Stargate Atlantis

Search and Rescue | The Seed | Broken Ties | The Daedalus Variations | Ghost in the Machine
The Shrine | Whispers | The Queen | Tracker | First Contact
The Lost Tribe | Outsiders | Inquisition | The Prodigal | Remnants
Brain Storm | Infection | Indentity | Vegas | Enemy at the Gate

Search and Rescue

Like most of the world I downloaded the 'leaked' copy of 'Search and Rescue' and watched it. But I also watched it 'live'. I found it just as enjoyable the second time around. So, we open with a recap of just a few eps from last season, the Teyla-centric ones and 'The Last man', but just a tiny bit of 'The Last Man'. Ending with the building imploding on our heroes. Then we go to John and Teyla sharing a candlelit dinner. You know the John/Teyla shippers are going nuts! Joe/John holds his wine glass by the stem. Then Ford. Rainbow! He's still so cute! Then on to Ronon and John buried under some debris. John has a nasty wound in his side and Ronon tries to move the beam off him, to no avail, it is heavy and despite being super strong...

Then we have Rodney and Lorne trapped together. Lorne says his leg might be broken, Rodney says he's fine. This does not reassure Lorne, at all. Except to know that his Sire's Mate wasn't hurt on his watch.

Cool effect of pulling out from Rodney looking up from under the building through the 'city', the atmosphere, the solar system to the other side of the galaxy to Michael's hive. Michael is told that the building has 'been compromised'.

Nice pan through the city with a really pretty shot of the two visible moons. Sam is suitably concerned for the team.

Back to the planet. Rodney is on the verge of driving Lorne bonkers. Rodney is thrilled to have found Michael's 'Wiki'. Lorne is definitely not a geek. Not even a closet geek like his CO because he doesn't, or at least pretends to not, know what the frell Rodney's talking about.

Sam and the Combat engineers have arrived. Rodney lets them know that Michael is on his way. We have a new girl Marine. According to IMDb her name is Captain Alicia Vega. She's very cute.

John and Ronon are still trying to get the beam off John. John's beating himself up over it. Calling himself 'the guy'. Not sure what he means by that. Ronon refuses to leave his boyfriend's side. Awwww.

Michael giving Teyla a pre-natal exam. Michael tells her that her son will be 'an instrument of change.' She asks about her future. Michael falters in his answer. Does he hope she'll join him? Kanaan is told to remove her restraints and post a guard outside her door. She almost has him convinced to help her.

Keller gets Rodney to the surface and he refuses medical treatment. Saying that Lorne is hurt worse and needs her attention more. Sam tells Rodney that there are two more survivors but they don't know who. She asks about Teyla. And Michael has beaten the Daedelus to the planet.

Michael is gloating. Sam orders everyone back to the jumpers. Captain Vega shoots what I think is a M50 at a dart...I'm not into girls but that image got me hot. Why is Keller ignoring Lorne? Doesn't he need to have his leg set? I understand he's a vampire but still. Give him some blood or something. Keller is stupid and her voice is getting on my nerves. I admit I didn't even like her on Firefly.

John's about to pass out. Ronon is trying to keep his mind off the pain. John tries again to get him to leave. They hear 'rescuers'.

The Daedelus arrives and Sam tells him he can't destroy Michael's hive. Michael decides to cut his losses and run. They shoot out his hyper drive.

John and Ronon figure out that their 'rescuers' are not who they thought it would be when John asks about someone named Harris who is on leave until 'next month'. If a person gets a whole month of leave-time on Atlantis, I wanna work there. John confirms they aren't human by asking if they prefer 'Duff Beer or Oprah Ale'. The respond with 'Duff'. John tells Ronon, again that he should have left him. As they prepare to fight to the death, John says 'It's been a pleasure.' Ronon responds with 'Same'. I guess that's how macho guys say 'I love you'. AND they're beamed up just as the hybrids reach them.

Ronon gets surly when he's in pain. Keller didn't make John remove his clothes so she can treat his wound. And John just found out that his Mate and his Childe are just fine. He badgers Keller into letting him walk out of the infirmary so he can rescue Teyla.

Caldwell can snark too! When told about John's plan to rescue Teyla he replies 'As a rule I like to keep daring rescues down to one a day.' Sam says she won't take no for an answer. If she's the same rank as him, and the commander of Atlantis, why does she need his permission? Sam tries to talk John out of this. He says he'll surrender for court-martial when he's done after telling her he has more respect for her than any CO he's ever had. I'm hoping he means military COs because he respected Elizabeth a lot. And the daring rescue commences with John, Ronon and Rodney going after their fourth.

Rodney says it won't take more than a couple of seconds and finds out that Michael is within minutes of having his hyper drive on line. He tries to take point but John doesn't let him. They find Teyla just as she has a contraction. And Rodney and John freak when they find out that Teyla's real close to delivering.

Ronon and John head off to destroy the hyper drive leaving Rodney alone with the woman in labor. *snicker* This is my favorite scene. Rodney asks how she's doing and she responds 'The pain is very great.' Rodney starts telling about when he and his cat had kidney stones at the same time. Teyla is not amused. He tries to help by doing Lamaze breathing. She doesn't understand, not being from Earth and all. So he asks what she needs him to do and she grabs him hand with the next contraction...and almost breaks it! She tells him he has to deliver her son.

In the hyper drive chamber John tries to be 'a man' and put the C-4 on it himself. Ronon tells his boyfriend to stop being 'a man' and let others help once in a while. They manage to destroy the hyper drive. Yay! Michael now knows they're on board.

Rodney is freaking. Saying babies don't come this quick. Um...they can. First ones usually don't, but they can. He says he can see the head. Asks if he can touch it. He-he, Rodney is almost completely useless. He starts babbling, again. Teyla tells him he'll have to 'catch' the baby. He says 'Just underhand him alright? I've never been good at baseball.' He grits his teeth and becomes the 'Brave Little Toaster' and delivers Teyla's son. He's gonna make a great honorary uncle. Reconnecting with Jeanie has done wonders for him. John and Ronon return and John is all amazed that Rodney helped without passing out.

Uh-oh. The jumper is gone. John can't get the jumper to de-cloak. Rodney asks if he broke it. Is it possible they got turned around and are just in a different part of the dart bay? Does Michael have the gene from Carson's retrovirus?

Mmm. Rodney with a gun... *thud*

They come across Kanaan and Teyla convinces him to come with them by using their son as incentive. Ronon doesn't trust him but Teyla does. John takes his weapon and then says 'lead the way'. They use a dart. John beamed everyone up into the storage device but is holding the baby in his arms. The hive is destroyed but Michael might have escaped.

Rodney is bragging about delivering the baby. Sam is on her way back to Earth for her one-year eval. Teyla names the baby after her father and John, which will make Rodney angry; Torren John. I thought her father's name was Tagan? Keller makes a stupid joke about John lying still and letting her play with his insides. Why are John's feet hanging off the end of the bed? Can't they find beds that are at least as long as Jason? Beds in real life are not that short. Sam arrives on Earth and is told that she no longer leads the Atlantis expedition. She's stunned, especially when Woolsey tells her he's replacing her.

So, all in all a very good ep. Definitely the way a season of SGA should start.

to the top

The Seed

Previously on SGA…scenes from last week and the last time we saw Carson.

Open on Teyla walking Torren around the city. Ah, the joys of motherhood with an infant. I was lucky in that my daughter slept through the night from day one. The women discuss different ways to make infants sleep. Then move on to the hybrids and Carson. Rodney tells Carson all the city gossip, but will deny it if asked. Teyla's gonna be a great mom.

Where's Chuck? And who's that chick in his chair?

Woolsey beams down. John greets him, expects some kind of speech and is surprised when all he does is ask for the current reports.

Nice shot of the city at night.

Jennifer is asleep at her desk. She has some 'goop' on her hand and looks very disgusted. All she does is wash it off. C'mon! Even I know to take a sample! One of the night staff shows up and tells her to go to bed. Now Jennifer looks distracted.

Rodney proves how socially inept he is by telling Jennifer, by asking if she got 'any sleep last night', that she looks like crap. There's a new conference table that Woolsey brought from home. Everyone discusses how good Sam was at her job. And why the IOA wants someone they can control in charge. John almost lets slip that Rodney and Jennifer hooked up in the alternate timeline. Woolsey shows up, throws an overstuffed binder on the table and says 'hm' when the doors begin to close. He congrats everyone for stopping Michael's plan. He then 'pooh-poohs' everyone saying he just might still be alive. Jennifer just fell asleep! Woolsey won't let the ex-hybrids go. Then turns his sights on Carson. Even tells Jennifer to stop looking for a treatment, since she's sorta kinda found one. And Rodney doesn't like it. But he and Jennifer, along with two orderlies, go to revive Carson.

Paul's hair doesn't look right. He asks if he missed anything and no one mentions Teyla's baby. John just says 'The usual'. Looks like TPTB might be trying to hook John and Jennifer up now. He shows a lot of concern for her health. The doctor takes pills!?

Rodney really needs to stop and look at his city more often. He finds Carson on a balcony gazing at the view. When Carson says it's gorgeous, Rodney replies 'I suppose so' in a voice that says 'I haven't really noticed'. He then tells Carson that he's being sent back to Earth with the next dial out. Then Teyla calls Rodney on his radio because there's a problem with Keller.

Keller missed breakfast with Teyla and is late for her shift. Rodney doesn't care but Teyla wants him to override the door controls. He tells her that 'if she's in there just sleeping or naked or something' then her and Carson are taking the blame. He does as asked and gets the doors open. They find her in her bed covered by...something nasty. Teyla calls John to tell him there's a problem.

John comes running in. Carson tells them that it looks like an experiment of Michael's. He suggests they move her to iso. Woolsey doesn't like that Carson is leading the investigation. Carson tries to remove some of the tendrils and causes her to crash. Just a couple of seconds of CPR later and she's back! Woolsey isn't happy. He wants to send Carson back to Earth. Doesn't care that Carson is needed on Atlantis. As they're talking Woolsey says 'You're convinced this has something to do with Michael?' and Carson replies 'Well, it's not a case of the hives, is it?' which has Woolsey relenting, albeit reluctantly. When she wakes up a nurse enters the room where Carson and Rodney are discussing things and says 'Doctor?' and they both respond. Rodney enters the iso room and the thing is everywhere. Jennifer mentions her hand and Rodney asks why she didn't say anything. She says she was going to 'run a scan'. What? Why a scan and not take a sample? It appears to be messing with her mind, making her hear voices and such. John, Ronon, Rodney, everyone who was on M2S-445 has it too.

Woolsey's in John's room. Why is there a pillar right in the middle of John's room? He moved the Johnny Cash poster. He's cleaning his clubs. He-he. John hates being sent to his room. His bed looks way too short for even me!

Radek! He looks tired and may have lost weight. Turns out the thing on Jennifer is like the hull of a ship. In other words...she's turning into a hive ship. And it has spread. It searches out power so they shut it all down. Without telling Jennifer. Rodney is ranting about the new guy taking advice from the 'B-team'. He has sparkly pink curtains! Teyla goes to Woolsey with Rodney's thoughts. But because Rodney's infected Woolsey's not sure he should take Rodney's advice. Radek comes to his defense. Teyla and Radek go into the wall to look for the conduit. Wow, I've never seen a 'crawl space' where you could stand up. They split up, Teyla going one way, Radek going the other. Radek finds it first. He approaches to take some readings and is attacked by it. He cracks his head on the floor when it pulls his feet out from under him. Teyla to the rescue! Awwww. Oh no! Radek is bleeding.

Carson is examining Radek while Woolsey is questioning him. Teyla suggests pulling the ZPM. They figure out that it is using Jennifer as its brain. Carson has a virus ready. He calls it a phage. Now, who to test it on?

All three boys are in John's room. Are their rooms connected? Or just near enough that the quarantine doesn't matter? Woolsey says that if no one can get close enough to give Jennifer the shot then someone will have to shoot the iso room with drones.

John offers to be the test subject. They tie him down because Carson is expecting a severe reaction. When Carson tells him it comes from Michael and as far as they know it could...John interrupts with 'Turn me into a bug? Been there, done that [got the damn t-shirt].' And Carson responds with 'No, actually I was going to say it could... kill you.' He tells John it might take a few minutes so just try to relax. John says 'Oh, okay, I'll just...I'll just relax' in the most sarcastic voice ever. Rodney asks Carson if it's true that Lorne and some of the others are experience symptoms and Carson says yes. Rodney tells him that his palms are very sweaty, his mouth is dry and he's having heart palpitations. Carson responds with 'So nothing out of the ordinary, then?' making Rodney frown. John has a reaction to the virus and it is very violent.

They pull the plug on the ZPM. Did Woolsey make a city-wide announcement first?

John crashes but just like with Keller after just a few seconds of CPR he's back. I'm sure he's thinking 'Been here, done this, too'.

Now, who to give Jennifer the shot? Carson, Ronon and Rodney all offer. Carson can't because of his condition, Ronon is also turned down so Rodney says, in a monotone, 'He doesn't trust us because we're still infected.' Obviously they know they're not contagious because they're out in the open with a bunch of people. They eventually settle on Ronon as the hero this week. Woolsey tells him to be careful. John thinks this going to go bad. Fast. So he takes an extra shot and runs out of the infirmary. Hm, guess thet were still under quarantine because Rodney says something about it but John reminds him he's cured. Ronon's way is blocked by something that looks like an eardrum. He shoots his way through and is instantly attacked by The Thing That Would be a Hive ship.

John talks to The Thing. It has taken over Jennifer's mind and is trying to kill Ronon. John takes a jumper to save Jennifer. Why the frell is the iso chamber so far from the infirmary? I mean the infirmary is in the control tower, right? John takes a gun that was in a lock-box in the jumper and I realize he isn't wearing his. Why isn't he wearing his gun? I love his thigh holster. *takes a moment to drool over the thigh holster* He makes his way to where Jennifer is lying and injects her with the virus. She wakes with a gasp and The Thing attacks him so he prepares to shot but doesn't have to. It's dying.

Back to the infirmary. Ronon can't speak for a few days. John wonders if anyone will notice. Woolsey thanks Carson for helping to save the day but still sends him back to Earth. Woolsey admits he broke at least half a dozen basic security protocols. And John tells him that sometimes you have to break the rules to save the day but Woolsey can't accept that.

to the top

Broken Ties

Tonight's ep is to tie up all the loose ends we had at the end of 'Reunion'. The episode is called 'Brokern Ties' and I think it should have been called 'Betrayal' because...well read the review and see if you agree.

We start with scenes from season 4's Reunion where we found out that three of Ronon's friends were Wraith worshipers. Then go to Teyla and Ronon, who for the first time this season appears to be wearing a wig (yes I know it is a wig but it didn't appear to be one in the other two eps), walking through the woods talking about how Kanaan is having a difficult time adjusting to fatherhood, what man doesn't? Kanaan was spooked by the showers, Ronon finds this funny then Teyla reminds him he once stunned someone named Dr. Gero at his own surprise b-day party. What we're not told is where Ronon and Teyla are and why they're carrying a basket and bag full of produce. Ronon offers to spar with Kanaan and Teyla shoots this down saying 'I need him in one piece for the foreseeable future.' They then walk into the most obvious trap in the universe. Ronon goes down with one stunner blast. The person who shot him pulls back his hood and it's...Tyre, one of Ronon's Wraith worshipping ex-friends.

I'm going to pause a minute to ask how to pronounce his name. Is it pronounced 'Tire' or 'Tier'? I tend to say the latter in my head but just about everyone on the show says the former. Of course these are the same people who mispronounce my family's name on a regular basis. It's Caldwell, btw. Pronounced with a silent 'D'.

I do love the new conference table. SGA-1, minus one member, is talking with Woolsey about finding Ronon. The Daedelus has confirmed that his transmitter is not on that planet. John suggests they ask the Satedan Teyla and Ronon met during Trinity to help them find Ronon. They all jump up to go and Woolsey clears his throat. They stop and turn back. John puts his hands on his hips and tells himself to play nice with The Man then, as politely as possible while being disgusted by the bitter taste in his mouth, asks Woolsey for permission to go find his lost team member. I wanna know why the head of the military has to ask for permission to leave? Anyway, Woolsey is at his most annoying. He makes them wait while he flips pages in his ever present binder, then sighs a heavy, put-upon sigh, and says 'You have a go'. He asks Teyla if she'll be going along because she hasn't requested a return to active duty and John's all 'Of course she's returning' and she's all 'I have yet to decide'. You can see how hard this is for her. Woolsey allows her to go along for the ride and the team exits the room. The doors automatically, or maybe John asks them to, close behind them leaving Woolsey trapped in the conference room with no way out. He approaches the doors, they fail to open he falters for a second, backs up tries again, again they won't open, then he begins to wave his arms around looking for the sensor. I wanted to hear him call out for help.

Ronon comes to tied to a chair calling for Teyla. Tyre tells Ronon that they're brothers not enemies. Ronon's all 'I don't think so, dude. Why should I forgive you?' and Tyre's all 'I was trying to help you.' Tyre uses the old 'I'm here to open your eyes to the truth of the ways of the Wraith' and Ronon, who isn't really buying it, says 'Okay, just untie me'. Tyre, proving he's not as dumb as he looks, says 'Would that be before or after you kick the shit outta me?' Ronon tells him to choose, or better yet 'why don't I just surprise you?' Tyre tries to bring him around by bringing up old memories.

SGA-1 has found Solen Sincha passed out on a table. John drops his 9 mm on the table right in front of his face, gaining our heroes his undivided attention. They tell him Ronon's in trouble and Solen is 'What else is new?' They find out that Tyre is most likely going through withdrawal. But of course no one says that because then Keller wouldn't be able to discover it later, and would therefore have no reason to actually be in the episode.

Ronon finds out for himself that Tyre is no longer a 'proud Wraith worshipper'. Ronon tries to get Tyre to let him help him detox and is told 'help is already on the way'. Cue the menacing footsteps from just off camera. And in walks a Wraith and two Drones. Tyre is looking like the deer in the headlights. Or that he's hopelessly in lurve with this particular Wraith, who does have a decent wig.

Wraith guy, do they have names? Maybe I should take a page from John's book and assign them names. I'll call this one Bucky. He has a major overbite. Anyway, he's gloating over having Ronon tied to a chair, and really who wouldn't?, and tells him he's been looking forward to the day when Ronon would serve him. Ronon's all 'Over my dead and cold body'. Actually he said 'Well, then, I'm gonna feel real bad disappointing you.' but you know he won't. Bucky's all 'Go ahead and try', has this guy been watching James Bond movies?, 'but in the end you'll come around.' Oh, will he now?

Teyla approaches Woolsey in Elizabeth's office to talk about her position on the team. Woolsey tells her to take all the time she needs. He can assign someone to take her place, if need be. She then begins to try to explain to him what every working mother goes through after the birth of a child. She asks him if he has kids. He says no but he did have a Yorkie once. Teyla of course has no frame of reference for this and he explains it's a small dog. His wife got it in the divorce, 'I loved that dog. Never really had the chance to say good-bye.' I think I'm starting to like him. Teyla talks about how she felt being asked to join John's team and now she has to make an even harder decision. Woolsey shows us he is human by saying he knows how priorities can change. He will except whatever decision she makes and tells her that he's sure Kanaan will support her no matter what. I had heard a rumor about a regular cast member leaving this season and, despite that person saying it won't be Rachel, I'm starting to think it might be her.

Then we go to a shot of an aged Ronon being brought back. Ronon is still fighting it. He says he'll die before he submits and Bucky's all 'no, you won't' and goes back in for another round.

Now we're back on Atlantis where Rodney has just entered the mess hall where the catering staff has yet to remove the lids from today's meal. He looks longing at them before seeing John all by his lonesome at a table. We discover it's morning on Lantea and Rodney thinks it's earlier than it is. He didn't sleep because he was thinking about his missing boyfriend. He tells John he's been pacing, snacking, bathing. John's all 'Oooo. Wet nekked Rodney McKay. Now my day's complete.' Rodney tells him that Archimedes came up with a theory in the tub. John's all 'You mean like the Greek scientist who had a crush on Teyla?' Took me a while to realize he was talking about one of Rodney's minions. Rodney goes on about how relaxing can help the 'a-ha' moment come and John's all 'I'm not taking a bath with ya' even though we all know they do so on a regular basis. Rodney actually seems to be insulted by this. They settle down and go over what they know. Lorne! He has a new uniform. And he knows where they just might be holding Ronon.

Tyre's still trying to get Ronon to 'come to the dark side'. Ronon knows that Tyre has been cut off from the Wraith and is using him to get back in his 'god's' good graces. Tyre says 'no' as if anyone would believe it. Ronon tells him he is no longer the man he risked his life for and is a traitor to the memory of their people and has no honor. Bucky comes in and says it's taking too long. He has an appointment at the orthodontist's to get his overbite fixed and if he misses it it'll take forever to get another one. Tyre is all 'I need my fix!' Bucky's all 'I don't think so.' And tries to kill Tyre by throwing him against a wall.

SGA-1, minus Teyla and Ronon, along with several Marines and Lorne, head out. As John's walking to the gate he says 'We'll get him' Woolsey's all 'See that you do, Colonel' and actually seems to be worried about the safety of our heroes.

We then get the first wormhole effect of the season; I think it's totally cool even as I know that since wormhole travel happens almost instantly you won't see anything. They come out on a planet at night and immediately separate. They discover there's nothing there. Rodney's his usual pessimistic self and says he knew this would happen. John wants to GibbsSmack his Mate but refrains. Just barely. Lorne calls on the radio to say he found something, to which Rodney says 'I knew it!'. The something in question being the room where Ronon was being held and the half dead Tyre. Mmmm. Love me some Air Force pilots carrying P90's.

Keller, Rodney and John are standing over Tyre's bed. Here's the only reason Keller's in this ep: to tell us he's going thru withdrawal, which everyone should have guessed by now. As they leave the infirmary Teyla comes running up all pissed off because John didn't try to find her before they went looking for Ronon this last time. Rodney and Keller beat a hasty retreat, it's taquito Tuesday. John's all flustered over her anger. He tells her to not put this off on him. She needs to make up her mind if she's on the team or not. He's not going to hunt her down and ask if she wants to come along each time there's a mission. And again Teyla is in the company of millions of working mothers everywhere: to work or not to work. John informs her that Woolsey is pressuring him to name a replacement. He tells her he understands if she wants to stay home and cuddle little Torren John but she really needs to make her decision.

Ronon tells Bucky that he'll die before he'll turn just like Marika and Hemi. Bucky tells him they died because they're bodies were too weak.

Now we get a scene of Tyre detoxing. Keller tells us he broke through some restraints and injured two guards so she moved him to iso. Is that the same room she was in last week? We discover that sedatives will slow down his recovery and John says 'Keep him away from the good drugs'. Now we cut between scenes of Tyre detoxing and Ronon being addicted to the Wraith enzyme. Jason's hair is looking more and more like a wig. Why couldn't TPTB just let him cut his hair? He's still very hawt with the short locks.

And now we see some family scenes with Teyla, Torren John and Kanaan. Kanaan can't believe Teyla got Torren John to sleep with no trouble. She says he's a nervous father and 'maybe' he can sense that. Maybe? Trust me. The kid can sense when someone's nervous. Kanaan counters with 'And maybe he prefers the comfort of his mother's presence.' To which Teyla replies that maybe there will be times he will have to learn to do without. Again we get the argument against working mothers. Kanaan tells her that what she does is for the greater good but he calls Torren John her son.

Tyre is now awake and asking to speak to John. He offers to help them get Ronon back so long as he's allowed to go too. I smell yet another trap. This man may be done detoxing but he is still an addict and will do whatever he can to get more.

And now Bucky is giving someone their motto 'No retreat in the face of battle; no sympathy for the fallen; no mercy for our enemies' and it's Ronon! Seriously, who didn't see this coming?

John and Woolsey are in the hall talking about Tyre. John's blind as to why Tyre wants to help. He's putting his own feelings of failure with Ford on Tyre's desire to get near his 'god' again. Teyla comes sneaking around the corner holding the baby. You just know she's eavesdropping all over the place while using Torren John's need of movement to lull him to sleep as an excuse. Anyway, she approaches and asks what's going on. Then demands to go too. She hands Torren John to Woolsey who's all 'Oh, God. It's a baby!' Torren John then begins to scream his head off, proving that yes babies can sense when someone is uncomfortable in their presence. Woolsey then runs around franticly looking for the mess so he can pass Torren John off to his father.

Wraith super secret hideout. Two drones go down. Another gets a knife in the forehead. Lorne, John and Teyla place C-4 all over the place. Tyre then has my Spidey Sense tingling by asking if John has a means of safe detonating from a distance. Colonel Stuipdhead tells him how to use the detonator. The Wraith have transporters just like on Atlantis! Looking for Ronon and who do we run into? Ronon! Now John's Spidey Sense is tingling. And then Bucky comes out and says 'About time you got here. The punch is warm and the ice cream melted'. Bucky stands behind Ronon showing just how brave he really is and then Tyre shows his colors by taking Teyla hostage. Ronon knocks John out with a swift right to the nose. Rodney shows he hasn't been taking notes the past four seasons by saying he doesn't think they'll be able to escape. John whips out his portable DVD player and shows him that they can do it.

Ronon tries to get Bucky to not kill his friends, thereby showing he's not as into him as Bucky thinks he is.

We have an 'a-ha' moment from Rodney. But his plan has holes and John plans on driving a truck right through them. Tyre shows up to tell John that he's been summoned. What is he? A dog? Or is this an interview for a job? Or maybe Bucky has a time-share he wants SGA-1 to buy into. Bucky tells John to kneel. John counters with 'Why don't you kneel for once. I left my kneepads at home and at my age it just kills me to kneel for any length of time' earning him a foot from Tyre to the back of his knees. Bucky's wig is starting to melt in the heat of the lights. Or maybe he just had a rough night. Ya know, his braces hurting after being tightened by the orthodontist and all that.

Bucky reaches out to touch someone, er, sorry. Bucky reaches out to feed from John and his hand gets cut off. And now Tyre does his double-double cross. Him and Ronon fight with swords. John finds two pistols. Where the frell did he get two guns from? Rodney frees Lorne and his men. John continues to shoot the drones. It takes three stunner blasts to knock Ronon out. John asks Rodney how it's going. Now is not the time to practice your pick-up lines, John. Rodney says 'Not so good' then proves what a Brave Little Toaster he is by covering his Mate's back. John grabs another pistol and demands Bucky tell his minions to back off. Bucky says his life will be a small price to pay for killing SGA-1. Tyre shows he was paying attention earlier and pulls the detonator from John's pants pocket, how did John manage to not have that taken away when the drones carried him off? And threatens Bucky with the destruction of his super secret hideout along with all its research. What research? This is the first I've heard of this place being a research facility. Bucky proves that even Wraith have a sense of survival. Tyre offers to stay behind to make sure SGA-1 gets out alive. John knows Tyre will not be leaving. That he's planning something. Tyre thanks Bucky for turning his back on him. Bucky's Spidey Sense is telling him Tyre is about to do something really nasty and starts babbling about forgiveness. Saying it's not too late. Tyre replies 'Yes it is. For both of us.' Then flips the switch and blows the place to smithereens.

Keller proves just how bad a researcher she is by not reading Carson's notes about when Ronon was addicted to the enzyme before and telling Woolsey she has no idea how long it'll take him to detox but when he comes down, he'll come down hard. No! Really? John wants to talk to Ronon. As if that'll help. Ronon demands to either be killed or let go. I'm glad the writers are showing how detox really looks, although I'm not too sure about the restraints. You just know this is all eating John up inside.

Scenes of Ronon begging to die. Teyla and John are fighting back tears. So am I at this point. Rodney is sitting at his boyfriend's bedside, talking to him. Well since his other boyfriend was sent back to Earth, and the therapist was killed off last season, he has to talk to someone. First thing Ronon says upon waking? 'Sheppard?' When Rodney realizes he's awake he asks 'how do you feel?' Ronon says he wants to hit someone. Rodney is obviously upset, they must have had a nasty argument before all this happened, and asks 'anyone in particular?' Ronon says 'you if you don't loosen these straps and get me something to eat.' Rodney's all giddy that Ronon doesn't remember their argument but is upset that he thinks he's the one in charge. He runs from the room telling everyone he's back.

Woolsey, Keller, John and Teyla (where's Rodney?) are in the conference room discussing Ronon's recovery. John's coffee is either cold or not the stuff from Earth if the face he's making is anything to go by. Woolsey says 'I think I'll go slip into something more comfortable' and makes for the doors before anyone can lock him in again. Oh, Rodney was sitting just off camera as we discover when he shoulders his way past Woolsey so he can go cuddle with his boyfriend in the infirmary.

Teyla asks John if they can talk and the two go off together. We don't get this scene but you just know she's telling him she wants back on the team. Cut to Woolsey's quarters where he's drinking a glass of wine while listening to classical music and wearing a suit and tie. He finds his current attire relaxing? Teyla makes her return to active duty official by telling Woolsey. He's all for that and goes off to drink his wine while listening to his music.

Cut to Teyla's room where Kanaan has finally mastered the art of holding a baby without making it cry.

And then we get what every David Hewlett fan has been waiting for: Rodney in the bath! He likes tons of bubbles. His bathroom has a TV, I think, it could be a computer monitor but why have one on the wall? On the table/counter behind him he has his tabletPC which he grabs as a thought comes to him.

John goes to see Ronon in the infirmary and gives him his sword. I'm taking this as John's manly way of saying 'no hard feelings, buddy'. Ronon pulls the sword from its scabbard, lays it across his chest over his heart and closes his eyes.

to the top

The Daedalus Variations

We open with a very nice shot of the city. John and Rodney are talking about how Rodney thinks Teyla is hiding Torren John from him. Right in front of them is Zelenka and Lorne! I love those two. We find out that Rodney dropped Torren John once. Rodney says he jumped, John says he couldn't have (ya know, since he isn't even rolling over yet) and Rodney counters with 'well, he wiggled outta my arms.' He said he was sorry and he insists he couldn't have done that much damage since he only fell a couple of feet. He tells John he was dropped like a dozen times when he was a kid. Despite not liking kids this is really bothering Rodney. He says it's the principle of the matter; everyone else gets to hold him.

Chuck tells John there's a ship in orbit. It just appeared in orbit, no hyperspace window, no nothing. Rodney says the I.F.F. (I wish someone would explain what those letters mean) is for the Daedalus. But the Daedalus is on its way back to Earth. John tries to talk to them but gets no response. Rodney tells us that that's because there are no life signs.

Our heroes are on their way to the Daedalus on a jumper and Chuck tells them that SGC has confirmed that the real Daedalus is in the Milky Way and is scheduled to be in orbit over Earth in two days. Teyla suggests that maybe it's one of the other ships. Rodney says that wouldn't explain why they're getting the Daedalus' I.F.F. and no life signs.

Pausing here to make a plea to TPTB: Let Ronon lose his dreads! Please! Jason has stated time and again that they're frelling heavy; in fact he says the wig is heavier than his real hair ever was. He cut them because they were so heavy! Trust me when I say that Ronon can still be Ronon without the dreads. Thank you.

So they do a slow fly-by under the ship and discover a ton of scorch marks. Rodney then detects an energy reading from inside the ship. He performs his tech mojo and they're inside the F-302 bay, where there's an extra jumper. Apparently the Daedalus doesn't usually have a jumper. John sends Ronon and Rodney off to the engine room while he and Teyla head to the bridge. John says 'no bodies in here' like he really expected to find some despite apparently not finding any on the way. I say 'apparently' because they never mention if they stopped by sickbay before heading to the actual bridge or not. Nor do they mention if they saw any in the halls. But anyway, the bridge is dead. No power in any of the stations. Teyla finds the plaque that was made when the ship was christened. The power comes on and John says 'McKay, is that you?', in a voice that's as bored as I am right now, as if he expected someone else to be playing with the ship's systems. Rodney responses 'Of course it was me. Who else would it be? You think we have a ghost on board or something?' right before a noise from behind startles him. Turns out it was just Ronon kicking a chair or something. Teyla finds the ship's log. When did she learn how to work computers like an Earth native? We discover that this Daedalus is from a different reality. The commander is a woman. Caldwell will not be happy about that. And we now know what happened to the crew. They beamed down to a planet that is similar to Earth.

The energy reading begins to spike. Lorne! He seriously needs more screen time. In fact I wouldn't mind if he became a regular. Now we have tremors. How can there be an earthquake if they're in space? Oh, wait, maybe it's a spacequake! (sorry, just trying to make it more enjoyable) There's a bright flash of light and the Daedalus disappears from Lantean (this is what I call the planet since the writers refuse to name it) orbit. Our heroes find out that they're no longer where they should be. Lorne is appropriately worried for his Sire/CO/clan leader.

Rodney discovers that the energy reading is in a hold on deck nine. Everyone heads down there leaving Rodney alone in engineering. And Rodney realizes that it's an AU drive just as John, Teyla and Ronon discover their dead counterparts.

Rodney tells our heroes that their counterparts died because they ran out of supplies while the ship jumped from reality to reality. John's not impressed. Ronon finds the blast doors that hide the drive. It looks like a warp core from Star Trek. Teyla and Ronon go in search of supplies. We find out that Teyla is still feeling guilty for leaving Torren John.

And again I pause to gag over how ugly Ronon is with that stupid wig. Please, please, please let him cut his hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rodney's ego is big enough for him to feel proud about the McKay from the original reality building the AU drive.

We find out that the reason Teyla seems to know what she's doing is because she does. Major Marks (have no idea who he is) offered to teach both Teyla and Ronon about the systems but Ronon refused.

And we now find out that the possibility of them just jumping back to their reality is 'slim to none'. Teyla detects another ship in orbit. It's one we've never seen before. It begins to attack the Atlantis in this reality and of course John just has to interfere. The new bad guys return fire and several of their fighters attack. One crashes into the Daedalus. Teyla doesn't know how to stop atmosphere from venting. Rodney has a way to get out of this firefight but it could lead to their death. John doesn't care.

They jump...out of the frying pan and into the fire, almost literally. They're in orbit over a red giant.

Rodney is now out of ideas. He's not sure he can save them. His idea is to transfer as much power as possible to the shields while he fixes the sub-light engines. Ronon wanders off, as he is apt to do, and discovers that one of the aliens from the previous reality has made it on board. This alien is much scarier to me than a Wraith. Ronon shoots his stun-gun to get John's attention. John has a moment of panic, just like a parent that has taken their eyes off their child for a second and then notices that the kid isn't where he's supposed to be. He goes in search of his errant boyfriend.

I'm gonna pause here to admire Rodney's biceps. *drools* He's taken off his tact vest and jacket and is working in just his t-shirt...his tight black t-shirt.

Teyla keeps him on task and John shows up to save Ronon from the funky looking alien. This guy is grey and has a red spot on the left side of his forehead that is blinking. It takes a full P90 clip and several shots from Ronon's stunner to take it down. John notices that it must be from the ship from the previous reality. Ronon notices the guy's gun. He pulls it from its holster and fires it. It looks an awful lot like Ronon's only the blast is green. John of course wants to 'play' with it too but before he can another alien shows up. Teyla is still trying to help Rodney get more power to the AU drive. She gives him all she can and says 'That's it. That's all of them. I must go help Colonel Sheppard and Ronon. Good luck, Rodney.' I want to know when she started calling John 'Colonel Sheppard' again. Especially since her son is named after him. Rodney won't let her go. The drive's only charged to 70%. They need more power! He tells her to drop the shields. He's starting to panic! She does as asked and the drive only jumps to 98%. Finally...it clicks to 99 then 100! They jump and John and Ronon finally kill the second alien. And we find out that the drive is almost burnt out.

Rodney now has a way of putting the drive in reverse. They begin returning to the realities they've already visited. John surprises me by not sitting in the commander's chair. Rodney begins trying to fix the sub-light engines and nearly kills himself. Teyla manages to shut it down and suggests 'Perhaps a separate diagnostic of the auxiliary system would be useful.' Rodney is impressed. Rodney informs her that he's not going to let this be her first and last mission back.

They jump back to the reality with the funky aliens.

First time I've laughed all night. Ronon and John are trying to shoot down the enemy fighters. Ronon gets frustrated because he can't hit what he's shooting at. John says 'Easy, Chewie. Those buttons are your friends. Just keep trying.' Ronon replies 'I'm trying!' Someone needs to take up mediation. Or get a relaxing massage.

Now the sub-lights are gone for good. Atlantis is helping to fight the aliens. With F-302's. Why not jumpers? Now Sheppard and Sheppard get to talk. And John pulls out his I-maniac card and says 'Oh, crap!' when one of the alien fighters makes it past the F-302's. Now John gets to stroke his own ego by telling 'Sheppard' that he's 'a man of integrity, a dedicated commander, and very skilled pilot.' Sheppard was going to say the same to John. They jump to the first reality they jumped to.

They head down to the hanger bay with Rodney in the lead. He opens a door and gets shot by one of those freaky aliens. He starts screaming 'Ow! I got shot!' John and Ronon take out the guy who shot their boyfriend. The dead alien has a grenade-like thing. They lock him behind the bulkhead. Unfortunately for our heroes the explosion caused a hull breech and the jumper was in that section of the ship.

Back in our reality Lorne is being informed that a ship has appeared but it's too far out for them to read the I.F.F. Lorne calls everyone with a PhD 'Doc'. I love it! The ship jumps while Lorne and Radek are watching. But there are four life signs. It's SGA-1 in EVA suits.

In the infirmary John is playing some kind of hand-held game while keeping Rodney company. Teyla comes in carrying Torren John and asks Rodney how his shoulder is. He first says it's pretty bad but better. Teyla asks if he wants to hold Torren John. John tells Rodney to not drop him. Torren John proves he trusts Rodney by not crying while being held. Teyla says she thinks Rodney will make an excellent father some day. John beats a hasty retreat saying that thought scares him. Teyla takes Torren John back for a very nervous Rodney.

to the top

Ghost in the Machine

We open on a shot of the rings around a planet. A jumper comes into view. Inside the jumper our heroes are talking about some creature they just encountered on the planet. John thinks it looked like a flying monkey. Rodney took a picture but you can't tell what it is.

[pause] Jason's wig is starting to look worse every episode. Would someone please take pity on the poor boy and let him not wear it anymore? [/pause]

They've decided the planet will make a good site for an off-world base. John tells Rodney to dial the gate. Before they can approach it proper the jumper experiences some power problems. John has lost control of the jumper and can't keep from hitting the gate. We now have canon evidence that the gates can keep themselves in orbit with thrusters.

The jumper has been knocked off course and is spinning in space. As Rodney gets all panicky over not having power some of the systems are restored. With a shower of sparks from the rear compartment, all power is restored. John calls Atlantis and tells them they're in trouble and if they haven't arrived in 10 seconds to send a jumper. Chuck says 'Copy that Colonel.' I like Chuck the gate tech.

Back in the city Woolsey is asking John if any other jumpers are experiencing the same things and John says no. Woolsey then asks about the planet and is told about the flying monkeys.

Pausing to mention something that is starting to bug me: the way David tends to breathe through his teeth. I had a teacher who used to do that and I find it very irritating.

John enters the jumper bay to find Radek and Rodney working on the jumper. According to Radek the jumper is in perfect condition. As Radek and Rodney start arguing, John starts backing slowly away. Radek walks off muttering under his breath.

Woolsey is absorbed in a datapadd and walks into a transporter that drops him on an isolated balcony. He tries to call for help but communications are down.

As John's walking down a hallway the lights start to flicker. He thinks it's something Rodney's doing. Rodney says 'it's not me'. Radek comes in and him and Rodney have one of those half-conversations I love. You know what I'm talking about; where one starts a question that is answered by the other before it's finished being asked.

John runs into the control room to tell Rodney about the 'bolt of lightning' that tried to take him out in the hallway. Radek says he doesn't think that what's happening in the city is a coincidence. Chuck chimes in with 'We just lost power to the gate'. Rodney stresses that there is no way the anomaly jumped from the jumper to the city's systems just as a monitor off to his right explodes.

Night has fallen and Woolsey comes limping into the gate room. John asks where he's been and Woolsey replies 'On the other side of the city. Transporter malfunctioned and sent me to the east pier. I had to walk all the way back.' Um, guys? You had him on an isolated balcony. There was no way for him to get off it except through the transporter, which begs the question: why does a transporter go to that particular balcony? Woolsey makes Chuck give up his seat so he can sit down and take off his shoes and rub his feet. John and Rodney are telling Woolsey that they think that whatever was wrong with the jumper is what's wrong with the city. Rodney says it's one of several possibilities and Radek's like 'Several?' and Rodney counters with 'It's a possibility'. Obviously Radek is positive that the problems with the jumper are what's wrong with the city. Everyone - Woolsey - seems very concerned with the fact that they can't dial Earth. Then everything shuts down and everyone is in the dark; literally. Woolsey begins to make plans to keep everyone calm just as Rodney's laptop comes on. John says that maybe it's running on the battery but Rodney says it's taking power from the system. Woolsey says skeptically 'So everything's out except your computer?' Rodney takes offence at that. Then some letters appear on the screen. The message? 'help'. Rodney types 'who are you?' and gets 'Elizabeth Weir' in response.

Everyone is confused. Woolsey tells Rodney to answer and he asks 'Where are you?' Elizabeth responses 'computer'. Then 'difficult' and 'current condition'. Rodney asks 'what happened to you?' Elizabeth: 'subspace' (which makes me think of something else entirely) 'difficult control' and 'trying to' then the lights come back on. Rodney asks if she did that and she says a bunch of non-sense. He then asks if she's still there and gets no response other than 'help me'.

Rodney has created a patch of sorts to help them communicate better with the entity and keep it somewhat contained so that it doesn't affect so many of their systems. Woolsey expresses some concerns about the danger of combining all those systems but Rodney tells him it's not as dangerous as allowing it to roam free.

I'm not going to write an in-depth paragraph of the conversation they have with 'Elizabeth' because I can't stand the voice they use. Just suffice it to say that the team is told that the Replicators tried to ascend and didn't succeed. In fact they failed miserably. They wandered the galaxy looking for a 'home' and spent some time in Wraith tech before 'Elizabeth' made a break for it and found her way to Atlantis. She swears that the others don't know where she is and begs the team to help her. She wants to make a body, Woolsey says no, John suggests they put her in a VR like they did with Ava. Radek announces that there are energy readings in the replicator lab and Ronon shows how smart he is by stating the obvious 'She's building herself a body'.

Everyone heads down there and a Marine says that the door just slammed shut and the panel's not working. While they're all trying to figure out what to do, the door opens and FRAn is standing there. She says 'hello' and I love that her first word here is the last word she spoke the last time we saw her.

'Elizabeth' is trying to convince everyone that she is who she says she is.

Rodney's feeling guilty and wants to 'fix' the current mess. Woolsey isn't going to allow it.

Teyla goes to see 'Elizabeth' and they have awkward girl talk. I used to think they were good friends but now I'm not so sure.

The other replicators have 'found' her.

Rodney's going to pull the ZPM if necessary. He's decided to write a program that'll stop them from damaging too many systems.

John doesn't believe that the other replicators just happened to find 'Elizabeth' and goes to confront her. She swears she didn't betray the Atlanteans. He tells her to tell them to stay away but he's too late.

Radek's in the ZPM room with this episode's 'red-shirt' and decides to pull the ZPM when he can't raise Rodney on the radio.

Someone named Koracen has made contact. 'Elizabeth' tries to get them to leave but they want bodies. Woolsey says 'no way, no how' and Koracen replies 'You gave one to 'Elizabeth'. Koracen then says they don't want to hurt anyone but John's pissed that he lost a man today and tells him to stuff his 'we come in peace' crap. Koracen demands they replace the control crystal in the Ancient machine so they can make their own bodies and Woolsey asks 'And if we don't?' Koracen responds by starting to sink the city. There's a shot of one of the piers and what appears to be a Blackhawk helicopter.

We see a couple of Marines trapped in a hallway that's steadily filling with water. Woolsey tells 'Elizabeth' to send Koracen a message. She says they must be screening their calls because they won't answer her. Woolsey says he wants to tell them to go ahead and sink the city; kill everyone inside. That way they'll definitely get what they want. She does as requested and tells Woolsey that they refuse to stop. He says 'Fine. Then we'll all die together' and turns away from her. You can see his bluff in his face and I can almost hear him praying 'please don't let them call my bluff.' John knows Woolsey is bluffing too but he has a better poker face. Finally the city begins to stabilize. The relief Woolsey feels is tangible.

'Elizabeth' suggests they allow her and the others to take replicator bodies so they can make human bodies. Everything within me is screaming 'Don't let them do it!' but of course they allow it.

'Elizabeth' enters the lab and Rodney activates the force shield. Woolsey arrives to monitor the progress and finds Ronon standing watching at the window. He tells Ronon he doesn't have to stay and is told 'I'm good, thanks'. Rodney replies 'Talk, talk, talk. That's all he does. You can't shut him up' pulling a chuckle and tiny smile from Woolsey.

Much later, Rodney has fallen asleep and Ronon is watching the replicators. One of them looks directly into the camera and all power shuts off. Ronon tries to keep the replicator from escaping and gets tossed aside like a ragdoll.

We find out that only the one replicator has escaped. 'Elizabeth' has gone after him. John tells his Marines to shoot to kill saying 'Shoot 'em. Keep shooting. They'll go down eventually.' One of the replicators reminds him that they didn't escape when they had the chance. Doesn't that mean they're good? John revises his orders to 'Shoot if they move so much as an inch'. He then goes in search of Koracen and 'Elizabeth'.

Radek asks Rodney what he can do to help and is told to stay out of Rodney's way and to be quiet.

John finds Koracen and 'Elizabeth' and finds out that 'Elizabeth' knew of Koracen's plans from the beginning. 'Elizabeth' destroys Koracen. Woolsey agrees to let them continue with their plans. 'Elizabeth' says 'thanks, but no thanks'. She decides to take the replicators and leave. While walking to the gate they all talk about the agreement and what they are and are not allowed to do. The others are unsure of stepping through the gate so 'Elizabeth' goes first. She then tells the others that it's safe to step through. We see that they're not stepping onto a planet but are in fact stepping through a space gate. Rodney reconfigured the dialing program and ends the episode by saying 'I guess that answers the question as to whether it was really Elizabeth.' It took me a while to figure out he meant that it was indeed Elizabeth Weir because she sacrificed herself for the sake of Atlantis.

to the top

The Shrine

We open with a recording of Jennifer trying to get Rodney to say something to the camera. At this point it's unclear, to me at least, why they're doing this, although there is a day stamp in the corner (which is partially obscured by the Sci-fi Channel logo) that says Day 15 (I think, like I said it's covered somewhat by a logo). David shows us, yet again, what a wonderful actor he is. I actually believe that he has reverted to childhood, or may even be borderline retarded if his speech patterns are anything to go by. When Jennifer presses him to say who he is and what he does for a living and where they are he gets agitated and calls out for John. The part of me that loves John/Rodney is dancing in joy while the rest of me is tearing up at how lost and alone Rodney looks here.

One of the things that really tugs my heart-strings is when asked to say his name he says 'Mr. Rodney McKay' and when Jennifer corrects him he says that only doctors are smart and since he's not smart anymore he's no longer a doctor. You can hear the tears in Jennifer's voice as she tries to keep him from getting upset.

(Gonna pause here to interject some humor which is probably in very bad taste: Rodney says he's not smart anymore and Jennifer tells him that that's what they're trying to fix. He says 'no, you can't fix me' and the first thing I think of every time I hear that line is Ron White's line 'you can't fix stupid'.)

She keeps on and he starts calling for John. The playback is paused and we see Jeanie watching it while trying to not break down in tears. Jeanine turns on John and Woolsey demanding to know why she wasn't told the extent of his condition. John says it came on suddenly and she doesn't believe it saying she got a message from him just a couple of weeks ago. She makes the comment about how nice his email was not realizing that that was the clue that something was amiss with her brother. Jennifer says that the email in question was right around the time of infection and she didn't recognize the signs in time. John tries to comfort her by saying it wasn't her fault. Woolsey tells Jeanie that they contacted her as soon as they realized how serious everything was and the Daedalus dropped her off at the first gate in the Pegasus galaxy because they were afraid the ship wouldn't arrive at the city in time. They brought her to Atlantis to say her good-byes.

Jennifer is trying to get Rodney ready to see Jeanie. She asks how he got sick and we get a flashback. The team is heading out to check in on a science team that is late checking in. Woolsey has them checking in every six hours and the camp is only 30 minutes away from the gate. John thinks that Dr. Nichols is just tired of the round trip, I think John's being too harsh on the guy; it's not like the gate is hours from the camp. Checking in would only take an hour, hour and a half tops. Rodney says that Nichols is too arrogant for his own good. My response? Pot, meet kettle.

We have a new gate tech and actually get her name: Amelia. Woolsey says he's going to go get breakfast because it'll take the team some time to get to the camp and then more time to get back to the gate and report and there's really no point…in him telling her all that. You just know she's wishing someone, hell anyone, else was made head of the expedition after Sam was transferred. As he's walking down the stairs he says 'be back in 20 minutes' and an incoming wormhole appears. No IDC is sent and then John says to not lower the shield or the entire tower will be flooded. Woolsey asks for a status update and John says that it's cold and wet, the Stargate's under water and the entire valley is flooded. Rodney chimes in with 'it's freezing!' John wants a jumper so they can stay warm and dry until the water recedes. I want to know how they plan on getting into the jumper if the gate's under water and where they plan on setting down to wait. Woolsey sends a jumper. I don't recognize the voice of the pilot. The water is causing constant pressure that has the gate staying active. They're gonna have to wait the full 38 minutes. John says 'well we're down to 32 and before you say "I told you so" we had no choice'. Not sure what he's talking about. Wonder if we'll get an explanation later, but doubt it. Rodney says he's cold and Ronon says it's because he's letting all the hot air out of his mouth. Ouch, Ronon. I thought you liked the guy. John says they'll be warm and dry soon enough. Rodney isn't so sure. He thinks he got a little wetter than John which has John snarking back 'I don't know. I got a little damp dialing the DHD' John tries to contact the research camp on the radio. Rodney is convinced they're all dead because the camp was at the foot of a glacier and they were studying the effects of global warming. John concludes this means an ice dam broke. Rodney concurs saying the Ancients wouldn't put a gate on a flood plain and he seriously doubts the tide has come in. Nice to see he can still be his usual snarky self even while freezing that perfect heart-shaped ass of his off. Teyla slips into mother mode when Rodney starts sneezing. We get a nice F/X of the flooded valley with our heroes on top of the gate.

Ronon comes through the gate carrying an unconscious Rodney and one has to wonder why they didn't fly the jumper back through. We learn that Rodney slipped into unconsciousness about nine hours ago. Jennifer wants to run tests on everyone and Ronon says 'we're good'. I could have sworn it was SOP to have every gate team checked out upon return from an off-world mission? Woolsey has a proposal of sending a MALP through before every mission and John says 'Stuff happens, Woolsey. And by "stuff" I mean…' Woolsey cuts him off but I think we can all guess what he was going to say. Woolsey then demands to know why SGA-1 didn't return in the jumper and we find out it's because John ordered them to continue looking for Nichols and his team. And now we have canon that says that when Rodney's in the infirmary, John goes to check on him. How much you wanna bet Jennifer has to kick him out?

Rodney appears to be perfectly normal. The writers have got to pay attention to previous episodes because they have Rodney admitting to not eating breakfast. I'm sorry but someone with hypoglycemia would not skip breakfast. Not to mention the fact that we all know that Rodney eats as often as he can, the man loves food. Jennifer wants to keep him for observation.

Back to the present and Jennifer asks if Rodney's ready to see his visitors. Jeanie comes in and Rodney says he remembers that she's his sister and that Meredith is his real name. She says that's right but he never liked it. He says that's because it's a girl's name. She tries to talk with him but it becomes too much and she has to leave the room. Outside, she runs into Ronon who hugs her and tells her about The Shrine.

The day stamp on the recording we open with is Day 6. Rodney says he wants to file a complaint with whoever's idea it was to record his progress and is told it was his idea. He's still mostly upbeat about everything but he can't remember his title and has as hard a time remembering where he is. He wants to say something that he's been wanting to say for some time. When I first watched this I was still crying over his scene with Katie/Jeanie and so wasn't thinking of where the writers might have been going with that. Jeanie interrupts Jennifer's viewing of this clip demanding to know everything that's going on with her 'Mer'. Jennifer tells her that there's a parasite in his brain. They've tried lots of things including stasis. Good news is it doesn't kill brain cells, it just renders them dormant. Jeanie mentions her talk with Ronon and says 'he's dying and there's nothing you can do' to which Jennifer replies 'no, he's dying and I'm doing everything I can to save him'.

Now we get a flashback of the first time Rodney was nice to someone. He offers Jennifer his fruit cup and says something about them almost dating. She counters with 'you bought me one drink, that's hardly dating'. He comes back with 'so now I'm asking you to have dinner with me'.

[pause]It hasn't been long enough since his break-up with Katie for him to be going after Jennifer like this. Especially since she's friends with Katie, or so she said in Trio. I wish the writers would stop trying to shove romantic relationships down the viewers' throats. If I wanted to watch a show where everyone slept with everyone else I wouldn't be watching SGA. Oh, and it hasn't been all that long since Jennifer almost made out with Ronon in the infirmary.[/pause]

The planet The Shrine's on is Wraith occupied. (Jason's wig is really bugging me) Woolsey and Jennifer are against going to The Shrine. Woolsey shows he's human by talking about his father's battle with Alzheimer's. Ronon says he owes Rodney this chance and the part of me that likes Ronon/Rodney is jumping for joy. Ronon and Teyla says they'll take him to the planet on their own. John says they have to make a plan and Jennifer says he's not going anywhere without her permission (this is the part where most fans say she was being selfish and possessive but I see it, and saw it then, as her being a good doctor. There's no telling if he would be able to make the journey or if it actually works).

I love how Rodney retained his memories of John and instinctively turned to him when he was scared.

The team tries to talk Rodney into letting them take him to The Shrine and Jennifer tells him all the bad things that can happen. He doesn't understand and reverts to mumbling Pi.

Back in the present Jeanie plays the next of kin card and says they're taking him to The Shrine.

We finally get to see the first day of monitoring Rodney's decline. One has to wonder how long it took before they figured out he was losing his memory and when he decided to keep a record. We know that Jeanie saw Day 15, it takes roughly 18 days to get from the Milky Way to Pegasus (but she was dropped off at the edge of the galaxy so she could gate to Atlantis and arrive sooner) but what we don't know is how many days/weeks after the underwater gate before anyone noticed something was wrong, how long after that before Rodney decided to start recording his decline and when did they contact Jeanie. I know if it was my brother I'd be ready to leave within minutes of being told he was dying so I'm going to say that Jeanie left Earth the day she was told about this. But since we don't know where in the timeline she was told we have no idea exactly how long she's been in Atlantis, although I have a feeling she arrived late on Day 15 and that's why she was watching that day's recording. I say this because if it was me I'd insist on watching the most recent one first.

Back to the present we see the team heading out for The Shrine. Why is Teyla not wearing her uniform? I get why Ronon's not dressed like John, he never does, but Teyla has a uniform that she wears on off-world missions. Jeanie, Rodney and Jennifer are already on the jumper when the team enters and Ronon makes a rude comment to Jennifer 'I thought you didn't believe'. Makes me wonder if he's bitter about her choosing Rodney over him since we all remember the almost make-out scene between Jennifer and Ronon in Quarantine. Jennifer says she was unaware it was required for her to believe before she could accompany her patient to The Shrine. I wonder if this is Jeanie's first time in a jumper.

A MALP is deployed as a decoy, and per Woolsey's orders, and the team is away.

While on the way to the landing site, John has a flashback of his own. It starts with Rodney running through the halls calling out for John. When John opens the door Rodney starts babbling 'you were there and - and - then he..' When John asks what's wrong Rodney says 'I woke up and everyone had left' (I had to rewind several times and use my CC because David was kinda slurring his words here). I'm thinking there had been a team night in Rodney's quarters and when he fell asleep everyone just slipped out so as to not disturb him. Bad idea, as anyone with a small child can tell you. Always let the sleeper know you've left. If the person is old enough to read, leave a note. Otherwise? Wake them and hope they fall back asleep. This incident scared Rodney into thinking he was very close to the end. John offers to walk him home, I would have loved for him to offer to spoon in his own too-short bed for the rest of the night but I'm not a writer/producer of this show (if I was it wouldn't be able to be shown on Skiffy). Rodney is too scared to go back to sleep so John suggests they just hang out. (I've seen people mention that the clothes John's wearing in the scene are from Joe's actual closet and I do seem to remember seeing the flannel shirt he wears to the pier and the panda shirt he's sleeping in, in convention pictures) When John suggests drinking beer on the pier Rodney asks if he drinks the stuff and John replies 'A lot'. Is he implying that Rodney's an alcoholic? I hope not. I love the mini fridge in John's room. It has at least one six-pack. Someone posted a screen cap of the open fridge and it appears there may be some sports drinks, may be some fruit juice and other things someone like John Sheppard would want to eat/drink in the middle of the night but not want to have to trek down to the mess to get.

I love the scene on the pier. We have always seen in canon where the two of them are great friends and this just reinforces it. I see them as best friends (and yes lovers) and this scene just showcases how much Joe and David really care and like each other. People are always saying The Flan isn't the best actor but I happen to disagree. He's a very subtle actor. He requires lots of close-ups because most of his best acting is in his face/eyes/expressions. He has grown this past season to where he doesn't need as close a shot for us to see the emotion, plus John Sheppard is emotionally constipated so of course Joe isn't going to wear his emotions on his sleeve like David does with Rodney. I'm not sure what the whole 'you're a great friend...Arthur' thing is about but I feel fairly confident when I say that it must be a private joke between them because that is genuine laughter we hear there. Of course I've heard they're always cracking each other up so maybe it was just that one of them had gotten the giggles during the scene and the director decided to keep the actual laughter in.

Back to the present and the look on John's face is not one that a straight man has for his best friend. It's the look of a man in love remembering the good times he's spent with his lover.

Rodney is crying softly and John tries to distract him by having him look at the waterfall. Rodney wants to leave. Jennifer finds some kind of radiation. As Rodney gets closer to the stone tablet in the center of the room he screams in pain and he's back!

Day 10 of the recordings and Rodney has forgotten what his title is. He's getting frustrated. When he's distressed he starts quoting Pi. He then talks about seeing his mother. He doesn't recognize her but feels it must be her. He can't understand the words she says to him. I take this to mean he's starting to lose the part of his brain that recognizes words.

Back to the present. Rodney has no memory of being taken to The Shrine but does remember being ill. Ronon's the one doing all the explaining prompting Rodney to call him Ronon the Explainer. *snicker* Makes me think of Conan the Barbarian.

When Jeanie explains why they're there he doesn't understand. And doesn't like the fact that it's only for one day. He sees what they've done as selfish and it is. He'd said his good-byes and taking him to that place made him think he was better and now he has to except his fate all over again. Jeanie has Jennifer show him the readings and just when he thinks he knows what's going on Jennifer takes the device away and walks him out of the cave. Immediately he screams in pain and is back to how he was when they first arrived. We find out that the radiation from the stone makes the parasite contract in self-preservation. Jennifer thinks it might now be small enough for her to remove it.

There's just a few problems. One, they're on a Wraith occupied planet. Two, taking him back to Atlantis will kill him. John suggests Jennifer use a drill they have in the jumper. I agree with the people who say her reactions here smacks of hesitation that is deadly in another galaxy. What the writers should have done was have her question using something that will be next to impossible to sterilize in their current location.

Rodney's not so sure this can work. This time through I caught something I didn't before. When he expressed his concern about being awake during the operation, Jennifer said she has enough anesthetic to put him out. He mumbles 'yeah, it's probably a hammer'. Not sure how I missed it the first time but there ya go. The old Rodney is back and in true form.

Day 18: we see Rodney saying good-bye to Jeanie, saying he's sorry he was mean to her, Teyla, Ronon Dex and John.

Back to the present and John has become a field medic. When Jennifer made the hole in Rodney's skull the parasite began moving toward it. She turns to Ronon and says they're gonna need his gun. She pulls the grey squid-blob-thingy out, tosses it to the side and Ronon kills it. John says 'you could have stepped on it' and Ronon says 'she told me to shoot it'.

Hm. The look that passes between Ronon and Jennifer as they congratulate each other on a job well done makes me think there might still be a bit of a spark there.

Back in the city and Jeanie is keeping watch over Rodney. Jeanie and Jennifer are talking about how much he can sleep and he says 'who can sleep with all the talking'. Jeanie asks if he's still all there which tells me this isn't the first time he's surfaced. It might be the final time, but I doubt it was the first. If it was there'd be too many questions that he'd need the answers to for him to just casually ask for food.

Closing shot is Jennifer watching Day 6 and Rodney admitting he loves her. He doesn't say in love with her and I don't see it that way. I see it as him loving her as a friend.

to the top

Whispers

I'm not going to do a review of last night's episode. Yes this means I disliked it so much I can't make myself watch it again. I do have a few things to say about it and since they can be considered spoilers, I'll put them under a cut.

The episode opens on a mist shrouded forest and we all know that this will be a very bad episode because nothing good, or entertaining, ever happens in a mist shrouded forest. I was at first very excited to see an all female gate team, until they opened their mouths. Every single one of them, with the exception of Vega, were snotty 'I have to prove I'm better because I don't have a penis' feminists. Now I have nothing against feminists, I consider myself one to some degree, but you could tell that 'Serge' and the Major thought they were better than John because they're female. I'm sorry, but he's your CO. That doesn't make him better than you, just more qualified. 'Serge' is obviously how the writers see strong competent women because she acted like she wished she had a penis. She practically growled each time John told her to stay with Carson and Porter. Then they killed off Vega. For those who know, and/or care, I've made Vega Lorne's Mate in The Soldier and the Scientist and when John finds her she's not quite dead and turns her, with her permission of course. I could see some sexual tension between Carson and Porter but I'm not sure I like it. Porter is played by Ezri Dax from DS9. Ezri was a very timid and nervous character, which was understandable since she wasn't suppose to ever become Dax, and I have a hard time seeing any character Nicole de Boer plays any other way. I really wanted 'Serge', whose name is actually 'Dusty' but John always called her 'Serge', to just go away. I didn't like her from the moment she opened her mouth. I am pissed they killed Vega and not her. Vega is the kind of female military officer I can see in Atlantis; the others, not so much. Although the Major might be okay but I really didn't get any kind of vibe off her.

So as you can see this was not a very good episode, imho. Next week Teyla goes undercover as a Wraith Queen.

to the top

The Queen

I had some pretty high hopes for this episode, after last week it's hard not to, but it fell flat. While The Queen was much better than Whispers it still didn't live up to the first 6 episodes of the season. I am going to do an in depth review only because I can't remember what I wanted to say about Teyla as a Wraith Queen and how annoying Jennifer's 'Gee golly is that a bad guy!? Should I run or scream like a woman?' attitude the writers insist on giving her is, it had better be the writing and not Jewel's acting because if it is her acting skills well let's just say I didn't like her in Firefly and I'm not liking her (so far) on my show.

We open with 'Previously on Stargate Atlantis' flashbacks. We find out something I don't remember ever seeing last season; Michael has made it possible for Wraith to survive without feeding on humans.

So, SGA-1 plus Jennifer (whom I'm going to call Keller from here on out because she annoys me that much) in a jumper out in space to meet Todd. Already Keller looks terrified. Excuse me? She's been in Atlantis for how long now? Either grow a spine or go home! She's amazed at how big the Hive ship is. She says she's never seen one up close. So she wasn't on the mission to The Shrine just a few weeks back? The valley they flew through was lined with several hive ships.

They receive docking instructions from Todd's ship and once inside Keller asks what happens next. Rodney says that if history has taught them anything then this is the part where they get double crossed and taken prisoner. Teyla says that won't happen this time because they were invited. Doesn't make a lick of difference in Rodney's book.

Someone bangs on the hatch door and John approaches with his P90 at the ready.

Todd appears and keeps our heroes from getting shot. We meet Todd's 2IC and let me tell ya he's one ugly Wraith. There's a table in the room that has fruit in a bowl. John makes a comment about it and Todd replies 'I hope they prove as delicious as the farmers who grew them' and Rodney can't drop the pear he's holding fast enough.

We find out that the reason they're on the ship, and why Keller's there too, is because she's modified Carson's retro-virus with help from Michael's experiments and wants to test it on Todd's hive. In other words she wants Todd and his 'people' to be her test subjects to see if Wraith really can live without having to feed on humans.

The Wraith with Todd makes some good points. Their current method of feeding is what allows them to live so long and heal so quickly. Keller says that that may not change. Since there have been no long term studies. Rodney reminds them that they take a risk every time they feed that they'll get tainted 'food' because no one knows how many worlds Michael 'spiked' with the modified Hoffan drug.

Todd leaves the team alone and they discuss how they each feel the meeting is going. Ronon just wants to kill them all, no surprise there. Rodney snarks that 'we've been trying that for four years and they're still here'. John's Spidey Sense is tingling and takes that to mean that Todd's hiding something. Todd returns and agrees. He tells them that they have to convince the queen they call The Primary to have the alliance he has tied himself to that this should be tried. Unfortunately Todd's hive doesn't have a queen. He suggests that Teyla should disguise herself as a queen and talk The Primary into it.

Back in Atlantis. Teyla is in John's room discussing The Plan. All the Teyla/John shippers are squeeing with joy over seeing this. Never mind the fact that she had a baby with another man and that man is now living in the city. I'm disappointed that this discussion didn't take place in Teyla's room with Kanaan present. He's got just as much to lose as she does. Not to mention what about little Torren John? Why hasn't he been mentioned? Why haven't we seen him since what was it? The second episode? Oops. She did mention Torren John. She used him as a reason for her to go through with this.

In the infirmary Keller is still wishy-washy about doing the surgery. I really wish the writers would let her grow a spine! I mean c'mon! She's CMO. That means she's talented. Let the woman have some confidence in her abilities as a doctor, please.

Todd arrives and is met by Ronon. And I must say, yet again!, would someone please, please, please! let Jason stop wearing that horrible wig? It detracts from the pretty that is Jason Momoa. Anyway, Ronon threatens Todd.

Back in the OR. Can someone tell me why Keller feels the need to tell Teyla that Todd won't actually be performing the surgery? I never once thought he would. I mean as far as I know he's not even the Wraith version of a scientist.

The surgery's done and the boys get to see Teyla. She's kinda ugly but then again I think all Wraith are ugly. I want to know why Kanaan and Torren John weren't in the waiting area with the boys. I mean they're her family too, right? Or maybe Kanaan wasn't told about the mission? That would so explain why he never shows up to try and talk the mother of his son out of doing something that could get her killed.

Todd has Teyla sit on the throne and she wiggles into a comfortable position making Todd angry. Excuse me, Todd? She's NOT A WRAITH QUEEN!!!!!! Of course she's gonna be apprehensive. Teyla 'meets' The Primary and is told to make her way to the ship and to not keep her 'waiting again'. When did Teyla keep her waiting? Why can't they explain these throw away lines better? Todd thinks The Primary liked Teyla but she's not so sure.

When Todd and Teyla arrive on The Primary's ship they're greeted by a bald Wraith that reminds me of the Suliban from Enterprise only his skin doesn't look like sand. He immediately orders them to jump to hyperspace.

Ronon doesn't take the news that The Primary's hive has jumped to hyperspace too well. He's acting like a possessive lover.

Teyla's pissed that Todd didn't foresee this happening. He tells her that as long as she continues to play her part everything will be fine. The Primary finally deigns to see them and enters with an aura of boredom about her. Until she sees Todd and takes exception to his presence. Teyla covers quickly and says that he goes where she goes. I think the fake teeth don't fit the actress that's playing The Primary very well because she has yet to speak without having her jaw clenched and she looks uncomfortable with them. When The Primary walks past Todd he pulls a knife and kills her but not before she can raise the alarm.

And now we get to what John said Todd was hiding. He's plan all along had been to kill The Primary and put Teyla and, by proxy, himself in the position of leadership of the alliance.

When Baldy threatens Teyla, Todd steps in front of her. Teyla pulls Todd to his knees and puts the knife at his throat. She tells him if he 'wags his tongue like that again' she'll remove it. They then argue about him not telling her of his plan and she insists on being returned to his ship. He says she can't go just yet.

Back on Todd's ship Ronon is growing restless. John says that Kenny seemed genuinely surprised when The Primary's ship went to hyperspace. Rodney's all like 'who?' and John explains that he named Todd's 2IC Kenny. Rodney thinks they should take a vote for the name of the next one. Ronon and John just ignore him. Rodney wants to leave the ship. Kenny tells them that they now know where Teyla and Todd are and John says 'let's go save the day'.

Back in the other hive. Teyla and Todd are still talking privately when Baldy comes in to tell her that a hive from another alliance is trying to take what isn't theirs. When he first walks in, he hands Teyla a datapadd and Todd asks if he intends for her to read it herself. Todd then has to prompt the man to give Teyla all the necessary details. Teyla demands he send the nearest hive. Only problem is, the hive she's currently on is the nearest one. She doesn't want to leave because she knows the team is on their way. Todd knows that she must go and 'defend' her new hive's feeding grounds.

Back on Todd's ship. John and Ronon have a plan and for once Rodney can't read his boyfriends' minds.

When they arrive at the feeding grounds, Teyla orders the other hive to be destroyed.

Todd figures out that Teyla is doing this to kill as many Wraith as possible.

Back on Todd's ship. They have arrived at the previous location and discover that the hive has left. John says he'll take the jumper and go to the planet where The Primary's hive is because it's faster to go through the gate. When they arrive they discover that there's another hive and they're fighting. Teyla's hive is grossly outgunned. Ronon says they need to do something. Rodney mentions that he and Radek were just discussing a way to reverse engineer the Asgard beaming technology. John perks up at that and Rodney has to burst his bubble and say that they're nowhere near close to actually creating it. John takes the jumper to the opposite side of the other hive from where Teyla and Todd are and helps destroy it.

Baldy is starting to suspect that Teyla is not all she appears to be.

One little quibble. Rodney's using Todd's transmitter to locate him and Teyla. I want to know why he's not using Teyla's to locate her. I coulda sworn that SGA-1, as well as all off-world teams, had been implanted with subspace transmitters for situations such as this.

Our heroes get cornered and then taken prisoner. I love how it always takes several shots from the Wraith stunners before Ronon actually goes down. Teyla appears and tells them to not try to escape and to let her play her role. As she walks away we see that Baldy was eavesdropping.

Baldy confronts Teyla and tries to kill her. She defends herself admirably. Todd then comes in to save her. He calls John 'Colonel Sheppard', Ronon he calls 'Ronon' and Rodney is called 'Dr. McKay'. Guess it would be odd if he called Ronon 'Specialist Dex' since no one else calls him that. But why can't he call John 'John' and Rodney 'Rodney'?

Teyla tells the members of the hive that Todd is her spokesman in her absence. Todd tells Teyla that he thinks they should wait before suggesting the gene therapy. Teyla is afraid, as am I, that he's going to renege. We all know that Todd actually serves Todd and no one else. Teyla makes me proud by threatening to have Todd removed if he some much as puts one toe wrong. He actually looks nervous at that.

Back in Atlantis. When John enters Teyla's recovery room he jokes 'What have you done to her, Doc?' We find out that Teyla was ready to go act as a queen within hours of her first surgery but it has taken two weeks for her to recover from the reversal. Teyla expresses her concern about Todd being the leader of such a strong alliance.

to the top

Tracker

We open on Rodney primping in front of the mirror. In walks John and all primping instantly stops. John's Spidey Sense is tingling over the fact that Rodney wants to accompany Keller on an off-world mission on his day off. I'm kinda puzzled by it too. You'd think he'd want to stay in the city and have some alone time with his boyfriend. So Rodney enters the gate room all confident and swaggering like the conquering hero that he is, in his own mind, until he spies Ronon standing next to Keller. And let me just say that the way Jason's standing there is so very not attractive. There's a brief 'fight' over one of Keller's bags, which Ronon wins.

Turns out that the planet is having a flu outbreak. Rodney tries to impress the girl by asking if the medicine she's going to prescribe is a neuraminidase inhibitor. That wouldn't impress me much. Keller wants to examine the mother and has the boys leave the room. Which is of course way too convenient for my tastes. Rodney's soup? stew? comes with what appears to be a chicken foot in it. He just plucks it from his bowl and sets it aside. Ronon tells him he doesn't have to stay, that he knows Rodney probably has lots to do back in the city. Rodney says the most surprising thing I've ever heard him say: 'no, I don't actually'. What!? Rodney McKay doesn't have any projects waiting for him? Anyway, Ronon picks up the chicken foot and gnaws on it. When they return to the woman's house they discover that Keller is missing.

The boys come to the conclusion that Keller was kidnapped.

In the woods, Keller is coming to propped up against the foot of a tree. Like someone else said in their review, I'm getting tired of the damsel in distress act as far as this character is concerned. Not to mention I'm sick to death of episodes where she is one of the major characters. I want episodes that focus on one of the original characters, which at this point is John or Rodney. I don't give a rat's ass about Keller. The writers have taken what could have been a decent character and turned her into a teenage geek boy's wet dream. Plus the thought that someone like Rodney would be attracted to her? Just stupid. He's old enough to be her father.

When Keller's kidnapper approaches her, the camera makes sure to show us this 'thing' on his arm. Remember it. There will be a quiz on this later. Keller starts in with the questions: 'who are you?' 'what do you want from me?' She's told that if she hadn't struggled then she wouldn't have been stunned. I'm sorry, but if you're just gonna snatch people off the street you should expect them to struggle. Now if he had asked for her assistance… but then there wouldn't have been a plot so we'll just leave that for now. He also tells her to stop asking questions. Again, I'm sorry but people are curious. Especially about the people who KIDNAP THEM! Keller proves she's not as smart as she says she is by continuing to ask questions until he pulls his stunner.

The boys have found tracks. Rodney suggests getting a SAR team and Ronon says go for it. Before Rodney can dial the gate it activates and out step four Wraith. They split up into different directions. Rodney calls Ronon to warn him and proves that he does know how to use the pistol he wears strapped to his thigh. I'm not sure if it was in the script of if David forgot and the editor just didn't take it out but he says 'oh, shit' but the 'it' of 'shit' is bleeped out. Ronon saves the day! We find out that the Wraith that are on the planet are hunters and the guy who took Keller is a runner.

I know I say this every review, but I really hate Jason's wig.

Runner guy, because we don't know his name yet, starts making tracks off to the side. Keller hears rustling and thinks it's Ronon. C'mon! Ronon would never make a sound when coming in through the underbrush. It's a Wraith and we find out just what that thing on Runner guy's arm is. It's some kind of teleportation device. He teleports to behind the Wraith and cuts off its head. Keller is, of course, horrified to find herself alone with a monster that saved her life by killing a Wraith.

The boys are telling the villagers they need to leave. The woman is stunned to learn there are Wraith on the planet. What? They never cull her planet? If that's the case then why aren't they more advanced? Oh, turns out it's just been a while since the Wraith have culled that planet.

Keller has finally noticed the thing on Runner guy's arm. Runner guy tells her he knows she's from Atlantis, is a doctor and didn't come alone. She then proves what a stupid female she is by trying to run away. She already knows he has a teleporter on his arm.

Rodney insults a rather large woman by calling her sir and saying she has a mustache. Once the last of the villagers are out of the village, Ronon says to not make a noise unless they hear from him. Rodney pipes up with 'or me!'

You just know that Rodney is wishing he was John, or at least that John was there, to help keep Ronon in line.

Keller just can't keep her mouth shut. Runner guy tells her he's a runner and she tells him about Ronon.

The boys find the spot where Runner guy killed the Wraith and made the trail of tracks. Rodney wants to follow them but Ronon shows him why they shouldn't. A trap.

Runner guy and Keller are at the foot of a cliff and he shows her what his teleporter thingy can do.

Rodney has a pebble in his boot and while he's getting rid of it a Wraith appears. Rodney kills it. Yay, McKay! Ronon is pissed that Rodney had to get the pebble out of his shoe and even though they now have the Wraith tracking scanner he's still pissed that Runner guy took Keller on his watch.

Keller talks Runner guy into letting her try to remove his tracking device. It's fused to his spine and brainstem.

Keller gets started healing the sick girl and Runner guy does a perimeter check. When Celise wakes up we find out that Runner guy's name is Kiryk.

During the second watching of this episode I figured out why I dislike Keller. It's Jewel's voice. It grates on my nerves. I'll also admit that I didn't like her on Firefly but at least there her character was supposed to be a wilting flower type.

A Wraith has found Kiryk's hideout and enters to find Celise alone. He approaches where she's lying and Keller stabs him from behind. Guess she's found her reason to be brave.

Keller wants to fry Kiryk's tracking device. Ronon and Rodney catch up with them and Ronon and Kiryk start fighting.

Wraith appear and everyone starts fighting. Keller shows that she spars with Teyla. Rodney gets his second Wraith kill of the episode.

Rodney tells Kiryk that he could have just asked for Keller's assistance.

Ronon and Kiryk bond over their adventures as runners.

When they get to the gate they find it surrounded by Wraith.

Kiryk dials the gate and leads the Wraith through it so Keller, Ronon, Rodney and Celise can escape.

Rodney's trying to teach Celise how to play Duck Hunt. John appears and jokes about having Rodney removed. Forcibly. Ronon give Celise back her doll and Keller goes 'awwww' in her head. Rodney sees and just knows that Ronon has 'won' and is disgusted. As am I. C'mon, Rodney. You have the best bed partner. Lieutenant Colonel John Sheppard.

Ronon's practicing with a sparing stick and Rodney comes in and demands to know his intentions. Ronon's all 'my intentions for what?' and Rodney explains that he has feelings for Keller. Ronon at first lies and says he doesn't want her. When he admits that's a lie, Rodney says 'may the best man win' and I want to throw up. I can't stand this arc and wish the writers had never thought of it. John really needs to rein his boyfriend in here. Obviously Rodney thinks it's okay for him to go around flirting with other people and telling people he has 'intentions' for a child like Keller.

So, as you can see I lost interest in this one about half way through and just couldn't summon the energy to write a detailed review.

to the top

First Contact

So usually the tenth episode of the season is the mid-season finale so I'm expecting a major cliffhanger. As in someone's life will be in danger. And to my way of thinking, SGA owes me for the last couple of stinker episodes. I also avoided all reviews because I've noticed that they tend to tint my reviews.

We open with 'previously on SGA' flashbacks. The actor playing Janus is very familiar to me so I looked him up on IMDb and discovered he played Gideon on Charmed. Then we move to John and Rodney walking to the gate with Rodney ranting about having to stop working to meet someone at the gate. When they arrive, Chuck says 'he's ready to beam'. Why didn't he just gate…never mind. Turns out it's Rodney's other nemesis, Daniel Jackson.

Daniel, Rodney and Woolsey are walking through the halls. Woolsey suggests that Rodney show Daniel to his quarters and the part of me that likes rare pairings is going 'are they gonna get hot and sweaty?' but no, Daniel wants to get right to work. And we find out just why Daniel is in Atlantis. He thinks he knows where Janus has hidden his super sekret lab. Daniel and Rodney are in one of the labs and you can tell that Rodney wants Daniel to fail. He keeps saying he's been over all of Janus' reports numerous times and Daniel counters with 'do you include all of your research in your official reports?' Turns out several of Janus' peers thought he had a 'bastion of unfettered thought and experimentation' or as one of his lovers put it – and here Rodney interrupts to ask 'he had lovers?' – 'an isle of solitude within the city walls'. Rodney says that that could just be a figure of speech because people say that about him all the time. C'mon, who doesn't think Rodney and John have a super sekret hide-out where they go to fuck like bunnies? Daniel then goes on to mention how one of Janus' assistants saw him disappear. I've never found Michael Shanks' way of speaking as Daniel annoying until now. He has a tone of condescension that I feel is misplaced here with Rodney.

Now we see John trying to talk Woolsey into letting him go with the team to meet Todd. Now part of me wants to say it's because Todd and John are lovers but I'm not gonna. Woolsey says that John can't go because someone has to mind the store, and obviously Lorne isn't capable. Speaking of, where is Lorne? Have we seen him since Search and Rescue? When Woolsey tells John he's the 2IC John gets this look on his face like he's never heard this before. What was Joe thinking to play it that way? Surely he knew that John was the 2IC for Atlantis. After telling John that 'he's the man' while Woolsey's away he says the one thing guaranteed to make this episode end with someone getting hurt: 'try not to blow her up while I'm gone'. To which John replies 'no promises'. Foreshadowing much? Also it's plainly obvious that John doesn't like being in charge of the whole city. Must have something to do with what happened during Adrift/Lifeline.

In the infirmary we see Keller getting ready to leave. Ronon enters and starts carrying her bags out for her. He says he doesn't trust 'these guys'. She asks if he doesn't trust Todd and his Wraith or the whole crew of the Daedalus to protect her. He replies 'I don't know. Both?' She just blushes and giggles like the sex object she has become. I used to not mind Ronon/Keller but after the last couple of episodes where she was the main focus...enough already! She is not one of the characters most of the fans tune in to see! And even if she is, why not settle on one canon for her? If her back story were just a tad more solid I might like her. And no, I don't dislike her because I like Carson. I dislike her because she's not a sympathetic character. Well, not for me any ways. As the two of them leave they pass Rodney and she says 'Bye, Rodney. Wish us luck' and dumb oblivious Rodney is like 'What?' So the writers are gonna cram this non-existent love triangle down our throats with every episode now? Ugh. If I wasn't such a fan I'd stop watching. Daniel realizes he doesn't have Rodney's attention and comes back to get him to follow. I so wanna read a Daniel/Rodney fic now. One where Daniel has to practically shove his tongue down Rodney's throat to get him to realize that Daniel wants him.

They get to the hall and there is a water line near the ceiling. Daniel says something about Janus not wanting others around when he entered or left his super sekret lab and Rodney says 'Oo. Like the Bat cave' and Daniel says sarcastically 'Yeah just like the Bat cave'. They notice notches on the wall for sconces. They then have to go on a scavenger hunt for them. Rodney gets some of his snark back here when Daniel says '...please tell me you kept detailed records of what was found and where'. Rodney replies 'Did we keep detailed records? Who are you talking to here?' I love the way the camera shifts from location to location as they go in search of the sconces. I think Daniel thinks they're the key to opening the super sekret lab door. When they're plugged in they make a musical tone. As Daniel tries to figure out the order of the tones Rodney goes to push on the wall. He tells Daniel to push on the wall as hard as he can while Rodney activates the code. When Daniel disappears through the door/wall Rodney whispers 'son of a bitch' and runs back to play the code again before entering the super sekret lab himself. Daniel isn't happy Rodney didn't tell him first. The lights don't come on until after Rodney has his little science babble speech about how the door works and the boys stand up. While they're busy playing with all the pretty things that lit up for them, they fail to notice one piece that has a blinking red light on it. The camera goes in tight then takes us to another planet where there's a similar blinking light and a body in armor that reminds me of the Cylons from the original BSG. It says 'alert the others the device has been activated'.

Woolsey is in the mess writing a speech. He really is a politician, isn't he? Keller enters and ask what he's doing. So far his speech sucks.

Back in the city. John is loving the super sekret lab but has issues with the door thing. Rodney assures him he has it set to remain open all the time. Daniel and Rodney are having trouble decoding Janus' encryptions. Rodney says 'there are levels of encryption on all the data here that even the most paranoid NSA agent wouldn't use'. Daniel says that some are math puzzles and John says the two of them make a good team. They both don't seem thrilled with that idea. John says he's gonna go back to being the boss and Rodney asks how that's going. John says it's pretty boring. Rodney offers to let him help ending with 'you know he coulda been in Mesa' snarkilly to Daniel then both of them break down in childish giggles. Excuse me? John's a pilot. He has to make complex calculations in his head at a moment's notice. And Daniel? Are you forgetting Jack? He does the 'I'm just a stupid grunt' quite well when you know for a fact that he's very smart. Please stop making fun of the military men especially when they're wearing a gun. Just cause they don't have a PhD., or three Dr. McKay, doesn't mean they're stupid. To be a commissioned officer in today's military a person has to have at least a bachelor's, quite possibly a Master's. I'm surprised the Air Force consultant that reviews these episodes to make sure their accurate didn't say something about that. John is understandably offended.

The Daedalus has arrived at its meeting spot with Todd. Caldwell tells Todd to send his people over and leaves Marsh in charge of the bridge. In the hall outside the airlock, Woolsey is pacing. Don't blame him. When Todd appears Woolsey tries to give his speech but Todd says 'let's just get on with it, shall we?' Can I say that I am now in love with Caldwell? Not sure why but I really like him. And it's not that he's doing anything in this scene, 'cause he's not. He's just standing there watching the interplay between Woolsey and Todd.

Back in the city. Rodney is about to drop and Daniel says he can call it a night if he needs to. Rodney says 'No, I'm fine but if you need to quit…' Daniel can't believe that Rodney is trying to compete with him. His exact words are 'Is everything a competition with you?' and Rodney's all wide-eyed innocence. Daniel's all 'I just found you a super sekret lab full of really cool stuff. That should score me some points.' What the frell is he talking about? What points? Did he do something to piss Rodney off and he's trying to make up for it? If so, how'd I miss it? Rodney admits he didn't think Daniel would find anything. Daniel is of course used to that. Then they lapse into the mutual admiration society. Rodney makes the observation that they didn't sign up for the recognition and Daniel says 'No, we did it for the money'. And now Rodney thinks Daniel gets paid more than he does. I'm not sure if I think that's true or not. On the one hand Daniel's been with the program almost from the beginning while Rodney didn't come in until much later. BUT Rodney's in another galaxy which would afford him combat pay but then again Daniel is also on an SG team and so would also get combat pay.

Over Lantia's ocean a hyperspace window opens. Chuck and Amelia are frantic. They call for John who has fallen asleep in his quarters reading a book. Oh, yeah. Chuck was also reading a book. Someone said it was a Canadian sci-fi book but I can't tell on my crappy 27" 1993 TV screen. When Chuck calls John he wakes up mumbling 'Just resting my eyes' then wants to know who said that. I guess he's never had the PA in his room go off before. I'd love to know what John was reading. The ship lands on one of the piers. John calls for Teyla and a team of Marines. Will we get to see Lorne this episode? The aliens 'jump' out of the ship and land inside one of the towers. They place what at first glance appears to be transport rings on the floor but isn't. Well, not the kind the Goa'uld use. When they all step on the transport pad it forms a shield around them and then cuts through the floors all the way to the bottom where Rodney is. Once there one of the aliens stays with the rings and the other two stun Daniel and Rodney. The team begins to shoot at the remaining alien. Um, guys? It's obvious that your bullets aren't going to break through his shield. Once his fellow aliens are gone with Rodney and Daniel he lowers his shield and dies.

Radek and a couple of other blue-shirts arrive on the scene. I wanna know why John called Radek and not a medical team. Or why not Radek AND a medical team. Oh and one of the guys with Radek looks like Hugh Dillion, only shorter and stockier. Radek tells him that he's not getting any readings and suggests they use a medical scanner. Again, when did Radek become a part of the medical department?

We're now where ever it is that Daniel and Rodney have been taken. Rodney's just now waking up from being stunned and he's not happy about it. They're being kept in a triangle shaped cage with green laser beams around it.

Teyla noticed that one of the aliens was carrying something when they left. We now flip between John and Rodney (proving that they are Soul Mates) explaining what must have happened. Daniel says he likes that theory so what now? Rodney says they need to get out of jail to which Daniel replies that they're probably on a ship traveling through hyperspace and asks where are they gonna go? Rodney says 'I'll think of something'. Daniel says, surprised, 'Really?' Seriously, Dr. Jackson? After all your years with Sam you still doubt the super smart scientist when they say they'll come up with a plan? Or is your doubt of Rodney himself, because I've noticed that you don't think much of him in this episode? You should have forgiven him his honest mistake all those years ago. How was he to know that replacing the control crystal in the DHD Teal'c was trapped in would work? Rodney says 'Yep. Always do' then touches one of the green laser beams and gets a shock. Daniel says 'Oh, yeah. Tried that. They zap you when you touch them'. Ya coulda told him sooner! Of course Rodney didn't have to let him fall through the 'door' to Janus' super sekret lab either. So, boys, are we done with our pissing contest? If not, can we be done with it? It's not attractive and you're both very pretty. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is: Would the two of you grow up already? It's not like you're in the same scientific field so why the need for the competition? Seriously. Could someone explain that one to me, please? Daniel says that they don't have much 'play here' because the aliens stripped them of all but the clothes on their backs – who wishes they had taken the clothes too? Show of hands. That's what I thought – but Rodney, ever the optimist, says they do have one thing going for 'em; they're not dead yet.

Back in the city, the 'dead' alien is on one of the scanner beds but they can't get any readings through the armor. Again, where's the doctor on duty? Surely keller isn't the only one? John suggests cutting it off and they end up triggering a self-destruct.

On the Daedalus Keller is telling Todd that the simulations have proved successful. Todd's not so sure. Jewel is playing Keller as extremely terrified. I don't think she should be. Yes Todd has been known to betray us when it best suits his purpose but right now he hasn't shown any reason for anyone to fear him. Other than the fact that he's a Wraith. When Todd says 'Uh-huh (and since when do Wraith use such a human non-word?), perhaps it will' Keller asks if he wants it to work. He says he can see both sides to the argument. And then he gets all deep on us. When Keller says that if they don't have to feed on humans the war would end Todd says 'Perhaps…but then what would we do? Who would we be?' Didn't know Wraith thought about stuff like that.

The ship carrying Daniel and Rodney has arrived at its home world and it's an ice planet. They're tossed in a room and told to get the device working. Rodney objects that he doesn't even know what it is. He has a nickname for their captor: Talky McSays-a-lot. Rodney then becomes his usual 'I'm the smartest man in two galaxies and so should be the only one to touch anything' to which Daniel just rolls his eyes.

Back in the city, Amelia is briefing John on what they've got going. I wonder if maybe she's the third highest officer, kinda like Lorne's 2IC or something. If that's the case why is she giving John this update? Where's Lorne? He's 2IC, right? Right? Not to mention he's John Childe and so should be in the city with his Sire helping him get his Mate back. Radek tells John he's been working on the signal and he's using math that's so complex he doesn't think he can 'dumb it down' enough for John to understand. Again I have to take offense here. John has proven on several occasions that he's a math genius. Why do the writers feel the need to have the 'smart' characters make fun of John? He. Is. Not. Stupid, people. He's a fighter pilot. More than that he's a helicopter pilot. It takes even more math skills to fly a 'copter than a plane, even a fighter jet. So, please, can we dispense with the 'John is stupid' jokes? My signal messed up right there so I'm not sure what all was said.

Rodney has figured out that the device is an 'end game machine' and could mean the end of the Wraith once and for all.

The device makes it so the Wraith can't use their hyperdrives. What it does is unstablize their hyperspace windows. And keeping with the Ancients' habit of not explaining completely, Janus shut the test down due to 'unforeseen side-effects'. They decide to not fix it. When they try to explain to the aliens why they're not gonna do that they're told they have one hour or Daniel will die. So Rodney agrees to do it. Daniel then wonders why the aliens are still wearing their suits.

Back in the city Radek has narrowed the signal's location to a planet. One without a gate. And of course the Daedalus isn't near one either.

Daniel tells Rodney he doesn't have to turn it back on. He mentions Rodney's destroying a solar system, which Rodney mentioned first earlier, and Rodney says that if they do nothing then Daniel will die, followed by him and he's rather find of breathing and so would rather not have Daniel die either. Yeah, I have trouble wrapping my head around that one too. They turn it on and my first thought: 'It's alive!' Guess I need to stop watching Young Frankenstein. Rodney then asks if Daniel is still alive to which he replies 'Think so. I'd hate to think heaven looks like this' and Rodney asks 'Who says we went to heaven?' Good point, McKay. So far so good. Rodney's hoping for an all expense paid trip back to Atlantis. Daniel doesn't think they'll be that lucky.

On the Daedalus, Todd has an urgent message from his hive. Woolsey is considerate enough to give him a headset so he can take it privately. Turns out the message isn't really all that private. (me thinks tptb just didn't want to have to pay an extra to say any lines) His support ships have to go help one of their facilities that's under attack. When he says that his hive's gonna remain behind to continue to work with Keller, Woolsey says 'I'm glad to hear that' and everyone looks askance at him. He hastens to remove his foot from his mouth and explain just what it is he meant by that only he ends up swallowing it all the way to the knee. And the wig that Todd's actor is wearing is almost as bad as Jason's speaking of Ronon…we haven't seen him since early in the show. The two support ships go to engage their hyperdrives and are destroyed. Todd thinks we're to blame. He has these two rod things in his sleeves that when brought together send out a stun wave that stuns everyone on the bridge. I feel sorry for the actors who were standing when they were 'stunned' because they have to fall to the floor. Todd calls his hive and somehow they're able to see him on their view screen. Last time I checked Earth ships did not have the ability to do that, well not with hive ships at any rate.

Oh, There's Ronon! He goes to get Keller. Really? Keller? Surely there are Marines he could alert. And since when does she know how to shoot a gun? Todd locks down the ship to limit those that weren't on the bridge from being able to get to the bridge.

Rodney has found an entry that explains the 'unforeseen side-effects' of the device. It affects Stargates in a negative way. As he's turning it off, the aliens come in and stun them again.

Radek tells John that he's gonna have Chuck dial M5R-179 and they should be able to contact the Daedalus from there. When Chuck dials the gate it has a power spike in the event horizon. They can't shut the gate off and the power is building and it will most likely explode. John suggests putting the city shield around the gate to contain the blast. We now have what looks like a sun in the gate room. We have a major problem in that the emitters are about to burn out and we still need another full minute before the shield can absorb the full brunt of the blast. John tells everyone to leave the tower, even Teyla. She wants to stay but he tells her she has to go. I'd've loved it if they'd've had him mention Torren John here. Everyone leaves and John gives Radek some encouragement. John says it's going down but Radek says it's not enough. Cut to an outside view of the tower and we can see the gate glowing through the windows…then it explodes. Did John and Radek get out in time?

to the top

The Lost Tribe

We begin with scenes from the last episode. As Teyla is trying to get everyone to safety the gate room explodes. Something that doesn't have anything to do with anything, except I just noticed and it's bugging me, Teyla has started wearing her earpiece on her right ear after wearing it on her left for four years. Suddenly there's a doctor asking if there was anyone in the top of the tower, where was she last time when we needed someone to check out the alien?

The gate room looks like a war zone, or like a gate exploded in it. *snicker* Sorry, couldn't resist. As Teyla and the rescue team begin looking for John and Radek near the control panels, Teyla hears something coming from Woolsey's office. It's John and Radek! John is covering Radek with his body. For those who care, I say it's because Radek has the soul of John's daughter, but I know the writers had John cover Radek because John's wearing a flack vest. When Teyla reaches John's side he says 'We didn't take cover'. That makes no sense to me unless he means that they should have gotten further away. As he's being helped to his feet he says he thinks he has some glass in his back. I'd say he does have some glass in his back. Can't have a window explode over you and not get glass in your back. As Teyla helps Radek to his feet, he says 'We lost the Stargate, we lost the control room. That's bad.' and Teyla responds 'but we did not lose you. That's good.'

On the Daedalus Todd is told that all the troops he requested have arrived. He gives orders for his hive to stay put and not activate its hyperdrive. His 2IC then questions where they're going. I totally expected him to slap the man and remind him it's none of his concern to question his commander but he doesn't. He actually tells him where they're headed: to Atlantis.

We see a glass studded back and a gloved hand removing a piece. From the grunt we know the back belongs to John. *squee* We get to see Joe/John without a shirt! He tells Teyla to get Banks and her team to set up an auxiliary control room below the damaged areas and is told that they've already begun. Teyla says she is unsure what happened and John says 'The gate blew up'. Well, duh! Then he asks 'Where the hell's McKay when you need him, huh?' Well, this time he's being held hostage on an alien world.

Speaking of the alien world... Rodney and Daniel are trying to figure out just what's going on. Rodney has surmised that millions of people will die if they don't shut the device down due to the gates exploding when dialed.

On the Daedalus, Woolsey is starting to wake up. Todd has the ship drop out of hyperspace just out of reach of Atlantis.

In the city, we find that while our heroes are no longer 'blind' they are still severely crippled. Without the gate they have no way of rescuing Rodney and Daniel. John offers $5 to the first one to figure out how to contact the Daedalus. Just then Atlantis is hailed by the Daedalus. Amelia gets John's attention and when he asks if she has an idea she tells him that they're being hailed and wants to know if that counts. He tells her he'll pay her later. John starts to greet the Daedalus and tell them it's good to hear from them when Todd appears on the screen. John asks 'where's Caldwell' (and again I have to say that I hate the fact that he miss pronounces it) and is told that all Todd wants is for the Attero Device to be shut off. Todd is convinced that he was lured into the open so the device could be tested. Todd threatens to kill a member of the crew for each minute the device stays on. John has Amelia mute the transmission and John asks 'what are the chances this device was at the other end of the subspace link Rodney opened when he went into Janus' lab?' Teyla thinks it's a weapon that Janus developed during the war and John concludes that blowing up Stargates is just a nasty side-effect. John tells Todd that they're not the ones behind this. Todd still doesn't believe him and threatens to kill Woolsey. John hastens to tell him that while they're not the ones behind it they do know where it is and if Todd will 'swing by here' and pick John up he'll take him there himself. Todd of course disagrees with that plan. Todd says in the most menacing voice I've ever heard 'John Sheppard transmit the coordinates or I will feed on Mr. Woolsey before your very eyes!' John of course tells Amelia to do it.

On the ship, Ronon is trying to pry open some doors. Keller is trying to reason with him. Honey, have you ever thought that maybe he's trying to get away from you versus wanting to kill some Wraith? She says that they're on a spaceship and the doors are designed to not let something as tiny as air through and he says 'Yeah well, I'm a lot bigger than air', showing that he can be really dense at times, to which she replies 'Yeah…that's kinda my point' in this voice that tells me she's trying really hard to not call him a big dumb jock. Suddenly the doors open and Ronon thinks he did it. He didn't though, and Keller calls a warning just in time for him to duck before getting hit with a Wraith stunner. She asks what the plan is and he tells her that they're gonna go disable the ship. She asks if he knows how to do all that and he says 'Yeah. Don't you?' Um, Ronon? Not everyone has spent time off-world watching Rodney save the day.

Back on Atlantis a hyperspace window is opening and John thinks Todd may have changed his mind but it's just a Traveler ship come to get assistance from John.

Rodney's trying to find a way to escape when one of the aliens shows up and orders Daniel to follow him. Daniel's all 'Me? Why me?' and the alien pulls his weapon. They both start going 'No!' and Rodney says they'll both go only to be told that they only want Daniel. Rodney jokes that it must be his turn to use the fitness room.

Back in Atlantis Katana is telling our heroes that the Travelers had built a colony on the surface of a planet for the first time in a hundred generations and it was leveled in an instant. She was in orbit when it happened and the explosion could be seen from space. When John says he knows where the device is but he doesn't have a ship Katana offers hers. He tells Radek to come with him and Teyla objects. John tells her he needs someone he can trust in charge. Again I have to wonder just where is Lorne? Kavan Smith's appearance in this episode would have made it even more enjoyable.

On the Daedalus Ronon and Keller are in the engine room and Keller thinks they should bring up the main control systems and disable them one by one. Ronon says that'll take too long and begins shooting out the control crystals which means that when Rodney gets rescued he's gonna be pissed! Keller says he shouldn't do that because he might accidentally take out life support and Ronon says he's pretty sure it's a control panel on the other side of the room. One of the first systems he takes out is the hyperdrive. One of Todd's underlings says 'We've dropped out of hyperspace' as if Todd doesn't have eyes.

Back on the alien planet, Daniel is having his audience with the 'head' alien. He tries to again tell them to shut the device down. He tells him that the device makes Stargates explode and is told that the aliens don't use the gates. Daniel counters with 'but lots of other people do' and is told 'they are of no concern to us'. Daniel is having a hard time wrapping his brain around the fact that he has encountered another race of people who don't care of anyone other than themselves.

On the Traveler ship Radek is introduced to the engineer, Mila, who is only 15.

On the Daedalus Todd is inspecting the damage Ronon did. Todd threatens to kill people if Ronon and Keller don't turn themselves in. Keller says they should do that because he's gonna start killing people. Ronon tells her that he's gonna kill her and she says 'Well, I hope not' in that 'Gee, golly, how do I get myself into these situations and why do the bad guys always do such evil things?' voice that I absolutely hate with a pink and purple polka dotted passion. I really wish the writers would realize that Keller's been in Atlantis long enough to know that the bad guys hardly ever keep their promise when they say they won't kill you if you comply. Especially when the bad guy is a Wraith. She tricks Ronon into thinking he's convinced her to not turn herself in and then when he turns his back she jumps into the elevator.

Daniel is still trying to convince the aliens to turn off the device. He demands to know just who it is he's dealing with and the suit opens to reveal an Asgard. He's stunned that a race he considered his friends would be calluse enough to let millions of innocent people die.

He tells the Asgard that he has encountered his race before and even considered some his friends and that they helped the human population in the Milky Way. When asked where are they now he has to admit that they're dead. Daniel tells this Asgard about Loki.

John is checking up on Radek and Mila and a console to her right catches fire. She puts it out with her hand and says 'It does that sometimes. Don't let it bother you'. Radek is concerned that they're pushing the ship past its limits and John says it's what they asked for. He then tells Radek that 'if we don't get Rodney and Danny back before Todd gets there, they're goners'. I actually missed him calling Daniel 'Danny' the first time I watched it and now I wonder what Jack would think of someone else calling his Mate 'Danny'? And what Rodney would think of his Mate calling Daniel 'Danny'? An alarm starts to sound and Mila, who talks with an almost monotone, says that the sensor is just a little over sensitive.

Daniel is being told about why he and Rodney were needed. He still doesn't see how the ends justify the means.

Keller is brought before Todd and he asks where her weapon is which throws her for a moment. Todd tries to gain her cooperation by saying he's on a mission from John. She doesn't believe him.

Daniel is returned to the cell he shares with Rodney. Rodney, being his usual sunny self, asks if Daniel is okay, saying he thought Daniel was a goner. Daniel tells Rodney that the guys in the suits are Asgard and that they're still not going to shut off the device. Rodney has finally figured out how to escape.

As Keller is being escorted to the hanger where the others are, Ronon rescues her. He hands her a P90 and she proceeds to use it like a pro then says it's the first time she's ever used one outside the range. They rescue the rest of the crew.

Rodney says they need to create a diversion so they can shut off the device which will be guarded. He suggests they cause an explosion and Daniel says he has never understood how that makes a good diversion. Did he learn nothing from all those years on Jack's SG team? They turn a corner and are face-to-face with two suits of armor. Rodney starts babbling about how they need him. Daniel says 'Rodney' the same way Jack used to say 'Daniel' whenever Daniel would go off on a tangent. Rodney amends his rambling to say 'us, you need us'. Daniel finally gets in a word about how they're just suits and Rodney thinks flattery will keep them alive. Daniel points out that they're empty suits. They decide to use the suits to get into the room with the device.

John's getting familiar with the Traveler's ship's systems and Katana asks if he'll be able to handle it. John says he's flown tougher birds before and starts fishing for information about Larrin by saying he's surprised she didn't say anything and is told that Larrin never mentioned him before. When they come out of hyperspace the hyperdrive burns out. Mila isn't concerned. The Asgard have launched two ships and are attacking.

The crew has made it to the bridge and find the ship abandoned. All the Wraith have fallen back to the 302 bay. Todd has locked the flight control systems.

Rodney and Daniel have made it to the Attero Device room and discover that the Asgard have taken the control key so that the device cannot be shut off.

The Traveler ship has destroyed one of the Asgard ships and now there's a third ship headed right for them. Just before a collision, the third ship opens a hyperspace window. The Daedalus has arrived and Woolsey tells John that Todd 'let them' take the ship back. Marks tells Woolsey that Todd set a pre-programmed sub-routine to kick in once they came out of hyperspace. They're set on a collision course with the facility.

Daniel suggests they just power down the whole facility and Rodney says they can't do much more than turn the lights on and off without the key. Then he has the brilliant idea to go into the chamber and pull the control crystal.

Keller tells Woolsey that Ronon took out the weapons so that Todd ended up with no choice but to use the ship to destroy the facility and her voice is starting to grate on my nerves. I get that she's terrified but c'mon! Use a different voice. That little girl thing doesn't work here.

Rodney and Daniel enter the chamber. Rodney tries to tell Daniel that he doesn't have to go in there too but he says that if Rodney dies then he'll have to go in there to finish the job anyways. While Rodney's trying to figure out which one to pull, Daniel is struck by one of the electric bolts.

John tells Radek and Mila to open the hyperdrive so they can make a small jump. They get in front of the Daedalus and 'help' them 'jump' through the planet. Marks regains control of the ship just seconds after the 'jump'.

Daniel is really hurt. Daniel is convinced he's gonna die soon and Rodney starts to say he respects him just as they're beamed up to the Daedalus's infirmary. Woolsey instructs that the facility be destroyed. Rodney asks for help in getting out of his suit and Woolsey says 'I'll look for a can opener'.

On Atlantis Katana tells John that they're almost ready to leave and he tells her to tell Larrin to not be a stranger because he's much more charming when his friends aren't about to die. Katana says that that's not what Larrin says and he pounces with 'Aha, see she does talk about me'. Oh, John. Does Rodney know that you're still trying to keep up appearances? He tries to get Katana to tell him what Larrin has said but she won't spill.

Ronon runs into Keller and she tells him she's interested in someone else. On a third viewing of First Contact I'm thinking she might be interested in Todd. The sly looks from the corner of her eye and the way she asked if he wants the drug to work just smack of someone who isn't afraid, as I said in my review, but of someone who's interested in the other person; sexually. Ronon covers really nicely by saying he isn't interested in her either.

Daniel is in recovery and when Rodney asks how he's doing Daniel says it hurts to eat the fruit cup to which Rodney replies 'then don't eat the fruit cup'. We find out that Atlantis will not be left without a gate because the Daedalus picked up one from the old gate bridge and it's being installed. Rodney then is at a loss for words. All he can come up with is 'it's been unique'. Daniel thanks Rodney for saying he respects Daniel and Rodney backpedals and says that that's not what he was going to say. Daniel is outraged that Rodney can only give compliments to the dying and Rodney says it's something he's working on.

to the top

Outsiders

I was going to try and watch this one again hoping it wasn't as bad as I thought but I decided against it. Mostly because I just don't feel up to it. The writers of SGA just keep failing to see the potential for some awesomeness. Carson, Rodney, Ronon, John and Teyla make such a great team but the writers didn't use them to their best.

I do have a few insights to mention. The Wraith wigs didn't look totally fake but Jason's is getting worse. When he wore the dreads for real he didn't have that tuft of hair over his forehead. Teyla was awesome shooting her P90 at the darts. When the leader of the village first snuck off to tell the others about John's plan I wasn't sure what was going on. But when the Wraith and the villagers entered the mine I knew that the leader had helped John get the Wraith where he could kill them. I did like Rodney and Carson on the Wraith ship. When Carson went to see the Commander I wasn't sure what he had in mind but then when he goaded him into feeding I knew that he had figured out that Michael had infected him with the Hoffan drug. The two of them in the Dart! Priceless! His solution of how to get off the ship was fantastic!

to the top

Inquidition

We open on a shot of the city from above and Woolsey saying that the team has been invited to attend some kind of meeting of various leaders from Pegasus Galaxy planets. John's not so thrilled with the idea, nor is Ronon if the look on his face is any indication. Rodney's only concern is if there's any advance technology. Whoever the writer for this episode is knows how to make tongue-in-cheek jokes. Woolsey makes the comment that the 'meeting' will most likely turn into a 'federation'. For those not in the know: Robert Picardo played 'Doctor', the EMH (Emergency Medical Hologram) on Star Trek: Voyager for seven years. Rodney, despite saying how wrong, wrong so very wrong sci-fi science is, shows that he's a closet Trekkie and reminds everyone that The Federation had ships. Teyla reminds him that just because the people involved weren't the ones who built the gate doesn't mean they can't benefit from cooperation. Ronon agrees and says 'it's about time the people of this galaxy got together and stood up for themselves'. Rodney asks, very skeptically, 'Against the Wraith?' uh, yeah, Rod. Against the Wraith. Who else are they gonna stand up against? The Genii? And why aren't you a bit more believing about them helping with the fight? Aren't you one of the ones who says they should do more for themselves? Woolsey says that since the Wraith are at war with each other the people behind the coalition feel that now is the right time and want our heroes to be a part of it. Something about that sentence has both John and Rodney doing their 'Well, okay then' faces and off through the gate we go. On the other side there is yet another medieval village. SGA-1 is ushered into a room that looks like a cell and gas is pumped in, knocking them out cold.

They wake up in what is most definitely a cell. I find it interesting that Rodney is the last one to wake up. Two men approach the door to the cell and we get told nothing other than that the council wishes to speak to John.

He's taken before two men and one woman (keep this in mind because it will be important later) are sitting on a dais like judges. He jokes that if they wanted to keep the location secret they could have blindfolded him, he wouldn't have peeked, honest! He is then told that he's there because Atlantis is being accused of crimes against humanity.

Back in the city, Lorne is returning to report to Woolsey that they found nothing.

Back at John's trail he's still not getting that he was tricked. The woman tells John to not entertain thoughts or a rescue after one of her co-judges tells him that only a few people know the gate address. John demands to know what it is they think Atlantis has done and is told that according to their calculations Atlantis is responsible, either directly or indirectly, for the deaths of over two million people. Wow. Way to pass the blame, guys. John is then asked to tell them about his first encounter with the Wraith and he says 'Oh. Okay. I see where this is going' and crosses his arms over his chest while pressing his lips together in an 'I'm not saying another word' gesture. He's asked if it's true that when the expedition arrived the Wraith were in hibernation. He says 'not all of them' and is asked to explain. Seriously? You're a native to Pegasus and you think that the Wraith all hibernate at the same time!? He tells them that the Wraith attacked his team and we get clips from the first episode.

I think I should stop here and inform anyone who wasn't already aware that Inquisition is what is called a 'bottle episode' in the film industry. In other words, a clip show because they're very cheap to produce. When this episode was written and filmed no one knew that Atlantis wasn't coming back for a sixth season which is probably why a PA was allowed to write it.

When he's done describing his first encounter with the Wraith he's told that was a scouting party not a culling. He reminds them that he's not from there and so all he knew was that they had taken some of his men. He's told he should have left them to their fate and he says that in the US military no man gets left behind. Then he's asked to tell them what happened on the hive ship and he says 'Well, we went in, we rescued as many people as we could, then we got out.' Joe put a bit of a pause between the 'then' and 'we got out' as if to stress the 'we got the hell outta Dodge' thing he was pantomiming with his hands: left forefinger followed by right forefinger from right to left. The youngest of the men says 'But not before encountering a Queen'. I didn't realize she was a Queen but I guess I should have. We get even more clips from the first episode. The woman jumps on that and tries to get him to confirm that he just admitted to waking the Wraith. He argues that sooner or later they were gonna wake anyway and is reminded that it wasn't due to happen for several more generations and not in the numbers that they did. He tries to remind them that his people are out there fighting the Wraith everyday and is slapped down with 'the fact remains that many who were killed would be alive today if you hadn't come here'. This seems to be John's breaking point as he gets frustrated and says he's taking his ball and going home since they're not playing fair and is told that this is just the first of many charges and if he refuses to cooperate it will be taken as a sign of guilt and they will proceed to sentencing. John snarks 'what are you gonna do? Put everyone in Atlantis in jail?' He's told that since that is not possible what they would do is spread the word that the Lanteans are not to be trusted which will have the effect of basically cutting them off from all trading partners which will leave them without fresh food between visits from the Daedalus. He says 'No relations with the likes of you? I think we can handle that' and is told that the members of the coalition have a lot of friends. The woman is demanding that an example be made of SGA-1: they are to be sent to an uninhabited planet with no hope of return to live out the remained of their natural lives.

John has been returned to the cell and is telling the team what's going on. Ronon says that the Daedalus will find them and Rodney goes into his worst case scenario about how that would take like a million years. What I don't understand is how they could all forget that they have sub-dermal transmitters for situations just like this one. Of course that would mean that this episode wouldn't happen so... Plot hole! Score one for the newbie writer!

John says that he's been to the council chamber a couple of times now and is starting to get a feel for the lay of the land. I had to bite my cheek to keep from laughing. Everyone knows that pilots are useless on the ground. Teyla notices that the design of the building is different from that of the village and John confirms that they're on a different planet. Ronon asks about the guards and John says they'll need to see if they change in shifts. Rodney of course wants to just convince them that SGA-1 is not guilty because they couldn't possibly be guilty of anything as heinous as crimes against humanity, right? Teyla and Ronon just look at him and he says that there is no way the galaxy would be better off if they hadn't arrived and Teyla says that that is true 'but there have been setbacks and lives have been lost but there is hope now where once there was none'. John says that despite wanting to just take his ball and go home they have to play along until they can escape, or get rescued.

Back in the city, Lorne is exiting the gate with a man named Myrus who claims to be a representative of The Federation...I mean The New Coalition of Planets. He says he needs to speak to Woolsey.

Back at John's...I mean SGA-1's trial. Why, if they're all on trial, is John the only one answering questions? Is it because he's the leader? John asks snarkilly if they stepped on the rose bushes on their last trip to Vedeena. The Hoffan Plague is brought up next. Now I have to disagree with this one. The scientists on Hoff where developing the drug way before we came to the galaxy. Yes, Carson helped finish it but that's all we did. The older male judge mentions that Michael used it to poison several worlds. Again, not our fault. Yes, Carson 'created' Michael but we didn't turn him evil. Nor did we suggest he use the drug to poison the Wraith food supply. We now get clips of the episode Michael. The female judge is determined to find John guilty and her anger over this is palpable. We then get scenes from Search and Rescue. When asked if John is positive Michael is dead he jinxes everything and says yes in a roundabout way.

Back in Atlantis. Woolsey is up in arms over being told that his number one team is being held up on charges of crimes against humanity. Lorne is clearly pissed that his Sire and CO has been 'arrested' and there's not a damn thing he can do about it. When Woolsey asks where SGA-1 is being held he's told he's not allowed to know that and he says 'fair trials don't take place in secret locations'. Score one for Woolsey! Woo-hoo! When Myrus tries to argue with that Woolsey says he needs a little time to reconsider his position and orders Lorne to escort him to a cell. When Lorne gets to Myrus' chair he pulls it out so quickly that if Myrus hadn't been sitting on the very edge he'd've fallen on his ass. Myrus then tells Woolsey he's making a mistake, that detaining him just proves what the council is saying; that Atlantis is a rogue element in the Pegasus Galaxy operating without restraint or due process. It doesn't sway Woolsey any and he tells Lorne to proceed to the brig.

John admits they've made some mistakes but says it's because they're the only ones out there fighting as well and the younger male judge asks 'isn't that your own fault as well?' Seems like he's friends with the Genii and now we get scenes from Underground. I still say that Sora and them Cowen shouldn't have blamed Teyla for Sora's father's death. It wasn't her fault. When asked if they betrayed each other John shows that the US military is similar to the Boy Scouts in that their people are always prepared. He then tells the council that the Genii plan wasn't going to work anyway because their bombs needed McKay to finish and had no means of delivering them. He then tells them that Atlantis is the galaxy's only hope...sorry, Star Wars was on recently... chance of a military victory.

Back in the city, Woolsey and Lorne are doing a walk-n-talk. Lorne is updating Woolsey as to his team's progress which is nil. Lorne says the teams are at a distinct disadvantage because of worrying about being ambushed every time they enter a village and Woolsey says he refuses to believe that the whole galaxy has turned against them. Lorne says that they might as well have because they have nothing and Woolsey says 'Maybe not...' and gets this far-away look in his eyes. Lorne isn't so sure about it but when Woolsey says 'come with me; he follows like the good soldier he is. Woolsey goes to the room where they're holding Myrus which isn't one of the cells.

Back at the trial. The older man is asking John to explain his claim that they've had military success against the Wraith. When John says that they've managed to take out a hive or two, the woman says she doesn't believe him so we get scenes of various episodes where they've managed to get the hives to shoot at each other. In one clip we see Lorne say 'Sheppard's actually getting them to fire at each other' and the camera pans over to Rodney who's smile says 'My boyfriend/Mate is the coolest!' John then snarks 'Let's see, what else did I leave out? There's been so many over the years that it's hard to keep track' and is told by the woman that he's said enough. She doesn't believe him. When she says they don't have any evidence he tells her that the trial is evidence enough; that their precious (fighting urge to do Gollum impersonation) coalition wouldn't have been possible if they hadn't've pushed the Wraith so far back that they got an opportunity they hadn't had in 10,000 years. The younger man says that they were able to start their coalition because of the Wraith being woken before the population had time to recover from the last round of cullings which has caused the 'Wraith to go to war over feeding grounds; not some imagined victory on your part'. John doesn't like hearing that he hasn't helped as much as he's thought he had. Myrus comes in and begins whispering with the younger man who then calls a recess and John is escorted back to his cell where he finds Woolsey conversing with the rest of his team. Woolsey says he's taking over the team's defense.

John asks if he brought a subspace locator beacon with him and Woolsey says it's Wraith tech. Again I have to ask why SGA-1 doesn't have sub-dermal transmitters. I remember in Miller's Crossing that Wallace, the man who kidnapped Jeanie and Rodney, worked for the company that produces the transmitters and that Rodney said he has one. I also seem to recall it being mentioned in other episodes that all members of gate teams are fitted with one for situations like this. Or was that an SG-1 episode? Rodney asks if they tried the DHD on the planet where they were ambushed and Woolsey says they did but there were over 50 addresses and he almost emptied the city checking out each and every one of them and that the teams turned up nothing. Teyla guesses that they were taken through more than one gate. Woolsey says that SGA-1 was taken unawares because the ambushers took advantage of one huge weakness: they trusted them. He then says he came with a plan to get them outta there. He walks over to the bench that Ronon's got his foot propped up on and after brushing off some dirt, sits down to tell them that his plan is to win the trial. Well, duh! I certainly didn't think he was going to lose it. John tells Woolsey that they were playing along to buy them some time to figure a way outta there and Woolsey asks 'How's that working out for ya?' John does his best to not say 'not so well' but it's the truth. Woolsey then reads off his resume, which makes me wonder what the IOA was thinking putting not only a civilian but a lawyer in charge of Atlantis. As Woolsey's talking he looks over at Ronon and realizes that his impressive resume means nothing to the peoples of Pegasus.

Now Woolsey is standing in front of the council. They've moved on to the Replicators. Again, not really our fault. Rodney turned them on to save the team. It was never anyone's intention to have them turn on human worlds. The older man asks why the Replicators waited until now to attack the Wraith. What he either doesn't know or chooses to not say is that the Wraith turned them off until Rodney turned them back on. He then tries to use guilt on them by saying they lost one of their best people by turning them back on. The woman is appalled that he considers one life a grave sacrifice. When Woolsey argues that they shouldn't be held responsible for the actions of the Replicators the older man counters with 'By your own admission, these Replicators are machines. So if I were to set a detonator can I then later deny responsibility for the actions of the bomb?' A very good point but the Replicators are AIs. They think and learn and grow just like humans. They can make their own decisions about what's right and wrong. Woolsey tries to drag the Ancients into it but is shot down because they're not around to answer to their charges. He then states that they know of six worlds destroyed by the Replicators but they also know of over a dozen hive ships that would have certainly culled within a year that were also destroyed so 'on balance' he says that more lives were saved than lost and the woman loses it. And now we find out why she's so pissed. He husband and children were murdered before her very eyes. She's so far beyond pissed that she's shaking with fury.

Back in the cell, Woolsey is telling the team about the woman's story. He says that it is inappropriate for someone that biased to be on the council and I totally agree. What the frell was the writer thinking having someone like that on there? Oh, right. The writer was a PA so he/she wasn't thinking. John says the deck is stacked against them and Woolsey says maybe not. The older man might be persuaded to vote for them and the younger might as well, despite being overly hostile. Woolsey mentions that the planet the younger guy is from is making noise about getting into bed with the Genii and John pipes up with 'Yeah, he did try to convince me that they should be the ones leading the fight against the Wraith' and Teyla asks if the Genii could be behind this. Ronon says they should go to Plan B: 'wait for the guards to come in, I beat them up, take their guns and we shoot our way outta here.' Woolsey shoots that one down with logic. Rodney says they have no other choice because there's no way they can win and Woolsey says 'not fairly'. Me thinks he has a plan to bribe someone! He then goes to have a hush-hush meeting with the younger male judge. He tells him he's backing the wrong horse and that Atlantis would make a better choice for the military backing for the coalition.

It is now time for the final charge. They want to talk about how they've been working with Todd. We get clips from Common Ground and other episodes where Todd has helped us. I hope he doesn't mention the time Teyla turned into a Queen. The older man says that they will now recess to deliberate on the verdict but Woolsey asks to make a final statement. He warns that sooner or later the Wraith will cease to fight amongst themselves and if they don't want Atlantis fighting by their side then go right ahead and vote guilty. The woman says she doesn't need time to think, they're guilty in her eyes and nothing will sway her from that. When she says 'I vote guilty on all charges' Woolsey's head snaps up as if he can't believe she said that. The older man says not guilty then turns to the younger man and says that his is the deciding vote. We don't hear what he has to say, instead we go to a guard opening the cell and everyone wondering if they're gonna die or not. Then Woolsey enters and the guards walk away leaving the door open.

Back in the city, John is on a balcony when Woolsey joins him with a glass of whiskey and a cigar. He admits to having had to commit Atlantis to being part of the politics of Pegasus.

to the top

The Prodigal

We open on a shot of Atlantis at night. I can't decide which is my favorite; Atlantis at night or Atlantis during the day. Ronon has been called into Woolsey's office for a dressing down due to his not turning in mission reports. He claims he's not so good with the written word and Woolsey hands him a voice recorder. I forgot how funny this scene is. Ronon keeps trying to avoid having to file mission reports by saying he was unaware he had to and Woolsey keeps saying he knew... I really can't do the whole scene justice. Ronon then says he's not good with talking either; really he's trying everything to get out of filing a damn report! Woolsey's speechless.

In an empty hallway, two remote controlled cars come speeding around a corner. Who could possibly be playing with them? Our resident 12-year-olds, that's who! It is now canon that John and Rodney 'play' along the east pier and are so very competitive with each other it borders on sibling rivalry. They also trash talk each other. Suddenly Teyla appears carrying Torren John. She almost trips over the racing cars and both boys instantly stop and go running to her aid. Turns out that Torren John is colicky. Rodney suggests she just do what his mother always did, let him cry himself to sleep. According to Rodney it won't harm the baby at all. Um, Rodney, love? I think that may be why you're so prickly. John's not so sure that's a good idea, if the look on his face is any indication. Or maybe it's just the father in Joe disagreeing with letting a baby Torren John's age self-soothe. John offers to help but in the same breath says 'it looks like you got everything taken care of' and you can tell he's just itching to get away from the poop machine that is his namesake. Teyla says she's going to head back to her quarters and hopes to not get run over which the boys take as a scolding. Funny how any mother has the ability to scold with just a look and a tone. As soon as she's out of sight, they resume their race. As the boys are walking 'home' the lights go out (this is where my mother asked me if I knew what was going on. Since I knew Michael was coming back I told her that it was an old enemy that's like a cockroach). Rodney tries to contact anyone to find out what's going on. They go out on a balcony and see that only the control room still has power. Both of them are very confused. John's Spidey Sense is tingling.

Teyla is trying to contact John and Rodney. When did she go back to calling John 'Colonel Sheppard'?

John is raiding the armory for radios and lights. Rodney's very frustrated that his city is dead. John turns to a soldier named Rivers, not sure where he's from or what branch he's with, and tells him to fan out and find as many Marines as he can then head to the control tower and to keep an eye out for Woolsey. If this was Star Trek, Rivers would be the 'red-shirt' of tonight's episode. Radek shows up and Rodney sends him to the main power room to see if he can reboot the power.

Teyla is stunned by what appears to be some of Michael's hybrids.

In the main power room, Radek is muttering in Czech.

John and Rodney are going up the stairs and I feel for Rodney. I hate stairs, too. Rodney tells Radek to use one of the battery packs to get the mainframe back on line. Then while bitching about all the stairs, he suggests Radek try to get some transporters on line. John is so worried about his city that he's leaving his Mate behind and Rodney doesn't have enough breath to ask him to slow down. They have arrived at the door to the gate room stairwell and it's closed. I'm guessing it's usually open. Rodney thinks it might have been closed prior to the power outage but John thinks it was closed on purpose to keep people out. Radek radios to say he has partial power to Rodney's lab but not the transporters, yet.

John comes upon Lorne and some Marines trying to by-pass a locked stairwell door. Lorne suggests blowing the door with C-4 but John doesn't want to rush into a situation he's unsure of.

Rodney has discovered that someone has hacked into the mainframe and locked him out of several key systems and those he's not locked out of have been changed to read only. John suggests the CC cameras and they all turn to see what's on the boob tube tonight. There's a jumper in the gateroom. And Teyla passed out in a chair in Woolsey's office. She comes to and instantly jumps up to look for Torren John. Michael walks into frame and Rodney asks 'is that...?' and John says 'Yeah'.

Teyla asks how he got in and he tells her that he 'borrowed' the jumper from us. We then jump back to Woolsey giving Ronon the voice recorder. How does Michael know about that? Wouldn't it have made more sense to show us how he got in from his POV since he's telling the story? Amelia is manning the gate tonight. Woolsey approaches and asks if the shield is raised. She says they got Major Nelson's IDC and Woolsey says they're early. When the jumper enters Woolsey notices that it doesn't go straight up to the jumper bay. I thought that that was something the jumpers did automatically but I guess not. When Amelia asks Major Nelson (and who watched this ep without thinking of I Dream of Genie every time someone said 'Major Nelson'?) what his status is a force field goes up around the jumper. Ronon's Spidey Sense tells him that everyone needs to get the frell outta Dodge, yesterday and he starts yelling for everyone to run just as a stun bubble shoots out and stuns everyone in the gateroom. Michael exits the jumper and closes the doors before shutting off power to the city.

Back to the present. Teyla tries to get Michael to tell her his evil plan but he just side-steps the question by congratulating her on the birth of Torren John and asks his name. She refuses to tell him. He tells her that he's going to destroy Atlantis and take Torren John with him. When she reminds him just who he's dealing with he snaps and makes the baby cry. He tells her that he is still strong despite all the havoc our heroes have inflicted.

Down in the lab Lorne and Radek are having a sibling chat (they both have the souls of John's children). Rodney calls Michael a cockroach (this is where my mother gave me a look that asked how I knew Rodney would say that). John comes in and tells Lorne to take his team to one stairwell while he takes his team to the other. He has Rodney go with him (has to protect his Mate and what better way than if he's by his side?) and has Radek stay behind to figure out what's going on and try to fix it (which is understandable seeing as how Radek has the soul of John's daughter). He orders the Marines to take no quarter with Michael. They are allowed to shoot without prejudice.

Ronon comes to in a room with all the people from the gateroom.

One of Michael's hybrids comes to talk with him. Seems that Rodney has made the self-destruct too difficult for some people to figure out. Go, Rodney! That's one sure fire way to make sure the self-destruct can't be used against the city. Michael tells his man to keep at it and he questions him on how long they should do so. You can tell Michael wants to smack the man but he just says 'as long as it takes'. The minion continues to question his leader by saying that it won't take the others all that long to get through the defenses and Michael shows he's a positive thinker by saying that his men will have solved their problem with the self-destruct by then. The minion then whispers 'We have the baby. We don't have to remain here' and Michael reminds him he's in charge and they won't be leaving until he says so. Teyla reminds Michael that John is still out there and is preparing to make his move as they speak. Michael tells her to not worry because John won't be getting into the gateroom. Think again, Michael! John's the hero. He will not only be getting into the gateroom he will kick your sorry ass from here to eternity.

John has now resorted to C-4. Rodney's such a brave little toaster! Following his Mate up those stairs right behind him! Rodney has 'a serious energy reading up ahead' and thinks they should stay put until he can figure out what it is. John doesn't tell Lorne to hold in time to keep him from hitting his head on the 'stun field' (that's what Michael calls it). Rivers has the unpleasant job of telling John that his Childe and 2IC is down. Rodney says they need to disable the stun field and when John asks how Rodney has to admit he's got no clue.

Everyone is in the lab where Rodney and Radek are discussing what's going on and arguing over what to call it. Radek says that Michael is using the jumper to not only power the gateroom but to also power the 'stun bubble' (Rodney hates this term). With the way the two of them argue you'd think they had the souls of siblings and not mother and daughter…oh, on second thought they do argue just like my mother and myself, or Vic and myself, do. When John gets them to stop arguing Rodney starts to say 'Look if we want to disable the stun…' the changes it to 'force field'. Rodney says they need to disable the power supply from the jumper and Radek says that they could just disable the mainframe lockouts that Michael has in place. When John asks how that's going Rodney says 'It's not' and Radek responds with 'Not yet'. John tells them to keep working on it while he goes and checks on his Childe.

Ronon is once again trying to pry open air-tight doors with his bare hands. Did he learn nothing from The Lost Tribe? Amelia is the second one to wake up. She looks around at all the unconscious bodies on the floor and he tells her not to worry that everyone has a different level of resistance. He has her put her scientific mind to work on opening the door.

Up in the gateroom, Michael's watching his minions try to set the self-destruct. Teyla sees Woolsey's ear-piece on his desk and just as she's reaching for it, Michael enters the office to tell her he doesn't understand what happened. He reminds her that she alone showed him compassion when Carson gave him the retrovirus. He invites her to join him. She says she'd rather die. He tells her that he won't harm them; says she has to believe him. She says she can't trust the word of a murderer. He explodes demanding to know why she can't understand that he became what he is out of necessity. She counters with 'You became what you are out of vengeance'. He asks if criminals are not brought to justice on her world. She doesn't see what he's doing as justice. He shoves the blame for his crimes off onto the Atlantis expedition by saying that the people he killed would not have died if they hadn't turned him into a monster. Typical villain. Blaming the hero for his evilness. He finally just says 'It's your choice. Come with me and live or stay here and die. Either way I'm taking your child' in a cold voice and turns to storm out.

John is all about blowing shit up tonight! He says they need to blow the jumper up. His way of thinking is blow the jumper and cut the power. Rodney thinks his Mate is cracked. John suggests they fire a drone at it and Radek tells him they don't have enough power for the chair. John says they'll use another jumper. Rodney points out that they can't get to the jumper bay since it is directly over the control room. John remembers the underwater bay from The Return Part 2. Rodney starts getting all hedgy about the jumpers in the underwater bay. John asks what's wrong, he knows his Mate too well, and is told that there are only a couple of jumpers down there. John says that's okay because they only need one and Radek tells him that they were damaged in the flood ( What? How? They're already under water!) and they can't fly. John says that was two years ago and Rodney already fixed them. But of course he didn't because they're low on the list. John tells Radek to stay in the lab and work on Michael's lockouts and Rodney wants to know why he can't stay. He really doesn't want to be alone with his Mate right now. Rodney, this is what happens when you ignore your 'Honey do' list! Rodney asks if there's a transporter and Radek says yes and no. There's not one near the jumper bay but there is one two levels down. John says that'll do and Radek smirks at Rodney's discomfort as John and Rodney go trotting off to save the day.

Amelia manages to open the door and there's a hybrid standing guard outside that they then proceed to beat up. Ronon seems surprised she can fight and she confirms that she's taken five years of kickboxing. Woolsey's awake and demanding to know what happened. Where ever Michael had been keeping them it's on the same level, or at least within the stun field, as the gateroom because Ronon goes charging in there on his own. Woolsey, Ronon and two Marines take off for the armory to get weapons. Ronon tells Amelia to stay there and try to keep everyone calm and if any more hybrids show up to just do what she did earlier. Hey, Ronon? How about you set your sights on Amelia since Keller is gonna fall for *gag* Rodney soon. They get to the armory and overhear Michael and his 'lead hybrid' talking. Michael tells him to arm the self-destruct and then turn control back to Atlantis just as they're leaving. Ronon goes back to where he left Woolsey and the Marines and says there's been a change in plans and asks Woolsey to return to the others.

Up in Woolsey's office Teyla sees a chance to grab the ear-piece off the desk and tries to contact John. Michael sees Ronon coming and ducks just before a stun blast would have hit him. Teyla sees a chance for escape and takes it. Radek tells John that Ronon is in the control room. As she's running down a hall she encounters Woolsey and tells him that Ronon needs help. They start getting chased by a hybrid. Michael throws Ronon over the railing and he lands in such a way as to dislocate his shoulder and knock him unconscious.

Rodney is being his usual pessimistic self with how many problems there are with the two jumpers. John tells him to take parts from the non-working jumper and use them in the working jumper. Rodney says it's a long shot that it'll work but John doesn't care.

Up in the control tower Teyla and Woolsey are still running around. She says they need to get to the control room and Woolsey says not without weapons. As they're running down some steps he runs into the stun field and collapses down the rest of the steps. Teyla is uncertain of what to do. She takes off in one direction and hears footsteps approaching so she hides out of sight. When the hybrid stops to look at Woolsey unconscious at the bottom of the stairs she approaches and kicks him down the stairs. (I somehow missed all this the first time around) She then hides from another hybrid inside one of the wall panels. Torren John begins to cry but the hybrid thinks he's hearing things and moves on.

Down in the jumper bay Rodney tells John to try turning the jumper on. He has life support, drive pods but not weapons.

Up in the gateroom two hybrids are having to tell Michael that Teyla is missing. He sets the self-destruct early to flush Teyla out.

Rodney is freaking because Michael set the self-destruct for ten minutes and it'll take him longer than that to fix the drones. John says he'll just crash the jumper into the tower and Rodney talks his Mate out of it by telling him that the inertial dampeners are out and he'll have to crash into Michael's jumper with enough force to do serious damage and that would mean he'd risk hurting himself along the way. Rodney tells him that it's a suicide mission as if John hasn't gone on them before.

In the tower, Teyla and Torren John are still hiding in the wall panel when Michael comes on the PA and tells her that if she turns herself and Torren John over to him he'll spare everyone on Atlantis but if not, he'll kill them all! Bwahahaha! *cough* Sorry, got caught up in the evil genius thing.

Down in the jumper bay, Rodney has slipped into 'wife mode' and is telling John to be careful. He reminds him that if he hits the gas too hard coming out of the jumper bay he'll flatten like a pancake. Rodney wants to say something. The slasher in me says he wants to tell John he loves him. *squee* John just reminds him it's not his first suicide mission. John says 'How many suicide missions have I flown?' and Rodney admits he's lost count. Rodney then says 'Here's to many more' and they shake hands. C'mon, guys! You should be kissing like John's going off to war! Rodney, honey, access Constance's memories and then do what she used to do when John would ride off with the Musketeers. And don't forget to tell him to return home the way he left, in one piece, so he can say that he's not leaving in one piece because you hold his heart. All together now, 'Awwwww!' Radek calls Rodney to tell him that he's managed to override some of Michael's lockout codes. Rodney asks if he can shut off the self-destruct and is told no, but he can open some of the access doors to the gateroom. That, of course does them no good because of the stun field. John asks about the transporter on that level and is told that that one's still not working either. Rodney then asks if Radek can lower the gate's shield. Rodney gets all giddy when he hears that Radek can do that and tells John he doesn't have to go on his kamikaze run because all he has to do is get close to the gate, dial a random planet and then when the shield is lowered the vortex will destroy most of Michael's jumper. John gets up to leave and Rodney's all 'Just where do you think you're going?' and John tells him that he'll be flying the jumper so that John can lead the strike team. Poor Rodney. Still not so sure of his piloting skills.

Michael's 'lead hybrid' is telling him they need to leave but he refuses to leave without Torren John. He tries again to get Teyla to come out of hiding. He uses guilt by saying she's not a good mother because by staying in hiding she is sentencing her son to death. Finally she tells him to turn off the self-destruct and she will go with him. Michael's being prodded into leaving and he tells Teyla that she disappoints him and that he'll leave her to the fate she has chosen. He then tells her he has Torren John's DNA and so can clone him. Michael makes his way to the jumper to leave but just has to stop to cut off Ronon's dreads. I was shouting at the screen for Ronon to remain unconscious just long enough for Michael to cut them all off but the shield drops just as he's about to make his cut and so he doesn't cut even one. While Michael is distracted, John has Radek drop the shield so that Rodney can dial the gate. As soon as the gate 'eats' half the jumper the stun field is down and the strike team rushes in. Radek reboots the city and we get a nice effect of the city's lights coming on. John shoots Michael and I have flashbacks to the movie Beneath the Planet of the Apes where Charlton Heston is having the shootout with the apes (again I apologize there was a 'behind the scenes' thing on this weekend for all the original Planet of the Apes movies). The music even sounds similar. John chases Michael up to the jumper bay and orders Radek to close the bay doors.

Teyla has made her way to where everyone has been held and asks Amelia to watch Torren John while she goes kick some hybrid butt.

Michael realizes he is now trapped and starts looking for a way out. He makes it to the top of the tower and manages to catch John by surprise, knocking the P90 from John's hands and almost throwing him off the ledge. John's punches barely even turn Michael's head. Now the music sounds more like a Batman soundtrack. John's getting the shit kicked outta him when Teyla appears and does some ass kicking of her own! Let this be a lesson to all villains: never mess with a mother. Teyla and John manage to knock Michael over the edge and as he's hanging there she walks over and kicks his fingers causing him to lose his grip and fall. One can only hope that this time they make sure he's dead, like they did with Kolya.

Ronon is in the infirmary and Woolsey comes in to see how he's doing. This angers Ronon and Woolsey has to remind him that he only fell down a flight of stairs whereas Ronon was 'hurled from a much greater height'. When Woolsey says he's lucky he didn't break his neck, Ronon drags his hand over his chest from left to right and then makes a throwing motion and says 'Nothing. I'm fine'. Continuity error! At the start of the scene, Ronon is on top of the covers of his bed and when the camera changes angels for the chest rub and throw, he's under them. Pay attention, guys! This is what the script supervisor is for. Us fans, we catch all these little things and we will haunt you with them! Bwahahaha! *clears throat* Sorry. Ronon then hands Woolsey the recorder. As he walks away, Woolsey hits the play button and we hear Ronon's idea of a mission report: 'Michael invaded Atlantis. Tried to blow it up. We stop him. End of report.'

And the boys are back to playing with their toys. This time they don't come close to tripping Teyla. When she asks who's winning they both say 'I am!' Rodney asks if Torren John is still colicky and is told that no, he's just not sleepy. She's amazed that he slept through everything. Rodney confirms that Michael is gone for good but Teyla says that is of little consolation seeing as how someone else will be there to fill the void. John says that Torren John shouldn't worry because he has 'super mom watching his back'. Torren John will never lack for playmates because John and Rodney will always be there to help him get into mischief.

to the top

Remnants

We open on the team, minus John, eating breakfast and Teyla and Rodney talking about how lonely Woolsey appears. Rodney, naturally, hasn't really noticed but mother hen, Teyla, has. Ronon pipes up with 'Sometimes when I walk past his quarters at night I hear him crying'. Rodney falls for it hook, line and sinker. When Woolsey approaches their table, Teyla invites him to join them but he declines. He uses the excuse of his impending performance evaluation, saying he's 'apprehensive' about it. Teyla hastens to assure him that he's done a wonderful job as the new commander. Rodney belatedly realizes his Mate isn't at the table and is told that John flew some astrobiologists to the mainland. Ronon twists the knife by making sure that Rodney knows that John agreed to stay with them overnight. We now get jealous Rodney! When Rodney asks why John would do that Ronon tries to give him the ol' wink, wink, nudge, nudge but Rodney's not getting it.

We then see just why Ronon was goading Rodney. One of the scientists is a very pretty woman. In my world, John only agreed so he could sound her out about being one of his, Rodney's, Lorne's and Vega's Chosen. While she is very easy on the eyes, John's bored outta his gourd by her science talk. When did shorts become part of the away team uniform? Or are they only wearing them because they didn't actually leave the planet thereby not really expecting any danger? Anyway, while she's talking and John's trying to not fall asleep, Parrish yells out that he found something. John is instantly on alert and runs off while telling her to stay put. And just like Rodney, she doesn't obey that order. Parrish is all atwitter because he found a plant that is similar to one that has been extinct on Earth for a year. That's right, Parrish is excited about a plant that went extinct in 2007! John just sighs and says 'Oh, God. Lorne warned me about this!' John says he's gonna go set up camp and asks the pretty scientist to join him. She doesn't even respond, just starts encouraging Parrish. John walks off muttering about them knocking themselves out because that's what they're there for and they'll be there all night. Before John gets anywhere near the jumper he's hit by a stun blast.

When John comes to his hands are tied behind his back, his feet tied together and all his weapons and his radio are missing.

Back in the city, Woolsey is entering a transporter with his arms full. There's a really pretty woman in the transporter with him. We find out that his quarters are on the southeast pier, level 19. Vanessa is impressed and calls it 'the penthouse suite'. Woolsey is a bit flustered by a pretty woman flirting with him. When they arrive at Woolsey's destination, he says 'Nice to meet you, Doctor' and she says 'Vanessa. You can call me 'Vanessa'. He starts to say 'You can call me...' when the doors close on him and as he turns dejectedly away, he finishes '...'Dick'.'

Back on the mainland, John has found a sharp rock and is cutting the ropes tied around his wrists. He quickly discovers that whoever stunned him has taken all his weapons. They even took his radio. When he finally makes it to the jumper he finds it trashed beyond repair. Rodney is so going to kill him for damaging another jumper.

Back in the city, Radek enters Rodney's lab and Rodney wants to know why he's not off-world being the guest of honor at some diplomatic dinner. Radek says that three members of the military team sent to protect him got food poisoning. As Radek continues to talk, Rodney says 'Yeah, um, FYI, this conversation ended six seconds ago.' Geez, Rodney. I know you get impatient and really don't care about people's personal lives, but c'mon! Radek has the soul of your daughter! Show some interest in what he has to say. Radek then says that on the way back he had an idea. Rodney's response? 'Have a little Lie-down, it'll pass'. I had to snicker at that one. Radek wants to run a scan of the ocean floor. Rodney's convinced that there is nothing of value on the ocean floor. I'm convinced that John needs to make sure his Mate knows how to be a proper Co-Leader before leaving him alone like that.

Back on the mainland, John's trying to fix the jumper but he's no Rodney McKay. Something outside the jumper has caught John's eye. It's a foot print. And my Spidey Sense tells me it doesn't belong to one of the scientists.

Back in the city Woolsey's in the gateroom practicing how to greet someone who is about to arrive. That someone is the woman who will be conducting his performance evaluation.

Back on the mainland, John has found where he left the scientists in disarray. There has been a mighty struggle. You can tell he's very worried about the safety of his people.

In the city Woolsey is giving Xiao a tour. He introduces her to Amelia. And calls Chuck 'Chet'.

Radek is still trying to get Rodney to let him scan the ocean floor. Radek sparks Rodney's competitive side by saying 'If, on the other hand, I do find something, perhaps they'll name something after me for a change.'

While Woolsey is giving Xiao the grand tour, we discover that it has been nine months since he took command. She tells him that he's going home, which is not what he wants.

Rodney has reconfigured the scanners and is preparing to go get a snack when the computer beeps telling everyone it found something.

Back on the mainland, John is stalking through the woods looking for his missing scientists when something catches his eye; it's a Genii soldier. John tries to sneak up on him but when he gets there, the soldier is gone! Then a voice off camera says 'Hello, John' and everyone knows it's Kolya!

Xiao is trying to convince Woolsey that going home is a good thing. Turns out that there must be something in the water on Atlantis because even straight-laced Woolsey has been bending the rules since he arrived and the IOA doesn't like it.

Radek and Rodney have retrieved the object from the ocean floor. They begin scanning it to see what it might be.

Back on the mainland, Kolya has John tied to a tree and his men out looking for the scientists. Another line that made me laugh in the episode: "They're scientists. Trust me, they don't run very fast.' John is confused how Kolya could be there in front of him when Carson confirmed that John did, indeed, kill him the last time they encountered each other in Irresponsible. Kolya says he was using an Ancient device. John then asks how he found them and is told that some of their off-world contacts aren't as trustworthy as he thought. Kolya then tells him that after a half-day's walk they'd reach the edge of the mainland and then maybe another two days by boat will have them knocking on Atlantis' door. John, of course, tells him that he won't get anywhere near Atlantis and is told that they'll be too busy counting the dead to worry about an invasion. Kolya wants to send an explosion through the gate to cripple the defenses and John tells him to 'go to hell' at which point Kolya puts on a glove and begins to beat the shit outta him.

Back in the city, Woolsey is holding up a suit in the mirror and looking like he'd rather go naked to his high school prom. Vanessa shows up to invite him to movie night. She gets him to tell her that he's been relieved of duty. She tells him to fight it. He then goes and finds Xiao to tell her that he's going to fight the decision. He figures out that she wants his position.

Back on the mainland, John has yet to give in. Kolya asks why John can take so much abuse and he jokes 'Well, I was married, once'. Actually he can take so much because of his healing abilities. Vampire, remember? Oh, right. Kolya doesn't know that. Kolya finally figures out that beating John physically isn't the way so he goes for the psychological; telling him he's not a very good protector of his people. Seeing how not beat up John looks has to be a clue to something. Kolya soon decides that John's not going to give him what it is he wants so he goes for the more direct approach. He calls two of his men to come help.

Back in the city, Rodney is still analyzing the device found on the ocean floor. Rodney says it's emitting some kind of low-level radiation and Radek thinks that's not very important and tries to get Rodney to focus on deciphering the data. He even calls Rodney brilliant, which he is, and which is yet another clue to...something. It does the trick and gets Rodney to focus on the data.

Back on the mainland, John is trying to get Kolya to tell him his plan. Kolya says he's gonna have his men repair the jumper then use it to attack the city. John reminds him that his men need the gene to fly the jumper and, oops, they don't have it. Kolya says that won't be a problem because John's going to give them a hand. I'm fairly sure everyone jumped to the correct conclusion here and knew that Kolya was going to cut off John's hand, or at least threaten to. I was certain that John would offer to do what they want at the last minute. John on his knees is a very pretty sight. *drools* Kolya pulls out this wicked looking machete. He swings...and it fades to black as he brings it down on John's wrist.

John comes to with his hand bandaged, or rather his stump. He begins to hyperventilate and Kolya continues the psychological torture.

In the city, Radek is upset that Rodney left the lab. He once again stresses that Rodney should be focusing on the data. Rodney says he's not getting anywhere with it despite being a genius and Radek reminds him he said 'brilliant' not 'genius' and Rodney says something I haven't heard anyone say in a really long time 'Same diff' as in 'same difference'. We used to say it in the late 80's when someone would correct us on something we said. It's kinda like saying 'yeah, right' when you mean to say 'no fucking way' only here it means 'that's what I meant'. Rodney can't understand why he can't figure it out since it's only 'twelve symbols in an endlessly yet varying sequence'. Radek says something about being asked to figure out the password for an alien laptop and that has the light bulb going off in Rodney's mind.

Vanessa is standing on a balcony and Woolsey approaches and tells her she poached his private spot. She's on the balcony where he goes to think. He then asks her to dinner. Amelia then comes to tell him that Rodney wants to see him. As he leaves we see Xiao hiding in the shadows. It's here that I get the feeling that only Woolsey, and us, can see Vanessa.

Rodney is excited because the device is the historical, scientific and technological records of an extinct civilization. He says it's incredible and Woolsey agrees then says 'I sense a 'but' coming' and Rodney hastens to assure him there is no 'but; a 'by the way' maybe, but no 'but'. The problem is if they open it now they kill the last of the way for this civilization to continue. They can either take the data or send the pod on its way, but not both. If they take the data they are effectively killing off potentially millions of people that would have lived if the device had made its way to its proper destination.

Kolya is telling John that he's disappointed in him. He thinks he's broken John and says he can't believe he broke this easily. I never realized that Joe could act so well with just his eyes but in this scene you can see John planning his escape and the eventual killing of Kolya, which will be slow and painful; and probably start with the man's hands. One of Kolya's men comes running up to say that the jumper is operational. I have to stop right here and remind the writers that Ancient tech requires not just the gene but also a mental component to work. And I'm fairly sure they designed their tech to be able to detect the difference between someone using the genetic material of someone with the gene and a real live ATA carrier. But enough of that, while Kolya is talking to his lackey, John has made good his escape.

Woolsey arrives in the gateroom and greets a woman tech we've never seen before by name. When he passes Chuck he says 'Hello…you' then goes on to Amelia's station to ask her to send a message to Vanessa asking if they can reschedule their dinner plans. Amelia tells him that there is no Dr. Vanessa Conrad in Atlantis.

Kolya's men are chasing John and for someone with only one hand he sure does tie a pretty damn good knot! He manages to take out three of them.

Woolsey tells Amelia that he was talking to Vanessa when she approached him earlier that day and she says that he was alone on the balcony. It appears he's starting to figure something's wrong with his mind.

John takes out two more of Kolya's men.

Woolsey goes to see Keller. This is the scene that had most of the fandom up in arms. Keller scanned Woolsey and when she found nothing, and he refuses to tell her the truth instead making up the excuse that he's over-worked and not sleeping, she hands him some sleeping pills and says to try and rest. While Woolsey's being scanned Vanessa shows up and says there's nothing wrong with him. He demands to know what's going on and Keller, who has her back to the camera in a very unflattering shot of her flat ass, says that she's still going over his results. He starts having a conversation with Vanessa not getting it, yet, that no one else can see her.

Rodney is still going over the readings about the radiation the device is emitting. Radek is still not convinced it's anything to worry about. Suddenly the computer beeps causing Rodney to get worried. He recognizes the modulated ultra-low frequency from the device and is not a happy camper about it.

John fools a Genii soldier into thinking his killed him then throws a knife and gets the guy right in the heart.

Vanessa finally tells Woolsey that she's the device's AI. Xiao comes in and Woolsey has to find a way to get rid of her. She tells him she saw him talking to 'himself'. She also says 'that a casual observer might find that sort of behavior a little disconcerting'. So, she's never thought out loud? Never had a conversation with herself? I'm thinking she has and is just trying to get Woolsey to give up the fight and go home with his tail tucked between his legs. They start talking about the device and when Xiao says it is an impressive find Vanessa says 'That doesn't belong to you'. He can't tell her to shut up with Xiao in the room. If Vanessa's as smart as she wants us all to believe then she'd see that she needs to be quiet when there are others in the room. When he tries to tell Xiao that there are other issues to consider and Xiao asks 'Such as?' Vanessa can't help but say 'The fate of another race' causing Woolsey to jump to his feet and demand she stay out of it. Xiao, of course, thinks he's talking to her and insists she won't. Xiao tries to guilt him into doing what she wants by saying that this is his opportunity to show the team back home that he knows how to play ball or he could just hand his job over to her on a silver platter.

John thinks he's taken out Kolya but when he gets to the spot where he saw Kolya fall he's not there. Kolya jumps him from behind and they wrestle until John falls over the side of a cliff. He manages to grab into a protruding root just in time to keep from falling to his death.

Woolsey is telling Xiao that he's not playing her game when Rodney domes in and says the radiation the device is giving off is similar to the Wraith device from Phantoms. Xiao tells Rodney to salvage the data and Woolsey says 'Thank you all...both for enlightening me' and tells them he'll have a decision shortly while all but shoving them from his room.

Kolya tells John to use his other hand and climb back up because he has no intention of letting John die. We get a nice shot of either Joe or his stunt double's ass, and can clearly see the harness under his pants, as he climbs back up the cliff. Now we get Vanessa and Kolya both telling the story of the people who built the device. Vanessa tells Woolsey that she was trying to get a read on him to see what kind of man he is and if he'd help her people. Kolya tells John that he was being distracted because if anyone was to use force to secure the device it would be John, the military man. John doesn't like the fact that the AI used Kolya as its means of distracting him. Especially the cutting off of his hand. Kolya is making John take a good long look at himself by telling him he tortures himself every day and that he was the architect of his own self-deception.

John finally makes his way back to the jumper and is greeted by Parrish demanding to know where he's been. John just says 'Shut up. Get in the jumper.'

Xiao is receiving a transmission from Earth telling her that they will not be offering her Woolsey's job. As she leaves she makes a remark about getting the transmission. Amelia says there hasn't been a dial-out in days. Woolsey looks over to the side and sees Vanessa and knows what happened. Rodney and John wheels out the device and Woolsey asks Vanessa what will happen when she reaches her final destination and Rodney thinks he's talking to him, for just a second. John and Woolsey can see her, but Rodney can't. She tells John that she realizes it might have been an unpleasant experience and he says 'Well, yeah, just a little bit'. Rodney is very upset that he can't see her. So she rewards him by showing him the true form of her people.

The team is once again eating together and Teyla invites Woolsey to join them. This time he does. Rodney tries to tell everyone that he would have known. He even says that it must have known it wouldn't have been able to fool him so it didn't even bother. John then makes a remark about how the AI revealed itself before Rodney found the device. Rodney says that Radek was a part of it. John says Radek is off-world. And then Rodney realizes that Radek was a hallucination.

to the top

Brain Storm

I'm afraid I couldn't watch this one again so I could review it. It was just...too...*shudder* My reasons for not being able to do so, and exactly what I don't like about Keller, are listed here in a 'rant' of sorts by Wraithfodder.

to the top

Infection

We get a "previously on Stargate Atlantis" montage, which is really just scenes from The Lost Tribe. Once that's done we get a shot of Atlantis just sitting prettily on the water. What I wouldn't give to be able to go live there, if it actually exists that is.

Ronon, Teyla, Woolsey and Rodney are looking at a long range scanner that's tracking a hive ship that's headed for the planet. They've been tracking them for days and they will be at the planet within minutes. Woolsey asks if the cloak is ready and Rodney says it is but he still says the shield is a better option because the cloak doesn't protect them from being fired upon. Woolsey says that would only be a problem if they knew their exact position on the planet and Rodney says 'What, you're assuming they don't?' Woolsey stands his ground and reminds Rodney that it's better to be safe than sorry and just throwing up the shield would tell the Wraith where they are for sure. He then asks what John's status is and we see John in The Chair. I guess he's gonna use some drones to fight the Wraith. Woolsey tells Rodney to engage the cloak and he grumbles but obeys the order. We then get the very expensive effect of the city being cloaked. Now we just sit and wait for the Wraith to show up. When the hive ship drops out of hyperspace it just takes up orbit around the planet leaving everyone highly confused as to what's going on. Teyla asks if they know they're there and at that moment a transmission comes through. Rodney does his thing and says it's some kind of file. Woolsey tells him to pull it up on a firewalled computer and Rodney, still deep in his thinking mode, just mumbles 'yeah' and rolls his chair over to another computer. Rodney opens the file and all we see are figures scrolling on the screen. Ronon asks 'What's it say?' and Rodney mutters 'It's nothing… just a random bunch of…' then snaps his fingers as a thought comes to him. Woolsey asks 'What is it?' and Rodney tells him it's encrypted and it's the same kind of algorithm they use on the Daedalus. Once Rodney decodes it we see a very corrupted file with Todd telling our heroes to not fire and requesting help. Everyone's confused as to what the message means but the ominous music tells us it's bad, very bad.

We open with John in The Chair demanding to know what they mean when they say they couldn't understand the message. What do you think that means, honey? Remember that your Mate is a very, very, very, smart man. If he couldn't understand the message then that means the file was corrupted and the message was garbled. Rodney's voice when he explains this to John shows he's said it more than once. Woolsey pipes up with 'Though from what we could tell it seemed like he was asking for our help'. John wants to know 'with what?' Rodney responds, in a voice that holds no conviction whatsoever, 'Something to do with Jennifer's gene therapy?' John doesn't like Keller anymore than I do as evidenced by his wince every time Rodney says her name. He reminds Rodney that they already offered to let Todd test it and he double-crossed them. Ronon, being the warrior he is, suggests they just blow them outta the sky. Woolsey appears to actually think about that one before saying that he finds it odd that Todd (hehe that rhymes) knowing that their knee-jerk reaction would be to do just that. Teyla wants to know why Todd sent a file instead of radioing them directly. Rodney thinks that whatever Todd wants must be very important. Teyla suggests they radio back and tell him they didn't receive the file correctly and Rodney tells her that that would leave them vulnerable to attack so he suggests a jumper. Woolsey's hesitant to allow that and asks if there's any way to clean up the video and Rodney says 'no' so Woolsey allows Rodney's plan and calls John.

In the jumper Rodney and Ronon are not wearing tack vests. While Ronon has never worn one, Rodney used to and I find it very odd that John would start letting his Mate go on missions without the protection of a vest. They approach the hive and John tries to contact them but gets no response. He asks Rodney if they're receiving and Rodney says they should be then goes all 'Oooo' as something exciting shows up on his datapadd. Rodney says he's not detecting any life signs and Teyla agrees. Rodney reminds everyone that the Wraith don't show up as life signs when they're hibernating so that must be why he's not detecting them. John's skeptical about all of them hibernating at the same time and Rodney says they could have programmed the ship to head to Lantea and then send the message when it arrived. Ronon wants to know why and Rodney says there's only one way to find out.

Down on the planet, Amelia says they're receiving a signal from John on a secure channel. When Woolsey responds John tells him about the no life signs thing and that they're going to go in and see what's what. Woolsey thinks it might be a trap and John tells him he's flattered he thinks Todd would go to all this trouble to kill him. Then he says one of the funniest lines of the episode 'Look, taking out a hive ship is always a good thing as far as I'm concerned, but we did come all this way, got all dressed up…' while looking over his shoulder at where Teyla's sitting wearing her off-world uniform. Woolsey allows it.

Once on the ship we find the fog machine stuck on 'heavy fog' and the walls looking sickly. They get to the bridge and Rodney's the only one not carrying a gun. He's not even wearing a thigh holster. I find I really miss seeing him carry a P90. Rodney steps up to a console and does his thing only to discover that the Wraith haven't given themselves a wake-up call. Turns out that usually when a Hive goes into hibernation they leave a few crewmembers awake to monitor the pods and wake the rest when it's time but since they didn't do that here, Rodney was assuming (and we all know what happens when one assumes, don't we?) that they'd've left a wake-up call of some sort but they didn't which means that if SGA-1 doesn't wake them they never will. Ronon's okay with that. So am I, just for the record. There's a power fluctuation that leads to Rodney discovering that several of the ship's systems are malfunctioning and Todd's video file, intact. He activates the file and they find out that Todd stole some of the gene therapy while they occupied the Daedalus because he was curious if it would actually work. It did, at first. Soon his people grew sick and died. While Todd's telling his story, the camera pans over the faces of SGA-1. John looks confused, Rodney intrigued, Teyla concerned and Ronon pleased.

Back on the planet, John's telling Woolsey about what they found. John suggests they just shoot them out of the sky and Woolsey says they need to find a way to fix the problem so they can 'fix' the Wraith problem. Is that similar to how one goes about 'fixing' the homosexual problem so many people have? Ronon says that he thinks it works just fine because it kills Wraith. Woolsey sees that as genocide, which it is. Woolsey sends SGA-1 back up there but this time with Keller *gag*, Lorne's team *yay!* and another unit of Marines *red shirts*

Back on the Hive, Lorne tells his Sire that his men have set up a perimeter. At that moment there's a power fluctuation and John growls at Rodney. Rodney just reminds his Mate that the ship's systems are acting up a little. John just says 'Get it fixed' and Rodney mutters, almost under his breath, 'Give me a few minutes'. We now meet Red Shirt One as he goes to investigate an odd sound he hears.

I have to pause here and ask if there's ever a moment during Basic when recruits are told that going to investigate a strange noise just might kill them or are they told that what you learn from even B-horror movies isn't true. I wonder this because anyone who has ever seen any kind of horror movie knows that when you're on a creepy spaceship, or in the woods late at night, or in a creepy old house late at night, that you DO NOT under any circumstances go toward the creepy sounds! I mean, seriously. Okay, I'm done. For now.

So, this Red Shirt, I mean Marine, approaches a 'wall' and watches in horror as it 'melts'. Oh, this Red Shirt has a name: Lieutenant Williams. He calls Lorne to tell him that he really should have begged off today because of partaking in that Athosian ritual the night before where he had to ingest some drugs that now have him hallucinating about the 'wall' 'melting'. He has both John and Lorne on an open channel while he goes to investigate further when the 'wall' stops 'melting' and they hear him die a painful and horrible death. Yeah, he's Red Shirt number one. The creature that kills him appears to be a Drone. I'm guessing at that because the face is similar to what we saw in the episode where Todd was growing his own Drones.

Keller's unloading her supplies when Rodney enters and they have a bit of conversation about what happened to the Wraith. For some reason the therapy created a type of cancer. She then strokes his ego by putting herself down. Um, Sweetie? Forced modesty isn't pretty on anyone. Least of all you, the woman who told Ronon she was flattered by his interest but was seeing someone already before Ronon made his intentions clear and before you had even told Rodney that he was dating you. Rodney then 'reassures' her and stands up to rub her neck and it looks like a total afterthought on David's part.

Lorne and John are looking for Williams when someone calls off camera that they found something. Our two flyboys hustle to join the rest of the search party and what they find is just Williams' P90. John picks it up and says it hasn't been fired. Lorne wants to call in some more personnel to help with the search but John says he has a better idea. He calls Rodney to see if the ship's schematics are loaded into the LDS and is told they are. Now we see Lorne and John walking around with an LDS looking for life signs. This scene proves that Lorne either has the gene naturally, my theory, or was given the ATA gene therapy. We also see Ronon and Teyla walking around with an LDS. Whoever wrote this script obviously knows diddly squat about the show. They have Teyla holding the LDS. Only ATA carriers can operate an LDS and unless Teyla was given the therapy without us being told, she shouldn't be able to use it. Lorne and John discover that something's not quite right about the schematics of the Hive. They've come to a dead end that should be an open corridor. John's so funny here. Lorne's looking at the LDS and says 'What the hell is this? It's supposed to be an open corridor' and walks up to the wall that's blocking his way, looking at it like he has no idea what it is. He even touches it; guess he was thinking it might be a figment of his imagination. John walks up behind him and says 'Let me see'. What, does John think his XO is lying to him? *snicker* Anyway, Lorne hands over the LDS no questions asked. So John does what he always does: he calls Rodney and accuses him of screwing up tells him something's wrong with the ship's schematics. And Rodney reacts the way he always does: he accuses John of not following his instructions on how to work the Ancient tech he tells him he's never wrong so John needs to quit playing with him. As John and Lorne walk away so they can double back and find another way around, Teyla calls to say they found Williams and it's not pretty. All that's really left is a leg. John asks what happened and Ronon states the obvious: he was attacked. John asks 'by who?' as if Ronon knows. John, honey, Ronon has been with you or Teyla for most of the show so why do you think he'll know who killed Williams? Ronon tells him he doesn't know but whoever it was tried to eat him. John asks 'you mean feed on him?' and Ronon says 'no, I mean eat him. With teeth, like an animal.' The look on Lorne's face says it all: 'Ewwwwwwwwwwww!' John tells him to find someone to come get the body and at that time Lorne picks up a third life sign in his LDS. John and Lorne come across a room and enter it because that's where the life sign is coming from. They find it empty, then just as they're leaving one of the drones jumps out and attacks John. John and Lorne manage to kill it just as Teyla and Ronon arrive. Rodney, of course, isn't happy with the turn of events. And, as usual, Keller is there to remind us that it's all about her. She has her 'Oh, poor me' voice going as she says that it's all her fault because she took away the only practical feeding mechanism they ever knew. Ronon asks how it got out and Rodney says there must be a failsafe that shuts down a pod if the power fluctuates. Keller demands to know if he'll save her before John the other pods are secure and Rodney says he thinks so because he never really figured out what was wrong. Teyla asks if there's a way to know if the other pods are fine and Rodney says they could always go down and look and John says he has a better idea: 'Let's get the hell outta here'. Keller doesn't want to leave. I'm thinking she's hoping John'll bite it so she can have Rodney all to herself, she doesn't know they're vampires (they don't like her enough to trust her with that secret so Nick sent a Chosen to play doctor for just the two of them). She uses the IOA as her excuse and John says they can sue him. So our team head off for home. Or so they think. With all the problems on the Hive, they can no longer access the dart bay.

Rodney thinks he's figured out what's going on. They know the ships are organic from the episode where Keller got infected by the Wraith virus that creates their hive ships so he says it's reconfiguring itself incorrectly, he never actually says why he thinks this, but he says it's the only logical explanation. John tells him to call Atlantis and have them send more jumpers and some Combat Engineers and Rodney has the unpleasant task of telling his Mate that the comms are off line. Ronon's not happy that they're suck on the hive for the time being. Rodney suggests they revive Todd. Keller pipes up to remind us, yet again, that it is indeed all about her because she hasn't found a cure yet. Thought you were a genius; a child prodigy. Shouldn't you have figured this out by now? Oh, right. You're only here for the geek boys to masturbate salivate over because the writers have a huge frelling crush on your actress. I really hate that they turned my show into The Jennifer Keller Show. I mean really. This was only her second season on the show and she's already had more episodes where she was a main character than Joe who is the star. Anyway, she says that Todd might not live long if the revive him and John says that's the part he likes best about the plan. The console behind Rodney beeps and he says the navigation is acting up so they need to make their decision quick.

Teyla, Ronon and John go to Todd's pod (that rhymes!) and Ronon asks John if he's sure. Of course he's not sure but if they want to go home they don't really have a choice. Todd says he didn't think they'd come and Teyla tells him they need him to fix his ship. He can't believe they woke him for that.

Back in the control room, Todd's doing something and Rodney tells him he tried that already earning him a snarl and a hiss from a very grumpy Todd. Rodney makes a snarky comment about Todd waking up on the wrong side of the pod that morning. Todd them gets angry and says the systems are acting up and Rodney says 'That's what I've been trying to tell you!' Todd then accuses Rodney of tampering with his ship. Todd says 'Nothing's acting the way it should. It's almost as if...' John jumps in with 'What?' but those of you playing along at home have probably already figured out that the virus that is killing the Wraith has gotten into the ship's systems. When Todd tells Keller she doesn't believe him. Did no one think that since the ship is a living thing that it too, can get sick? I mean, seriously? Todd says they have to find the cure and Keller reminds us that she's not as smart as she should be. Everyone's worried about the Wraith waking up while they're on board so Rodney comes up with a plan that'll kill them if their pods start to malfunction.

Keller and Todd are working when Todd doubles over in pain. Keller calmly asks if he's okay then says she's sorry without the least bit of actual regret in her voice or expression. In fact she looks like she just swallowed a lemon while she's apologizing. She tells Todd that she thought the treatment would make things better and Todd begins to laugh. Even at this point when most people's voices would be pitched with anger or embarrassment at being laughed at hers is almost a monotone. It would appear that Jewel has two tones for her voice: the annoying high pitch that she uses when she thinks her character should be showing fear and this monotone for all other situations. Todd says he was amused by her apologizing to him and she tells him it's because he doesn't understand compassion, that he views it as a weakness. He asks 'Isn't it?' and she says 'No, not by a long shot'. He then tells her that John wouldn't agree with her and she reminds him that John's a soldier. Well, duh! Todd knows this. Please take notes if you can't keep up. She also tells him she's a doctor. Really? I did not know she was a doctor! Todd responds by saying that John's job is to take lives while hers is to save them and she corrects him by saying that John's job is to also save them; he just has a different set of tools. Here her voice holds contempt. I'm thinking she wasn't able to hide the fact that she doesn't like John because she thinks Rodney is hers.

Down in the pod control area Rodney says he's ready to input his new protocols. He asks again if John really wants him to do it and is told yes. All but one smallish auxiliary chamber accepts the new commands. Lorne looks bored with the whole thing. John asks how many are in there and Rodney says a couple dozen or so. Showing just how much of a guy he really is, John says they'll just have to find another way of dealing with the problem, then turns to a pack on the floor and picks up a block of C-4. Teyla, Ronon, Lorne and John then head out to deal with the chamber and come across one of the drones. Apparently the chamber wasn't accepting the new commands because it had already released its occupants.

John splits everyone into teams and has them all sweep the ship, shooting anything that moves. He takes a big burly guy with him. Huh, John's not using a P90 here. He's using the type of rifle that Jack used in the early seasons of SG-1.

Todd and Keller are still working and he's found something. She tried to use Iratus DNA in her treatment. She's looking like he just told her he loves her and wants her to have his babies. Todd has an idea and she's still looking very spooked. She calls John because Todd needs to speak to him. John asks if it can wait and she says 'apparently not' in a voice that says she'd rather be somewhere else. John sends his 'partner' to meet up with Teyla and Ramirez until he gets back and heads off to the lab. Todd says he's found a way to undo the treatment. He says that the Wraith haven't always been able to heal themselves. Says that hundreds of thousands of years ago a terminally ill Wraith could heal himself by allowing an Iratus bug, specifically a queen, to feed from him. They stopped doing it because it almost always resulted in the death of the Wraith in question. He only brings it up now because they are without options. There's a planet three day's from their current location that has what they need; namely a large Iratus bug colony. John shoots the plan down and when Todd objects the Marine left to guard Keller shifts his stance from one of watching to one of being on alert and ready to shoot if necessary. Todd says that John owes him the courtesy of being honest about his reason for not risking the jump to hyperspace. It's all because he doesn't want Todd and his crew to get well. John gets angry and reminds Todd that he broke their truce first last time and Todd reverts to instinct and rushes John with his 'feeding hand' raised. The Marines in the room, and when the hell did more arrive?, get between Todd and their CO. John doesn't even blink. When Todd remembers he can no longer 'feed', John can't quite keep the smirk off his face. Todd says that John owes him and John says he doesn't owe him anything then orders the Marines to get him out of there. Keller reverts to her childish pout and says she has no idea how she's going to finish her homework now that her tutor has been fired looking for a cure all by her lonesome since she's not as smart as she's lead everyone to believe. The ship starts to rumble and the lights flicker. Rodney calls John to get to wherever he is. John tells Keller to stop being a whinny little girl get back to work and she actually runs back to her laptop.

John arrives at the control area where Rodney is and is told that the hole that cut them off from the dart bay is getting bigger and starting to threaten hull integrity but that's not the biggest problem. He points at a screen that shows a top view of the ship from the outside with a green line flashing across the middle of it. Rodney says that's a line of structural weakness right across the width of the hive and if there's an explosive decompression the whole thing could be ripped in half. John calls everyone to fall back. As they're leaving one of the drones attacks one of the Marines. Ronon tries to save him but isn't successful. They get stuck behind a door that won't open and Rodney can't seem to override it. The hull starts to fail along the line of weakness and Rodney orders them to get out of there so Ronon shoots the door controls and they manage to make it out just as the ship breaks in half. The ship is now on a collision course with the planet.

John asks if they'll survive re-entry and Rodney says they will, in fact it'll slow them down a little but not enough. Ronon asks if he can get them to land in the ocean and Rodney says that at the speed they're traveling it won't matter. John pulls his Mate back from the brink and tells him to think of something. Rodney decides to try the forward maneuvering thrusters but they're not getting any power because the propulsion conduits have been ripped in half so he's gonna have to Aggie-rig something. Rodney says that he doesn't have time to actually do it so John goes to get Todd who's sulking because he was sent to his room without supper. Todd agrees to help when John swears to take him to 'his bug planet' and when they arrive on the bridge Todd orders Teyla to step aside. He says he can create a by-pass but it'll take time. Rodney tells him to take all the time he needs. Teyla says that they will impact the planet in 15 seconds and Todd says 'not if I can help it' then fires the thrusters and saves the day. Barely. He lands the ship in the ocean.

In the city Amelia is telling Woolsey that they've landed and he sends out rescue jumpers.

Later, Woolsey is relaxing in his office when John enters. Woolsey tells John that just minutes after him and his team were rescued the hive sank. John quips that he wishes he'd been awake to see that which means that inertial dampeners went off-line and they were all knocked unconscious. On the screen in Woolsey's office is the iso chamber where they're keeping Todd. John asks how he's doing and is told that Todd isn't responding to any treatment. Woolsey tells John that he received his request, I'm thinking he means a request to take Todd to the 'bug planet', and the conversation goes as follows:
Woolsey: I received your request.
John: And?
Woolsey: Forgive me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the one who wanted to destroy his ship when it first appeared?
John: Sounds vaguely familiar. (with that face he pulls when he knows he's been caught)
Woolsey: And now you want me to go against protocol and let him go?
John: Well, he is the reason we're alive.
Woolsey: *scoffs* I realize that Colonel, but he's also the reason you were in danger in the first place. Not to mention an incredible security risk.
John: All right, look, he's probably going to die anyway...
Woolsey: And if he survives?
John then gives a pretty little speech about how if Todd survives he's gonna remember they helped him and he might be willing to help them deploy the gene therapy if Keller ever finds her brain long enough to fix it.
Woolsey: You realize this is the kind of decision that could cost me my job?
John: Well, aren't they all?
We don't hear Woolsey give the go ahead but the next scene is John standing in front of an active wormhole and Todd comes walking up followed by two armed Marines that John then dismiss. Todd says he'll remember this and steps through the gate.

to the top

Indentity

I doubt I'll be able to do an actual review of this episode due to the large amount of screen time given to two characters who are not of the original cast. Not to mention the fact that I had a very difficult time believing the plot device because of what we learned from the SG-1 episodes Avalon part 2 and Origins.

We open on a woman that looks an awful lot like the actress that plays Larrin (what is it with the casting director and only hiring blonde actresses?). We, of course, have no idea what she's doing on Atlantis, and neither does she. In fact she doesn't know that she's in a poor remake of The Body Snatchers, I mean she has no idea that she's switched bodies with the star of The Jennifer Keller Show. She hears people approaching and, thinking she's there as herself, she 'sneaks' off.

I was right. I can't do a proper review of this because I just can't stomach that much Keller, so I'll just hit the 'high' points.

So, Neeva, as Keller, is in a lab when Radek comes in and asks if she's feeling alright. He also makes some comment about her possibly looking for Rodney. She stabs him and then looks in a mirror which is when we all figure out that she's not who she thinks she is. By this point those that like Keller are wondering where she is. I on the other hand couldn't care less and really wish they'd have left us guessing far longer. One review of the episode said it would have been better if they had showed each woman in the body they were now occupying and left us to guess why they were acting strangely since at this point we didn't know how the body switch happened. So Neeva makes her way around the city and sees a jumper arriving from somewhere, I'm guessing the mainland. She meets up with Rodney who thinks that her earwig isn't working correctly. When he reaches for it she thinks he's trying to kiss her and flinches. They go off to the mess and he thinks he's done something wrong. About that time she gets a call that Radek has been found stabbed. She now has to perform surgery. She keeps glancing at mirrors and monitors where we can see Keller but hear Neeva's voice. She manages to get out of having to perform the surgery by claiming she's ill. Out of everyone who has encountered Neeva it's Ronon who notices she's not herself. Everyone has said she's acting distracted but Ronon doesn't think Keller is Keller. You can see it in his eyes when Rodney, him and Neeva are talking and Rodney mentions puddlejumpers.

*snicker* Pausing her to say that I was obviously not watching this one at all when it first aired because Skiffy digitalized the picture right in the middle of the conversation and I didn't even notice. If I had noticed I would have recorded the repeat so I could see all the conversation.

Okay, so Carson arrives and they have him examine her. He finds nothing wrong. Carson says her problem isn't physical; it's mental. I shall let you make your own joke here. He has her spend the night in the infirmary and she ends up sneaking out. She asks some guy questions about how to get to the jumpers and he doesn't find it the least bit odd. Guess he's new and doesn't know that she's been in the city for a couple of years. Rodney catches her in the jumper. We find out that Keller doesn't have the gene and she starts using her feminine wiles to get Rodney to take her 'for a ride'. She even offers sex. Rodney tries to get her back to the infirmary and she pulls a gun on him. Ronon shows up and stuns her. Teyla, Rodney, Carson, John and Woolsey are looking at her drugged in an iso chamber talking about what could be wrong with her. I have to say I love Teyla's hair here. If I didn't know that Rachel's is very kinky I'd think she actually got to film an episode without wearing a wig. The boys minus Ronon go down and confront her. She accuses Radek of attacking her. The director screwed up here with his camera placement. He has her look over at a monitor and say 'Every time I look in a mirror, I see her looking back at me' but with the way the camera's placed, 'Keller' is looking away instead of at Neeva. We then get a flashback to her and her men raiding a storeroom and coming across an Ancient communication device. She picks up one of the stones and places it on the base of the device which switches her with Keller. According to what we already know about these devices both people have to not only have the gene they have to actually touch a stone. We then get a flashback from Rodney on how he thinks Keller came in contact with one of the stones. This scene shows just what it is I hate the most about Rodney's 'relationship' with Keller: instead of going to the movie on her own since he's tied up with his work she nags him in that annoying high pitched voice that makes dogs whimper in pain. Now we find out that Keller is in prison because Neeva is a thief. Neeva's reputation precedes her and Keller is not believed and sentenced to die. *throws confetti* Sorry, I really don't like her and I really want to see her die. Unfortunately since this is The Jennifer Keller Show we know there will be a last minute save. The team is talking about what to do and I'm reminded that in the SG-1 episodes the people that Daniel and Vala switch with didn't place their stones in the terminal they merely touched them. When they ask Neeva for her assistance she demands to be let go. They get to the planet and find out that the town is several hours away. Rodney complains, as usual, and Neeva asks if he always complains that much. John says 'only when he's awake' and I really wanted to smack him. We do not under any circumstances bad-mouth our Mate to the enemy, Jean-Luc! Neeva then asks if it's true that 'him and Keller are…' and John says 'Hard to believe, huh?' and I see that as him saying that it's not true so he wishes the rumor would just die, already while others saw it as him putting Rodney down again. Another way to look at it is as the jealous wannabe lover he showed us at the beginning of Brain Storm. Keller is wearing this tiny little dress that would look a hell of a lot better on my thirteen-year old daughter and is taken out into the woods to be killed. When the team arrive John says they're going to ask the townspeople for their help and Neeva forgets that she's in another woman's body. The team is met with resistance when they ask about the artifacts. The only person who can assist them is off preparing to kill Keller.

I have no idea why guys get so worked up over Jewel. She has almost no bust, as is evidenced by the low-cut dress she's wearing. When Neeva gets back into her own body it's like a different dress all together when worn by someone with large breasts.

Just as Keller is about to be killed, Neeva's men appear and kill the guards. Keller takes the opportunity to run off...and promptly trips over her own two feet a tree root. Honey, running through the woods ain't that hard. Keller now has to pretend to be a hardened criminal and I'm reminded of the Star Trek episode Mirror, Mirror where Kirk switches places with his counterpart in an evil alternate reality. A civilized man can act uncivilized easier than an uncivilized man can act civilized only here, the opposite is true. Neeva had an easier time pretending to be Keller than Keller had pretending to be Neeva. Neeva gets away from the team and finds where Keller is trying to convince Neeva's men that she's Neeva. There's a very telling line in this scene, if you know what to look for. When Neeva says that there are people from Atlantis on the planet looking for Keller she gets scared and asks 'W- w - wait a second. They're here? Who, Colonel Sheppard?' She didn't ask if Rodney had come for her. If I was in her shoes and my man was a member of the flagship gate team I'd be asking if he was there, not the military commander of the base. As they're walking to the gate Neeva tells Keller that she can do better than Rodney, um, no she can't because Rodney is going to be Co-Leader of a brand spanking new Clan soon so there. *sticks out tongue* The villagers have found them. One of Neeva's men bites it and she drops her head in grief which angers the other man. She then gets Keller's body shot. I think they shouldn't have brought Carson, as much as I love him, so that Keller would have to perform surgery on her own body. I'd give anything to see little Miss 'I'm so totally out of my element' handle that situation.

John intimidates the man into showing him where the terminal is and now the boys have to figure out how to turn it off. Keller encounters the remaining member of Neeva's gang and he points a gun at her and threatens to kill her. Ronon 'fixes' everything by shooting the terminal. Neeva now has to figure out a way to keep her man from killing her but she fails.

Rodney goes to visit the infirmary carrying flowers and chocolates and pretends to have forgotten that Radek is a patient too. Rodney acts like he's the perfect boyfriend but he is still the Rodney McKay I love. He suggests to Keller that he wants to take her on a jumper ride and have a moonlit picnic and she just blinks at him.

to the top

Vegas

This one was one I was eagerly awaiting. I mean, Joe in casual Earth clothes...*thud* *drool*

Can't remember if I mentioned this in the actual review of Identity or not, but at the end when Rodney goes to see Keller in the infirmary and asks if she wants to go for a jumper ride and a picnic she thinks he's ill again. So, basically she thinks he can only be nice when he's sick or she's nagging him (or threatening to not have sex with him, as seen in Brain Storm) into it. I can't believe the writers, who have been writing this character for five years now think he can only be nice if something's wrong with him or he has a woman telling him to 'play nice'. *shakes head* As much as I miss my show I'm glad it's gone since the writers have decided that Rodney's a jerk on his best days and a sweet guy when he's ill or trying to bag the pretty young doctor. *gag* (I only mention this because the recording of Vegas caught the last couple minutes of Identity)

Anyway, on to Vegas!

We open to the sounds of a guitar and a shot of vultures circling over head. A rusty old Camero (I had no idea that's what kind of car he was driving until another reviewer said so and from what research I did it looks to be a '79 Camero) pulls up to a crime scene deep in the desert. Police are taking pictures of the crime scene while a woman outside the tape is taking pictures of the police. John approaches and she calls out to him, he just ignores her. She keeps trying to get him to give a comment even though he's totally ignoring her. Hey, John? It doesn't work with Rodney and it's not gonna work with her. John steps inside the tape and is approached by one of the cops, I'm thinking he might be the CSI assigned to this case. He tells John that the victim was 'most likely a white male' and John says 'Most likely?' as if he's never heard the phrase before. CSI guy says that the victim had no clothes or ID and wasn't killed where they found him because there's no blood. We get a flashback of what they think happened: two guys scuffling in a truck. A lover's quarrel? Or one man wanted it but the other was homophobic? They don't say which one. We're told that they have tire tracks that point to an older-model pick-up and we get another flashback, this one of someone 'dumping' the latest victim. And the truck has a leak because they found radiator fluid. Ooo. This ep is doing the CSI 'zoom' thing whenever someone points out some evidence. I find it annoying here while being helpful in CSI. John steps over to the body and pulls back the tarp. The victim has been drained and there is a feeding mark on his chest. We can safely say that there wasn't any blood not because he was killed elsewhere but because he was killed by a Wraith. CSI guy says this is the eighth victim and John comments on the chest wound and we get another flashback of the Wraith killing Mr. Number Eight in the cab of his truck. And we get a CSI shot of the guy's heart being drained. Again, nothing but annoying. When John's done looking at the victim, CSI guy says 'I thought I'd seen everything' and John replies 'Yeah, me too. One day we'll learn'. This John's a tad bit more cynical than the one we all know and love. John walks back to his car.

Nice stock photo of the Vegas strip. The director for this episode must be a fan of CSI or he really wants to direct one of their episodes because he's trying to imitate their camera cuts. Trying and failing, btw. So, down in autopsy, someone is poking at the feeding wound on the victim with a pair of clamps. The camera pulls back and we see Keller (why couldn't it have been Carson!?) in scrubs and a mask (with way too much eye makeup) pretending to autopsy the guy. John walks in and tells her the guy's name and that he's been missing for three days and is 39 years old. She says 'You think this guy was 39 years old?' and John tells her to check the dental records because it wasn't natural causes. He tells her about the others and she tosses her head because the hair people thought it'd be cute if she had a bit of bang hanging in her face while she's supposed to be an actual doctor performing actual autopsies and such, and tells him she read the other autopsies. She says all she knows is there's no contagion and he asks if there's any chemical residue and she brushes him off with 'Detective, you'll get a copy of my report' which we all know means 'get out so that someone who actually knows what they're about can finish this so I can take all the credit'. He tells her about the radiation in the other victims and she just says 'When I'm done'. He asks for her name and she removes her mask, really wish she'd've kept it on she's much prettier when you can't see her face (sorry to Jewel fans) and says her name like she's Joan Bond or something 'Keller, Jennifer'. He tries, once again, to get her to tell him something by saying he has 'eight bodies in three months and I don't like it when the lead coroner on my case gets replaced by someone who doesn't look old enough to be in medical school'. Yay! Someone finally mentioned one of the things most fans don't like about her. She is such a Mary Sue it's not even funny. She makes a comment about the need for some fresh eyes and he says they should have just replaced him. *pets the John* Oh, honey, it's okay. I still love you. She asks about leads and he says (in a roundabout way) 'not really' then comments on the fact that the bodies appear to have had the life sucked outta them. She asks if he thinks that's really possible while doing something with her eyes that I can only guess is supposed to be flirty, and he says 'I don't know where you're from, but out here, anything's possible' and walks out. She puts the mask back on and gives a tiny little smirk.

At the police station, John's trotting down some stairs while on the phone asking about people being treated for radiation poisoning. Whoever he's talking to is worried about losing their job.

Flash forward to that night. In a no-tell motel a man is puking his guts out while heavy rock music thumps in the background. He gets up and picks up the phone, he was talking to someone when he got sick, and tells them he doesn't know what's wrong with him. That the doctors said it was a virus or something like that. Someone's paying for him to stay there and I'm guessing FBI. Or maybe not. He says that the whole trip's been a huge waste of time so maybe he's there on business? His nose begins to bleed and he ends the call. He lies down on the bed and knocks on the wall to demand his neighbor turn their music down. He then gets up to go over there. The door is opened by a figure in black and on the one hand we can see is a feeding slit. Guess the sick guy just became victim number nine.

In his office, John is doing paperwork. We now have canon evidence that at least one version of John does his own paperwork. The Johnny Cash poster that our John has on his wall in Atlantis is hanging on the wall in this one's office and there's a cut below John's left eye, high on his cheek, that wasn't there earlier. Two men in suits, one of them Woolsey, enter John's office. Woolsey says 'Nice to meet you' and holds out his hand. John just stares at it and remains sitting. John's Captain asks about his eye. He ignores that too and asks if the case has moved jurisdiction. Woolsey says he can't talk about why he's there but he'd like John to cooperate anyway. John says he's got nothing and Woolsey says he doesn't buy that because the bodies are turning up much more frequently and that means a progression. The Captain says that the first few bodies were buried and they only found them because coyotes dragged one out into the open but now the bodies are just being dumped out in the open for the vultures. John gets a text message at this point, and ya know Joe had to be loving the fact that he got to play with his Blackberry during a scene. Woolsey asks if the perp has grown more careless or more bold. John demands to know why the coroner's report shows no signs of the radioactive isotopes. Woolsey says that must be because none were found but you just know it's because a high schooler did the autopsy the FBI has taken the body and they are hiding all the evidence. John gets up, grabs his coat and tells Woolsey "Well, there were on the first seven' and walks out almost bumping Woolsey's shoulder. Captain asks where he's going and John says he's going to see a nurse.

At the hospital a nurse, I think this part should have been played by the actress who plays Amelia or even Vega, is showing John a patient's chart. The man is an out of towner. John can't believe she just let him go. She says he was seen by a doctor and they get people in there with flu-like symptoms all the time. John then asks why this one stood out and she says that he was complaining about nose bleeds and since John asked about radiation sickness... She really wants to help because if he was exposed it could be serious. John blows her off and she tries again by asking if she can look at his eye for him. He, again, side-steps the issue and begins to walk away. She asks if he'll call and he says 'Yeah, yeah, sure' and I'm not convinced. I don't think she is either. I wonder if they had a sexual relationship or maybe just a one-night stand.

John goes to the hotel of the guy the nurse told him about and gets the info he needs by flashing his shield. The motel manager says he checked out the day before and asks if the paper John shows him with the guy's picture is a medical report because if it is he needs to clean the room properly 'wash those sheets, ya know'. John responds with 'Yeah, wash those sheets. In the meantime let me see the register'. While John begins to look over the register, Marilyn Manson's song Beautiful People begins to play (I am deeply ashamed that I could recognize this song within the first couple of notes).

We now get to see the Wraith that has been killing people in Detective John Sheppard's town. He appears to be rather young. Todd would probably call him an adolescent. He's disguising himself with makeup, fake ears and teeth, gloves, contacts and sunglasses. We get a shot of his back and find out that the Wraith tattoos go all the way down and they have bony protrusions along their spines similar to the forehead ridges of Klingons from Star Trek. When he leaves the room we see the dead body of the man that John's looking for. As the Wraith is getting into his car, we see John staking out the motel.

Now we have The Rolling Stones' Sympathy For the Devil while following the Wraith, I think I'll call him Bubba, through Vegas to a casino where he's enters a backroom poker game. Two of the guys from The Sopranos are talking about something (and again I'm ashamed I know what show these two jerks are from even though I never watched it). At first you're not sure what it is they're discussing then one asks about a finger and the other just shrugs it off saying 'she'll be alright'. Excuse me?! If you had lost a finger would you 'be alright' without having it reattached? Somehow I don't think so. Bubba has the largest pile of chips in front of him. The missing finger was a pinky. The one guy who asked about the finger in the first place asks if his friend, whose maid it was that lost the pinky, is going to get rid of the dogs, guess one of them bit it off. He says 'no, I love those dogs'. Just about everyone has folded when the jerk who insists on keeping the animals who bit his maid around, think I'll call him Tiny, gets beat by Bubba. He says 'Nice hand, huh? You got me again. It's almost like you can read minds, huh?' and his friend says 'Only yours'. Actually, even if Bubba couldn't read minds, I bet he could have beaten Tiny because Tiny was distracted talking to his friend about his dogs biting off his maid's pinky. John enters and is frisked. Bubba is staring at John like he knows who he is, or rather who he is in another universe/reality. John approaches the table and does that thing he does with his lips when he's not sure about something. Tiny asks if John's a little outta his league at this table and John says 'What are you, my mother?' The game gets under way with John and Bubba staring each other down. Of course John is really there because Bubba is his prime suspect. I have a feeling that Bubba knows John's been watching him. John has a nice stack of chips and a pair of sixes. The dealer lays down another six and two sevens. I don't know anything about poker so I'm not sure whose cards these are. Bubba never once looks at his cards. It's down to just John and Bubba. The dealer lays down another seven, then tells John '22,000 to call'. Tiny says 'He doesn't have it'. John folds and Bubba takes all the chips. Tiny says again 'He didn't have it! No way!' I'm beginning to think he's talking about Bubba's hand. Bubba stands up to leave and Tiny doesn't want him to go. He gets thrown across the room for daring to touch him. Tiny lands on a glass table and everyone screams. Bubba then leaps over the poker table and John tries to stop him. A bouncer gets in Bubba's way and gets a punch in the face for his trouble. The other bouncer shoots Bubba several times but it doesn't even slow him down, mostly because he feed recently. John picks himself up off the floor and takes off after Bubba. He stops to pick up the bouncer's gun and then is out the door. The chase goes down the hall, some stairs, through back of house and across the roof. I really want Joe to get a job as the lead in a cop show, maybe with David as his partner. Bubba ends the chase by jumping off the roof. John watches in fascinated horror as Bubba gets up and limps off. As he turns from the roof edge you can tell that John is thinking 'What the fuck just happened here?'

John goes back to the motel and has the manager open Bubba's room. They find the dead guy and the manager wants to know if it's contagious. John says something about the guy next door checking out and manager dude says he never saw him, he used the TV. I'm thinking Bubba broke into the dead guy's room and checked him out. John begins to examine the room and finds a bag full of money. Ya just know he's thinking 'My payday has arrived'. When he puts the money in his trunk he notices the fluid on the ground where Bubba's truck was parked. At this time three black SUVs drive up and Woolsey gets out of one. John tells him about the other body and how he was just about to call it in but his tone of voice says he was going to skip town with the cash. Woolsey is there because of what happened at the casino. John asks if he's being followed and is told about the satellite locator on his car. Woolsey says he'd like John to come for 'a little ride' and John asks if he has a choice. A muscle in Woolsey's cheek jumps answering John's question. He gets in the SUV and off they go to Area 51.

At Area 51 he's put in an interrogation room and asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement. He refuses. When Woolsey tells Rodney, who looks really good in a dark suit with a purple shirt and tie, he says they should tell John anyway. Woolsey doesn't think they can trust him. Rodney doesn't care. He says they need his assistance. He enters the room to try and convince his Mate that he needs to sign the agreement. Rodney threatens to ruin John's life if he doesn't cooperate. I find this funny because really, what does the man have to lose? Absolutely nothing. He doesn't own his own home, he's over $13,000 in debt, has only $2,363 in the bank and it took him four years and two tries to become a detective. When Rodney asks how he's doing in quoting what he knows about John, John replies 'I also like spearmint gum'. Rodney responds by pulling a pack out of his pocket and throwing it on the table. John says he was joking and Rodney (who is using a monotone I've never heard David use before) says 'No, you weren't'. He then walks around the table and takes John back to his failed military career. This John was dishonorably discharged for disobeying orders to rescue a field medic trapped behind enemy lines. He was shot down, obviously survived, but killed four American soldiers and eight civilians. He barely avoided jail time and the record was sealed. Rodney threatens to release this bit of information to the public. As Rodney's walking out he turns and tells John, who has taken a seat at the table and a piece of gum, that he once met another version of him. Says he was very different and tries again to get John to behave. Rodney takes the seat opposite and tells John that they're not the bad guys that all they really want is to protect the planet. He begins to talk about the Stargate and alternate realities. John gets hung up on space aliens.

Bubba is in his trailer and he's having a flashback to the fight above Earth that ended in him crash landing in Nevada.

Rodney takes John to see The Chair and you can tell that John's fighting its call. No one actually says how that Hive found its way to Earth just that they defeated it with The Chair. John is then shown a crashed Dart and is told that Bubba is a Wraith. Rodney says it must all sound like sci-fi to John and John replies that he's not really a fan. That used to be true of Joe until he got the part as John Sheppard. Now he likes it due mostly to the loyalty of the fans. Rodney continues the tour and keeps telling John about The Stargate Program. This version of Rodney is a bit of a jerk. Acts like telling John all this is beneath him. John meets Todd.

Todd is starving and so is going insane. He babbles about being able to show John his destiny. Rodney warns that they can read minds and John physically snaps out of a mini trance. They then stand in a hallway while John regains his footing and Keller walks by. Rodney has had his hands in his pockets for most of this episode. When Keller walks by he says 'Jennifer' and she says 'Rodney' and he turns his head to watch her walk away. John's confused because she's the ME who did the last autopsy. Rodney tells John that they covered everything up, and were going to anyway, but he was like a dog with a bone. Rodney tells John that they think that Bubba is exposing himself to radiation, which is making him feed more often, to make a 'homing device' to call other Wraith. They've come to a room of sorts where Radek is talking to a group of scientists about the Wraith device. Rodney steps away from John to yell at Radek for his assumption that it's a bomb. Radek also looks very nice in a brown suit, white shirt and patterned tie. Radek brings up the alternate reality bridge that this Rodney built and Rodney gets even angrier about that. Radek calls him a child and Rodney responds with 'And yet I am still smarter than you'. Oh, yeah. Way to prove you're an adult, Rodney. John and Rodney are outside and Rodney gives John his card. John tells Rodney about the money. Rodney makes a comment about John being involved with the medic he tried to save. He even tells John that the other him was a hero. I wanted this Rodney to be the one we met in McKay and Mrs. Miller but from what he says here I don't think it is.

In his office, John's packing his things. He takes the Johnny Cash poster down and rolls it up. His captain comes in and asks what's going on. When John picks up the box with his stuff in it, we see his gun and shield on the desk. He hands the box to Captain, takes the Johnny Cash poster out and walks away. Now Johnny Cash's Solitary Man plays as we watch John run from his ruined life in Las Vegas. On the seat next to him is the bag with the money Bubba left behind. While he's driving he thinks back to what Rodney and Todd said to him. The part of him that's a better man surfaces and he turns around to go find Bubba for Rodney and his team.

Rodney, Woolsey and Radek are arguing about how to find Bubba. Radek suggests that maybe he went into hiding and Rodney snarks 'Oh, yes. He probably got a job as a Klingon at Star Trek: The Experience' and Woolsey says it shut down. I found that very funny since Robert Picardo played on Star Trek Voyager. Radek is disappointed because he never got to see it. Walter comes in to tell Rodney he has a call from John. When he picks the phone up you can see a wedding ring on his finger. I honestly didn't see it when I watched the pre-air version I downloaded. I wonder if he forgot to remove his ring while filming that scene or if this Rodney is married. John tells them that he found Bubba and Rodney has Walter get busy locating him. Woolsey reminds us that they have John's coordinates. Two jets are rerouted to deal with the threat. Despite being told to not engage, John does so anyway. Bubba has quite the arsenal in his little silver bullet trailer and John only has a pistol, I think it's a 9 mil but I don't know, with two clips. Stupid man that he is he only takes one clip. As he approaches the trailer Bubba fires a shot. It takes John a few seconds to realize he's been shot. Once he does, and sees the blood dripping down his shirt, he turns tail and runs for the relative cover of his car. He empties both clips. Bubba walks around the car and John tries twice more to fire. Bubba drops his guns and prepares to feed just as the jets approach. He runs for his trailer where he activates his beacon. Part of it gets through before the jets can take out the trailer. John tries to avoid the flying debris without moving too much. The transmission tore a rip in the space-time continuum instead of making it to Pegasus. Rodney says that John was a hero and if he hadn't found Bubba when he did the transmission would definitely have made it to Pegasus. Radek says that it would be strongest in whichever reality the rip lead to. Rodney then says 'He could be in a lot of trouble right now'.

Back at the thrailer, there's a line of burning debris and John tries to get up and walk away. He stumbles, then falls and rolls over onto his back. He's wearing a chain around his neck and for some reason I think there just might be a cross on it. I'd like to think he was rescued and survived but they don't say.

to the top

Enemy at the Gate

This one was really difficult for me because this was the last SGA episode ever and it didn't live up to my expectations. Not in the least. In fact it basically ended on a cliffhanger, although it wasn't a 'is someone going to die?' cliffhanger. Or a cliffhanger where the heroes have been killed a la Farscape

We open on a gorgeous shot of the city at night and the sound of a wormhole opening. In the control room, Amelia is telling John that they have an incoming wormhole. She puts the video feed up on a screen and it's Todd. John's surprised which tells me he thought Todd was dead, or he just never thought he'd hear from him again. Ever. When John reminds him that the last time we saw him he wasn't looking so good, he replies, 'Yes, well, you'll be pleased to know the treatment was successful, although excruciatingly painful.' And John replies, 'You're just saying that to make me feel good.' Todd chuckles a bit then tells John that he was able to resume his place as leader of the Alliance although he has had a setback. Todd steps back from the camera attached to the MALP and shows us the smoking remains of his shuttle. Todd says he was attacked by one of his underlings. Woolsey pipes up with 'Why should we care?' and I happen to agree with him. Todd's been nothing but a thorn in John's side since Common Ground and, like cockroaches and Michael, he just won't die. Todd informs them that it isn't the fact that this Wraith was able to defeat Todd but the way he did it that should concern our heroes and John has his 'I know I should be worried but I just can't seem to find the energy to care' face on. Woolsey asks Todd to explain and we're told that this underling has a ZPM.

Woolsey and John are talking to SGA-1 about it and Ronon and Rodney don't believe that Todd's underling has a ZPM because they're extremely hard to get a hold of and, as Rodney puts it, they don't grow on trees. Ronon's distrust of Wraith is coming out here and he doesn't like the fact that Todd is running to them every time he has a problem he can't solve on his own. Teyla thinks he mentioned the ZPM, which she calls a zero point module, simply to get their attention. Woolsey is inclined to give Todd the benefit of the doubt because he has to know that they'd discover the truth if he lied to them and because Todd has agreed to place himself into their custody. John, because he knows his secret lover so well, says he's positive there's something Todd's not telling them. Woolsey agrees that Todd hasn't told them everything but he says that doesn't mean that he's lying about the ZPM. Rodney says that if Todd's telling the truth then it's very, very bad because insufficient energy is the weak point of Wraith tech and if they get their hands on a ZPM, which is an extremely stable energy source, they could overcome this weakness. Woolsey says it's a threat they can't tolerate and they won't.

What passes for the opening credits for this season and commercials. I really hate that Geico commercial with the stack of money with the eyes on it. But not as much as I hate the HMS commercials with the asshole who basically told the one lady who objected to his use of foul language in his commercials to fuck off.

Back to the show. Woolsey enters a room where Todd is sitting at a table looking like he's more of a guest than a prisoner. When Woolsey says 'Well, here we are again' Todd replies, 'Indeed. This city has become quite familiar to me. Almost a respite from daily life' as if Atlantis is a spa where he goes to recharge. I believe he's the only Wraith, other than Michael of course, to leave Atlantis alive and return numerous times. He makes a comment about it being a shame to see the city destroyed and Woolsey takes this as a threat. Woolsey asks where the ZPM came from and Todd tells him he stole it from the Asurans. Woolsey asks just how many Todd took and is told that is an unnecessary detail. I happen to disagree. Just how many he has is very much an important and necessary detail. Woolsey asks why Todd waited a year to use the ZPM as his hive's power source and Todd tells him that it has taken this long to make the tech compatible. He had his best scientists working on the project and recently one succeeded only he doesn't want to turn it over to Todd, he wants to keep it for himself. So Woolsey says 'And now you want us to help you kick him to the curb' and Todd says yes in a very roundabout way by telling Woolsey that if he attacks now he just might be able to destroy it but if he waits it might be too powerful.

Cut to the Daedalus in hyperspace. Todd has been given 'quarters' and a grey jumpsuit to wear. John enters. Todd asks if it was necessary to remove his transmitter and force him to wear the stupid looking jumpsuit. John basically says yes and Todd then asks if that means that his request to be on the bridge when they make contact…John jumps in with 'Denied'. Todd accepts this. John tells him, 'Here's the problem… Every time we get involved with you, I feel like I'm walking around with a live grenade in my pocket. Just waiting for it to all go wrong, for that one thing you forgot to mention.' Todd tries to tell him that this time's different but John's been burned by his secret boyfriend too many times. He's not going back again and he's not going to be listening to anymore of his lies. As John's leaving Todd asks 'If you really feel that way, why would you let me go after our last encounter?' and John says 'We had a deal and you kept up your end of the bargain. And to be honest, I didn't think you'd live.' And now we know that Todd broke John's heart and he was hoping that if Todd died he could finally get over this stupid infatuation he has with him. And Todd realizes this too. John's parting words this time are 'If I find out you're playing us, I'm not gonna wait for authorization, there isn't gonna be any paperwork, I'm just gonna kill ya.' Oh, this is bad. Todd broke him so badly that he's gone cold-blooded and Todd is feeling the guilt for it, too. He hates that he hurt the Human he loves so much in this way.

SGA-1 enters the bridge all kitted up and Caldwell demands to know just where the frell they think they're going and John tells him to drop them off so they can go to the store, they forgot something in cloaked and check things out. If it's as Todd says Caldwell can then come in, guns blazing. Caldwell agrees but reminds them to be home before curfew careful.

In the jumper, John turns on the cloak and Rodney is intrigued by the higher than normal energy readings from the hive. Teyla asks if it could be from the ZPM, I wish the writers would be a bit more consistent here because earlier she called it a zero point module and now she's calling it a ZPM, and Rodney says he can't say for sure this far out. Caldwell asks for a sit rep and John says that they're going in for a closer look and you can tell that Caldwell doesn't want to be the bad parent anymore but also doesn't want the flagship team to get hurt. When they get closer Rodney says that the hive is growing bigger and adding a denser outter hull and John asks for clarification. Rodney says that hives have a limit of growth because if they grew too heavy or dense they wouldn't be able to enter hyperspace and would be difficult to maneuver. The really bad news about this is that when the hive's done, it will be all but impossible to penetrate the hull. Suddenly alarms sound and Rodney says they're powering weapons. Ronon demands 'They can't see us, right?' and Rodney thinks they're just running a test but the weapons fire goes right over the bow of the jumper. From years of watching NCIS I no longer believe in coincidences and so I'm fairly sure that the hive can now see the jumper due to the ZPM. Rodney confirms my suspicions. John turns tail and runs while calling for Daddy Caldwell to help. John says he's gonna drop the cloak since it ain't working no more and Rodney says 'Not to mention, you could fire back' and John has to remind his Mate that despite the fact that the jumpers respond to John's every thought he can't concentrate on dropping the cloak, flying and firing at the same time. They take a hit to a drive pod and someone, Rodney I think, says 'We're hit!' Thanks for the update, Mr. Obvious. Rodney jumps up to do what he does best; calm John with a blowjob find a way to fix the jumper.

The Daedalus arrives just in time to block what would have been a kill shot to the jumper. Caldwell tells Marks to fire at will and the hive fires back causing the shields to fail and for the ship to lose hyperdrive and all weapons. On the jumper, Rodney has restored power to the controls but not weapons. Teyla draws everyone's attention to the fact that the hive has opened a hyperspace window. On the Daedalus Caldwell is talking to SGA-1 while they remove their gear in the ready room. He can't figure out why the hive didn't finish them off. John is anxious to return to Atlantis but Caldwell says it could be days or weeks before they're back on-line. I'm surprised Rodney didn't demand to be the one to work on rebuilding the systems. I mean, c'mon. He's the smartest man in two galaxies so shouldn't he be the one fixing the problem? Marks comes in at this point and says he's found something they need to see. They all follow him out and to what I'm guessing is engineering where Kavanagh is looking at a monitor. Rodney demands to know what he's doing there and Kavanagh says, 'Reassignment. More fun and adventure in the Pegasus Galaxy' Caldwell interrupts with 'Show us what you got, please' in a tone that clearly says 'Don't make me pull this spaceship over, because I will'. Kavanagh tells them about a subspace signal that the hive got right before it jumped to hyperspace. He says it was a good thing he was monitoring the sensor or they'd never have picked it up at all. And here I thought Rodney's ego was the largest in the universe. Rodney says it's Wraith code and Kavanagh says, 'Obviously. We're having trouble deciphering it because the message is interlaced with a residual radiation and I've never seen it before.' Rodney has, though. Once when we met another Rodney and once when we encountered the other Daedalus. He tells everyone that it's from another reality. Caldwell can't wrap his brain around what this means so Rodney explains that 'some Wraith, somewhere in another reality, sent a coded signal, only whatever means they used to access subspace created a rift, allowing the signal to cross into multiple realities, including our own.' Ronon wants to know what it says and Rodney makes Kavanagh move so he can figure it out. And here we have the tie in with Vegas. The message has the coordinates for Earth.

John, Rodney and Caldwell leave engineering and head for, I'm guessing, the bridge. They're discussing what they just found out. Caldwell wants to send a message to Atlantis to contact Earth as soon as communications are back up. Rodney says he has an idea. He asks how many ships they have available and is told that there's the Daedalus, the Apollo and the Sun Tzu. John asks about the Odyssey and is told it's on some secret mission that not even he's [Caldwell] allowed to know about. I'm thinking that mission is supposed to be from the SG-1 movie Ark of Truth. Rodney says that two will have to be enough and details his plan. He thinks (he says he's positive) that the hive will still have to drop out of hyperspace for hull regeneration and he can pin-point where that'll be exactly and Caldwell says it's risky, if Rodney's wrong…and Rodney reminds him that he's always right, except for when he's not.

At Atlantis, the Daedalus has returned. When SGA-1 beam down, John asks what they missed and is told that the good news is that there are no other hiveships heading for Earth. John then asks for the bad news and Woolsey tells Chuck (yay, Chuck's in the final episode!) to show them. The bad news is that Apollo and Sun Tzu are out of the picture and the modified hive is still on its way to Earth.

John's striding through the city when Rodney catches up to him and they have one of those conversations where they're both on the same page only Rodney isn't actually aware of it. John goes to see his secret lover and tell him that things didn't go according to plan and Todd wants to know if John intends to hold him responsible. When John says 'All I know is that everything went sideways, the way it always does when you're involved. Are you going to tell me that's a coincidence?' Todd wants to know if he's going to make good on his threat. John sits down and asks about the other ZPMs. He offers to go easy on Todd if he tells what he knows and Todd asks if that means he'll let him go and John says 'Probably not' then reminds him that this Wraith betrayed Todd and got away with it so Todd might want to help our heroes out of pure spite, if nothing else. Todd laughs and tells John he knows how to sweet talk him. Lorne's team is sent to the planet where Todd's holding the ZPMs. He brings home two fully charged ZPMs. Woolsey is surprised that Todd told them the truth and now John's rethinking his stance on never letting Todd warm his bed again. Woolsey tells Lorne to get them to Radek right away and John says they might blow up once they're plugged in so Woolsey amends that order to 'Have Dr. McKay check them first' and Lorne looks at his Sire, says 'Right' and heads off to find his Sire's Mate. John turns and says he's heading to the chair room and Woolsey tells him he won't be flying the city and in fact he won't be coming with them at all. John's been recalled to Earth to help fight the Wraith in case they don't get there in time, which they just might not. You know they won't because that makes for great drama.

On Earth, Sam greets John.

Back in Atlantis, Rodney and Radek are getting the chair ready. When Rodney asks who's going to fly her, Carson enters and says it'll be him. Rodney doesn't understand because Carson doesn't really get along with the chair all that well. Remember how he almost shot down John and Jack in the pilot, writers? Hm? Do you? You'd think you would since you wrote both episodes! I want to know why Rodney or Lorne didn't fly the city. They both are more comfortable with their gene. When Rodney questions it Carson says that after John he's number two. Um, no. I'm thinking Lorne's gene is stronger than Carson's and Rodney's combined. Not to mention, Lorne's a pilot so he knows how to fly better than Carson does. Carson sits down and the chair reclines. We get a very funny shot of Paul in the chair that makes it painfully obvious that he's shorter than Joe and David because his arms are fully extended with his shoulders not flush with the back of the chair and his legs are straight with his feet on the footrest, a position that both Joe and David have to bend their knees to achieve.

Back on Earth, John and Sam are walking the halls and Sam tells John that she's in charge until Landry gets back from Washington where he's heading up a task force. She tells him that she's been given command of the new Daedalus-class ship; The George Hammond. I love the tribute to Don S. Davis here. His heart attack was very sudden and was felt throughout the entire fan community. I had a chance a few years ago to see him at a con here in Dallas, but I chose to go to the lake with friends for the weekend instead. Of course the fact that I would be paying the 'at the door' cost of somewhere around $200 was the deciding factor. But regardless, I still hate that I didn't go. John asks if he's gonna be taking a C-130 to McMurdo and is told 'Not exactly'. She introduces him to Major Davis, of course she forgot that they know each other since they're in the same Clan (she tends to forget John's a vampire). I can't believe that after all these years, Davis is still a lowly Major. *shakes head* Who did he piss off to get passed over for promotion? The hive has taken up orbit around the moon. Sam thinks its completing its upgrades and John suggests they attack before it can. John asks Davis to add nukes to the 302s. When he leaves the room, Sam turns to John and tells him that's not why she brought him to Earth. He tells her he can sit in the chair and wait for the Wraith to get stronger or he can take the fight to them.

Back on Atlantis, Woolsey finally calls Teyla and Ronon to his office to offer them a chance to join them in the fight. They should have been asked this before he had Carson take the city into hyperspace. He says that they are being asked to take part in what might very well be the losing part of a battle that isn't theirs and Ronon says 'You mean like everyone on this base has been doing for the past five years?' Ronon and Teyla decide to stay and fight with their adopted family. I wonder if Kanaan and Torren John were allowed to leave the city before all this and if there are any Pegasus peoples, other than Teyla and Ronon, still within her walls. If there are, has Woolsey offered to let them off too?

On Earth, John says it appears they're ready to go but Sam says it took too long. The hive is still in lunar orbit but it has released some darts. It looks like they're headed to Area 51 because that's where the chair was in the other reality. John says to let them hit the base, after they get all personnel out of course, then when the hive comes down they can surprise them with drones from the weapons platform. Sam and Davis look chagrined because the chair was moved to Area 51 less than a month ago because it was in violation of the Antarctic non-proliferation treaty.

John and a team of 302 pilots engage the darts. Two break off and head for their target. John loses a man then takes a hit to one of his wings. The two darts John was after, are on a suicide run and slam into the buildings, destroying them. John just barely manages to avoid biting the dust.

John heads out to space despite being ordered to return. His plan is to wait for the hive to enter orbit then fly inside and blow his nuke. I don't see how he's able to fly with only one wing, much less go into orbit. (plot hole!)

On Atlantis, they've dropped out of hyperspace too soon. Rodney says that the hyperdrive hasn't been run at full power in over 10,000 years so there are bound to be a few glitches. I thought they flew the city in First Strike, Adrift and Lifeline. Or am I not remembering that correctly? Or did they fly the city with only one ZPM? When Rodney goes to try and figure out what happened, Woolsey has Radek recalibrate the gate so they can dial Earth and alert them to their situation.

Sam and Davis are discussing what could go wrong with John's plan when Walter approaches and tells them the gate's off-line. Hm. Anyone thinking what I'm thinking? Sam and Davis apparently aren't because they look terrified at the thought that they're best means of escape, or rather the best means of 'protecting' the IOA, is not working.

In Atlantis, Woolsey is trying to contact SGC and Rodney tells him he's picking up an energy signature feeding back through the wormhole. Yep, I was right! The hive has a gate. Rodney now has an idea. Send a team onto the hive and destroy it from within. Since they know there'll be drone Wraith waiting for them, they toss some grenades through and wait a few minutes. Rodney asks if anyone thinks that did the trick, and Ronon says 'Only one way to find out' then steps through the gate, blaster drawn. Just before the gate shuts down, Lorne confirms that the guards have been removed from the equation and they're moving on. Woolsey turns and tells Radek he should have sent more Marines with them and Radek tells him that that would have just jeopardized their chances of success. Radek tells Woolsey about a project Rodney's been working on for a wormhole drive. He says if it works, it'll have them there in a matter of seconds.

Back at Earth, we get a shot of John's 302 from above and it appears to have miraculously repaired itself. There aren't even any scorch marks from weapons fire.

On the hive, the team is walking around when Ronon shoves Rodney out of the way of a Wraith stunner. Ronon and Rodney head off in another direction while Teyla and Lorne lay down some cover fire. Ronon and Rodney encounter some Wraith and a fierce fight ensues. It appears that one Wraith begins to feed from Rodney but we don't see him age. I'm guessing the Wraith couldn't get a 'lock' on him through his jacket. I want to know why Lorne allowed his Sire's Mate to go on a mission without a TAC vest. While Ronon is killing the Wraith that dared try to feed from Rodney, another pulls a knife and stabs Ronon in the kidney. Or so I thought. When Teyla shows up, Rodney tells her that Ronon's lung was hit which leads one to ask 'when did Rodney get a medical degree?' Ronon tells them to 'just go'. Teyla says they won't leave him, at which point he dies. Teyla gets very pissed and takes it out on the approaching Wraith with her P90, right beside Rodney's ear. When Lorne finishes with his group, he turns and pulls Teyla and Rodney from Ronon's side. John calls SGC and tells them he's made it inside. He tells Sam that he's arming the nuke and asks her to tell Atlantis he said good-bye when she shows up.

Rodney, Teyla and Lorne are running from the Wraith and they intercept John's call to SGC. Rodney convinces his Mate to not blow the place. At least not yet. He thinks he can get them off the hive and rig a remote detonator.

Woolsey goes to tell Keller that they're about to fire up the wormhole drive and if it works they could find themselves in the middle of a combat situation so her and her staff need to be prepared. She timidly asks 'And if it doesn't?' Um, little girl? Think about this. If it doesn't work then no one will need you because you'll be dead. Duh! Tell me again why this mouse of a woman is the CMO of a military base in a war zone?

John meets up with Lorne, Teyla and Rodney. John asks where Ronon is and both Teyla and Lorne's faces say it all.

A Wraith brings Ronon back to life and he just quips 'That was real nice of you'. The Wraith wants answers to some questions.

On Earth, Davis is telling Sam that the hive has completed its surface scans. Is it looking for the most populated areas? Or is it looking to see if we have any weapons we could use to try and fight with? Sam says it'll target the military installations first, then the power grids to send the population into a panic.

The Wraith demands to know how many humans are on his ship and when Ronon doesn't answer he steps on his wound, then demands 'Where are they?' just before P90 fire drops his drone guards and them him. John approaches and says 'How ya don' Chewie?' and helps Ronon up. Teyla remembers to pick up Ronon's gun before following her team out of there.

The hive is powering weapons and Sam asks for a sit rep from John. He says they got Ronon and are on their way to the gate. Rodney says 'Five minutes to get there, five minutes to recalibrate the DHD for local coordinates' John does the math for everyone and says 'Ten minutes'. Sam says no dice, the Wraith have powered weapons. John turns to Rodney and demands the detonator. Rodney tries to change his mind by saying he actually meant two minutes to recalibrate the DHD. John's not buying it this time. Just before John can press the button, Sam tells him to wait, they're detecting another ship. It's Atlantis! John and team resume their way to the gate. When they get there, John says 'Get to work, Rodney'. While he sets to work on the DHD, the rest of the team lay down cover fire. Atlantis is losing orbit and Carson can either keep shooting or fix their position, not both. Rodney finishes with the DHD and dials the Alpha site. Just before going through, John sets the detonator and blows up the hive. Atlantis doesn't have enough power to avoid falling to Earth but she does have enough to maintain the shield. Woolsey contacts SGC and tells them that Carson is going to try and land them in the water. Sam tells Walter to get the President on the phone.

In the infirmary, John stops by to see how Ronon's doing. Ronon doesn't think they'll be allowed to take the city back to Pegasus and John promises he'll get Ronon home, to which Ronon replies, 'This is my home'. Before John can respond, a woman with long hair walks up and asks if she's interrupting. I have no clue who she is but John and Ronon seem to know her. John leaves and she tells Ronon she heard he died than came back to life and now I know her! It's Amelia! She asks if he's up to taking a walk because there's something she wants him to see. In this scene there is some inconsistencies. In one shot, Ronon's on top of the covers and in the very next one, he's under them. Pay attention to this, guys! Us fans do notice this stuff.

John goes to see Todd. Todd gloats that the day was saved due to his ZPMs and John says 'That's right. Question is, what would happen next time?' and Todd asks if there will be a next time. John doesn't answer.

Amelia helps Ronon walk out onto a balcony and we see that Carson managed to land them in San Francisco Bay. Woolsey, Carson, Teyla, Rodney and *gag* Keller are all there enjoying the view. SGC has declared the area around Golden Gate Bridge off limits. John appears and takes his place between Teyla and Ronon. I'm not going to finish this scene because it just makes me gag. Keller should not be in that last shot! That just totally ruined my grief over losing my show. Of course the producers ruined it even worse by having an ad for SGU just after they faded to black.

So, that was the very last SGA episode. When this ended I was looking forward to a movie but have now heard that tptb are fucking around so much that it's possible there won't be one. Thanks for showing us fans how much we mean to you, assholes. I'll watch the first episode of SGU just to see what it's all about but if they kill off the older characters in that first episode, I won't watch a single one after that. Not even if they bring Joe, David, Michael Shanks, RDA and/or Jason in to guest star.

to the top

back | email me

This site and its contents ©2009. All rights reserved.