Part 3


Penn won their sixth straight game and all the players found themselves at the President's home again for another open house after the game.  Kevin met more alumni, and shook more hands than he cared to think about.  Slipping out the back door, he settled into one of the lawn chairs.

"Beautiful day today."

Kevin looked at the man walking towards him and knew instinctively it was another agent.  Almost every fundraiser that he had attended he had been approached by an agent.

"Yes, it was good weather to play in."

"You have quite an arm on you."  Kevin nodded, but turned his attention to fountain that was bubbling ten feet in front of him.  "Have you considered going pro?"

Kevin looked coolly towards the man.  "I'm sure you're well aware that if I want to continue playing college ball, which I do, I can not even consider any arrangements with you.  So if you wouldn't mind, please leave me alone."

The man laughed before turning and leaving.

"That was harsh."  This time it was one of the alumni who stood beside Kevin.  Searching his memory, Kevin thought the man had been introduced as Kenneth Grantham. 

"He was an agent."

Mr. Grantham looked towards the door the man had gone through.  "How did he get in?"

Kevin shrugged.  "They've been to almost all these things."  He waved his hand around, gesturing towards the fundraiser.

"Something should be done about that.   Have you told anyone."

Surprised, Kevin looked at Mr. Grantham.  "You mean they aren't invited?"

Kenneth snorted.  "Absolutely not.  Have you had problems elsewhere?"

"Yeah.  I've had scouts call.  My friends have had people approaching them, especially Chris.  Even had a couple R and P firms contact me."

"Kevin, something needs to be done.  Let me talk with President Marlowe."  Grantham patted him on the shoulder before leaving.

*****

Entering his room, Kevin dropped his backpack onto a chair and looked around.  Every freshman was required to stay in the dorms their first year of school, to allow them to meet other students.  The only exceptions were those locals who needed special dispensation. 

Chris was one of those special circumstances.  In the two months since school started, Kevin had learned a lot about his friend's situation.  He spent 2 hours each day riding a bus to and from school, making 3 bus changes along the way, but Chris said it was okay because he did his homework on the bus.  Before school, Chris worked at a grocery store by the campus where he stocked shelves for 4 hours before running to class.  When classes ended, he walked a mile to his other part time job, where he worked in a warehouse.

Kevin once asked him why he worked so hard since he was getting a free ride at school.  He quickly became ashamed of himself when he learned that Chris gave almost all of his money to him mom to help raise his 3 younger sisters.

Every new thing Kevin learned about his quirky friend made him admire him even more.

Looking around his unit again, he sighed.  The room that had been assigned to Kevin was ridiculous.  Housing placed him in the newest dorms building, known as 'The Towers' where the "rooms" were more along the lines of apartments.  His unit had a separate bedroom, its own kitchen, and an open area.  The bedroom also had two beds.  When Kevin met his fellow dorm mates, he discovered he was among a very few freshmen, if not the only one, in the building, and that almost all the other units had multiple occupants.

Yet one more way the school had "honored" him by his choosing to attend their school.

Grabbing his keys, he left.

*****

"Mr. Richardson.  What can I do for you, young man?"  Although she smiled, there was a certain crispness to woman's voice.

Kevin was amazed that he had been able to meet with Althea Bender, the head of the school's housing department, let alone so quickly.  Although he should not have been surprised since everyone associated with the school seemed to be giving him special priority.  "Well ma'am.  It's about my unit."

"Is there something wrong with it?"

"No ma'am.  It's a great unit.  And it's so... big." 

She continued to smile at him, although it was a little forced.  "So why are you here?  What else can we do for this year's "golden boy"?"

Kevin scratched at his chin, feeling oddly nervous.  "Well, I was wondering if I could move someone into the unit with me."

Her face became a little sterner, but she remained open for discussion.  "It depends -- mostly upon whether his, because we will not allow freshmen to room with members of the opposite sex unless they are married, current lodging is in the same price range.  If not, changes will need to be made so that his fee will be increased to meet the level of your lodging."

Frowning, Kevin thought through how he should approach her about what he had in mind.  "Well, ma'am, he's not currently living on campus."

"Well then, it's out of the question."

"What?  Why?"

"If he's not currently living on campus, then he must be a local with special circumstances, most likely he can't afford the rooming."

"Yes ma'am.  That would be the situation.  What I don't understand is, the room is already occupied and the spare bad is there.  Why can't he occupy it?"

"Because, young man."  Kevin inwardly cringed at the woman's stern tone.  "That is simply not allowed.  When you stay at a hotel, you are charged for one person.  When you have someone in the room with you, even though you share the same bed, you are charged for two occupants.  That's simply how it works."

"How about if I pay for his rooming.  Would it be allowed then?  I mean, he's a good guy.  He works so hard -- holding down two jobs and has to spend so much time riding busses," He realized that he was babbling, and brought his emotions back under control.  "I just worry about his schooling."

Ms. Bender studied the young man before her and considered what he was offering.  Slowly the ice he was feeling emanating from her melted.  Opening his files, she made a few considering noises while she read before closing the folder.  "Mr. Richardson.  I am about to do something that is highly irregular.  I am going to allow you to move your friend into your room.  No extra charge.  Is that acceptable to you?"

Kevin gave her his most enthusiastic smile.  "Thank you ma'am.  I really appreciate it.  What else do I need to do to get it all authorized and stuff?"

Picking up a pen and opening the folder once again, she nodded her head to Kevin.  "Don't you worry about that.  I'll get all the necessary paperwork done, along with the proper authorization.  If memory serves me correctly, there's a little used fund available that may just help this situation.   Now, if you don't mind, what's the young man's name?"

"His name is Chris Kirkpatrick."  She smiled a genuine smile for the first time of the meeting at the mention of the other boy's name.  "You know Chris?"

"Yes.  I'm acquainted with his family.  I'm pleased to see that he has someone looking out for him."

*****

Kevin studied his friend from across the student union.  Chris looked tired as he worked away on his schoolwork.  At least he wasn't as gaunt as he had been when school first started.  Each day Kevin would show up at his table with a tray laden with food, conveniently having taken too much for himself.  Chris had quickly caught onto Kevin's ruse, but after continued "ignorance" on Kevin's part, Chris gave up and accepted the offered food.

Weaving his way through the tables, Kevin finally set his full tray down before sitting himself.  "Hey Chris."

Chris hummed to him without lifting his head.

Kevin snorted, the pushed some food towards his friend.  "I was wondering something."

Holding up a hand towards Kevin in an obvious request to hold on a moment, Chris laughed before highlighting a paragraph in his book.  "I knew I read that somewhere.  Glad to know I wasn't going out of my mind."  Looking up towards Kevin.  "Okay, you were saying something?"

"Uh huh.  I was just wondering -- if given an opportunity, would you live on campus?"

Chris snorted.  "Like there's a snowball's chance in Hell that will ever happen."

"That's not an answer.  Would you?"

"Kevin, what are you up to?"

"Just answer the question."

"Well.  Yeah.  I guess so.  Never really thought about it since it's not an option."

"What if I told you, it's an option?"

"Kevin, what are you up to?"

This time Kevin laughed.  "Whoa, deja vu all over again."

"I know you Kevin.  You've got something up your sleeve.  Just tell me what it is."

"Well, you've seen my dorm room."  Chris nodded suspiciously.  "Well, I talked to the appropriate people, and if you want, you can move in with me."

"Shit."  Chris looked like he had been blindsided.  "Kevin, I can't afford it.  You know that."

"It's taken care of.  You won't have to pay a cent."

"I'm not a charity case, man.  I'm not going to allow you to pay for my housing."

Kevin smiled innocently.  "I'm not paying a cent for you to stay there either.  Heck, I'm not even paying for myself."  When Chris looked at him questioningly, he shrugged.  "It's all part of my scholarship."

"How many people did you have to blackmail?"

"Not a one.  Had a little chat with the nice lady in charge of housing, presented my argument, and laid on some charm."  Chris snorted. "Next thing you know, she was going that extra mile.  Something to do with finding a special funding option.  Don't know all the details, but you can check it out with her if you want.  Anyway, it's all covered.  That is if you're interested."

Chris blinked at him a couple of time, his mouth opening and closing like a fish.

"So.  You wanna move in with me?  I'd love to have you man."

"Um.  I'll need to talk with mom."  Chris took off his glasses and rubbed his tired eyes.  "But yeah.  I think so.  Thanks man."


Part 4