Fighting for Hunter

By Abisel

Summary: Ben and Michael fight for Hunter. Season 3 spoilers.

Rated R

Edited 13 March 2007

Part 1

Michael sat in the car just staring at Hunter while he slept. He was moaning and almost thrashing in his sleep. Michael was sure he was lost in some nightmare that used to be his life. He placed a hand on Hunter's head and that seemed to quiet him down. He couldn't believe all that this poor kid had been though. What kind of mother would make her own son sell himself for money? It was just too horrible to think about. But he had to think about it. He had to get Hunter away as fast as possible. Michael sighed and sat back with his head against the seat. He missed Ben.

~~~~~~~

Ben sighed as he threw the blankets off his body. He had never been so frustrated in his life. Where the hell were Michael and Hunter? He was hoping that Michael would call him, but no such luck. He couldn't believe that he hadn't been arrested on the spot when Rita showed up with the police. Ben sighed thinking about how much Rita Montgomery wanted him thrown in jail, but the police really had nothing to hold him on. They questioned him at length. Ben told them that Michael had gone out and that he hadn't seen Hunter since early that morning. He told them that Hunter had been upset by Rita's visit and that he wouldn't be surprised if he never came back. The police had given him a card and told him to call them if Hunter showed up. They also said that they wanted to talk to Michael and that he should go to the station as soon as possible.

Ben got out of bed and went into the kitchen to make some tea. He missed Michael and Hunter. They had formed their own little family in the short time they had been together and it was great to see that Hunter was really starting to trust them. Ben still couldn't believe what Hunter's mother made him do. It was too horrifying to even think about. He couldn't imagine how Hunter must have felt. No wonder he didn't want anything to do with his mother. Ben wished that Rita had never found them. Ben took his steaming cup of tea into the living room and was about to sit down when he heard someone knocking at the door. Hoping that it was Michael, he rushed to answer it. The disappointment showed clearly on his face as he looked at the scrawny kid standing there.

"Can I help you?"

"You Ben?"

"Yes, I am."

"I have a message from Hunter. He said to tell you that he's OK and so is Michael, and that they will call you when they can."

Relief flooded though him. "Is that all he said?

"Yeah, sorry." The poor kid was at a loss for words. "OK, gotta go."

Ben reached in his back pocket for his wallet when he realized that it was on the night stand in the bedroom. "Wait a minute, I'll..."

"No, mister. It's OK. Hunter told me you would try to give me money. I...I can't take it from you. I owe him ... a lot. So thanks but no thanks. I don't think he'll call me again, but if he does, I'll be back. See ya." And with that, the boy was gone.

Ben slowly closed the door and leaned against it. He was relieved that they were OK, but they should be here with him. Not driving around God knows where. He went back into the living room and sat down on the couch. He put his head in his hands and tried to stop his body from shaking. He wanted Michael...he wanted him home so badly.

~~~~~~~

Hunter was running down a dark alley. He could feel a presence chasing him, but he couldn't see a face. He knew he had to get away and he knew he shouldn't look back. He felt that if he did, he would become paralyzed with fear and then this thing would catch him for sure. He continued to run when suddenly there a was brick wall in front of him. He was trapped...there was no where else to go. The thing was coming at him. He tried to scream, but noting would come out. The thing was getting closer. He knew that it would reach him any minute. His heart was pounding and sweat broke out on his forehead. His body started to shake as he clawed at the bricks, desperately trying to get away. Suddenly, the thing was on him...kissing him on the cheek. "Come on Jimmy. It's time to go home with mama. You have a lot of work to do baby." Hunter started to scream. He knew deep in his soul that now he would never stop. He wished that he could get away, but he couldn't The thing was dragging him away. He wanted to go home. He wanted Ben and Michael. Where were they? Why weren't they helping him? Why didn't they save him? The thing just kept pulling, and he just kept screaming.

~~~~~~~

Michael woke with a start. Hunter was making a sound that scared the hell out of him. It sounded almost animalistic. He reached over and touched him on the cheek, caressing him gently to try and soothe him. His heart was breaking at the thought of what this kid must be dreaming about. He wished for the hundredth time that Ben was here with them. He would know how to make Hunter feel better. He promised himself that he would call him as soon as they found a phone in the morning. He didn't care if the cops had the phone tapped. He needed to hear Ben's voice. Michael leaned his head back again and just watched over Hunter as he slept.

~~~~~~~

Ben woke up in a panic. He called out for Michael but then suddenly remembered that he wasn't there. The phone was ringing and he quickly reached for it.

"Michael? Is it you?"

"Ben, thank God."

Relief flooded through him for the second time since this whole thing started "Baby, are you OK? Is Hunter all right?"

"Yeah, we're OK. Hunter was having nightmares all night. The poor kid is exhausted."

"Where is he?"

"He went into this deli to get us some coffee. I could really use the caffeine, I didn't sleep a wink last night. I...I really miss you."

Ben could tell that Michael was on the verge of tears. "Then come home to me baby. I miss you so much." Ben gripped the phone tighter in his hand. "Michael, you have to come home and you have to bring Hunter."

"I won't let that bitch get her hands on him again Ben. We promised him and I'm not going to bring him home until I know that he'll be safe. I won't be responsible for putting him back in that house with her. You know as well as I do that she'll have him selling himself again in no time. I can't...I won't do that to him Ben ... and I'm surprised that you would ask me to?"

Ben could hear the anger in Michael voice. "Listen to me Michael. I talked to Melanie, and she sent me to a lawyer friend of hers who has dealt with a lot of custody cases. We have to meet with him tonight at five. Can you get back in time to go with me?"

"What am I supposed to do with Hunter? Where am I supposed to take him?

"Bring him with you. The lawyer wants to talk to him too. Michael, I would never hurt Hunter. You know that don't you?" Ben waited for what felt like an eternity for Michael to answer him.

"I know you wouldn't," he almost whispered. "but you scared me yesterday. You wanted Hunter to go with them and I just couldn't let him. I'm not sorry about that either." Michael watched through the store window as Hunter paid for their coffee. "Ben, we have to keep him safe. Promise me that this lawyer isn't going to make him go with her. Promise me Ben, or we aren't going to come home."

Ben knew that Michael meant business. "I'll call Mr. Coyle right now ... he's the lawyer, and I'll tell him what our terms are. I won't let him put Hunter back with Rita if I can help it. Call me in an hour and I'll let you know where we stand."

"OK, I will ... and Ben?"

"Yeah baby?"

"I love you."

Ben felt a lump form instantly in his throat. "I love you too. Call me in an hour."

Part 2

Ben hung up the phone and immediately dialed Coyle's office. He hoped that he would be told just what he wanted to hear. That Hunter didn't have to go back with Rita.

"Hi, Mr. Bruckner. What can I do for you?"

"Hi, Mr. Coyle. I just heard from Michael and he won't bring Hunter back unless you can guarantee that Hunter won't have to go with Mrs. Montgomery."

"Well, from what you have told me so far, I can pretty much guarantee that he won't have to go with her."

"Oh that's fantastic! Michael will be so relieved to hear that."

"Before you get too happy Mr. Bruckner..."

"Please, call me Ben."

"OK, Ben. I just have to tell you that Hunter will not be going home with you and Mr. Novotny either. He will have to be placed back in foster care until this matter is resolved."

"Damn it! Why can't he stay with us? We've been taking care of him for months!"

"I understand that, Ben, but Mrs. Montgomery has filed a restraining order against you and Mr. Novotny. She doesn't want you anywhere near her son. And since she still has legal custody, the court will grant her request. Hunter will be placed with a foster family, and you and Mr. Novotny will not be allowed to have any contact with him until this matter is resolved."

Ben took a deep breath. "Well, I guess we don't have any other choice do we?"

"Listen Ben, I know that this seems unfair. From what you've told me, this woman is unfit to have custody. We just have to prove it in court. It might take some time, but if you give me a chance and you do what I say, I will do everything in my power to see that Hunter is placed back with you and Mr. Novotny."

Ben sighed. "OK, Mr. Coyle. We will put our trust in you. I hope you don't lets us down? We really want Hunter back with us. He's a good kid and he's had a hard life. I think Michael and I are just what he needs."

I tend to agree with you. Listen, I'm due back in court but I'll see you, Mr. Novotny, and Hunter in my office at 5:00 sharp."

"See you then." Ben hung up the phone and just hoped that he could convince Michael that this was the right way to go. He knew that Michael just wanted to have everything back the way it was. So did he, but he had to let Michael know what might happen. They had to put their faith in John, and just pray that it would go the way they all wanted. He sat with the phone on his lap and waited for Michael to call back.

~~~~~~~

Later that day....

Michael walked into the apartment and straight into the outstretched arms of his lover. Hunter went into his room to give them a little privacy and to see his dog. It had only been a few days, but he had really missed, Momo.

Ben crushed Michael to him and kissed his head. "I missed you so much."

Michael's eyes were filled with tears. "I missed you too." He held onto Ben for dear life.

After a few minutes, Ben started to chuckle. "You would think we haven't seen each other in years instead of just a few days the way we're acting."

"Well, it felt like years to me. I don't ever want to spend another night apart. OK?"

Ben leaned down and kissed Michael deeply. "Never again," was all he said. He hugged Michael to him again and didn't let go for a long time.

"So, what happens now?" Michael managed to ask.

"We go see Mr. Coyle. Did you explain things to Hunter?"

"Yes, I did, and he understands. At least I hope he does. I think that you should talk to him." Michael reached up and caressed Ben's cheek with his finger. "I missed you."

"I missed you too, Michael." Ben kissed him again, and then reluctantly, they broke apart so that Ben could talk to Hunter.

~~~~~~~

Ben knocked on the door. "Can I come in?"

"Sure." Hunter was sitting on the bed petting a very happy, Momo.

"I know that Michael told you what's going to happen."

"Yeah, he told me."

Ben sat on the bed "Hunter, look at me."

With his eyes filling with tears, Hunter turned to Ben. "Why can't I just stay here with you and Michael?"

Ben's heart was breaking. "We have to listen to the lawyer. It's the way it has to be for now. But I want you to know that we are going to fight for you. We want you to live with us." Ben took Hunter's face in his hand. "Are you listening to me?"

"Yeah...I guess so." Hunter looked down, not wanting Ben to see the tears in his eyes. Not wanting to let Ben know how much he mattered to him.

Ben grabbed him in a tight hug. "We will get you back, Pal. I promise. We're not going to let her hurt you again. I mean it, Hunter. I want to know that you believe me? Tell me that you do." Ben felt Hunter squeeze him tighter.

"I do believe you."

Ben held him tight. "Michael and I ...we both love you. And we want you here with us, where you belong."

That was all it took. Ben felt Hunter's body start to shake, and he knew that he was crying. He held him tightly to his chest until Hunter had no more tears to cry.

~~~~~~~

Ben walked out of the bedroom drained. Michael just held his arms open and Ben went right to him.

"Christ, it's just so unfair. Why the hell does he have to go back to foster care when we have a home and are willing to take him in? It's just not right."

Michael held on and let Ben rant.

"I bet Rita won't even care that Hunter is positive. She'll still make him sell himself for the money. We can't let it happen, Michael."

"Don't worry, we won't." Michael led Ben to the couch where they both sat down. Michael took Ben's hands in his. "I know that we really don't have a lot of money for lawyer fees. I like John a lot, but if we lose this case, I want to hire a different lawyer. If worse comes to worse and we need the money to hire someone else, I'm going to sell the store."

"Michael, you can't do that! You love that place!"

"Well, it might be the only way. I want Hunter with us, I know you do too. If it means that I have to sell the store in order to keep him with us, than I think we have to do it. I can always find another job."

Ben knew that there would be no arguing with Michael. "You're the best man I've ever known, Michael Novotny." Ben started to get choked up. "I don't think it's possible to love you more than I do at this very moment." Ben hugged Michael tightly. He spotted Hunter standing in the doorway and knew that he had heard everything.

Hunter stood there stunned. He couldn't believe that these two men who had done more for him in a few short months, than anyone else had for him in his lifetime, were willing to give up so much just to keep him. He didn't say a word. He just walked toward them both. Standing, both Ben and Michael took Hunter in their arms and they just held each other.

Part 3

Ben walked into the law offices of Coyle, Wilson and Morton. "Hi, Mr. Coyle," Ben said as he shook John Coyle's hand. "I'm Ben Bruckner, we spoke on the phone. This is my partner, Michael Novotny."

"Please, call me John. Nice to meet you Mr. Novotny."

"Nice to meet you too." Michael said as he firmly shook Mr. Coyle's hand.

"And this is Hunt .. Jimmy Montgomery." Ben said, catching himself. He wanted to use Hunter's proper name.

"Don't look so nervous, Jimmy. I won't bite, I promise," John Coyle said as he shook hands with Hunter. He couldn't help but notice the haunted look in Jimmy's eyes. He really hoped that he would be able to help him stay with Ben and Michael.

"OK, so let's get right down to business, shall we? Tell me about your relationship with your Mom, Jimmy."

~~~~~~~

The session lasted well into the night. John told Ben and Michael that he felt they had a good case. He also told them that it wasn't always easy getting custody of child from their mother. John told all three that Jimmy would have to turn himself in to the police, and because of his age, he would be placed in a group home. He could see that none of them were happy about that, but they also knew they didn't have a choice. John went on to tell Ben and Michael that they had to look into becoming foster parents. This would make things move faster when the judge was ready to place Jimmy, hopefully with them. John also suggested that they call Child Protection Services and have Rita Montgomery investigated too. He had no doubts that what Jimmy said was true, but he also knew that he would need a more detailed interview from him and from a credible witness or witnesses, who might have heard Rita tell Jimmy to prostitute himself to help pay her bills. He hoped for Jimmy's sake that they would be able to find someone to testify to that fact.

~~~~~~~

Three months later...
Judge Labranche's chambers

Hunter was seated and ready to testify.

"Hi, Jimmy. This is Judge Labranche. He is going to be the one to rule on your case.

Hunter nervously eyed the Judge.

Are you ready to begin?

Hunter shook his head yes.

John smiled to put him at ease. "Jimmy, can you please state your full name for the record?"

James Montgomery.

Thank you James, may I call you Jimmy?

Sure. Anything is beter than James.

Both John and the Judge smiled. OK, Jimmy, can you please tell the judge about your relationship with your Mom."

"I don't have a relationship with her, It's kind of ... ahhh ... well, mostly business." Hunter was a little hesitant.

"I understand, Jimmy. Let me ask you this. Where's your father?"

"He walked out on us after my Mom stabbed him. I haven't seen him since and I don't care if I ever see him again. He was a drunk and all he did was beat us." Hunter couldn't keep the bitterness out of his voice.

"How old were you when he left?"

"Thirteen." Hunter was drumming his fingers on his knee. He didn't want to tell this story to the judge for fear he wouldn't believe him.

Ben noticed Hunter's nerveousness and wished that he could hold onto his hand for moral support.

"Jimmy, I'm going to have to ask you some really hard questions now. If at any point you need to take a break, just let me know, OK?"

"OK."

"Now, is it true that your Mom made you get a job?"

"Yes. She said that I had to help out with the bills. She said that she couldn't do it all by herself and that if I wanted to live with her, I was gonna have to start giving her money or else she would throw me out."

"So did you try to get a job?"

"Yeah, but they won't hire a thirteen year old to do anything but deliver papers. My mother said that I didn't make enough doing that. She needed more to make ends meet."

"So what else did you do?"

"I tried to get a job at a few fast food places but I was too young and they wouldn't hire me. I even tried to work as a stock boy in the local supermarkets, but I just wasn't old enough."

"And can you tell the judge what your Mother wanted you to do?"

Hunter looked at Ben with a pleading look in his eyes. He knew that he would have to tell the judge, but for some reason, the words wouldn't come.

John Coyle knew that look and so he said, "Jimmy, do you need to take a break?"

"No. I'm OK, but could I have please have some water?"

"Sure." John walked slowly back to the desk and poured Hunter a glass of water. Handing it to him he said, "If you need a break Jimmy, just let me know."

Ben wanted to kiss John at that moment. He knew he was stalling so that Hunter could collect himself and Ben was grateful for that.

Michael squeezed Ben's hand. They had both tensed up when John had asked that last question. Even though they had discussed it previously with both Hunter and John, it still didn't make it any easier.

"Are you ready to continue?"

"Yes."

"What did your mother ask you to do to make money, Jimmy?"

Hunter cleared his throat and looked first at Ben and then at Michael. Michael nodded his head trying to let Hunter know that it would be all right.

"She ... she told me that I could make a lot of money by letting men suck me off."

John tensed when he heard Hunters reply. It never got any easier to hear what this childs mother made him do.

Jimmy, can you please explain to the judge exactly what that means?"

Hunter cleared his throat "It means that men would pay me to let them suck my dick. She told me that a friend of hers made a lot of money doing that and so she thought I should give it a try."

"And what did you tell her when she suggested that?"

"I told her no, I didn't want to do it." Hunter started to fidget. "She told me that it was no big deal. She said a lot of boys my age have to live on the streets and that if I didn't want to join them, I would do what I was told."

Michael felt a wave of anger course through him. He could just imagine Rita's face as she told Hunter that he had to sell himself. It was almost too much for him to take and he just wanted to bolt out the door. This was just too hard to listen to.

Ben sensed that Michael was angry. He took his hand and squeezed it and leaned over and whispered in his ear, "We have to stay ... for his sake. We can get though this." He felt Michael squeeze his hand back and knew that it worked. He wouldn't leave. He would stay for Hunter.

"Did you do as you were told?"

"Yes."

"And how did it make you feel having to let strange men do these things to you?"

"It was hard. I hated it and I hated her, and I still do." Hunter felt the tears spring to his eyes. He thought he was past crying about this. He took a sip of water to steady himself.

"Are you all right, Jimmy?" John asked.

"Yeah, "I'm fine."

"How long did your mother make you sell yourself for money?"

"Two years ... and then I couldn't take it anymore, so I ran away."

"And were there occasions when you lived in foster homes?"

"Yes. The police would pick me up and the court would make me go."

"Can you tell the judge about some of your experiences in those homes?"

"Well, the first home I was in, the older kid tried to have me suck him off. I ran away that night."

Ben put his head down to try to regain his composure. He was almost on the verge of tears. He didn't know that Hunter had that happen to him in his very first foster home? 'Christ, didn't they run checks on these homes before they sent kids to live there? he thought. He felt Michael rub his back, trying to get him to relax.

"And did you ever live in a shelter?"

"Yeah, I went to one shelter and a gang of guys jumped me in the bathroom. They took my coat and my sneakers. I never went back to a shelter again."

"That must have been really hard on you."

"Yeah, it was."

John paused a bit to let Hunter collect himself again. "Jimmy, can you tell the judge how you survived on the streets?"

"The only way I knew how. I sold myself." Hunter felt a coldness go through him. He tried to stay calm. He knew he had to tell the judge everything. He just hoped that this line of questioning was almost over.

"Jimmy. Can you tell the judge what happened the first time you met Mr. Bruckner?"

Hunter's eyes filled with tears as he looked at Ben and there was no way to stop them from falling.

The End

It was all Ben and Michael could do to remain seated. They just wanted to comfort Hunter, but they both knew that John would take care of him. And they were right.

"Jimmy, do you want to stop for a little while?"

"No, I'm ... I'm OK."

"Good. Now, can you answer my last question?"

"The first time I met Ben ... Mr ... Bruckner, he was yelling at me and the other guys to move away from the building. He was trying to sleep and we were making too much noise." Hunter smiled at the memory. "I thought he was an asshole."

John couldn't help but laugh at Jimmy's candor. "And how do you feel about him now?"

Without any hesitation whatsoever, Hunter said, "I love him."

Ben's eyes filled with tears.

Hunter continued. "Ben was always showing up wherever I was. He even gave me a coat once. I didn't really trust him but when he offered me a warm place to stay one really cold night, I didn't refuse. I just figured he would sneak into my room just like all the others and that if I fuc ...'" Hunter caught himself, " Umm, made him happy, I would be able to stay the night."

"And when you say 'make him happy' do you mean in a sexual way?

"Yes." Hunter stammered. "It seems so ridiclious now because Ben, is like my Dad, but at the time I didn't think that way."

And did Ben sneak into your room that night?"

"No! I was pretty surprised and really relieved too. I just wanted to sleep. I still didn't get it, I mean he didn't want anything from me?"

" Why did that surprise you?"

"Well, everybody wants something. You don't get something for nothing. So I just figured it was only a matter of time before he wanted something in return. But he didn't. And neither did Michael. They just wanted to help me. I guess I wasn't used to that?"

"Have either Mr. Bruckner, or Mr. Novotny, done anything to you that has made you unhappy or afraid to live with them?"

Hunter's eyes filled with tears again. "No, we're a family now ... A real family. They take good care of me. They helped me sign up for school. And when I found out I was HIV positive, Ben and Michael both came with me to the doctors. Ben explained all the meds to me cause he's HIV positive too. We also talk a lot about that .. ya know, how it feels to take so many meds and stuff like that. There're both big on wanting you to share your feelings." Hunter rolled his eyes but smiled.

Ben and Michael smiled at him.

"You're pretty happy living with them aren't you Jimmy?"

Hunter laughed. "The only thing that makes me unhappy is when Ben makes his tofu stir fry. They eat too much healthy shi... stuff."

Ben and Michael quietly chuckled. "When he comes home I think you should make him eat a huge plate of that tofu stir fry." Michael whispered to Ben.

Ben smiled and whispered back, "Oh I fully intend to!"

"Well, I think we're done Jimmy, unless you have anything you would like to say to Judge Labranche?" John really hoped that Jimmy would speak to the judge. It always helped a case when a child told a judge who they wanted to live with.

Hunter was ready to say no. He felt drained and just wanted to get off the stand. He took one look at John and knew that John wanted him to say something. So, he took a deep breath and turned to Judge Labranche hoping that the words would come.

"I had a pretty crap life growing up. You know about my parents and all that other stuff. I just want to say that I like living with Ben and Michael. It's the first time that I've ever felt like I ... I belong. They gave me my first birthday party and they really worry about me. They care, and I never had that before. I kinda like it. So please, let me go back home with Ben and Michael cause that's where I really want to be." Hunter looked down at his hands and fought back the urge to tell Judge Labranche that he would run away if he wasn't allowed to go back home with them. He knew that it wouldn't be a good idea to threaten a judge, so he kept silent.

"Thank you for letting me know how you feel Jimmy. I will review all the transcripts and give you my decision tomorrow morning. Be back here at 10:00 sharp."

~~~~~~~

Outside Judge Labranche's Chambers 9:45 AM

Ben and Michael were pacing back and forth waiting for John and Hunter to show up. "Where the hell is everyone?" Michael asked nervously.

"I don't know Michael, but I'm sure they will be here on time. Judge Labranche did say 10:00 sharp. We're kind of early." Ben started pacing again. "I think I'll go get more coffee. Want some?"

"Are you kidding? If I have any more coffee, I'll start spinning like a top. Do you think you should leave right now? I mean they could be here any minute and what if you're late getting back? Judge Labranche will think that you don't care and send Hunter back to the group home and we'll never get to... "Ben put his fingers on Michael lips to silence him.

"Baby, you're babbling. Don't worry, I can live without more coffee. I was just looking for something to do to kill time." Ben hugged Michael. "I guess we're both a little on edge huh?"

"You can say that again. Oh, look. Here they come now." Michael grabbed Ben's hand and pulled him down the hallway.

"Hey." Hunter hugged Michael and Ben.

"Hey, yourself." Ben said as he ruffled Hunter's hair.

"So before we proceed, I just wanted to let you all know that Rita was arrested and charged with child abuse last night. She made bail and will more than likey be in the courtroom. So, let's all keep our cool. OK?

Does this mean we get custody? Michael asked.

That's up to the Judge to decide, Michael. Rita hasn't been found guilty yet. But I can say that it won't hurt our case. OK, so is everyone ready to go into chambers?

"I would say so!" Ben replied nervously. "I think if we had to wait much longer, Michael would jump out of his skin."

"Hey, you're just as nervous as I am, who are you trying to kid?" Michael chuckled.

They walked into chambers and sat down.

"Gentlemen, I'd like to get started right away - if you don't mind?"

"Certainly, Judge," John replied.

"I have reviewed the case and I am placing care of the minor child, James Montgomery with Mr. Benjamin Bruckner, and Mr. Michael Charles Novotny. Is that acceptable to everyone present?"

Ben, Michael and Hunter jumped up from their chairs yelling and hugging each other.

The judge laughed. "I'll take that as a yes?"

The judge turned to Rita. "Mrs. Montgomery, after reviewing this case it is my suggestion that you get yourself a good lawyer. I expect you are going to need one."

Stomping past Hunter, Ben and Michael, Rita grumbled "I didn't want to take care of some HIV ridden faggot anyway! She pointed her finger at Hunter, you've cause me nothing but pain since the day you were born. I'm happy to be rid of you!

That will be all Mrs. Montgomery! The Judge yelled. Counsel, I think you better get your client out of my chambers immediately!

Rita's attorney put his arm around her shoulder and non too gently, escorted her out of chambers.

Ben, Michael, and Hunter just looked at each other and then they all smiled at the same time and hugged again.

~~~~~~~

"Oh, Honey, I'm so happy for you, Now come give your grandma Debbie a great big hug!" Debbie grabbed Hunter and almost squeezed the breath out of him.

"OW! Not so tight! I can't breathe!" Despite his complaining, Hunter was laughing.

Everyone else also started to laugh.

"Hunter, if you need to file assault charges, you know where to find me." Melanie quipped.

"Oh stop it! I'm just hugging my baby for Christ's sake. I'm not killing him!"

"Ma, take it easy with him will ya?" We just got him back and I'd like to keep him around for a while." Michael said while smiling.

Debbie walked over to John "You did a good job, Thank you."

"Well, I'm glad you're happy, Mrs. Novotny." John said as Debbie hugged him too.

"Oh, I had no doubt the judge would see that Hunter belongs with my sons! Look how happy they are."

John looked over and saw the three of them laughing and hugging each other. They were surrounded by family and friends and John knew that Jimmy was going to be OK. He was in the best possible place that he could be. He was home.

Contact the author at abisel42@aol.com

More by Abisel

back to fiction index page