GOLD FILAGREE
BY:  ~SCYTHE

***

Elizabeth heaved a sigh as she prepared herself for the impossible task of persuading a pirate.  She was currently seated at a small table in Captain Jack Sparrow's quarters aboard the Black Pearl.  She had four guards behind her and three of the captain's crew seated before her.  The captain stood arrogant and nonchalant in the corner.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of yer presence, Miss Swan?  Or is it Mrs. Turner?"  He said it in a bored drawl that was betrayed by the tension in his features and the narrowing of his eyes.

Elizabeth was somewhat taken aback by the lack of flirtatious banter, but knew she should have expected it.  Will was obviously first in his mind and apparently his heart considering.

What she was about to tell him would either spark his temper or ease it.

"Norrington.  The Queen awarded the commodore my hand for services rendered beyond the call of duty." The crewmembers blinked and exchanged worried glances; the captain showed no reaction.

Elizabeth continued, "I would have preferred to speak with you privately as the matter at hand is somewhat delicate, however, as it stands I have come to commission your services."

"You want us ta steal somethin' for you?" He quirked a brow, but the deliverance was cold.

She ignored him.  "Captain Barbosa's crew escaped.  They took Will before he was even partway to India… kidnapped him before we were aware of their intension."

There was a flicker of something in his eyes, a twitch in his jaw.  "Why."

~*~*~

Jack could hardly believe it when the tart landed on his deck.  He'd only just escaped her two months ago!  He'd been trying to forget The leap in his heart when Will had stepped before him, defended him The possibilities that had flown through his mind Dreams of Will by his side on the Sea.  No mere blacksmith ever held such supple power and intensity.  Only a pirate who had tasted the glory of the sea.

He hadn't even realized what the whelp meant to him until that final escape.  Even when the lass had stepped in, Jack had felt his soul soaring in discovery of his greatest treasure.  He'd always known the sea was the greatest treasure for any pirate.  He just hadn't realized one could capture the sea in human form.  He'd seen it in Will.  Seen the Fury of the sea during a storm, the gentle, calm strength always beneath the surface.

But Will hadn't jumped after him.  He'd stayed with Elizabeth.

Reality had come back to Jack as he remembered Will's heart had been set on Miss Swan long before he'd met Jack.  Suddenly the Black Pearl hadn't seemed so Free anymore...

And now after everything Will had gone through, the strumpet off and married the military bastard.  And had the sauce to come aboard the Black Pearl and 'request' their 'services'? /Where's Will?/

India? Will held by the old crew. Again. "Why."

She looked uncomfortable.  Gibbs was eyeing her with all the censure of the nobility themselves.  His own wench of a first mate was looking about ready to slap dear Eliza.  Jack nearly smirked.  Annamaria could belt one with the force of a steel whip.

The blonde hussy cleared her throat and began talking.  "It would appear that the Aztec gold wasn't the only supernatural treasure in that cavern." 
/What?/  "There was an Indian Idol.  We uncovered texts that describe its nature and the nature of it's... Magic.  It's a Fertility God.  It may bless a particularly devoted worshipper by impregnating the worshipper's...beloved."  Jack's heart was rocking out of turn with the waves. He remembered picking up the idol just before the big stand against Barbosa.  /Will...But that's not possible. Is it? Ghosts, Nightmares, sure.  Fertility Magic? Not possible!/

Elizabeth continued more slowly. "The statue or idol doesn't work for just anyone, the text mentioned something about 'a pure love equally requited'.  Apparently, since the idol was made of solid gold, pirate that you are Mr. Sparrow, you were able to worship it in such a manner as to impregnate Mr. Turner. He left for India to find answers that might help him in his...situation."

Gibbs caught the captain as he swayed and helped Jack into a chair.  Jack didn't notice Anna bullying everyone out onto the deck.  Gibbs found some fresh water and forced the captain to drink.  He was a bit pale under his tan.  Jack's mind was buzzing and it wasn't a healthy Rum sort of buzz.  After a few moments of just breathing, he managed a thought.  /Love.  Requited means returned, right?/

***


Gold Filigree Ch. 2

Elizabeth bit her lip as she was bustled off the ship.  She wasn't worried that Jack would refuse; rather, she felt a pang of sympathy for the rogue.  She hadn't really comprehended the full meaning of the 'situation'.

It hadn't been more than three days after the dramatic escape of Captain Jack Sparrow, when Will Turner had begun to fall ill.  It had started small enough with headaches and odd pains in his abdomen and lower back.  Then came the fever and vomiting.

Elizabeth had been beside herself with frantic worry as she searched for any information about curses, gold, and the Isle de Muerta.  It was pure chance that she stumbled on the treasure that had been confiscated from Jack on their return to Port Royal.  The commodore had been in the process of delivering the items to her majesty.  And there it was, a gold statue.  An Idol not much larger than a toddler.  With crossed legs and arms out-stretched before it, the figure looked like a primitive, skinny Buddha.

From there it was simple enough to adjourn to the libraries to search for anything on Idols.  She easily found it in quite a few texts on India.  Although what she found had stunned her.  A male pregnancy?  The text said a male would need liquefied spice to ease the transience of life.  She tested her theory by administering Will a steaming cup of Oriental Spiced Tea.  It had cleared his fever and eased his pain, allowing him to hold down the first decent meal he'd had in days.

Satisfied that the problem had been correctly identified (if still a bit dazed at the concept) she questioned Will on who he might love other than herself.   (She had most certainly not touched such a heathenish item, let alone worshipped it.)

Will had watched her for a moment.  They had known each other better than anyone else had known either.  Except when it came to their feelings for one another. He knew she'd see through him if he tried to deny a connection to someone else.  And not just because of the wording of the spell's blessing.  He could see her suspicions written clearly on her face.  Still he replied cautiously, "I confess I rather miss Captain Sparrow.  I guess I got a bit attached to the thrill of the sea after all."

She'd comforted and soothed him, "Everything will turn out all right." Had told him she would take care of him.  But when she finally approached her father a week later with her unbelievable discovery...

#Flashback#

Elizabeth strode forward with all the unshakable determination of the Dauntless.  The governor cringed.  He'd just finished speaking with the commodore about the Queen's favor.  Mr. Weatherby Swann had rather liked the Turner boy and had certainly wanted Elizabeth to be happy, but...

Now with the Queen's sights on Port Royal and a wedding in the colony, the governor found himself thinking things would go so much smoother if the young blacksmith were to peg out.  The gel would end up with Norrington one way or the other.

Once she'd cornered her father, Elizabeth screwed up her courage, took a deep breath and spilled the tale of this new curse.

Rather than shock, distress, or even disbelief, Elizabeth was disheartened to see that her father was actually relieved.  She narrowed her eyes and furrowed her brows in a sullen scowl, fluttering the fingers of her right hand at her side.  /Damn that Jack Sparrow's influence anyway!/

"What have you heard of this, father? What's going on?" She put as much strength into her demand as she could.  She didn't want to sound the child begging answers.

The governor cleared his throat. "Well, m'dear, it stands thus that the Queen has decided to award the commodore for his superb command of Port Royal.  Her Majesty has effectively assigned him the duty of marriage." 

Elizabeth's heart dropped.  /But what of my wishes, my dreams, my plans?  Am I such a pawn?  Have I no say in my life? Oh, but I see where this leads!/

Her father continued, "The letter arrived just yesterday and I've been hard pressed to break it to you easy, gel, but here it is.  You're to marry the good Commodore Norrington and forget all about Mr. Turner.  One curse as you please, but it just wasn't meant to be!  The Lad have done with You and You're done with Curses!"

The governor puffed a bit and beat a hasty retreat from the devastated hellion that was his daughter.

#End Flashback#

Elizabeth looked back at the Black Pearl.  She'd been a bit attached to Sparrow herself, if she dared to admit it.  The past two months she had been consumed with her loss of power, her new future, and her shattered dreams.  She hadn't even pursued the fertility curse, instead leaving Will to take three months' supplies of Oriental Spiced Tea and make for India on his own.

When she had learned of his capture, she had been consumed with guilt and worry.  She'd hunted down the Pearl, gathered as much gold as she could find, taken four of her husband's men and set out to parley with the pirates.

It hadn't really occurred to her that Jack had actually loved Will, had given him up to her, had surrendered...

She hadn't expected that telling reaction, nor the protectiveness of the crew towards both Will and Jack.  She knew she could have fought harder for Will.  She hadn't even really considered that the marriage would break his heart.  When had she become so self-centered?  Elizabeth turned to the anxious guards and proceeded to their inn.  She would give Jack two days to drink himself sane.
***
Ch. 3

A dark morning found Elizabeth back on board the Pearl but without the honor guard. The four men had only been needed to deliver the chests of gold on the first meeting. She had only one 'gift' left. As she stepped into the captain's quarters, she found Jack at the same table with his head bent over his arms, one hand on a bottle of Rum.

Jack spoke without moving.  "Barbossa's men have Will.  You've no idea where or on what manner of vessel."

Elizabeth winced. "Yes."

"Right then. What've ye brought me?"

She opened the long slender case and withdrew the sword.  "My father commissioned this sword for my husband.  It was presented to him the day he became commodore."

Jack took a deep breath and stood up.  He stood straight with his head high.  He'd lost the overcoat for this meeting, opting instead for the unlaced white shirt tucked into gray trousers.  His finely toned chest puffed out for maximum effect, he twiddled his fingers a bit before unsheathing the sword. His mustache twitched as though he were impressed despite himself. 

The blade was crafted out of folded steel, which made it much stronger than any sword made in a mold.  It also allowed for a particularly sharp edge. Jack had seen the same technique used to make samurai katanas.  /Impressive./  He tested the steel's balance and admired the handle.

"Like the tassel, love." He said it with an amused smirk.

"That's Gold Filigree laid in the handle." Elizabeth was fighting her own snarky humor.  She remembered all too clearly Will's smart little demonstration.  He'd always had this particular flair that she now recognized as a piratical affliction.

"Is it now?"

"Yes, I believe Will delivered it to my house the morning of the presentation.  You dueled with him not a few hours later, as I recall."  Her grin was positively cheeky.

Jack narrowed his eyes and raised a brow at her.  /This was one of Will's swords./  Then he hummed a bit and sheathed the magnificent weapon.  He understood her perfectly.  She wanted to make amends.  That was just savvy.

He huffed, made a dashing turn, and swaggered out on deck.  "Annamaria! Roust the crew!  Stow those landlines and hoist those sails!  We're headin' out."
"Aye, she's ready to sail when you are, Captain!"

Jack waved at her and followed Elizabeth to the gangplank. "Sure yer not wantin' to accompany us this trip, love?"

She smiled serenely, "And endure the scent? I think I've done."

Jack mock-scowled at her then sobered.  He cleared his throat.  "Don't you worry about Will, lass.  Captain Jack Sparrow'll take care of 'em."

She nodded and made her way to the pier.  As she stepped down she turned and called to Jack.  "Oh, Mr. Sparrow," He turned back to her with a raised arm and a devilish grin. "Tell Mr. Turner I wish him happiness.  And Mr. Sparrow...Take care of yourself."

He swept off his hat and bowed with a flourish. The reprehensible rogue.

~*~

Elizabeth watched from a shaded bench on the port's main deck as the Black Pearl left the harbor.  She'd been relieved when the Captain had returned to his natural Jack Sparrow persona. She hoped he'd forgiven her for Will.  She hoped he'd be able to protect Will.  And, she hoped their love would be strong enough to weather the storm.  Smiling, she recalled Jack's slur.  /"take care of 'em"/  Them.

She stood and turned back to the land, prepared to return to her pompous husband and the ever-dull Port Royal.  By now the great Commodore Norrington was sure to be missing the gold she'd 'borrowed'.  Elizabeth smirked a pirate's smirk.

email author                  back to main page
Email the                Return to
 Author                Story Index