Part 10


Kevin smirked at the TV as he hit the mute button.  "Hey Chris.  You hear that?  Bill Walton admires me."

"Yeah.  But then again, Walton is a crazy mother-fucker, so what does that really say?"

Laughing, Kevin laid his head back onto the sofa.  "That I'm admired by a crazy man?"

Chris stuck his head out from the kitchen area, pointing a knife in Kevin's direction.  "Exactly.  When did the girls say they would be home?"

Kevin's eyes drifted to the clock on the wall.  "Tim's flight was scheduled for noon.  Mom said she was taking your family out for lunch.  So that means..." Hearing the distinct sound of a key in a lock, "that they should be getting back about now."

Chris made a startled sound, then disappeared back into the kitchen.

Kevin closed his eyes and listened to the chatter of women entering the apartment.  Feeling the sofa cushion dip beside him, he smiled.  Emily, Chris' youngest sister, loved basketball, and always seemed drawn to it whenever a game was on.

"Who's winning?"  The eleven year old asked.

"Phoenix is.  It's halftime at the moment."

"How's Barkley playing?"

Kevin chuckled.  "It's one of his more animated games."

"I miss him."

"Yeah.  I do too."

"They mention you?"

"Um hum."

She poked him in his ribs, careful not to jostle his arm.  "Tell me -- what did they say?"

"Bill Walton admires him."  Chris yelled from the kitchen.

"Oooh."  Drawing the sound out.  "Um, he's a little out there, you know."  Kevin peeked an eye open and looked at the young lady next to him, who was watching him with earnest eyes.  Seeing him look at her, she started to laugh.  He lifted his good arm, and she snuggled in next to him to watch the second half.

"You putting the moves on my sister, Richardson?"  Chris walked from the kitchen, a little flour on his cheek.

"Yup.  I'm a man of good taste."  Emily giggled and cuddled closer.

*****

"Kevin, I worry about you."

Kevin stared up at his mom as she paced in front of him.  "Mom, I'll be alright.  Out of the five classes, I have Chris in three of them.  The other two won't be a problem.  Chris has already sought out the various professors, figured out where the classes are, and he'll be able to help."

"But your injury..."

"Is getting better."  Kevin rubbed at his shoulder gently, the cast having been taken off a few days earlier.  "It'll heal.  The doc said it looked good, and time would tell just how much use I have of it."

"But Kevin, honey..."

Kevin smiled at his mom.  "Mom, I love you, and I've been grateful for all that you've done for me.  But it's time for you to go home.  I'm not the only one who might need you."

Ann sighed, sitting down on the bed next to Kevin.  "I know.  It's just hard."  She smiled weakly at him.  "At least Bev is here to help."  Kevin knew she was slightly jealous that Kevin had practically moved in with Bev since the mayhem had started.

"Yeah, she is.  And in a couple of weeks I'll be old news and everyone will stop hanging around the apartment.  Chris and I will be able to move back."  He chuckled, knowing he was probably being overly optimistic.  "And I can start living the life of a normal student."

Smiling, Ann patted Kevin's knee.  "I hope so."

*****

"Hey, does this mean I'm your boyfriend?"  Chris stopped walking, his face scrunching in thought.  "No, that's not what I meant.  What I meant to say was, does this mean you're my girlfriend?"

"Freak."

"No, really."  Chris jogged to catch up with Kevin, who was walking briskly.  "Look at it.  I'm carrying your books for you to class.  That'd make you my girlfriend."

Kevin snorted.

"That mean no?"

"I think Leslee might object."  Chris stopped again.

"Oh.  Good point.  You're not my girlfriend.  Um, don't tell her I suggested this, okay?"

"You, my good friend, are demented."

Chris laughed.  "All part of the charm, man."

*****

Kevin rubbed at his eyes trying to relieve some of the tension.  He thought that pulling himself from the draft would stop the agents and scouts -- he was wrong.  Somehow his medical reports were leaked and everyone knew his arm was almost as good as new.  To the world, that meant he could play football. 

Jeff took him out to throw the ball around a little, just to see.  Yes he could still throw, but he didn't have quite the distance he had before, or the accuracy.  Most of all, it hurt like hell to throw.  And, if he were honest with himself, he really didn't feel like doing it any more. 

Returning his attention to the person on the other end of the phone, "I'm sorry Mrs. Murell.  I really didn't think you'd be dealing with all this anymore."  The secretary the school had provided to handle all of Kevin's contacts had called to find out what he wanted her to do with them.  "Tell them that despite all the rumors, I will not be part of the draft."

"Alright Kevin.  Don't you worry, I'll take care of everything."

"Thank you Mrs. Murell.  I don't know what I'd do without you."

A soft chuckle caressed his ears.  "You are more than welcome, young man.  Just let me know if there anything else I can do to help.  I hate to see you being put through all this."

"You're not the only one."  The pain behind his eyes seemed to be finally diminishing.  "I just wish I knew what to do to make them stop."

"Spend time with your friends.  Enjoy your final months of school.  Let me worry about the vultures."

Kevin smiled as he hung up his phone.  That woman was truly a gem.

*****

"How'd you do on that test today?"  Chris collapsed on the sofa next to Kevin, stealing the remote from his friend.  Kevin watched as Chris flipped from channel to channel.

"You do know I was actually watching something, right?"

Chris waved a hand towards him, dismissing his complaint.  "Yeah, but it was boring.  There's got to be something good on.  I mean -- we spent the last 3 days doing nothing but studying for that damn test.  It's time to party."  Kevin looked at him curiously. "Or, you know, something."

"I just want to relax."

"At least we're finally back home.  My sisters were seriously getting on my nerves."

"Huh, I thought they were kinda fun."

Chris snorted.  "You just liked mom's home cooking."

"That didn't hurt."  Kevin chuckled sleepily.

*****

Kevin stretched his arms above his head easing the tightness from his shoulders.  Readjusting his baseball cap, he settled more comfortably onto the half wall across from the entrance to the drama building.  The weather was finally turning nice and he was enjoying just sitting there and soaking it in.

"Kevin?"  He hadn't realized that he had closed his eyes, his face tilted upward, but hearing his name brought him back to alertness.  Opening his eyes, he was startled by who was standing before him.

"Um, Ms. Robinson, right?"  She blinked then smiled, obviously pleased that he remembered her name.

"You're a hard man to get in contact with."

"Hmm?"

"I've been trying to reach you for about two weeks, but the pit bull the school's supplied you is very good at stopping all contact."

Kevin smiled fondly, "Yeah.  Mrs. Murell probably deserves more than the school pays her.  She's been my lifesaver these last two years."  He looked at her skeptically.  "So you came looking for me?"

"Yes.  I had hoped that if I came to the drama area, I would run across you.  My lucky day."

He quirked a brow to her.  "And why would you be looking for me?"

"Come on Kevin."  She looked at him skeptically.  "I heard you're not playing football anymore.  Did you really think I wouldn't come looking for you?"

"Yes ma'am.  It never occurred to me."  Now he looked at her skeptically.  "I didn't think you watched sports."

She laughed.  "I don't.  But when I see someone I want, I keep an eye on him.  And you, Kevin Richardson, I want."

Kevin could see over her shoulder that Chris was exiting the building.  Raising his hand, he got his friend's attention.  Returning his attention to her, "What exactly is it that you want me for?"

"I picture you modeling on the catwalk, for photo shoots, fashion shows.  Kevin, the possibilities are endless."

"I just don't see why.  I'm just an ex-football player.  A dumb jock."

Chris chose this moment to join then, and started laughing.  "Shit man, you're the smartest man I know." 

"That's because I've had four years to brainwash you.  Fatima Robinson, Chris Kirkpatrick.  He's my best friend."  They shook each other's hands.  "Ms Robinson is trying to convince me to become a model.  Personally, I don't see why."

Chris chuckled, but didn't say anything.  Fatima stepped closer, placing a hand on Kevin's arm.  "Kevin.  I've been in the business for a long time and have seen many hopeful models come and go.  Few have what it takes to truly make it.  When I look at you, I see *it*.  Please think about it and give me a call."  She pulled out another card, and handed it to him.  Patting him on the cheek.  "Call me."

As the majestic black woman walked away, Chris pulled the card from Kevin's hand. 

"Fatima Robinson.  Executive Agent.  The Firm Modeling Agency.  Isn't The Firm like the top modeling agency in the country?"  He handed the card back.

"I don't know.  I'm just a jock working towards a business degree."

*****

Kevin studied the card for the tenth time in two days.  Since Fatima had approached him, he did some research on modeling.  Not something he had ever considered, but it sounded like it might be interesting.  After talking with Chris and his momma about it, he decided he might actually try it, figuring that if it didn't go as expected, he at least had a solid business degree.

"You call her yet?"  Chris walked out of his bedroom, buttoning up his shirt.

"Not yet."

"Changing your mind?"

Kevin rubbed his forehead.  "Not really.  It's just something so different.  I've always had my life planned out.  Get scholarship.  Go to top college and get a business degree.  Play pro for some years and invest my money well.  Never expected to eliminate that step, you know?  And modeling definitely never came into the picture.  I think Tim is still laughing at the idea."

Chris chuckled.  "Your brother is a dork."

Kevin watched as Chris walked out the door for work before looking back to the card.  Steeling himself, he dialed the number.  "Hello.  Can I speak to Ms. Robinson please?  This is Kevin Richardson."

*****

The library was full of students studying for finals.  Kevin found a table on the third floor at the back of the stacks to settle in and study Japanese.  He and Chris had decided in their sophomore year that the east would be the force of the future, and that if they were to be successful in business, they should learn Japanese.  Chris was a natural in the language; Kevin really wished he'd chosen French.

Looking at his books, he began to mutter a phrase.

"You have that all wrong.  Your genders don't match."

Kevin turned his head and saw a young woman sitting at the table behind him.  "Excuse me?"  She smiled at him and got up.  Pointing down at his books she began to explain about what she meant.  "You're pretty good at this."

The young woman smiled.  "My degree is in East Asian Studies.  I'm in my third year of the language.  Not that that really matters.  I've always been a natural at languages.  I grew up in Germany, lived in France and Italy.  I'm fluent in them all"  She held out her hand.  "My name is Kristin."

Kevin carefully took her hand.  "Kevin."

"Nice to meet you Kevin.  What's your degree in?"

"Business."

"Business?  Then why are you taking Japanese?"

"Required to have two years of a foreign language.  Seemed like a good one to take."

"I can see that.  Is there anything else you might need help on?"

"Uh, I hope not."  His quirked eyebrow gave the lie to that remark..

Chuckling, she pushed her chair back and motioned to the table behind him.  "Well, Kevin.  I'll just be at the table behind you.  If you need any more help, feel free to ask."

"Thanks Kristin.  I'll keep that in mind."

*****

"So, she runs out of the room screaming," Kristin was waving her arms around above her head, "that Tom Cruise is out to get her."

Kevin wiped the tears from his eyes, still laughing.  "What did she say when she found out it really was Tom Cruise?"

"Oh, talk about being embarrassed.  She must have left 15 messages for him.  We were positive that he'd be requesting a restraining order on her."

Still chuckling, Kevin sipped at his coffee, studying the girl across from him.  "Why exactly did you transfer from Brown?  I was of the opinion that they had an excellent program there."

"My Nanna couldn't take care of herself anymore.  Dad's a lifer in the Navy, so he and mom can't do anything but stop here once or twice a year.  I didn't want Nanna to spend her dying days alone.  Penn isn't such a bad school either."  She winked at Kevin.

"Aren't you Kevin Richardson?"  A young girl, probably still in high school stood beside their table.  Kevin smiled at her.

"Yes."  Looking over, he was surprised to see a confused expression on Kristin's face.

"Oh man.  This is so cool.  My dad said you were crazy for what you did.  Then again, I think he had hopes that Seattle would sign you since that's where we're from, and all.  Man, I can't believe I'm meeting you."  She dropped her backpack to the ground, rummaging through it.  Pulling out a piece of paper and a pen, she shoved them at Kevin.  "Can I get your autograph?  Oh, can I have two?  One to Melanie, and one for my dad, John."

Kevin blushed, eyeing Kristin, but took the offered objects.  "Sure.  Although I don't think there's much value to them."

"Who said anything about value?  This is something I want.  Wish I had a camera with me.  Melissa won't believe me when I tell her I actually met you."

Kevin signed the paper in two different places before handing the items back to the young lady.  "Isn't it late for you to be out?  It's a school night."

The girl actually blushed.  "I was on a study date.  I'm heading home now."

"Well.  We won't keep you."

The girl looked down at the paper and started to giggle.  "This is so cool.  Thanks Kevin."

Kristin watched the girl walk off baffled by the past five minutes.  "What was that about?"

Kevin ducked his head trying to hide his blush.  "I played for the school's football team."

"So?"

He laughed.  "I wish more people thought like you."

*****

Kevin sat in his cap and gown as the school's president spoke.  Chris sat several rows in front of him, and he could see the smaller man was fidgeting in his seat.  Chris never was one to sit still for very long.

"How much longer is she going to be?" 

Kevin smiled at the girl sitting next to him before checking his watch.  "It's only been, oh, 40 minutes.  I'd guess she'll be done soon."

"God, I hope so.  I have parties to get too."

Kevin was drifting, thinking about Kristin, when the names started to be called.  Snapping back to attention, he watched as the second row stood to follow the first.  Students crossed the stage and accepted their diploma.  Chris' name was called.  Kevin put his fingers to his lips and whistled as loud as he could, noticing that his friend had gotten some cheers from others in both the class and in the audience.

The row in front of his stood and Kevin waited for the name to be said that would signal his row to follow along.  As he stood, he could feel his knees shaking slightly and realized he was actually more nervous now about tripping and making a fool of himself than he ever felt for one of his games.

Hearing his name called, he walked forward concentrating on the task of making it to the president before his legs gave out.  Shaking her hand, he took his diploma, said thank you, and headed off the stage.  Sitting down, all he could think was, "I made it."

"Damn, you're popular."

"What?"

"The crowd went wild when your name was announced."

Kevin looked at, what was her name? Oh right, Laura.  "Um, yeah.  Didn't think the whole football team would come."

Laura started laughing.  "Don't forget all the cheerleaders.  Oh, and the fan club."

Finally relaxing, Kevin joined her.  "I'm just glad it over."

She held her hand up to be slapped.  "Damn straight.


Interlude 2