Part 4


Checking out the books he needed, Kevin settled at one of the empty tables in the library.  As he unloaded his pack, the table filled with girls, all more interested in him than their books.

As he tried to study, the girls' giggling kept distracting him.

"Hi.  My name is Mandy."  Kevin looked up at the girl sitting across from him, jutting her chest out to emphasize her D cups. 

"Uh, hi.  I'm Kevin."  He distinctively felt like he was the cream for Mandy's cat. 

"Oh, I know."  Her voice took on a deep husky tone.  Another of the girls started to giggle again, while a couple of others scowled.  "I was thinking, Kevin," She ran a finger seductively down his arm.  "You and me could find someplace quiet and get to know each other better."

Mandy was quite pleased as Kevin gathered his books together.  Once his bag was packed, he looked around the table, smiling to each girl, then settled his smile on Mandy.  "I'm sorry girls, I need to get going.  I have a major exam tomorrow."  Then he left.

*****

Kevin flipped through the pages of his book.  Out of all his classes, he decided that he disliked Eng 101 the most.  As far as he was concerned, it was just a repeat of everything he learned in high school, but he could see the importance of being certain that students knew how to write properly and do proper research.  He was also thankful that he had gotten Professor Bayley for his class.  Chris told him about the Professor he had, and the man seemed to be a complete loser.

Shaking his head, he tried to focus on "The Importance of Being Ernest" so that he could get his report finished before heading to practice.  It was mid-November.  They had two games of the regular season left and it looked like the team was actually going to be invited to a Bowl game this year. 

Ringing slowly worked its way into Kevin's conscious.  "Chris.  Phone's ringing."

"You answer it.  You're the one sitting right next to it."

Sighing, Kevin reached over and picked up the receiver, still concentrating on his book.  "'Lo?"

"Kevin?" 

Snapping to attention, "Yes ma'am.  Let me get Chris for you."  Kevin was on the verge of calling out to his roommate again.

"Kevin, dear.  It's you I wanted to talk to.  And what did I tell you about calling me ma'am."

Feeling his cheeks blush a little at the correction, "Sorry, Bev.  It's just instincts."

"You southern boys have such manners."  Kevin sat back in his chair, and smiled.  He always enjoyed talking to Chris' mother.  "Now, about why I called.  Chris informed me that you weren't heading home for Thanksgiving."

"No ma'am, I mean Bev.  My brother's are spending the Holidays with their wives' families, and Momma is gonna spend it with my uncle's family.  I figured I'd just stay here and maybe get caught up on some of my schoolwork."

"That's what Chris had said.  Well hon, I wanted to know if you'd like to join us for Thanksgiving dinner?"

Kevin sat in stunned silence.  He had hinted several times that he'd like to meet Chris' family, but his friend always seemed to find a way to redirect Kevin's intentions.  Personally, Kevin thought Chris was embarrassed by how his family lived.  Not ashamed, just embarrassed. 

"Kevin? You still there, hon?"

"Sorry Bev.  Yes, I would be honored to spend Thanksgiving dinner with your family.  But, you must allow me to bring something for dinner.  I don't think you're used to having an athlete eat at your table.  We tend to eat a little more than most."

Bev laughed a friendly laugh in his ear.  "Chris has told me about your lunches.  That he's never seen anyone put away food the way you do.  If you insist upon bringing food, we will be happy to accept."  Kevin smiled.  That had been easier than expected.  "Now, if you wouldn't mind, put that son of mine on the phone."

"Yes ma-Bev." 

*****

"You cock-sucking bastard."  Kevin looked questioningly at his very irritated friend.  "How could you accept going to dinner at my house without talking with me first?"

"Your momma asked, I accepted.  Simple as that."

"I can't believe you did that."

"Chris, why are you so upset?"

The other man flopped down on the sofa, doing a fine imitation of a pout.  "My mom works three jobs so that she can afford to raise my sisters while attending night school.  She works hard for what little we have.  She always has.  I know if you come to our home, she'll feel the need to pamper you.  I mean, she's a mother.  And you don't need it because everyone else takes care of you.  I just don't want..."

Kevin was stunned.  The reasons were entirely different than what he expected.  "Would it help if I told you that I'm bringing food with me?"  Chris didn't move much, but Kevin could tell that his mother hadn't told him about this.  "I told Bev that since I'm an athlete, I tend to eat considerably more than most people, and that I wouldn't feel right unless I brought something along with me.  Okay?  You need to understand, I just want to meet your family."

Chris scratched his shoulder before looking up.  "Well, okay."

*****

The final game of the season was a real battle, but Penn won, 28-24.  Kevin walked into the President's home hoping this would be the last open house he'd be required to attend for the year.  The house was filled with alumni who had attended the game, most likely because it would determine whether they'd be invited to a Bowl game.

After the customary meet and greet, Kevin wandered to the kitchen.

"Hello Maria.  How are the children doing?"

Maria beamed at Kevin and started talking animatedly as she cleaned the dishes.  "Oh, Joseph was in the school play.  He was a turkey.  He looked so handsome.  And my little Angelina -- she was in a piano recital.  You should have heard her Senõr Richardson.  Just like an angel."  She held a hand to her heart and sighed happily.

"Do you have pictures?"

She quickly wiped her hand and dashed to her purse.  Pulling out a packet, she sat next to Kevin and began going through the pictures, describing each one in detail.  When she reached the end, he patted her hand.  "You have a lovely family, Maria.  There's a lot there to be proud of."  Hearing noise from the other room, he looked back to her.  "You probably should get back to work.  I don't want to get you into trouble."

"It's always so nice when you come and talk with me.  You're the only one who does."

He smiled at her before kissing her on the cheek.  "I'll see you later."

Joining the crowd again, he was quickly ambushed by one of the alumni, who took his arm.  "Kevin.  Just the player I was looking for."

"Yes?"  Kevin raised a brow, waiting to see what happened next.

"You've worked so hard this year, and done so much for the team.  I was wondering if you would be interested in having a couple of court-side seats to the next 76ers-Bulls game?"

Sighing, Kevin looked to the man.  "It's a kind offer, sir, but no.  I spend too much time studying to even consider going to a game.  Also, gifts aren't allowed."

"No, you have what I'm offering confused.  I am unable to attend the game, and I thought you might enjoy going in my place."

"Thank you for the offer, but I need to turn it down."

The gentleman slapped Kevin's back, smiling.  "That's alright.  Maybe some other time."

*****

Busses ran only limited routes on Thanksgiving Day, so Kevin and Chris headed to Bev's home the night before, planning on staying for the two nights.  Standing on his toes, Chris tried to look into one of the sacks Kevin was holding.  "What all you got in there, man?"

Kevin looked down into the paper bag and started listing off various things.  "There's a ham, some frozen side dishes, uh -- rice and broccoli casserole, baked apples, sweet potato casserole, a couple loaves of bread and dinner rolls.  The store also had a turkey breast.  Figured it'd be good for, like, leftovers and such.  Also got some frozen peas, green beans and carrots.  I'm sure there's some other stuff in there, but I can't see them right off or remember."

Chris blinked, then blinked again.  "Kev, bud.  There's only me, mom and the three girls.  Well, and you.  It sounds like you got enough there to feed us for a week."  Suddenly his eyes became hard, his mouth tightening in controlled anger.  "We don't need handouts.  We're not your own little private pity party."

Kevin looked down to his friend, his own expressions softening into an understanding.  "I know.  I would never do that to you or your family.  It's just," He released a short laugh.  "As you pointed out, my elfish friend, I'll be there too.  And as you so like to comment on, I eat like a horse."

"Yeah, but not a stable full of them."

"I wanted to be sure not to put your family out.  And if there's leftovers," He shrugged.  "Then there'sleftovers."

Relaxing, Chris looked suspiciously at his friend.  "You are one sneaky bastard, you know that, right?"

"Uh huh."

*****

"Chris, is that you?"  Chris opened the front door to the apartment over the drugstore, leading Kevin into the small apartment.

"Yeah mom.  Kevin's with me."

At the mention of Kevin's name, they heard a squeal from another room that grew louder as the girl ran for the entryway.

"Kevin.  Let me introduce you to my sister, Kate."  He leaned over and whispered loudly.  "Be prepared, hormonal teenager."

Chris was instantly hit.  "I can't believe you just said that to him."  Turning her attention to Kevin, she smiled a shy smile.  "It's nice to meet you."

Placing the bags of groceries onto the floor, he leaned down and placed a kiss on her cheek.  "The pleasure is all mine."

By the time he was standing straight, she was running off.  "Mom.  Mom.  He kissed me."

Rolling his eyes, Chris shrugged.  "Sisters.  Can't live with them.  Can't shoot them."

"Christopher Kirkpatrick.  You did not just say that."  Kevin smiled when he saw the woman who was chastising his friend.  Wiping her hands on the front of her t-shirt, she held one out to him.  "You must be Kevin.  It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

"Pleasure's all mine, Bev." 

"Good, you remembered."  Seeing all the bags sitting on the floor, her eyes opened wide.  "Kevin.  I thought you were going to just bring a couple of side dishes or something.  Not bring the whole store."

Blushing slightly, he glared when Chris began to snicker.  "He's a growing boy, mom.  Eats like a horse too.  We'll be lucky if the structure is still standing when we leave."

Kevin ignored his friend as he picked up the various bags.  "Bev, why don't you show me the way to the kitchen so I can put this stuff away."

*****

The boys lay in sleeping bags on the family room floor, talking quietly.  "I like your family.  Kinda reminds me of home, except I'm the youngest of my family, and my siblings are all boys.  But still.  The atmosphere was similar.  You got a lot of love here."

Chris smiled brightly.  "Yeah.  They're the best.  They're the reason why I work so hard at school.  I'm gonna make something of myself and take care of them.  Buy mom an actual house where she never has to worry about where the next rent check is going to come from.  Make sure all the girls have clothing.  You know."

"Yeah.  I know.  It's just a shame you're giving up some of your dreams."

He couldn't really see it, but Kevin knew his friend shrugged.  "In the end, it's worth it."

"I still think you should check out the drama society at school, or maybe think about minoring in drama.  At least that way you could have both worlds."

After a moment of silence, Chris let out a heavy sigh.  "I just don't have time."

Kevin wished there was something he could do to help.


Part 5