TITLE: Going Up The Country - Part 2

Skinner turned slowly to gaze at him again. He suppressed the amused look that threatened to break out to replace the glum one that had settled onto his face. Then he just gave up and cracked a grin. Damn. He liked this kid more and more every day. He was going to make himself scarce because he figured Skinner wanted some time alone with Scully. Yeah...and he was right too. He guessed the kid was really going to get his Hendrix solo. And he was already getting the use of Skinner's car. He still meant to offer him it. If Kevin played his cards right he could make out pretty well here he thought sardonically. But Skinner knew Kevin wasn't thinking that way. He was just a generous, perceptive kid. Rare nowadays and Skinner figured that needed to be rewarded in some small way.

"Thanks, Kevin," he replied sincerely. "I'll give you a hand."

"I will too," Scully added.

"Oh no, Agent Scully...you helped cook...which was more than a guest should do...or so I've heard my mom say more than once. Sit down. We'll take care of it," Kevin answered grandly.

Scully gave Skinner an amused look as Kevin carried his plate over to the dishwasher. Skinner shrugged and smiled, picking up their glasses and following the kid.

Later, after everything was cleared away, they'd locked up and Kevin had bid them good night, Skinner and Scully sat at the kitchen table, a beer in front of each of them listening to the thunder crash and watching the lightning flash.

"I love storms," Scully whispered, taking a sip of her beer.

"I seem to remember that, yes," Skinner answered quietly, watching her patrician profile. The lightning illuminated her fine bone structure and the muscles of her throat as she swallowed the beer. Skinner had an almost overwhelming urge to reach out and run his thumb over her jawline. Draw her face to his and kiss her again. He blinked back the feeling but before he could hold it in he spoke.

"Where did we go wrong, Scully? Where...where did I go wrong?" he whispered, taking his eyes off her and looking down at his beer. He rolled the bottle between his large hands, trying to keep them from shaking as much as his guts were shuddering.

He sensed rather than saw her head turn to look at him. Her voice when she answered was very soft and gentle.

"I think you had it right the first time. I don't think either of us were to blame, Walter. I've...over all these months I've thought about that point. What went wrong..." she began, looking down and toying with her beer as well.

"And what conclusion did you reach in this investigation, Agent Scully?" Skinner asked gruffly, his throat somewhat clogged with emotion. He looked back up at her.

She captured his eyes for a moment and her lips were in a tight line.

"Honest to God...and please don't take this the wrong way...but I think we both acted like fools...that and circumstances...I...it was really, really piss poor timing," she whispered, looking down at her hands.

Skinner watched the top of her head and wondered what exactly was going on inside. Her words weren't precisely the answer he expected to hear. He...shit...he didn't know what he'd expected to hear. He realized in a near panic that he didn't know very much about this woman at all to be honest. He'd spent one weekend with her under very intimate circumstances in which most of their conversation had consisted of moans, grunts and the words, 'yes', 'there', 'harder' and 'fuck' or 'suck me'. A few stolen conversational moments after that...and before, during and after their very brief affair...moments when she'd sit in front of him with Mulder in his office and they'd exchange looks they hoped were staying professional while his cock twitched in his pants. Christ. The years he had pined for her notwithstanding, he felt like a fool when he considered their lack of true understanding.

He cleared his throat and tried to salvage some of his dignity...her dignity from the idea that they had so little in common it was pathetically sad. But instead of the remark he was going to make...words escaped his lips before he could stop them and in hindsight after the shock of uttering them he thought dimly...maybe that's what I really wanted to say. Maybe...maybe this is important too. Even though his response was very likely to get him another slap in the face...real or verbal.

"Scully...did Mulder suggest you come down here?" he asked quietly.

"What?" she asked looking up from being lost in her own thoughts for a moment.

"Did Mulder suggest you come to see me rather than call?" he repeated cautiously.

Her face went very still and she let out a sigh.

"Mulder isn't on this tour with me, Walter. We broke up a month ago," she replied matter-of-factly.

Skinner stared at her, his brown eyes blinking behind the lenses of his spectacles. His jaw tensed and he felt his face flushing red as anger rose up in him again. He let go of his beer.

"I know a rebound when I see it," he husked out, preparing to rise.

In an instant Scully had grabbed his wrist and he was surprised how strong her grip was when she held him in place. He glanced down at her hand and then back up into her eyes, the seconds ticked and neither of them spoke or moved for several of them.

"Sit down," she hissed finally. "I knew you'd say that, damn it. That...that isn't what this is about at all. Listen to me you...you tight-assed son of a bitch and I'll tell you exactly what this is about...all right? Don't you think you owe me that much?" she added, her voice low and intense.

Skinner jerked his wrist away from her and slowly lowered his butt back down into the chair. His nostrils flared with suppressed wrath.

"Fine...tell me," he spit out. Then he folded his arms over his chest and prepared to listen.

Scully let out a shuddering breath and composed herself to explain.

"Mulder and I always had a tempestuous relationship, Walter. We...we supported each other to the death, were fast friends, good in bed but...oh hell...I don't think we were ever really compatible to be honest. We're just too different in so many fundamental ways. Neither one of us noticed this really as long as we were on the quest...fighting the fight against the Consortium...trying to find his sister...the whole war that went on. But when that was done...well..."

"You couldn't live with each other?" Skinner asked quietly.

"I think we were in danger of killing each other to be honest," she replied with a rueful chuckle. "It became glaringly obvious that the only thing that was working between us was the sex. But...after a while that wasn't really enough anymore. I...I couldn't hack it and I don't think he could either to be honest. So...we called it quits. I think...I think we may still be friends but we both needed some time apart. This book tour accomplished that for me," she continued.

"And Mulder...where is he?" Skinner asked gently, watching her face as the emotions churned over it.

"In England...at Oxford. They asked him to teach a course on his work and the paranormal in the upcoming term...he's going to be spending some time over there," she replied, shrugging her shoulders. "He has no idea I'm here," she added looking back up at him.

"And so?" Skinner asked raising his eyebrows. Her brow furrowed. "So...why isn't this a rebound then?" he prompted.

"You have such an ego," she bristled.

He sat back and barked a laugh.

"Lady...it's all I have left...my balls. Do me a favor and don't break them," he replied sarcastically.

"What do you want me to say?" she replied angrily. Skinner could see her eyes flash in the candlelight again.

"I don't want you to say anything. I want you to listen," he replied intensely.

Scully stared at him, startled and then reined in her anger hard. She nodded her head in agreement.

Ok he thought. This is it...now or never. If she and Mulder were over he was going to jump in with both feet here and hope for the best.

"Good," he nodded, gathering his thoughts together. "First of all...I'm sorry about you and Mulder. I know...I know you were close and no matter what the reason for the break-up, I'm sorry. Scully...I always wanted you to be happy. Your peace and happiness were very important to me. I know as well that when we were together I came across as...I came across as though the sex was the main reason I wanted you with me," he began.

"Well...I..." she started to interrupt.

"Please...let me get through this," he hissed. "If you don't...I'm going to fucking lose my nerve and I'll never get it all out," he added, his voice as close to pleading as he'd ever made it in her presence.

She stopped talking and her eyes grew a little larger as he bulled his way on.

"That...that was the farthest thing from the truth...Dana. Oh yeah....I wanted you. I still want you. But...and please believe me...this is God's truth...I love you from the bottom of my heart. I always have loved you and I always will. I know...I know I did things that made you distrust me. I can never tell you how sorry I am that I did those things either. But most of all I'm terribly sorry for never revealing my true feelings to you. I don't know why I never told you I loved you. I've agonized over my omission since the day you walked out of my life. I'm...Christ...I'm so ashamed that I never tried harder to make this work. I hurt you...I hurt us both..." he droned on, hardly knowing how he was getting out the words, hardly knowing what he was saying but knowing it came from the heart, from his guts and he could feel the tears just there...almost right there in his eyes as he rushed through the words.

He stopped to take a breath and Scully's hand on his stopped his flow of words like someone had shut off a switch in his head. She squeezed his fingers.

"You stupid bastard," she mumbled, the tears welling up in her eyes. "Why do you think I came down here? I came down here to tell you what an idiot I'd been...how sorry I was that I didn't realize that it was you I loved all this time...that you were the other reason Mulder and I were never going to work out anyway. Oh you better believe the sex was important too though. I went into that with my eyes wide open. I wanted your cock as much as you wanted it in me...so you don't have the corner on the lust department, Mr. Skinner," she spoke the last defiantly.

"Shit," Skinner coughed, running his hand over his bearded chin, more embarrassed than he thought he could be to hear her talk that way.

"That's right. Men aren't the only ones who have hopping hormones. But I love you right along with that healthy dose of lust. When Nancy called...that was the last ingredient, the catalyst I guess to bring me down here to find you...to tell you...to ask you if we can give it a second chance," she whispered, pinning his eyes. "I was so worried you...well I didn't know what to think..." she finished letting her voice trail off.

He reached over and placed his other hand over hers, cupping it in both his hands.

"Scully, I've never been good at communicating. I can promise to do better but...I still think I'm going to need a learning curve here. I can't tell you I can change tomorrow. But I can try to change," he rumbled, swallowing back the tears.

"Well ditto there," she sniffed, looking up at him. "I couldn't even begin to think about what I was going to say to you when I saw you lying in that pile of cow manure today. God. I came all the way down here and I didn't have a clue how to broach this subject at all. Poor logistical planning. If I was still under your jurisdiction you would have had me on the carpet for it," she shook her head in self-deprecation.

"Yes, and you could have had me up on charges for that kiss earlier...so I guess we broke a few rules here today," he replied stroking her hands.

She swallowed and stared into his eyes.

"I can try too, Walter. I will try," she replied quietly.

"I want to kiss you again," he whispered.

"God...I was really hoping you would," she sighed.

Skinner surged to his feet, almost knocking over their chairs as he pulled Scully up and into his arms. Their lips met and it was fire all over between them again. Just like earlier. Just like New York. He knew this was how he related to her best sometimes...physically. He had always thought it was something lacking in him...some kind of brute, primal need that was getting in the way of his really communicating with her.

But now as he felt her mouth devouring his in an almost frantic need, felt the mound of her pubis grinding into his cock, he knew she mirrored that desire he had for her. Maybe this was just their bodies trying to tell them what their minds needed to know and hadn't quite caught up on. Talk about a learning curve he thought in a daze as he ran his mouth down her neck.

"Oh God," she mumbled. "This is what I want," she added, breathless as he lapped at her heated skin.

"I want you...now," he murmured, kneading her breasts.

"Where?" she hissed out, gripping his ass and rubbing against him.

"Guest bedroom, come on," he told her, taking her hand. Skinner took just enough time to blow the candle on the table out before they quickly left the kitchen.

Halfway down the dark hallway it occurred to Skinner's testosterone soaked brain that there was something they would need...and maybe should use. Light was one. A condom was the other. Thoughts of a flashlight or candle spiraled away as Scully bumped into his swelling cock. Shit...he didn't have any protection.

He stopped dead in the hallway and Scully rocked into him. He remembered in DC the same awkward moment in her hotel suite when he'd offered to go to the store in the lobby and buy some rubbers. He'd been offering out of responsibility but also out of force of habit...in the old days...before his relationship with Scully... he'd always used one and he'd never stopped to consider that Scully's infertility made one reason to use a rubber a moot point. Once they got past that unfortunate matter they'd determined they were both clean and ditched the condom idea. He knew his status was still clean. He hadn't been with anyone...as he'd realized earlier, for what seemed like forever...and he'd been tested for HIV and STDs anyway during his last physical. He assumed Scully had only been with Mulder. He took Scully by the arms and moved close to whisper in her ear.

"I don't have any protection," he hissed out. She pushed him forward a little and looked in his eyes and he felt compelled to qualify his statement. "I haven't been with anyone else in a long time. I was tested since then. I'm clean," he husked out.

She pulled him close to her and he stumbled into her as they kissed convulsively again. When they parted, breathless, she whispered in his ear.

"I was with Mulder. I wasn't with anyone else either, and neither was he."

"I wanted you," he rumbled back, kissing at the corner of her mouth.

"I...I can't believe I thought I didn't want this," she moaned as he ground against her.

After another few moments of groping each other he took her hand and dragged Scully down to the guest room.

Just as they reached the bedroom door Skinner looked at the door next to it and then at Scully and they both whispered at once, 'Kevin'. Skinner thought...oh brother...the kid's right next door and then...they saw the note taped to the guest bedroom door with Scotch tape. They both ogled it, their mouths open, their breath coming in huffs.

"What the hell?" Skinner snorted, pulling it off. He held the note close to his eyes and a flash of lightning illuminated it.

"Kevin?" Scully asked, suppressing a chuckle. "Who else would it be?" she added with a rueful grin.

Skinner scanned the note and barked a laugh.

"Yeah. It says he's upstairs watching the storm through the skylight in his Aunt Nancy and Uncle Harlan's master bedroom. He just wanted to let us know in case we became concerned if we didn't hear him in his room. Oh and PS - he checked the generator. It's fine and has plenty of gas, he says."

"He's..." Scully sputtered at a loss for words.

"He's pretty fucking smart," Skinner chuckled, pulling Scully to him, the note dangling against her arm as he opened the door with his other hand. He took her into the bedroom and as they entered, the note fell from his hand onto the floor.

He tore off his glasses and watch and shoved both onto the top of the chest of drawers near the door. He almost dropped his watch in his haste. Scully took off her watch while he was pulling his off and added it to the dresser top. The lights were off of course and they fumbled a bit in the dark to grab at each other again. Skinner giving up any idea of bothering with a candle or flashlight. The lightning was flashing so frequently they could see each other well enough. Fuck it anyway...they were both too hot and doing this by touch alone was almost more of a turn-on. Oh yeah, he thought 'hot enough they could make their own damn incandescent glow'.

Skinner's large hands moved over Scully, unbuttoning, unsnapping...just pulling off her clothing when he couldn't stop his hands from shaking in his eagerness. She helped him quickly strip her naked and then worked on his clothing, actually tearing his T-shirt as they ripped it off over his head. They stumbled about the room, working their way towards the bed.

Then they were naked together and his mouth and hands were all over her as they stood beside the bedside. He couldn't find enough of Scully to touch. It had been so long...so long and her finely toned muscles felt so good in his hands...her soft, sweet skin so fine under his touch. Christ she smelled good, tasted good...so good...so wonderful all over.

"Sweet Jesus, I've wanted this so much," he murmured as he bent his head to her right breast and sucked in a nipple, gasping into her flesh.

"Oh...oh," she gasped in return, grabbing his bald head and pressing his face to her. "Oh God...whatever I said about that beard before..." she panted as he laved her breast.

"Forget it?" he mumbled, sucking at her.

"Exactly," she replied, rocking into him.

He smiled around her nipple and then went back to work. She arched her neck and rocked against him as he swung his head back and forth sucking and licking each breast in turn.

Scully whined and then moaned and so did he, making low humming sounds as he let himself take his fill of her engorged nipples.

When he stood straight again to claim her mouth, he felt Scully's hands snake down all around him, stroking, squeezing his skin and his hard muscles. He still couldn't get over how strong she was and it felt marvelous to have her kneading his ass so firmly and with purpose. He started to groan around the kiss and had to break it off. He began to murmur to her, telling her how great it felt, how great she was with her hands. She skimmed over his well developed pectorals and then it was his turn to arch his neck as she followed her hands with her mouth, sucking on his nipples and bringing them up to hard nubs. She caressed his flat abdomen and then his groin and finally her hands played over his cock. He took her head in his hands, kissing at her mouth, her eyes, her forehead as she took his hard-on in hand.

"Oh yeah...that's it," he groaned as their eyes met and she started to stroke his partially erect cock up and down with firm strokes.

"I missed this, lover," she purred seductively, as she deftly worked his throbbing flesh.

"Oh lady, that's so good," he mumbled rocking his hips. He looked down into her face, his mouth open and panting and she smiled into his eyes.

"I can tell," she laughed throatily as she jerked him hard. "I love the way you get hard for me," she added, her voice sultry as she thumbed the head of his cock.

"Uh...God you're talented, woman," he grated out, through teeth clenched in pleasure.

Finally he stopped her hand and shook his head signaling they'd better stop or he'd go over, then he gently pushed her back. Scully fell onto the edge of the bed. Her legs hung over the side and didn't quite reach the floor. Skinner pushed his hand between her thighs and found her exquisitely warm and very wet. He stroked her quickly, rubbing over her clit and mons pubis with his whole hand in a rhythmic stroking. He stuck a finger from his other hand inside and curled it upward, feathering her G-spot.

"Ohhhh," she moaned, bucking her hips into his hands.

"You're so wet for me, lover," he hissed, watching her writhe on the bed below him.

"I want you...give it to me," she replied, wrapping her legs around his thighs and pulling him forward.

"Oh yeah," he nodded removing his hands from between her thighs.

He surged forward over her, catching his weight on one hand and Scully threw her legs up around his waist, locking her ankles in the small of his back. He took his cock in his other hand, parted her folds with the head and placed the head at her vulva.

"Easy now," he told himself as much as her. As hot as he was he knew he was large. He didn't want to just ram in and hurt her. He looked into her eyes and gave her a lazy, sexy grin. "Tight fit," he teased her, panting.

She laughed and stroked his hand where it was planted next to her.

"Get in and you'll see how good that feels," she replied, shifting up so the angle would be better for them both.

"Take it then," he growled, pushing forward and entering her with a firm thrust.

"Oh...that's right...all of it," she moaned as he shoved his hips steadily forward. In a moment he was completely inside her and they stilled together. He draped himself over her, his weight on both his hands then, and lowered his lips to hers.

"I love you," he breathed against her parted lips.

"I love you too," she replied, pushing up.

They kissed gently then, and he nuzzled under her ear a little and rubbed his cheek over her chest. Her cross dragged through his beard. He turned and kissed her flesh next to it, with reverence. Then he straightened up, took her hips and started to move against her.

"Yeah, uh...yeah," he grunted and then he was silent, stroking to find his rhythm as she pumped her hips, seeking to get in synch with him.

"S'ok?" he asked after a few thrusts, angling a little so he'd keep the base of his cock in contact with the skin closest to her clit.

"Mmmm...yes," she gasped, rocking and finally reaching a perfect counterpoint to the piston action of his trim hips.

They moved fluidly, and after some easy, smooth thrusting, Skinner started to vary his strokes a bit, quick stabs alternating with slower, deeper ones. A couple of times he withdrew and ran the wet, swollen head of his cock over her clit, masturbating her with it until she was squirming and moaning in pleasure.

Then he plunged back into her and both of them started to fuck each other hard, slamming together, striving to send each other over into orgasm. Skinner was breathing in short sharp pants by that point, his mouth completely open, his harsh breathing loud even over the crashing thunder.

"Oh God," Scully moaned, rocking frantically as Skinner thrust even faster. "So close."

"How...better?" he asked her desperately, pulling her hips up and grinding the base of his cock over her clit. Finally he remembered something that used to help her come, and reached forward, pressing the flat of his hand down between her navel and where his cock was thrusting in and out of her. He watched that motion for a moment, the sliding of his hard, hot erection in and out of her body and then he pushed up a little with his hips and felt his cock brushing the top of her vagina through the skin.

"There, there...ohGAAAA!" she cried out, and he hung onto her and thrust in deep as she started to come, squeezing his cock hard with her inner muscles.

"Yesssss," he hissed. "So beautiful."

She twitched under him, thrashing a little, her hips bucking and he couldn't take it any longer, he grabbed her hips and thrust furiously.

"Uh, uh, uh," he grunted and then he felt a terrific spasm of ecstasy tear up out of his balls. He threw his head back and roared incoherently as the thunder crashed again, and he bucked his hips hard, the lightning creating a strobing effect and their convulsing bodies seemed to dance and twitch in the flaring brightness. He rammed into Scully spastically several more times as he shot, emptying himself into his lover.

"Walter," he heard Scully murmur, her voice full of love.

"DDana," he stuttered, gasping as his hips started to slow and then stopped. He fell forward over her, just managing to catch himself on his hands. "Jesus," he murmured.

"Hold me," Scully whispered into his wet ear. She stroked the sweat from his bearded cheek and he nodded, grabbing at the base of his cock. He levered up and rolled them onto their side. They lay there awkwardly for a moment as he stroked her thigh and tried to stay in her.

"Uncomfortable," she stated breathlessly. It was an observation not a question.

"Yeah. Lemme pull out and lie down," he coughed, shifting.

He moved away, sliding out of her. Scully swung her legs up onto the full size bed and Skinner rolled in beside her. He realized with a wry inner chuckle that it was lucky she was so petite, otherwise there wouldn't be room for both of them on the mattress.

He pulled her to him and she placed her head on his chest and rested her hand on his stomach. He caressed her arm and they lay silently together as their breath returned to normal.

"You ok?" he asked finally, craning his neck to look at the top of her head. She kissed his chest.

"Hmm hmm," he murmured. "You've improved with age," she added, her voice filled with sultry humor.

He chuckled and kissed the top of her head.

"Thank you. You were incredible," he replied.

Then he grew serious.

"We were good this way, Scully. It was the rest of the relationship that was a problem," he replied.

"Agreed," she nodded against his damp chest hair. "But we've promised to make improvements there...so I'm holding us to it."

"Oh yeah...I'm not backing out by any means. Don't worry about that," he rumbled, caressing her shoulder.

She was silent for a moment and then she spoke again, her voice hesitant but musing.

"You know though, Walter, one thing you always did was hold me afterwards. That should have been a clue. Amazing how a trained FBI agent could overlook something like that," she replied thoughtfully.

He shrugged a little.

"I didn't do much better. And they were paying me the big bucks," he joked to lighten the mood.

She chuckled and lightly cupped his balls.

"Big bucks," she teased.

He laughed.

"Christ," he snorted.

"When I talk dirty it really embarrasses you doesn't it?" she laughed, rising up on her elbows, planting them on his chest to stare into his heavy lidded eyes. He gave her a slow, satiated grin and ran his hand gently through her short, disheveled hair.

"Not embarrassment precisely...it's more like...amazement or surprise, I think. The surprise left over from years of seeing you in those prim and proper suits. The businesslike, professional Agent Dana Scully..." he let his voice trail off in a slight yawn.

"Until I got you in bed and you found out I wanted it as much as you did," she finished for him.

"You got 'me' in bed?" he asked, feigning incredulity.

She slapped him lightly on the chest.

"Oh come on...if I hadn't invited you back to my room," she teased, kissing him then where she'd slapped him.

"Point to Scully," he replied, cupping her face. "Yeah...I like it when you talk dirty. It makes me hard every time," he conceded, wrapping a hand around the back of her skull. He pulled her head to his and placed his mouth over hers, sucking at her lower lip. "I like it when you're wild, when you move like you do for me too," he mumbled.

"Say it," she encouraged him her voice muffled, looking deeply into his eyes. He released her mouth.

"You're one hot bitch," he told her.

"Mmmm...bastard," she smirked as she pressed her mouth to his.

Their mouths played over each other for a few seconds and it was as if that was the last bit of energy they had left. They flopped back in a heap and Scully rolled onto her side, Skinner spooning up behind her. They lay still on top of the comforter, the generator cooled AC playing over their skin.

"How long can you stay?" Skinner whispered as his eyes grew heavy.

"I told my agent to cancel Atlanta and New Orleans. I'll pick the tour up in Chicago. I have until next Wednesday to get to the airport in Philadelphia."

"Stay," he mumbled, pulling her close, and kissing the back of her neck.

"I will," she replied.

He nodded and in moments he was fast asleep.

xXx

Tuesday, June 19, 2001. A farm outside Lyons, Pennsylvania.

Sometime in the early morning hours Skinner felt Scully extricate herself from his arms, pull on her T-shirt and jeans and leave the room. The toilet flushed after a few moments and she came back. He got up and snagged his briefs as she opened the bedroom door.

"Good idea," he told her sleepily. She nodded, groggy and he walked past her to use the bathroom himself.

Skinner noticed the clock radio flashing and thought, good, the power's back on at least. His sleep fuzzed brain knew it was still night. He had to strain to see in the dark. He decided not to bother checking his watch for the time. He left the bedroom and went across the hall to use the can. When he came back, Scully was naked again and asleep, so he stripped off his briefs, climbed in next to her and snuggled into her back.

Much later a rooster crowing woke them both.

"What is that?" Scully asked sleepily rolling over and bumping into Skinner's warm, hard, muscular bulk.

"We're in the country, remember? That's Foghorn. The twins named him after the cartoon rooster," Skinner whispered, caressing her face. He shifted forward slightly and captured her lips, kissing her gently. Her lips played over his and she caressed his bearded jaw. When she pulled back he smiled at her.

"Good morning," she said quietly, her eyes crinkling a little in pleasure.

"Good morning and...thank you for last night," he rumbled, nuzzling her neck. She trailed a hand down stroking his groin. He tilted up slightly and her hand found his half hard cock.

"Hmm, what have we here?" she chuckled throatily.

"We have a middle-aged man who is pretty fucking impressed with his recovery time," Skinner chuckled low in his throat, as her hand circled his shaft.

"Well...this is pretty impressive all the way around," she whispered, taking up the familiar steady pumping that he knew would get him hard quickly. He moved a hand down between them and began to stroke her too, making her inner juices begin to flow with each caress of his powerful fingers. They rocked together, quietly savoring the mutual masturbation. The only sounds in the room were their harsh breathing and the AC kicking in.

Before long he was hard and straining for her and she was arching up, seeking more contact. They kissed each other hard. His cock tipped up between them.

When he broke the kiss she licked at his lips, sucking and biting on his lower lip and then threw a leg over his hip. He grabbed his cock, hunted around between her folds and found the target wet and ready for him. With one slow thrust he sheathed himself in her and they started to immediately find a rhythm with their hips.

"Oh yeah...that's it, that's so good," Skinner grated out, his teeth clenched as they thrust back and forth.

"I love having you in me," she moaned softly.

Scully buried her head in his neck, biting off her moans, one hand splayed out over his chest and the other held onto his side. Skinner struggled to keep each grunt that was torn from his throat at as low a volume as possible. In a very short time they were pounding together and Skinner held Scully close, one hand clasping her ass and the other cradling her head on his shoulder. As he rocked his hips against her and his cock drew partly out and then sunk back into her exquisite tightness, he realized she might need help coming and gasped into her ear.

"Help you?" he asked, trying to move his hand from her ass.

"No...don't...stop," she hissed, grabbing his arm and staying his hand so that he kept a firm grip on her butt, helping her to keep her rhythm as she worked to pleasure them both.

He tried to keep his pubic bone in contact with her clit but the angle wasn't quite right and it was all too much finally anyway. The incredible sensations of making love with Scully again, her heady feminine musk of arousal, the warmth and tightness of her body, the feeling of her gasping against his neck...all of it caused him to go on autopilot and piston into her like hell.

Suddenly, Skinner came, slamming forward, all his muscles in spasm and his head and neck arched back. Scully held his shoulder as his neck muscles grew taut, his face grimacing in a silent scream of ecstasy. His hips thrust rapidly several more times and Scully reached between them and stroking herself, came as well. She jerked spastically against Skinner for several seconds, a hoarse cry issuing from her before she could even think about stopping it. Finally their movements slowed and then stilled and they collapsed side by side again. Scully's leg slipped down his hip.

Skinner shifted to help Scully be more comfortable and it caused him to slide out of her. Scully's leg rested on his calf by that point. His chest heaved up and down and Scully gasped next to him.

"Remind me to take my vitamins at breakfast," he quipped, huffing.

She laughed quietly and nodded her head.

"I'll second that," she replied, still a bit breathless. She pulled her leg away from him. He inclined his head and looked at the damp spot beneath them.

"We'll have to police this place," he rumbled, lying more fully on his side to face her. "I'll change the bedding and make sure we launder this lot," he added. As he was about to gather her close again, a phone rang.

"Oh shit...I bet that's Nancy," Skinner hissed, stilling his motion forward towards Scully. Instead he rolled partly over and glanced at the clock. Of course it was still flashing.

"Your watch is on the dresser, Scully reminded him.

"Oh yeah...specs too," he replied with a shake of his head. "Sorry," he shrugged, sliding to get out of the bed.

"It's all right," she replied matter-of-factly.

They heard someone pick up the phone as Skinner, his cock and balls swinging, crossed the room to the dresser.

"Kevin," Skinner stated, glancing back at Scully.

She nodded as he reached his glasses and put them on. He picked up his watch. Six o'clock. Oh man...Nancy must be anxious to get back here. They needed to get up anyway. Skinner was sure there would be storm damage to assess and they needed to release the herd and get feed and fresh water to all the animals. He glanced at the window...the curtains were open and sun was streaming in so the storm must have blown through and brought another sunny day after it. Then he heard Scully chuckle.

"You'd better shut that shade unless you want Kevin to see you if he goes outside for some reason," she suggested, eyeing up his cock with a mixture of mirth and lust she wasn't even bothering to conceal.

Skinner reached down and cupped himself gently...not too hard because he was a trifle sensitive after he came...but just enough to make a teasing boast in front of Scully. She rolled her eyes a little and he chuckled, lowering his hand. He sauntered to the window and pulled the shade down. There was a knock at the bedroom door.

He glanced at it and then at Scully. Scully quickly scooted up and kicked the covers down, covering herself in a flash. Skinner advanced to the door just as Kevin Creed's voice came through from the other side.

"Uh...Walter?" he called hesitantly.

"Yeah, hang on a second, Kevin. I'll be right there," he answered, coughing a little. Scully inclined her head towards his crotch and he gave her a mock peeved expression as he grabbed his briefs off the floor. He yanked them on and then quickly opened the door, stepped outside, and shut it behind him.

Kevin was standing back slightly, dressed in only his jeans and Skinner had blocked the teen's view inside the room as he slipped out.

"That was Nancy," Kevin stated, looking down the hallway towards the other part of the house. "The twins were still getting ready but she's going to get them moving, have breakfast and then they'll head on home," he added, looking back at Skinner. His ears were turning a little red.

Skinner cleared his throat again.

"Good. Uh...I...uh..." he began. He couldn't believe he was stammering in front of the kid. Christ. It was like he was the 16 year old here instead of Kevin. Finally he shut his eyes for a second and resumed, being as frank as he figured he should be under the circumstances.

"We overslept," he said simply, opening his eyes and looking at Kevin again.

The side of Kevin's mouth curved up in an embarrassed half smile.

"Yeah...I figured that was the case," he replied.

"We got your note, incidentally. Thank you. That was very considerate," Skinner went on to say.

Kevin shrugged.

"I figured maybe...you...well you know," he replied, gesturing toward the bedroom door.

"Yeah, well we did...'you know'," Skinner replied ruefully, running a hand over his bald head. Then he sighed. "Look, Kevin...you're 16. I don't expect you to not know that Dana and I slept together last night. And I'm not going to stand here and give you the big speech about how we're consenting adults so it's ok even though we're not married to..." he began, discomforted all over again to be stressing to this young man that even though he and Scully were fucking like rabbits last night and this morning it was better if a kid his age waited until he was more mature to experience the same act.

"Walter," Kevin interrupted and Skinner fell silent. "I don't think you mean 'do what I say and not what I do' here if that's what you're worried about. I get your drift. And also hey...I know I'm nowhere near ready to do the deed with any girl...so you don't have to worry about that either," he replied quietly, looking down, his face freckling with red blotches of chagrin.

Skinner felt a warm feeling in his gut for the boy. For a moment he imagined what it would have been like if he and Sharon had been able to have children and if this was his son. He couldn't imagine having a finer one he thought. He smiled and extended his hand towards Kevin.

"I just didn't want to sound like I was lecturing you, Kevin, that was my point. And I can see...it's definitely not called for anyway," he replied gruffly. Kevin looked up, grinned at him and placed his hand in his.

"I'm glad it worked out for you guys," he mumbled shaking Skinner's hand. Skinner shook firmly. When their hands fell apart, Skinner squared his shoulders and became more businesslike.

"I still apologize for oversleeping...no matter what the cause I should have been more responsible and set my wristwatch alarm. We'd better get moving here. If I give you Scully's car keys would you do her a favor and get her bag and laptop?" Skinner finally asked. He thought he'd felt her keys in her jeans pocket when they'd embraced last night.

"Oh, sure," Kevin answered nodding his head vigorously. "Should I just leave them outside the uh...bedroom door when I bring it back in?" he asked, looking at Skinner hopefully. Skinner suppressed a smile. He could tell from the kid's tone of voice and expression that he wasn't quite ready to face Dana Scully this morning. Christ...he and Scully were probably going to be responsible for fueling this kid's jerk-off fantasies for weeks. He made a mental note to try to restrain himself around the house for Kevin's sake as well as Nancy and the twins. Maybe he should encourage Scully to check into the motel in town after all. He'd have to talk it over with her.

"Thanks. That should work fine. Ok, I'll be right back," Skinner replied with a curt nod. Then while Kevin leaned up against the opposite wall in the hallway, Skinner reentered the bedroom to rejoin Scully.

"And?" she whispered.

"Did you hear any of the conversation?" he whispered back.

"Some of it. I heard him say Nancy is on her way back."

"Yes, after they eat breakfast, she and the twins are coming on. Kevin and I need to check for storm damage. I want him to get your bag first though. Your keys are in your jeans, right?" he replied quietly.

"Why are we whispering?" Scully chuckled, sitting up in bed.

Walter rumbled a chuckle and walked closer to the bed, shaking his head.

"Because we've already fueled that poor kid's jerk-off fantasies for a week?" he asked rhetorically, with a wry look, as he retrieved her jeans.

She shook her head and put her face in her hands.

"God...I hope he didn't hear us," she groaned softly, realizing now that they'd probably acted just a bit rashly last night...to put it mildly.

"Well if he did...he's doing a very good job of handling it maturely. I can't imagine it'll stay a big deal for long," Skinner replied, his tone implying he wasn't going to worry about the matter any longer. He fished her keys out of the jeans pocket and tossed the pants onto the bed.

"You're probably right. But I'll give him some space anyway...if for no other reason so 'I' won't start blushing in his presence," Scully whispered.

"You blush most fetchingly," Skinner purred, leaning forward and capturing her mouth for a tantalizing kiss. She smiled into his lips but pushed him away with a small noise of exasperation. He grinned as he stood back up and she raised an eyebrow.

"Flattery will get you nowhere right now, Skinner. We don't have time," she advised him, grinning to show the reproach was really more in jest than seriousness.

"Point taken," he smiled, nodding.

 

"Do you want me to help you assess damage or make breakfast?" she queried, as he crossed the room towards the door, keys in hand. He turned briefly to answer her.

"We could use the help outside actually. We can run a triage I think. If we got off lucky we'll have a quick breakfast and then tackle things together, if that works for you. Oh...and I'm cooking," he replied.

"Sounds fine. Do I have time for a fast shower?"

"Oh...I think we both do," he grinned at her, implying with his voice and eyes that they'd save time if they showered together.

"Oh you are tempting fate," she whispered, arching an eyebrow.

"Hey...it'll save time. I promise to be a good boy and keep my hands to myself," he replied. "Deal?" he added, raising his eyebrows.

"Deal," she affirmed.

He nodded briskly, turned around, and exited the room again.

xXx

The chainsaw revved noisily back by the house as Skinner threw a bale of hay over the fence and into the last feeder for the cattle. Kevin, wearing goggles and gloves was sawing up the downed limb from the old growth maple that sat in the farmhouse backyard. The day was clear, sunny and calm and nowhere near as hot as the last few days. The storm, despite its violence had been a good thing, at least on the Creed property.

The tree was really the only damage to the farm that they had discovered during their triage. The lack of damage gave them time to eat a quick breakfast and start some laundry before they came out and got to work. The limb was large and once heavy with rain must have cracked under the weight. Luckily it had fallen well clear of the house and now all that remained to be done was cut it into manageable pieces. Kevin would stack it by the house and sometime later he or Skinner could put it through the chipper and then add the chips to the manure pile.

Scully stood below Skinner on the ground, dusting her gloved hands off. She looked up at him under the John Deere cap he'd loaned her to keep the sun off her face. She'd hauled some of the bales out herself and Skinner chuckled to see some strands of alfalfa in her hair. As the Angus cattle came in to feed, finally ceasing their excited, hungry bellowing, Skinner adjusted his own John Deere cap and jumped down off the fence, landing next to Scully.

"We'll make a farmer out of you yet," he said, smiling down at her.

"I certainly wouldn't have to go to the gym anymore," she laughed, flexing her bicep a little.

Skinner grew serious, and reaching forward plucked the errant strand of hay from her hair. He caressed her red tresses for a moment and then pulled his hand away. She gave him a quizzical look.

"Did you ever think of just chucking it, Scully? Retiring from the Bureau I mean. Quitting and finding a little place in the country to settle down in?" he asked quietly, studying her face.

He was trying to keep his expression neutral but he knew his eyes were needy...desirous that she say yes and he couldn't help himself.

"Is that what you're going to do, Walter...retire to the country?" she whispered.

He gazed into her eyes for a moment longer and not seeing any sign of her feelings in the matter, shrugged and looked away at the cattle munching their breakfast.

"I've thought about it. I like it out here. It's...real," he murmured. When she didn't reply he let his gaze refocus on her. Scully had her head bent and she was studying some dirt on the work gloves she wore. She flicked it away and spoke.

"I...there's still a lot to be done..." she started to reply.

He touched her hand and she looked up.

"Listen...I know. I didn't mean that as...well as any kind of suggestion or request. I don't want to pressure you. I don't...Scully I don't expect you to decide to give it all up for me. That wouldn't be fair..." he interrupted. "Besides...I haven't really decided whether a place in the country is for me either." She shook her head and he stopped talking.

The chainsaw roared for a second, her brow furrowed and she stood in silence. When the saw became less loud again, Scully replied.

"Walter, I want to be with you but...we need to discuss this," she replied quietly, giving a little shrug. "I'm sorry...I guess I didn't think much farther than getting to the part where I apologized and told you I loved you," she added ruefully, looking up at him again. "Gee...who would have thought...'Ms. Organized' doesn't think beyond asking the man she's wronged horribly to forgive her," she added, her voice a little thick.

He gave her a warm smile and took her around the shoulders then, squeezing her to him.

"I can't say I did either. Scully...this is sudden for both of us. Intense. Let's try to take a deep breath and give it some time to register. It's great to be here but I don't think either of us expected to be in this position. And we should go easy on each other, be easy on ourselves too. We lived under the gun for so long. I don't think we should do it any longer," Skinner replied, hugging her close.

As she leaned into him, the chainsaw sputtered to a stop and both Skinner and Scully looked up in the direction of the cessation of sound.

Nancy Creed's SUV was pulling up to the three car detached garage.

"My hostess?" Scully observed quietly, removing her gloves and reaching around to stuff them into the back pocket of her jeans.

"Yes, Nancy, Harlan Jr. and Amanda," Skinner replied, nodding. His forearm muscle gave off a sudden spasm as Scully moved under it. He unwound his arm from her shoulders. She raised an eyebrow and frowned a little at the movement. He realized she thought he was withdrawing from her as he shook his arm a little.

 

"I didn't mean to pull back," he hastened to assure her. "I had a cramp. I guess my muscles aren't as conditioned to farmwork as I thought," he added ruefully. He was sore he thought a little forlornly. He had an instant, unfortunate memory of a doctor standing in front of him and saying 'You're not 20 anymore,' and he frowned a little. "I guess I should remember I'm 48," he finished.

Scully took his hand silently and squeezed his fingers.

"I said you'd improved with age," she replied, smiling. "Come on, introduce me to Nancy," she added, swinging his hand towards the SUV.

Skinner looked down at her and gave her hand a return squeeze. He felt the emotion well up on his chest and looked off over the yard at the car to mask the fact he could hardly speak right at that moment. Nancy Creed seemed to be talking on her cell phone as Skinner focused on the scene in front of him. She must be calling Harlan to say she got in, he thought. He turned back to Scully again after he gained a little composure.

"Yes, certainly," he managed to mumble, keeping her hand in his as he started to walk towards the SUV.

The twins were piling out of the car. Kevin had put the chainsaw down and taken off his gloves, goggles and insulated ear protectors. Harlan and Amanda ran to him and Skinner could see them talking excitedly to the teenager. The storm must have been very impressive in Ramsey Skinner thought, his mood lifting further as he watched the three younger people. He and Scully traversed the space fairly quickly and Nancy Creed as well as the twins noticed them approach at the same time. The twins were struck mute as they observed the woman holding Skinner's hand.

Nancy stuffed the cell phone in her jeans pocket and shut the SUV door. When she turned she had a look of surprise on her face as well and tried to recover as she covered the ground between herself and Skinner and Scully.

"Agent Scully..." she began, extending her hand.

Scully extricated her hand from Skinner's and extended it. Nancy watched the motion and Skinner saw her eyes widen slightly at their joined hands just before Scully dropped his. As he watched Nancy, a bit at a loss, she took Scully's hand in both her hands and shook it up and down.

"Nancy, I'm so sorry to impose but I...I just had to come down after your call to make sure everything was all right, and with the storm..." Scully began to explain as Nancy still seemed stuck on what to say.

Nancy let go of the smaller woman's hands and pushed her long black hair back behind her ears. Skinner was faintly amused at the contrast between the two women. Nancy was almost as tall as he and tanned compared to Scully's more petite height and fair skin. Lucky I loaned Scully that hat he thought. Even so, she was freckling a bit from the sun. Cookies and cream he thought for a moment and then he refocused on Nancy.

"Oh well...this is unexpected but...I wouldn't have wanted you to go elsewhere during that downpour," she replied with a flustered nod. She glanced at Skinner where he stood, mute and studying her reaction. He saw the questions flickering across her face. Further explanations would have to wait however, the twins had come to life and were dragging Kevin over, one on either arm.

"I told them it really was you but not to make a big fuss," Kevin grumbled a little as Harlan and Amanda pulled up beside their mother. Nancy looked even more flustered at Kevin's comment and addressed him but it had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

"Oh...Kevin...uh...was that the only damage, the limb? Walter...did you all make out ok last night?"

Skinner almost choked on his reply and Kevin gave him a flash of an embarrassed look.

"Agent Scully, Agent Scully," Harlan Jr. was chiming in trying to get her attention.

 

Amanda was a bit more sedate and trying to act more adult.

"Harlan...shut up...we have to wait for an introduction."

Scully looked from one to the other and at Nancy giving them all a strained smile.

Nancy finally held up her hands.

"Hold it!" she barked. "Let me...let me gather my thoughts...please," she added, placing her hand over her brow for a moment.

The silence was deafening. Nancy massaged her temples and then dropped her hand. She looked up at the circle of faces around her.

"I'm sorry. This has been a stressful 24 hours," she stated, straightening and trying to muster the energy to continue.

Skinner stepped forward and stood next to Nancy, offering her strength with just his close presence. Taking charge quietly he spoke matter-of-factly.

"Agent Scully...uh...these are Nancy's children, Harlan Jr. and Amanda. Kids...this is Agent Dana Scully," he stated.

"We're pleased to meet you," Amanda answered politely.

"Yes, pleased to meet you," Harlan replied as well.

"I'm pleased to meet you both too," Scully replied with a smile.

Skinner nodded his approval and continued.

"Nancy...the tree was the only damage from the storm. Kevin has that well in hand and Agent Scully and I have fed and watered the herd. If you'd like we could all go inside and relax for a bit," he suggested quietly, his authoritative voice bringing immediate quiet and a grateful look from Nancy.

"I think that sounds like an excellent idea," she replied with relief.

"There's still coffee," Kevin volunteered. "Come on you guys, you can help me get some clean cups out," he added, gesturing towards Harlan and Amanda.

"May we have some chocolate milk, Mom?" Amanda asked brightly.

"Yes, Mom. Please?" Harlan seconded.

"I think that would be acceptable, yes," she smiled and nodded at them. The twins turned and Nancy mouthed 'Thank you,' at Kevin. Kevin smirked, ducked his head and gestured the kids way. "We'll be there in a minute," she added to their backs as they walked away. Then she turned back towards Skinner and Scully.

"Thank you too, Walter. And again, Agent Scully...I really do apologize."

"It's Dana and no apologies necessary. It must have been a very difficult night for you. Not to mention a difficult few weeks. How is your husband?" Scully replied graciously, making a gesture that indicated they could walk towards the house as they continued to talk.

"Harlan is improving a lot but I keep cautioning him not to rush it. He can be too impatient for his own good. Thank you for your concern," she replied.

"Harlan is one stubborn son of a bitch. I hope his doctors are riding herd on him," Skinner replied, pacing the two women as they talked.

"Oh yes. They're making sure he follows doctor's orders. They've got all the nurses clued in too. I just reinforced my feelings there when I called him on the cell to tell him we got back. None of us are letting him get away with any of his bullheadedness," Nancy assured Skinner.

Scully chuckled.

"Sounds like someone else I know," she replied under her breath, giving Skinner a brief sidelong teasing look.

He raised an eyebrow at her.

Scully ducked her head, shaking it and smiling a little.

Nancy watched the exchange with interest but didn't comment.

"I have to get up there and see him," Skinner commented as he approached the screen door to the house.

"I know he'd like that, Walter. I also know he wants to thank you for helping out."

Skinner shook his head with a gesture that said Harlan's thanks weren't necessary.

"I'll tell him the same thing I told you...it's no problem and my pleasure," he rumbled, pulling the door open so that Nancy and Scully could walk through.

"I'm glad he's doing well," Scully added, smiling at Nancy before she walked ahead of her into the house.

"It's a real relief," the other woman sighed.

Skinner thought she looked exhausted. All his intentions of dealing with her phone call to Scully and the subsequent aftermath took a back seat to seeing that this woman had a chance to rest. She'd been through a lot since Harlan's accident. There was no sense in her stressing herself out or worrying about Scully coming down here and their relationship issues...or if things continued as well as they were...non-issues.

"Sit down...let me get you that coffee," he told her as they crossed the back porch and entered the kitchen.

The conversation around the kitchen table was a little more subdued than normal, partly because Nancy made sure the twins realized they weren't supposed to expect Scully to render up information all at once and also because in truth, the twins were a little tired also.

They lost interest in Scully's celebrity status after a short time. The long term behind the scenes struggle and the short actual war with the aliens had resulted in enough casualties that some things weren't pleasant topics for young children anyway so they didn't get into the down and dirty details about black oil, exploding chests as grays birthed out of their human hosts, clones or alien-human hybrids.

Scully described a little about what the grays looked like close up and how she and Mulder had been in their ships. She promised to show them a copy of the book, which she had in her rental car. The book was complete with black and white and color photos which she said would show them better than she could describe anyway. Harlan Jr. wanted to know if she carried a gun and Amanda said he was silly, of course FBI agents carried guns. Scully said yes, she did carry a Smith and Wesson. In fact, the gun and her ID were locked in her bag in the guest bedroom but that didn't come up during the conversation because the twins interrupted saying they wanted to see her gun. Nancy said maybe later and to remember that under no circumstances were they to touch the weapon. Both kids, as well as Kevin although he wasn't as vocal about it, were impressed that she was an FBI agent, a doctor and a writer now.

Skinner kept his ear on the conversation as he finished up the laundry and waving Nancy back to the table, folded it for her and stacked it on top of the dryer to be put away later. He was heartily glad they didn't ask any questions regarding his involvement with anything Scully did. As close as they got to that subject was Nancy telling them that Agent Scully had come down to visit 'Uncle Walter' because she was an old friend and happened to be in the 'neighborhood'. Skinner could tell that Amanda wasn't buying that explanation exactly but she stayed quiet due to her overtaxed mother giving her a piercing look.

After the twins finished their milk that was about all she wrote. They asked to be excused and went to their rooms, Amanda saying she wanted to read and Harlan Jr. ostensibly to work on a model he was putting together. When they exited, Scully excused herself and went to the bathroom and Kevin excused himself and went outside to finish stacking the wood since he informed them he was really done with the chainsaw.

Nancy looked at Skinner and spoke.

"I bet they'll be asleep under a half hour," she said. "None of us got much sleep last night. Amanda is still frightened of storms so we spent a lot of time comforting her," she added in way of explanation.

"I'm sorry," Skinner commiserated. "That was one hell of a storm. I can understand why she was frightened."

Nancy nodded but with a distracted look on her face. She toyed with her coffee mug for a moment and then replied...but not to Skinner's comment.

"Walter...I didn't ask her down here," she began intensely.

Skinner shook his head and she stopped talking abruptly.

"She told me that, Nancy. I...I was shocked at first to think you did. I wasn't overly enamored of the idea you called her at all..." Skinner replied, honestly.

Nancy frowned a little.

"I did it out of friendship and only wanting to see you get some closure. I was upset at seeing you agonize over her. I guess I just made the call as a last ditch effort to..." she stopped abruptly when Scully walked back into the room. It was obvious from Scully's body language that she had overheard them even though her face didn't reveal her feelings over what she'd heard. Skinner looked up at her and his expression was apologetic that they were talking about her behind her back.

"I'm sorry...we shouldn't have been discussing this while you were out of the room," Nancy voiced his thoughts.

Scully composed herself and came forward to sit down at the table again. As soon as she was seated she spoke quietly.

"I should be the one to apologize. You only suggested I might call Walter. It was my decision to come here. I'll...I realize it was a shock and I don't want to impose on your hospitality. I'll get a room at the motel in Lyons," she replied evenly.

"Dana...really it's no imposition," Nancy reassured her. "Especially if you're going to pitch in and help," she added with a smile to lighten the issue. The John Deere hat Skinner had loaned Scully, and the gloves she'd worn, were on the table in front of her. "I can work out something with the sleeping arrangements. Walter and Kevin can bunk in together or something," she finished, her voice sincere.

"Well..." Scully began.

"Besides...I think Walter would like you to stay," Nancy interjected giving Skinner a raised eyebrow. "Listen...if one of you isn't going to say it...I will. I take it things worked out here, right? I mean if it isn't any of my business tell me to butt out but maybe I have reason to be optimistic for you both?" she asked, looking from one to the other of them.

Skinner cleared his throat and Scully smiled a wry smile.

"Uh..." Skinner began, looking at Scully, suddenly embarrassed and annoyed at himself for being so. Scully smiled a little wider and addressed Nancy.

"Optimism would do it, yes," she replied, reaching across and taking Skinner's hand.

Skinner smiled gently at her and took her hand for a moment, toying with her fingers. She looked into her eyes and saw the permission for him to go on. The permission as well as the acceptance he should be the one to tell Nancy, as her friend, what happened last night. He released Scully's hand and cleared his throat again.

"We're getting things worked out, yes," he rumbled, looking down at his hand for a moment. He still marveled at how large his hand was compared to Scully's. How good it felt to hold her hand in his...enfolded protectively...but to feel her strength against his as well. He looked back up at Nancy and continued. "But...as much as you want to be hospitable I have to tell you..." he began taking a breath. "Things have gone a little bit beyond just optimistic. Scully slept with me last night," he stated matter-of-factly.

"Oh," Nancy remarked, running a hand through her hair. Her voice was neutral but when she didn't say anything else Skinner spoke again.

"And I can't lie and say I wouldn't like that arrangement to continue," he said, glancing over at Scully. He wouldn't speak for her. She knew her own mind but he thought he knew what she would say...or hoped he did anyway.

"That was the point I was going to make as well," Scully advised, nodding. "It might be better if I took that room in the motel, under the circumstances."

"I don't imagine you'll be comfortable with Scully and I sleeping together here. Not with the twins, or Kevin either. Not thinking about Kevin last night was rather inconsiderate of us as well I think. At any rate, I might consider our sharing a room ill advised as well," he finished, settling back in his chair to wait for Nancy's answer.

Nancy looked at their serious faces for a moment and then sat back and laughed. Skinner and Scully stared at her, both their faces with almost identical looks of confusion. Nancy rolled her eyes a little and replied.

"Walter...I don't consider myself a prude, overly conservative or that traditional. This is the year 2000. Of course I realize the two of you would want to share a bed if you've managed to iron your relationship out that much. God...I'm thrilled for you. As for my kids or Kevin...they're not unsophisticated or judgmental either for that matter. They've been exposed to the idea two people in love would sleep together...even have sex...regardless of their marital status. I mean good Lord...they watch TV and see things way worse on the news. I trust their upbringing, even Kevin's, to tell them which choices I would like them to make. But...even if they make the choice not to wait until marriage to have sex...I'm not going to judge them or criticize them, any more than I would criticize you. That's not my place," she replied in one rush of words.

Skinner shook his head.

"I don't want you to feel we're compromising what you're trying to teach your children or Kevin's parents may be trying to teach him," Skinner replied, seriously.

Just as Nancy was about to answer they heard two sounds. A child's footsteps somewhere from the direction of the bedrooms and the ringing of the phone. Nancy jumped a little as she was sitting closest to the cordless where it hung on the wall.

"I'll get it!" Harlan Jr. called from the living room.

"No, Harlan...let it go to the..." Nancy began. Before she could get out the word 'machine', Harlan Jr. had picked up the receiver.

"Creed residence," they heard him say.

"I'm sorry...I'd better go see who's calling," Nancy apologized, giving them a pained smile. "Hold this thought...I'll be back," she added, pushing her chair away from the table. She left the kitchen and when she did, Scully's shoulders sagged a little and Skinner rocked back in his chair.

They heard Nancy say something to Harlan Jr. about going to his room, the reason for which they didn't quite catch. They heard his feet receding back up the hallway. Nancy began to talk on the phone and Skinner tuned her out and turned towards Scully

"Why do I feel like a throwback to the 1950s?" Skinner rumbled a chuckle.

Scully gave him an annoyed look. Skinner stared at her for a second in disbelief and raised an eyebrow as well.

"What?" he asked quietly, lowering the legs of his chair. "What did I say wrong? I was only implying that I felt..." he began, whispering.

"Oh, I know what you were implying. But, God, Walter...that was embarrassing. I mean I felt like...well I don't know what I felt like," she whispered back, running her hands through her hair.

"Are you trying to say you were embarrassed about last night...about being together?" he asked confused...anger threatening to grow in his chest.

He kept his voice as even as he could while trying to rein in his anger and also keep his voice down. What was wrong here, he thought. One minute she's fine with what happened and the next second she's embarrassed about having sex with me? Bullshit. Skinner frowned a little as Scully furrowed her brow at him.

"No...I wasn't embarrassed about being with you...I was just a little unenthusiastic about everyone knowing about it. Kevin was bad enough..." she started.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," he retorted. "Isn't that the same thing? Last night I didn't notice you considering Kevin's sensibilities any more than I did either...and yeah...I agree...that was embarrassing...but..." Skinner replied, his voice a low hiss.

"Would you let me explain? No...it is not the same thing," Scully interrupted, hissing back, gathering herself up for a heated debate.

Harlan Jr. appeared in the kitchen doorway and both of them stopped talking instantly.

"Hi," he smiled a little shyly.

"Harlan," Skinner rumbled in greeting, smoothing his fringe of hair down and straightening in his chair.

He'd been angled forward toward Scully trying to keep their conversation private. He also had a pang of guilt because he knew he was also leaning closer out of force of habit. Old Bureau ways died hard. He had been trying to intimidate her too. Shit he thought. That was the worst thing he could have possibly done and if she was going to blow up at him that would have been the match that ignited the explosion.

"I couldn't sleep so I asked Mom if I could show Agent Scully the chickens. She said I could if I changed my shoes and put on my work boots. I need to make sure they have enough feed and fresh water," Harlan replied.

"Agent Scully and I were talking to your mother..." Skinner began.

"I'd love to see the chickens, Harlan," Scully interrupted.

Skinner's head swiveled slowly from Harlan to Scully. His face settled into a blank mask to hide the anger that was fast threatening to make him lose his composure.

"Oh?" he choked out.

"Yes, I'd enjoy it," Scully replied carefully, smiling at Harlan and not looking at Skinner. "Excuse me," she added, rising. She picked up the cap she'd been wearing and crammed it quickly onto her head.

"Great!" Harlan enthused seeming to ignore the snap, crackle and pop of discord in the kitchen.

Skinner nodded, his face set in stone as Scully pushed back from the table and Harlan led her out the back door. The boy began to chatter about his charges, his favorite hens, the rooster and the fact that they had colored eggs and he bet Scully had never seen blue and green eggs before. And Skinner heard Scully's level voice trying to sound enthused and professing great interest in seeing blue and green eggs because yes Harlan was right...she had never seen those. As their voices faded Skinner moved to run his hand up under his glasses, realized he wasn't wearing any, silently cursed and pinched the bridge of his nose instead.

Damn it to hell. He was beginning to think he'd never understand women. He'd tried twice and failed. He seemed to be working on his third time...with the same woman from his second time at bat. Did he want to try for strike number three? He shook his head in chagrin. What in God's name was wrong with him that he couldn't talk to Scully without creating a misunderstanding or disagreement?

He sighed and as his mind tried to wrap around the problem further, Nancy Creed returned to the kitchen.

She took one look at Skinner's face and sat back down.

"What did Harlan say? Did they go out to see the chickens?" she asked immediately.

Skinner shook his head and gave her a weary smile.

"Don't worry. Yes, they're tending to the poultry. Harlan was a perfect gentleman. I, on the other hand..." he explained, looking down at his John Deere hat.

"You and Dana had a fight while I was on the phone?" she asked incredulously.

Skinner looked up at her, his face a mixture of annoyance and embarrassment.

"I'm sorry," Nancy apologized for her tone. "It's just...well...God, Walter. The two of you must be mercurial together. Are you sure this is what you want..." she let her voice trail away. "That's a stupid question too. I can tell what you want by the way you look at each other. Walter...I keep having to say I'm sorry...I sound like a broken 'pity me' record here. I think you'll have to make allowances for my fatigue. Quite frankly...I'm on emotional overload," she rambled, slumping in her chair.

Skinner was instantly contrite.

"Hey...don't worry about it. I should be the one apologizing. It's not fair for Sc...uh Dana and I to be dragging our relationship issues into your home. Especially with your situation," he replied quietly.

"Walter...I notice you call her Scully almost all the time. Isn't...isn't that a little impersonal?" Nancy asked with a tired quizzical look.

"If you mean was that part of the argument..." Skinner began to reply, caught with being confused and annoyed at the question.

"I didn't think it was...I was just curious as to why you do," Nancy replied.

"Habit partly...I called her Agent Scully so often at the Bureau it's a knee-jerk reaction in some ways. But...her partner always called her Scully too...I don't know...it suits her somehow," he shrugged.

"Well...whatever. Listen...I'm sorry you're having issues at all. Was it that serious a disagreement?" she asked still concerned and interested despite her fatigue.

Skinner rubbed his hand between his thumb and forefinger massaging a little soreness that was there.

"Yeah, we had a disagreement. We have a lot of disagreements. To be blunt...Scully and I didn't relate all that much on a close interpersonal level. I mean not really getting to know each other I think. We worked together and it was a very professional relationship. Then we had sex together in one whirlwind weekend. I don't think we knew what the hell hit us to be honest. But...it must have been some kind of revelation because we did make an attempt to have it work," Skinner explained, his voice equally as weary as Nancy's. He folded his hands in front of him on the table.

Nancy nodded.

"You didn't get to truly know each other," she confirmed.

"Exactly. Hell...our entire working life was based on a seesawing of distrust and animosity balanced by respect and friendship...and disagreements. Our short time together off the job wasn't any different. But we're starting to admit...Nancy I think we really do love each other. I think maybe we did all those years even. But whether we can keep from killing each other to confirm that, is what I'm not sure about," he replied, sighing and shaking his head. He had a sudden sinking feeling when he uttered the words as well. That was almost the same thing Scully had said about her and Mulder...and they were history. He shoved thoughts of impending relationship doom way down deep and vowed that he'd try like hell not to let things head there again.

Nancy rested her arms across her chest.

"You know...the two of you are an awful lot alike...at least I get that impression from what I've seen of Scully so far and what you've told me about her. You're both proud, stubborn people with a big, soft spot in the middle. Maybe you need to discuss that idea together and see if it's getting in the way of what you want to be for each other," she replied quietly.

Skinner looked up at her and gave her a small smile.

"You're implying that we're both too self-centered and tight-assed to know what's good for us...to know what we both want in our own hearts?"

"Something like that," she shrugged. "I'll tell you what. Why don't you see if you can convince her to stay. What's up with her schedule?"

"She's canceled two of her appearances. She doesn't have to resume the book tour until next Wednesday," Skinner answered

"Well then see if you can get her to stay until Wednesday and really...she can stay here. I'll explain to the twins. The two of you can have the master bedroom. It's more private since it's upstairs and not really over the other rooms. I'll take the guest room and..." she started to continue and Skinner shook his head decisively.

"No way, Nancy. I am not putting you out of your bedroom so that..."

"Walter, listen," Nancy interjected, her voice soft but the tone brooking no argument in its seriousness. Skinner ceased talking. "I've watched the news over the last year or so. I know what you and Scully and her partner..." she stopped, her brow creasing.

"Mulder," Skinner rumbled when she got stuck on his name.

"Right. Fox Mulder," she nodded. "I know what all of you went through. And Walter...it seems to me all of you have suffered enough. You went through hell yourself, you can't tell me you didn't. To be honest I don't know how you held up...that and your career at the Bureau and Vietnam and..." she let her voice fade and shook her head. Skinner let her gather her thoughts. He wanted to make her stop because clearly she was exhausted and this wasn't helping her. Besides...she was bringing up old ghosts that he would just as soon not conjure.

But he didn't speak. He knew she had something she had to get out and he respected her need to do it.

"Well, there's no point in belaboring it. My point is if you can work things out with Scully and find some happiness for a change I think you deserve it...and I'd like to try to help. I can't ever tell you how much your coming down here has helped Harlan and me...so I guess I'd like to try to show you. Actions speak louder than words, so...let me help, you bullheaded man," she finished, taking his hand and shaking it.

Skinner ducked his head and gave her a rueful smile.

"How can I argue?" he replied. "I'll feel like an ingrate if I do," he added teasing her.

"You better believe it...I'll never let you live it down," she replied, gently placing his hand down on the table.

"Ok...I'll see if I can..." Skinner began to answer.

He was interrupted by Scully coming quickly into the house and going directly over to the sink. Skinner started to speak and then he noticed the trail of blood spots she left on the floor. He was on his feet instantly.

"What happened?" he barked, striding to the sink.

"It's all right," Scully assured him, turning the faucet on. She plunged her arm under the stream of cold water as Skinner came up to her side. The water running off her arm was tinged with red.

A second later Harlan Jr. rushed into the kitchen, carrying Scully's John Deere cap. He threw it onto the counter next to the sink.

"It was Foghorn," he blurted out

"Harlan, didn't you make sure the gate was shut or ask Kevin to run interference?" Nancy admonished the boy.

He hung his head.

"No, ma'am," he answered. "Kevin went down to the big barn. I forgot about the gate."

Nancy gave him a stern look.

"The rooster did what...attacked her?" Skinner asked incredulously.

"He was only protecting his territory," Scully replied, grimacing a little.

Skinner's brow furrowed and he reached in to examine her arm.

"Ouch," Scully hissed as he turned it slightly under the water to see the twin gouges that were opened up on the side of her forearm.

"Christ," he rumbled, looking over at Nancy.

"Let me get some disinfectant and bandages," she volunteered, hurrying quickly away.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Harlan said, shifting from foot to foot in dismay.

"It's fine, Harlan. Don't worry about it. He was only doing his job," Scully insisted again, giving the boy a kind and understanding look. "And it's not my gun arm," she added with a chuckle.

"We were just looking at the blue eggs in the nesting box and he came in through the door and flew at her. He has really big spurs and nails," Harlan explained glumly.

"I guess so...well they say chickens are the dinosaurs' direct descendants. Just like those dinosaurs in what was it...Jurassic Park," Skinner offered as Scully expertly examined her wounds.

"That's rather interesting actually. If I was to check these against the skeletal remains of say, the claws of a velociraptor I might find an imprint match," Scully mused, looking at the twin gouges clinically.

Harlan peered closer. "Wow, cool," he replied, temporarily forgetting his guilt over not shutting the gate to the coop yard.

Skinner gave a tight smile.

"Thank you, Doctor Scully. Say, Har...why don't you go get Agent Scully a clean, soft towel," he suggested as the youngster craned his head to see Scully soaping up her arm with the antibacterial soap next to the sink.

"Yes, sir," Harlan replied and he left their side.

Skinner stood for a moment as Scully gingerly cleaned her wounds.

"I'm sorry," he finally said, touching her hip gently.

"Oh these aren't anything," she blustered a little. "We've both had worse," she added, giving him a quick, fleeting smile.

Obviously she didn't or didn't want to divine what he meant, he thought. He was trying to apologize for his part in their earlier disagreement. He straightened his shoulders and took another tact.

"You know roosters can be very territorial. Protective of their hens. Typically male I guess," he said quietly moving in behind her back.

"Well this one certainly did his duty," she replied, rinsing her arm again.

"Yeah...single minded bastard...ornery...aggressive...intimidating...just like a lot of men," he whispered in her ear.

She stopped rinsing her arm, reached over and turned off the water. She glanced into his profile as he embraced her around the waist.

"Is there a point here?" she asked softly.

"Yes...I'm trying to apologize for being an ornery, single-minded bastard. For trying to use my physicality to intimidate you earlier. None of that was appropriate. None of it was fair. I'm sorry," he replied, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. He pulled away then and allowed her some space to consider what he'd said as well as move away from the sink.

"Walter, I..." she began to reply just as Harlan returned with the towel, Nancy right behind him laden with first aid supplies.

"Can you do this yourself?" Skinner asked as Nancy put some packages of sterile gauze pads and a box of assorted Band-Aids down on the kitchen table. Harlan handed Scully the towel and she blotted her arm and then set it on the counter near the sink.

"I'm sorry...I didn't know which you would think was better," she said, juggling the bottles of alcohol and peroxide. She managed to get them both onto the table without dropping them.

"I think I could use an extra set of hands...Walter?" she asked, giving him a softer look. "And I think I'll go with the peroxide," she added, taking a seat at the table.

Skinner nodded, went to the sink and quickly washed his hands with the antibacterial soap. He used the towel Harlan had brought to dry his hands as well. Then he approached the kitchen table and sat down across from Scully.

"Harlan," Nancy said and her son hung his head again. "Oh, honey, come here," she told him, gesturing with her arm. Harlan walked over and slid up under her arm. She hugged him. "I'm sorry...I know you just forgot. But try to remember next time that Foghorn is a holy terror with people he doesn't know, all right? I'm sorry I snapped at you. Mom's a little tired," she finished.

"Yes, ma'am," Harlan replied, snuggling a little closer to her side.

"Now...did you finish with the chickens?" Nancy asked.

"No, ma'am. I still have to give them more food and water," he answered dutifully.

"Why don't you go finish up then. And thank you, hon. Mom appreciates you keeping up with your chores," she replied, kissing his head.

"Yes, ma'am. I'm sorry, Agent Scully," Harlan replied in a small voice.

"No hard feelings, Harlan. I think you've done a wonderful job with the chickens. They all looked healthy and those eggs were lovely," she replied, smiling up at him.

Harlan smiled wide and extricated himself from under his mother's arm.

"I'll bring in some green eggs for you to see," he replied as he headed for the back door.

"Thank you," Scully replied as he clattered out the door. Nancy ruffled her son's hair on the way out and then she leaned up against the sink, her arms across her chest.

"What do you want me to do?" Skinner asked quietly as he touched her left hand where she'd placed her arm flat on the table.

She looked back at him and their eyes locked for a moment. He could see she was doing this not so much because she really needed help but as a way to tell him she wasn't angry with him any longer. By letting him touch her she was reassuring him that they could clear up the matter as soon as they were alone again.

"Would you open the peroxide and put some on one of those sterile gauze pads, please. Then press it over the wounds and apply some pressure. It's at a bit of an awkward angle and I don't think I can apply enough pressure myself to stop the bleeding," she told him matter-of-factly. She tempered her Dr. Scully demeanor with a slight squeeze of his fingers.

Skinner nodded curtly and did as she requested, pressing the gauze tightly to her arm.

"You're going to have to live this one down at the Bureau, you realize that?" he teased, looking into her eyes. "Agent Dana Scully lets a rooster get the drop on her," he added, giving her a grin.

She chuckled and so did Nancy.

"Yes, since the X-Files are closed I can't even pass it off as that," she replied. For a moment her voice took on a wistful quality at the mention of the X-Files but then she cleared her throat.

"Is everything all right...the phone call..." she asked Nancy from her position leaning up against the sink.

"Oh yes...that was just Peg Underwood," she answered. "A friend of mine," she added for Scully's benefit since she knew Walter was more than familiar with the redoubtable Ms. Underwood. "She's in charge of the refreshments at the St. Pat's church fair this year and I know she wants me to help out this coming weekend. So we need to discuss it."

"Church fair?" Scully asked.

"Yes, this Saturday and Sunday and it's to raise money for St. Pat's of course. I hope you'll both consider going. It's a lot of fun. They have the usual fair activities...lots to eat, games, bingo. There's even a square dance Saturday night and a brunch Sunday morning after mass. I know...it sounds old-fashioned but it really isn't that archaic," she replied, giving them a self-deprecating smile.

"It's for a good cause," Skinner replied, glancing at Scully.

"I think it sounds like fun. If Walter would like to be my escort," Scully answered, giving Skinner a small smile.

"I think that could be arranged," Skinner replied, puffing up a little. Nancy smiled at them both.

"Well at any rate," she continued, "Peg and I had a date to get together but I begged off today. I told her maybe tomorrow for coffee after morning chores. I told her I'd meet her in town. And she asked about you, Walter. I told her you weren't coming along," she added giving Skinner a pointed look.

Scully caught it and raised an eyebrow. Skinner coughed and gave a tight grin.

"Ms. Underwood is an overenthusiastic divorcee," he stated, wryly.

"Oh?" Scully asked, trying to suppress her smile.

"Yes, I had to protect Walter's honor," Nancy replied, chuckling.

"Thank God she was there. That woman would have eaten me alive," he deadpanned.

Scully laughed and so did Nancy. Skinner pulled the gauze up off Scully's arm. The wounds had stopped bleeding and Skinner thought they didn't look nearly as bad.

Scully peered at them.

"I'll live," she pronounced, reaching for the box of Band-Aids.

Nancy laughed again but it ended on a yawn.

"God, Nancy. Why don't you go catch 40 winks? We can handle things here. I know Kevin is down there gassing up the skid steer. We need to take care of that manure pile. Get some rest. We'll wake you at dinnertime," Skinner insisted.

"Are you sure? What about Harlan?"

"When he brings in the eggs I'll encourage him to get some rest too. I think he forgot about the rooster out of a mixture of fatigue and excitement. If I couch my suggestion in those terms he might accept it," Skinner replied.

Scully listened quietly to the exchange as she fumbled with one of the large Band-Aids from the box. Skinner reached over and helped her as she fixed it to her arm.

"Thank you," she gave him a flash of a smile.

"No problem," he replied, pulling his hands away and looking at Nancy again.

"So?" he asked her.

"I think it might be a good idea," Scully agreed, her voice gentle.

"All right...two against one. I know when I'm outnumbered," Nancy chuckled, levering off from where she was leaning against the kitchen cabinet. "I'll see you later, then," she finished as she walked out of the kitchen.

"Manure?" Scully queried, looking at him with a bit of a smirk.

"Yeah...more manure. I may not work for the Bureau any longer but I'm still shoveling shit," he replied, barking a laugh.

Scully laughed, shaking her head. As soon as they calmed down Scully's brow creased.

"I'd like to help...but I'd also like to keep my arm clean," she said as Skinner reached for his John Deere hat and stood up.


"Ever driven a skid steer?" he asked gruffly.

"No...I don't know how," she answered bluntly.

"Want to learn?" he smiled down at her.

"Yeah," she replied, giving him a smile in return.

xXx

Skinner shut the faucet off and grabbed the hand towel from the rack next to the sink in the master bathroom. He blotted his face, hung the towel back up and exited the bathroom.

Scully was already in the king-sized bed in the master bedroom suite, curled up under the sheets. The AC in the house made any other bedding unnecessary. Skinner flexed his back a little. The cool air felt good against his skin he thought as he walked towards the bed.

They'd put in a good day's work. There'd been a lot of manure to clean up and move around. Not pleasant work. Sweaty, grimy and smelly. Scully had manned the skid steer like she'd been doing it all her life once he and Kevin had given her a little instruction. Skinner and the teen had taken the less pleasant job of maneuvering stuff around with shovels. Between the three of them the job got done and one manure pile had been totally moved and the other tidied up, and the manure in the pens had been cleaned up as well. When they were done of course, all of them had taken long showers and changed into fresh clothing.

Nancy and the twins had slept, Skinner had been able to convince Harlan Jr. that a nap wasn't a bad idea after all. Nancy managed to sleep until dinner but the twins were up ahead of time and Skinner put them to work in fixing steaks, baked potatoes and another fresh salad courtesy of Scully.

Dinner had been convivial with Kevin mainly holding court for once, talking about music and there was some debate about the merits of the Back Street Boys, who were making a comeback, and were currently Amanda's favorite group. The adults were content to allow the younger people to drive the conversation for once. It was as if no one wanted to talk about the Bureau or aliens or any of the myriad of subjects that could have come up in regards to Scully's work or celebrity or Skinner's role in any of it. Skinner was thankful for it and he could also tell from Scully's more relaxed body language and tone that she was just as happy to forgo being the center of attention.

After dinner the twins decided to play some games on their Sony PlayStation. Kevin opted to join in. Nancy called Harlan and the kids took some time to talk to him as well. Skinner and Scully had volunteered for KP duty and while they were in the kitchen they also had a feeling Nancy was quietly explaining the sleeping arrangements. Skinner and Scully made some desultory comments regarding that idea but mostly they kept the talk light and easy knowing that later they'd have plenty of time in private to discuss heavier matters. Skinner was relieved that both of them were more calm and he was pretty sure the disagreement from earlier was going to smooth itself out.

Finally everyone started to wind down. The twins went to bed at nine o'clock, or at least went to their rooms. Nancy said they'd probably listen to music or read until they finally felt sleepy again. Nancy, Skinner and Scully sat in the living room, nursing beers together. Kevin had been included in the adult before bed ritual, albeit with a glass of iced tea. Skinner was pleased to see the teen's expression at being included as an equal. At that point Skinner brought up the idea of Kevin using the Plymouth if he thought maybe he might have a need for it. Skinner didn't come right out and suggest he take his girl on a date but he could practically see the wheels turn in Kevin's head as soon he mentioned the car. Kevin of course asked Nancy's permission and she said she didn't see why not, as long as he was very careful and Walter didn't mind him driving the vehicle. It was a very happy Kevin Creed who went to bed at ten o'clock.

Finally Nancy bid Skinner and Scully good night after explaining where all the necessary supplies were upstairs. They had already made the switch of baggage just after dinner.

So now Skinner, clean, dry and unabashedly nude, stood before Scully who had already washed up and was lying nude under the pale blue cotton sheets. They matched her eyes, a little, he thought with an inner smile. He smiled at her then and she spoke.

"I'm glad Nancy's getting out to see her friend tomorrow. She could really use a break," Scully stated as Skinner stood by the side of the bed, adjusting the clock radio alarm so it would wake them at 6 o'clock in the morning.

He stretched his arms up and stifled a yawn. He was tired from the day as well as a little stiff but he was quite pleased to see that the fatigue, soreness and stiffness of his muscles was a lot less severe today. So, although he was tired, his body seemed to be adjusting to the extra work he was doing on the farm. That gave him a measure of satisfaction.

"Yes. I am too. She's been burning the candle at both ends that's for sure," he replied.

"Walter...it was very thoughtful of you to come down here and help her. Really," Scully replied more quietly, looking down at the fresh Band-Aid on her arm.

"Thanks. But like I said...it was necessary so I came down. How's the arm?" he rumbled, deflecting any more discussion about how noble he was being.

Scully looked back up into his face as he stood with his hands on his hips.

"My arm's good, even after my turn as...oh, what was her name? The heroine in that movie Mulder...my turn as Lt. Ripley in Aliens," she replied watching his face.

"Why is it I think that's only part of your reply?" he asked, taking his hands off his hips.

Scully shook her head and gave him a wry look.

"You know...there might just be hope for us yet...you're starting to read my mind," she replied, rolling onto her back.

Skinner reached forward and threw the sheet back. He climbed up onto the bed, splaying over her, placing his hands on either side of her head and pinning her eyes. His cock swung down and bumped between her legs but neither of them paid it any heed.

"I want everything for us, Scully. The whole ball of wax...now...tell me what else you wanted to say," he replied, his voice intense.

She reached up and stroked along his beard line.

"I was going to say that you don't like it when someone praises you, do you?" she whispered, meeting his gaze steadily.

He held her appraising look for a few more moments and then closed his eyes, sighed and rolled off her onto his back. She rolled immediately to place her elbows on his chest. He reached up and toyed with her cross where it hung down over him.

"Scully, sometimes when I do things I don't expect to receive any accolades. I just do them because they need to be done," he replied, looking back into her face.

"I believe that's partly true, Walter. I know you have a strong sense of duty. But I only think that's part of the truth. It still doesn't answer my question," she replied quietly, taking his hand and squeezing it.

He knew what she was getting at but it was going to open a whole can of worms. For starters he didn't think he was worthy of any accolades. He still had that self-disgust over his actions that made him damn himself rather than ever think he was worthy of anyone's praise. Try as he might he had trouble shaking those feelings. He wore them like a second inner skin and they had become so ingrained he wasn't sure he could ever overcome them. They also popped up almost unbidden before he realized what he was saying sometimes and hurt those he cared most about.

The other reason this was a touchy topic was because the person he most wanted praise from more than anyone else and almost beyond reason was staring into his eyes right now. Until now she'd only come half close and that had been when he was in extremis. One of those times in fact he'd been dying and he'd been bitter afterwards thinking...it took him almost dying for her to even render faint praise. Fuck it he thought that was such a damn selfish arrogant attitude as well. But it still didn't mitigate the thoughts that rattled around in his brain when he couldn't sleep at night. The thoughts that told him if Scully thought less of him...thought him unworthy then he was worthless.

As he stared into the depths of her blue eyes he knew he loved her and he knew he had to tell her the truth if they were ever going to work this out. If they were ever going to be together. When he opened his mouth words came out and he spoke more honestly to her than he had ever spoken before.

"I always had a strong sense of duty, Scully. Pride in my work even. So, I think my doing things because I think it's expected of me isn't far off the mark. But..." he began, taking a deep breath. Scully listened quietly. "After everything I did...the fence sitting...my betrayal of you and Mulder...after all the crap I'll regret to my dying day...I've had trouble accepting any kind of praise or accolades for a very long time. I don't know how to stop myself from feeling that way, Scully. That self-disgust. I can almost taste it and I don't know how to rinse the taste out of my mouth," he continued, looking away from her probing stare.

"My distrust in you couldn't have helped that very much," she whispered and his eyes slid back to her face. He swallowed and plunged into deeper waters.

"Scully, I didn't give you a lot of reason to trust me back in the old days. I mean...that's part of my cross to bear too I think. But...you...you were the only person that I fervently hoped would give me their approval. Not even your praise really...just...just to hear the idea that you thought I was...worthy of your trust at some point..." he let his voice fade off and cleared his throat. "I'm sorry...this isn't easy for me to say. I don't expect it's easy for you to hear," he added, his voice strained.

Scully looked down away from his eyes and let go of his hand. She placed her hand over his heart. It felt good, that finely muscled hand resting on his skin. He took hope and strength to look into his own heart from the touch she was maintaining over his. As he watched her she looked at her hand where it rested on his flesh and spoke.

"Walter, when I was growing up one of the people I wanted praise and approval from more than anything in the world was my father. My father was a very loving man in his own way...don't get me wrong. But...he wasn't around a lot of the time and when he was he had...notions about what each of us was supposed to do, and say and be I guess you could say. Melissa and I used to joke about it sometimes...at night in those base house bedrooms we shared so often. We used to call Dad 'Pip'.

"The character in 'Great Expectations'?" Skinner asked quietly.

Scully stroked his chest and gave him a world weary smile.

"Yes. See my father had such great expectations for all of us. Melissa was to be a teacher. Bill Sr. was going to go into the Navy...follow in his footsteps. I was going to be the doctor in the family and Charles the lawyer," she explained further.

"What did your mother have to say about his plans?" Skinner asked, placing his hand over hers and stilling it on his chest. Scully looked down at their entwined hands.

"My mother went along with it to keep the peace sometimes, especially when they were younger. But during the time my father was at sea, and later as we all grew older together, she did try to instill in us a freedom of choice. It worked I guess in the long run...at least with three of us. And to be fair...Dad started to realize at least in Melissa and Charlie's case that his plans weren't going to come to fruition and he should give up trying to influence them. Bill and I were another matter. But it's all old history. Suffice it to say that I was a disappointment to him because I joined the FBI instead of practicing medicine. So, for years...right up until he died really, I was looking for his acceptance, approval or praise," she finished.

Skinner watched her face and felt his mind spin around one point. Please don't let her say she thinks of me as a surrogate father and she's wanted my approval too for that reason. That none of this can possibly work as a result. He let his eyes play over her face and being unable to tell for sure what she was going to say, he decided to just be blunt. He hoped it wouldn't irk her and would tell her he was at least trying to be more honest.

"Scully, if this is where you tell me I remind you of your father..." he began.

Her brow creased and even though he couldn't see her eyes at that moment he could see her jaw tighten and he knew for an instant she was angry at his words. But she tamped it down, however, and went on with her own honest confession.

"No, I'm saying I'm my father's daughter, Walter," Scully replied, looking up and not even blinking an eye over his frankness.

Skinner felt something lifting off his shoulders. The weight of miscommunication and he nodded and captured her eyes.

"Go on...I'm listening," he murmured gently. Scully nodded and continued.

"In some ways at any rate. Where he withheld approval and in some cases even his trust in us to do the right thing with our lives...I've done the same thing to you," she replied, her voice ending in a sigh. "I thought long and hard about my motivations in taking so long to trust in you again. I...my own stubborn pride kept me from admitting it to myself. Fear and that same pride kept me from telling you I was wrong and asking you to forgive me...even after you finally told me about your deal with Spender," she finished, looking up into his eyes again.

He nodded again, released her hand and reaching up, caressed her cheek.

"You know, earlier Nancy said we had a lot in common. Her contention was that we were both too full of stubborn pride...too tight-assed to know what was in our own hearts..." Skinner drawled.

Scully struggled to suppress her chuckle but couldn't quite manage it.

"Are you going to say Nancy is a very perceptive woman?" she snorted.

"Bingo," he chuckled, bending up and kissing Scully's nose. She moved her head and their lips met for a moment. Then he dropped his head and she lowered hers to his chest. Skinner wrapped an arm around her shoulder and stroked down her bicep with his large hand.

"Walter...she's right, really. I feel like I've wasted so much time because of my own...weaknesses," Scully mumbled into his chest hair.

"I feel like I wasted so much time not admitting I had any," Skinner replied quietly. "Scully...it's not a sin to have weaknesses or flaws. It's only a potential problem if you don't recognize them and try to integrate them into your life...deal with them and don't let them hurt you or anyone else in my opinion," he rumbled.

"We're not going to waste any more time," Scully stated, her voice decisive.

"No. And I think we're going to work this all out, Scully. I really do," he replied, his voice decisive as well.

"I do love you," Scully whispered.

Skinner smiled and kissed the top of her hair.

"I love you too," he answered, letting his breath out in a contented sigh.

Skinner felt Scully kiss his pectoral.

"Mmmm," he growled, the low sound coming from deep in his chest. He enjoyed the feel of her lips and warm breath on his skin. He cuddled her closer.

"I'm sorry I misunderstood you in the kitchen this afternoon. Sorry I jumped to conclusions and snapped at you," he murmured into her hair.

"It's all right. I don't think I was making much sense to be honest. I didn't know how I was feeling about you being so honest about our sleeping together. I...I had this moment of just being tired of everyone knowing my personal business. I guess it was paranoia about publicity. Things have been a bit dicey on this book tour for that paranoia reason too, I guess. I'm sorry. Being embarrassed about having sex with you was the last thing I was trying to convey," she replied quietly, stroking his chest. The she chuckled. "I guess all those years living with Mulder's brand of paranoia did have an effect on me," she added.

Skinner chuckled and kissed the top of her head. Then he grew more serious.

"I'm sorry about Mulder, Scully. I hope you can salvage your friendship," he murmured. "I should...I should have tried to stay in touch with you both more..." he added, letting his voice trail off. Christ...so many regrets. He really had to learn to let it all go and live again.

Scully nodded against his chest.

"I don't think he begrudges you disappearing, Walter. I think a lot of the time he wanted to do that himself afterwards. As for Mulder and me? I think there's hope. He's a good man...he's strong and he'll get over the fact that we're not lovers any longer. We've been in touch. I sense he's, well...trying to reestablish where we were before we let sex enter the picture. You know he's still keeping his fingers in the X-Files...after a fashion." she replied.

"Really? How?" Skinner asked, looking down at her head. She tilted her head so she could look up at him.

"He got a lot of the reconstructed files released to him through the Freedom of Information Act...and Freeh saw to it that they were intact. Believe it or not I think he and the Gunmen are going to pursue some of them when he gets back from England. They have a lot of contacts of course...there may even be more cases," she chuckled a little. "He's making noises that he wants me to act as a consultant," she added.

Skinner heard it in her voice...she was considering it. He didn't think it was a bad development really. After all...she and Mulder had needed each other on one level...that intellectual sharing in friendship over the files had meant a lot to them. They played well off each other that way. Skinner felt they needed that give and take to keep themselves sharp...to alleviate boredom to some extent. So, he didn't have a problem with them working together. He smiled to himself. Obviously he thought Scully was also fishing for whether he'd object to the idea. That made him feel on top of the world...it meant she truly did consider them a couple now.

"Oh that is rich. God...I knew he was a geek at heart," Skinner chuckled as well. "I think that's fine too if you'd want to consult for them. I would imagine Frohike wouldn't mind that at all either," he teased her.

She snorted a little and nodded.

"Oh I'm sure you're right there," she replied. He heard the relief in her voice too and smiled.

"Frohike has taste," he murmured.

"I did get an e-mail from Mulder. He said one of the things he was going to do in England was visit Borley rectory," Scully continued, giving Skinner a grin.

He raised an eyebrow.

"Borley Rectory?" he asked, puzzled.

"The most haunted house in England," she replied, laughing. "He's doing research on it for his class."

Skinner shook his head and laughed as well, wrapping her up in his arms.

"He sounds like he's doing ok," he replied.

"I think he'll be fine. I hope so anyway," she whispered, more subdued.

"Scully...I can't say I'm sorry this turned out the way it did...but I don't think you can beat yourself up over Mulder. If I'm going to turn over a new leaf in that area you need to do that too," Skinner suggested quietly.

"Where both of you are concerned," she whispered, cuddling closer to his side.

Skinner was about to answer when the yawn he'd been suppressing for the last few seconds finally overtook him.

"I'm sorry," he told her as soon as he could.

"You're tired...get some sleep. I know we have farmwork tomorrow," Scully answered.

"I take it that means you're going to help?" he answered, stroking her arm.

"Oh yes...wouldn't miss a little hard labor with you for the world," she answered, her voice growing soft as she started to fall asleep.

"Speaking of which..." he mumbled, settling sleepily against her. "Sorry about no hard labor tonight," he added, a trifle chagrined to think that she may have wanted to get physical with him and he'd completely overlooked the possibility. She stroked his chest.

"I didn't want to spoil you," she replied, yawning hugely herself.

He chuckled.

"Good night, Agent Scully," he replied.

"Good night, Mr. Skinner," she replied.

Skinner closed his eyes and in a few moments he drifted off to sleep.

xXx

Wednesday, June 19, 2001. A farm outside Lyons, Pennsylvania.

They woke just before the alarm went off. Years of early rising was apparently still ingrained in them both.

Skinner let Scully have the bathroom first for personal business and then he went in next and took his morning piss as well.

When he came back out she was holding her underwear.

"We should just shower together, it will save time," she said.

Skinner raised an eyebrow at her as she breezed past him and went into the bathroom. She'd pulled the Band-Aid off her arm and the cuts looked well scabbed over so he figured she must not mind getting them wet. He was tempted to swat her in the ass but he had a feeling if he did he'd be a very sorry son of a bitch. He smiled at the thought of her giving him hell. He always did like it when she stood up for herself and Mulder. Despite her distrust of him there was still a certain pleasure in seeing her strength of resolve. It brought her closer to him as well...made them kindred spirits because Skinner had that sense of resolve as well...he just wished he'd acted on it more often. But seeing her standing up for her convictions was comforting during their discontent with each other. He turned and entered the bathroom, a half smile on his lips.

As he stepped in front of the vanity mirror to examine his beard, he suddenly heard some muted noise below them. It sounded like Kevin, Nancy and the twins were up as well. He scratched at his balls as Scully was turning on the shower jet. He'd had half a mind to propose a little shower stall interlude this morning but from the sounds of things, life on the farm was well underway and taking the time for an early morning wake-up fuck probably wasn't in the cards.

"I'm going to trim my beard. I'll join you in a moment," he assured Scully.

"I have a feeling this is going to be a short shower," she replied, giving him an understanding smile.

He returned a somewhat sheepish grin.

"Great minds think alike," he quipped. "But yeah, we'd better get downstairs. There really is a lot to do first thing in the morning here," he replied. His stomach growled suddenly as if punctuating his words and Scully laughed.

"Not the least of which is eating breakfast," she observed.

He twitched a grin.

"And I need a cup of coffee," he replied.

"That goes for me too," Scully nodded, turning to enter the shower.

Skinner let his eyes wander down her exquisite back to her toned ass. She had the perfect sized butt for his hands he thought. Rounded just right for him to cup each cheek. He grinned. Later...definitely. He picked up his Wahl Cordless Beard Trimmer and made quick work of his grooming.

Scully turned towards him, soap in her hair as he slid the shower stall doors open and slipped gracefully inside.

"Hmm, smells good," he murmured, taking in the floral scent of her shampoo.

"It's Avon," she mumbled as she tried to avoid some lather dripping down into her eyes. Skinner reached forward and swiped it off her forehead. "Thank you," she added.

"Avon...as in 'Avon calling'?" he teased her as he reached for his shampoo.

"As in my friend, Ellen, sells it," Scully replied, chuckling as she stuck her head under the spray.

Skinner squirted his shampoo out into his palm and thought ironically for a second just how little he had to use compared to Scully. He gave a mental shrug and started to lather the fringe of hair around his head. He'd gotten used to his baldness years ago. It hadn't even been a blip on his radar for years.

"Your arm looks good," he remarked, squinting down at her as he massaged the shampoo into his hair.

"Oh, it's fine. I think I'll let it get some air now," she replied, reaching for her bath gel.

When he was done washing his hair he tapped Scully on the shoulder and they switched under the spray.

"Want me to wash your back for you?" he rumbled as she stood back, washing all over with her bath gel.

She glanced up at him and gave him a smile.

"Yes...thank you," she replied.

He switched with her again and took some of her Avon bath gel to use for the lathering up. In short order he had her back scrubbed clean. She returned the favor for him using his Lab Series for Men bath gel and they both rinsed completely off under the spray.

"I'll have to say...having a shower partner beats using a back brush," Skinner joked wryly as Scully prepared to exit the shower stall.

"You really know how to flatter a girl, Skinner," she laughed. He chuckled too as he followed her out of the stall.

Breakfast was presided over by Nancy once they were all assembled in the kitchen. She was preparing eggs, bacon, and toast. Kevin was busy pouring milk, orange juice and getting the coffee ready. Skinner was relieved to see the twins weren't showing any reaction when he and Scully came downstairs together dressed in their jeans and T-shirts and ready for work. Scully was carrying her dirty laundry. Skinner let her past him as he adjusted his glasses, a last minute afterthought rather than donning contacts this morning, and took in the scene.

"Good morning," Nancy addressed them both.

"Good morning," Skinner and Scully chorused and Scully ducked her head a little shyly. The twins and Kevin echoed Nancy's greeting. Skinner nodded in their direction and Scully smiled at them all.

"Breakfast will be ready in a few minutes," Nancy replied, taking in what Scully was carrying.

"If you wouldn't mind, Nancy...could I do this laundry? I'm a little concerned I packed a bit light. I'd be happy to do some additional for you too," Scully inquired of her hostess.

"Would you? That would be marvelous. I have the laundry basket with some dirty clothes in it on top of the washer. By all means...have at it," Nancy replied from the stove where she was seeing to the eggs and bacon.

"Thank you," Scully answered as she headed into the laundry room.

The twins were already seated, waiting to be served as Kevin carried the pot of coffee to the table.

"How's the arm?" Kevin asked her as Scully walked away. He set the pot down on a hot plate in the center of the table.

She glanced back at him and then smiled at Harlan.

"It's just fine. I'll consider it a wound gotten in battle from a worthy opponent. I've had worse, believe me," she replied, grinning a little.

Amanda piped up immediately, her voice surprised.

"Have you been wounded in battle before?"

The subject of either Scully or Skinner actually being wounded had never come up in previous conversation. Harlan, usually the one to ask brash questions gave his sister a shove.

"It's called 'wounded in the line of duty', Mandy. And maybe she doesn't want to talk about it," he advised, frowning at her.

Scully chuckled and nodded.

"At least not before my first cup of coffee," she retorted as she continued on into the laundry room.

"At least not over breakfast," Skinner rumbled his opinion as he went over to the stove.

"Yes, I agree," Nancy said, turning to look at the twins.

 

Harlan stuck his tongue out at Amanda. Amanda pulled a put upon face.

"Harlan has a crush on Agent Scully," she whispered loud enough for everyone to hear.

"I do not," Harlan blustered, turning red.

Kevin started to laugh.

"That's enough...Amanda...Harlan...settle down," Nancy admonished. She gave Kevin a significant look. He smirked at her but quieted as well. The twins looked contrite and went back to drinking some orange juice.

Skinner drew up beside her and took a piece of bacon off the paper towel where she had set the finished pieces aside.

"Can I help you with this?" he asked. Nancy slapped his hand.

"Don't you mean can I help myself?" she joked.

Skinner chuckled. Kevin and the twins were suddenly very noisy over whether Harlan could have a cup of coffee.

"Men," she huffed theatrically. "No...go sit down...you're only in the way," she suggested. "And by the way...I take it you slept well," she whispered, teasing him.

"Now you know a gentleman doesn't kiss and tell," he replied in a low voice.

Nancy turned around and corrected her son.

"No coffee, Harlan. For heaven's sake...caffeine is the last thing you need."


Kevin laughed and Amanda did too. Harlan gave them both a peeved look and went back to drinking some of his orange juice. Skinner went to sit down at the table.

"All right...egg orders," Nancy told the expectant group.

"Scrambled!" the twins chorused immediately.

She looked at Kevin.

"Sure...smash 'em," he replied, sipping some coffee.

"Walter?" she asked Skinner as he turned to see Scully coming out of the laundry room. Sounds of the washer filling could be heard as Skinner turned back to Nancy.

"Why rock the boat...scrambled," he replied, twitching a grin.

"Did I hear scrambled eggs?" Scully asked brightly.

"I take it that's one more order?" Nancy chuckled.

"Yes, please," Scully nodded and took her place next to Skinner at the table.

Nancy efficiently doled out the plates then sat down and poured herself a second cup of coffee as everyone dug in.

The meal progressed towards its conclusion and when they had all had their fill, Skinner and Scully insisted on cleaning up.

"Mom, can we go and play with Pam, Josh and Steve today?" Amanda asked as Nancy was finishing her coffee.

"After you take care of the chickens, I think that would be fine. I can drive you over on my way into town. I think Mary Sumner can probably drive you home," Nancy answered.

Go to Part 3
Back to story page