A Perfect Life

Babs

Summary: Ben and Michael realize they have a perfect life.

"Let's go big guy!" Michael yelled though the doorway of his and Ben's apartment.

"I'm coming, I'm coming" Ben laughed as Michael jumped all around him in circles.

"I can't wait to get there. Did you remember the paint brushes?"

"Yes, Michael. I have them."

"What about the drop cloths?"

"I have them too."

"And the paint? You do have the paint, right?"

Ben grabbed Michael in a tight bear hug. "Yes, boy toy wonder. I have everything we need, so STOP WORRYING! OK?"

"I can't help it. I want today to be perfect. After all, it's not everyday that we buy a house!"

Ben chuckled. "It's going to be a wonderful house, baby. We have everything we need and your mother even packed us enough food to last a week at least!"

"So, you remembered the cooler too, right?"

"Yes! I remembered the cooler too! I didn't forget a thing. I promise! Now get in the car!"

Ben couldn't help but laugh at Michael's excitement. He was really excited too. It was going to be a great house once they fixed it up. It would take them a long time to get it just right, but Ben knew it was the perfect house for them. The neighborhood was great and Hunter and JR each had their own room.

Ben remembered how excited Michael was to tell Mel and Lindsay all about JR's room and how Justin said he would paint it pink with white clouds as his housewarming gift to them. They even bought a new rocking chair with Jenny Rebecca's name painted in pink on the back. The room was going to look great once it was finished.

He also remembered that they had promised Hunter that he could paint his room any color he wanted; Ben remembered the horrified look on Michael's face when Hunter told them he was going to paint it black.

"Dude's my room is gonna look great! Justin said he would paint glow in the dark stars all over the room. It's gonna look awesome!"

Ben had to grab Michael as he started to protest that 'no son of his was going to have a black room!'

"Michael, we told him he could paint it whatever color he wanted."

"I know we did!" Michael yelled, "But BLACK? Why not green or blue? I could live with that!"

Ben took Michael by the arm and gently sat him on the bed.

"We have to look at this way; he has never had the chance to have a normal life. Rita treated him like a money machine and I'm sure she didn't give him any choices about what color he could paint his room."

"I know Ben, but black??? It's just such a depressing color." Michael said as he shot off the bed and paced back and forth.

Ben took Michael in his arms.

"Look baby, I think we should let him do this. He seems really excited and I don't have the heart to renege on our promise. I want Hunter to feel that this is his home too. And if Justin is willing to paint glow in the dark stars, I say let him."

"OK. I guess you're right, but as soon as he moves out, I'm painting the room green!"

Ben laughed. "You can paint it whatever color you want."

~~~~~~~

30 minutes later ...

Ben had just enough time to pull over to the curb as Michael jumped out of the car. He ran up to the house and was just about to go inside when he heard Ben yell from the street.

"Not so fast!"

Michael turned in time to feel Ben scoop him up in his arms.

"Let's make this official!"

He laughed as Ben leaned in and kissed him deeply as he carried him over the threshold.

As soon as Ben put Michael down, they both let out a sharp breath.

"WOW!"

Justin had finished painting the living room and Debbie was already hanging the curtains they had picked out the week before.

Michael was immediately choked up.

"Ma, Justin ... I don't know what to say?"

"Thank you so much for doing all of this so fast." Ben said as he helped Debbie hang the last curtain rod.

"Well," Debbie piped in. I wasn't about to let my grandchildren see that horrible blue on the walls! Honestly, what the hell were the assholes thinking painting it that color?"

Justin just laughed and agreed. "It was a pretty nasty shade of blue."

Ben and Michael laughed too.

"It wasn't as bad as the pea green in our bedroom." Michael said as he made a gagging motion.

"Speaking of our bedroom, I'll go to the car and get the paint."

"OK. I'll put the food in the fridge, if it will all fit that is!"

Pinching Michael's cheek, Debbie said, "I wanted my baby to have all his favorites."

"Ma, you made enough food to feed an army! I think Ben, Hunter, and I will be eating my favorites for the next year!"

~~~~~~~

After lunch Michael and Ben carried the paint up to what was going to be their bedroom.

"Do you think we can finish it today, Ben?" I can't wait to move all our furniture in."

Grabbing Ben around the waist, he added. "Especially the bed."

"We don't need a bed baby. I can take you right on the floor. We did bring our sleeping bags you know."

Michael grabbed Ben's ass tightly and was about to say something sexily back when Debbie and Justin appeared in doorway.

"Save that shit until after we're gone."

"Sorry Deb. Sorry Justin.” Ben said as Michael's face turned all red.

"Justin and I are going now. We both have to work the late shift at the diner. I'll call you tomorrow."

Ben shook Justin's hand. Thanks again for finishing so fast."

"No problem. I'll be back the day after tomorrow to help Hunter paint his room. I hope it was OK that I offered to paint the glow in the dark stars on the walls?

"It's fine" Michael said as he looked at Ben. "It's Hunters room and he can paint it whatever color he wants."

Ben laughed. "I'll walk you both to your car."

Michael looked around the bedroom. He had all these ideas running through his head about where they would place the furniture when Ben came up behind him.

"It's really exciting isn't it?"

"Yeah it is." Michael said as he leaned into his lover.

"It's hard to believe it's all ours. We own a house!"

Michael turned in Ben's arms so they were facing each other.

"Ben, I want you to know that you have made me so happy. I never thought I would be with anyone as great as you. Not to mention owing a house and having kids!"

They shared a lingering kiss.

"Michael Novotny, you've made me happier then I have ever been in my life. A few years ago, I thought my life was over. And look at me now! I have you, a son and a new stepdaughter. What more could a man want? We are going to be really happy here. Hunter is going to love his new black room and JR is going to be happy and comfortable in her room when she visits us too. We are going to have the perfect life."

"I think you're right Mr. Bruckner. We are going to have the perfect life. Now why don't you get the sleeping bags so I can show you just how happy and perfect we're going to be."

Michael laughed as Ben ran down the stairs.

"We are going to be happy here. I just know it." And with that last thought in mind, Michael ran down the stairs to help Ben.

End of "A Perfect Life"
Babs: babsny25@gmail.com
05/30/2008

back to fiction index page