He Waits

By Ann Marie


Ben stood at the railing, watching the dancers below. The music coursed through him, the flashing lights, bringing a high that even drugs couldn't compete with.

His eyes never moved from the couple gyrating to the pounding beat. He watched the way they moved, totally in sync with each other. He watched as the taller one slowly moved closer and closer, snaking his arms around the smaller man.

He saw the light shining in the smaller man's eyes as he looked up at his dance partner. His arms coming up and around the taller man's neck. Their bodies meshing as if they were born to be together. They were a beautiful sight.

Ben watched as the taller man pulled closer to whisper into his partner's ear. The laughter that erupted from the smaller man's lips reached Ben; tension knotted his stomach. He loved that laughter, loved it even more when it was a direct result of something Ben said or did. Hearing it now, Ben sighed silently.

The music changed to a slower pace and Ben watched as the dancers' bodies slowed to almost stillness. The smaller man's head resting on the shoulder of the taller man. Arms gently draped over the shoulders.

The taller man's arms tightened around the waist, ever so slightly, but Ben could tell. Could see the contentment of the two, the gentle caresses on the smaller man's back. Possessive caresses.

Then, Ben saw the heads move, the taller man tenderly kiss the smaller one. The kiss was quick, but filled with tenderness.

Ben closed his eyes against the sight. The vise around his heart tightened. But as a scab that was continually picked, Ben had to open his eyes, had to watch.

Slowly he refocused his sight on the dance floor...all the other dancers faded away and only the two were left.

The kiss had ended quickly. Then slowly, as if in a dream, the smaller man's head pulled away and his eyes looked up, directly into Ben's.

The look that came into his eyes, the smile that transformed his face was enough. Ben moved as if in slow motion, his eyes never leaving the smaller man's face.

As he moved down the stairs, through the parting crowd, he knew that the taller man moved slightly away. Ben's whole being was focused on the smaller man. His sole purpose was to reclaim what was his.

The smaller man stood still, waiting.

Ben watched as his eyes continued to fill with even more love for him. The pain in his heart forgotten, the tightness in his stomach, loosened to nothingness.

As he closed the gap between them, Michael's arms reached out, his smile dazzled Ben and the love he saw in Michael's eyes was enough to erase any feelings of jealousy.

As soon as Michael was firmly in his arms, he claimed his mouth in a sweet, tender kiss. One that Michael deepened.

Reluctantly pulling away, Ben whispered, "let's go home."

Without a backwards glance, Michael snuggled into Ben's side and calling over his shoulder, said, "See you at the diner!"

Arm and arm they walked out into the night. Michael would soon be in their bed, in his arms. Ben's wait was over.


End of "He Waits" by Ann Marie -- email

back to fiction index page