Please Stay

By Abisel


Ben stood over the bed and stared at Hunter. He fought the urge to brush aside the stray strand of hair that covered Hunter's eyes. His heart almost broke at the sight of him lying in that bed. He looked so innocent, but Ben knew better. He knew that Hunter had been through so much...too much for someone his age. And now he had to deal with the news that he was positive. It didn't seem fair.

Ben felt the warm arms of his lover encircle his waist. He leaned into Michael and sighed.

"What are you doing?" Michael whispered.

"Just checking on Hunter."

"You were checking to make sure he was still here," Michael said as he gently squeezed his lover.

"You caught me."

"Look, sweetheart, I know that you want to help him, but you need to realize that he just might not want your...our help. Are you prepared to let him go if he doesn't?"

Ben turned in Michael's arms. "You said 'our' help. What made you change your mind?"

Michael leaned up and kissed Ben. "Yes, I did say 'our.' I don't know. There's just something about him. And I know that you want to help him, too. I trust your judgment. You must have a good reason for wanting to do all you can for him, so who am I to stand in your way?"

Smiling, Ben kissed his lover. "You're everything, that's who you are. Thank you, Michael."

"You're welcome." Michael looked down at Hunter. "He looks so innocent when he's sleeping. He acts so tough, sometimes I forget he's really just a kid. I really hope he lets us help."

Ben felt a little more hopeful than he had. He was about to say so, when Hunter shifted in the bed. Ben drew Michael towards the doorway, where they wouldn't disturb the sleeping boy. He kept his voice low, glancing at the bed once in a while to make sure Hunter was still sleeping. "I'm relieved that you feel that way, because I do, too. I want him to know that he can lead a relatively normal life even though he's positive. I remember when I first found out I was positive. I really thought it was the end of the world. I wish I could spare him those feelings, but I know that I can't. I just want to be here for him when, and if, he's ready to talk about it."

"Well, I'm sure he's putting on a brave front for us, but there's just something...I don't know how to explain it, but I saw a fear in his eyes when you told him he was positive. Of course he covered that up right away, but it made me want to help him, too."

Ben hugged Michael to him. "I'm so glad that you understand."

"Well, I do, but, you still didn't answer my question. Are you prepared to accept the fact that he might not want our help?"

"Yes, I think I am," Ben sighed. "It doesn't mean that it won't hurt if he doesn't let us, but at least I'll know that I...that we...tried. I don't want to be like everyone else in his life. He's been treated like garbage and I want him to know that there are people who would like to help, that we think he's worth more than a two hundred dollar fuck without a condom."

Michael hugged Ben tightly. "Well, all I can say is that I hope he realizes how lucky he is that you were the one who saw that he is worth it. I'll support you in anyway I can. I love you, and I really do want to help Hunter, too."

"Thanks, Michael. I'm lucky to have such an understanding boyfriend," Ben said, before he kissed his lover again.

Michael chuckled. "Well, how about showing me just how lucky you feel?"

"Okay, I'll meet you in our bedroom where I'll be very happy to show you, boy toy wonder."

Michael smiled. "Don't be too long."

After Michael left, Ben slipped back into the room, to Hunter's bedside. He leaned over the bed and brushed the hair from Hunter's face. "I hope you stay," he whispered before he turned to go and join his lover.

He didn't notice the tears as they slid from Hunter's eyes.


End of "Please Stay" by Abisel -- email

back to fiction index page