Author: Kuzibah
Rating:   NC-17
Summary:   It's Cordelia's birthday and her lovers want to see that it is everything she could possibly want.

Disclaimer:   Fox owns all.  Let's move on.

Timeline:   This story takes place before 'Covenant' and possibly even before 'She and Three'.

Author' Notes:   Thoughts projected by any character for the benefit of the other two (as opposed to simple thoughts) are signified by double-slash marks, like this — //  I've also referred to this as "sending," which is a term I've borrowed from Wendy and Richard Pini's excellent "ElfQuest" comic book series, mainly to simplify the writing.  Hope no one minds.






Angel moved slowly through the Tai Chi form, concentrating on making his body conform to his will and trying not to be distracted by the thoughts flitting through Doyle's head as he watched from the doorway.

//Call that exercising?// Doyle sent.  //Not even working up a proper sweat.//

"Stop it," Angel said.  "I have to stay in shape."

//Your shape looks fine to me,// Doyle sent to him, adding a few mental images to underscore the sentiment.

His focus gone, Angel stopped the exercise and leaned forward with his hands on his knees.  "Where's Cordelia?" he asked.

//Now you're talking,// thought Doyle, reaching over his head to pull off his shirt.  //We'll get her back here...//

"Doyle!" Angel snapped.

//Alright, alright,// Doyle sent.  //And what's with all the talking?  It's just a waste of breath.  Or in your case... well, I'm not sure what it is in your case...//

"I'm talking so I can block Cordelia out of my thoughts for two minutes," Angel explained.  "Can you do the same thing?"

He felt a sudden pang of disappointed hurt from Doyle.  "Why?" the half-demon asked plaintively.

"Don't be so insecure," Angel scolded gently.  "I just wanted to talk about her birthday.  Have you given any thoughts to what she wants?"

Doyle smiled slowly.  "I had a few ideas," he said.

Angel rolled his eyes.  "I meant besides that," he said.

"Well, it sounds like you've got something in mind," Doyle said.

"Remember what she said her parents always did for her?" Angel said.

Doyle snapped his fingers.  "Yes," he said excitedly.  "That'd be perfect.  She'd love that."  Suddenly his face fell.  "Wait a minute," he said.  "Where are we supposed to get the money.  Unless you've been holding out on us, man."

"You know I couldn't even if I wanted to," Angel said, then added, "which I don't, by the way.  But I thought we could... approximate it."

"We could give it a try, I guess," Doyle said.  "Might have to educate ourselves in the mysterious ways of..."

//WHERE ARE YOU?!// Cordelia's mental cry cut into their minds and the two men's psychic boundaries immediately dropped.

//We're here!// Doyle answered and Angel asked, //what's wrong?// in the same instant.

Relief flooded into them from Cordelia.  //I couldn't hear you!// she sent.  //Where did you go?  What happened?//

//Easy, Cordelia, we're sorry.//  Angel mentally soothed her fear while Doyle sent reassuring vibes.  //We were practicing blocking each other out.  We should have warned you first.  It's my fault.  I'm sorry.//

//It's okay,// Cordelia sent back.  //It's just... it was suddenly silent.  Don't do that to me!  I thought the worst!//

Angel mouthed, "We'll talk later," as they both sent Cordelia wave after wave of comfort and love.

The next several days were an exercise in stealth for Doyle and Angel.  They whispered furtive plans in the pre-dawn hours while Cordelia slept, left each other hastily scribbled notes and Doyle did internet research and ran errands under the guise of other pursuits.

At last it was the night before Cordelia's birthday.  Angel had declared the next day "off" for all employees and Wesley had gone, confused but welcome of the holiday.

"You should go home, too," Angel told Cordelia.

Cordelia looked at him in surprise.

//Oh, we're coming with you,// he amended quickly.

//Why my place?// Cordelia sent, along with an image of Angel's bed, just downstairs, then of the three lovers entwined, embracing in the elevator.

//Did you think we didn't remember what tomorrow was?// Doyle sent.  //Did you think we wouldn't have a gift for you?//

Cordelia smiled.  //A day off with you is the perfect gift.  It doesn't matter where we spend it.//

But Angel and Doyle had retrieved crates from the inner office and were now moving Cordelia towards the door.

//There's more than that,// Angel sent.  //And not to spoil the surprise, but my apartment is a bit too Spartan for it.//

They exited to the garage and climbed into Angel's car, Cordelia in the passenger side, Doyle in the back.  The Irishman leaned forward and wrapped his arms over Cordy's shoulders.  She eyed both men suspiciously.

//What are you two planning?//

//Planning?  Us?// Doyle sent back, all innocence.

//You'll have to wait for tomorrow,// Angel told her.

Both men felt a rush of apprehension from her.  //You're not leaving me alone tonight,// she sent.  //We haven't spent a night apart since...//

//No, not that,// Angel sent quickly.  //Never that.//

//Easy, Princess,// Doyle sent.  //It's totally innocent fun.  Don't you trust us?//

But they could feel that she did, feel her utter and complete faith in them and they returned it in kind.







Angel and Doyle had agreed it would be best if Cordelia didn't wake too early, so they carefully shared the task of making her submit to happy, exhausted sleep.







Cordelia woke the next morning to the sensation of Doyle gently kissing the palm of her hand.  //Happy birthday, darlin',// he sent.

Cordelia stretched out, purring a yawn.  //Thank you,// she returned.  //And good morning.//

Doyle brushed a few loose strands of hair from her face, stroking a finger along the curve of her cheekbone.  //Ready for your present?//

Cordelia blinked into full alertness.  //Yes, please!// she sent.  //You two have been so mysterious...//

Doyle stood and stepped back from the bed.  He was dressed very unlike himself in a black tank top and shorts.

//What are you...// Cordelia began.

"Good morning," Doyle announced formally.  "And welcome to... uh, Doyle and Angel's health and beauty salon."

Cordelia's mouth dropped open in surprise.  //Are you...?//

//Hey!// Angel interrupted from the next room.  //I thought we had decided on 'The Salon at Chateau de Reves.'//

//Ah, who can remember that French gibberish,// Doyle sent.

//It's not like you couldn't ask,// Angel sulked.

Doyle lifted a tray from the top of Cordelia's bureau and brought it to her bedside table.  It held a rosebud in a vase and a tall glass.  "Your breakfast protein drink," he said, handing it to her.  He moved to a chair where a spandex top and stretch pants were laid out.  "I took the liberty of selecting your clothes," he went on.  "We don't want to keep your Tai Chi instructor waiting too long."

//It's finally happened,// Cordelia sent to them.  //The two of you have gone insane.//

//You can't fool us,// Doyle sent back.  //We know your mother always gave you a spa day for your birthday.  Just continuing the tradition.//

Cordelia took a sip of her drink.  //Doyle!// she sent.  //This is Ovaltine!//

//I made it with skim milk,// he sent back defensively, then leaned forward and kissed Cordelia on the mouth.  //It tastes fine.  Now finish up and we'll meet you in the gym... er, your living room.//  And he scampered out the door.

Cordelia took another sip of the drink, then had a sudden realization.  //What did you do to my living room?//

//Just moved the furniture back,// Angel sent.  //Will you relax, already, this is supposed to be a day for you.//

//Alright, alright,// she sent back, then finished her breakfast and dressed.

She entered the living room to find Angel dressed in an outfit identical to Doyle's and deep in concentration.  Doyle himself lounged on the couch.

//Okay, I give,// she sent.  //Did the Sports Authority have a big sale?//

//It was Modell's,// Angel sent back.  //And yes.  Luckily for us.//

Cordelia watched as he completed the Tai Chi form.  //Now that you mention it,// she admitted.  //This is the first time I've seen you in sportswear.  I'm not sure if I like it.//

//Don't think of it as us,// Angel suggested. //Imagine we're just instructors.//  "Are you ready for your Tai Chi lesson, Miss Chase?" he said aloud.

Cordelia giggled.  "Yes, sir."

Angel stepped up to her.  "Press your palms together in front of you," he said.  She did and he covered her hands with his own.

//Just relax,// he sent.  //I've wanted to try this for some time and this is as good an opportunity as any.  Just relax and open your mind to me.//

She tried and felt his consciousness, his essence, push further into her mind, expanding and superimposing itself on her own.  She began to retreat, but his thoughts spoke in her brain.

//Don't run from me,// he sent.  //I won't let any harm come to you.  I'm going to begin a simple form.  I want you to feel exactly what I'm doing and do it yourself.//

He moved his hands and stepped away.  //You can close your eyes if that's easier for you,// he sent.  She did.

He set his feet a little wider apart, for balance and extended his hands to the side.  Cordelia mirrored the stance, feeling the tension in his muscles echoed in her own, feeling him recognize this echo and silently confirm her efforts.

//You look sensational, darling,// Doyle told her, intruding on their connection only slightly.

//Why don't you get your lazy butt off the couch and join us,// Cordelia suggested.

//I don't...// Doyle began, then felt them touch the deepest part of his consciousness, drawing him in.  He rose and mimicked their movements, adjusting as he felt the same somatic echo Cordelia had sensed.

//This is very good,// Angel sent.  //How do you feel?//

//It's strange,// Doyle answered.  //Not what I expected.//

//I can feel your strength added to mine,// Cordelia sent.  //I want you to get even deeper.  Let me use all your skills.//

//Both of us?// Doyle sent, apprehension accompanying the sentiment.

//No, let's try one at a time, first,// Angel sent.  //Pull back, Doyle.  I want to try something.//

The Irishman did and Angel allowed his senses and consciousness to expand even further in Cordelia's mind and body.  She drew a gasping breath and opened her eyes.

//Did I hurt you?// Angel sent immediately.

//No,// she quickly reassured him.  //This is so amazing.  I feel like I could jump twenty feet, bend steel bars...//

//It's the vampire ability,// Doyle sent, wonderingly.  //If you ever have to fight, God forbid, such a link would be invaluable.//

//What do you mean 'God forbid,'// Cordelia retorted.  //I can hold my own pretty well...//

//I just meant I didn't want to see you at risk if we could avoid...//

//Wait, that's a good point,// Angel cut in.  //Doyle, attack Cordelia.//

//What?!// they both answered at once.

//I want to see if she can draw on my experience and skills in a combat situation,// Angel explained.  //Now block us both out and go for her.//

//Now just a minute,// Doyle sent.  //I don't want to hurt her...//

//No, don't hurt her,// Angel sent back.  //Just try to make contact.  Grab her arm, or tackle her... gently.//

Doyle swung his arms back and forth to loosen his shoulders.  "Okay, 'Delia," he said nervously.  "I'm just gonna..."

"Do it, Doyle," Angel said sharply and Doyle lunged forward, reaching for Cordelia's shoulder.  She sidestepped casually out of the way and Doyle stumbled several steps forward.

"That was pretty good," he said admiringly.  "You really..."

"Again," Angel snapped and Doyle tried to simply grab her.  She leaned gracefully out of his grasp.  The third pass he tried a tackle and she sprang away, catching his ankle with her own and sending him sprawling.

"Oh, no," she cried, rushing towards him to help him up.  Angel joined her, his brow furrowed with concern.

"Doyle, I'm so sorry," Angel said, helping him to his feet.  "I got caught up in the moment there..."

//I'm alright,// Doyle sent, re-establishing his connection.  //Nothing hurt but my pride.//

//That could be fatal, in your case,// Cordelia sent back, but she wound her arms around his waist.

Doyle embraced her back.  //That was some pretty fancy footwork,// he went on.  //Now how'd the two of you do that?//

//I went past her conscious mind,// Angel explained.  //Tapped into her reflexes.  I'm not sure I can describe how.//

//It felt really strange,// Cordelia said.  //But I felt powerful.  Capable.//

//Show me,// Doyle sent, turning towards Angel.

Angel pushed his consciousness into Doyle's as he had with Cordelia.  //Don't fight me,// he sent.  //I won't hurt you.//

//It's... difficult,// Doyle replied.  //I feel like I'm being suppressed.//

//No,// Cordelia sent.  //Open up.  Let his essence match yours.//

Doyle shuddered as Angel's consciousness seemed to slide into place in his mind and he let out a shaky breath.  //It's like presenting my demon side,// he sent.  //But without changing.//  He jumped lightly from foot to foot, like a boxer.  //This is incredible.//

"Okay," Angel said.  "Cordelia, try and hit him."

"Just a minute, now..." Doyle said quickly, but Cordelia advanced on him, lashing out with her fists.  He bobbed away from her and deflected her blows with his open hands.  She rushed at him, low and he leapt over her, drawing his knees up to his chest as she passed under him.

She skid to a stop and whirled around.  "That was awesome!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah," Doyle agreed, pressing his hands into the small of his back and arching it slightly.  "I think I may have hurt myself."

Angel stepped up behind Doyle and put his arms around the half-demon's waist.  He kissed him gently where his neck met his shoulder.  //I'm sorry,// the vampire sent.  //It was pretty awesome, though.//

Doyle ran his fingertips gently down the side of his lover's face.  //I couldn't have done it without you, darlin'.//  He reached out, beckoning to Cordelia.  //And you were absolutely sensational, love.//

//I wondered when I'd be invited to the shindig,// she teased, coming to them and enfolding them in her arms.

Angel reached out and twirled a lock of her hair between his fingers.  //But who taught you to fight?// he asked.  //You swing your arms out like that, you're going to get killed.  And you should never drop your shoulder.//

//Well, it's not like I get into a lot of punching matches,// she sent back.  //It's not something I need to know.//

Both men stopped their gentle caresses of her skin and gave her hard looks.

"What?" she said aloud.

//'Delia,// Doyle sent, even his mental words given a certain gravity.  //It is something you need to know.  You may have to protect yourself.//

//Doyle's right,// Angel agreed.  //We can help you, we've just proven that, but the time may come.  You have to be prepared.//

Cordelia sighed.  //You're right,// she sent.  //I know.//

Angel stepped back and Doyle and Cordelia separated, too.  //Tai Chi's over for now,// Angel sent.  //I'm going to teach you how to throw a punch.//

They spent the next few hours teaching Cordelia the finer points of common brawling, including every dirty hit they knew.  After all, it was about protecting herself.

Now it was nearly noon and Angel ushered them all into the dining room.  //Just relax,// he told his two lovers.  //I'll be back in a few minutes with lunch.//

Cordelia sank into one of the chairs, groaning slightly.  Angel sent a quick mental apology and Doyle stepped behind her to gently massage her neck.

//You did well,// he reassured her.

//Well I have to say,// she conceded.  //That was the first boxing lesson I've ever had at a spa day.//

Doyle groaned.  //We did go a bit afield of the program, didn't we,// he sent.  //Sorry about that.//  And Angel echoed the sentiment.

//It's alright,// she returned.  //And it's nice to know I can strong-arm the two of you into bed if you ever refuse my affections.//

Doyle draped his arms over her shoulders and kissed the top of her head.  //Never happen.//

Angel re-entered the dining room with a tray of food.  He placed a plate of sandwiches in front of Doyle and a large, fresh salad in front of Cordelia.  The greens were garnished with bright, edible flowers and she silently acknowledged the touch.  Then both got bottled water.

//Aren't you eating?// Cordelia asked Angel.

//I'm not hungry,// he hedged.  //I'll get something later.//

Silently, Doyle went into the kitchen and returned with a longneck.  Angel and Cordelia pointedly ignored it.

//So what's up for this afternoon,// Cordelia asked, taking a mouthful of salad.

//We now move on to the beauty portion of the day,// Angel sent.  //An herbal bath, some general cosmetic pampering and then a little shiatsu.//

//Sounds divine,// Cordelia purred.

//And then, the special 'full-body' massage,// Doyle sent, along with an explanatory mental image.

//I would hope so,// Cordelia sent back.  //It is my birthday, after all.//







Angel left them to finish their meal while he ran a bath in Cordelia's bathroom.  He rummaged through one of the boxes he and Doyle had brought, extracting scented candles, bath salt and a number of specialty cosmetics.  He poured the salt into the running water and the heady aroma of roses and lavender rose up into his face.

He set the candles on the sides of the tub and the sink and lit them, then turned the electric lights down.  //It's ready,// he sent to his lovers.

//Should I change into a robe?// Cordelia asked, but Angel and Doyle both vetoed the idea at once.  She entered the bathroom, Doyle right behind.

Gently, tenderly, the two men removed her workout clothes and helped her down into the bath, holding her arms and hands for balance.

She sank into the perfumed water and let out a long, contented sigh.  //This is wonderful,// she sent.

Doyle sank down to the floor beside her, resting his arm and his chin on the edge of the tub.  He reached across and scooped up a handful of water, dripping it over Cordelia's arms.  She sighed again.

//You are unbelievably beautiful,// Doyle told her and she smiled.

Angel knelt beside the two of them, a jar of an opaque paste in his hand.  Cordelia sensed his confusion.  //What is it?// she sent.

//Umm, 'Segolene's Botanical Hair Therapy,'// he answered.  //The lady at Salon Papillon said it was the best, but...//

"La Salon Papillon?" Cordelia said aloud.  "You got me presents from Salon Papillon?"

//You've heard of it?// Angel asked dubiously.

"It's one of the most exclusive salons in town!" Cordelia declared.

//Told ya,// Doyle sent.

Cordelia took the jar out of his hand and read the directions.  //I've used this before,// she told him.  //It's easy.  Now, take the water glass from the sink and wet down my hair...//

Working together, Doyle and Angel transformed Cordelia into a strange and bizarre vision.  Her hair was piled on top of her head, held together in a lump by the hair paste.  Her face was masked in blueish-grey mud, except for her eyelids, which were smeared with purple gel.  Both men surveyed their work with great amusement.

//Go ahead and laugh,// she sent to them.  //It'll all be worth it when I'm gorgeous.//

//You're already gorgeous,// Doyle told her.  //All the weird-looking goo in the world won't improve on that.//

//Just one more feminine mystery it's probably better men aren't privy to,// Angel observed.  He looked at the various jars and bottles.  //It says to leave all this on for at least forty minutes,// he sent.  //Do you want us to leave you alone?//

//Well, you can leave me alone,// she answered.  //Just don't leave me, you know, alone.//

Angel and Doyle went back to the living room and set about putting the furniture back in place.

//Have I told you that you guys are the greatest.// she sent to them.

//Not in the last five minutes,// Doyle sent back.  //But thanks.//

//You really feel relaxed,// Angel noticed.  //That stuff must be pretty good.//

//Oh, it is,// Cordelia sent.  //Absolute heaven.//

Doyle grunted as he helped Angel wrestle the couch back into place.  //Now, then,// he mused.  //We wouldn't want you to get so relaxed that you drift off in there.  Could be a drowning hazard.//

//This is true,// Angel agreed, picking up the thought.  //We'll just have to do something to keep your mind occupied.//

Cordelia gave a mental groan.  //Oh, you wouldn't...//

//But seeing as how it's your birthday and all,// Doyle sent.  //Maybe you should have some say in how we, uh, occupy you...//

//Actually,// Cordelia sent.  //Let me try that deep connection thing we did earlier.  See how the other half lives.//

//Intriguing idea.//  Doyle considered it.  //Which one do you want to... get inside, as it were.//

//Well, both, eventually,// Cordelia sent.  //But I've already established a connection with Angel, so it might be easier with him.//

//True,// Angel agreed.  //Is that okay with you, Doyle?//

//Suits me fine,// Doyle sent.

Cordelia attempted to mimic what Angel had done earlier, pressing her consciousness onto his.  She felt her essence push through, interlocking with his.

//Do you feel that?// Angel asked.  //Is my mind open enough for you?//

//I think so,// she answered.  //Can you feel me?//

He could; her personality, in all it's distinctiveness, so well known to him now and yet still alien.

//I'm seeing through your eyes,// she thought wonderingly.  //Will you let me have a bit of control?//

//I'm all yours,// Angel thought.  //Do as thou wilt.//  And Angel, with Cordelia at the helm, turned towards Doyle.

//This is totally bizarre,// Cordelia sent.

//You're telling me,// Doyle replied, looking steadily into Angel's chocolate-brown eyes as though trying to see both his lovers within.

//I'm so tall,// Cordelia thought.  //Much bigger, too.  I've never seen you from this perspective,// she told Doyle.  //It's strange.//

//We'll have to do some mixing and matching,// Angel sent.  //I'd be curious to see what sex is like for women.  Might give some helpful insight.//

//Okay,// Doyle intruded.  //Not to be the wet blanket here, but you two are freaking me out.//

Angel/Cordelia took a step towards Doyle.  //I was in you like this this morning,// Angel pointed out.

//That was different,// Doyle sent.

//And we share sensations all the time when we make love,// Cordelia added.

//Still not the same,// Doyle sent.  //This is more complete.  More like becoming another person.//

Angel/Cordelia stepped even closer, right next to Doyle now.  //You say that like it's a bad thing,// Cordelia sent.

//I don't mean it that way...// Doyle began, when suddenly Angel's arms were around him, embracing him, enfolding him.  Angel's lips covered his, kissing him hard and Angel's tongue pressed into his mouth, teasing and caressing his own tongue.

Doyle yielded, sinking into the vampire's embrace and wrapping his own arms around Angel's neck.

//This is amazing,// Cordelia sent.  //I want to make love to him inside you.//

Doyle pulled away quickly.  //See, that's what I mean,// he sent.  //Thoughts like that are just too weird for me.  I'm sorry, but...//

//So block us out,// Angel suggested.

Doyle's brow furrowed with confusion.  //But, I'd...//

//Block us out,// Angel sent.  //Don't think about what's happening in my mind.  It's not important.  We can deal with the details later.  Basics now.//

Doyle shrugged.  "It's still weird," he said aloud, as he barred his lovers from his mind.  "But it is the lady's birthday."

Angel embraced the half-demon again, then lowered him onto the couch.  Their clothes were tossed aside and Angel pressed Doyle down, their mouths covering one another's faces and necks and shoulders with rough, passionate kisses.

"Your scent," Angel grunted between kisses.  "So strong.  Like dry leaves, or deep in the forest..."

"It's the half-demon part," Doyle managed to moan as Angel nuzzled and lightly sucked the soft skin under his jaw.  "Is that you, 'Delia?"

"Shh," Angel said urgently.  "Don't think about it."

So Doyle allowed Angel to lay claim to his body and if the vampire was a little rough or awkward, or used his tongue or fingernails more than usual, one of Cordelia's traits, Doyle did his best to put it out of his mind.







Angel and Doyle dried Cordelia gently as she stood in the middle of her bathroom floor.  Despite her protestations, they had gotten dressed again.

They combed out her hair and wrapped a towel carefully around her, then brought her into the living room again.  Angel had folded her comforter up on the floor as a makeshift massage mat and she stretched out on her stomach.

//Watch me carefully,// Angel sent to Doyle.  //I want you to mirror what I'm doing.  Cordelia, if either of us hurt you, let us know.//

//Like I could help it,// Cordelia pointed out.

Angel grunted acknowledgement and pressed his knuckles against the base of Cordelia's skull, slightly to the left of her spinal column.  Hesitantly, Doyle did the same on her right and both men began kneading the muscles there.

//So let me ask you this,// Cordelia sent once they were well begun.  //Why does what we did while I was in the bathtub give you such a major wig?//

Doyle groaned.  //How should I know?// he sent defensively.  //It's sex.  It's not logical.  I react a certain way, whether I want to or not.  I want you.  Both of you.  And I'll take you each separately or both at once.  But not together.  It's too much like possession...//

Angel and Cordelia both began mental protests, but Doyle continued on.

//I can't help it.  That's how it feels.  Fighting is one thing.  That's survival and keeping us all safe.  Making love?  That's something else.  It's triggering a different part of the brain, I guess.//

//Fair enough,// Angel sent.

//No, it's not,// Cordelia's contradiction came immediately.  //This is all part of your same problem.//

Doyle's mind went blank so suddenly, Angel thought for an instant he had shut them both out.  //What are you talking about?// he sent finally.

//You hate yourself,// Cordelia shot back.  //Or at least the demon half of yourself.  If you could you'd get rid of it.  But you can't, so you work as hard as you can to keep it in tight control.//

Doyle stood up and moved away from them, his arms crossed in front of him.  //I have to,// he sent.

//No, you don't,// Cordelia replied.  //Not with us.//

Doyle turned to Angel.  //Back me up here, man,// he sent imploringly.  //You're in the same boat, having to suppress your demon side.//

//But your demon half isn't evil,// Angel pointed out.

//You just don't get it,// Doyle lashed out.  //I don't want this.  It's not...//

But Cordelia was on her feet, her arms around him, love and reassurance rippling off her in waves.  //It IS you,// she insisted.  //Don't you think it tears us apart to feel you hate yourself when we love you so much.//

Now Angel was there, too, his arms around them both and tears were spilling out of Doyle's eyes.  His thoughts were too disjointed to send clearly, so he only buried his face in Cordelia's dark hair.  "Don't," he whispered.  "Don't..."

//You aren't bad, Doyle,// Cordelia sent emphatically.  //We know you as well as it's possible to know a person and we know you're not bad.//

Doyle's mind closed off to them suddenly, like the slamming of a door.  "I'm sorry," he said quickly.  "But I need to explain this and I'm getting confused.  I need to acknowledge my demon half.  I know that.  And if you or Angel need to connect deeply with me to protect each other I would do it in a moment.  But I can't let you do it when we're... intimate.  Not yet.  Maybe not ever.  I'm sorry, Princess.  I can't let you get inside me so deeply.  Not like that."  He opened his mind again and the love and support from Angel and Cordelia so overwhelmed him he felt his knees go weak.

//You're right,// Cordelia sent.  //I shouldn't push you.  I'm sorry.//

//I won't say never, love,// Doyle told her.  //Not on your birthday.  But I need to work this through in my own mind.//

In reply Angel and Cordelia lavished him with kisses and psychic affirmation of their love.







They returned to Cordelia's shiatsu, Angel's experienced hands alongside Doyle's unskilled ones.  They took their time, carefully working every muscle until she lay slack.  As Angel's cool hands stroked the length of her body, followed by Doyle's warm ones, both men felt her slip into unconsciousness and quietly pulled back.  Angel draped a quilt over her to keep off the draft and then he and Doyle went into the kitchen.

Angel opened the fridge and removed a container of blood, pouring it into a mug and popping it into the microwave.  Behind him, Doyle took out two bottles of beer, then rummaged in a drawer for an opener.  Both men sat down at the table together.

//I'm sorry,// Angel sent.  //About earlier, I mean.  This link we all have, it's... confusing.  It makes everything so much more intense.//

Doyle took a draw on his beer and grinned suggestively.  //Intense can be a good thing,// he sent and Angel shook his head in amused irritation.

//Did anyone ever tell you that you redefine one-track mind?// the vampire sent.

//But I know you love me for it,// Doyle teased, then grew serious.  //I'm curious, though.  Did you get anything from that little exercise?  Did you... like it?//

Angel smiled gently.  //It frightens you, doesn't it?  Losing control?//

//Doesn't it frighten you?//

//Of course it does,// Angel sent.  //But it wasn't about losing control.  It was about someone else helping you take control.//

Doyle drained the bottle in his hand and started on the second one.  //That makes sense, I guess,// he conceded.

Angel finished his own drink, wiped the blood carefully from his mouth, then rose and rinsed the mug.  As he moved back to the table, Doyle reached back and coiled his arm casually around Angel's waist, looking up at the vampire with his fair blue-green eyes.

Angel felt the familiar drop of his heart in his chest.  He had never imagined another man could be so beautiful, so desirable and yet when Doyle looked at him like this, his eyes filled with naked want...

He cupped the smaller man's face in his hands, then covered that face with small, soft kisses.  Doyle rose, wrapping his arms completely around Angel and returned the kisses in kind.

The storm passed quickly and Angel nuzzled his own face into Doyle's thick, black hair, his large hands still holding Doyle's face possessively.

A thought passed through his mind, then was quickly, guiltily suppressed:  There is a part of this Cordelia will never understand.

Angel wondered if Doyle had heard, but the half-demon's mental answer gave no clue.  //Thank you,// he sent, over and over.  //Thank you.//







Cordelia came awake to the smell of Angel cooking dinner and the sensation of Doyle stroking her face and hair.

//Wake up, sleepyhead,// he sent to her.

She yawned, stretching her arms over her head, then lowering them over Doyle's shoulders, pulling his face to hers and catching his mouth with her own.  He slid down to lay alongside her and they shared a long, deep kiss.

//I hated to wake you up,// he sent.  //You looked so peaceful there.//

//Thanks to you,// she replied.  //This is the best birthday ever.  I want to come back to Doyle and Angel's spa next year.//

Doyle kissed her again, his tongue slipping into her mouth teasingly.  //Didn't we tell you,// he sent.  //The gift includes regular weekly supplements.//

//I don't deserve you,// she told both Angel and Doyle.  //Either of you.//

//Of course you do,// Angel sent to her.  //You did this for us.  If anything, I don't deserve the two of you.//

//Ahh, enough with the self-pity, already,// Doyle cut in.  //When's dinner?  I'm starved.//







Cordelia and Doyle both wolfed down the stir-fry Angel had prepared, sending their compliments and gratitude all the while.

//Leave the dishes,// Cordelia told them.  //I'll get them tomorrow.  It's getting dark now...//

Doyle drained his second beer of the meal and thumped the bottle down on the table top.  //I like the way you think, darlin',// he sent.  //Shall we repair to your bedroom or go back to Angel's place?//

//Actually...// she hesitated a moment.  //I want to go for a swim.//

Both men turned to her, incredulous.

//In the pool,// she explained.

//'Delia, honey, we didn't bring swim togs,// Doyle pointed out.

//So?// she sent.  //It's dark.  And the pool is hidden from view by the cabana.//

//It's an interesting idea,// Angel admitted.

Doyle went to the fridge and took the last beer out of the six-pack.  //Lead on,// he sent.







The gate was locked, of course, but that was nothing to the staff of Angel Investigations.  Seconds later, they were on the pool deck.  Doyle sat on one of the deck chairs to finish his beer and Angel reclined the next chair over.  Cordelia began removing her clothes.  //What are you two waiting for?// she sent.

Angel shrugged and stood, removing his shirt and shorts quickly before slipping into the water.  Cordelia did the same and joined him.  Both turned to look at Doyle, who was watching them with a lascivious smile on his face.  //God, are you two ever beautiful,// he sent.

//So join us already,// Cordelia sent back.

Doyle drained his bottle and set it on the ground, then lay back in the deck chair.  Cordelia felt his mind touch hers, pressing down deeper than he ever had before.  //This may just be liquid courage,// he sent.  //But I love you too much not to try.  Are you ready for me?//

Cordelia opened her mind completely.  //Oh, yes!//  Her mental cry was exultant and Doyle's consciousness slipped into conjunction with hers.

She wavered in Angel's grasp and the vampire put his arms around her, supporting her.  Her head fell against his chest and he felt her smile, warm and wet, against his skin.  She stood up and stepped away from him, smiling crookedly.  Smiling Doyle's smile.

Angel glanced towards Doyle's unmoving form, still in the deck chair.

"No," Cordelia said aloud, drawing Angel's attention back.  She was moving slowly, suspended in the water.  Angel moved towards her, embracing her again.

"This feels so strange," she murmured.  "Don't send to us just yet.  I don't want to have to sort us out."

"Doyle?" Angel said softly and she touched his lips with her fingertips.

"Don't," she said, then she repeated Angel's earlier words.  "Basics now."  But Angel could hear the soft brogue, so astonishing and strange on Cordelia's lips.  "I want you.  Now.  Please, Angel."

Angel carried her to the shallow end of the pool and sat her on the steps, easing her back.  He covered her body with his own and kissed her softly.  She trembled underneath him.

"Are you still frightened?" he asked.

She nodded.  "But don't let that stop you," she said, laughing weakly.

Angel made love to her, or him, or them, knowing that detail would sort itself out later, if it was even important at all.  He was even more careful and tender than usual, thinking that each touch was in some way new and strange.  And when the girl beneath him, the girl whose body he had taken as his own so often that he had grown familiar with every response to his touch, moved and cried out and moaned in ways that seemed to belong to another, equally as loved, Angel took these moments as a sign of an intimacy so rare it might not ever have existed before.

And when they were spent, their bodies half-suspended in the shallow water, she touched her own face and breasts as if in disbelief.

"And are you frightened now?" Angel asked, his arms still holding her, protecting her, her and another.

"A little, yeah, love," she said.  "I'm sorry."

Angel stroked the back of his fingers against her cheek.  "It's okay," he said.

She shuddered and a soft sob broke from her lips.  Angel rose in the water and gathered her in his arms, cradling her.  "Don't, please don't," he said, but she shuddered again and Cordelia's mind reached out to touch his own, like a moth's wing.

//It's just me again,// she sent, opening her eyes.

Both she and Angel turned to Doyle, who had already stood from his deck chair and was pacing restlessly.  //Let's go inside,// he sent to them.  //Or back to Angel's place.  Morning comes early.//







Angel glanced in his rear-view mirror at Cordelia and Doyle in the back seat.  The half-demon was in the corner, his head lolling back on the dash as he dozed, while Cordelia's head lay in his lap.  Angel felt an almost overwhelming tenderness and affection for them filling his heart.  As if in response to this emotion, Doyle stirred slightly in his sleep, not quite waking.  One of his hands petted Cordy's hair absently.

The Irishman had been uncharacteristically silent, neither speaking nor sending while they put Cordelia's apartment in order, but he didn't close himself off, either.  As they finished up, he reached for both of his lovers on turn, hugging them fiercely.  Angel had yearned to reach into his mind, to offer comfort for whatever turmoil stirred there, but he knew the healing benefits of a good round of brooding and let Doyle's thoughts be his own.

The vampire parked, then opened the back door as quietly as he could and lifted Cordelia into his arms.  He gave Doyle a mental nudge and the half-demon came awake momentarily disoriented, then gave a small smile as he saw Angel.  //Sorry man,// he sent sheepishly.

Angel shook his head to indicate it didn't matter and they entered the apartment.  Angel laid Cordelia on the bed and began to carefully remove her clothes.  She came awake enough to let Angel undress her completely and slipped into sleep again as he draped his silk coverlet over her.

Doyle exited from the bathroom where he had washed and stripped to his boxer shorts.  He approached Angel and, still wordless, helped the vampire out of his clothes, delicately, unhurriedly.  Their usual feverish passion had bled away, exhausted for the moment.  Now there was only care and love.

Doyle climbed across the bed to lie alongside Cordelia, his fair arm encircling her tanned body.  He kissed her shoulder, then closed his eyes tight.

Angel slipped in beside him, spooning against his back.  He pushed his pale hand through Doyle's black hair, feeling the tension across the back of his neck.  //Are you okay?// Angel sent, unable to bear his lover's silence any longer.

//Yeah, I will be,// Doyle replied, then added.  //She's different from us, isn't she?//

Angel kissed the nape of Doyle's neck.  //Yes,// he agreed.

The vampire felt a ripple of shame move through Doyle's mind.  //She is a Princess,// the half-demon thought.  //She loves us like a lion.//

//I know,// Angel replied.

//I'd give one of my arms for her bravery,// Doyle went on.  //How in the world did the two of us...//

//Shh,// Angel soothed, stroking Doyle's hair and neck again.  //Don't torture yourself.  Cordelia was right.  We know your heart.  And we both love you to the core of our being.  Doesn't that tell you something?//

Doyle didn't reply and Angel realized for the second time that day he was weeping, or was it the third.  But these were tears of relief.  //I'm sorry,// he sent.  //I've been such a crybaby since you brought me back.//

Angel reassured him silently, with his mind and his hands.

//I'm probably not over this yet,// Doyle sent.  //But thank you for that.//

Angel gave him three soft kisses in a row across his shoulder blade.  //You are my beloved,// Angel sent.  //And I cannot lie to you.//

Doyle let out a half-choked breath.  //If I live to be five hundred, I could never repay what the two of you have done for me.//

Angel clasped his lover gently.  //You already have,// he sent.

Doyle shivered and Angel felt two more tears squeeze out of the half-demon's eyes and gratitude flood through him.  And together they dropped into sleep.



The End