Men Must Work

The Groves/Gillette Series, Chapt. 6

Coffee Talk

by

Gryphons Lair

Pairing: Gillette/Groves
Rating: G
Disclaimer: The characters of POTC are under indenture to the Mouse. I just borrow them from time to time to amuse my friends.
Originally Posted: 10/19/05
Summary: A Men Must Work Universe fragment. Did you ever wonder what Groves and Gillette talked about while James was upstairs shaving in Dreams and Desire?

 

"You're late." Theo's smile took any reproach out of the words.

"Morning, Theo. I've told James he can borrow your shaving-tackle and run off with one of your shirts." Andrew slid into his usual chair and decided, after a quick glance upward, that his commanding officer could bear a little more teasing. "He fell asleep at his desk again and is, as you can see, in no fit state to be seen in public." He saw Theo hesitate and made the finger-circling gesture that meant 'play along' where James couldn't see.

"Of course." Theo handed James the key. "Second floor, last room on the left. Take anything you need."

James took the key with a wry smile. "Thank you."

A waiter appeared, and Andrew ordered coffee and rolls. When the man left, Theo said, "He's on the stairs. What's this about, really?"

"I told you." Andrew stole the last slice of Theo's toast. "I found James asleep at his desk."

"So? He does that sometimes, you know that as well as I." Theo pushed the marmalade toward him without being asked.

"But this is the third time this month!" Andrew spread marmalade on the toast, frowning. "I'm honestly afraid he's going to work himself into a collapse if he keeps it up much longer."

The waiter reappeared. He unloaded warm rolls, butter, cream, and a fresh pot of coffee from his tray, provided Andrew with a clean cup and filled it, topped up Theo's cup, and left.

"I admit he looks a bit worn." Theo added two lumps of sugar to his own coffee, and a good dollop of cream to Andrew's. "But don't you think you're being a little melodramatic?"

"No, I bloody well do not!" Andrew bit savagely into the toast, washing it down with half his coffee. "Mullroy asked me if he was sickening for something yesterday." He crunched the rest of his toast, licking the marmalade from his fingers. "Even the mids are starting to notice how touchy he is."

Theo frowned, and passed him half a buttered roll. "Warren is a fairly observant little beast."

"Crawford isn't."

Theo's knife clattered into his plate. "Crawford said something to you?"

"Not to me. He knows I despise him." Andrew poured them both more coffee. "He said something to Stevens, who passed it on."

"Hmmm." Theo bit into a roll. "Speaking of Stevens..."

"Hasn't seen him there in over a week; I asked."

Theo finally looked almost as worried as Andrew thought he should be. "Has there been an increase in attacks by the French? New orders from the Admiralty? Anything along those lines?"

"You know I'd have told you if there were." Andrew drained his cup, set it down. "Both ships are taking longer cruises, with less time ashore between; we've no other option, until the Admiralty comes to its senses and sends us a replacement for the Interceptor. So there's the same work ashore to fit into less time, but it's more than that." He frowned into his cup. "James has been working late every night, starting early, taking on tasks he could just as easily delegate to one of us—And yes, I know he's done it before, but never for this long."

"Well, what do you propose—" Theo broke off, glanced over his shoulder. "Here he comes."

"What I propose," Andrew said, "is that we press-gang him into a night on the town. Make him relax." He smiled wryly. "We're done it before."

Theo pretended to be shocked. "Are you proposing to get your commanding officer drunk?"

"Or laid. Or better yet," Andrew spread his hands, grinning, "both."

Theo dropped his voice to a murmur. "Volunteering, Andrew?"

Andrew smirked. "I thought perhaps we'd take turns."

Theo laughed, then indicated James' approach with a flick of his eyes. They both turned toward him.

"James, there you are at last! I was about to send out a search party!" Andrew said. "Ho, there! Waiter! A fresh pot for the Commodore!"

 


The Groves/Gillette Series
Chapter 5

 

Leave a Comment
(If you're commenting about a specific chapter, please mention that.)

 

Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed
them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.