Author:   Beth
Rating:   R
Summary:   An alternate version of the 'The Power of Three'.

Disclaimer:   Fan fiction based on the WB television series Angel.  The characters of Angel, Cordelia, and Doyle are the property of Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy and/or 20th Century Fox.  We don't own them.  But we treat them with love and respect, always.

The song used in this fic is the Eurythmics' I Saved the World Today.






Monday finds you like a bomb
That's been left ticking there too long
You're bleeding


"Are you sure you want to do this?" Angel's voice was soft as he asked this of Cordelia.  She nodded, eyes closed.  They had to try this spell, whatever the consequences might be.  Getting Doyle back was the only thing that needed to be done, it didn't matter how it was accomplished.  Angel cleared his throat, preparing himself.  Deep in his heart he knew what they were doing was right, just as Cordelia.  They were going to rescue the Irishman.

Or die trying.

Hopefully it wouldn't come down to that, but if it did they wouldn't be above trying that method.  They wouldn't be above trying anything.  Both the vampire and mortal needed the half-demon back.  Their lives had this huge, aching hole in it.  Nothing they did filled it, all they could do was think of what could have been.  What would have been different, if only they had known..  Hindsight was an incredible thing.  It changed the way you saw everything, really.

The slightest hints of feeling towards someone, or something you could have done differently.  One thought wouldn't even leave you alone before another started.  It was a torture Angel knew well.  He was always thinking of what he could have done differently.  Despite all his efforts to help, they nowhere near outweighed what he felt when he lost someone.  Doyle's death was the hardest.  The Irishman had appeared, and just as suddenly became a major part of the vampire's life.  He needed the sharp wit, the accent that reminded him of home so long ago.  The loyal friend he found in the other man.  He was lost without all of this.  So lost he had no idea what way was up.  How could he?  This was the worst thing he had had to go through, worse still considering that Doyle had decked him in order to save the others.  Angel should have seen it coming, he was just concentrating too much on the task at hand.  On preparing himself for dying.  He hadn't seen the resolve grace the half-demon's face or his deep blue eyes.  He hadn't known what was going to happen until the last words were spoken.  By that point it was too late.

He only got one second before he was on the ground and Doyle was saying his good-byes to Cordelia.  He had rushed up the ladder, all intents on knocking the half-demon to the ground and jumping himself.  Doyle still had so much of his life to live.  Angel had been around for 244 years, it was long enough.  But Doyle hadn't let him.  He had jumped over to the lamp and killed himself in the process of becoming a hero.  A legend in the eyes of those demons he saved.  An incredible loss in the hearts of those who loved him.

Angel cast a quick glance over at Cordelia.  She was utterly quiet, face lacking any emotion.  She looked up at him, eyes that seemed ancient and dead meeting his own for a brief time.  He smiled sadly at her and she returned the action.  The smile didn't reach either of their eyes though.  It never had since that terrible night.  It never would again.

"Is it time?" Cordelia asked him, looking back down at the book near her hands.

He nodded.  "It's time.  Are you s--"

"I am.  Aren't you?  We have to do this, Angel.  We can't go on without him.  If we don't get him back... I-I can't continue on.  Each day's hell without him, and they keep getting worse.  I can't anymore.  This isn't living.  This isn't anything near that.  It's the furthest thing from it, really.  We need Doyle back, and this is the only way we can get it.  Believe me we've tried everything else.  Separately or together.  What's left?"

"Nothing.  Nothing at all."

"So let's go.  Start speaking or whatever.  What are we supposed to do, anyhow?" Cordelia asked, hands nervously picking at the material of her white dress.  Candles of all shapes, colours and scents filled the room.  Salt traced a circle around their stilled bodies.  They were kneeling on a roughly sketched out pentagram drawn onto the floor of Angel's apartment.  They would have tried this spell outside, but weren't sure as to how it was going to turn out, so opted for privacy.

Cordelia glanced at the items on the altar, knowing the use of each of them by heart.  Angel had taught her much in the ways of magic.  It had become second nature to them both now.  Especially since it was the only way of getting their friend back.  The Powers had given up on the cause, handing the visions off to her.  She didn't want them, but couldn't get rid of them either.  It wasn't just that they were non-refundable, it was also the only thing she had gotten from Doyle.  The only thing she had left of him.  Until now.  Until tonight, for they were getting him back.  If they didn't then both the vampire and mortal knew what was to come.  They'd either all be together in life or in death.  Whichever it was didn't really matter.

"Just recite this words after me.  I'll do the harder part.  The basic putting right herbs together and such."

She smiled her first real smile in three months to the day of Doyle's death.  "The real magic stuff, right?"

Angel shook his head.  "Magic can be as simple or as complicated as you want.  It all depends on you.  The only thing that truly matters is your belief in the words you're saying.  The desire for what you want to be achieved by this to become real."

"Oh that isn't going to be hard.  Believe me.  That's a piece of cake."  Angel nodded.  It would be easy on both their parts.  They wanted Doyle back more than anything.  There was no doubt in their minds that the spell would accomplish this.  They just had to concentrate on the words they were speaking, and on Doyle.  Visualize the half-demon in their minds.

"It's time."  Angel murmured, reaching out and grabbing Cordy's hands in his own.  Holding them tightly he began to chant.  She followed soon after.  Their voices rose in volume, blending together perfectly as they spoke.  The ancient language rolled easily off of both their tongues, neither stumbling over the phrases which were dead long before either was born.

Cordelia closed her eyes, a soft moan falling from her lips.  Something was happening.  Something was going wrong?  How would she know if it was going right or wrong?  She wasn't a practicer of magic, other than this.  Angel was.  Yet somehow she knew without a doubt that things weren't going like they should.  Something somewhere was off.

The air in the room was getting heavier, it becoming hard to breathe.  Power strummed through her veins.  She felt invincible and at the same time so human.  She visualized Doyle clearly in her mind.  From the dark hair to the brilliant eyes to the exact outfit he was wearing that night.

His voice ran though her head, crystal clear.  'The good fight, yeah?  Y'never know 'til ya been tested.  I get tha' now.' The feel of his lips against her own gave Cordelia the strength she needed.  Part of her was shouting to stop, that this was going horridly wrong.  That she was fooling with something she should never touch.  But, she wasn't going to let the chance to get the Irishman back slip through her fingers.

"Wha...?"

"It's working!" Relief was in Angel's voice.  The brunette offered herself enough time to open her eyes briefly and look at him.  He was paler than she had ever seen, a thin line of sweat on his forehead.  Her breathing became shallower, short gasps for the air she needed in her lungs.  The words never wavered.  The concentration grew.

Wind started howling around the inside of the room and out, threatening to blow out the candles.  It did too, all except for the ones in the circle.  They were plunged into near darkness.  The words never stopped.  The two went on, despite all that was attempting to sidetrack them.  Nothing would stop them in this task, they were too determined.

"Angel I..." Cordelia stumbled over the words and didn't bother finishing it.  It was too hard to think.  He probably knew what she was trying to say anyhow.  It didn't matter otherwise, it was nearly impossible to talk.  So she didn't anymore.  The words on her part stopped, Angel slowly keeping it up on his side.  The room started to spin, but she clung to consciousness.  The candlelight was starting to shimmer, a prickling staring in the air around her.

"I know, Cordy.  Just keep going.  We have..." Angel's voice faded, then disappeared.  Everything suddenly turned black.







Some days there's nothing left to learn
From the point of no return
You're leaving


When Cordelia opened her eyes she didn't know if she was awake or dreaming.  Alive or dead.  She didn't know if the past months had been real or the result of an overactive imagination.  After all, nothing they had tried before had worked.  It had been attempt after failed attempt, enough to kill ones hope completely.

Perhaps it was luckily enough the mortal and vampire had give up on hope long ago.  They had clutched at straws in the beginning, only to have them break in two.  They had clung to any illusion or delusion possible, only to have it fade away soon after.  Had been to hell and back, almost literally, to save the fallen.  Nothing had worked.  Nothing even came close.  They had left all thoughts of ever winning this battle in the dust.  It wasn't possible they'd make it after all.  Neither of them knew how they managed to get up each day.  It was too hard.

Whatever it was, the brunette found she didn't care.  Because it worked this time.  With tears streaming down her face Cordelia looked into the eyes she loved.  The face she dreamed of.  But it couldn't be... After so much there was no way.  The world didn't let things like that happen.  She'd seen that fact over and over again, from the Scourge to the visions which were now her curse.  You couldn't come back from where she'd been with exactly what you wanted.  She'd doubted she'd even come back at all.

It was the same with Angel.  His years had finally caught up with him after Doyle's death.  He'd been to the breaking point several times in his long life, it was really expected considering how many years he'd had.  None of them compared to this.  This was a death that hadn't needed to be.  A sacrifice that no one had asked for.  The half-demon had done such a heroic thing needlessly.  Angel had been ready to die, ready to give up his life so that others may go on.  So that his friends would go on.  He had done it so that he wouldn't have to see innocents and those he loved die.  Yet, he had witnessed one he loved die.  He had watched Doyle disappear with a scream in a blinding flash of light.  He had watched his world slowly fall apart from that moment on.  He and Cordelia had clung to one another in the despair, trying to find point where it would start to fade.  That point had never come.  Her sobbing body had been cradled in his arms night after night, the vampire letting himself cry for the true hero as well.  No comfort found.

And that was how it went, day after day, week after week, month after month.  They barely continued on, it certainly not being considered living.  The attempts at saving people weren't really cared about.  What was the point?  You lost when it came to life, no matter who you were.  You lost over and over again, even if you were the nicest person in the world.  Yet those who were bastards never seemed to.  That was just how the world worked, wasn't it?  The lesson had finally sunken into Angel's mind then, he not really seeing a point to helping.  But he did so anyhow.  Doyle had died so that he would keep helping the world.  Fighting for good.

He didn't even know where to start anymore.  he took the few cases that came in without a word, not really caring about the outcome.  Why should he?  No matter what he did someone got hurt, didn't they?  Cordelia was going through the same thing herself, wondering what the point of continuing on was.  Then the visions had come.  So she had seen that she had to keep up this charade of living.  All the while they had hunted through every and any dusty old book the vampire had collected, looking for the answer to their prayers.

Both of them had thought of just leaving, heading to anywhere as they tried to forget.  In their hearts they knew it would never happen, so it wasn't even bothered with.  They just trudged on, not knowing of any other solution.  No matter how much it felt like they were dead and gone.  Or how much they just wanted it to be that way.  This had been the only thing left to try before giving up completely.  This had been their final, laugh in the faces of the Fates attempt.  Neither of them had really expected it to work, despite the faint feeling of hope that had wrapped itself around them.

It had worked though.  Against everything it had worked.  They were slowly crawling back from the edge, finding that there now truly was a reason to go on.  Providing what their eyes were showing was real.







Hey hey I saved the world today
Everybody's happy now
The bad things gone away



"Doyle?" The question was no more then a breath, it was so faint.  Disbelief and wariness colored her tone.  She had been though enough hardships to not take what she saw for the truth.  Life had taught her that lesson well, pounding it into her head over and over again.  Life, it seemed, had given her this gift.  Or had it?  Were her eyes just deceiving her?  Showing her what she wanted most of all?

"Princess..."  Doyle crouched down beside her, tears falling from his own eyes as well.  He looked like he wanted to reach out and grab her, but didn't.  He seemed pleased to just stare at her shocked face.  She couldn't say she minded, especially since she was doing the exact same thing.  She now noticed Angel for the first time, standing slightly back from them just watching.  The largest grin Cordelia had ever seen split his face.  He looked as though he would never stop smiling, a change for the brooding vampire.  She let herself smile slightly.  It seemed his face didn't crack when he actually was happy.  He could actually be happy, which was the most amazing thing of all.  Who would have known it was possible.  She had to say she was surprised though, that he had let the Irishman go, considering they had gotten him back.  Maybe.  After all, Angel did love Doyle as much as she did.  That had been easy to tell after his sacrifice.  His death.  They hadn't expected to get him back at all, so all bets were off, really.

"It's not you..." She murmured, struggling to get up from her prone spot on the floor.  Doyle felt real enough, that was for sure.  But not enough proof.  Would anything ever be?  Probably not.  It was just too difficult to accept that the man she loved and had lost was standing in front of her now.  From the expression on Angel's face he certainly believed it.  Cordy couldn't' deny what she had felt during the casting of the spell.  It had been unlike anything before, and was impossible to put into words.  Maybe it had worked after all.  But she wouldn't let herself think that, get hurt like that again.  Dealing with his death once was hard enough.  Thinking she had gotten him back and losing him for time number two was unthinkable.  So she wouldn't believe.  Not without solid, concrete proof and lots of it.

"Angel?" Attention was now turned to the vampire.  He came over to where they were seated, realizing her confusion.  He had felt the same way, but surprisingly, believed what he saw in an incredibly short time.  He knew the reason, it was simple.  Doyle just had to be back.  He cared about the other man too much.  Losing him had been like a piece of the vampire had died as well.  In fact, he knew it was like that exactly.  He wasn't able to continue on without...

He didn't have to any longer.  Their spell had worked.  It had been incredible.  Amazingly unbelievable.  The second he had opened his eyes and saw Doyle laying beside him had been the happiest of his life.  He had just stared at the half demon in shock for a few moments, not trusting what he saw.  A hand had reached out, touching at ivory skin gently, like he had expected it to be a mirage which disappeared instantly.  The hand was shaking uncontrollably, along with the rest of his body.  At his touch, Doyle had awakened, looking around blearily, lost and confused.  A pang went though Angel at this sight.  The blue eyes had rested on his face for a second and the vampire didn't resist the urge to gather the slighter creature into his arms.  He was so thrilled to be able to have that warm body next to him, feel the other's flesh underneath his fingertips.  Breathe in the scent that was unique to the half-demon.

Angel hadn't even bothered to wipe away the tears which streamed down his face as he rocked his body back and forth.

"Angel, man?" Doyle had looked at him oddly.  Those blue eyes were never so breathtaking.  The voice never so sweet.

"Doyle... oh thank God.  I had prayed so long... we've tried so much.  It worked.  It finally worked."  The vampire had held the other's face in his hands, just staring at him.  Doyle had smiled the strangest smile.  Yet it had been perfect.

"Angel..."  The Irishman hadn't gotten a chance to finish his sentence, Cordelia stirring and awakening.  He cast a brief glance back at the vampire before rushing over to the mortal's side.  Angel hadn't even tried to stop him.  He had wanted to have the half-demon right beside him from now on, but Cordelia had needed to see him.  Needed to know that their spell had worked.  Angel had also been slightly worried as to what he would have done if Doyle had stayed that close for a minute longer.  He had wanted to kiss the other man's face and lips, never letting him go for fear of losing him once more.  The fear that this was all a dream still plagued him.  He knew deep down it wasn't, but his rational mind also questioned how it could be him.

The brunette shook her head before speaking, the words bringing the vampire back to the present.  "It just... it can't..." For once in her life Cordelia Chase was speechless, and for good reason.  She wanted to believe that it really was Doyle beside her, that she could touch the face and it wouldn't fade away.  Fade away like he had before -- in a flash of light and a horrifying scream.  But, what if she gave into that fantasy and it wasn't true?  He wasn't back?  What then?  That would destroy what little of her was left.  She sighed, burying her head in her hands.

Doyle smiled faintly, brushing the top of her head with his hand.  " It's me, 'Delia.  Now don'ya be all quiet on me now, Princess.  Say sumthin'.  Ya're makin' me think it ain't really you.  'Cos the Cordelia I know'd nev'r be quiet fer three seconds."  That wasn't entirely true, the half-demon remembered another time when she was quiet.  Right before he had died.  When he had kissed her and jumped.  Then she had just stood there, blinking, trying not to understand what was happening, her mind still processing it all for her.

She laughed in response to this comment, louder than needed.  It was a laugh on the brink of insanity and something else, a something he couldn't place.  Tears started to slip down her cheeks again as she reached for Doyle and he moved into her arms once more.  He kissed her forehead, resting his face against her own.  He couldn't believe it, but he was back.  His friends had found a way to bring him back.  Thank God.

Angel smiled at this, seeing how everyone was at peace for the first time in those incredibly long three months.  It had all worked itself out, with a little magikal help.  He had never felt more happy to still be alive after 244 years then now.  On impulse, the vampire reached out and put a hand on both of his friend's shoulders, liking the feel of having them both right there.  It was right, it felt right.  They had all come to accept that what they were seeing was fact.  This had been enough proof, anything would have been considering how desperate they were for Doyle back.

"I's true, isn't it?  I'm back?" The soft question was answered first by understanding smiles, then the half-demon found himself being pulled into a tight hug by both Cordelia and Angel.

"You're back."  Angel smiled at him, tears in his eyes.

"Had ta hear it."  Then an amused expression came onto his face.  "Angel, man... I didn't know ya cared..."

"You have no idea how much."  The vampire responded softly, not caring about keeping silent.  He had done that for months, and all it had gotten him was a broken heart.  Doyle's death without him ever knowing.  Now that he had the other back, he was going to make sure not to ever let something slip past him again.

"I think I do."  Doyle answered just as softly, eyes resting on Cordelia's face for a long moment.  "I missed ya two so bloody much."

"We know, Doyle... felt the exact same way, both of us.."  The vampire's hand was resting against Doyle's back now, idly rubbing it softly.  It felt nice.  So incredibly nice sandwiched between the two people he loved.  He couldn't think of any other place he'd rather be.  Especially after what he had been through.  He was never leaving, no matter what.

"Doyle?" Cordelia's voice dragged him out of his thoughts.  He brought his attention back to her, realizing that his gaze had been resting on the vampire for the past minutes.  Angel had that effect on him, whether he wanted it or not.  Cordy wasn't the only stiffener around.  But Angel was so dense at times, everything sailing over his fuzzy little head.  Chances were he had no clue as to how much the half-demon cared.  it had been obvious, at least on Doyle's part, when it came to Cordelia.  But Angel was a different matter.  He had tried not to let it show too horribly.  On occasion it came through despite this efforts.

"Wha' is i', Delia?" He asked finally, hoping nothing was wrong with her.

She grinned brightly at him.  "Nothing at all.  I just love being able to say your name and have you respond.  I love you being in my arms.  Hell,' A quiet laugh.  "I love you period."

Doyle kissed Cordelia softly on the lips.  "Believe me, th' feelin's mutual."

Angel went to rise, intent on giving them some time alone, but was stopped by Doyle.  The Irishman had caught his arm and was holding onto it tightly.  The vampire stared down at the two bodies on the floor, blinking.

"Don' go, man.  Stay here wit' me... wit' us."

"But..."

A rapid shake of his head.  "No buts.  I was away fr'm both o' ya fer too long.  No' any longer, got it?" The half-demon didn't know how fateful his words were.  Come dawn, none of them would ever be apart from one another in any way.

That was the all the vampire needed.  He pulled the Irishman to his feet and Cordy along with him.  At their confused looks he smiled slightly.

"Many more comfortable places than the floor to sleep.  We've all had a rough night, I think we could use some rest."  Doyle nodded quickly in agreement to this, only then noticing just how tired he was.

Before he knew it they were in Angel's bedroom, each sitting on the foot of the bed.  The half-demon fell backward onto the mattress with a sigh, eyes closing on their own.  He didn't move as he felt his shoes being pulled off.  Hands gently lifted him up and removed his jacket and shirt, leaving him in just his white undershirt and pants.  He opened his eyes briefly and smiled.

"Thanks."  A yawn.  "Ya know, Angel... if ya wanted ta get me inta bed, all ya had ta do was ask."

Laughter in response to his words, then someone spoke.  "I'll keep that in mind.  Now at least get under the covers."  Doyle snickered, Angel could be so much like a mother hen at times.  But he couldn't say he truly minded.  Cordelia pulled down the covers on one side of the bed and he reluctantly moved.

She slipped in beside him, curling her body up against his.  The vampire turned to go again, planning on sleeping on the couch despite what he wanted so badly.  Besides, if he went with his emotions right now, they'd have more to deal with than sleeping arrangements.  They'd have two dead bodies in a blood-soaked bed.  A monster on the loose.  So he'd go to the couch, it was safer.

"No way, Angel.  Get yer pretty arse back here."  Tired and just wanting to fall asleep, Doyle didn't care that he had complimented his friend aloud.  If need be, they would talk about it in the morning.  Angel didn't move for a few minutes, and Doyle wondered if his words had been a mistake.

Then he heard rather then saw, his pale eyes still closed tightly, the vampire climb into his own bed.  With a content sigh, the Irishman snaked an arm around Angel before falling asleep.  The vampire and mortal shared a glance, hands intertwining on Doyle's stomach.  The had won this battle.  They had gotten what they wanted more than anything.

Doyle.

"Night Cordy."  Angel whispered, careful not to wake the sleeping occupant of his bed.

"Night Angel."  She responded, closing her eyes.







Everybody's happy now
The good things here to stay
Please let it stay



Angel watched Doyle sleeping, shifting so that he had a better view.  He gently ran his hand along the Irishman's profile, careful not to disturb the sleeping man.  There was barely any moment from the other as he did this, the half-demon seeming to fall into an even deeper sleep, actually.  Angel couldn't believe he had returned.  He had hoped and prayed, willing to sacrifice anything for this.  And it had happened, in the most unusual way.  Here Doyle was... back in his life.  After a last attempt which seemed like it should have been a first. 

He couldn't stop the flash of worry which hit him.  What if when he opened his eyes in the morning Doyle was gone?  What if this whole thing was just some dream?  A torture and punishment for his time as Angelus?  He couldn't say he didn't deserve this.  But, this would have been the cruelest thing anyone could do.  He needed Doyle more than anything, having started to care for him so quickly.  Fallen in love so effortlessly.  And lost him just as easily.  In a bright flash of light and a heroic gesture the other man had been gone from his life.  Leaving so much pain behind.  It had hurt more than the vampire ever thought was possible.  How could he care that much?  He shouldn't love Doyle like he did.  He couldn't help it though, the half-demon made it so easy to fall in love with him, whether he meant to or not.  The only other time the vampire could remember caring about another man so much was with his Childe, Spike.  Even then, it had been Angelus who was in control, and it was just a strange, sick relationship.  Not as much about love, despite his really caring, than control. 

That was part of the reason why he hadn't said a word of his true feelings to Doyle.  He didn't know which part of him really cared for the other.  Was it the demon, just attracted to another of a similar kind?  Or was it every single part of him?  Besides, telling him how he felt would have just made things difficult and strained.  Yet he had been paying for staying silent ever since.  It was hard to tell which was better at times like this.

Cordelia rubbed his hand softly, as if she knew what he was thinking and was offering support.  Almost telling him it was all okay, or at least would be.  He smiled, trying not to brood any longer.  It was too much of a habit though.  He couldn't help but think that anything remotely good in his life would go away in the blink of an eye.  It seemed fitting considering all he had done centuries ago.  But that wasn't going to happen this time.  No matter what he would have to do, Doyle would stay alive.  It was only fair to Cordelia.  She cared for Doyle so much.  As much as he did, Angel admitted to himself with some form of a sigh.  Things were so complicated.

Again he felt the soft pressure of Cordy's hand on his own.  More so as she squeezed his hand tightly.  He propped himself up enough to look at her.  She was curled on her side, eyes halfway open as she stared at Doyle.  She seemed to be studying him, trying to see if any feature had changed.  Trying to see every part of the face she had never really, truly looked at before.  Feeling his eyes on her she looked up slightly and smiled.

"It's real, Angel.  He's back.  He's here to stay.  This isn't our imaginations.  We won't wake up tomorrow..." Her voice faltered, tears starting to fill her eyes once more.  She was trying to convince herself as much aloud as he had been silently.  Neither of them really believed the words.  It was all too inconceivable, the person they had wanted alive again more than any other finally in their arms.  They had both dreamed of this moment night after night, none of them seeming this real.

"I know, Cordelia.  It's all so much like a fantasy.  I know it's happening, but at the same time I don't believe it at all.  I've wanted this so much, needed it.  And now I'm granted this?  There's no way."

"Oh quit this guilt crap!" Cordelia hissed, lowering her rapidly rising voice as Doyle stirred in his sleep.  "You can have good things happen to you.  So what if you were a monster sometime long ago?  Doesn't mean that from that point on the world's against you!  You deserve this.  You deserve Doyle being back.  We... we both do."

"Thank you."  He responded honestly.  Part of him was surprised at the kind words coming from her mouth.  She had changed so much, hardly anything left of the old Cordelia Chase.  So many factors contributed to this, Doyle's death having the most to do with it.  She had finally truly loved someone, not for what they had or for how they looked, but for who they were.  this was only to loose him so soon after.  Not unlike what had happened to Angel himself.  But that wasn't the point, it didn't matter any longer.  Nothing had for so long.  Three months that seemed like an eternity.  Even all that time in Hell hadn't hurt as bad.

"I don't know if I believe the words, Cordy, but thank-you none the less."  He continued on finally, smiling at her.  He absently moved his hand from Doyle's stomach to brush errant strands of hair from her face.  She was so breathtaking; it was no wonder that Doyle had fallen madly in love with her.  Especially now, after he had seen that there was so much more to Cordelia than met the eye.  She smiled at him again, moving her free hand to rest against his own.

"You do deserve it.  You were bad once, yeah, but look at all you've done since.  Look how you've helped.  Okay, so lately doesn't exactly count.  We had good reason to be like we were."

"Yeah, we definitely did."  Angel nodded.

"But why worry about that, right?  Oh, and Broodboy?" The vampire tried not to laugh at the nickname, nearly failing miserably.  He just looked expectantly at her.  "Tell him how you feel.  Don't let it go this time.  Believe me, it won't change anything.  At least not for the worst."  She grinned knowingly, and he had a feeling there was more to it then she was letting on.

"Same for you, Cor.  You know how much Doyle loves you.  Only fair that he learns you feel the same."

"Yep, it is.  So what are we going to do, huh Angel?  Jump him at the same time tomorrow morning?

Angel laughed.  "Gotta say I love the mental image that provides."

"Hey, what else are best friends for?" Surprisingly enough, yet not in a way, the vampire and mortal had become the closest of friends.  They had only one another to turn to for comfort during those incredibly long nights.  Only the two of them understood how a word or object could rip the pieces of your already broken heart out of your chest.

While in Sunnydale the two hadn't really talked all that much.  They were alike in many ways, though, even then.  Neither of them were truly a part of the Scooby Gang, when they were included in it.  They didn't exactly know how to act around the others, and certainly weren't liked by everyone.

In LA they had bonded even more.  Angel was the only person Cordelia could turn to in the city.  She had no one else in her life at all, really.  At first the vampire had thought she hadn't changed a bit since High School.  IT hadn't taken him long to notice that the whole thing was just an act.  She had changed and grown as a person, despite his first thoughts.  The former may Queen just hadn't known of any other way to act.

Doyle stirred beside them and they both returned to the present.  "I missed him so much..." Angel mumbled.  his words were more or less echoed by Cordy.

"I know."  She yawned.  "Mm... sorry about that, but I'm falling asleep here." 

"So go to sleep then.  We've had a long night."  Angel smiled gently at her and she nodded.

"Think I'm gonna take your advice."  The brunette mumbled before slipping into a peaceful slumber.  The vampire stayed awake a while longer, watching over two of the most important people in his life.







There's a million mouths to feed
And I've got everything I need
I'm breathing



Doyle woke up with a start, not realizing who or where he was at first.  He felt a cold, unmoving body underneath him, this being oddly comforting.  Someone else was pressed up against his back, warm hands snaking around his waist.  Cordelia.  Angel.  Memories came flooding into his mind at this recognition.  He was alive.  They had saved him from an eternal void.  From endless torture.  It was amazing.  The half-demon snuggled up against the vampire's cold body happily.  He didn't care that Angel knew by now, or at least had to suspect something.  What did it matter?  He felt, rather than heard the soft chuckle from beneath him.

So beautiful.  I almost lost him.  It was too hard to carry on without him.  Without that face.  That smile.  That voice.  I couldn't handle it.

The half-demon blinked at the thoughts now present in his mind.  Those weren't his thoughts.  He... He had just been laying there, pleased to be alive and with the people that meant the most to him.  His mind had been silent for once.  Yet he had heard these unspoken words all the same.  How was that possible?  It couldn't be.  Something wasn't right with this.  What the hell was going on?

Cordelia shifted, her mumbled words being heard clearly despite her sleepiness.  "What was that?"

"What was what?" Angel asked aloud now.  The brunette shrugged in response to the question.  A feeling of confusion filled the Irishman's body and he felt Angel stiffen.  The vampire could feel it too.  He knew somehow what was going on in his friend's minds and body.  They all could, it seemed.  God, it was too early in the morning for this.

"Angel, man, sum't'in went wrong."  Doyle said after a moment's pause, voicing what was on all three of their minds.  He didn't know what exactly, but he knew this wasn't right.  There was no way they should be able to know what the other was thinking.  If that was even happening now.  He had no idea.  Things were going from good to bad rapidly.  The only thing left was worse.  The half-demon sighed, running a hand over his face.

"I know, Doyle.  Somehow..."

"We can tell what the other's thinking."  Cordelia finished for the vampire.  She smiled slightly at them both.  "I can't say it's entirely bad."

"Me either."  Angel agreed.  "I've certainly been through worse."  Without meaning to, he let his companions know exactly what worse was.  Doyle shuddered at the images, they hitting too close to what he had gone through.  He swallowed hard, trying to rid his mind of what he had seen.  He knew Cordelia was horrified by what Angel had gone through.  What he had gone through.  He tried to apologize for what he had unintentionally put her through, but couldn't find the words.  It didn't matter, she knew what he wanted to say.  Soft lips pressed against his cheek, voice faint as she mumbled soothing words.

"Don't worry, Doyle... I know you didn't mean to.  I'm just..it hurts, knowing what you had to go --"

"Ov'r an' done wit', princess.  Now why don'we see 'bout some answers ta thi' whole thing."

"Good idea."  Angel went to move, but the weight of the half-demon on him made it difficult.

Doyle grinned.  "S--"

"It's okay.  I'm just going to call..."

"Number's in the rolodex.  About the only one that is."  Cordelia answered the unasked question.

"Uh... Thanks."  Angel blinked at the conversation.  It was so odd not even having to speak to one another.  He wondered if he would ever get used to it, providing it was permanent.  It could just be a side-effect though.  The only way to know for sure would be to call Giles and check with him.  The former Watcher had a vast knowledge of spells and the like offhand.  Knowing exactly where to look for other information if need be.  While the vampire knew of many things himself, it wouldn't cut it this time.

He smiled down at Doyle and Cordelia who were both struggling to wake up.  The blue-eyed Irishman was making more of a valiant struggle as it seemed the brunette was curling up against his shoulder and falling back asleep.  It wasn't that early, nine o' clock, but considering their night, it might as well have been sunrise.  He wanted to stay and just watch this beautiful moment longer, but didn't.  He had some answers to find out first.  Then he could allow himself some time to just be.  To just feel what he was feeling considering his life seemed to begin anew.  For the first time in over two hundred years it actually felt like it was going to be good.  That the evil had finally been atoned for, in a way.

"I'll be..."

"We know."

"Good luck in gettin' tha' answers, Angel."

"Man, this is gonna take some getting used to."  Angel muttered under his breath as he left the bedroom of his apartment.  A few moments later he was in the office and searching for the phone number.  It was where Cordelia had said it was, filed perfectly under his last name, in another semi-section of the rolodex for Sunnydale.  Boy, had they been desperate for things to keep their mind of... the Scourge incident.

"Giles?" He asked as soon as the phone was picked up on the other end.

"Uh... Yes?" Came the response.  "Who is... Angel is that you?"

"Yes."  A shake of his head at the surprise in the Brit's voice.  "I need your help, Giles."

A little while later the vampire headed back to his bedroom, knowing now exactly what had happened.  They were in a triumvirate, and this wasn't something temporary like he had first assumed.  It was till the day they died.  And there was another catch; his soul was safe, at least when it came to Cordelia or Doyle.

Doyle.  So what he wanted could possibly come true, if the half-demon wanted it as well.  But he had seen the way he fawned over Cordelia; there was no way he wanted the vampire.  That was just a fantasy, nothing more.  He smiled as he looked down at his two friends, curled in one another's arms, sound asleep.  Doyle being back was enough for him right now.  Now and the rest of time.

He walked out of the room, letting them sleep.  The talk over what had happened could wait.







Doyle shook his head, snickering.  "Ya still haven't figured it out, have ya man?  An' ya c'n ev'n read me mind."  An evil smirk lit up his face.  "Maybe thi'll help ya understand, yeah?" The half-demon closed his eyes, picturing everything clearly in his mind.  He heard a soft groan coming from Angel and laughed softly.  His plan was seeming to work.  He licked his lips slightly, continuing the fantasy.  He could almost feel the vampire's flesh under his fingertips as he imagined running his hands over it.  Taste the salty sweet skin as he traced an outline of the tattoo on Angel's shoulder with his tongue.

"That's enough, Doyle... really."  Angel's voice was strained.  The half demon chuckled.

"Finally get me message?" He looked over at the man he now shared his mind with.  The vampire face had slipped on, Angel looking as though he were having trouble reigning in his emotions.  Still hadn't gotten the hang of not having to brood all the time it seemed.

Nothing.

Had he pushed it too far?

"God, yes!" Came the response.  "I got the message."

"Good."  The Irishman smiled.  "So... what we gonna do about i'?"

"But Cordy..."

"Who says I can't luv ya both?  'Specially now... We're connected, Angel.  There's no fear o' losin' your soul wit' me."  Finally realizing he hadn't said a word as to what the other man would want he swallowed hard.  "If ya want it tha' is..."  Eyes were downcast to the floor as he waited for some sort of response.  He truthfully was expecting a short, quick shake of the head and then ignoring of the situation.  It would hurt, but the half-demon would handle it.  He always did.

What he didn't expect was Angel to practically pounce on him.  The vampire smiled down at him, cradling his head in those cold hands.  "You're so beautiful, Doyle."  He murmured softly, just capturing the look on the other's face.  He ran his thumb across the half-demon's lower lip and spoke to him softly.  "I want it.  You don't know how badly or for how long I have."

"Oh."  Doyle didn't know what else to say.  He hadn't expected this, really.  He had never seen anything to prove to him that Angel cared for anyone other then Buffy.  But apparently he was wrong.  He was definitely wrong.  He corrected himself as Angel pressed his lips against his own.  The kiss had just deepened when there was a loud noise from the doorway.

Cordelia stood there with her arms crossed, an annoyed expression on her face.  There was a hint of something else in her eyes but neither of them could place it.  "Shared mind, remember?  What you feel I feel?  Any of this ringing a bell guys?!"

"Uh... yeah... " Doyle murmured, he and Angel moving apart slightly, but they still not really moving away from one another.

"So you... Oh."  Angel cleared his throat and Doyle could have sworn he saw a slight blush.  It probably wasn't possible for vampires to blush though.

"Yes, I did.  You two have any idea what I'm feeling right now?"

"Well..."  Angel's answer was halted by the phone ringing.  Doyle grabbed it, happy for the interruption.

"Angel Investigations... we hope yer... hel... Ah hell, whaddya want?" He glared at the vampire and mortal, their laughter ringing in his mind.

No' funny you two

Is from where I am. Cordelia smirked.

Doyle made a face at her before turning his attention back to the phone.  "Uh-huh... Okay... We'll be right there." 

"Thi' woman said ya.."

"Right.  We talked to her before.  Some sort of haunting ghosties.  And not nice ones like Dennis either."

I thought we'd gotten rid of them though. They switched back to just thinking, it being easier than actually speaking the words.  At times they would actually speak, for a moment or two forgetting about their linked minds.  Than others they'd forget to talk at all, scaring off more then one potential customer.  Cordelia had blamed it all on Doyle and Angel teasingly, it being just as much her fault as anyone else.

Maybe not all of them? Cordelia asked.  It was the only possibility she could think of.

I' can't be tha'... Doyle picked up on the vampire's doubt.

"Well there's no way I'm staying in that rat hole!" Cordelia exclaimed.  "Besides," A smirk appeared on her beautiful face.  "That bed in there isn't exactly big enough for three people, is it?"

Doyle chuckled.  "Nope.  Altho' bein' squished in t'gether might have it's benefits."  They both looked over at Angel who raised his hands in defeat.

Not getting into this, guys.

So ya're leavin' me ta fight all by me lonesome?

You got it, pretty boy. Angel resisted the urge to laugh at the indignant expression on the Irishman's face.

Ya're really evil man, I mean it.

True, but that's the way you like 'em. Cordelia now, smiling innocently despite her words/thoughts.

Bite me.

Been wanting to all day. Angel smirked and moved even closer to the half-demon.  He bent over slightly and rested his chin on the others' shoulder.  Won't mind that, will you?

In response Doyle turned his head enough so that he could kiss the vampire.  No' at'all.

Hey lovebirds!  Don't forget about me here! An adorable pout had entered into Cordy's voice.  Both men looked at each other for the briefest second before pouncing on their lover.

How could we ever do that?  It's not like you'd let us. They chorused.  The brunette cracked up at the comment and whapped both of them on the shoulder.  In retaliation they proceeded to tickle her until she begged for mercy.  Once they released her she grinned at them evilly before a sneak attack.

A kiss on both of their mouths after the ticklefest stopped.  Cordelia snuggled into the arms around her, smiling as Angel grimaced at the weight of two bodies on top of him.  Doyle made a face at the vampire as well, moving more than was necessary

Brat.

"Who... me?  Naah... must be mistaken, Angel.  I'm a--" Doyle's words were halted as Angel kissed him.

"Puh-lease don't tell me you were going to say you're a good boy or something like that?" Cordelia raised a questioning eyebrow.  The half-demon pouted, looking extremely hurt.  Both of his lovers knew how much of an act it was.

"Wha'... I'm not?!"

Snickering was the only answer to his question.

"Well why no'?" The half-demon continued protesting to deaf ears.

Think about it, little Irishman.  I'm sure you'll come up with something.

He waggled his eyebrows at them both.  Oh, sum'thin's already up.

"Don't you ever think of anything else?"

"Can't say tha' I do."

Cordelia groaned, rolling her eyes.  I give up on you both.

"Ya know ya love us, tho', Princess."

"That I do."  A mock sigh.  "One of the worst mistakes of my life."

She ducked the oncoming blows, giggling the entire time.  Laughter rang out through the apartment after so long.  It was absolutely perfect, nothing ever being able to compare with it.  They had each finally found peace and happiness.  Something they had wanted more than anything, especially after the last few hellish months.  No matter what obstacles might be ahead of them, the two demons and mortal knew they could face it.  After all, they had one another.  What more did they need?

Please let it stay...



The End