Winter Wonders

By Amok


Chapter 1

Michael waited anxiously at the bus stop for Brian to come home. He had managed to borrow his mother's old beat up Chrysler since his best friend had decided to come home for Christmas. He watched as the riders started to disembark until he saw the familiar walk of his friend. He was only carrying a large duffel bag and a small carry on as he reached his friend.

"Are you all ready to go or do you need to pick something up first."

"We could stop off at Babylon and I could pick up a trick or two."

"I have to get home and to sleep early tonight since I have work in the morning. Although the holidays mean a break from college it also means a chance to earn some more money for school and living expenses."

"Yes, well with my scholarship they pay my tuition, books, and some living expenses."

"We can't all be handsome and brilliant like you."

"And don't you ever forget it."

"Like you would let me. Are you sure it is okay with your parents that you are staying at my mom's?"

"One my parents are off visiting some relatives in New York and two I thought it was your Uncle's place."

"Yes er... well there have been some changes since you left."

"Like your mom bought a house."

"Actually Uncle Vic signed it over to her. He would get less disability which is pretty piss poor to begin with if he owned his own place and if he... if he passes than there will not be taxes added to his house because of it being part of his estate. Uncle Vic does seem to be responding to his new meds though so nothing should happen to him any time soon."

"Where did you park the car?"

"Right over there."

Michael and Brian walked back to the car and loaded Brian's luggage into the trunk. Michael was surprised to find that there was a certain leap in his step from seeing his best friend again. He had missed Brian over Thanksgiving but Brian said that he was too busy with all sorts of assignments to make it back. That had been a hard week as well as the six weeks following as he found his life spinning out of control but things seemed to finally have settled or so he hoped. The two managed to make it back to his mothers in one piece and ran into the warmth of the house.

It was a small house but had a lot of charm with its brick façade and green trim. They had Christmas lights dripping off the eaves troughs and a large wreath on the door decorated with large sparkly poinsettias. On either side of the small steps of concrete step leading up to the door were a large Santa Claus and plastic snowman. Once inside Brian slumped into the old couch with its brown and gold floral pattern. The carpet was beige shag and still looked like the room Brian had remembered from when Michael first brought him home. All the shelves were lined with junky trinkets from places Deb or Vic had visited. On the mantel was Deb memorial to her late husband with his army photo and the medals he had received for his service. There was also a set of white candles one on either side that the family would light for an hour every remembrance day. Michael walked into the kitchen and grabbed two pops and a plate of Christmas cookies his uncle had made and brought them to the living room. He almost tripped over a gift that was sticking out from under the tree that was nestled against the wall between the family and living room. The staircase that was off to one side when you entered was covered with lights, pine garlands and more poinsettias. Even the windows in both the rooms had garlands above them.

"As always your mom really dresses the place up for Christmas." "

She even has decorations in her bedroom like a porcelain Santa on one of her side tables."

"Mmm... These cookies are good."

"I'll be sure to pass that on to Vic."

"So where will I be sleeping? On the sofa?"

"Actually you will be in my old bedroom."

"On the floor?"

"No. We finished the basement and then mom redid my old bedroom and turned it into a guest bedroom."

"You know your parents are trying to get rid of you when they hide you in the basement."

"It is not like that Brian. We just needed some privacy."

"We?"

"Do you remember when I told you I was seeing Ben?"

"Who is Ben?"

"That guy you met at the Poconos last summer. You remember him don't you? Tall blond with gorgeous blue eyes and a muscular build."

"Oh, Bert."

"His name is Ben."

"So what you sneak in that muscle headed guy downstairs and have your way with him and in your mother's house no less."

"We don't sneak around Brian. He lives here with us and helps out with some of the chores, taking care of Vic and even pays rent as do I."

"What happens when you two break up."

"You mean if we break up which I don't think will happen but if it does we will figure it out then. I really like him and I think you will too once you get to know him."

"Whatever."

Michael watched as Brian consumed one more cookie before grabbing his gear and going up to where he would be sleeping. He slowly let out a sigh of relief now that it was over with. He knew when he first told Brian about Ben and what had happened that Brian seemed to develop an instant dislike even though he had never met him. All that mattered to Brian was that it had hurt Michael deeply when he awoke that morning to find Ben gone without even a simple good-bye. He had spent some time trying to figure what he had done wrong when he had met Brian. He soon found that by spending time with Brian he could ignore the what ifs or maybes that kept running through his mind. When Brian and Ben finally did meet Brian had made it quite clear that he did not like Ben one bit. Michael hoped things would change now that Brian knew some of the details of why Ben had just disappeared. It was important to Michael that he build his relationship with Ben but he didn't want to lose Brian in the process. He finished drinking his pop wondering if this was all going to work out since the last thing he wanted was to make things difficult for Ben. He put the cookies back in the kitchen and headed into the basement.

It resembled a loft apartment being open concept and yet it really was quite small. There were two doors on the wall when you exited the stairs, one being the laundry room and the other one was a bathroom. A sort of hallway had been created with bookshelf that contained Michael's comics and some of Ben's books that had been painted white. The space itself had been painted a pale blue throughout that seemed to brighten up what was once a dark and dreary basement. There was a small loveseat and lounging chair that Ben's mother had handed down to Ben that was upholstered in cobalt blue velvet. In the other corner was a small drop leaf table with two chairs that Ben and Michael sometimes used when they had meals as just the two of them.

Michael began to strip off his clothes as he passed through the set of light blue curtains that were attached to the back of the last bookshelf and opposite wall closing off their bedroom. Michael was down to his underwear when he finally entered and he dropped his dirty clothes in the basket which acted as their laundry hamper. His mother had put in a lot of work making the curtains and the denim bed spread for the basement as Vic and Michael handled the drywall and painting. The hardest part of their remodel had been the floors, which were painted concrete that was supposed to resemble tiles. The bedroom was the only area that had plush beige carpeting and felt great for the feet in the morning. Most of the furniture had been Ben's mother property, she had brought the pieces down when she found out that Ben was moving in. The dresser had been left in its light pine finish and with it simple shaker design matched the armour since there was no closet. In the middle of the room was a queen size bed with a padded headboard.

Although Michael and Ben usually kept their space clean it looked like a hurricane had hit the bed. Wrapped tightly in the sheets was Ben as small whimpering sounds emitted from his sleeping form. Michael managed to get him over to his side of the bed and began to untangle the sheets. When Michael was almost finished a strong grip seized his arm and began pulling him down to the bed. Michael didn't resist and managed to work his way under the covers. He quickly removed his dirty underwear once he was under the warmth of the sheets and comforter and spooned behind Ben as he ran his fingers through the short blond hairs and whispered soothing words in his ears. He could feel Ben begin to relax in his arms and drift back into a peaceful sleep. Michael watched over him for an hour before his own eyelids closed and they fell asleep together.

Chapter 2

Brian was somewhat surprised when he woke up back in Michael's bedroom but soon was able to see the changes and remembered it was not Michael's bedroom anymore. He used the bathroom to quickly shower then dressed himself in some tight fitting black jeans and a tight black dress shirt. He could smell coffee in the kitchen and was looking forward to see the Novotny clan. Instead of being greeted by Michael, Deb or Vic he found Ben sitting at the table with some coffee and a muffin. Brian seriously considered going back upstairs not really wanting to talk to Ben but this was his home first and he was damned if Ben was going to take that away from him. He took in one last calming breath before entering the kitchen and heading for the coffee pot.

"Hello Brian. There are some muffins on the counter if you are hungry."

"I don't eat breakfast. Where's Mikey?"

"He had to head off to work early this morning. I also think he mentioned something about some last minute Christmas shopping."

"Don't you have some where you need to go?"

"Today is my day off. I guess you are just stuck with me for the time being."

"Well why don't you do us both a favour and stay out of my way."

Brian grabbed his coffee and sat down on the couch in the living room. A smile slowly spread over his face as he heard Ben head back into the basement where Brian decided he belonged. Maybe Brian could pick Michael up at work and convince him to head out to the club tonight.

After almost going crazy for eight hours with nothing to do Brian waited for Michael outside of the Big Q. He spotted his friend almost immediately as he headed out of the employee exit around the back of the store. Bran snuck behind his friend and placed his gloved hand over Michael's eyes and was rewarded with an elbow in his gut and a bite mark on his arm.

"Oh shit Brian. I didn't know that it was you. I am so sorry. What are you doing here anyways?"

"I was waiting for you. I never thought I would be mortally wounded in the process. Do you want to go out tonight?"

"No. I have to go pick up Ben's gift at the engraver and some how sneak it home and wrap it. I also managed to pick up a few more stocking stuffers at the store that I want to get wrapped soon."

"Come on. It will be fun and you can wrap those gifts later."

"I want to get home to Ben Brian. If he wants to go out I will considerate it then okay."

"Fine Michael."

"Don't get mad. It is just really important for me to check on him first."

"He can take care of himself Michael."

Brian watched the change in Michael as his back stiffened and his eyes flashed an old pain as Michael managed to sit down on a bench in the back parking lot. Michael leaned his head into his knees and began to suck in air and making strange sounds that scared Brian. He began going through his best friends pockets looking for his inhaler but when he finally produced it Michael shook his head now and managed to stand back up.

"Don't say anything."

"If your sick Mikey..."

"I am not sick Brian. There is nothing to worry about I just want to run my errand and go home."

Chapter 3

Michael and Brian managed to get to the engravers before heading home to get a bite to eat and maybe head out. Michael left Brian upstairs with Deb and Vic while he went downstairs to find Ben. He found his partner lying on the love seat with his legs hanging over the edge and his glasses had begun to slip off his nose. Michael bent over him and gently slid off his glasses while placing light kisses on his lips, his jaw and finally his neck. He could feel Ben's hand gliding against his side trying to coax him up onto his lap. Michael complied and was once again kissing Ben's lips but this time Ben opened up to him and allowed him to explore the dark corners inside. Ben slowly undid Michael's pants and had pulled them down so that he could shape his ass with his hands. Michael laid his full weight against Ben as he continued to feast on his neck. Before they went any further Michael finally pushed himself up back into a straddling position and his fingers caressed the side of Ben's face.

"We don't have enough time. Dinner should be ready any minute now."

"I suppose I can wait till later as long as it isn't too much later."

"Brian was wondering if we would be interested in heading out to Babylon?"

"I don't really feel like going out."

"You haven't really gone out anywhere except work and school. It might do you some good to see some of your old friends. I bet that friend you made who is becoming an accountant will be there."

"His name is Ted and if he is there I am not sure we would want to hang around with him."

"He seemed nice enough to me."

"There are times when I just feel slightly uncomfortable around him that's all."

"Like when?"

"Like tonight if I ran into him."

"I know he is a little shy at times and rarely speaks but he is still your friend."

Ben was about to try and find a way to best explain the situation when Deb called the two up for dinner. Michael asked Ben to think about it as he practically leapt up the stairs to get something to eat. Ben just didn't know how to break it to Michael that Ted found Michael very attractive and wanted him. Ben always got a certain pleasure that Michael was naïve about his charm and good looks, it meant Ben had very little competition for his attention.***

Michael was still somewhat shocked to find himself as well as Brian and Ben at Woody's and then Babylon. It had been a while and Michael was enjoying the feeling of being wrapped in Ben's arms as they swayed to the music as if they were the only two people at the club. He was somewhat shocked as he felt another set of arms reach around him and pull him away from Ben.

"Mind if I cut in?"

"Would it matter if I did mind Brian?"

"Well I haven't seen him for months the least you could do is share."

Michael wasn't quite sure who to be angry with since in his opinion they were both acting so mean to each other. He wanted to remind them that he could make his own choices when Ben made the decision for them and stalked off to the bar.

"Some people just don't take the hint."

"I know what you mean. What is your problem?"

"Whatever do you mean Mikey?"

"You left me alone in the living room when you found out that Ben was living with us. You hardly speak to him unless you have to and when I told you all three of us were going out you kept walking ahead and acting as if you were not with us. Now you have decided that you want to dance with me which is fine but you didn't ask me if I wanted to and you were rude to Ben."

"He is not good enough."

"And what exactly makes a person good enough for me in your eyes Brian. I love him and can not stand the thought of losing him."

"We could only be so lucky."

Brian landed on his ass and felt a bit winded when Michael pushed him back hard in an unexpected move. This was not going at all like Brian planned, he wanted Michael utmost attention and show Ben that he would always be out in the cold. The Novtny's and especially Michael were his family first and Ben would just have to find someone else but for some strange reason Michael seemed very protective of Ben. Brian managed to pull himself up and looked back at Ben to find the young men perplexed at what had happened. Brian walked up to Ben and looked him up and down trying to figure out his next move. As far as he was concerned Ben wasn't that much to write home about. Okay, so he had a muscular body and beautiful blue eyes but so what there were better looking men out there. He seemed to shy away from Brian as he checked him out the same way Michael does and although he was cute not enough to have driven a wedge between him and Michael.

"Aren't you going to go after him?"

"If Michael wants to talk I will listen but if he needs space I can give him that too."

"You are not even the least bit curious about what happened between us? Maybe he hit on me and I had to turn him down."

"Michael told me you never lie and if that is the case you wouldn't have sad if. Not that it is any of your business but I trust Michael."

"Why?"

"Why what."

"Why you. You are nothing special."

"Thanks for the compliment Brian. I can't really explain other than to say we just fit. When we were apart I used to think of him often but I somehow managed to make it through every day. Now that we are together it seems so strange to think I used to wake up without him. It seems like too completely different lives."

"And just how did you convince Deb, Vic or even Michael for that matter that you moving in was a great idea."

"I did nothing of the sort. When I got out it just happened."

"Got out of where?"

"Never mind. Do you want to meet Ted, he just came in?"

Brian looked up in time to see a man around Ben's age had entered the club but Ted kept looking around nervously. He was a little taller than Michael with dark brown hair and eyes. He was dressed in a pair of old baggy jeans with a loose fitting dark green sweater that pretty much guaranteed he wasn't going to get laid. Ben waved over his friend who joined them at the bar.

"Hey, I just saw Michael outside and he seemed pretty upset. He told me to tell you that if you two had finished with your pissing contest he was going home."

"Then I am getting out of here. Brian are you coming?" Ben asked as he made quick work of putting on his jacket.

"No, I will see you guys later."

Brian watched for Ted to order his drink and Brian quickly paid for it.

"Um... Thanks."

"No problem, after all you are a close friend to Michael and Ben."

"Yeah well they are easy to get along with. Neither one of them are narcissistic assholes just out to get laid."

Brian cringed and couldn't help but wonder what Ted had been told about him. Truth be told it might be an accurate description but Brian didn't even now Ted and yet Ted had already seemed to judge him.

"I have been a friend of Michaels for a long time but I don't know very much about Ben. They seem to have gotten very close since Ben moved into the Novotny House."

"It would have been better if it was under different circumstances."

"Yes, after he got out of... I can never remember the name."

Ted eyed him suspiciously and said, "Pittsburgh University Hospital?"

Brian's eyes slightly widened when Ted told him. He knew he hadn't talked to Michael around Thanksgiving but he just thought Michael was angry with him.

"If you didn't know you could just ask. Michael has been distracted likely."

"Fine, what happened?"

"Ben and Michael were coming home after having dinner and a movie and decided to head back through the campus park. Some of the guys from he was going to class with decided to try and convince him to stop getting such good grades. They were surprised to say the least when they found him in the park kissing Michael. They ended up beating Ben quite badly. From what little Michael has talked about it apparently two of them held him down while the others were hitting Ben. Before they left they did hit Michael a few times as well but his injuries turned out to be minor. There was a student who witnessed it and reported the incident to campus security. Ben ended up in the hospital for a couple of weeks. He had multiple breaks and fractures to his ribs, legs and one of his wrists. They are going to have to re- break his one wrist and reset the bones but Ben keeps trying to put that off until he has some time off school. The doctor warned him that he may develop arthritis in that wrist in a few years and displayed him some exercises that are supposed to help strengthen it. Michael, Vic and Deb told Ben he was going to live with them what they didn't tell him was what happened to his dorm room. When Ben was in the hospital someone broke in and really trashed the place."

"There is nothing like good old school spirit."

"Actually the faculty was very decisive and took action immediately. The seven students were expelled and the school even helped to try and bring charges against them. A lot of the teachers sent his schoolwork to him and made exceptions for any written assignments and tests. I know the school also offered Ben some counselling which he goes to. Michael unfortunately doesn't seem to be getting any help other than his family and a few close friends. Our school has started an awareness program that is supposed to target racism and bigotry. A few people within the faculty as well as the students seemed resistant to the idea but there are many others that aren't willing to give up. They tried to send out a very clear message that violence within the school will not be tolerated under any circumstances."

Brian couldn't help but be hurt that he was just learning about this now. Ted had said that Michael had needed his friends and family but for some reason he no longer seemed included in either of those categories.

"Thanks Ted, I think I am going to head home now."

Chapter 4

Brian pulled his coats collar up around his neck trying to keep warm. It was in Michael nature to take care of people without thinking about himself. Things were finally beginning to make sense as he thought over some of the changes in Michael. He could remember when he was younger that if people grabbed his arm he felt as if he could leap out of his skin. He still felt that way always scared it might be Jack back to get him one more time. At least he knew it was his father he had to fear, for Michael it had been a group of strangers. He knew that when he had gone to pick up Michael at the Big Q he had been responsible for bringing back some of those painful memories. Michael had always approached Brian slowly and gently after Jack had his way with him. He just always seemed to know how to make things better.

Brian headed up the short few steps to Deb's front door and let himself in. He was about to go to his room but decided to head downstairs. At first he thought the basement was empty until he heard a noise off to the left. He pulled the curtain open to find Michael and Ben already in bed. Michael was spooned up behind Ben but was fidgeting occasionally. Brian thought about waking him up when Ben turned over and pulled Michael closer to him. Ben kissed Michael's forehead and then his cheeks before he was able to get him to calm down. Brian decided it was time to go and headed back upstairs.

Brian was about to head up to bed when he noticed Vic sitting on the couch and he decided to sit beside him for a little while.

"Hello Vic, how are you feeling?"

"Just fine. The new meds are working out well. How are things with you?"

"Okay I guess."

"Not what you were expecting?"

"What do you mean?"

"You were not aware of the changes around here. I know Michael never told you since he felt you would only worry and it was not like you could do anything."

"He still should have told me."

"You know now and it is a frustrating situation because there is not much we can do for them other than be here to support them."

"I could care less about Ben."

"Some free advice. You look at this situation as if you are losing your position in Michael's life. You have done some pretty shitty things to him over the years and yet he would still do anything for you. There is nothing you could do that would stop Michael from loving you but you can still hurt him. However you choose to treat him you will always be Michael's best friend and Ben is his partner. There is no reason either of you should feel threatened by the other. If you want more in your relationship with Michael you may be too late since Ben means a great deal to him."

"He is not good enough."

"Deb always thought you were not good enough either but the two of you have been inseparable for five years. Maybe you and Deb need to trust Michael's judgment."

Vic watched as Brian stormed off and he could only hope that Brian might take some of his advice to heart.

"That was pretty intense."

"Sorry Deb, I didn't hear you come in. I was hoping to spare Michael or Ben from having to deal with him. That is the last thing those two need right now."

"Part of me wishes he would have stayed at school until summer and yet I am happy to have all of my boys under the same roof."

"You know Brian has always had a hard time around the holidays. I think it is good that he is here. You never know, we may be pleasantly surprised once he works through it on his own. He just wants to protect Michael even though in this instance he doesn't have to."

"I just hate to see them going through this. I thought we were finally getting through to Brian that he was part of this family no matter what and now I feel like we failed. I can't even seem to help Michael right now since he won't say anything."

"They are stronger than you think. These are only momentary set backs but they will pull through. You just have to have faith, after all that is what the holidays are all about. "You know Vic if you ever get tired of being a professional baker I think you would make damn fine psychologist."

Vic couldn't help but smile at the compliment as both of their tired bodies pushed themselves up the stairs.

Chapter 5

Brian had a horrible night trying to get some sleep and even breakfast had done nothing to help his bad mood. Ben eventually had to leave for work doing research for one of his professors and kissed Michael goodbye for at least two minutes. Brian was disgusted by what he saw as a hetro act and kept looking over at Deb expecting her to break them up. Deb just smiled at Brian and continued to prepare for the meal tomorrow night. Michael was the next one to leave since he had his last eight hour shift ahead of him before boxing day. Brian didn't want to sit around and watch Deb cook and decided it would be better to get some reading done in his room. As he neared the stairs he once again decided to head down into Ben and Michael's space. No said he couldn't go down there.

Brian took some time examining the books in the bookshelf. Most of them were literature classics, autobiographies and a few were about eastern religions. He also found some comic books he could still remember Michael reading to him when they were younger. Moving into the bedroom he was surprised to find the bed made as he began to look around. There were a few books in one of the side tables along with a plain crème lamp with a brass base. Inside of the drawer were pictures of Michael and Ben along with a box of condoms. The other bedside table had a small box of cookies for when Michael got hungry during the night along with a pack of letters. Brian opened them and realized they had been written by Ben for Michael, some were from when they were separated and some of them were much more recent. Brian began to read one but felt it was way to mushy for his taste.

He checked out the set of drawers next but only managed to find their clothes along with a few pieces of jewellery that Brian suspected where Ben's. He was about to leave when he stubbed his toe against Michael's old chest at the bottom of the bed. Inside was more comic books paraphernalia carefully stored away from the light. Brian suddenly remembered the false door in the bottom that looked like a piece of trim Michael had once shown him. He placed his hands in the gap at the bottom of the drawer on either side and pulled the bottom out. Inside there were a few photographs of Ben barely dressed and sleeping or poses that were very suggestive. There was also an old t- shirt that had been well worn out that Brian couldn't identify. Under the shirt were small wrapped packages that Brian assumed were for the stockings along with a box from Mclean Engravers. Brian slowly slipped the lid off and was surprised to find a plain gold band inside. When he turned the ring over in his fingers he managed to find "Love Eternal" engraved inside. Brian thought he heard Deb calling him so he quickly shut the door but forgot to put the box back. Instead of trying to pry the drawer open again he just placed it in his back pocket and climbed the stairs two at a time.

Chapter 6

The Novotny family sat down and had their usual meal of leftovers for Christmas Eve to clear out space for the Christmas Day leftovers. Deb had managed to make sure that everyone was overfed. They sat down and watched a Christmas Carol before they all headed off to bed. Ben was in the bathroom taking a shower and Michael wanted to use the opportunity to get all the stocking stuffers and Ben's gift out while he could. Michael pulled open the hidden drawer and started to collect the presents he bought for his family when he noticed one box was missing. He pulled the drawer all the way out trying to locate Ben's gift. Michael even pulled out the old shirt Ben had left behind at the cabin after their first time and the assorted pictures. He had told Ben that he had destroyed the photographs since Ben was a little embarrassed about them. Grabbing the other gifts and heading upstairs he tried to figure out where else he could have put it. He managed to get all of the stocking stuffers put away and then began to check some of the other hiding places he might have used. There was nothing under the couch or in the back of the front closet where few dared to go. He decided to check his jacket pockets when he found a gaping hole in one of the side pockets. It would have been just big enough for the small box to fall through. Grabbing a flashlight off the shelf he put on his winter coat and boots before heading to the door.

"Hey Mikey where are you going? You know if you don't go to bed Santa won't come."

"Look Brian, I will be back in a few minutes. I just need to look for something."

"Maybe I could help."

"Great. Get dressed and let's go."

"You want to go outside in that weather?"

"Are you going to help me or not." Michael turned around and was clearly fed up with Brian. He was already dressed in his thick winter jacket with gloves and a hat. Brian just shook his head and watched Michael walk out the door. He finally began to turn around only to come face to face with Ben.

"Did Michael just leave?"

"He said he had to go out and find something he lost."

"And you let him go out all alone at this late hour?"

"It's not my fault."

"Isn't it. You know someone was in our room moving things around and that has never happened before." Ben's eyes were now forming thin slits and his clear blue eyes became an icy stare.

"Whatever. I am going to bed."

"No your not." Ben had kept himself in Brian's path keeping him from going anywhere.

"Excuse me."

"I don't usually make a habit of being demanding but you and I are going out there right now to find Michael. I don't care what you took and I don't care what excuse you will use to return it but you are coming."

Brian considered arguing with the man but he really wasn't that tired anyways. It would also give him the opportunity to make sure Ben didn't say anything bad about him to Michael.

Chapter 7

Both men were still walking towards one of the major shopping malls in Pittsburgh in an awkward silence. Brian did not dress nearly as warmly as Ben had and he began to lose the feeling in his feet. He was half tempted to go back to the Novtny's place and wait there for a while until he realized Ben seemed to want to talk to him but hadn't found the words quite yet.

"I do love him you know. If I could have changed the pain I caused him before I would but I can only try to be there for him now."

"Maybe you being here is part of the problem."

"God you are a stubborn SOB."

"You've met my mother?"

"No and I have only met you twice. If it weren't for the fact that Michael sometimes talks about you I would feel that I didn't know you at all. What I find surprising is that every time Michael begins to bring up the subject of us on the phone you find some way to avoid the conversation. You don't even know me and yet you seem determined to hate my guts. What exactly is your problem?"

"I don't know what you are talking about but I will promise you that if you hurt Mikey I will create problems for you."

"Michael doesn't need his protector anymore."

Brian tried to turn away from Ben so that he could go back home but Ben had a strong grip on his shoulder.

"That is what you are afraid of. If Michael doesn't need you anymore he won't want you around. Instead of looking at this as a bad thing why don't you try to see the positive side?"

"Oh, and why don't you enlighten me on what that would be exactly."

"For once you will know that someone cares about you for who you are, not what you can do for them. You will finally have a friend that you can treat as an equal that can support you whenever you need them to."

"Michael already helps me out plenty."

"But there are things about yourself you have never shared with another person. Michael, Deb and Vic are always going to be a family for you even when they don't necessarily agree with what your doing."

"And what exactly is that supposed to mean?"

"With some of the stunts you pulled when you were younger I am sure Deb was royally pissed when Michael was also involved but she still cares about you. That will never change Brian."

"They are your family not mine."

"It is not a competition. I also already have a mother who I love dearly. Although I consider Vic, Deb and Michael to be my family those relationships are different and separate from the ones you have with them."

"Well thank you for that free analysis but I don't need a family. Michael is just my best friend and I will always look out for him. You are starting to sound a lot like Vic."

"Like I said before you're a stubborn SOB."

Brian realized he was trying Ben's patience since he was only trying to kind to Brian. He was tempted to see how much trouble he could stir up when he noticed a shadow up ahead. Slowly the shadow that appeared to be somewhat slumped over ended up underneath a streetlight to reveal it was Michael. If Brian thought he was cold Michael looked as if he were frozen. A thin coat of Ice was visible on his jacket as well as his gloves and his teeth were chattering. He looked as if he was cradling his stomach but the fabric of his jacket kept moving until a small kitten popped its head out between the buttons.

"Baby what happened?"

"I saw someone throw them into the river in a sack and I tried to get them out of the water. It was so cold."

Brian watched as Ben listened and began to undress Michael. He first opened the jacket and passed the two wet kittens onto Brian. They started to softly meow after being separated from Michael and Brian just looked down at them in disbelief. He couldn't understand how anyone could do that to such a small defenceless creature. Brian was interrupted in his thoughts when Ben practically yelled at him to keep them warm. Ben had managed to get Michaels gloves off of him and was working on Michael's shirt. Michael stood in the middle of the street partially naked and shivering until Ben managed to get his own dry coat off and wrap Michael in its warmth. Brian didn't envy Ben since he know only had a sweater to keep him warm. The three headed towards an all night diner while Brian and Michael hid the kittens in their jackets. Ben managed to talk one of the waitresses into letting him use the phone to call Deb. Brian had to stifle a laugh as he watched the same waitress pass Ben her number. Ben and Brian ordered some coffee but Michael had asked for warm milk and secretly began to slip some of the liquid to the kittens by dipping his finger in it. After a while Deb appeared and did not look too happy with her boys.

"Do you guys know how late it is?"

Michael usually tried to avoid his mother when she was this upset and Ben was too preoccupied holding Michael and keeping him warm. Brian figured it was up to him to answer her questions.

"Deb we can tell time. Michael lost something and went out to search for it. He didn't manage to find what he was looking for but he did find something of interest or I should say two things of interest." Brian slid his zipper part way so Deb could look at the creature that was now trying to dig its claws into his stomach.

"A kitten! That is coming into my house over my dead body."

Brian knew Michael would be upset over the prospect of giving them up. Ben however managed to deal with Deb in a way that took Brian by surprise.

"Well Deb I am sorry but I am afraid you are just going to have to lay down and die. You can't possibly expect us to just abandon them or take them to a shelter where if they aren't adopted in a few days they will be put down."

"Damn. Lets just get the three of you home and we will figure out the rest later. Three against one just isn't fair.

Chapter 8

Once they arrived back home Deb went back to bed while the three men were left to figure out what to do with their new responsibilities. It was decided it would be best to keep them downstairs away from Deb and they grabbed old towels to set up a bed. Brian called an all night veterinary clinic and found out that the kittens seemed old enough not to have to feed off their mother but would soon need to come in for shots.

Brian went back downstairs after he made the call and was surprised by the scene that greeted him. Michael and Ben were in the bathroom sitting on the edge of the tub watching it fill with water. Ben slowly pulled his coat off Michael and held him when Michael leaned back into Ben. Soon Ben began to work at the buttons on Michael's jeans and slowly pushed them down. Brian knew he should probably walk away and let them have a private moment and yet he remained. Ben in the meantime had coaxed Michael's underwear off and helped him into the tub. He managed to get Michael to submerge completely and proceeded to wash Michael's hair. Michael finally broke the silence of the moment.

"I just don't get it."

"Don't get what?"

"Why would someone do that?"

"Why would someone hurt animals or why anyone would hurt another living thing, human or otherwise?"

Michael seemed to tense at Ben's question but Ben knelt on the floor and kissed his cheek. They made eye contact that expressed each other's pain before Michael answered, "both."

"Each situation is different and we can't control that, all we can control is how we react. I wish you would feel more comfortable talking about what happened. I hate the idea of you trying to go through this alone.

"You don't talk about it much."

"I feel betrayed by my fellow students even though it was only a few. My private life was violated not to mention my sense of security. I am both angry and scared but I have managed to find some people who are very supportive."

"Like Ted?"

"Yes he has become a good friend. I also have some teachers but most importantly I have my family. You know we are here for you if you need us."

"I know, I just can't help stop myself from feeling so angry."

"I think you are allowed to feel as much anger as you want just don't bottle it inside. Why didn't you at least talk to Brian about it."

"I remember when I was younger and Brian used to come here when his father forgot to control his temper. The worst part was the fact I couldn't help him."

"But you did help by being his family just like he would help you."

"You know where I feel safest?"

"I have a few ideas."

"I love sleeping in our bed with you."

"I kinda figured."

"Our bed is always warm and soft."

Ben looked at his lover quizzically trying to figure out what he was up to when he finally answered yes.

"I bet the concrete floor is cold even with the towels."

"I am sure they will be just fine where they are."

"What if they miss their mother?"

Brian almost laughed out loud as he watched Ben draw his hands through his hair before giving in.

"Okay you big suck. Why don't you dry off and I will move the kittens."

Brian headed up the stairwell a little more so they wouldn't see him as Ben walked across the space to where they had put the makeshift kitten bed. One of them that was a champagne colour had already stood up and was trying to make it way towards Michael's voice. Ben scooped it up into one of his hands along with the pure black one and settled them at the bottom of the bed. In the meanwhile Michael walked out of the bathroom with nothing on and headed towards the bathroom. Michael stood behind Ben and caressed his back before climbing into their bed.

"Come to bed Ben."

Brian could see through a gap between the bookshelf as Ben stripped his clothes off and climbed into bed beside Michael. Michael rested his head on Ben's chest and had his arm resting across Ben's waist. Ben had wrapped his arm around Michael's back and pulled him even closer.

"We still have to name them."

"We will figure it out in the morning now go to sleep Ben."

Brian decided not to disturb the happy couple especially considering he would have to explain how long he had been standing there and why. Before heading to his own bedroom he walked over to the mantle and stopped in front of the red stocking with white trim that had Ben's name on it. He pulled out the small box from his pants pocket and dropped it inside.

Chapter 9

Brian managed to get up a decent hour as he heard Deb and Vic working downstairs on breakfast. By the time he was showered and dresses the coffee was ready and Brian never did anything without his first cup of coffee. Deb sat across from Brian as Vic got to work on making omelettes for everyone's breakfast.

"So how did you sleep?"

"Like the dead but I didn't have anything to keep me up."

"Not in my house you better not. When are you going to meet a nice boy and settle down, maybe a hot young artist."

"I am not the settling down type. Shouldn't Ben and Michael be up here already?"

"Don't try and change the subject. Those two like to sleep in on their days off."

"Michael used to have real problems sleeping in when we were younger."

"Things change I suppose and he works a lot on top of going to college. Why don't you go down and wake the two sleeping beauties."

Brian pulled out of his chair thankful for the distraction. The last thing he wanted was to have Deb talk to him even more about his love life. He headed down the stairs and tried to think of all the things that had changed in his best friend. He was almost in the bedroom when he heard a moan. Well at least some things didn't change, he would just have to lie to Deb but in the mean time he could go up and check out his gifts.

It was another half hour before Michael and Ben had finally surfaced after a quick shower for both of them. Michael had flicked Brian's ear when he found him near the tree shaking one of his gifts.

"Patience was never your strong suit Brian and you call me pathetic."

"If I were you I would be nice to me or else I will tell your mother why you and Ben take so long to rise and shine on your days off. She will never leave you two alone again."

Ben had slid up behind Michael and made Michael blush when he said, "I am sure she probably has a pretty good idea about what we are doing done there. Would you two hurry up I am starving."

The three finally entered the kitchen and were bombarded with a table full of food just like Deb always loved to have. Ben just looked shocked at the sight of this meal before looking at Brian.

"And she expects us to eat Christmas dinner after this?"

"Welcome to an Italian family where you can never have too much food. Not only does Deb make Turkey for Christmas but there are also cabbage rolls, at least three vegetables, dinner rolls, stuffing, cranberry sauce, salad, appetizers and two kinds of dessert... don't worry you'll get used to it you just have to pace yourself or learn how to hide your food that you don't want where she can't see it." Brian just smirked at Ben after finishing his warning.

"I see many hours working out in my near future."

The family sat down for the meal and Brian was soon filled in on everything he had missed. For the first time since he came back he felt relaxed in the familiar embrace of his home. He even had a conversation with Ben about their majors and what their future plans were. After they had put all of the dishes away as well as some of the leftovers they moved back into the family room and surrounded the tree. Deb and Vic sat on the couch while Ben, Michael and Brian sat on the floor. They had started passing out presents when Ben's attention seemed diverted for a moment. He got up and went back downstairs only to return holding the two kittens who had woken up in a grumpy mood. They quieted down once they managed to wiggle into a comfortable position on Ben's and Michael's laps.

Part of the Novotny family tradition was to open the stockings first and Brian managed to get each stocking passed out to the right person. He had to laugh at how each stocking reflected their personalities. Ben had a traditional red and white where as Mikey's had a picture of Captain Astro helping deliver presents with Santa. Brian's was dark green velvet with his name written in gold trim. Deb's had images of Christmas ornaments and candy canes all over her stocking in an array of colours were as Vic's stocking was a white on white print with fur trim.

Brian was the first to start tearing into the little gifts inside. He had to admit that they definitely had him in mind when they picked out his stocking stuffers since there were twelve boxes of assorted condoms. Michael was chuckling away and finally asked Brian if it was enough to last him a year, Brian figured a month, two months tops.

Michael was the next to open his stocking stuffers and found the latest copy of Captain Astro, a small bottle of aftershave and some school supplies. Ben was the next to open his stocking and received similar gifts to Michael but instead of a Captain Astro it was the new paperback by his favorite fictional author. He also found some of his favorite chocolates and a small jewelry box. He looked over at Michael who seemed shocked to see it in his stocking before he opened it. Ben pulled out the ring and looked at the inscription inside.

"Me too," whispered Ben before giving Michael a searing kiss. Michael pulled the ring out of Ben's hands and placed it on his pinky where it fit perfectly.

Deb opened her stocking next to find some of her favorite make-up along with some large Christmas themed earrings. Vic opened his own stocking and found it filled with chocolates, candies and two tickets to a local theatrical production. They were just about to open the rest of the gifts when there was a knock at the door. Deb got up from the couch to answer it as Brian and Michael distributed out the gifts. They could hear Deb talking to the person at the door and she finally moved aside to let the individual in. The mountain of gifts that they were trying to bring in all at once while Deb tried to verbally direct them into the family room obscured the person who entered. Once at their destination the gifts were placed on the ground and the figure stood up revealing it was Ben's mother.

"I thought you couldn't make it. Has Aunt Susan gotten better and why didn't you tell me?"

"Well Susan isn't one hundred percent yet but one of her neighbours agreed to stay with her for the next few days since she doesn't have any family and some of your cousins are supposed to drop by. I made the arrangements with Deb to surprise you. We have never spent a Christmas apart."

Ben reached up to embrace his mother as tears began to cloud her eyes. Brian remembered that it was the first Christmas without her husband. Brian made sure to clear the large armchair so that she could have a place to sit.

"I am so sorry. I didn't mean to dampen the celebration but I am happy to see you all again. You must be Brain, I think we met briefly last summer."

"Yes ma'am."

Ben's mother reached down again and grabbed on of the packages from her little mountain and passed it to Brian. He was slightly shocked for a moment when he finally turned to her and told her, "You didn't have to."

"No but I wanted to. I hope you like it, I thought it was something you might enjoy on a cold night."

Brian ripped open the paper and then the box until he pulled a dark green sweater that looked like it would fit him perfectly with cable knitting.

"I made it especially for you since Michael told me your size and your favourite colour. I always like to make gifts for those closest to me."

"Thank you. It looks perfect. No one has ever knit me a sweater before."

"Don't worry with me around you'll get used to it. Just ask Ben who probably has more sweaters than he could possibly ever want."

Brian looked up to see Ben smiling at his mother as the rest of the new presents were passed out and opened. He couldn't help but smile as he remembered what Vic had tried to tell him earlier, that he would never lose Michael but much to Brian's surprise they had now added two more family members. After all the present were opened and every one had thanked each other and shown off their new gifts they settled into talking about what had been going on in their lives in the past few months. Michael had shifted his position until he was seated between Ben's legs and both of the kittens started climbing over top of him. Ben's mother watched as the kittens played with Michael then Ben freely as if last night had never happened.

"Who are those two?"

Ben momentarily stopped fighting with one of the kittens to answer his mother," Michael rescued them last night when someone decided to try and get rid of them in an inhumane way. We haven't figured out names for them."

"What about something reflective of Christmas like Joy or Holly."

Michael picked up both of the kittens and showcased their bare stomachs to Ben.

"I don't think that would work since they are both males until we get them fixed."

Brian almost laughed when he watched Michael and Vic squirm at the mention of getting anything neutered. He felt a weird kinship with the new additions. Yesterday their future seemed so bleak and hopeless only to be rescued by Michael and surrounded by unconditional love. Years ago Brian would never have expected to be able to spend a holiday or any other day surrounded by a happy family that he had become a part. One life was so dark compared to the light that filled his heart when he was here. He suddenly had figured out the perfect names.

"How about Ebony and Ivory?"

Everyone seemed to agree unanimously that the names were a wonderful idea. Brain felt like telling them of course it was wonderful after all he had thought of it. Instead he was content to just be here knowing no matter what this would always be his home.


End of "Winter Wonders" by Amok -- email

back to fiction index page