Choices

By Amok


Michael could not help but be extremely proud as he watched numerous parents stare at the work of his talented son. It had taken some time on the art teacher part to finally convince Hunter to display his photography along with some help from Michael and Ben but he finally agreed. Michael's favourite photos were pictures of Dawn a few days after she was born. Hunter also had a few amazing shots of Ben that captured a perfect moment in time. Michael had always treasured the photos Hunter took of their family remembering each occasion. One of the more powerful pictures was of Ben with his top off wearing an old pair of jeans sitting on their couch and Dawn cradled in his arms. Michael noticed his mother talking to a couple that Michael recognized as being Jason's parents. Hunter and Jason had become friends since they both had experienced a hard home life until they were adopted as older children.

"Oh, I don't think we could be any prouder of him. He is quite the impressive young man."

"Yes, I have heard some of what his life was like before with an abusive father and mother. It was great the way Michael and Ben took him in. It takes a great deal of patience and love to provide older children from bad home the loving family they deserve."

"It is so great that he is with Ben and Michael considering what they all share in common. I am really proud that they are all so …"

Michael moved quickly beside his mother and while trying to remain inconspicuous he pinched her arm hard. Debbie looked up at her son to see that he didn't want her to say anything else.

"Well I think Ben and Hunter are both very talented in their own ways as well as very communicative with their art. Mother could you please come with me and help me keep an eye on Dawn and Gus."

Michael could feel his mother's eyes shooting daggers into him as he led her away from the group. He knew this was only the beginning and it was a conversation that was long overdue.

Later the next day...

Vic had called early in the morning to invite Ben and Michael over for some coffee and snacks. They both thought it a little odd that they were invited but not Hunter. While they were trying to decide if they would go Emmett came over to see if Hunter wanted to go to a party-planning exhibition to get some new inspiration. He had managed to convince him to come with the mention of free food. Michael was always amazed at how much food that small body could consume. Hunter had gone upstairs to grab his jacket before going and left Michael alone with Emmett in the living room.

"Honey, you are not ashamed of Hunter in any way are you?" "Why would you think that? I am grateful for everyday that he has spent with us. He has already come so far considering the obstacles he had to overcome. I could never be ashamed of him."

"Well Deb mentioned you might be."

"Somehow I think that is going to come up later today. We got an interesting invite to coffee. Were you sent here on a mission to get it so that it would just be the four of us this afternoon."

"Your Mother does have a way of getting in the middle of things."

"She also has a way of misinterpreting people."

Hunter returned with his shoes and jacket on. Emmett hesitantly waved goodbye as he noticed the change in Michael's mood. The setting of his jaw with his arms hugging his stomach was all he needed to see to know that Michael was extremely upset. Ben was also able to recognize these gestures and slid up behind Michael to hold him and kiss his neck.

"Shall we head over now?"

"We would be early."

"We were not really invited over for coffee there is going to be a confrontation and we might as well get it over with."

"Okay baby, I will meet you in the car."

* * * * *

Michael and Ben sat quietly on the sofa in his mother living room while Vic was in the kitchen preparing the brownies he made and getting the coffee ready. His mother sat across from him just staring at him with this look of disgust. When Vic returned the tension in the room was at a breaking point and Michael decided to plunge in headfirst.

"I have never been nor will I ever be ashamed of Hunter but I fully intend to protect him."

Ben and Vic just looked at Michael shocked that he felt the need to say anything. Vic had suspected all was not right when Deb insisted he make the arrangements for her to see her son but this seemed to becoming out of left field. The one truth Vic felt would always exist was Ben and Michael's love and acceptance of their unique family. Deb on the other hand was just waiting for the right time to say what had been on her mind all night.

"It sure didn't seem that way last night. Just because you lacked the courage to come out in public does not mean that Hunter will feel the same way. There is an old saying that the truth will set you free."

"You yourself referred to Hunter as a young man but that also means he is old enough to make his own decisions. Admitting that you are gay is a very personal thing and I don't want you to make that decision for him. If Hunter feels that Jason or his family should know the truth should come from him. The truth may set you free but telling them would be telling your version of the truth not Hunter's and I fear he would only feel trapped by a circumstance you created."

"Maybe if you could show a little support towards him as well as the gay community it would make it easier for him to admit."

"I have my own priorities. My family come first than my career and after that I really have no desire to be out there protesting further more I have my opinions which do not always agree with yours."

"Ah, yes you wouldn't want to do anything for "them" would you."

"I do not like the idea that there has to be an us versus them ideology. I think by trying to create a separate community we only isolate us and contribute to the problem. Some individuals may never change there minds about homosexuals but I think we would get a lot farther if we stressed on the fact that we are not that different from heterosexuals and that we are a part of their society as well as their communities. "

"So Woody's closure did not add to the gap? Homosexuals have the right to have a place that they can gather in without feeling judged"

"Yes we should have places were we feel comfortable. Homosexuals are a minority and our rights need to be protected but we should not receive special treatment."

"Special treatment how was that showing special treatment other than the fact that Stockwell targeted us."

"Did some one expose themselves in an inappropriate manner that was not legal at Woody's"

"The cops wouldn't have been down there if it weren't for Stockwell's campaign."

"No they wouldn't have been and that is my point. We believe we can get away with these acts of unacceptable activities because the cops avoid Liberty Ave like the plague. Just because we have not been caught for something in the past does not make it right. They went after Babylon because five people collapsed due to bad drugs. How do you think their families felt getting a call in the middle of the night being told to come to the hospital? I can't say I am totally innocent in this since I have done drugs from time to time and so far I have been lucky. If I were to get caught with possession although I wouldn't be happy it was a choice I made and therefore I have to deal with the consequences. I also think it gives Liberty Ave a negative image. There are other stores, the diner and a few more bars that are nothing like that. Those incidents were indications that someone went to far. Even though Stockwell's intention are less than admirable if it keeps some one from overdosing or putting their safety at risk it may not be the worse thing. You were angry about what happened to Jason Kemp and yet since they decided to increase the amounts of patrols around Liberty there have been fewer cases of violence. You cannot have it both ways. You either follow the laws ensuring everyone's rights and safety or you don't. I do not believe that Liberty Ave should be the only area that receives extra attention but we should not be exempt from the law."

"This coming from the man who took a minor and ran away from the cops."

"That was a different situation. I was looking out for the welfare of a child please tell me how that could compare to drug use and exposing one's privates. In that one instance I was practacing civil disobedience but the alternative was to put Hunter in danger. I have already tried to justify my decision about this before and I refuse to try again since you do not seem the least bit in listening to me. I will make this absolutely clear; you are not to go around telling people about Hunter sexual preferences or his HIV status. That is a choice that will be left up to Hunter and Hunter alone."

Michael was so angry he could feel himself shaking with some of the things his mother had said. It irked him to no end that once she had decided what her position was you either followed her blindly or you were wrong. There were many times were she tried to give advice to Ben and Michael on how to raise their children but Michael felt that it was important to trust in Hunter and let him deal with his own problems. As much as Michael wanted to protect his family from the outside world he knew he couldn't.

Michael could still remember the first time Dawn had fallen. She was sitting on the couch with Hunter as he played Peek a boo with her. While hunter had his face covered Dawn had tried to get down and managed to have a loud collision with the floor. She had cried and it took a while for Ben and Michael to get her calmed down. She had a large goose bump on her head and Hunter kept trying to apologize and told them it was an accident. Michael knew it was an accident since Hunter loved Dawn and would never harm her. It was one of life's nasty little lesson that no matter how hard you tried their were going to bumps, scrapes, and bruises. All any parent could do in some cases was be their for their child after the fact.

Michael got up from the couch and headed out the door without saying another word. It was starting to get cold outside with the fall but Michael enjoyed the chill. He heard the door close behind him and strong arms rested Michael's jacket on his shoulder before holding him.

"I am sorry, we should have talked about this before we came over but she just made me really angry."

"I agree that Hunter should be able to tell people about himself when he is ready. We were lucky that we were able to get past his insecurities from his previous life but we were there when he was vulnerable. I hope that he will not grow up to be as impenetrable as Brian is but there are certain parts of ourselves that we choose to keep private. There are things that we have shared with each other that just remain between us. If Hunter wishes to keep his health and sexual preferences unknown to all but his family and closest friends then I intend to respect that wish as do you."

"You are not mad."

"I know from personal experience some of the looks or comments you can receive when people find out details about your life. I have lost some friends when I came out and even more when I became positive. They just were not sure of how to deal with the news and felt too awkward. Hell, if I had been one of them I am not sure how I would have dealt with the news."

"I know, you would have used your strength and compassion to support them in any way possible."

Ben just smiled at Michael as he pulled him closer and kissed his cheek.

"You are getting cold and I think it is time to get you home."

The two walked holding each other's hands until they got to their car. Ben opened the door for Michael kissed his cheek again before getting into the drivers seat.

Michael walked into the comfort and warmth of their own home and was able to relax a little. He removed his jacket and then helped Ben out of his jacket.

"Your hands are still cold. How about I run you a bath so can warm up and relax."

"Sounds wonderful."

Michael walked around the lower part of their home as he heard water gushing out of the faucet upstairs. He ran his fingers over the framed photography that was displayed almost through out the house. He stopped to glance at pictures of Emmett, Ted, Brian and Justin. He had to chuckle at how Hunter always took either shots of Brian alone or shots of Justin in the most unflattering positions. On the one hutch in the dining room where Michaels most treasured photographs and some of them where before Hunter had arrived. There was a photo of Mel and Linds at their commitment ceremony and Gus at his first birthday. He still kept one photo of Hank and him self when they had gone to the comic book store together. There were photo's of Mel, Linds, Hunter, and Ben each holding Dawn after she was born. He heard the water stop and made his way up the stair.

In the bathroom Ben was bent over placing some scented oil in the water and seemed oblivious to Michaels presence. Michael came up from behind and placed his hands on Ben's exposed flank and moved his back and forth. Ben stopped what he was doing and closed his eyes for a moment just trying to relish this moment. Ben stood up and turned to face Michael so that he could hold him close. He worked on getting Michael's shirt un-tucked while Michael ran his hands up and down Ben's arms. Ben slowly undid the buttons and let Michael's peach dress shirt fall to the ground and ran his hands over the bare skin. Part of Ben just wanted to lead Michael to the bedroom and yet he knew Michael needed to relax and regain his strength so that he could deal with his mother. The tan dress pants were the next to go and easily glided off Michael's creamy skin. Michael shivered slightly at being exposed to the cool air only to be surrounded by warm arms as he found his place snuggled up against Ben. Ben's arms slid down his back and began to pull on Michael's underwear until they reached his mid thigh and gravity took over.

Ben moved behind Michael and pushed slightly on his back indicating Michael to get in the tub. Michael tested out the warm water with his one foot that had begun to turn a light shade of pink with all the heat. He gradually stepped into the top before sinking into the water, which just covered his abdomen. He looked over at Ben who was now kneeling beside the tub with a washcloth in one of his hands and the sleeves rolled up on his cranberry coloured dress shirt. Ben dipped the cloth in and allowed the water to trickle down Michaels shoulder. Using some body wash Ben worked it into lather before washing Michaels shoulder then the back of his neck and the other shoulder. He then worked the lather further down following Michael's spine until he reached the small of Michaels back. Michael turned slightly until he found Bens hand and tugged on it giving Ben a silent request. Ben shook his head no and rinsed out the cloth.

The white washcloth was full of water and Ben squeezed it over the front of Michael's chest and watched as the droplets found their way to one of his nipples. The nipple grew hard with the loss of the warm water and turned a darker shade of pink demanding attention. Ben repeated the process over and over again fascinated by the effect it was having on his lover's body. Soon Ben had lathered up the towel again and concentrated on washing Michaels upper chest. Michael rested his head against the porcelain rim as wave after wave of pleasure washed over him. It was strange that his body almost seemed to relax to move and yet at the same time he could feel some of the muscles inside of him becoming tighter and tighter. After being generously lathered Ben used the hand cloth to rinse Michael off and couldn't resist the temptation to tweak his nipples. He looked up at Michael as he once again felt a pull on his hand and was no longer able to say no.

Ben pulled himself off of the tile and made short work of his shirt and black jeans. As he was reaching for his underwear he could feel Michael's wet hand pushed against the front of it rubbing hard in small circles. Ben rested his knees against the generous rim of the tub and allowed Michael to slowly pull of his underwear. Michael traced the line of Ben hipbone and inner thighs before once again finding Bens hands and inviting him into the water. Michael scooted forward in the tub and the cool sensation of air hitting his back was quickly replaced with the heat of Ben's body as he leaned back.

Michael claimed the washcloth and pulled Ben's leg so that it was resting over top of his lap. With his hand under Ben's knee he pulled it partially out of the water and began to work lather on to it. The short tiny blond hairs seemed to glisten as Michael washed away the suds. He then concentrated on Ben's feet washing the top then the underside and special attention on the toes. Michael was rewarded with a light chuckle from Ben that resonated against his back and created little waves that licked at his exposed skin. The chuckle was replaced with a moan as Michael began to suck on Ben's big toe. Michael was well aware of how this was driving Ben crazy and found that he was also enjoying it. Ben pulled away slightly as he rested more of his back against the tub. Michael continued to suck while moving his backside up and down against Ben making even bigger waves. All too soon Michael felt his hips trapped by Ben's hands as he was pulled back to rest against Ben. Ben used his one hand to direct Michael's head to rest against the crook of his neck and he pulled his leg back in the water.

"Soon, baby. First I just want you to relax."

"I am relaxed."

"I think your back is still a little tight. Why don't you just wait a little longer and let the heat and water do its work."

Michael just sighed and shifted slightly so that he was even closer. Ben used the washcloth to wash Michaels abdomen and thighs be very careful to leave one region untouched no matter how much Michael wiggled.

"Are you still upset?"

"What would make you think that?"

"I just can't help but feel that maybe you left some things unsaid."

Darn, Michael had hoped that Ben wouldn't pick up on that. He could never figure out how Ben just seemed to instinctively know when Michael was holding back but he did. Maybe he was doing some strange hand gesture or look but whatever the case he seemed unable to control it.

"It is nothing."

"How many times do I have to tell you that as far as I am concerned if it is something that bothers you in the slightest than it is not nothing to me."

"It just brings back old demons that are better left buried."

"If it was buried it would be dead and whatever you are feeling is not dead to you."

I feel like I am eleven all over again."

"Because that was when your mother told you were gay."

Michael just looked back at Ben in shock that he would realize that before just nodding his head and settling back down again.

"You want to make sure that Hunter does not go through the same thing you did."

"Most people usually admire my mom for telling me since it made my life so much easier."

"But it didn't make your life easier."

"Nope. I was just starting to consider the idea that I was gay and had not yet come to terms with it myself. Then out comes my mother telling me that I am gay and that I should be proud of what I am when everyone else was saying something different. It felt weird her discussing what it was like between two men and although part of me was interested another part wanted to scream that was not me. The worse part of all was when she decided to become a PFLAG mom and then it seemed everyone knew."

"Wait a minute, you did not tell any of your friends or family?"

"I never got the chance. She told them for me and before I knew it more than half my friends were gone I was no longer able to see my cousins and I was getting beaten up at school on a regular basis."

"She told the kids at school about you?"

"Not directly but some of the parents saw this demonstration she dragged me to and even though I never admitted it I was already branded."

Ben pulled Michael even closer until they seemed melded together as one as Ben shared Michael's pain and anger.

"I am sure she didn't mean to hurt you."

"She still did and continues to do so. I am so tired of being told by her how I should feel and how I should act. It seems no matter what I do she eventually will find fault with it and yet she never seems to try to see my side of things."

"Like the day at the diner when they were planning on protesting Woody's closure."

"She may not agree with what Brian said but to publicly chastise him like that was just cruel. She knew that he believed either way that the electorate candidate would be against gay rights and that at least Stockwell was being honest about it. I would like to believe that for every homophobic person there are at least two that are not but that was Brian's personal belief. She could have talked to him privately and it would have been a hell of a lot more productive than trying to back him against a wall in defensive mode."

"But Brian didn't feel the need to defend himself. Ultimately Brian may care about your mother but he does not feel that he has to justify himself or his actions to her. She did however do that to you today and she inadvertently did it to you when you were eleven." "I do not know why it is so important for me to make her happy with me but it is. There are so many rare times that she says she is proud of me. I should probably leave that up to Sunshine."

"If Deb was not proud of you I don't think she would go to all the trouble she does with PFLAG and other events. She may have her brother who is gay but then she could have been more vocal before you were born. She may also have the other boys from the dinner who she treats as family but she would not have known any of them as well if it were not for you. I think she is proud of you she just has lousy ways of showing it. I happen to know for a fact that she speaks very highly of you behind your back. Your mother taught you how to be a kind and loving person. It might be time for you to return the favour and show her how to be patient and understanding."

"Or I could just try to convince your mother to adopt me."

"Ewww. I don't think I like that idea. It would mean I was having sex with my brother. Second of all after me she is a firm believer that one child is most certainly enough."

"It was worth a try. I guess that means I am just going to have to try and find some comprise with my mother then."

"You will live."

Michael turned around in the tub and straddled Ben's thighs to rest against his chest. Ben held him and washed the rest of his back while occasionally teasing Michael's opening. Ben felt a light nip at the bottom of his ear and then a more tongue as it darted into his ears swirling around. The structure of his ear was then followed with confident strokes as Michael laid claim to familiar territory. Ben realized that at some point he had grasped Michael's ass and was rocking him back and forth mimicking the movements he hoped they would soon be engaged in.

"Michael the water is getting cold."

"What do you think we could do since Hunter is gone for the rest of the day?"

"Wrestle mania?'

"Only you would remember what I told you."

Michael's face had turned bright red as he tried to hide himself in Ben. Ben's hand reached out to lift his chin as he admired the sight of Michael blushing as his tongue darted out to wet his sweet lips.

"There is something else you could teach your mother humility. Personally I love it when you talk dirty."

Michael rose out of the tub and steeped out giving Ben a very generous view of his tight little body. He bent over near Ben who was still in the tub, pulled on the short blond hairs and when his head was back nibbled on Ben's lower lip. Ben opened his mouth and the two explored and tasted each other. All to soon Michael broke their kiss and gazed into Ben's eyes. "Hey stud, hurry up and get out of the tub. I hope you are all relaxed and rested because you are in for a very long… hard… ride." Michael licked at the cleft in Ben's chin before heading towards their bedroom.

Ben practically leaped out of the tub and barely swiped himself with a towel before he headed for the bedroom. Deb may not be forth coming with praise but Ben was more than happy to make sure Michael would realize just how much he was loved.


End of "Choices" by Amok -- email

back to fiction index page