Watching You Walk Away

By Abisel

This was my entry for the Showtime fic contest.

FROM PORTLAND TO PITTSBURGH AND BACK AGAIN

The music at Babylon pulsed as Michael and Ben finished a particularly long kiss.

"That was amazing!" Michael said, smiling into his boyfriend's eyes.

"Thanks," Ben said, "Now I have to go to the little boys' room. Wait here."

Michael leaned against the bar, feeling like his life--for that moment at least--was perfect. Had he ever felt so happy? So content? Suddenly he felt someone's eyes looking at him. "That was some kiss." The voice was low, sexy, familiar ...and a little sad. Michael turned around and there he was, his previous great love: Doctor Dave. "Long time, no see," the hunky Doctor said, chucking Michael on the chin.

Michael's heart suddenly sank and leapt and spun all around his chest. "What are you doing here...?"

"Hi to you too," David replied.

"Shit, I'm sorry. Hi, David." Michael walked toward his former lover and hugged him. "So, what are you doing here?"

"I came to close on the house and I thought I would come to Babylon for old times' sake. You look great, Michael." David let his eyes wander over his former lover.

"So, you sold your house? Things must be going well for you in Portland, huh?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact they are. Hank wants me to stay in Portland permanently - and since my practice is picking up, and I have no reason to stay in Pittsburgh anymore...I thought, 'Why not?'"

Secretly, David was hoping for another chance with Michael. Laurie and Hank had persuaded him to try to get Michael to come back to Portland. They said they couldn't stand to see him so miserable. He was not expecting to find Michael looking so happy with this other guy. Realistically though, he shouldn't have been surprised. It had been a year since they had broken up. He couldn't have expect Michael to stay single forever.

"I'm sorry things didn't work out for us David," Michael said sadly.

"Still apologizing, huh?" David said, and immediately regretted it. "I am too. I knew you wouldn't be happy moving away from your family and away from Brian."

"David...don't. Brian had nothing to do with it. I couldn't get a job and I had no friends. You were so busy trying to get your practice going... I was lonely and miserable. I had to leave; I'm sorry."

David smiled another sad smile. "I'm sorry too, Michael. I wish I could have been enough for you. I should have spent more time helping you adjust to being away from your familiar surroundings. But hey, it looks like you're pretty happy with your new boyfriend. Have you two been together long?"

"About 8 months now. Ben's a great guy. He's a Professor at Carnegie Mellon." Michael smiled.

David's heart sank. He was surprised that Michael and this Ben guy had been together that long. He bitterly wondered if Brian would let Michael be happy in this new relationship. Defeated, he decided to try and make a quick and dignified exit.

"Well, good. I'm happy for you." Suddenly, David spotted Ben heading their way. Now was as good a time as any, and besides, he didn't want to meet Michael's new lover. David hugged him again.

"Well, good-bye Michael. It was really good to see you again, and I hope you have a happy life."

Michael hugged David tightly. "Thanks, I hope you have a happy life too."

As David walked away he wiped at the tear that had made its way down his cheek.

Ben walked over to Michael and handed him his beer. "Who was that?"

"That was my past." Michael said "And you, my sexy Professor, are my future." Michael kissed Ben and turning around, he watched as David walked out the door.

Contact the author at abisel42@aol.com

More by Abisel

back to fiction index page