up as the warm rays of the sun streamed though the window and fell across the sleeping form of Michael, who was snoring softly next to him.

As he let his finger gently move across Michael's soft cheek, his thoughts drifted back to their wedding day. It had been an extremely quick and very small wedding. Ben laughed as he thought back to Debbie running around the camp site yelling at anyone she could grab that they should have a huge wedding. She wanted to cook and have a big blow out back home, but Ben and Michael had decided that they didn't want to wait. They wanted their marriage to be legal and so after Michael accepted his proposal, they tied the knot in front of some of their family and most of their friends. Ben let his gaze fall back onto his husband. 'My husband.' He let the words roll slowly and softly over his tongue. He decided that he loved the sound they made. It was like music to his ears.

He also thought about how thrilled Hunter had been when they told him the news. He teased them and said he was happy that they weren't living 'in sin' and that he could go back to school now with his head held high, knowing that his fathers were legally married. They all laughed as Michael swatted him on head, just like Debbie did to him hundreds of times. Sure their marriage wasn't legal in PA, but so what? Hunter told both Ben and Michael that someday it would be and that's all that mattered. Ben thought the exact same thing.

Ben lovingly fingered the white gold wedding band on his finger and thought about their wedding night. It wasn't what he had planned when he first thought about asking Michael to marry him, but it was wonderful nonetheless. They had their sleeping bags instead of a huge, soft king-sized bed with fluffy feather pillows and room service. And their tent was a far cry from a swanky hotel in Manhattan, but he wouldn't change that night for all the world.

After the ceremony, they celebrated with cake and some really good champagne that Brian had somehow managed to have delivered to the party. They ate and danced far into the night. It was funny but Ben didn't know how the heck they had managed to continue with the Liberty ride after that? Their family and friends hadn't wanted that special day to end, but Ben remembered how he couldn't wait to get back to the tent with his husband so they could have their own celebration.

Everyone laughed as he carried Michael over the threshold of their tent. Even Michael giggled and told him it was silly and not necessary, but Ben wanted to start things off in a sort of traditional manner and so he scooped his surprised husband off his feet and quieted him with a deep kiss, much to the joy of his mother in-law.

Ben remembered how surprised they were to find even more champagne along with two glasses, some scented candles and even chocolate on their sleeping bag pillows. Michael had been so touched and had told him that he thought Emmett, must have been behind their special surprise. He was probably right.

Ben was so happy that Debbie didn't fight them too much about the wedding. Both he and Michael promised her that she could throw them another party later on, so that everyone who missed their wedding, could celebrate with them at home. It was a lovely gesture and a day that neither he, nor Michael would ever forget.

He also thought back to the day he took Michael home to see his parents and tell them the big news. His Mom was thrilled. She had always loved Michael and still talked about how he had saved 'her sons' life. Michael would get red in the face as she gratefully hugged him tight. Surprisingly, his Dad grabbed Michael in a bear hug and welcomed him to the family. It wasn't really like his dad to be so demonstrative, but as he said, it wasn't every day that his son got married. They were upset that they weren't at the ceremony but things were OK once Ben explained to them that they had wanted to make it legal. Ben also told them what Debbie had planned. He laughed as his mother ran right over the phone to call Debbie and offer her help. It was a fun couple of weeks watching them plan the event along with Emmett. They were like three peas in a pod.

Ben thought back to the day of the party.The hall was filled with white and silver balloons and hundreds of streamers and different kinds of small purple wrapped chocolates on small silver plates. Each table also had a beautiful rainbow of colored flower centerpieces that Em had put together. There were disposable cameras for each guest so that they could take photos of all the festivities. Later on when they came back from their honeymoon, Debbie presented them with a book filled with all the photos. There was also more food served then he had ever seen in his life. He remembered telling Michael that Debbie, him Mom and Em, must have been cooking for weeks! Out of all of Michael's friends, Ben felt particularly close to Em. He was a caring man and very loyal to his friends. And Ben had really liked that quality in a friend. He felt blessed that all of Michael's friends were now his friends too.

One of the highlights of the evening was when Michael made a special toast to remember Vic. There wasn't a dry eye in the hall. Ben thought he saw Brian's eyes fill up too as Michael spoke about how much Vic had meant to all of them. After his toast, Hunter stood up and had them and all their guests laughing when he said "Dudes, the party is great, everyone's here, now lets eat!" Typical, Hunter. Ben chuckled to himself.

Looking down at the man he loved, Ben felt like the luckiest man on earth. He ran his finger down Michael's arm causing him to stir. Michael opened his eyes but didn't say a word. He just opened his arms and Ben put his head on his husband's chest as Michael hugged him tight. 'This is where I want to stay forever' he thought as sleep overtook him.

End of "In the Quiet of the Morning"
Babs: babsny25@gmail.com
05/24/2008

back to fiction index page