Resources

Reference material for authors and artists of the PotC and/or Age of Sail persuasion
in rather haphazard order, for now.


(Have you a link that belongs here? Please share!)

 

Pirates of the Caribbean Wiki
(pirates.wikia.com) A PotC Encyclopedia!
Pirates of the Caribbean Wiki
(piratesonline.wikia.com) Another one!
Molly Joyful's List Of Useful Resources
Just about anything you might wonder while writing your Age of Sail fic, you'll find an answer here. Seriously, anything.
Fanfiction University of the Caribbean
Providing information and links to help in the creation of canonically and historically accurate fanfiction.
 
1796 Map of the West Indies
"A general chart of the West India Islands with the adjacent coasts of the Spanish continent." This is an enormous map with zoom capability, so you can zoom out to see the whole area, and zoom in to see every little cove and inlet and shoal around Port Royal, or Tortuga, or anywhere else you want. If you are like me, you will lose yourself for days in this map.
Tortuga
A drawing from the 17th century (public domain image).
Bootylicious - A History of Pirates
"Pirates had strict but unconventional codes of behavior, and some historians claim them as early progressives—with democracy, economic fairness, racial tolerance, and even health care."
Very informative New Yorker article.
Pirates of the Caribbean
In Fact and Fiction
Homosexuality in Eighteenth-Century England
A Sourcebook Compiled by Richard Norton
The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913
A fully searchable edition of the largest body of texts detailing the lives of non-elite people ever published, containing 197,745 criminal trials held at London's central criminal court.
 
Minotaur's Sex Tips for Slash Writers
Where you'll find the classic version (a how-to manual that covers simply everything) and his searchable database of questions and answers, to help you write it right. R.I.P., Minotaur, and thank you.
Sex-Lexis
The Language of Love, Lust, Sex and All the Many-Splendored Things in Between in Teenspeak - Jockspeak - Menglish - Slanglish - Spanglish Gaylese - Americanese - Britspeak - Ozslang - Funetic Populo-Vulgar Speech - T-Shirt & Net Shorthand Pompo-Verbosity & other Figurative Lingos
The Online Etymology Dictionary
An indispensable tool for anyone writing period fiction or fanfiction, because it shows when a word came into use, and (if in use) what it meant in the Age of Sail - which may not be what it means now!
The Phrase Finder
Meanings and Origins of Phrases, Sayings and Idioms.
One Look Dictionary
Dictionary and thesaurus on steroids. Find definitions and related words. Find words that start or end with certain letters. Reverse Dictionary: Find words (and phrases) relating to concepts!
Common Errors in English Usage
by Paul Brians. Mixed-up, mangled expressions; foreign-language faux pas; confused and confusing terms; commonly mispronounced words—they're all explained in this useful guide.

Guide to Grammar and Writing
by Professer Charles Darling, Capital Community College. Huge site covering just about everything you can imagine.
WRITE OR DIE!
When you just need a kick in the butt.
Writing Links & Links for Writers
Writers' Resources on The Web and More.
 
Sex Slang Words & Phrases Jack Sparrow Might Know & Use
From The Big Book of Filth: 6500 Sex Slang Words and Phrases by Jonathon Green (1999), compiled by captsparrow4evr.
A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue
In text form at Gutenberg (dated 1811).
A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue
The actual book itself, scanned (dated 1785).
JackSpeak
Language and Slang of the Royal Navy.
Glossary of Nautical Terms
Wikipedia, what would we do without you?
William Falconer's Dictionary of the Marine
A COPIOUS EXPLANATION OF THE TECHNICAL TERMS and PHRASES EMPLOYED IN THE CONSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT, FURNITURE, MACHINERY, MOVEMENTS, AND MILITARY OPERATIONS OF A SHIP. ILLUSTRATED WITH variety of Original DESIGNS of SHIPPING, in different Situations; Together with separate VIEWS of their Masts, Sails, Yards, and Rigging. (1780)
 
General Principles of Working a Ship
From The New Practical Navigator (1814).
Navigational Know-How
Understanding Navigation, for writers and readers. The Points of Sail and Ship's Headings.
Boy's Manual of Seamanship
To Be Used in the Training Ships of the Royal Navy (1871).
(Lots of relevant info in here)
A Guide to Rigs
A "Rig" of a sailing vessel is determined by the number of masts, their positions, and the sails that can be set.
Timekeeping at Sea
Thank you to sharpiefan at Livejournal.
Ship Watches & Bells
Eight bells and all is well!
Sailing and Fighting Instructions for His Majesty's Fleet. (1775)
The Articles of War
Royal Navy, 1749
 
Traditional Nautical Superstitions
Many nautical superstitions have roots in an underlying truth or consideration for safety, but most reach so far back in time as to have their origins clouded in history forever.
The 1662 Book of Common Prayer
Includes The Solemnization of Matrimony, and Forms of Prayers to be used at Sea.
 
Glossary of 18th Century Costume Terminology
Costume of Britain and British-influenced areas (such as its American colonies), with a lesser focus on France and New France, and occasional other examples where British or French examples are lacking.
Vintage Costumers
Period clothing with photos. Excellent reference.
 
Elessil's Manipping Tutorial
Everything you need to get started.
Screenmusings Screencaps
Curse of the Black Pearl
Dead Man's Chest
At World's End
On Stranger Tides

Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed
them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.

Real Time Web Analytics