Interlude


Philadelphia Sentinel
January 8, 1993
Section C, Page 1


Richardson says no to NFL

Kevin Richardson, quarterback for the Pennsylvania Quakers, elected to withdraw from the NFL draft after suffering a season ending injury in the Quakers' game against Penn State.

Mr. Richardson, who suffered from a dislocated shoulder injury, claimed, "I feel it would be wrong to place myself in the draft when my injury could interfere with my ability to play to expectations.  It would be like selling an untested bill of goods.  It would be wrong."

Richardson was expected to be the number one draft pick.


NBA Showtime on NBC
Halftime Report
January 10, 1993



Bob Costas:  Now in other sporting news.  What does everyone think of Kevin Richardson pulling out of the draft?

Bill Walton:  I have to admit; I was stunned with the news.  I mean, who ever hears of a college student willingly giving up millions because of an injury?  Especially if the teams are willing to pay.

Bob Costas:  For those viewers who are unfamiliar with who Kevin Richardson is..."

Bill Walton:  Where have you been?  He's the biggest news story of the week."

Bob Costas:  Kevin has been the quarterback for the University of Pennsylvania football team for the last four years, moving the Quakers from a mediocre team to the nationally ranked number one team.  With only one game left of the regular season, Kevin severely injured his throwing arm.

Matt Guokas:  From what I had heard, the Patriots, Seahawks and Cardinals were all vying for the quarterback.  In my mind, this should make Drew Bledsoe of Washington State the new number one draft pick.

Bob Costas:  I find it fascinating that Kevin made the choice he made.

Bill Walton:  It's a career killer.  But I have to tell you, I admire the kid.  That took a lot of guts.

Bob Costas:  It will be interesting to see what he chooses to do now.


Part 10