Go to notes and disclaimers


Convergence of Forces
by Denyce


Y our new assignments," the Director placed a folder in front of each agent. Victor was the first to open it, but it was Mac who eyed both the passport and a plane ticket first, and quickly opened his folder, relieved to find a matching passport and ticket.

"A trip where are we going?" Mac asked briefly glancing at the Director as he reached for the ticket to search for the destination himself.

"Los Angeles," the Director answered back.

"As in Los Angeles, California, the United States?" Mac asked.

"Is there any other?" countered the Director.

"Isn't that a bit out of our jurisdiction?" Victor asked.

"This is a special case. You'll be working with another team who already obtained two avenues to your objective," the Director informed them.

"And exactly who is our objective?" LiAnn inquired concerned because this was the first assignment outside of Canada since she joined the Agency.

The Director looked at each one, then took a breath normally this was something she did for effect, but for the first time in a long time she was actually nervous. She didn't like her team working with unknown elements, and though she knew Billie, she didn't know Billie's team. But this was the first time in six years she'd have the opportunity to get close enough to get Briggs; they had to take the chance.

"Thomas L. Briggs." With a small flick of her wrist, she turned and clicked on the overhead screen. On the screen showed a side view of man getting out of a limo at an airport strip. The man was partially blocked by a driver and surrounded by bodyguards who were escorting him toward a plane. He appeared to be tall, with salt and pepper, outlining his tan features. He was good looking in an aristocratic, way with his expensive, silk Gucci suit. The Director gestured toward the screen, "This was the last photo we were able to get on him three years ago in Miami."

"Miami. Again isn't this out of our jurisdiction?" Mac asked.

Without tearing her eyes off the screen, she answered, "As I said, Briggs is a special case. Outside of drug trafficking, smuggling, and white slavery, Mr. Thomas L Briggs had four of our agents murdered, and two are missing presumed dead." Pausing she chanced a quick glance at Victor, but his focus was on the screen. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Mac eyeing her. Turning toward Mac she leaned forward to emphasize her point. "I want him!" Leaning back she started walking around the table continuing the case perimeters. "Jackie, Dobrinsky, and I will lay groundwork and trail and follow Briggs to Los Angeles. He's scheduled to be there for an exclusive sale on the twentieth. I want you undercover and in position on the fifth. Briggs will not slip away this time, do I make my self clear?" She turned toward Victor to see if he'd say anything about recognizing Briggs to his teammates.

Victor looked up and saw her silent question, but only gathered his folder and asked, "When do we leave?" She turned her focus away knowing he accepted his assignment. "In an hour. No need to pack anything. Wilhelmina Chambers your contact and temporary supervisor will provide everything you need. I hope I don't have to stress how vital this assignment is?" No one said anything, "Very well. Get going, Dobrinsky will drive you to the airport. And do be careful, I know Billie she's good and has a good team," She couldn't hide the grime tort as she pointedly turned and looked at Victor, "but Briggs is a ruthless killer don't let your guard down for a minute." With that she turned and walked up toward her office leaving them with their files as Dobrinsky opened the door to escort them to the airport.

Mac watched her leave for a moment trying to calm his stomach. He knew something happened between the Director and Vic just then, and he also knew Victor wasn't going to say anything. At least not at this time. Getting up he followed the others, but Mac knew he would get an answer out of Victor soon one way or another it was just a matter of wearing down one of the most stubborn men he'd met in his life.

LOS ANGELES

Glancing at her watch she knew she had to hurray, "Alright boys rest time's over with we have another case. I have a package to pick up at the airport coming in at 5:30 I expect you both to be here when I return." Hanging up, Billie closed the new file case on the computer shutting it down. Standing up she grabbed her jacket and made her way to her car.

LAX

The flight was long, as each agent had tried to stretch enough to release the kinks out of their long limbs that had been squashed in compact seats for the duration of the flight. Including Dobrinsky who they didn't know until the last minute was escorting them all the way to Los Angeles. Moving to the side they watched as regular passengers moved toward the baggage claim. Each looked around trying to find their contact as the area thinned out.

Taller only by a couple of inches Mac smiled as he noticed the beautiful woman approaching them first, and hoped it wasn't Wilhelmina, or Billie as the Director later called her, but a team member. She was shorter than LiAnn, but was trying to make up for it in three-inch spike heels. Dressed in low cut jeans showing off curves and a healthy California tan. Long dark hair with a fringe bangs framing a beautiful pair of sparkling blue eyes. But as she got closer he noticed the way she was assessing them in a way that reminded him of the Director. Mac's smile started to fade as he thought of the real possibility of having to work with her when she smirked and stopped directly in front of him his smile all but disappeared.

With one last look at Mac, Billie turned her attention to the other three then really began to focus solely on Victor. Crocking her head she started to appraise him as she slowly walked around him noting everything about him from head to toe as though he was nothing more than merchandise. Both LiAnn and Mac were amazed that Victor did no more than stand there; his only visible reaction was from the tip of his ears as they turned a lovely shade of red. To no one in particular she said, "He's a bit older than I anticipated." Pausing she took the paperwork out of Dobrinsky's hand signed something then handed it back. "But he'll do. Follow me." With nothing further she turned and headed out the way she came.

Dobrinsky's laughter followed them as he called out, "have fun."

They turned and followed her. Mac and LiAnn were eyeing between this younger, but no less of an intense version of their Director and Victor. Mac shook his head still not understanding what was going on as LiAnn beat him to the one question that was on the tip of his tongue. "What the hell was all that about? Why did you just let it slide, and let her eye you like that without saying something?"

Victor was glad he didn't have to say anything as Billie stood waiting to usher them out to her car. After a half hour of silence they pulled up, and walked into a warehouse. "This is the Candy Store." Mac glared appreciably as Vic whistled his sediments as they saw by one expensive model car parked next to another one. "This way. My guys are here already." A short distance in between various cars, motorcycles and other extravagant toys they followed her into a very nice loft area where two guys, one white and the other black who appeared half asleep sat sprawled on a couch. Mac noticed as the white guy pried open his tried eyes watching them while Billie their new temporary boss walked up a few steps to an open office area to a desk where she sat down. The other guy, who appeared to be more asleep never opened his eyes once. Turning on her computer screen and opening up the new file without looking up, she said, "Glad to see you boys up in the early A.M. for once."

"Right, and if you didn't threaten to do some very nasty things to my balls I wouldn't be here now, Sir. Couldn't this of waited a few hours? We did just finish a long profile case." Van complained.

"Yeah, you know how my man gets with only an hour of beauty sleep." The black guy opened one eye eyeing his partner, "Yup, definitely no beauty there," the man quietly uttered and groaned as the other man swatted him.

"And do you really want to miss a chance at Briggs?" Billie watched as they both straightened to sitting positions, and ready to pay more attention to what she had to say.

"As in Thomas L Briggs, as in one of FBI's 10 most wanted east coast drug connection?" Van asked,

"The one and same." Billie countered.

"Shit, so what they Feds? What we got to work with them?" Deaq nodded to the three who still stood watching.

Billie smirked as she saw Victor give a slight smile while the other two gave her boys sour glares for thinking they were feds. Before she could answer Mac spoke as he walked forward, "Like any Fed could afford a suit like this and not be on the take." Mac heard the black guy give a soft snort and watched as he raised a questioning brow staring at his expensive, but very disheveled suit. Mac glared back, "But the better question is do we have to work with your boys?" Mac couldn't help the tone of boys as it rolled off his tongue. He was tried, and slept only a couple of hours in the last two days, and was still overly concerned about Vic. Who didn't say anything the entire trip that he even resorted talking to LiAnn in Cantonese to get her thoughts about the situation and Victor's behavior. She wasn't any happier than he was. And now two cops, wanta be thugs insult him by calling him a Febbie.

Deaq chuckled lightly as he stood getting up as easily as he lounged, and ambled over toward Mac, "Man I don't know who you are, but I highly suggest you mind your manners, and be respectful! Or I might be enlightening your knowledge with some very important lessons on respect that you'll remember for a lifetime. Boy." Deaq stated quietly; though he was shorter by a couple of inches it didn't diminish his threat. Neither said a word, but through their glares and smiles they gave off an impression to on lookers that they were only having a friendly conversation, but underneath the causal smile they acknowledged their instance dislike for each other.

Unconsciously Van stood right behind Deaq though he hung back and was at his partners back if he needed him. As Deaq was dealing with the mouth, Van took a moment to check out the two that flanked him. Each had subtly moved to their right and left effectively fanning the small area and their partner who they seemed to trust could handle himself. Neither gave the impression that they were concerned. The girl to his left stood like she was bored already and wanted to leave, but it was the guy to his right that concerned him the most. Something in those green eyes he recognized. It didn't have anything to do with mouth said and did that was for sure, it was something to do with this case, with Briggs. Then those green eyes bore into him, and for a minute they were open, readable, questioning, and scared to death. Van lived undercover for too long not to trust his gut instinct when reading other people it had saved his life too many times. And right now this guy was scaring the shit out of him, he knew something more than the others did about this case, and from the guilty look on his face it had something to do with him. Van cranked his head toward Billie then back at the guy who avoided his eyes. Turning Van advanced on Billie, "What the hell is going on?"

Billie signed, "Yeah well as lovely as all this testosterone is we have work to do. Deaq, Van, sit!" She saw Mac smirk at her tone while they grumbled and sat down. "Mr. Ramsey shall I send you back to your Director with a note pinned to your chest unable to work with others?" This time it was Mac who grumbled in response.

"Fine now lets get down to business." Moving around behind her boys she placed a hand on Van's shoulder, "My boys as you put it Mr. Ramsey, are Van Ray and partner Deaqon Hayes, two of the best undercover cops in the state. Boys I'd like you to meet LiAnn, Mac, and Victor, on loan from the Agency."

"The Agency?" Van asked quietly.

"Yes, but that's not your concern." Billie answered as she stood in front of her desk leaning back on it.

"Alright lady so we're here, so what do you have that the Director didn't that's going to bring this Briggs down, and what exactly are our rolls in this shindig?" Mac asked

"Easy enough Deaq and Van." Billie challenged back and enjoyed the confused look on Mac's face, but turned as LiAnn who had been silent up until then. "Would you care to explain?" she asked.

Billie smiled as they all listened to her, "I'll be glad to, Ms. Tsei. Deaq was part of a narcotics undercover ring that trafficked the east coast. Lucky for us his cover remained in tacked. One of those contacts was a Li Woo." She watched if showed any recognition over the name.

"Someone we're supposed to know?" LiAnn asked.

"You do know him, but more importantly he knows you." Billie turned and clicked a screen behind her displaying the picture of middle-aged man off center of a crowd centered on one, Michael Tang, and used her laser pointer, to point out Woo. "He was part of the Tangs back in 97'. Woo, barely escaped Hong Kong after stealing one of Michael's surprised packages he was trying to keep hidden from his Father of all people. But he lives, and has as much to fear from the Tangs as you do. Which makes him a good cover for you."

"A good cover? Are you insane! He gives one word to Michael, and I'm dead." Mac choked out as he saw Michael's picture gaping first at her then back to LiAnn as he swallowed hard at the mention of Michael and the Tangs.

"We're dead. I'd never go back alive, and Michael knows that." LiAnn spoke softy, but directly for Mac's benefit.

Mac shook his head, "It doesn't matter you're not doing this. They can find someone else, it's too risky. Michael gets one whiff of you even from a traderŠ"

LiAnn demanded, "Mac stop it. I make my own decisions."

Victor moved closer to his partners, "He's right LiAnn. Mac can't do this either. Neither of you; not with the Tangs involved."

"Excuse me can we get back to business now. You don't have a choice this is the deal, and its the only way we'll get Briggs. As I said Woo would make a good cover he hates and fears Michael as much as you do. Woo knows you both, your work for the Tangs first hand, and he knows and trusts Deaq. Woo is one of our connections. He's been working solid for Gene Marenditti since he arrived in the states, and Marenditti handles all of Briggs newest sales, and has for the last two years."

"Fine, since he trusts Deaq, then there's no need to endanger Mac, or LiAnn." Victor voiced out with reason.

"I would, if Deaq could do the job by himself that included breaking into a secure, high surveillance area to steal art. Now, he's good at a lot of things, but avoiding trip wires, and laser beams to steal a Master without alerting the world, or the authorities for at least twenty-four hours, now that's another thing." Billie slowly walked up to Mac fixing his tie and jacket, "I was under the impression that you have previous experience?" Meeting his gaze straight on, before turning and addressing Victor. "Marenditti is coveting a little prize of his own. He's had Woo quietly put out the word; 'thief for hire' in this case though thieves. Deaq will bring you to Woo. Woo will bring us to Marenditti, and Marenditti will bring us Briggs."

"Ok, that covers half us. What about him" Mac motioned to Van and Vic. He was still clearly upset about the Tangs involvement, LiAnn's endangerment and Vic's behavior since all this began, "and Vic?"

Billie eyed them trying to gage if either knew. She suspected Van already knew, or at least guessed some of it and that was the reason he was being uncharacteristically quiet, but she'd bet that wasn't going to last long. Glancing back at Van then Deaq she knew she was going to get an ear full later. Turning back to Mac, "Briggs is scheduled to arrive for a private sale on the twentieth, one of the major suppliers for the sale is Chocho." Billie paused for only a moment and was grateful that she heard no sound come from Van, but she knew his eyes were burning a hole in her back. "He arrived two weeks ago and started bringing in merchandise from around the country. He's using his brother-in-law Garcia's ranch, in the hills. It's secluded and difficult to get in or out without being noticed by their people. Chocho is Marenditti's west coast connection, and main supplier. Van is our connection to Chocho, that will bring Marenditti who will bring Briggs to the sale."

Victor watched as Van made the connection and jumped to what his true assignment was going to be. Van avoided looking at him and Vic suspected it was because he was just stripped emotionally. Because of the Director it was something he could clearly relate to.

Mac knew something else was going on, but couldn't rein in his temper, "Yeah well, you know where the hell he's gonna be on the twentieth at this sale why not just swarm the place and take him then instead of all the undercover crap. You already got who, what, where, why, and when. What the hell more do you want!"

Deaq slowly stood folding his arms waiting expectedly he had watched and listened catching Billie's eye as he did, he wouldn't say it not here and in front of them, but he had the same damn question, and he wanted an answer now.

Billie noticed when Deaq stood she knew she had little leeway left with his patience before he sounded off like Mac was doing.

"Thomas, Sanders, Bridge, Whitehead, Franklin, Richards, Marlow, Green, Castle, Caswood–all alias. Briggs is the name we tagged him with, his original is unknown, and we're not sure what name he'll enter the states with this time. I know you're tired, but think about it. Does your Agency, or the Director allow anyone to easily slip out from under them? It was three years ago that anyone had even the slightest tip on Briggs' ware-a-bouts outside of the wake of bodies he leaves behind. I want Briggs stopped permanently. He's too important not to take those extra steps–Is that understood?" Billie stared Mac down before eyeing each agent before moving on.

"Deaq this afternoon, I want you to start contacting Woo, let him know you heard about his needs and have a couple that would be good for the job. Use Aquarius. But be back here at 3:00. I want you to take them shopping they need an appropriate wardrobe."

"Ooooh hold up shopping? Come on Billie I'm not the shopping guy." Deaq complained. Billie's lips twisted in amusement, "You can take the card."

At that Van snapped out of his silence as he stared wide-eyed watching Deaq slap his hands together, "Oh yes, hand that baby right on over." Mac noticed Billie handed him a black credit card his eyes lighting up, and turned toward LiAnn speaking in Cantonese, "Shit, looks like we'll at least be able to do some shopping and buy some real clothes."

Billie looked over at Mac, "This disappears, or is over used and your Director gets the bill, and your head."

"Now Van, Victor, you'll both need to make an appearance at a private club later tonight. Start putting out feelers that you're interested in the sale." Looking around Billie dismissing any further discussions, "No more questions for now. LiAnn, Mac, Vic, go on up stairs find a room and get some sleep. Van, Deaq go home, sleep, and be back by 3:00." Without another word they left either to go home, or to another room upstairs to sleep.

After sitting for a few minutes Billie grabbed her cell and quickly dialed a memorized number. "Your package arrived–disgruntled, but safe."

###

Part Two

"Sir?" Van had walked in quietly, belying the emotions that were flaring within him.

Billie had expected one of them to double back; in vain she was hoping it'd be Deaq. "Van, your orders were to go home, and get some rest. You're going to need it later."

"About that, I can't do it." He started to pace in front of her, "You'll have to get someone else. I can't do that again. It's why I left vice to begin with, and you can't make me." Finally he stopped and took a breath, looking up, expecting Billie to start in on him, but was shocked to see her frowning and nodding her head in sympathy.

"You're right, I can't make you and I won't even try. Go home and get some sleep I'll call the airport and arrange for them to fly back tonight."

He watched as she picked up the phone and started to make reservations for flights back to Toronto. He leaned over and disconnected the phone. "Stop being so dramatic and just get someone else to be that guy's boy toy. There are lots of pretty guys we could get that Cho will like, including the big mouth."

"That's not the point, and you know it. Cho knows you. Seeing you will add creditability to Victor's story. We're not playing with locals–these are the big boys, and the only reason we're involved is because you and Deaq have connections." Billie took a breath trying to calm her nerves. "Listen, you won't be alone, Victor will protect you from Cho, and once we get past him you won't be the target anymore–you'll be the protector."

Van shook his head, "Come again?"

"Briggs knows Victor, I don't know the details, but Briggs interest in Victor is stronger than Cho's is in you."

"What the fuck is wrong with you people? Especially you, Billie!" Shaking his head, Van's patience flew out the window as he gave voice to the rant that burned in the pit of his stomach when he thought of Cho. "You're supposed to be at my back! Protecting my ass, not selling it for a bust. You know about Cho; you know what a sick fuck he is. He's not just into boys, or even just playing games. No that sick fuck is into torture and snuff flicks. We shut down the operation, but he got away. I couldn't even think of transferring for five months. It took that long for my body to heal." Van continued pacing back and forth caught in the throes of painful memories. "He left us to die, all of us–bleeding, torn. He didn't care; we were nothing more than ants to be crushed under his foot. Out of six of us, only two of us lived." Van held up two fingers shoving them in Billie's face to make his point. "Two. And you want me to strut in front of him and let him know I lived. Have him believe I'm still in the game. And for what? To get him. To get Cho. NO! No, you want some other fuck. This is nothing but to get Briggs. And who's going to save my ass? My partner? No, you assign him to some annoying whiny fat baby lips. Me, you got some guy I don't even know, never mind trust. Who's even an bigger target!!! Billie—"

Billie took the small window of opportunity. "Shut UP!" Stunned at her tone more than the words Van stopped pacing and stared at Billie as she verbally attacked him. "Do you think I'd send you in just to die? I want them; this case, with Briggs, Cho, and Marenditti. You have the perfect cover already in place. Cho does know you, he won't question anything and it'd just make Victor more creditable. And you're right, Cho is a sick fuck, and that's reason we need him off the streets. But so are Briggs and Marenditti. If I believed for one moment that you were a danger in not handling your job, I never would have taken you on. You whine, complain, and make short cuts, are impulsive, reckless, and live too damn close to the edge. But that edge is where you live and that's what makes your cover believable." Billie took a breath and looked Van in the eyes as she stepped closer to him. "With all that you're good at what you do. You don't loose sight of the case, of looking out for and saving your partner's ass, or the reality of saving your own ass. You're right, I can't and won't force you, but without you—it puts this case and everyone else in greater danger, including your partner. Do you seriously think Deaq will back out just because you do?"

Van narrowed his eyes, detesting her for using Deaq as a point of leverage over him. Billie ignored the message his eyes were giving her. "As for Victor, he'll protect you with his life–literally. He was in vice in Vancouver for several years. Worked mostly undercover. He knows Briggs." Billie looked up at Van's silent question. "It's his story to tell just as Cho's yours. Now shall I call for flight information?"

Van didn't say a word just looked at her for several minutes then got up and walked out knowing he couldn't back out on Deaq.

Billie sighed in relief and called out after him, "Be back by 3:00." Sitting down, she leaned back in her chair thinking about just how close she was to losing Van and this case. For a moment she wanted to indulge in her fears, and have a good cry at the pain she was forcing Van to relive. She had seen the pictures, read the medical reports, and knew in detail everything Cho did to Van, but she knew she couldn't indulge in that weakness. It wasn't what Van needed; she had to be tough, solid and stern whenever possible. Whether Van realized it or not he needed to lean on her strength and unwavering stability that her position offered.

###

"Can you hear what's going on?" LiAnn asked as Mac was trying to hear through the door. "Nah, almost soundproof. Know someone's yelling, but I can't make out what they're saying. What about Victor?"

"No, he's out like-a-light, Mac I'm worried."

"You and me both. I mean did you get a load of those arrogant ass- holes, calling us feds, and that chick; who does she think she is, mini-director?" Mac spoke as he moved around the room checking for cameras and listening devises.

"Huh?"

Mac stopped and looked at his exasperated partner, "Shag-a-delic, baby." LiAnn's look went from exasperated to confused. Mac just shook his head, "Gees LiAnn, you got to get out more. You know go to the movies, maybe date a little."

LiAnn smirked, "Mac, focus!"

"Right. There nothing we can do right now. As for Victor he'll tell us, just got to give him some time, but for now we better get some sleep seems we have some shopping to do later."

LiAnn nodded, only slightly mollified and walked toward her room and shut the door. Mac signed heavily as he sat down, knowing he wouldn't get much sleep as he started to go over the events of the last twenty- four hours, and especially as he examined Victor's strange behavior.

An hour later Mac fell into a deep troubled sleep sprawled out on the couch.

###

Van slowly walked in. It had only been a few hours since his conversation with Billie about Cho, but it was 3:00. Turning he heard Deaq enter behind him laughing. "You ready for these fucks--- insert a large stick from ass to mouth freebies rejects?" Van smiled and stifled a laugh; it wasn't everyday he got a chance to see someone get under Deaq's skin faster than that guy, Mac.

Neither saw, or heard the tall man off to there right until he stepped up behind them wrapping an arm around each man's shoulder, "Tsk tsk tsk such language. Now if you wanted to call Vic an anal retentive by the book ass-hole, or LiAnn a Queen bitch." Mac hesitated a moment and whispered, "Though I'd never say that anywhere she might actually hear you, a bit sensitive, and would probably cut you down to size. Plus, out of the three of us she's the most dangerous when she's pissed. Me? You can call me whatever you want." Stopping, Mac leaned into Deaq and with deadly serious tone, "Just stay out of my way, do your job and protect LiAnn."

Van watched as Deaq's teeth gritted together, his eyes flashing, and even went a shade darker as his anger flared. Then the next moment it was gone, and he threw the other man's arm off, and walked away completely laughing in Mac's face.

Mac frowned at his reaction, but luckily Billie interrupted. "Good, you're here. Deaq, I want you to take Mac and LiAnn shopping. Use the card. Yesterday's high style trying to be today's, but no Trump prices." At Mac's pout she stated, "You're no longer with the Tangs and it needs to reflect that. Better then what you have, but be reminded your Tang God-Father isn't picking up the bill. In fact, the Director is will be getting an itemized bill, so keep that in mind."

"Isn't Vic going with us?" LiAnn asked.

Billie looked up then back to her desk, "No, they're staying here."

<>

Billie heard Mac swearing, and felt Deaq's eyes on her before she looked up to silently him let know not to ask right now. "Now get going, and you'll need outfits for tonight. Deaq let me know as soon as Woo bites."

Billie watched as the three of them left grumbling, and wondered if they noticed they finally shared something in common–concern for leaving their partners behind.

She turned back and focused on the two remaining partners. No point in delaying the enviable. She plunged ahead, passing them folders detailing their covers and bios of the players. "I do have someone coming over in two hours to create appropriate wardrobes especially for tonight at the club. In the meantime it would be best if you got to know one another." Billie made a quick glance as neither one looked up from their folder. Addressing Victor she continued, "Your covers shouldn't be too difficult. For you Victor, basically everything stays the same up to prison. You were then released privately and bought for Sir Elliot Marshall's private use, who eventually trained you to top others for his entertainment. Until his death last June at which time you inherited most of his fortune." Victor nodded, understanding, as he still thumbed through the folder.

"Van, you'll play Victor's boy-toy. I listed several possibilities of when, and how you met. Any time after 98' and your involvement with Cho."

"I was never involved with Cho." Van answered heatedly.

"Fine. I'll leave you to get better acquainted. You need to be comfortable around each other, or you'll never make it through the door. I'll be back at 6:00. Make this work gentlemen." Without another word she walked out.

They both nervously sat on opposite ends of the couch thumbing through their folders. The silence dragged on for several tense moments. Finally Van snapped breaking the silence, "So you were in prison. What'd you do?"

Vic grimaced at Van's tone of voice, and quietly stated, "I was set up."

"And?" Van asked.

"And what?" Victor shot back annoyed. Vic glared at the man and started to question himself if he could ever be comfortable around this man, or with the given situation.

At Victor's intense stare Van jumped up ranting. "This isn't going to work. How the hell am I suppose to trust you in everything if you won't even fucking answer a few questions?"

"Maybe if you actually ask a question I'll answer it." Victor spat back.

Taking a breath, Van tried to calm down and focus on the immediate situation and his object was to get to know this man who he was now partnered with. Feeling calmer, but annoyed himself Van asked, "Fine, you were set up. By who?"

Victor looked up at his new partner. Van impatiently waited, his anger simmering on the edge at Victor's continued silence until his nerves got the best of him as he started to pace the floor.

Victor watched slightly amused. His new partner, Van Ray prowled the room like a cat. He was a slightly shorter, a slimmer built man, and a shaggy wave of unkept brown hair. Following a shadowed growth of facial hair that graced his scowling face. Vic bet Van stayed unshaven on purpose for his undercover image as a tough street thug. But anyone who took a closer look immediately saw the man's sensuous green eyes and mouth—a combination of sinful lust that quickly shattered the image he carefully created. Unable to help himself Victor's eyes traveled down Van's length settling on his hips and small tight ass–unfortunately they were now covered in baggier pants than what Van had on earlier this morning.

Victor shook his head trying to clear the direction of his lustful thoughts; knowing he'd have to give Van his trust and a hell of a lot more to really make this work. Victor closed his eyes to refocus, and sighed as he finally answered Van's question, "I transferred from vice to narcotics, refused to be on the take, then later refused to rat them out."

Van stopped his pacing and nodded before asking, "So you worked vice. Is that how you know Briggs?"

Victor paled at the mention of Briggs name, but nodded as he stood. "Worked vice close to three years. Never really met Briggs, but he.... he knew me."

Van intently watched the man as his demeanor changed at the mention of Briggs name. "How's that?" Van sincerely asked.

Victor eyed Van and knew they both had to open up. That once they started this Victor would be Van's protector to get in, but the tables were going to turn. Victor knew and trusted LiAnn even Mac with his life, but in his eyes Van was just a kid. A kid he didn't know and someone he'd have to depend. But to finally get Briggs he'd have to gamble on the Directors judgment of these people, sighing he continued, "A case we were investigating, someone was working some corner-boys leaving them disfigured and permanently disabled, or if they were lucky dead. The investigation led toward this club. Going undercover seemed the only option. One of the boys, Nico was a screwed up kid was running scared when his lover turned out to be the next victim. My supervisor convinced him to work with me as his new lover, and to show me off at the club."

Victor stopped for a moment and sat down defeated as the memories assaulted him. Van could see from Victor's far off look and the pain etched into his face he was not just seeing the events, but replaying them just as they happened years ago. Van was tempted to stop him from reliving the memories. Instead he froze, mesmerized as the torture of Victor's haunted voice continued on.

"We were wired and it should have been clean. Go in and gather enough evidence to bring them down." Vic laughed as he remembered their naiveté—his naiveté; the principles of following the law against people who didn't follow basic principals of life never mind laws of society. "The first night was no problem dancing and just being a visible couple. Everything went haywire shortly after that. I was made."

Van became anxious as he waited out Victor's pause before the man continued. "One moment we were dancing—the next I was in a drugged haze. They took us.... They found me the following afternoon. A few days later we got a tip, found Nico in a hotel room, like the other victims."

Van took several breaths to calm himself as he tried to shake his own memories that closely mirrored Victor's. Focusing on what Vic told him he noticed that Victor didn't say anything about what happened to him during that missing time. Sitting down next him, Van tentatively placed a hand on Vic's shoulder in a gesture of comfort. Without looking over Van softly asked, "So Briggs ID'd you then?"

Victor nodded and stood, turning away from Van.

"Ok, what aren't you telling me?" Van quietly asked as he stood.

Victor bowed his head, shame burning his face as he remembered the first package he received after finding Nico. Victor raising his head and stared into the other man's eyes. "Briggs took an interest in me; began sending me... gifts."

Van saw a look of familiarity in Victor's green eyes—fear. Fear he'd had seen reflected in his own eyes whenever he thought of Cho.

"Gifts?" Van questioned.

"Yea." Victor stated swallowing the lump that formed in his throat as he remembered each gift and picture Briggs had sent him.

"Nico?"

"No, he was one of the luckily ones—dead, but intact." Victor answered grimly as he continued to stare intently at Van, silently giving him the answers he still couldn't voice. Victor saw a reflection of what he felt in Van's eyes, the recognition of a shared experience and didn't think before he asked, "Cho?"

They were standing too close for Victor not to notice the slight tremor that Van tried to hide as it coursed through his body at the sound of Cho's name. Van quickly forced the feeling back and glared up at Victor. "Simple he's a sick fuck."

Van's animosity toward Cho helped Victor to refocus on the present as he nodded absently. Victor reached out stopping Van from his agitated pacing. Van glanced at the hand still on his shoulder before looking at the face attached to the hand, his eyebrow raised in question. Victor ignored Van's silent question and stepped forward into his personal space and seriously asked. "Are you really going to be able to do this?"

Van looked into the depths of Victor's green eyes; green eyes shades darker than his own. Truth and Victor's heart was reflected within that depth. The question was sincere and only radiated Victor's heartfelt concern. And it was that concern that shocked Van to his core. It wasn't concern about his ability to do the job, but actual concern for him. Empathy and real concern for his person wasn't something Van was used to receiving from too many people; Deaq, his partner, was a notable exception. Now a relative stranger needed him as cover, to get pass Cho, in order to get to Briggs—A man who was as much of a monster as Cho ever was. And Van knew if he said no right now, Victor wouldn't hold it against him, and would even defend his choice to Billie.

Van silently answered by taking a step closer, before he questioned, "You?"

Victor lifted his hand to Van's neck pulling him effectively closing the remaining distance between. Victor slightly tilted Van's head up as he bore into the man's eyes leaving Van no doubt about his intensions. Slowly his palm caressed Van's neck before his fingers moved up itching to play with the tousled locks.

Victor's waited, enjoying the sight of Van's tongue snaking out between those lips. They weren't the lips he often had dreams about, but they were lush full lips all the same— lips that Vic needed, wanted to taste. Leaning forward Vic hovered above those lush lips breathing in Van's sweet scent. Tentatively Victor licked the bottom lip feeling his lips open further in acceptance of Victor's silent command.

Lips touched lips; each opened and closed moving together, tongues danced and each enjoyed the taste of the other. Bodies pressed together, moving and grinding. The tension of anxiety and fear were quickly replaced with passionate need. Victor tightened his hold on Van's head, effectively stopping him from kissing. Vic waited a moment before plunging those lips again this time completely dominating the man in the kiss and body movements as his hands shimmied down to Van's hips holding him in place effectively forcing him to stop grinding their pelvis together and their growing evidence of their arousal as Victor dominated Van's movements.

Van's head spun as Victor took control of the kiss and his actions. Time seemed to stop, as all he felt was one unexpected delicious sensation after another. It had been a long time since he'd been with a man. Doyle, six years ago to be precise, but that was before he even hooked up with Dre for a partner. Since then it had been women; women made it easier for him to forget, until Deaq came into the picture, but Deaq was his partner and most importantly straight. Now here he was kissing, and fondling another man, a man who was going to be his new partner and who he'd be undercover with. A man who expertly dominated him with very little movement of his hands and lips, but his kiss alone held him with a promise of more.

###

denyce36@yahoo.com

Title: Convergence of Forces
Author: Denyce
Fandom: Once A Thief/Fastlane
Pairing: Mac/Vic, Van/Deaq, Van/Vic
Rating: Overall NC-17
Date: 1/29/04
Category: Crossover, slash, h/c
Email: denyce36@yahoo.com
Disclaimer: Fastlane characters are the copyright and intellectual property of Fox. Once a Thief characters belong to Alliance & John Woo. This was written for fun, not profit.
Feedback: Yes, please.
Dedication: Rachelle, Eve, and Emma who wouldn't let this die.
Summary: A dangerous undercover case puts everyone in danger.
Notes: For further information on fastlane & the characters check out The Fastlane Resource Center:
http://www.stopawhile.com/fastlaneresource/ and for information on Once a Thief and the characters please check out The Agency:
https://www.squidge.org/ratb/agency/
A 'Big Thank You' to Amazon X, for the beta. Any mistakes are mine and mine alone, damn me for tinkering.

back to top


home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Fanart] [Episodes] [Characters] [Cast] [Resources] [Links] [Guestbook] [Mailing List] [Zines] [Home]